Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

The only reason to dislike the Craig/Kelly deal is because Joe Kelly is really loving cool, and Allen Craig has a tortoise and probably would've been the 2011 WS MVP if not for David Freese somehow being even more clutch.

And that's a perfectly good reason to dislike it.

But the team is unquestionably better for the move, both now and in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

davecrazy posted:

1. Brock Holt, RF
2. Dustin Pedroia, 2B
3. David Ortiz, DH
4. Mike Napoli, 1B
5. Allen Craig, LF
6. Xander Bogaerts, SS
7. Will Middlebrooks, 3B
8. David Ross, C
9. Mookie Betts, CF

Boo, I wanted to see Céspedes dingers!

Allen Craig blocks more exciting on-field players. It's what he does.

He rules. Be good to him.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I know he's saying he will, but if will be absolutely shocked if lackey pitches in 2015 for 500k.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

seiferguy posted:

Didn't Jim Thome skin a deer in his front yard pissing off his neighbor, then as amends he offered the neighbor some of the meat?

Yes. The neighbor was my coworker. She was like fourteen or something at the time.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I went to bed after the pirates scored a billion runs in the 8th.

Is mccutchen ok? I know he got hit, but none of you have mentioned whether or not he's ok.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

tatankatonk posted:

I care about sports! I don't care when the baseball team I like loses one more regular season game, though.

In fairness, the baseball team you like could likely lose several more games and still win its division.

Unlike the pirates, who if they make the playoffs, will do so by the skin of their teeth. Even more so if mccutchen misses time.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

IcePhoenix posted:

Agreed, throw at pitchers instead.

This is the worst of the "the DH is bad" arguments.

"Why, if pitchers don't hit, then how will we throw at them to make them accountable for when they hit batters while pitching?"

Nevermind the fact that you shouldn't be throwing a loving baseball at people in the first place.

(Not saying you're seriously arguing for this; I just was reminded of a stupid argument made by stupid people who start their arguments with the assumption that vengeance by HBP is inherently a valuable part of the game)

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Presumably, move Marte to CF, which means Harrison to LF, and Pedro goes back to 3rd until/if McCutchen heals.

Genuinely bummed about the McCutchen injury.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

How is anyone seriously saying the 2006 Cardinals were the favorites vs. the 2006 Tigers?

The 2006 Cardinals rotation seriously consisted of Chris Carpenter and 3 guys who sucked poo poo: Anthony Reyes, Jeff Suppan, and Jeff Weaver. Somehow Jason Marquis was so bad he couldn't crack that group and was left off the postseason roster.

Scott Rolen was playing injured and Preston Wilson and Ronnie Belliard had prominent roles on the team.

The whole reason the Cards won that year is because a short series is random and weird as poo poo. If they played that series for 162 games, the Tigers probably win like 90 of 'em.

The only thing about 2004 that bothers me is that the NLCS got overlooked due to the Sox comeback. The NLCS had walk-off home runs in back-to-back games. It had Carlos Beltran starting his legend of being ludicrously good in the postseason for teams that just don't quite make it.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

ALFbrot posted:

Reports coming in that McCutchen has a fractured rib, not an oblique strain.

HMMMMMMM

Baseball fans should be apoplectic that the entire Diamondbacks organization condones this poo poo, and that MLB does nothing to prevent it.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

ColdBlooded posted:

Beaning guys for retribution isn't something unique to the D-Backs. I think we can all agree that it's dumb but I think lots of players view it as part of the game.

If we all agree that it's dumb--including many players (some of whom were run out of town by the DBacks org for expressing such an opinion)--why can't something be done about it?

Who cares if Arizona's not the only club that does it? You have to start somewhere, and this is a cut-and-dry case of a lovely organization calling for a revenge HBP that injured the league MVP in the midst of a pennant race. Montero flipped the bird to the pitcher. That was the signal to hit him.

There is nothing mysterious about this, and MLB is missing a great opportunity to try and remove what really boils down to assault.

Pitcher suspensions insufficiently long? Then lengthen them. gently caress pitchers that do this; let 'em miss 3 starts and 2 weeks worth of pay. If the Player's Union doesn't agree to "we're trying to lengthen your careers by keeping you from being injured" then they're fools.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Groucho Marxist posted:

It's the union's job to fight any suspension that a player wants to appeal.

No, I know that. I meant more along the lines of "institute mandatory minimums for intentional HBPs and codify it as part of the next CBA."

Union's more than welcome to dispute what's intentional vs. non-intentional on a case-by-case basis, as they should.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

gently caress you, TLR. Just when I was starting to come around on you because I've been subjected to the horrors of Matheny.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

tarlibone posted:

I agree that he's got a problem with loyalty to players who are clearly trending downward. I only recently regrew the hair that I'd pulled out of my head every time he tried to bring Mitchell Boggs in to close out a game. It was the same problem we had with him running Craig out there when it was clear to everyone else that he wasn't coming out of his slump anytime soon.

But I don't miss many games, and I don't see many screwed up double-switches. The only one I distinctly remember is the one from 2012 against the Marlins, where he eventually had to do more substituting because Ozzie Guillen claimed to be confused as to what the number 5 means. This only was an issue because Ozzie Guillen is kind-of an idiot, and the guy he complained to, umpire Bob "How Do I Still Have A Job?" Davidson, is a complete idiot. You can google that one if you like; it's actually hilarious reading.

Have I missed a bunch of other similar screw-ups? I know a lot of his substitutions are questionable, but double-switching is always a risk. I'm not aware of any actual mistakes in pulling off a double-switch other than the one facilitated by one moron who's no longer in baseball and another, bigger one who still is.

I have literaly lost count of how many times matheny has made a double switch while bringing in a guy he intends to only pitch for one inning, thus making the double switch pointless. Usually they also involve daniel descalso, which makes it actively detrimental.

I feel like you are confsedby what we mean here. Matheny knows how to make a double switch. He quite clearly does not understand WHY you make one. He's playing at managing because he's seen managers do these things. He does not understand the strategy behind such moves, and after 3 years I am tired of waiting fr him to learn on the job.

The man is a tactical moron, and as groucho pointed out, maybe not even a good leader. He sucks.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Clubhouse harmony.

Also, in fairness, unless you wanted like...Sam Freeman or something, the Cardinals entered the 2013 postseason with only 23 useful players anyway.

Like...Adron Chambers was probably the 2nd best hitter on the bench until the World Series, when crippled Allen Craig was ready to go.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Pat Clements posted:

People bitching about Washington/Matheny as a manager I kind of get, because frankly their actions can hinder extremely well-constructed teams. Neither of them are as mind-bogglingly stupid as Robin Ventura, who has somehow slid under the radar for three years because Jerry Reinsdorf loves him.

That said, any Yankee fans who bitch about Cashman or Giants fans who bitch about Sabean need to be fired into the sun.

The best manager in baseball wouldn't make the White Sox a playoff team right now.

Ron Washington literally cost his team the 2011 World Series.

tarlibone posted:

I can understand it. But really, what were the choices? Terry Francona's ignoble end in Boston all but excluded him from serious consideration, and the club was probably never considering Cubs legend Ryne Sandberg seriously. Personally, I was hoping Oquendo would be named manager, given his experience with the team as both a player and a coach. And I'm still not sure why he was passed over.

Terrible though he may be, he's got his team in contention in a strong division for the third year in a row. Things could be worse.

I'm fine with the experiment. It seemed like a good idea at the time. I was excited about Matheny, and I figured he'd be a good leader and the team was good enough he could learn on the job. I liked the idea that the manager would clearly be junior to Mozeliak, who I think is a great GM and had to share power with TLR, sometimes with significant problems (see: Chris Duncan for Julio Lugo)

Except...he hasn't learned on the job. The Cardinals are in 1st place right now if a non-moron manager is at the helm. I don't ask much. Just the ability to learn from mistakes. But when Trevor Rosenthal appears for the 3290239th game in a row when Pat Neshek is just chillin' in the bullpen, and you watch the team blow it...it's rather frustrating.

And if your principal argument for defending Matheny is "Three years ago, he wasn't such a bad choice," that is pretty damning of Mike Matheny in TYOOL 2014.

FairGame fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Aug 7, 2014

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

MourningView posted:

No, hiring a guy with literally 0 coaching experience was super dumb at the time too.

I honestly figured "well, he knows personnel management from being a catcher, and it's not like baseball strategy is all that complex; he'll figure that stuff out as he goes."

In hindsight, yes, you're absolutely right.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Pander posted:

We need a catcher, right? I nominate John Kinsella.

Uh.

Jack Parkman. He's doing his little shimmy. It makes all the girls here in Cleveland puke.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

commy gun posted:

$50 and worth it

so Werth it

I got stuck at L'Enfant Plaza for 60 minutes because of that loving gnome.

I didn't get one, either.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

alpha_destroy posted:

On a side note; I want to see what each team's success rate is on challenges because it seems like Yost is pretty good at challenges. I really don't like Yost, but he seems to rock that one aspect of managing.

http://baseballsavant.com/apps/replays.php?ddlTeams=Cardinals&ddlTypes=&ddlGameDate=&ddlChallenger=TeamChallenging

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I'm pretty sure the cards will finish 2014 with both a negative run differential and a playoff spot. What an odd season.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Farchanter posted:

If Oakland finally wins the Series this year, the marketing campaign for that opossum is going to be out of control.

