Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Matt Cain is going to undergo surgery, will likely be out the rest of the season.

Also they've apparently officially DFA'd Uggla (and Tyler Colvin, which is too bad because Colvin was cool if not particularly impactful). In their place they're bringing up some people from AA.

Colvin gets cool points for getting stabbed in the chest with a baseball bat and continuing to play baseball, if nothing else.

Explosionface fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Aug 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Explosionface posted:

Colvin get cool points for getting stabbed in the chest with a baseball bat and continuing to play baseball, if nothing else.

I saw Colvin play at Round Rock and a bunch of Cub fans were clamoring for his autographs as if he was destined for superstardom because these misguided souls did not realize he was being called up by the Chicago Cubs.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
N: my brother in law caught Mike Trout's first inning HR tonight.

V: That is pretty sweet and I'm happy for him because he is a good guy.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Gerrit Cole just got scratched from his scheduled rehab start tomorrow. Reports had been good after his first rehab outing on Monday, but welp.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Trade deadlines are for wimps who value things like roster depth. But bold baseball teams like the Giants call up players from Double A, and start their fourth and fifth outfielders at the same time.

Many pitchers would see that happen and think, "what a lovely defense, we have no hope." But Ryan Vogelsong said "that'll do", and then threw almost 70% of his pitches for strikes through the entire game, allowing only two hits with a solo homer.

In all seriousness, if they got shut out again 1-0 through that effort I probably would have predicted it by the 3rd.

Storm
Jun 7, 2001

Professional #8 Hitter/Beard Grower

Retail Slave posted:

Please. Why would Scherzer go to St. Louis and all the gap-toothed inbred hicks when he can make baseball history by bringing a WS title to the north side of Chicago?

....yeah, he's gonna sign with the Cardinals. :(

If the Tigers don't win the WS, DD will resign Scherzer for a ridiculous contract and just have every ace imaginable in the bullpen just because

Rick Grimes
Oct 12, 2005

We Are The Walking Dead
Any Pittsburgh goons/Pirates fans in here? Picked up 4 tickets to the game on 8/19 vs. Atlanta, sitting field box 8, row 4 for $36 a ticket, which seemed like a great deal.

Driving in from Buffalo, any info for best area to park and/or recommendations on places to eat and drink before the game?

Rick Grimes fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Aug 2, 2014

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Extending Max and just letting Price go to arb would probably add 50m on to next year's payroll. Which doesn't seem to be a problem, since Vmart and Torii's 15m comes off the books. That'd put them at around 140-150m needing two corner outfielders. I'm not buying the JD Martinez resurrection (although I liked him in Houston). Davis should be a serviceable CF.

Will be even more interesting if Pizza Lich extends Price and Max since money is his #1 power. And when you're already spending, it's better to keep spending than go cheap. (RIP Ruben Amaro).

Pumpkin McPastry
Mar 8, 2004

What else do I have to do to impress you people?
Scherzer already declined what...5/$140 or something and then the Tigers basically called him a greedy piece of poo poo and turned around and gave $450 billion to Miguel Cabrera so I dunno I kind of expect him to leave.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

That's just as fine too for the Tigers. A top 3 of bounce back Verlander/Price/Sanchez is still probably good enough to win the Central again. gently caress Dombrowski.

The Price move gives them flexibility beyond this season, basically gently caress the Tigers.

The Born Approx.
Oct 30, 2011
Anyone use AppleTV to watch MLBtv? The last few days it won't show me video feeds for any Dodger games, but I can watch them on my phone/iPad/laptop on the same wifi network as the ATV...I can watch other games, just not the dodgers :saddowns:

Pumpkin McPastry
Mar 8, 2004

What else do I have to do to impress you people?

Harlock posted:

That's just as fine too for the Tigers. A top 3 of bounce back Verlander/Price/Sanchez is still probably good enough to win the Central again. gently caress Dombrowski.

The Price move gives them flexibility beyond this season, basically gently caress the Tigers.

Are we really convinced that Verlander and Sanchez are going to be impact players next year?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
N: Mike Foltynewicz called up

V: He's in the bullpen, but don't be surprised if he makes the starting rotation in 2015.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

CaptainYesterday posted:

N: Mike Foltynewicz called up

V: He's in the bullpen, but don't be surprised if he makes the starting rotation in 2015.
He's also one of the nicer players I've met, so I'm rooting for him.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Harlock posted:

I'm not so sure Verlander is going to bounce back.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
He looked pretty decent today. Doubt he'll ever return to the MVP days but I think he can still be pretty good.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

holy :lol:

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Ensuring that this week is this season's best.

e: Also, crossposting from the Canpol thread since it's baseball-derived:

http://www.cbc.ca/newsblogs/yourcommunity/2014/08/controversial-caucasians-shirt-becomes-a-hit-on-native-reserves.html

quote:

Cleveland 'Caucasians' shirt becomes a hit on native reserves

In June, DJ NDN of the Canadian band A Tribe Called Red (a.k.a. Ian Campeau of Ottawa) was accused of racism and hypocrisy when he wore a shirt bearing the word "Caucasians" juxtaposed against a white-washed version of the Cleveland Indians' controversial Chief Wahoo mascot in a press photo.

