Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Groucho Marxist posted:

Who cares if one guy is cheap when the other guy is better

Yeah seriously. Kelly may have been young and cheap, but the Cards are not limited by their payroll, Lackey is a better pitcher, and they have a shitload of young guys who can fill Kelly's spot at the back of the rotation once Lackey's deal is up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
They needed rotation depth too, and there really weren't a lot of impact bats on the market. That trade doesn't automatically become bad because they have other needs.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Groucho Marxist posted:

Most of the internet baseball community has convinced themselves of this view because it's apparently impossible for Friedman to make a poor move.

I feel like I've read a ton of stuff saying they lost that trade though? Like there are definitely crazy folks on twitter overrating what they got back (especially that shortstop) to give Friedman the benefit of the doubt, but it's not "most" and I don't know if I've seen anyone going so far as to say they outright won the trade

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Jim Dwyer posted:

Dave Cameron legitimately claimed that Smyly and Franklin are "more valuable" than David Price because of $/WAR or some stupid poo poo

Man that dude doesn't count

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
If I were a bigger cards fan I think I'd be really pissed about that amazing 04 team becoming a footnote to the Red Sox breaking ~*The Curse*~

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

R.D. Mangles posted:

The White Sox had a longer drought of not winning the World Series than Boston, one of the greatest collective pitching performances in postseason history, a batshit lunatic manager, and they ACTUALLY WON THE loving WORLD SERIES, and no one outside of South Siders and baseball nerds seems to give an iota of a poo poo about them.

That was pretty lovely too. Although it was funny when everyone including the actual ignored the historic pitching part and decided they won because of small ball.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

tarlibone posted:

On the 2004 loss: a lot of Cardinals fans don't feel the sting of that one very much because 1) it meant that HBO could finally stop airing their "The Curse of the Bambino" 'documentary' 43 times a day; 2) the Red Sox were kind-of due; and 3) it was mercifully over very quickly.

I dunno, that Cards team was so good. Probably the best one they've had during my lifetime. I was kinda bummed out when they basically became a formality to be dispatched as quickly as possible for the Red Sox coronation, and I was one of the people who was rooting for the Red Sox to finally break through and get all that over with. Like it was over so quickly that no one even remembers the series aside from the final result, it's all about the comeback against the Yankees and then oh yeah then they went and won the actual Series against...well someone. It doesn't matter.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

sportsgenius86 posted:

Sports on Earth died as soon as someone decided it was a good idea to name it Sports on Earth

The dude they were building the site around deciding to bounce after like a month probably didn't help much either. That sucks though. I didn't like some aspects of the site (mostly the NBA and college sports stuff) but in general it was good. Sorry crion! :(

MourningView fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Aug 5, 2014

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

The broken bones posted:

Hanley has been hit by a pitch three separate times in like 10 games in the past 12 months against the Cardinals. All three were high and inside and two were faster than 98 miles per hour.

They were all also in situations where no one would ever intentionally hit a batter. I'm not sure a message is going to make Trevor Rosenthal's control any better. That'd be nice though. It'd make the 9th inning way less stressful.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

The broken bones posted:

You are missing the point as well. This is not what I was saying nor do I disagree with anything you wrote here. I think perhaps you misread what I wrote.

I missed it because your actual point is crazy and would never have occurred to me.

Teams keep guys who throw hard by have less that great control around because it is hard to find people who throw hard with great control and it is generally pretty hard to hit an upper nineties fastball. The benefit to having them, and the reason teams continue to do so, is that they tend to strike lots of people out. It's not that they might possibly once every few seasons injure another player and give their team some small benefit, assuming the guy they hit happens to be valuable. I am sorry Hanley missed some important playoff games but the Cardinals were not constructing their roster with a bunch of hard throwing guys with the intention of injuring opposing star players. Come the gently caress on.

The MLB should absolutely do something about players intentionally throwing at opponents, though admittedly intent can be hard to suss out. It is a completely unnecessary dangerous thing with no place in the sport. Guys accidentally getting hit is of course also dangerous, but it's also inherent to a game where someone is throwing a hard thing in the general direction of another person standing 60 feet away from them. There's not a lot you can do to get rid of it beyond radically changing the sport.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Aug 6, 2014

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Groucho Marxist posted:

Same thing with head shots in football. Enforcing one for HBPs seems really hard to figure out what to do because it's more than just pitching inside less

Well with football most of the accidental ones tend come from players playing in a needlessly dangerous way, which isn't necessarily the case with baseball I don't think. Also injuries resulting from head shots are a much much much bigger issue with football than injuries from HBPs have been in baseball, though obviously there have been some extremely serious injuries and even deaths there too.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

tarlibone posted:

4/17/2010: Cardinals lose in 20 innings, 2-1, at home to visiting Mets.

Felipe Lopez (infielder) pitched one scoreless inning for the Cards, and Joe Mather pitched two innings, taking the loss.

Pitcher Kyle Lohse played three innings in left field.

Obviously, the Mets never led by more than 1. The game was tied at 0-0 until the 19th inning, which ended in a 1-1 tie.

Pulling Lopez after an inning to play matchups with his position players was the most LaRussa moment of all time.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

tarlibone posted:

I'm just wondering why the Dodgers fans need bubbles to enjoy the game. I mean, it's not like the team is expecting them to show up before the 3rd inning or stay past the 7th. Do you really need to play with bubbles for the third of a game that you're actually there?

yo i dunno if you've ever been in los angeles but it turns out it's real loving hard to get places there

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Lorini posted:

However as usual money helps, although I get to games an hour or two before they start.

For most games during the week this would involve leaving work several hour early unless you happen to be close to the stadium.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

tarlibone posted:

Still holding out for a Whitey Herzog return, eh? I've never quite understood the fans who seem to always hate whoever the current manager is. In Matheny's case, it's doubly confounding, because I bet you'd be hard pressed to find any other major league manager who takes over a team after it loses its best player to free agency and has a first season that ends one game shy of the World Series, and a second season that ends two games shy of winning the World Series.

Yes the team he was coaching was very good. If you actually, like, watch games he manages, you woould see he makes awful decisions all the time. They had to trade Allen Craig away just to get him to stop running him out there every single day. He literally did not know how to make a double switch when he took the job, and still regularly fucks it up. His bullpen management is horrible too.

It turns out guys who have never coached above little league are not great picks to manage at the very highest level of the sport.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

FairGame posted:

I'm fine with the experiment. It seemed like a good idea at the time.

No, hiring a guy with literally 0 coaching experience was super dumb at the time too.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

MassaShowtime posted:

He had coaching experience, coaching on the field.

His qualifications were basically "got called a smart player a lot due to being a historically awful hitter who kept getting at bats"

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

angrygodofjebus posted:

Wrigleyville is actually pretty nice and cool

Yeah Wrigley itself is a dump but Wrigleyville is awesome and a lot of fun. The people who hate on it are generally pretty lame, in my experience. Oh no people drinking!!!

Deteriorata posted:

I find it very hard to second-guess guys who've been doing something professionally for decades.

Ah yes Mike Matheny's decades of professional managerial experience.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Aug 7, 2014

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Everblight posted:

Greatest Fictional baseballers, ranked (limit 1/film franchise):
  • Henry Rowengardner
  • Kenny fuckin' Powers
  • Rick Vaughn
  • Steve Nebraska
  • Benny "The Jet" Rodriguez
  • Ed
:colbert:

didn't steve nebraska throw like 200 mph and hit nothing but dingers? that seems better than two closers

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Niwrad posted:

Yes I went to the first night game as a little kid and taking my Dad to this one years later seemed right. I am struggling to get him hyped on Baez. He just keeps saying "like Ty Griffin? or Kevin Orie? or Luis Montanez?".

