Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Despite popular belief there is no July 32nd. We are in the August stretch of the Baseball season. Every player making any semblance of money is put on waivers. Don't freak out. It doesn't mean someone is getting traded. Enjoy your favorite team's playoff hopes dwindling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
I am going to further trade panic over waivers. :getin:

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

It'll be at least a few days before the waiver wire rumor mill spins up so everybody can just relax and try to figure out who the hell plays for your team now.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I know that I am not alone when I say that I can't wait to see who Mozeliak can pick up off of waivers form a team officially giving up on the pennant race. Whoever it is, I'm pretty sure Matheny will consider starting him in right field instead of Taveras.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Reposting for the new thread:

Sheep is back. 9 entries already!

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Harlock posted:

Enjoy your favorite team's playoff hopes dwindling.

Ha! Joke's on you. My team never had any. :colbert:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Apparently, nobody watched Athletcs/Astros on Wednesday. And when I say nobody, I mean NOBODY.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

It seemed as though the trade tornado was fairly well reasoned with nobody getting entirely fleeced with each side getting pretty much what they wanted after weighing the returns. Except for maybe the Giants, I can't figure that one out from a bidness angle.

Were there any other victims or was it all as sensible as it appeared on the surface?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

CaptainYesterday posted:

Apparently, nobody watched Athletcs/Astros on Wednesday. And when I say nobody, I mean NOBODY.

I get the Astros but it's sad that the A's are the best team in baseball, have been one of the best teams for a few seasons and had a movie made about them recently and nobody pays attention to them.

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

tadashi posted:

I get the Astros but it's sad that the A's are the best team in baseball, have been one of the best teams for a few seasons and had a movie made about them recently and nobody pays attention to them.

Kinda vindicating that they're doing as well as they are, though. And the Wednesday day games that aren't carried on CSN are infuriating.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
Will A-Rod get put on waivers? I would think not. But he is making money on off days, right?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

the popes toes posted:

It seemed as though the trade tornado was fairly well reasoned with nobody getting entirely fleeced with each side getting pretty much what they wanted after weighing the returns. Except for maybe the Giants, I can't figure that one out from a bidness angle.

Were there any other victims or was it all as sensible as it appeared on the surface?

I don't know if I'd call the Cardinals the "victims" of a bad trade, but I'm still scratching my head over the Kelly + Craig / Lackey trade.

Some of it I understand: Craig is undeniably in decline and Matheny adamantly refuses to acknowledge it, the entire clubhouse seems moribund and trades like this shake people up (hopefully in a good way), and the previously amazing rotation has been not so amazing lately, so there was a need for a veteran arm who had big-game experience. But on the other hand, Moze traded away a young but good pitcher (Kelly) whose main crime was not getting enough run support and pulling a hamstring in April, for a guy who might well not even be on the team next year. If the Cardinals' playoff position was secure, I could understand this, but that is simply not the case this year. And, I'm not sure if Lackey is the kind of hired gun who will push this team through to the postseason.

I understand that there wasn't a lot of extra offense available, but that doesn't mean you trade away a young, cheap, good pitcher for a soon-to-be free agent.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

tarlibone posted:

I don't know if I'd call the Cardinals the "victims" of a bad trade, but I'm still scratching my head over the Kelly + Craig / Lackey trade.

Some of it I understand: Craig is undeniably in decline and Matheny adamantly refuses to acknowledge it, the entire clubhouse seems moribund and trades like this shake people up (hopefully in a good way), and the previously amazing rotation has been not so amazing lately, so there was a need for a veteran arm who had big-game experience. But on the other hand, Moze traded away a young but good pitcher (Kelly) whose main crime was not getting enough run support and pulling a hamstring in April, for a guy who might well not even be on the team next year. If the Cardinals' playoff position was secure, I could understand this, but that is simply not the case this year. And, I'm not sure if Lackey is the kind of hired gun who will push this team through to the postseason.

I understand that there wasn't a lot of extra offense available, but that doesn't mean you trade away a young, cheap, good pitcher for a soon-to-be free agent.

