Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Groucho Marxist posted:

Who cares if one guy is cheap when the other guy is better

Also Lackey is cheaper due to his ridiculous minimum salary thing. The only way this turns into a bad trade is if they think Allen Craig isn't in decline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Gerrit Cole just got scratched from his scheduled rehab start tomorrow. Reports had been good after his first rehab outing on Monday, but welp.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Kirk Gibson tries to start a fight or something tonight because Ernesto Frieri hit Paul Goldschmidt on the hands in the 9th, get ready for Andrew McCutchen to eat a beanball tomorrow.

e: Apparently Goldschmidt is getting an x-ray, so things might really jump off.

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Aug 2, 2014

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Abel Wingnut posted:

Did dude intentionally hit him or just flub a pitch?

It was Ernesto Frieri, he of the career 4+ BB/9 and the complete inability to throw a low fastball, and still wouldn't have hit him if Goldschmidt hadn't swung his hands into the path of the ball. (Not that he wasn't entitled to that space and it wasn't well inside, I'm not saying it wasn't a legit HBP or anything goofy.)

Here's some thoughts from Mr Gibson, per Rob Biertempfel:

quote:

"Pirates pitch inside more than anyone. They lead league in HBP. That's their philosophy."

D-backs Gibson on if Pirates shouldn't throw inside w/ 5-run lead in ninth: "You'll have to ask them."

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
I think he might not do anything goofy today. Goldschmidt gave a quote saying "it's part of the game", it seems like (even more of) an embarrassment to goon it up defending a guy who isn't even mad.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Guess he decided to take the easy way out of rooting for the Mets

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
So instead of throwing at McCutchen in the 1st inning to retaliate for Goldschmidt accidentally getting hit, the D-backs waited until they were losing by 4 runs in the 9th, the pitcher was about to come out, and there was a 3-ball count. :waycool:

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Harlock posted:

Gonna feel so good when he gets fired

Don't forget that Kevin Towers once threatened to come out of the stands and fight a guy or something, the Diamondbacks are an embarrassment straight to the top.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Tedd_Not_Ed posted:

The Pirates have signed Jayson Nix, sent down Brent Morel, and benched Pedro Alvarez.

They also DFAd minor league OBP superstar Dean Anna.

FairGame posted:

I went to bed after the pirates scored a billion runs in the 8th.

Is mccutchen ok? I know he got hit, but none of you have mentioned whether or not he's ok.

He's fine and playing today and crushed a double in the first.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

ALFbrot posted:

He was just helped down the stairs to the clubhouse, holding his lower back and walking very slowly.

Cool stuff.

Looked more like his side, probably an oblique.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

SporkOfTruth posted:

How was the run not eliminated for interference?

The answer is the ump somehow didn't see it happen and supposedly obstruction calls are not reviewable. Unlike calls regarding a catcher obstructing home plate, which are reviewable. This makes sense.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Scob posted:

If it was the pirates getting called out on interference yall would be going nuts, there was nothing wrong with that play. The second baseman should have thrown the ball over the runner instead of trying to "make him get down". You guys hate arizona and thats fine but come on.

I don't think anyone here would be arguing that a Pirates player who intentionally blocked a throw shouldn't be called out, and the fact you don't seem to have seen the play makes your criticism seem silly.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Scob posted:

I did see the play and guess what guys throw their arms up going into second base every game, and the runner was in the baseline and able to reach the base so get over it you big baby, and yes there would be people bitching.

Okay, then since you did see the play maybe you could explain how you would suggest that Nix "throw over him", given that Nix already steps out of the way of the runner and Ahmed chooses to swerve toward him and throw his arm up? Or what "make him get down" means in the context where a runner is sliding but actively puts his arm up in the path of the ball?

Also I'm sorry that it makes you angry that people get upset when their team is literally cheated out of a baseball game.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

tatankatonk posted:

I'd get angry, and then I'd realize that it's a private for-profit corporation staffed by people who do not know about me and would not care about me if they knew, and then I'd go back to not caring about "my" team.

You're posting in the online sports forum making fun of people who care about sports?

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Abel Wingnut posted:

So he's out of the lineup for good? Wasn't he their second best hitter?

Everblight posted:

Let Pedro take over at 1B, move Ike Davis to the surface of the moon.

FairGame posted:

Presumably, move Marte to CF, which means Harrison to LF, and Pedro goes back to 3rd until/if McCutchen heals.

Genuinely bummed about the McCutchen injury.