The wisdom of age.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I'm pretty sure he was making fun of most Cubs fans for being insane when it comes to their current prospects, not saying Sheffield was bad.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Crion posted:

edit: Curse you, MV

that's what you get for using all them words, writer boy

(glad you are going to still be writing places btw)

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He's going to put Descalso in the outfield, just wait.

Did he say that last night? After the guy they'd be replacing hit two homers? Christ, that guy.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Mark Ellis at first base. Sure. Of course. Why not.

The one Cards game I went to in person he started Descalso at short and I think he made three errors in the first two innings. I should get a refund or something.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
If they want to give Matt Holliday a day off they have about 4 outfielders currently in the minors who are all likely as good or better than Daniel Descalso (who doesn't even play the outfield, that was just a joke I made because Matheny seems dumb enough to try it), and quite possibly the best defensive outfielder in baseball sitting on the bench.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Aug 8, 2014

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
So you are saying that because one of their best hitters needs a day off they should then double down and replace another hitter with a guy who is much worse at both hitting and defense. Hrm.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Retail Slave posted:

I get being embarrassed by those ugly-assed unis, but why are they embarrassed by the old Devil Rays name? Is it because of the Devil? Oh noes!

They were really really really really loving bad when they had that name, and have been mostly not bad since.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

holylemon posted:

N: The rally possum showed up at O.co again last night.

V: It can't be much longer until possum-related signs show up in right field and/or the A's do a giveaway starring the O.possum.

It's kinda funny that he only shows up for Shark's starts.

At least this is an organic thing, unlike that stupid goddamn monkey.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

leokitty posted:

The rally monkey team has moved onto the even dumber rally mullet.

Unless they changed it this month they still do the monkey thing pretty much every game (including when they're winning, i'm not sure what they're rallying from there). The monkey is Down With The Sickness.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Abel Wingnut posted:

I can't tell if the Diamondbacks or the Cardinals or the Braves are more insufferable.

Cardinals as a team are fine, it's mostly the fan base.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

thompson posted:

How we haven't won more games is beyond me. It's one of the best staffs in baseball statistically.

Their best hitter by a mile is Seth Smith.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Greg Maddux threw in the low 90s with crazy movement. Not that it is impossible for a girl to hypothetically play major league baseball, but he should not the the go-to example of guy with so-so stuff who was good that he is.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Deteriorata posted:

It obviously depends on whether you're talking about his early or late career numbers. I was being a bit facetious, but 85 was about the best he could do in his later years - and still dominated.

Dominated to the tune of an about 4 ERA, yes.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dr. Capco posted:

I haven't posted in the baseball threads for a long rear end time but in all likelihood Detroit's window just got slammed closed for the forseeable future if Verlander's shoulder is anywhere near injured I would think. To think I was excited about my new work schedule that doesn't have me working 3-1130 all the time so I could actually watch games now. Tell me it's not as bad as I think it is, baseball thread.

gently caress. :smith:

your competition is the loving royals

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He probably does like living there better though, because it is San Diego.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
They're really cozy with the local media and use them to push whatever storyline they want to push, be it trashing the poo poo out of someone on the way out of town or hyping a prospect up like crazy.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

R.D. Mangles posted:

Pretty excited that the Cubs are going to start winning because of a magical statistic called FIP, according to Rany. They are just going to FIP the poo poo out of other teams, gonna FIP their way to the promised land.

xFIP

Their pitching staff will be awful in practice but less bad in theory!

Rany is so bad.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
They only go with a pitcher if there isn't an obvious every day candidate on a winning team, which isn't the case in the AL. Trout is going to win in a landslide.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

tarlibone posted:

Until the TLR era, the Cardinals were certifiably lovely every other decade.

oh my god shut up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

will_colorado posted:

The Rockies game is delayed because of a broken water main on Blake Street

2014 Rockies, y'all.

E: and the game has been called :laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo:

I assume this has led to so many bull durham references

• Locked thread