Campeau, a noted activist whose recent Ontario Human Rights Commission complaint was instrumental in changing the name of the Nepean Redskins football team, scoffed at the claims of racism and hypocrisy.

"I find it super unfortunate that people in my hometown don’t understand how harmful these native themed logos and nicknames are," he wrote in a statement to the blog Do Androids Dance , alluding to his shirt and its intention to lampoon such logos. "I am very pleased that his narrow-minded claims have sparked an important, continent-wide conversation."

Hand Knit fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Aug 2, 2014

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I am shocked the Reds have a winning record. Just doesn't make sense.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Kirk Gibson tries to start a fight or something tonight because Ernesto Frieri hit Paul Goldschmidt on the hands in the 9th, get ready for Andrew McCutchen to eat a beanball tomorrow.

e: Apparently Goldschmidt is getting an x-ray, so things might really jump off.

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Aug 2, 2014

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Craptacular! posted:

Trade deadlines are for wimps who value things like roster depth. But bold baseball teams like the Giants call up players from Double A, and start their fourth and fifth outfielders at the same time.

Many pitchers would see that happen and think, "what a lovely defense, we have no hope." But Ryan Vogelsong said "that'll do", and then threw almost 70% of his pitches for strikes through the entire game, allowing only two hits with a solo homer.

In all seriousness, if they got shut out again 1-0 through that effort I probably would have predicted it by the 3rd.

Save us Matt Duffy. Don't make us call guys up from single A.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

It's old and I may have missed discussion on it, but has anyone read the Pat Jordan article on Johnny Damon in retirement?

Storm
Jun 7, 2001

Professional #8 Hitter/Beard Grower

R.D. Mangles posted:

It's old and I may have missed discussion on it, but has anyone read the Pat Jordan article on Johnny Damon in retirement?

quote:

Asked about the incident, Damon said that "Shonda was not a very nice lady," and if you were married to Curt, "you wouldn't be, either."

yessssssss

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Jeff Bridges was rolling on the Shabbos:
http://m.mlb.com/lad/video/v35005181/jeff-bridges-bowls-the-first-pitch-at-dodger-stadium/?cid=as_mlb_20140802_28978296

a rowdy mullet
Feb 12, 2009

The Dude abides :cool:

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

That's interesting. Lackey's contract allows the Cards to only pay him minimum salary ($500,000) for the 2015 season. The Red Sock club option in the contract stipulated that if Lackey lost significant time due to injury, the minimum salary option would go into effect for the '15 season. It carries over for the Cards.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/01/john-lackey-intends-to-honor-contract-and-pitch-at-major-league-minimum-salary-in-2015/

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Explosionface posted:

Colvin gets cool points for getting stabbed in the chest with a baseball bat and continuing to play baseball, if nothing else.

This is somehow more ridiculous than Artest's table leg

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Atlanta Braves @Braves
Longtime Braves broadcaster, Pete Van Wieren passed away peacefully this morning after his long battle with cancer.

Our thoughts and prayers are with his wife Elaine, sons Jon and Steve and his grandchildren.

rip

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
Jose Abreu has reached base in his last 10 straight plate appearances and has now broken the 1.000 OPS barrier (.310/.364/.639) :swoon:

He also extended his hitting streak to 21 games and has hit safely in 39 of his last 40.

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

angrygodofjebus posted:

Jose Abreu has reached base in his last 10 straight plate appearances and has now broken the 1.000 OPS barrier (.310/.364/.639) :swoon:

He also extended his hitting streak to 21 games and has hit safely in 39 of his last 40.

And in that one game he didn't get a hit, Ventura pulled him for a pinch runner with 2 outs in the 9th inning of a 14 inning game in which his spot in the lineup got two more PA.

Abreu owns.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

Vertical Lime posted:

Atlanta Braves @Braves
Longtime Braves broadcaster, Pete Van Wieren passed away peacefully this morning after his long battle with cancer.

Our thoughts and prayers are with his wife Elaine, sons Jon and Steve and his grandchildren.

rip

All my early baseball memories have Skip and Pete calling the action. This is a sad day for Braves fans.
R.I.P. Professor.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

BasicFunk posted:

All my early baseball memories have Skip and Pete calling the action. This is a sad day for Braves fans.
R.I.P. Professor.

Same. They were the best.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It's a good article but the author's constant Game of Thrones references for no reason are ridiculous.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Jerkface posted:

Anyone who has been sharing MLB.TV get hit with this lately?

"User signed on too many times within an allowed time frame."

I didn't do any account sharing bundle purchase or anything, just gave the login to a few friends.

Are you switching back and forth between browsers because the new version of Flash is a piece of poo poo? I have been (although settled for IE since Flash doesn't crash it). Stop trying to log in for 15 minutes and it will go away.

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown

That is a pretty good Kershaw wind-up impression.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

2/3rds of Giants' lineup would chase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

New Concept Hole posted:

2/3rds of Giants' lineup would chase.

:golfclap: