Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

IcePhoenix posted:

if the Pirates manager had any sense he wouldn't have even let McCutchen bat in that situation.

I am aware that it's stupid that this is even a thing but when you are playing against stupidity you have to know it's coming.

The bench was empty, save the backup catcher, who I don't think you should put in center field, even with a 7 run lead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

IcePhoenix posted:

clearly he shouldn't have wasted his backups earlier in the game then :colbert:

Harsh, but fair

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

FairGame posted:

I went to bed after the pirates scored a billion runs in the 8th.

Is mccutchen ok? I know he got hit, but none of you have mentioned whether or not he's ok.

He was just helped down the stairs to the clubhouse, holding his lower back and walking very slowly.

Cool stuff.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
[sighing intensifies]

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

achillesforever6 posted:

Well now he is on the 15 DL, god drat it :negative:

[SIGHING INTENSIFIES]

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Thom P. Tiers posted:

The ALCS that year was so epic. For the actual World Series to be a boring sweep was a drat shame.

One more reason to hate the Cards v:shobon:v

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Reports coming in that McCutchen has a fractured rib, not an oblique strain.

HMMMMMMM

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I almost feel like the worst part of it is the pitch sequence. They threw inside, he avoided it. They then threw a slider low and away, which I took to mean "ok, you got the message, let's play baseball now," and I think Cutch did, too. Then the middle-finger-point got him drilled in the spine, and here we are. Dirty poo poo.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Schweinhund posted:

I'd rather be hit 32 times on purpose than 61 times accidentally.

Accidental HBP are frequently on failed breaking pitches, rather than 90+ MPH fastballs aimed at a person, so your mileage may vary.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Boon posted:

I'm still waiting to see a substantiated report that McCutch broke a rib.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/pirates/2014/08/05/McCutchen-has-rib-cartilege-injury-Pirates-say/stories/201408050186

edit: I guess that's not technically a fractured rib, but I once suffered a costochondral separation, and I can tell you that it probably hurts just as bad. I separated mine by sneezing, but had taken a very heavy knee to the exact spot of it playing football earlier in the day.

ALFbrot fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Aug 5, 2014

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

tarlibone posted:

Oh, I agree with you, and largely because of this point: they did attempt to reduce those collisions by changing the rules, so you'd think that they might take a look at HBPs, too. But until they do something, it's just "part of the game." I'm not saying it's a good justification. It's just the one they seem to be using.

And so I guess Cutch's injury probably isn't related to the HPB? Well, if that's the case, then it doesn't really help McCutchen one way or the other, but the D-Backs have probably dodged a bullet. I expect the furor will die down if the injury isn't a result of a beanball, and Arizona will have to wait until they play the Dodgers again to try and force MLB to change the HBP rules.

I think it's a lot more likely that it's directly related than when it was presumed to be an oblique strain.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Nick Rivers posted:

Wait what has been somewhat lovely about it? It seems that collisions are way down, I watch every Mariners game and can't think of one that has happened all year, off the top of my head.

The vagueness of the rule has resulted in some truly insane outcomes after lengthy reviews on totally clean plays.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
If a team wanted to hit Holliday with a ball in a spot that would really hurt, they could just hit a fly ball to him

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

tarlibone posted:

I don't know if it's ever come up before. Ever since baseballers began using gloves, you've had a situation where the glove really only fits one hand, all but forcing you to throw with the opposite hand, unless you stop and remove the glove first. Pitching is highly specialized throwing, so there's a possibility that the rule book has no say on switch-throwers.

It's come up, but only in independent leagues/minor leagues. I don't know if there's anything in the MLB rulebook, but it's probably covered.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Der Meister posted:

Sigh, Ramirez to the DL with an oblique injury.

Hanley? Alexei? Aramis? Manny?

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

bacon brewed beer posted:

Can someone point me in the right direction to find a Mark Grace Cubs Onesie / baby outfit?

http://www.cafepress.com/mf/7140784...uctId=769137386

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

tarlibone posted:

Right, but they can also most definitely happen because of a strong muscle contraction, the kinds athletes are, well, known for. Something like trying to hit a 9-run homer, perhaps. Seeing as how the fracture didn't seem to occur (or at least it didn't affect his ability to play) until the moment he took a big swing a game after he was hit in the spine with the ball. The 11th rib is also pretty low. Did the ball even hit him there?

