Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Spiritus Nox posted:

Seems perfectly doable. ISU and especially TCU aren't exactly pushovers at home, but I need to see a great deal of improvement from them or regression from you all before I pick losses there. Texas is the next most likely win, and I'll take Tech in that game in a heartbeat if anything happens to Ash again. And upsetting OU or BU wouldn't be hugely shocking either, especially if either team has trouble staying healthy.

Oh, I was talking about 3 of the last 5 predictions. I mean, I know what I think my team's gonna do, but I'm interested in what other people think they're going to do to my team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
From the outside looking in it seems like Tech is in a position where everyone will think about picking against them other than KU. You're writing up your predictions and if you're a homer they're an automatic win because, well if you're good you beat what you think Tech will be this year. If you're pessimistic but not super pessimistic they're sitting there as an option when you might be looking to find a non-obvious win somewhere.

I agree that it's kind of interesting but I see where it's coming from, and obviously it probably won't reflect reality.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

kayakyakr posted:

Oh, I was talking about 3 of the last 5 predictions. I mean, I know what I think my team's gonna do, but I'm interested in what other people think they're going to do to my team.

Oh. I'm smart. :downs:

Grittybeard posted:

From the outside looking in it seems like Tech is in a position where everyone will think about picking against them other than KU. You're writing up your predictions and if you're a homer they're an automatic win because, well if you're good you beat what you think Tech will be this year. If you're pessimistic but not super pessimistic they're sitting there as an option when you might be looking to find a non-obvious win somewhere.

I agree that it's kind of interesting but I see where it's coming from, and obviously it probably won't reflect reality.

To be expected, I'd think. I mean, most projections I've seen have them middle of the pack in the big 12 in kind of the "exciting but potentially fatally flawed team" sort of role. Only natural that the presumed good teams expect to beat you and the optimistic bad teams' fans hope to upset you when you're in that space.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

kayakyakr posted:

So far the consensus prediction for TTU by our opponents:

Arkansas - No prediction

TTU gonna beat Arkansas like a rented mule.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

Spiritus Nox posted:

Oh. I'm smart. :downs:

To be expected, I'd think. I mean, most projections I've seen have them middle of the pack in the big 12 in kind of the "exciting but potentially fatally flawed team" sort of role. Only natural that the presumed good teams expect to beat you and the optimistic bad teams' fans hope to upset you when you're in that space.

Its more that I think nobody knows what to make out of Tech. Depending on who we are talking about, I've seen predictions of as few as 4 to as many as "wins the big XII"

Fenrir posted:

TTU gonna beat Arkansas like a rented mule.

According to various Arkansas fan blogs and forums, Arkansas (and UCA) Beats Tech down no contest.

Reasons include but are not limited to:

1) That one game were they beat Tech back in the days of the SWC (1991 i think?), so badly that apparently it's ingrained in our bones to lose.
2) Similarly, Tech players will find out about Tech's record against Arkansas from the SWC and this will matter to them enough to cause them to become demoralized.
3) Kliff can't coach his way out of a paper bag as he lost 5!!!! games *ignores Arkansas's record that year*
4) SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC
5) Central Arkansas will win because their coach has more all time wins than Kingsbury does.

Though to be fair these same guys are predicting they get 8 wins, at least, I mean that is the absolute floor... in fact 9 wins is more likely because Alabama is going to be still butt hurt over losing to OU and that means their players will be soft.

Edit: We are talking levels of delusion that would make an Aggie blush and call bullshit.

Numlock fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Aug 12, 2014

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Numlock posted:

Its more that I think nobody knows what to make out of Tech. Depending on who we are talking about, I've seen predictions of as few as 4 to as many as "wins the big XII"

I'm calling 6-7 wins until I see more. Defense still has quite a bit to prove - you all brought in a good number of JUCOs on D, right? Or am I thinking of O-Line? Also want to see for myself how they adjust to life without Amaro - seems to me like he brought a unique element to Tech's offense that helped stop them from being totally one-dimensional even when they weren't running the ball well, and I don't think that's the sort of thing that can necessarily be accounted for just by asking Webb and Marquez or whoever to elevate their game.

Wouldn't shock me to see them do significantly better and get into title contention, if the D can get saltier - seems like a reasonably favorable schedule with OU and Texas coming to Lubbock, though going to Amon Carter could be dangerous. I'd be surprised if they do worse than 5-7.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
I am laughing at the lone TCU fan saying they were the best 4-8 team in the NCAA.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I am laughing at the lone TCU fan saying they were the best 4-8 team in the NCAA.

We lost to OU, Baylor, WVU, and KState by a combined 11 points. It was pretty grueling. :v:

Edit: yeah, I know how stupid that distinction sounds, and hearing peers wear that like a badge of pride last year was pretty groan-inducing.

Chieves fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Aug 12, 2014

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Reminds me of my roommate in college telling his parents he had a 'solid c' in a class.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
YOUR DEFENDING C-USA CHAMPION RICE OWLS

Last season: 10-4. Took advantage of a lot of returning starters and a dumpster fire of a conference to win their first outright conference title in 56 years, then got obliterated in the Liberty Bowl by Dak Prescott and Mississippi State. Along the way, had a hilarious game at A&M where everyone discovered that A&M actually didn't have a run defense and where apparently the Rice defense trolled Johnny Manziel into an unsportsmanlike conduct. Small victories.

