Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Pandasmores posted:

Do nobles have some image of what an enlisted barracks looks like? Apparently some seamen left their semen filled condoms and beer cans around with a noble complaining. I'm over here laughing cause of a sea bag inspection for "deployability", the confused faces of the retired civilians (and my friends as well) that were wondering why corpsmen are doing a sea bag inspection when even the constantly deploying dudes never did one.

sea-bag inspection is just some quasi-punitive administrative bullshit you hassle a junior guy with when they need a little extra "sailorization" or you can't quite come up with something besides failing an inspection to write them up for. It doesn't really have anything to do with deployment
I hated poo poo like that, but honestly I recognize now the importance of building that kind of paper trail if you have a legit problem sailor

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Netanyahu posted:

The United States Navy has always been my favorite branch of the U.S. Armed Forces. It's inherent multi-role capabilities is what makes it so interesting. When I was much younger I used to always think the Navy exclusively operated in/near water and any aircraft use was strictly exclusive to the U.S. Airforce (I thought carrier take-offs were events facilitated by the american Airforce).

Other than the Seals/jets, what other cool poo poo is the US Navy responsible for doing that the general public might not be aware of?

EDIT: Immeasurable respect for the people serving.

I think the real core competency of the United States Navy, when compared to the other branches of service is our ability to find and negotiate terms of service with east asian prostitutes, female or transexual. I don't think any other branch really comes close to our collective knowledge regarding the habits, price structures and services on offer of Filipina bargirls and Thai ladyboys

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
if you pay for a subscription to the navy times you are easily the most insufferable human being on the face of the earth
NEW CHANGES THE MCPON WANTS FOR YOUR PHYSICAL TRAINING UNIFORM
WHAT IT COULD MEAN FOR YOUR ADVANCEMENT
SAILORS WANT TO KNOW

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
she's a Boat 10, definitely

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

TrialbyStone posted:

I plan on stopping my TSP deduction as well

Don't do this. Move the money into whatever Index funds in it that you like, and boom you have a mutual fund with super low admin costs, that is Roth tax-advantaged, and is deducted from your paycheck before you get to blow that money on dumb poo poo.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Edit: A lot of people like to travel up to Big Bear for camping/hiking if thats your thing.

I really like Joshua Tree in the winter months

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

LingcodKilla posted:

Why is it called the goat locker? I understand what it is but not why "goat".

NAVY HERITAGE TIME BITCHES

the chiefs used to literally keep a goat to be able to get fresh milk on some ships. They'd keep the goat in their berthing or mess to keep from having to share their milk

edit: fuckin jew jewed me right out of answering the POD navy heritage question

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Aug 7, 2014

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Snowdens Secret posted:

I'm afraid that's going to count against your sailor of the quarter board score

yeah it's ok can't get that top block on the EO anyway without being CMEO we all know that

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Zarc posted:

Take more terminal leave if you can. You get more money that way.

I have to challenge this because people have been driving me batty with this lately.

Caveat: Yes, your time off is more valuable than whatever pittance they assign to it when you sell leave. I realize it doesn't make any sense to sell the leave back at $20 a day or whatever they give you for them in 99% of cases.

THAT SAID,
How the gently caress are you getting less money if you use all of your leave days? That's backwards. You will draw your full pay and entitlements right up until the end of your contract either way - but if you use all of your leave days, you don't get any money for selling them back. If you're in some kind of crazy situation where you would rather be at work right up until your last day taking no leave at all, you will in fact get a bigger final pay. Stop spreading this folksy nonsensical bullshit.

gently caress being at work though, I am making it a point to burn every single day. I just dropped the chits to only come in on Mondays and Fridays in the weeks between now and when I can start terminal

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

You're forgetting BAH. If you sell your leave, you don't get any BAH for the days that you sold.

That's true.
Soooo if you sell back some leave, they stop paying your BAH sometime way before your EAOS?

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

SquirrelyPSU posted:

There is zero reason to not take terminal. Who the gently caress wants to play Navy for any longer than they have to? OH WOOP DEE DO ANOTHER 30 DAYS OF NAVY BULLSHIT OH WAIT I DONT ACTUALLY HAVE TO BE HERE RIGHT NOW WOOPS

I actually 100% agree with this, I'm just tired of hearing retards say you lose money if you don't take all your leave when that is literally the exact opposite of the truth

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Christoff posted:

Also obviously depends on your chain of command and work place. Some work you like a dog until your last days. Some people get away doing jack poo poo the last 3-6 months of their enlistment. I knew a guy that dropped his pack like 7 months out and was completely worthless but he was buddies with the chief and LPO. Pissed us the gently caress off.

You sir, are what's known in the industry as a "hater."

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I am 78 days from EAOS, dudes. With 61 days of leave by EAOS. Today, I looked up our command Leave instruction, and saw command policy lets me take up to 60 days of leave, but it has to be routed 30 days prior, so I dropped a leave request that starts 30 days from today lol.