I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm just saying that an injury cause by a pitch doesn't often wait a whole day to manifest, and even if it did, what are the odds that it would wait a whole day, move to a different part of the body, and occur right at the moment that the person was doing something else which could cause the same injury? and all at once?

Certainly the swing on the sac fly was the direct cause, as he could play baseball before it and needed help going down stairs after it. However, I think there is still a possible causal relationship between the HBP and the injury.

This is all anecdotal, so take it with a grain of salt, but when I was 18, I played tackle football with some friends. During a play, I went down to the ground and a friend of mine fell on top of me, planting his knee squarely into my chest, just to the left of my sternum. It hurt, but was pretty much fine afterwards. That night, about 10 hours later, I sneezed, and POP. I suffered a costochondral separation and was in searing pain for weeks afterwards.

It's not 100% exactly the same injury, but, in my experience, physical impact/shock to the ribcage can lead to normal actions causing cartilage injury later on.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

MourningView posted:

your competition is the loving royals

The Tigers' biggest competition is still the Tigers

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I'm glad Russell Martin is having such a good season at and behind the plate.. I think he really fits in in Pittsburgh, because it's his job to throw out guys who steal.. it's the Steel city.. just spitballin here god bless

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Goetta posted:

Mesoraco is thriving in Cincy since he loves to uh sit at home and uh watch tv I guess

good view of the skyline from behind home plate... skyline chili...

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

mattfl posted:

Can't wait to see him crushing balls out of Fenway next year! :mmmhmm:

Huge take

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

FlamingLiberal posted:

And people wonder why the Marlins don't have fans: because our owner auctions away all of our best players when the price gets too high

The alternate course of action is, of course, letting them swat dingers for a .500 team until their contracts expire and they can't afford them anymore, at which point they walk with nothing in return (except those cool dingers)

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Paul Zuvella posted:

This does not really apply because they control Stanton for 3 more years.

It kind of does, as with 3 more years of control, he should command a king's ransom on the market

I'm not saying they should trade him, I'm just saying it's defensible.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Harlock posted:

Diamondbacks are so old school they still play Nintendo in the clubhouse

I dunno, that pitch looks pretty far inside

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

The Rangers should have a fan contest to let someone pitch a game

Haven't they already killed enough of their fans for you

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

VJeff posted:

@ESPNStatsInfo: Max Scherzer is 2nd Tigers pitcher in last 100 years to pitch 8+ scoreless innings with 14+ K and 3 H or fewer (joins Mickey Lolich)

That seems pretty good.

He was also facing a banged-up Pirates lineup featuring the likes of Chris Stewart, Jayson Nix, Michael Martinez, and 2014 "Broken Brain Edition" Pedro Alvarez

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
N: Pirates claim John Axford from Cleveland, possibly DFA Stolmy Pimentel

V: Thank god, that'll totally fix our dumpster-fire unreliable middle bullpen!!!!!

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Rand alPaul posted:

Given how cheap they are I wouldn't be surprised if he gets traded in the offseason. They don't want to spend money and his contract gets expensive.

2015 28 Pittsburgh Pirates $10,000,000
2016 29 Pittsburgh Pirates $13,000,000
2017 30 Pittsburgh Pirates $14,000,000
2018 31 Pittsburgh Pirates *$14,750,000 $14.75M Team Option, $1M Buyout

Well, that sure is an opinion, I guess

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Harlock posted:

Considering he was born before ESPN existed - no.

omg then was ESPN named after him?!?!?!

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Pumpkin McPastry posted:

.24 points of BABIP just isn't that much, and his xFIP is always going to be better than his ERA because he's a guy who has always made a ton of mistakes that get loving killed.

.24 in BABIP is incredibly enormous, I presume you mean .024 :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Baseball is... good??

edit: whoops, wrong thread. I will proclaim that a "view" and that the "news" is that the Pirates have roundly beaten the Brewers in the first two games of their series in Miller Park.

• Locked thread