Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Nodoze posted:

Buy none of those

I would have no problem driving any car in that list except maybe the Honda and the xB because they're ugly.
The Matrix is especially great, my Vibe has done much more than I'd ever expect a Corolla-based car to do. I've loaded it with multiple engines/trannies, my work toolbox (single-bay Beach, loaded with tools), 4 22.5" truck tires (at a time for 4 trips), used it as a camper, autocrossed it, been rear-ended with it a bunch of times, and driven it like a pissed-off teenager for 5 years.
I had to do brakes and shocks one time and I change the oil once in a while too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I'd be afraid of falling asleep at the wheel with any of those.

Just reading the list makes me sleepy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Powershift posted:

I'd be afraid of falling asleep at the wheel with any of those.

Just reading the list makes me sleepy.

Not for me, it's for her. I doubt I'll ever drive whatever we buy.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Holy crap did she drive a lot of cars today.

2010 Scion xB 50K miles.
2009 Scion xA 47K miles.
2007 Toyota Matrix 49K miles.
2011 Honda Civic 56K miles. (yuck)
2011 Ford Fiesta 39K miles.
2010 Corolla 69K miles.

She really seemed to like the xB the best. The dealer wants to move the car, price would be pretty close to $12K. Is this a terrible idea?

12k for a 4-5 year old econobox with 50k miles seems ridiculous.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

angryhampster posted:

I posted a link earlier to a recent NYT article -- used cars prices are artificially inflated right now because banks are sub-prime lending again, this time with car loans.

If you're shopping for used cars right now, buckle up, they're crazy.

I just sold my wife's old 2007 Rav4 -- V6/FWD/Limited/73k miles for almost 15k. That's loving nuts. I bought it for less than 16k 2.5 years and 25k miles ago.

Edit: Here's the story again: http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/07/19/in-a-subprime-bubble-for-used-cars-unfit-borrowers-pay-sky-high-rates

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Aug 5, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

angryhampster posted:

Not really. Not compared to the local market. And nobody tell me to buy a car out of state, that is not in the cards for this purchase as I have explained before. I'm still pushing for the 2012 Fiesta. $12.5K, 33K miles.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Banks never loving learn. And as long as they're allowed to be too big to fail, they'll just get sweet sweet tax dollars when they go belly up.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Holy crap did she drive a lot of cars today.

2010 Scion xB 50K miles.
2009 Scion xA 47K miles.
2007 Toyota Matrix 49K miles.
2011 Honda Civic 56K miles. (yuck)
2011 Ford Fiesta 39K miles.
2010 Corolla 69K miles.

She really seemed to like the xB the best. The dealer wants to move the car, price would be pretty close to $12K. Is this a terrible idea?

You can't fool me; these are all the same car.

OK, not quite, but close...how do manufacturers distinguish their own shade of beige from everyone else's?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I don't think the Fiestas are very reliable but you should do some research on it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

blk posted:

You can't fool me; these are all the same car.

OK, not quite, but close...how do manufacturers distinguish their own shade of beige from everyone else's?

With swooshy body panels and hip interior lighting. Seriously, what the gently caress is up with the cupholder lights in the xD?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Rhyno posted:

Better suggestions?

Mazda 3

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
How about a Subaru :v:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno posted:

Better suggestions?

Have you considered a Miata?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nothing within in the price range we want to stay in. I've looked. Every one is either too high mileage or CPO and overpriced.

meatpimp posted:

Have you considered a Miata?

Of course I did. I am not a fool good sir.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Rhyno posted:

Nothing within in the price range we want to stay in. I've looked. Every one is either too high mileage or CPO and overpriced.

Of course I did. I am not a fool good sir.

What about a heavily modified 2006 Charger or a V6 2007 Mustang? :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

HotCanadianChick posted:

What about a heavily modified 2006 Charger or a V6 2007 Mustang? :v:

Oh poo poo, those sound awesome!

blk
Dec 19, 2009
7th gen Civic Si? You know, the one with the hatch?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

blk posted:

7th gen Civic Si? You know, the one with the hatch?

She sat in a Civic coupe. She wasn't impressed. She want's a sedan for passenger utility.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
You can get a nice 92x for less than 12 grand.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

blk posted:

You can get a nice 92x for less than 12 grand.

There's a single one with 192K miles over 100 miles away from me.

Also I am not Viggen.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I don't think he'd drive a 92x, it's too easy/not a real Saab.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Here's one in LA for $6900, though it is an auto: http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/pts/4560301912.html

blk
Dec 19, 2009

keykey posted:

Here's one in LA for $6900, though it is an auto: http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/pts/4560301912.html

Probably not a clean title at that price, but who knows.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Did I miss anything in the last 5 pages other than beige car talk?

