Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
I was talking about thus with a couple of friends. I suspect that the department heads and the CMC didn't say anything because they legitimately enjoyed the increase in power and authority they were each and to grab with the captain basically abdicating his position.

I say this with some insight as during my last tour DH I had a very, very poor captain that would lock himself up in his cabin for days sometimes and I made some decisions above my paygrade. It was a lovely situation, but it felt awesome to no poo poo be the man in charge even for a brief moment.

Plus there is certainly an undercurrent of fear of punishment if it was reported to the ISIC, which I can sympathize with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Netanyahu posted:

Other than the Seals/jets, what other cool poo poo is the US Navy responsible for doing that the general public might not be aware of?

The US Navy is the official time keeper for the US Government, and most of the world by default. They maintain the Atomic Clock at the US Naval Observatory. This time is then fed to the GPS system, which is the time signal that thousands of other stems world wide use for their basic functioning.

Additionally the vast majority of data that NOAA uses and distributes to predict the weather and ocean environment, and further refine and develop their models, comes from regular messages that Navy ships at sea send with there observations.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Snowdens Secret posted:

Seriously, it sounds like they were without an XO for only three weeks and they keep calling an O-4 DH a 'junior officer'. But no, THE TWILIGHT ZONE. Also they break out a laundry list of poo poo like the quals being hosed and then make it sound like it was squadron's fault in the first place. The most serious thing seems to be that they didn't have the captain on the bridge for the unrep? Is this really that bad?

Also my CO shared his head with at least one other officer the entire time I was on board and no one thought that was weird

They were without an XO for closer to 3 months. Also the article is terrible and focused on the frat and general weirdness of the situation, but there were a lot of other issues. Most notably watch bills went out the window and everything became ad hoc. Also major programs and most maintenance went to poo poo as well.

Also the CO not being on the bridge for an UNREP is a huge deal. However, in addition to that, he wasn't up there for sea and anchor details pulling in and our of port either which is a huger deal. Here in Command School I have a secondhand story that it was so bad that one time the TRAINO came up on the bridge semi-randomly when they were getting ready to pull into port (in Thailand I think) and found he was the only officer up there so he just took OOD and the CONN with the pilot and some blue shirts filling in the rest of the positions kind of haphazardly.

The whole thing was a dumpster fire.

Also technically O4's are JO's, though in practice most people do not consider them part of JOPA.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Stultus Maximus posted:

I could have sworn I read somewhere that in the Navy O4s are neither junior nor senior officers, unlike every other service which has O1-3 junior (company grade) and O4-6 senior (field grade). LCDRs are just stuck in the middle.

This could be right. I have no idea where to even start looking for an official definition of a JO for the Navy.

It doesn't really matter though because the only distinctions that matter are: Flags>>>A select group of important O6's>>>>>>>>>>>everyone else

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Fart Sandwiches posted:

The only thing you need to know about the navy is that at some point in your officer career you are part of the JO jungle.

In over 10 years in the Navy (God have mercy) I've spent less then a week in the jungle. So I guess that's partially true.

I've actually spent more time in berthing then in the jungle. By a large margin actually.

Whatever you say sailor.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Snowdens Secret posted:

I still can't wrap my head around how whatever overlooking command just forgot they had a ship without an XO, and, yeah, regardless of what mess the upper officer ranks were in, stuff like watchbills and maintenance falling apart sounds like a goat locker problem, not an O-gang one.

There were issues with all of the khakis onboard.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I always thought it was because goats smell bad, eat garbage, and cry when put to work.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

What city/region are you in?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Zotix posted:

I also think it's stupid that they wouldn't try to place someone who scored a 96 on the asvab, has their bachelor's, into a job that they want.

FUCKIN :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Zotix posted:

The southwest.

Then I am no help because I don't know your recruiters boss.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Christoff posted:

Yeah definitely recruiter bullshit but they can be pretty picky these days, no?

Absolutely. That guy has got next to no motivation to meet his quota, or he might have already met it. If I was that guy I probably wouldn't spend too much of my already short shore duty wrangling a high maintenance recruit either when there are more then enough mouth breathers willing to sign undesignated.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Snowdens Secret posted:

I can't see how any recruit is 'high maintenance' if they're the ones calling the office

the 'high maintenance' ones are the ones you're having to run down the track to shave those last precious pounds, or teach how to read so they can become a cook

Yeah, high maintenance might be the wrong term. I should have said "opinionated", and "not gullible".

