Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

BYE GUYS THIS WAS JI

JIM THOME

Edit: The closest I've ever come to crying from reading anything was the Jim Thome/Thurman Munson Dugout after Corey Lidle's crash. I wish Jim-Jam could just mash taters forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

Everblight posted:

BYE GUYS THIS WAS JI

JIM THOME

Edit: The closest I've ever come to crying from reading anything was the Jim Thome/Thurman Munson Dugout after Corey Lidle's crash. I wish Jim-Jam could just mash taters forever.

I think it's awesome that Jim Jam retired an Indian, but

could you guys explain to my why Princess Leia needed to be there?

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
So instead of throwing at McCutchen in the 1st inning to retaliate for Goldschmidt accidentally getting hit, the D-backs waited until they were losing by 4 runs in the 9th, the pitcher was about to come out, and there was a 3-ball count. :waycool:

Janana
May 17, 2009

Diamondbacks Baseball: Injuries and Futility R Us

Mornacale posted:

So instead of throwing at McCutchen in the 1st inning to retaliate for Goldschmidt accidentally getting hit, the D-backs waited until they were losing by 4 runs in the 9th, the pitcher was about to come out, and there was a 3-ball count. :waycool:

Yeah, it's almost like beanball wars aren't intelligently thought out and logically executed or something.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Gonna feel so good when he gets fired

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Harlock posted:

Gonna feel so good when he gets fired

Don't forget that Kevin Towers once threatened to come out of the stands and fight a guy or something, the Diamondbacks are an embarrassment straight to the top.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mornacale posted:

Don't forget that Kevin Towers once threatened to come out of the stands and fight a guy or something, the Diamondbacks are an embarrassment straight to the top.

Whoa whoa whoa let's not forget about Ken Kendricks, the owner who personally comes down to the luxury suites behind home plate and yells at Dodger fans for wearing non-Diamondbacks gear.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Mornacale posted:

if the Pirates manager had any sense he wouldn't have even let McCutchen bat in that situation.

I am aware that it's stupid that this is even a thing but when you are playing against stupidity you have to know it's coming.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Mornacale posted:

Kirk Gibson is still a shitheel.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Gibson wasn't even there at the time! Is his shittiness so thoroughly ingrained in that clubhouse that they just know, yup, better plunk McCutchen now.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

IcePhoenix posted:

if the Pirates manager had any sense he wouldn't have even let McCutchen bat in that situation.

I am aware that it's stupid that this is even a thing but when you are playing against stupidity you have to know it's coming.

The bench was empty, save the backup catcher, who I don't think you should put in center field, even with a 7 run lead

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ALFbrot posted:

The bench was empty, save the backup catcher, who I don't think you should put in center field, even with a 7 run lead

clearly he shouldn't have wasted his backups earlier in the game then :colbert:

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

IcePhoenix posted:

clearly he shouldn't have wasted his backups earlier in the game then :colbert:

Harsh, but fair

vegeta dentata
Jun 16, 2011
Some girl ran and played on the field during a live Marlins game, does her best baseball cat impression.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
MRAs everywhere are furious she didn't get tazed.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

What the gently caress?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Haha, did they really need four guys to track her down?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I went to a bar to watch the Jays game and man those last two innings were worth watching as weird nerds yelled at the screen and groaned in authentic pain as hilarious things happened over and over. Watching the worst two innings the Jays played this year was worth it.

Also I yelled at the screen when Cutch got hit cause what the gently caress what kind of brain damage juice does Ken Kendrick feed his team.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Good thing she wasn't wearing a hoodie! :razz:

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

In Zion I was meant to be
'Doze the homes
Block the sea
With this great ship at my command
I'll plunder all the Promised Land!

VJeff posted:

Gibson wasn't even there at the time! Is his shittiness so thoroughly ingrained in that clubhouse that they just know, yup, better plunk McCutchen now.

The meet the teams thread appparently got archived, so I can't pull up my whole list, but remeber this is an organization where a GM said this:

Kevin Towers posted:

"That's not who we are as Diamondbacks, that's not how -- I mean, it's a reflection on Gibby, on myself, on our entire organization. They slapped us around and we took it."

Towers said that has to stop, and following the game he had "a few choice words for the (coaching) staff."

"You'd think the GM comes down and makes it a point to talk to the staff about it that at we need to start protecting our own and doing things differently," he said. "Probably a week later Goldy gets dinged, and no retaliation. It's like 'wait a minute.'

Delgado should be fined/suspended for hitting McCutcheon. But really, MLB needs to start handing out heavy fines and/or suspensions to either Gibson or Trammel (acting manager at the time since Gibson was ejected earlier).