Lackey is signed through next year

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Who cares if one guy is cheap when the other guy is better

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

CaptainYesterday posted:

I think that was the third Astros game this year that got a zero rating. Plus they just announced a ticket price increase. Plus CSN Houston is tied up in a clusterfuck of a court battle, mostly instigated by the Astros, and may limp on in legal limbo for years to come.

The incompetence right now surrounding the Astros blows my mind.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

humpthewind posted:

Will A-Rod get put on waivers? I would think not. But he is making money on off days, right?
Probably cannot be. From reading the restricted list rules, I think he would have to be reinstated from the restricted list first but you cannot do that between now and the end of October. He does not count against the Yankee's 40 man roster while on the restricted list, though.

Hilariously, if for some reason the playoffs were delayed/extended so that the WS rosters weren't set before October 28th, I guess they could resinstate him and let him play in the post season because his suspension was for 162 games. That would probably be a bad idea for any number of non-baseball reasons not to mention actual baseball reasons.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Aug 1, 2014

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Groucho Marxist posted:

Yeah seriously. Kelly may have been young and cheap, but the Cards are not limited by their payroll, Lackey is a better pitcher, and they have a shitload of young guys who can fill Kelly's spot at the back of the rotation once Lackey's deal is up.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

The only reason to dislike the Craig/Kelly deal is because Joe Kelly is really loving cool, and Allen Craig has a tortoise and probably would've been the 2011 WS MVP if not for David Freese somehow being even more clutch.

And that's a perfectly good reason to dislike it.

But the team is unquestionably better for the move, both now and in the future.

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame

Korranus posted:

I think that was the third Astros game this year that got a zero rating. Plus they just announced a ticket price increase. Plus CSN Houston is tied up in a clusterfuck of a court battle, mostly instigated by the Astros, and may limp on in legal limbo for years to come.

The incompetence right now surrounding the Astros blows my mind.

It's the second time this year, and the third time in two years.

Court proceedings have actually shed a lot of light on how much Comcast and the Rockets are to blame for the CSN fiasco. Comcast for never actually bringing any carriage deals forward to vote on (they were the only partner that could negotiate carriage deals), and the Rockets for reneging on a cash call to actually pay the Astros for their media rights. When that happened, the Astros served notice that they would reclaim their media rights, per the agreement with the network, so Comcast got three of their affiliates to file involuntary bankruptcy to stop the Astros from doing that. David Barron has covered this bankruptcy case from the beginning, so search out his articles and blog posts for the most accurate stuff. He's a court reporter, not a sports writer.

E: I'm not arguing that the Astros are faultless, just presenting the actual facts. Feel free to laugh at the Astros, or blame the ownership group for not doing enough due diligence, or whatever.

Imasalmon fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Aug 2, 2014

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Plus Lackey comes from a team with Red and White jerseys, so the transition to the Cardinals will be pretty smooth. Unlike say moving to the A's where he'd be pitching into a Green colored man. Seems like a good move to me when you also consider the pitch framing ability of(red vested) Yadier Molina(once he's back).

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

CaptainYesterday posted:

Hahaha, I read an article about basically the same thing last year, just a different team playing the Astros.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I hadn't considered the uniform color factor. That is a good point. The local pundits have been giving tons of reasons why the trade was a great thing, and when they all agree, I start to worry. These are the same people who kept talking about how great the rotation was going to be with a healthy Jaime Garcia, who promptly went on the DL. Again. and again.

I think what has me bothered about this trade isn't the trade itself so much as the fact that we all know what the big problem with the Cardinals is: offense. Everybody knows it, and after all was said and done, we traded for a pitcher. I'm not very familiar with Lackey, but unless he can go out every five games and pitch complete game shutouts, it's not going to help much.

Then again, if he doesn't get roughed up like Kelly was his last few road games, that could be help enough.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
They needed rotation depth too, and there really weren't a lot of impact bats on the market. That trade doesn't automatically become bad because they have other needs.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
1. Brock Holt, RF
2. Dustin Pedroia, 2B
3. David Ortiz, DH
4. Mike Napoli, 1B
5. Allen Craig, LF
6. Xander Bogaerts, SS
7. Will Middlebrooks, 3B
8. David Ross, C
9. Mookie Betts, CF

Boo, I wanted to see Céspedes dingers!