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Zotix posted:

I wasn't saying that as if it's amazing or anything, but out here in this area I'm in, it's well above the average person. That statement probably narrows down where I'm from significantly, at least in conjunction with my last post.

I wasn't laughing at your scores or whatever. I was laughing at the pure, unabashed, naivety of someone not in the Navy earnestly believing that the Navy gives even a semblance of a poo poo about you and what you bring to the table.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Christoff posted:

It seems like with undesignated folk it's a vicious cycle of NJPs or they become an HM

Believe it or not, most undesignated I've known struck CS of all loving rates. Like it was in the double digits on my last ship. Talking to other folks in my class now, they had similar experiences too. I guess a whole bunch of dudes wanna be Cuba Gooding in Pearl Harbor.

ManMythLegend fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Aug 12, 2014

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Why is it every other week some shmuck comes in here asking about wanting to be a loving CT? If you want a truly cake job be a SK and refill the soda machine you worthless gently caress.

That's SH broheim. And at least they are on ships which makes it orders of magnitude more difficult/worse then the shore-centric rates like most CT's and AG's and poo poo.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

tuluk posted:

Not a navy guy....what exactly does that mean, something like armory guard detail?

He's the principal from The Breakfast Club.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

So many people in the wardroom would look at me like I was nuts anytime we had either because I would go whole hog on that poo poo. poo poo owned.

Lastship also had a nice tradition of wings and pizza every Saturday night in port or underway. Made weekend duty not suck as bad and was nice comafood before holiday routine underway.

gently caress yeah. Pizza and wings night is great. It's nice to be able to sit back, watch some college football, and crush some pizza and wings.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I love that we get to see a budding A-School romance in this thread.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

It's been a long time since I've had opportunity to say it, but gently caress Norfolk.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I would like to take this opportunity to publicly apologize for every negative thing I've ever said about Newport. I would literally prefer a winter in Newport to any time of year in Norfolk. gently caress this place.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

tuluk posted:

this officer isn't drinking enough Navy kool-aid.
...you in norfolk for XO training or something?

Yeah. I'm here for a couple of weeks for training before I head back up to Newport for some more.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

nacirema posted:

An instructor at HM a school recommend me for relief and separation for sleeping in class. Waving ucmj article 13, not 92 at me, I can't tell if he threatening or will actually do paperwork. I was told to wake up multiple times before. My grades are excellent. No paper was ever filed on me or got called for counseling. And I graduate in 10 days. Should I be worried, if so how can I present a case that is not about me be being a lovely sailor to Chief?

Hahahaha.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, if for no other reason then it takes work to disenroll someone from a school and lord only knows most instructors do as little of that as possible. Just drink some coffee, chew on some sunflower seeds, and keep your head down for the next week.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

not black enough posted:

Hahaha. How did you like the 30 minute pour today? ps gently caress this place I"m glad I'm going back in november.

I've spent most of my life in Florida, I don't normally mind the rain at all. It was just the perfect cherry on top of the poo poo cake of being here today.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Hypothetically, is it legal for an active duty member of the military to build/make something and then try to sell it to the service, or is that against some sort of contracting rule?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

buttplug posted:

It's legal to an extent. It's called a MILCAP package. Guy I went through OCS with was a prior AT who, through some magic, actually refined the fabrication process of some specific F-18 part (like whatever he did cut the cost of production of that piece of gear almost in half) and the Navy gave him like 5k in cash (yea, that's all).

Most people who develop stuff while in the military don't sell it back to the gov't. I work with a lot of folks who have developed programming-type stuff that they keep to themselves until they get out, then cash in on. The government is never, ever going to give you a good deal money-wise on anything you sell to them.

This was good information.

From the MILCAP instruction I found Executive Orders 10096 and 10930 which basically say that if the government can claim any connection to an invention they can claim at least partial rights. Disturbingly enough, this extends to things, "which bear a direct relation to or are made in consequence of the official duties of the inventor," which to my untrained eye says that if my professional training and experience contributed to the invention then the government can claim it. Interesting.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Stultus Maximus posted:

The sailor's creed is the worst of the armed forces creeds by a long shot.

I've actually been meaning to mention how absolutely retarded it is. Honestly I had completely forgotten about because I hadn't heard it in almost 7 years, but now I have to hear it every day in class. I lay the blame squarely on MCPON Scott for this one.

gently caress YOU SCOTT, YOU loving PUSSY!!!! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Snowdens Secret posted:

Blueberry

Blueberry meatloaf

:barf:

• Locked thread