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I went to bed after the pirates scored a billion runs in the 8th.

Is mccutchen ok? I know he got hit, but none of you have mentioned whether or not he's ok.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The Cubs are determined to inflict more terrible baseball on a horrified nation by refusing to finish their games in nine cringe-inducing innings. Anyone know what the record is for most total innings played by a team over the course of a season? I'm sure they're nowhere close to that pace, but I got curious and am having trouble figuring out how to look that up and now I want to see if a team has played the equivalent of 166-7 games through extras, resumed games after rain delays, etc.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

ZenVulgarity posted:

http://instagram.com/ak47_studios

Some of these logos suck, some are funny, discuss

I wonder if I could sneak that Cubs logo through a custom t-shirt place since the Ewok obscures the C enough that I might be able to get away with it.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

R.D. Mangles posted:

The Cubs are determined to inflict more terrible baseball on a horrified nation by refusing to finish their games in nine cringe-inducing innings. Anyone know what the record is for most total innings played by a team over the course of a season? I'm sure they're nowhere close to that pace, but I got curious and am having trouble figuring out how to look that up and now I want to see if a team has played the equivalent of 166-7 games through extras, resumed games after rain delays, etc.

I believe that the Diamondbacks broke the record last year for most extra innings played in a season, and they played 81 extra innings. That doesn't completely cover your question, but it doesn't look like they had any games shortened by rain or cancelled, so they played at least 81 extra...

Nolan Arenado fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Aug 3, 2014

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa

Some dude on twitter named Andy Slater tweeted that she's autistic and her folks are super embarrassed. Feel bad for them because as soon as that happened every third comment on twitter was about how the parents are bad parents and should have the kid taken away.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

FairGame posted:

Is mccutchen ok? I know he got hit, but none of you have mentioned whether or not he's ok.

He got hit in the back and we haven't heard anything otherwise so I assume he's fine.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

OctoberBlues posted:

I believe that the Diamondbacks broke the record last year for most extra innings played in a season, and they played 81 extra innings. That doesn't completely cover your question, but it doesn't look like they had any games shortened by rain or cancelled, so they played at least 81 extra...

Cool, thanks. So they played basically 171 baseball games. No wonder they're so ornery.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

I love Gibson and Trammell but that should have resulted in Delgado getting absolutely murdered and probably Trammell.

Amazing control on McCutcheon's part to only spike his bat and not Delgado.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

This rules, that girl looks like she had a great time. They didn't fire up the dinger machine while this was happening?

DannoMack posted:

Some dude on twitter named Andy Slater tweeted that she's autistic and her folks are super embarrassed. Feel bad for them because as soon as that happened every third comment on twitter was about how the parents are bad parents and should have the kid taken away.

People on twitter never fail to be assholes.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

tadashi posted:

I wonder if I could sneak that Cubs logo through a custom t-shirt place since the Ewok obscures the C enough that I might be able to get away with it.

If at first you don't succeed...

Tried to get this made for a friend at zazzle.com and got a rejection for copyright violation.

Cafepress gave no crap at all.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Neodoomium posted:

I love Gibson and Trammell

why

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Trammell is cool. Was he this way when he managed the Tigers in 2005?

Kirk Gibson is just a piece of poo poo and a bad manager.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Madison Bumgarner had a Maddux with 10 Ks today :monocle:

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.
The Pirates have signed Jayson Nix, sent down Brent Morel, and benched Pedro Alvarez.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

e: Wrong thread.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Tedd_Not_Ed posted:

The Pirates have signed Jayson Nix, sent down Brent Morel, and benched Pedro Alvarez.

They also DFAd minor league OBP superstar Dean Anna.

FairGame posted:

He's fine and playing today and crushed a double in the first.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hope the Pirates throw at Kirk Gibson.

Janana
May 17, 2009

Diamondbacks Baseball: Injuries and Futility R Us

Rand alPaul posted:

Hope the Pirates throw at Kirk Gibson.

I hope that you get some peace in your life, because you appear to need it.

I also hope that all this bullshit just stops. For everyone. (Which might mean Kirk Gibson no longer being a manager, and that's OK.)

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Having been a Cardinals fan my whole life, I saw more than one intentionally hit batsman during the La Russa era. Like everyone else, he has his own unwritten rule book he follows, and if you asked him, you'd get an answer like "Well, it's part of the game. But, we totally didn't hit that guy on purpose tonight."

It's interesting to see this from the outside for once. I can't help but wonder what La Russa will say to Gibson about this incident, or if he says anything at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

FairGame posted:

He was just helped down the stairs to the clubhouse, holding his lower back and walking very slowly.

Cool stuff.

• Locked thread