Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Harlock posted:

Enjoy your favorite team's playoff hopes dwindling.

I enjoy my team's most important days being the trade deadline and september call-ups. See you when Baez fails to hit in the majors in a month, fuckers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Explosionface posted:

Colvin get cool points for getting stabbed in the chest with a baseball bat and continuing to play baseball, if nothing else.

I saw Colvin play at Round Rock and a bunch of Cub fans were clamoring for his autographs as if he was destined for superstardom because these misguided souls did not realize he was being called up by the Chicago Cubs.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

holy :lol:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

It's old and I may have missed discussion on it, but has anyone read the Pat Jordan article on Johnny Damon in retirement?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Jeff Bridges was rolling on the Shabbos:
http://m.mlb.com/lad/video/v35005181/jeff-bridges-bowls-the-first-pitch-at-dodger-stadium/?cid=as_mlb_20140802_28978296

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

If anyone hasn't listened to Jonah Keri's podcast with Pedro and has an hour to spare, it's pretty great. Pedro owns.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The Cubs are determined to inflict more terrible baseball on a horrified nation by refusing to finish their games in nine cringe-inducing innings. Anyone know what the record is for most total innings played by a team over the course of a season? I'm sure they're nowhere close to that pace, but I got curious and am having trouble figuring out how to look that up and now I want to see if a team has played the equivalent of 166-7 games through extras, resumed games after rain delays, etc.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

OctoberBlues posted:

I believe that the Diamondbacks broke the record last year for most extra innings played in a season, and they played 81 extra innings. That doesn't completely cover your question, but it doesn't look like they had any games shortened by rain or cancelled, so they played at least 81 extra...

Cool, thanks. So they played basically 171 baseball games. No wonder they're so ornery.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Chris Coghlan kind of owns. Only 225 PAs and probably getting a BABIP boost, but he's hitting .286/.359/.452 and is dangerously approaching competence. The biggest mystery is why literally any outfielder in the system isn't getting a chance over Junior Lake who has yet to show he can hit in the majors.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Kirk Gibson is going to hit Clint Hurdle with a chair in the players' parking lot.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

N: The Chicago Cubs have won two (2) series in a row after trading many of their remaining functioning major league baseball players.

V: Viva terrible baseball

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Hurdle is going to find Kirk Gibson's hook hand hanging off his car door.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I hate every team in baseball equally but especially the cardinals but especially especially the cubs

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

hold onto your butts

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

MourningView posted:

If I were a bigger cards fan I think I'd be really pissed about that amazing 04 team becoming a footnote to the Red Sox breaking ~*The Curse*~

The White Sox had a longer drought of not winning the World Series than Boston, one of the greatest collective pitching performances in postseason history, a batshit lunatic manager, and they ACTUALLY WON THE loving WORLD SERIES, and no one outside of South Siders and baseball nerds seems to give an iota of a poo poo about them.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Ken Burns's History of 21st Century Baseball:

2003, the heartbreaking year when the long-suffering Boston Red Sox, who didn't win the World Series all of those times they made it giving them the cruel and impossible [3rd] longest championship drought in baseball didn't get a chance to lose another World Series, and long-suffering Cubs fans, whose lovely team never makes the World Series, saw their lovely team fail to make the World Series and beat up some nerd.

2004: The Red Sox gloriously win the World Series against the hated Yankees in the greatest playoff series of all time that didn't involve Jackie Robinson or Yankees games with Mickey Mantle attended by Billy Crystal. The world rejoiced as the [3rd] longest world series drought in baseball came to an end.

2005: Some bullshit happened, I guess?

2006- WE'RE NOT FINISHED TALKING ABOUT ROIDS

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Aug 5, 2014

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

What on earth is going on with the White Sox?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Baez dingered today.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

peep this flip, people
https://vine.co/v/M9QAgM1OJju

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Every image of Joba is so arresting. Good grief, he must train in the offseason by fighting railroad bulls.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Cubs DFA'd Schierholtz and activated Fujikawa because Schierholtz is no longer capable of playing major league baseball. Junior Lake, however, still roams amongst us.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Aww but Schierholtz was hella cool.

Only on the Cubs would a guy hitting .192/.240/.300 amass 341 plate appearances.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

If anyone was going to be hired to manage a baseball team with no experience, it should have been the late James Gammon.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

This is a pretty out there opinion, but I think this Baez kid is kind of cool.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

You're getting one of those sweet Sutcliffe First Night Game bobbleheads? The only thing that would make me more jealous would be if you were going on Classic '80s Rock Night and getting Cubs zubaz.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Wrigley Field Straight Cash Homey Report

1. 3 people sitting together in Marmol shirtseys
2. A Nomar jersey
3. Javy Baez jerseys
4. Josh Vitters shirtsey (I didn't know you could even buy those!)
5. The greatest of them all: A #29 shirtsey with "Crime Dog" on the back, which I want to own immediately

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I can't find a picture yet, but it's Lou Piniella Mariners Hall of Fame Night and they have a giant LOU sculpted into the infield dirt. Lou owns.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Groucho Marxist posted:

That's a fine deal for the Royals good job Dayton you made a good trade

This poo poo is going to keep evolving and in 2050 people will be talking about Greg Maddux's 75 mph fastball

Jamie Moyer pitched underhanded.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Old Maddux was awesome, he was built like a feed salesman and hit a dinger once.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Pretty excited that the Cubs are going to start winning because of a magical statistic called FIP, according to Rany. They are just going to FIP the poo poo out of other teams, gonna FIP their way to the promised land.

xFIP

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The only Chicago baseball team worth following in August is Jackie Robinson West.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Paul Zuvella posted:

EXCUSE me. It's REVVED up like a DEUCE.

God.

cut loose

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Harlock posted:

Shin Soo Choo's OBP has taken a massive nosedive.

Is he still letting himself get battered by baseballs to get on base? Because that's what Dorn would do.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The Cubs finally traded Future Superstar Brett Jackson to Arizona for Blake Cooper. Jackson appears to have the heart, grit, and complete lack of baseball skill desired by the DBacks organization. Jackson reacted to the news the only way he knew how: by striking out furiously. The trade will be official after Jackson passes a Diamondbacks test where he stands in a batting cage and gets hit with baseballs.

Josh Vitters's whereabouts are currently unknown.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Dayton Moore was Right.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

:lol: if you don't think Taveras is going to be better than every single one of the Cubs' hotshot prospects because that is just How Baseball Works.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Theo Epstein literally offered a job in the Cubs' front office to Rany.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Offering that dude a job has eroded a lot of my faith in the Cubs brain-trust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Pumpkin McPastry posted:

The Cubs hype is getting out of control. Javier Baez is currently on a trajectory to be Mark Reynolds 2.0 and even if there's a 75+% success rate on their ballyhooed hitting prospects I'm not exactly thrilled with a plan for half of the game i.e. run prevention being "TBD." If they miss on Scherzer what...they get James Shields aging into his mid 30s? Maybe Lester? What if Arrieta turns back into a pumpkin?

They have some awesome assets, and Bryant looks like a monster, and Rizzo has developed better than I had thought. Just not seeing this Cubs Juggernaut thing as much as others are.

Man, it's all we've got.

• Locked thread