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

davecrazy posted:

1. Brock Holt, RF
2. Dustin Pedroia, 2B
3. David Ortiz, DH
4. Mike Napoli, 1B
5. Allen Craig, LF
6. Xander Bogaerts, SS
7. Will Middlebrooks, 3B
8. David Ross, C
9. Mookie Betts, CF

Allen Craig blocks more exciting on-field players. It's what he does.

He rules. Be good to him.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

humpthewind posted:

practically every player is put on revocable waivers, there's no downside to doing it. I'd guess he's not eligible though. And he's not being paid this year because of the suspension.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

davecrazy posted:

1. Brock Holt, RF
2. Dustin Pedroia, 2B
3. David Ortiz, DH
4. Mike Napoli, 1B
5. Allen Craig, LF
6. Xander Bogaerts, SS
7. Will Middlebrooks, 3B
8. David Ross, C
9. Mookie Betts, CF

Dont want a lot of mileage, gotta keep that resale value.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Groucho Marxist posted:

Also Lackey is cheaper due to his ridiculous minimum salary thing. The only way this turns into a bad trade is if they think Allen Craig isn't in decline.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I know he's saying he will, but if will be absolutely shocked if lackey pitches in 2015 for 500k.

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

cards just clearing salary for tulo and scherzer this offseason

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Anyone who has been sharing MLB.TV get hit with this lately?

"User signed on too many times within an allowed time frame."

I didn't do any account sharing bundle purchase or anything, just gave the login to a few friends.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Jerkface posted:

I didn't do any account sharing bundle purchase or anything, just gave the login to a few friends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCjmDI4AJlk

(Had it happen a while back. Waited a bit and refreshed. Took care of itself.)

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Jerkface posted:

How many is a few? I've never had an issue in our 5 people sharing groups.

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame

Jerkface posted:

I've seen it once with our group of five, and after a few minutes it went away.

Jim Dwyer
Mar 29, 2014

tadashi posted:

Probably cannot be. From reading the restricted list rules, I think he would have to be reinstated from the restricted list first but you cannot do that between now and the end of October. He does not count against the Yankee's 40 man roster while on the restricted list, though.

Hilariously, if for some reason the playoffs were delayed/extended so that the WS rosters weren't set before October 28th, I guess they could resinstate him and let him play in the post season because his suspension was for 162 games. That would probably be a bad idea for any number of non-baseball reasons not to mention actual baseball reasons.

They changed the rules so that players who serve a PED suspension during the regular season are ineligible for the postseason, I think

This happened because Red Sox players cried about Jhonny Peralta driving in a run against them in Game 1 of the ALCS

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Harlock posted:

How many is a few? I've never had an issue in our 5 people sharing groups.

Less than a 5 person group. 2 of the people I gave it to never use it, I just gave them it for the odd game here or there. At most it would be me and another person.

I've never had this happen before so I wondered if they might have changed something.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

Schweinhund posted:

practically every player is put on revocable waivers, there's no downside to doing it. I'd guess he's not eligible though. And he's not being paid this year because of the suspension.

This article says otherwise, the Yankees are paying him 11% of his salary and the final 3 million dollars worth of his signing bonus. The other poster said that anyone who is getting paid gets put on waivers so I wondered if that applied to A-Rod.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Matt Cain is going to undergo surgery, will likely be out the rest of the season.

Also they've apparently officially DFA'd Uggla (and Tyler Colvin, which is too bad because Colvin was cool if not particularly impactful). In their place they're bringing up some people from AA.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Scob posted:

cards just clearing salary for tulo and scherzer this offseason

Please. Why would Scherzer go to St. Louis and all the gap-toothed inbred hicks when he can make baseball history by bringing a WS title to the north side of Chicago?

....yeah, he's gonna sign with the Cardinals. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Harlock posted:

Enjoy your favorite team's playoff hopes dwindling.

I enjoy my team's most important days being the trade deadline and september call-ups. See you when Baez fails to hit in the majors in a month, fuckers.

• Locked thread