Quick, someone sketch up the A's "elephant on the ball" logo, but with an opossum.

Stadium vermin should not be made into a rallying point! The rally squirrel was the worst.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

MourningView posted:

Cardinals as a team are fine, it's mostly the fan base.

It's better now that Carpenter and TLR are gone, but let's not pretend that Yadier Molina isn't a gigantic angry baby (in addition to being a great catcher).

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

The Padres sent Jason Lane back down to the minors despite being superb in his one start, and being the most interesting player on the team. Boo, Padres, and anything they do until Lane returns :mad:

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

If Greg Maddux wasn't Greg Maddux, he would not have still been pitching in 2007 and 2008.

Also, he was mediocre or sucked in 2007 and 2008.

e: there's nothing wrong with just saying "Hey, I'm wrong about _____." I do it all the time. You don't need to die on this hill.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Dr. Capco posted:

I haven't posted in the baseball threads for a long rear end time but in all likelihood Detroit's window just got slammed closed for the forseeable future if Verlander's shoulder is anywhere near injured I would think. To think I was excited about my new work schedule that doesn't have me working 3-1130 all the time so I could actually watch games now. Tell me it's not as bad as I think it is, baseball thread.

gently caress. :smith:

It's not as bad as you think. Verlander has sucked for pretty much the entire season (probably because he's been injured), and it's entirely possible the Tigers will be a better team without him taking the ball every 5 days.

Also, the Royals aren't really very good and I'd be shocked if a superior Tigers team doesn't catch them.

If you're talking about 2015, then yeah, it's a problem. Especially if Scherzer leaves. Especially if Sanchez is more injured than he currently seems.

But 2014? They'll be in the playoffs as AL Central champs.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I feel like a lot of this misses the point. Whether McCutchen's injury was the cause of an intentional HBP or not really doesn't matter. Dude was hit with a baseball on purpose. That should not be allowed to go unpunished.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Guys, remember when Tim McCarver said on a FOX broadcast that Chien-Ming Wang and Hee Seop Choi both grew up loving baseball in their home country, but somehow never met?

Good times.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Crion posted:

It's really cool how this is being reported as "Felix Hernandez leads all of baseball in WAR" a lot of places because only one of the two formulations of the stat (the less useful one) has its own propaganda arm

gently caress Fangraphs and all, but is this really that big a deal? Hernandez is really loving close to the top in bWAR, too.

It's not like that chart that said Andrelton Simmons is the 10th-most-valuable player over 162 games in baseball history. Felix is Really loving Good and having an amazing season.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Harlock posted:

It's gonna be McCutchen if all he misses is 15 days. If he misses more than that, it's gonna be fair game.

Hell yeah I'm the most valuable poster

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

ALFbrot posted:

N: Pirates claim John Axford from Cleveland, possibly DFA Stolmy Pimentel

V: Thank god, that'll totally fix our dumpster-fire unreliable middle bullpen!!!!!

Axford's actually pretty good this season and if you take away his last outing his ERA is like a full run lower.

Given that the Pirates inexplicably carried like 2 different long relievers, this probably helps out a bit at the margins.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

vegeta dentata posted:

No one gives a poo poo, but Rafael Furcal is out of the season with hamstring surgery.

2014 line: 9 games 37 PA .171/.216/.229 24 OPS+

$3.5 million (5th most!!!! on Marlins payroll)

wow

Furcal appeared in some extra innings game that I think the Marlins rallied in the 9th, only to lose a few innings later.

I was shocked he was still playing.

And now, he isn't.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

tadashi posted:

I guess the best thing you can say about the Marlins off-season maneuvers was they didn't sign Yuni Betancourt, Michael Young or Delmon Young.

Delmon Young is actually doing pretty well for the Orioles.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

DannoMack posted:

Is there anywhere that tracks a positional OPS+?

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/split.cgi?t=b&lg=MLB&year=2014#defp

e: whoops, wasn't expecting this to be top of the next page.

Here's some Game of Thrones Cardinals stuff I guess http://www.vivaelbirdos.com/2014/8/15/6004231/dugout-thrones-a-song-of-grounders-and-flies

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Scob posted:

Well matheny is teaching taveras a lesson by starting shane robinson for a second straight night. The second best manager in the national league according to his peers haha.

I came here to post this

I blame Mozeliak for Shane Robinson being on the roster; they could have promoted Grichuk or something after the Kelly/Craig deal.