So, here's the deal with Pedro Alvarez: sure, dude is never going to be Brooks Robinson, but that's mostly because he's kinda fat and doesn't have any freakish skills (compared to other pro baseballers, that is) to make up for it. But he's been surprisingly athletic and his arm is strong so he's been acceptable at the position because it's been an offensive upgrade (sometimes the upgrade has been more theoretical). But now he straight up has the yips. Like, "whole games without an accurate throw" level yips. When he's not sailing routine throws (and one of the reasons it's easy to diagnose "yips" instead of "bad defense" is that he's actually worse on routine throws than difficult ones), he's visibly overcompensating and throwing the ball into the ground. So ultimately, the answer is: he may simply not be available for extended action in the field, and there's really no way that anyone who doesn't know him personally can say. Hurdle is supposedly this godlike Leader Of Men, it's up to him and his staff to figure out what can help Pedro psychologically.

One thing that you really can't do is make him move positions in August. First base is the easiest defensive position, sure, but it still has unique footwork and stuff that you have to learn. Taking a guy who is obviously struggling with some issues, saying "you've been demoted!", and expecting him to learn a whole new position overnight is just infeasible. In fact, moving him at all should be a last resort; assuming his problem is mostly mental, there's no reason it can't get worked out as abruptly (not necessarily easily or quickly, mind you) as it started. Moving him means giving up on Ike Davis (whose power is apparently just gone but is still maintaining a .350 OBP) and just hoping that Josh Harrison is actually Ben Zobrist now despite being a fringe Major League utilityman for several years.

The bigger issue here (getting to Abel's question about him being the Pirates' second-best hitter) is that Pedro's season at the plate isn't too terribly different from Davis's. Alvarez is at a career high in walk rate and has cut his strikeout rate by 6%, but it's been accompanied by a huge decline in HR/FB so his overall batting line has fallen off from 2012/2013. Like Davis, Alvarez is clearly incapable of hitting LHP, so it's not really clear that he would be an upgrade in the 1B platoon anyway.

So, tldr what I think happens now is Josh Harrison gets the starts at 3B, Starling Marte comes back up and plays in CF, and then Travis Snider platoons with either Jayson Nix or Michael Martinez (if Nix, this might be done by putting Nix at 3B and Harrison in the OF vs LHP), and the Pirates desperately try to fix the yips.

-----

theacox posted:

The problem, to me, is assuming intent. While the intent here seems clear, it is not so in the vast majority of cases.

If teams had to go out of their way to pretend like they're not intentionally beaning guys, it might actually shame them into not doing it. Plus it seems kind of hard to argue that it's a good way to send a message if you're simultaneously doing your best to make sure the message doesn't get sent.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
With respect to suspension discussion, I think that 1) it's not like there are any major US sports leagues that are NOT full of stupid macho posturing, so probably all of them could stand to improve; and 2) there's a big difference between a heat-of-the-moment fight and a pre-meditated attack on another player.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

tinstaach posted:

There are zero people on this earth who include the increased chance of a devastating injury as a benefit of pitching inside. Zero.

^^^^^^^^^^ That's very true, but the absolute least they can do is give out severe punishments in cases of clear intent, like this one

People do list "making the batter uncomfortable" (i.e. worried they're going to get hit with a baseball) as a benefit, but I don't think that anyone is looking for players with bad control and hoping they knock opponents out of the game.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
By the way, I don't think anyone mentioned it here but it came out a couple days ago that the Yankees (and in general the MLB's really exploitative approach to young talent) apparently ruined some Dominican kid's life. So that's cool.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
The cool thing about position players pitching is that almost every result is funny.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
The Pirates still have not placed Andrew McCutchen on the DL, and also Neil Walker was removed from the game yesterday due to aggravating his back injury that he was never placed on the DL for. He skipped BP today. Also also Starling Marte came back from his concussion yesterday but said he wasn't 100%. On the pitching side, Stolmy Pimentel has appeared in only 16 games despite being with the team all season, probably because he's #2 on the Long Reliever depth chart behind Jeanmar Gomez AND also #2 on the Mop-Up Guy depth chart behind Ernesto Frieri.

So, if you're following at home, the Pirates are operating in a tight pennant race with a 22-man roster that includes a bench catcher, 4 platoon-only hitters (being kind to Nix and including him here), and Michael Martinez.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Deteriorata posted:

Perhaps they actually are brilliant at it, based on statistics that professional team keep that never see the light of the internet. I find it very hard to second-guess guys who've been doing something professionally for decades. I prefer to give them the benefit of the doubt and not go all Dunning-Krueger when I know I have less information than they do.

They may actually be idiots, but I have trouble working up the arrogance to declare that I know better.

If managers were making decisions based on top-secret proprietary data, it's pretty likely one of them would have mentioned this by now instead of "well, he's 4 for 7 lifetime against the opposing starter, his batting average with RISP is high, and gosh darn it I've just got a gut feeling that this is gonna be his night."