Here's how you check to see if you bent the tie rod back to straight enough. Dad got a little sideways in a corner and got hit. We pulled the wheel, bent it back (with a jack and big hammer) then sent him back out to finish the race...time in pit under 3 minutes.

Maybe one of you guys would know. We're looking for a way to see how much fuel we've burned more accurately than using the low fuel light in our car. A basic flow meter won't work because it constantly circulates fuel through the fuel rail and dumps excess.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Aug 5, 2014

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Woohoo four new shirts from blipshift's sale that just started, plus a six speed stress ball.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

CharlesM posted:

I don't think the Fiestas are very reliable but you should do some research on it.

I did some quick looking and it sounds like the biggest thing is the DCT, maybe some other stuff I can share if you are interested.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

She sat in a Civic coupe. She wasn't impressed. She want's a sedan for passenger utility.

Maybe it's time to look at a fiery death GMs!!! An HHR is basically an xB that you can't see poo poo out of anyway.

PRICES ARE CRASHING!!
http://jalopnik.com/prices-plummet-on-gm-cars-recalled-for-ignition-defect-1615894690

IT'S A FIRE SALE!!!

DON'T WEAR YOUR SEATBELT AND DRIVE DRUNK TO YOUR NEAREST USED GM CAR DEALERSHIP!!!

No but seriously I know where I'm going for a semi-modern FWD car when rallycross comes back. I wonder if it's dented the resale for Cobalt SSes and Ion Redlines.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Aug 5, 2014

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 257 days!)

On the last season, nearly the last episode of OZ. I guess the whole point of the series is just this: Gingers have no soul.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Maybe it's time to look at a fiery death GMs!!! An HHR is basically an xB that you can't see poo poo out of anyway.

PRICES ARE CRASHING!!
http://jalopnik.com/prices-plummet-on-gm-cars-recalled-for-ignition-defect-1615894690

IT'S A FIRE SALE!!!

DON'T WEAR YOUR SEATBELT AND DRIVE DRUNK TO YOUR NEAREST USED GM CAR DEALERSHIP!!!

No but seriously I know where I'm going for a semi-modern FWD car when rallycross comes back. I wonder if it's dented the resale for Cobalt SSes and Ion Redlines.

In all honesty, I'd really like to try out an HHR SS. I don't ever want to be seen in one, but I am curious enough to want to drive one.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

blk posted:

I've only driven in Virgina once and had no idea. Never doing it again if I can help it:

http://jalopnik.com/never-speed-in-virginia-lessons-from-my-three-days-in-1613604053

Yeah I was basically trained to think of 5 over as the limit of sanity, except in the People's Republic of Falls Church in which anything over two below the limit is insane. Now I start going nuts anytime I'm stuck at anything less than ten over.

Here's another one. Parking ticket in a minute, you say? I may have been gone for about 20 minutes while I was busy paying a parking ticket, during which time I of course got another parking ticket. While paying the last one I got. That one I just took inside the office and said something more polite than "dude, seriously?" and they dismissed it. Protip: Don't get a parking ticket in Arlington.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Aug 5, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

blk posted:

In all honesty, I'd really like to try out an HHR SS. I don't ever want to be seen in one, but I am curious enough to want to drive one.

I drove a panel van HHR SS once. It was pretty nice, except the lack of rear windows made it feel extremely coffin-y.

Torque steer out the wazoo, but I got the impression that after a few months I'd have it bang on. Surprisingly nice shifter considering it was the same trans (Getrag F23) from my old Cavalier.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I drove a panel van HHR SS once. It was pretty nice, except the lack of rear windows made it feel extremely coffin-y.

Torque steer out the wazoo, but I got the impression that after a few months I'd have it bang on. Surprisingly nice shifter considering it was the same trans (Getrag F23) from my old Cavalier.

I believe the term you're looking for is rolling sarcophagus.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

CharlesM posted:

I did some quick looking and it sounds like the biggest thing is the DCT, maybe some other stuff I can share if you are interested.

I drive a 2012 Focus with the "Powershift" DCT for work and while it has 75K hard stop-and-go city miles on it I don't mind the transmission at all.

It feels completely different from a traditional torque converter automatic (especially at low speeds) and I'm sure that's where 99% of the complains come from. Occasionally you can feel the clutch engaging/disengaging and doing work. Once you get used to how the car drives it's not a big deal.

Having actual engine braking is nice, too. My work car is a base Focus but higher option packages have sport shift which let you select gears on the fly with rev matching.

