Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Vertical Lime posted:

Atlanta Braves @Braves
Longtime Braves broadcaster, Pete Van Wieren passed away peacefully this morning after his long battle with cancer.

Our thoughts and prayers are with his wife Elaine, sons Jon and Steve and his grandchildren.

rip

I am sadder about this than the death of any Braves player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

http://instagram.com/ak47_studios

Some of these logos suck, some are funny, discuss

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
They still doing the Céspedes tshirt giveaway today in Oakland?

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

ZenVulgarity posted:

http://instagram.com/ak47_studios

Some of these logos suck, some are funny, discuss

It's hard to pull off good edits for teams whose logos are just their name, like the Giants or Dodgers.

davecrazy posted:

Apparently so.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

davecrazy posted:

I wish the game was against Boston

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

If anyone hasn't listened to Jonah Keri's podcast with Pedro and has an hour to spare, it's pretty great. Pedro owns.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

:stare:

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Goldschmidt has a fractured hand. Guess that means someone from the Pirates is getting the ol' beanball today.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Pirates might wanna sit Cutch today.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Kirk Gibson is such a piece of poo poo he'd likely throw at McCutchen in the dugout.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

will_colorado posted:

Goldschmidt has a fractured hand. Guess that means someone from the Pirates is getting the ol' beanball today.

He sends one of yours to the hospital, you send one of his to the morgue. That's the Arizona way.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Did dude intentionally hit him or just flub a pitch?

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Abel Wingnut posted:

Kirk Gibson cares not.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Abel Wingnut posted:

Hit him with one out in the bottom of the ninth with a 5 run lead. Kirk Gibson is a shitbird.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I can't for the life of me imagine why anybody would intentionally hit Goldy, knowing there's an at least tangible chance that Gibson might come out of the dugout and try to beat the poo poo out of you right there.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.

Abel Wingnut posted:

It was Ernesto Frieri so it would be a surprise to no one if the answer is flub.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Abel Wingnut posted:

It was Ernesto Frieri, he of the career 4+ BB/9 and the complete inability to throw a low fastball, and still wouldn't have hit him if Goldschmidt hadn't swung his hands into the path of the ball. (Not that he wasn't entitled to that space and it wasn't well inside, I'm not saying it wasn't a legit HBP or anything goofy.)

Here's some thoughts from Mr Gibson, per Rob Biertempfel:

quote:

"Pirates pitch inside more than anyone. They lead league in HBP. That's their philosophy."

D-backs Gibson on if Pirates shouldn't throw inside w/ 5-run lead in ninth: "You'll have to ask them."

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Man, one of these days Kirk is going to do something that gets him a lifetime ban. At least I hope. Guy seems genuinely insane.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
I think he might not do anything goofy today. Goldschmidt gave a quote saying "it's part of the game", it seems like (even more of) an embarrassment to goon it up defending a guy who isn't even mad.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
Counterpoint: It's Kirk Gibson.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Goldschmidt owns, that sucks.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

A fan fell over the railing on to the warning track reaching for a BP ball at Citi field.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

^ Just by instinct I'd say his odds of living are slim.

MLB ‏@MLB
Jim Thome announces he will sign an honorary contract and retire as a member of the @Indians.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

It's like an 8-9' fall. You go head first and land on your neck it would be bad.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Guess he decided to take the easy way out of rooting for the Mets

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bip Roberts posted:

He sends one of yours to the hospital, you send one of his to the morgue. That's the Arizona way.

It's an absurd organization.

Ron Mexico
Dec 31, 2004

Vertical Lime posted:

MLB ‏@MLB
Jim Thome announces he will sign an honorary contract and retire as a member of the @Indians.

He got boo-ed a couple times when he came back with the White Sox but I just liked watching him hit homers. Seems like a good guy.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's a good article but the author's constant Game of Thrones references for no reason are ridiculous.

Working my way through this and maybe it gets bad at the end but given the length of the damned thing coming across two halfway through doesn't seem constant. Or does he do this all the time?

Either way Jesus Christ Johnny Damon:

quote:

There were big flat-screen TVs, a massive bar and barbecue, an arcade room, a wrestling mat, a ping-pong table and a painting that mimicked Leonardo da Vinci's "Last Supper" -- Damon takes the part of Christ, and his Red Sox teammates are the 12 disciples.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Didn't Jim Thome skin a deer in his front yard pissing off his neighbor, then as amends he offered the neighbor some of the meat?

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Pershing posted:

I am sadder about this than the death of any Braves player.

Yep. I had a chance to meet him not long after Of Mikes And Men came out as he was doing a book signing in Macon. I told him (and Jack Wilkinson, who co-wrote it) that 1991 was the most magical thing I had ever witnessed. He agreed.

I was looking for a picture of him in his racing silks when the Braves had an ostrich racing promotion. I am disappointed one is apparently not on the internet.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Damon is basically a rich goon who works out now

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Rand alPaul posted:

It's an absurd organization.

what's absurd about playing paintball?

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

IcePhoenix posted:

what's absurd about playing paintball?

He's giving an interview in a paintball mask

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

seiferguy posted:

Didn't Jim Thome skin a deer in his front yard pissing off his neighbor, then as amends he offered the neighbor some of the meat?

Yes. The neighbor was my coworker. She was like fourteen or something at the time.

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame
That seems completely reasonable and fair to me.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Looking up Thome on Baseball Reference and forgot he played as long as he did, as well as his home run total. I feel weird in that it's hard for me to regard him as a hall of famer and I can't really say why not. It's just so hard to remember him at is peak.

Storm
Jun 7, 2001

Professional #8 Hitter/Beard Grower
The Tigers just scored a run in every single inning.

e: First time they have done that since 1912

Storm fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Aug 3, 2014

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Not the GDT :downs:

MJeff fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Aug 3, 2014

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Not the GDT :downs:

MJeff fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Aug 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

VJeff posted:

Bullpen. :doh:

It's going to be hilarious when Price starts Tuesday, gives up maybe a run or two through seven, and our bullpen promptly allows four or six more in and we lose.

I mean, that would be awful, but certainly not out of the realm of possibility.

• Locked thread