But yeah...at this point I kinda hope the Cards miss the playoffs because it'd provide ample cover to can Matheny's dumb rear end.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Schweinhund posted:

Taveras just played in 22 straight games and there's 3 pages about how he's not being played. It could be just giving him a mental break or he could be hurt. He also has a 49 OPS+ which is a lot worse than Trout's 89.

Matheny is doing his best to bury him in the media. Fortunately, the media is sick of matheny's bullshit whining anytime someone criticizes the team's inept 29th in the majors offense, so they're siding with taveras for he most part.

tarlibone posted:

Sorry you're not a fan of a better team. Really, though, that's not my problem.

He's a brewers fan. So he is a fan of a better team.

As for Robinson over taveras, that's indefensible. Robinsons career numbers are worse than taveras even while he sucks (and yes, if it makes you feel better I will say that taveras has sucked to date). Robinson in 2014 has been even worse than Robinson before 2014. He should not be starting two straight games. He should not even be on the roster. If matheny wants to bench taveras, he should put bourjos (who also sucks but is great at defense and can steal a base and also occasionally gets an xbh) in center and jay in right.

There is no excuse for Robinson being on the roster. That's on mozeliak. He should know by now that matheny can't loving resist playing his vets. As you said, grichuk would have been a far better option.

Yes,taveras may bust. I think it's unlikely, but he may. But just as you asked had any of us not seen a can't miss prospect bust, have you not seen this scenario play out time and again with the cardinals?

Wong. Benched for a worse hitting mark Ellis and Daniel descalso (who also should not be on the team.) banished to the minors. Was better offensively and defensively at the time of his demotion, and now that he's playing every day is far far better.

Craig. Literally killing the team with his million rounders and crippled defense. Love the guy, but matheny was a fool to keep trotting him out. Definition of insanity and all that.

Mitchell Boggs.

The husk of Edward mujica late in 2013.

The continued existence of Daniel descalso on a major league roster.

The inexplicable benching of Shelby miller, who still occupied a playoff roster spot.

Carlos Martinez yo yos between aaa and mlb because matheny can't decide whether he wants to overuse him as a reliever or get mad when he's not immediately an ace starter.

Mike matheny has no goddamn idea how to manage a roster, abuses his players at he does play, and actively interferes with the development of his rookies.

He hates rookies so much, he sawed off his own fingers just to gently caress with rick ankiel's mind!

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

DeepDickPizza posted:

I appreciate you defending me, but I'm a Cubs fan, not a Brewers fan.
:suicide:

Oh. Well in that case "gently caress you" I guess.

I think I confused you with DICKS FOR DINNER. Whatever happened to that guy, anyway?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Hi, Mike Matheny is the worst and while there are probably many reasons why Trevor Rosenthal sucks completely now, I'm going to blame Matheny for that too.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

tarlibone posted:

Right now, Jon Jay is on as much of a hot streak as we've seen him on. But, he struggles in the top of the lineup for some reason. I can't explain it, but over the last few years, he's worked his way to just about where he is now.

That said, maybe it's time to bump him up to 5th or 6th. It's not like anyone in the lineup besides Carpenter has been routinely dependable. It certainly couldn't hurt any.

I figured you were wrong about this because a batter is a batter is a batter, protection doesn't exist, your spot in the lineup only matters the first time in a game, etc.

But there is a notable improvement when Jon Jay's hitting 8th than any other spot in the order.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=jayjo02&year=Career&t=b#lineu

My assumption is that it's because the #8 hitter actually does get treated appreciably differently with IBBs and poo poo so the pitcher can come up at #9.

Anybody know if that's the case? Do #8 hitters, who are usually really bad, get made to look less-bad because of having the pitcher behind them? In aggregate, I mean. Not in Jon Jay's case; I don't particularly think he's a special snowflake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

gyroball posted:

I came to the realization that there might be people here who remember my Let's Play Baseball Mogul threads from years ago who don't follow me on Twitter. Hopefully it's not out of line to bring this up here.

I've started a reboot of sorts with the 2014 Royals in MLB The Show and have been running it on my blog to avoid losing it like the LPBBM threads.

The first post is here: https://wp.me/pSRKA-qQ but I'm all the way up through May through eight posts.

I wanted to post this the other day and then I remembered that if you really wanted to, you'd do it yourself. So thanks; it's awesome.

In other news, has anyone watched this clip of Gammons and Chris Russo? It's hilarious; Gammons just wants no part of Russo's idiocy. http://awfulannouncing.com/2014/peter-gammons-wasnt-having-any-of-chris-russos-crap-on-wednesday.html

• Locked thread