Honestly the 2012 Focus is so much more solid feeling than the the 2011 Matrix I was driving previously I am really considering a Fiesta or Focus for my next car.

Previa_fun fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Aug 5, 2014

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

iwentdoodie posted:

Woohoo four new shirts from blipshift's sale that just started, plus a six speed stress ball.

I was excited about the sale only to be disappointed in the selection. I haven't bought a blipshift shirt before and thought there would be a couple that I would be able to choose. Turns out I was wrong. The only one remotely interesting was the monster truck one.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Previa_fun posted:

Honestly the 2012 Focus is so much more solid feeling than the the 2011 Matrix I was driving previously I am really considering a Fiesta or Focus for my next car.

That's what some of us have been trying to tell Rhyno: the current small Fords and Mazdas are so much better than the last 5-6 years of totally phoned-in Toyotas and Hondas that it's no contest. And I say that as someone who's owned a total of five Toyotas and one Honda and have never owned a Ford or Mazda in my life.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

HotCanadianChick posted:

That's what some of us have been trying to tell Rhyno: the current small Fords and Mazdas are so much better than the last 5-6 years of totally phoned-in Toyotas and Hondas that it's no contest. And I say that as someone who's owned a total of five Toyotas and one Honda and have never owned a Ford or Mazda in my life.

If this was my car I'd already be rolling in a Fiesta ST.

That said I am pushing for the Fiesta we drove.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tommychu posted:

Actually, no. I didn't.
People rat-rod Jeeps sometimes. Landies are fairly close in concept to Jeeps, and certainly the closest (non-obscure) thing to a Jeep I can think of that comes from Europe (other than the G-class Merc but those are in a bit of a different class IMO). I'm saying the proposed idea would be a Euro version of the concept of a rat-rod Jeep. Which has very little in common other than the tub itself with a proper Jeep.
You don't call Landies Jeeps. It's just not done, darling.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Welp, uncle had a quadruple bypass today. They had to go digging into both legs to get enough veins to complete the surgery. He was swearing up and down he'd be out by tomorrow; preeeeetty sure he'll be thinking differently when he wakes up.

This lit a fire under my rear end to get some weight off even more than the doctor, the diabetus, and my ugly rear end bloodwork.

He still tried to turn down the surgery. :downsgun:

meatpimp posted:

Then you get a few years down the road and recognize that you want to be alive for your kids... and you start changing your ways. It's amazing how some of the high-fat stuff starts to look repulsive when you get it out of your system/routine. And then you want to get rid of the gut and find out that it can be a loving bitch to get rid of. And then you put in the work.

Speaking of... it's now been 2 1/2 months since I was diagnosed with the beetus. Blood pressure that day at the dr's office was 160/100ish, blood sugar was 260.

I haven't lost any weight, but my blood pressure is consistently under or at 120/80 now (last check was 118/70), and resting pulse has gone from 110 to mid 70s (still a long way to go there). Blood sugar is way down (still a bit high, but generally in the mid-high 100s instead of high 200s+ - I got as low as 104 a few days ago), and I've taken up walking/jogging.

Actually my weight has gone up - I've put on 5 pounds in the past 2 weeks (sitting at 180, my goal is 155 - peak was 230). :stare: I think more because my appetite has skyrocketed since I ditched the booze, but at least I'm trying to eat healthy. Still drinking soft drinks, but they're the "manly 10 calorie" versions of 7-Up and Dr. Pepper. They're not quite as offensive as the full on diet versions.

And yeah the gut is a bitch. I'm down to 4 months pregnant instead of 9, at least.

I still eat out entirely too much (mostly just because I don't like to cook), still even tacos, but it's a taco like this now:

quote:

#12 BLACK BEAN TACO Vegetarian
Chipotle black beans topped with pico de gallo, cotija cheese, cilantro and toasted pumpkin seeds.

It's goddamned delicious. Especially with habanero sauce, and it's only $2. One of them with some water is a good lunch for me. 2 is a good dinner. They have a couple of other vegetarian ones, but they don't appeal to me as much.

I've chilled way out on meat in general - when I do eat it, it's generally chicken or turkey.

The SS actually got the F35, just like the Cobalt SS (the non-2.4 SS) and Ion Red Line. The F23 isn't rated anywhere near the power that the LNF cranks out.

The F23 still has the "rowing through gravel" feeling in the newer cars as your Cavalier had.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Aug 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Just watched the Falcon 9 launch in my backyard; one of the very few times I unironically love living in Florida. Clear skies all the way to the Cape, and the exhaust plume stood out bright as hell against the night sky.

ROCKETS YO

• Locked thread