And it looks like I'll have to do TAP during my terminal leave hahaha when they told me that at the Career Counselor's office I was like you are loving high, but they said no, really it is the law and I have to do it :smith:

So close I can taste it, man

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Christoff posted:

It's called TRS now. (Doing it this week) Just take 3 weeks and sell back that 1 week for when you'll be at TRS?

I don't know what TRS is, but they made me sign up for T-GPS here. I just still call it "TAP" because that's what everyone says conversationally. The command, collectively, has taken two full weeks to date to process my T-GPS request ... and I still haven't gotten it back. In the interim, the two sets of class dates I put on the chit filled up, naturally. The ones I'm hoping for right now will run the week where my terminal starts on a Friday, so it's such a good scenario that I refuse to believe it will actually happen. In any case, adjusting fire on that terminal leave request will come after this, since my LCPO already told me that my terminal leave request has to be routed on a navcompt 3065, and then I will have to follow that up by putting it in to E-leave after the captain approves it? Not sure why they felt the need to add a process on top of a process, but with the end so close in sight, I don't ask why anymore, I just jump through the god drat hoops.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Sir Lucius posted:

Yep. I've been here for two and a half years. My next tour is going to be here is well. I really get to see the world.

Use your leave to take vacations if you want to travel. The Navy mostly only goes to dumps anyway.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

DustyNuts posted:

Not saying it's totally your fault, but you should have gone to T-GPS a year ago. You've been planning to separate for a long time, right?

A lot of commands do that with e-Leave, because they want the CO to approve terminal leave requests, but the CO is often not your approver in e-Leave. Rather than change the routing chain in e-Leave for every Sailor submitting a terminal leave chit, they just have you route a paper chit first. Then you have to submit e-Leave so the leave can actually be charged to your balance.

I recommend that you get permission from your command to attend T-GPS as a stand-by. Granted I'm in Hampton Roads, but every single Sailor I've sent as a stand-by has gotten a seat.

The online course is only supposed to be used by Sailors that cannot attend T-GPS due to geographical restrictions.

Actually, I would agree with you regarding when I should have asked for the TGPS, but I actually ran the chit while I was still waiting for findings from my medboard, as soon as they let me know my case had gone to the VA for rating (which implied that I was found unfit and would be getting walking papers). The whole thing got resolved in right under a month, VA and all, when I had been hearing on the street it was a 6-month process. Unfortunately, the CCC only does Pre-Sep counselings every other week, and then I routed my TGPS request 17 days ago, still haven't gotten dates, once I get those I have to route a TAD request, etc etc. and it's turning out to be about a 2 loving month process to get into TGPS.

Incidentally, I still haven't received my retirement/separation orders, I have no idea how long it's supposed to take, but I'm starting to get into a really bad time crunch with regards to days til EAOS vs Days of leave by EAOS (77 to 61). The obvious answer is to just start burning it if I'd rather not be at work, which I'm trying to, but my DH has been sitting on all my leave chits I put in for over a week now. I am clearly an administrative burden to my command. I don't want to sell any days at all because gently caress my job, but it looks like that choice is being made for me.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
we always had baked beans and sausage-flavored calorie pucks for midrats, mmm mmm.

I think everything I've ever had to endure in my Navy career was worth it to see the look on my LPO's face when I handed him a calendar yesterday that displayed my intricately gerrymandered series of leave and TAD requests so that I only have two actual "work" days between now and my EAOS

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
We always had wings on saturdays underway on my boat, too, so I never ate dinner on Saturdays because I developed and OCD-like aversion to eating with my hands on the boat. Ughh the boat is so gross I have to wash my hands now just thinking about it.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Sir Lucius posted:

If you had a deck of cards that wouldn't be too terrible a watch.

I worry that millenials and our god drat smartphones will kill Spades, the official card game of the United States Navy

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
so, I shenaniganed my way into the retiree TGPS. It's a little depressing how lost and rudderless most of these senior enlisted will be out of the military

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

poopkitty posted:

There's a retiree one? FFSC told me there is only one kind now (I am soon to be a last and rudderless retiree.)(Nope, just kidding. I'll be awesome.)

yeah, there's only like three people getting not-retired in my whole class. Here in San Diego, at least, they're separated for whatever reason, but the end result is the same, namely that you get a signature on your dd 2958(I think?). My whole checkout process came to a screeching halt because I don't have that since I finally got my retirement orders friday. My career counselors were adamant that disability retirement doesn't "count," so I couldn't go to the retiree class... so I just called the scheduling lady at ffsc directly. I'm on leave, so it's not like they're gonna stop me, all I do is eat leisurely breakfasts and do homework lately. It's a lovely way to spend 5 days of leave, but they weren't gonna approve a tad request in a day and the leave was already approved.

Lmao since they wouldn't let me put in terminal leave I just spammed my chain of command with a leave chit for every mon-fri until Weedsgiving Day. I'll just cancel the remainder once I get all my checkout ducks in a row and get my appointment to go get the dd214

• Locked thread