Ultimately, managers have the unenviable task of being Zen enough to mostly do nothing. I doubt that "nothing" is a very attractive course of action when you are the public face of leadership for a zillion-dollar corporation, and managers are not really hired from the demographics that are disposed to ignore that feeling just because it happens to be mathematically superior.

That said, I wish I could trade my smartphone for Clint Hurdle. I could hang out and shoot the poo poo with Clint, my smartphone could construct a lineup and avoid calling bunts, everyone wins.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Marlins reliever Dan Jennings took a Jordy Mercer line drive directly to the side of the head today (it hit him so hard that it popped up high enough for the shortstop to catch it in the air for an out) and had to be carted off the field and taken to the hospital. Word from the Marlins is that his CT has come back with nothing more serious than a concussion.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Amazing. They challenge the 3rd-least in MLB and they still get almost all of them wrong.

Actually, the NL Central is sort of bizarre. We have the three lowest-challenge teams, but then also #1 and #6. The Cards and Reds challenge rarely and have horrible success rates, the Brewers challenge rarely but succeed a lot, then the Pirates challenge a lot and usually win.

Also, in response to alpha_destroy's original question, the Royals have won more challenges than anyone but the Giants (unless I'm missing something).

e: Another weird small-sample thing is that practically nobody uses challenges against the Mets or Nationals.

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Aug 9, 2014

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

VJeff posted:

Quote from Joe Nathan after blowing a save today:

Pretty sure he tried to shift blame to Brad Ausmus for calling for an IBB of Bautista after Joe put the winning run on 3rd too. This after he dicked on Nick Castellanos earlier in the year.

This guy's a real team player, I tell ya what.

Edit: Oh my god, now he's throwing Miggy under the bus too. :wtf:

I don't know how he's supposedly throwing people under the bus, but that quote seems pretty reasonable.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Boon posted:

I think we're close enough to the end of the season where it is conceivable that the Yankees, Cardinals, Red Sox, and the Phillies may not make the post-season, while the Brewers, Pirates, Royals, A's, and Orioles will.

ESPN may actually shut down or unceremoniously stop covering MLB after September 30th.

Lumping the Phillies in with the Yankees, Cardinals, and Red Sox is sort of weird.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Legs Benedict posted:

Dodger traded for Kevin Correia. PTBNL or cash

Why didn't you trade for Price

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Bryce Harper intentionally defaced another team's logo while walking up to bat, it's not the Barves who are acting like babies here.

On the other hand, the ballpark is making "Bryce Harper is a girl" jokes, so I suppose nevermind, everyone looks bad.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
It's not oversensitive to be offended when someone goes out of their way to offend you, it is actually normal to call that kind of behavior rude and childish. Calling it "trolling" isn't a justification, it just points out that Internet culture is also by and for antisocial children.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

the popes toes posted:

Bryce Harper dressed up a scarecrow in a Braves uni and set fire to it and then jumped up and down on it cackling like a madman and then put it on YouTube

He should actually do this though.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

BIZORT posted:

It must be incredibly tiring to be you

See? Kicking dirt is incredibly silly when you can have people stalk you from thread to thread just for mocking their misogynist shitposts.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
The whole Giancarlo Stanton discussion is a media construction based on national guys building a narrative to fill column space and local guys pushing RealGM-level homer trade ideas.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

the popes toes posted:

Sandwich chat it is as I really don't want to talk about the Orioles. OK? I don't want to talk about them.

I'm here in Europe and if you buy sausage from a vendor you can get a foot long sausage in a bread roll about 4 inches long. It's absurd. You got meat hanging out on both ends.

{************************} = sausage
{....} = bread
------------------------------------
not a sandwich

Which end do you eat first? You put some mustard in the part inside the roll, sure, but what about the parts hanging out? This is not a sandwich. I want to explain to the vendor this is not the way Americans would do it. We would clothe the entire sausage as it is our seemly and practical way. Luckily for him I don't speak his foreign jibber jabber.

I learned a lot from this post, this is a good post.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
That cross-checker should be out of baseball starting today.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Groucho Marxist posted:

the only unacceptable cheer is rock chalk

*adds Groucho to my "Seven Nation JoePa Likers" list*

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
There's a cool surprise hidden in ESPN's photos of the Cards/Cubes game tonight, let's see how long it stays up. (The surprise is a Cardinals fan's dick.)

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

I'll tell you somewherething else he "aims to head"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Mike Matheny is actually an MLB imposition on the Cardinals, they're secretly taking a page from NASCAR and installing restrictor plates to keep teams from performing too well.

• Locked thread