Offense: Loses 4-year starter QB Taylor McHargue, although his backup Driphus Jackson is probably about as good (a bit better passer, a bit worse of a scrambler, kind of an injury risk, better name). Also loses RB Charles Ross, but he was the chair of a 3-4 running back committee, so while he had a great season there's plenty of people left to replace him. Offensive line is sort of a question mark, apparently. I don't foresee this being much different from previous years; it's not stellar but it's good enough.

Defense: Was never that good to start with, and with CB Phillip Gaines (3rd round pick by KC) gone, our pass defense will be even more porous than before.

Schedule: C-USA is still a dumpster fire. Marshall is probably the class of the conference, and UTSA is going to be pretty decent. Last year was the only time Rice fans were allowed to be optimistic about their predictions, so I'll just say we drop both those games and, as much as I'd love to beat either of them, our first two OOC games.

Aug. 30 at Notre Dame - L - Rice gets smashed on national television!
Sept. 13 at Texas A&M - L - Rice gets smashed on national television by some sort of hilariously high score like 62-28.
Sept. 20 Old Dominion - W - FBS transition school. I should hope we can beat them.
Sept. 27 at Southern Miss - W - C-USA is a Dumpster Fire, part 1.
Oct. 4 Hawaii - W - For some reason I still think of Hawaii as decent based on the June Jones days.
Oct. 11 at Army - W - I don't know why Rice plays so many service academies, but I don't really mind.
Oct. 25 North Texas - Toss-up - North Texas lost a lot last year, but at this point we're basically the same caliber of program.
Nov. 1 at FIU - W - C-USA is a Dumpster Fire, part 2.
Nov. 8 Texas-San Antonio (Homecoming) - L - Might decide the West title. UTSA returns 19 starters and almost had the division title last year.
Nov. 15 at Marshall - L - Not unless something really special happens. Marshall has a legitimate shot to run the table this year.
Nov. 21 UTEP - W - C-USA is a Dumpster Fire, part 3. This one's a Friday night game, so there's a chance that we come out flat like we did on our two Thursday games last year.
Nov. 29 at Louisiana Tech - W - but could be closer than it needs to be.

Best case: 10-2, beat Marshall again in the C-USA championship, become sad that the C-USA champion doesn't go to the Liberty Bowl again, beat whatever dumb team we play in whatever dumb bowl. For some reason the Big XII decides to invite us to join during the next round of conference realignment.
Expected case: 8-4; pick one win out of UNT/UTSA/Marshall. Probably get shuffled off to the Hawaii Bowl because we haven't had the privilege of losing a bunch of money on ticket allotments for it yet.
Worst case: 5-7; lose to one of the teams labeled as Dumpster Fire because clearly we're part of that dumpster fire. Everyone loses interest in Rice football and the program is plunged into a thousand years of darkness again.

DUNCAN DONUTS
Mar 27, 2010

by XyloJW

TheGreyGhost posted:

The Ohio State Buckeyes

2013 Final ranking: 12
2014 Preseason ranking: 6

Key losses: RB Carlos "El Guapo" Hyde. 4/5 of the best O-line in football. CB Bradley Roby (mediocre last year). LB Ryan Shazier, WR Philly Brown

Offense:
QB: Braxton Miller returns for his senior season in the best condition he's been in since his freshman year. He's coming off of shoulder surgery that really could have been done halfway through last season. He's arguably the most electric runner in college football this year, and he's likely going to leave as one of the top 3 Buckeye QBs in history. Cardale Jones has been named the backup. He's a power runner with a cannon arm who is famous for not being into book learning. JT Barrett and Stephen Collier sit behind him. Depth is concerning--since Jones has had minimal snaps.

RB: Ezekiel Elliot is the likely starter. He's a home run threat every carry inside or out and a great receiver--not the best blocker though. Brionte Dunn or Rod Smith will be the likely power back, with Dunn having the edge since Rod Smith is a factory of disappointment. Curtis Samuel had Urban gushing, and he's a hybrid scatback, similar to Dontre Wilson last year. Warren Ball is likely the odd man out. Really good depth, but not as absurd as last year.

WR: The best unit since the Holmes/Ginn/Gonzo/Robiskie/Hartline crew. Devin Smith is an incumbent starter, and he's a scary deep threat who can burn teams over the top consistently--needs work on shorter routes. Dontre Wilson will start as well, after spending last year at RB. He's according to the coaches, the best receiver on the roster at present, and having other threats on the team should let him breakout this season. The third receiver is likely either Corey Smith or Evan Spencer, with Smith taking the lead in spring. Past the top 4, Jalin Marshall has looked great but is injury prone, and Mike Thomas keeps running for the "Taurian Washington" award for guy who looks great every spring then never does anything. Top to bottom, the depth here is the best on the offense.

TE: Jeff Heurman looked like and Urban Meyer TE last year and should be a consistent, if undersized, threat across the middle. Nick Vannett apparently looked like the 1b to his 1a in the spring. Marcus Baugh is perpetually in the doghouse for dumb poo poo, and JT Moore converted for depth. Noah Brown and Jeff Greene are flex receivers who will line up between here and WR, with Greene likely playing and Brown a potential redshirt.

O-Line: Last year's best unit in OSU history is gone. Taylor Decker returns, likely at LT this year. Chad Lindsey transferred in from Alabama and looks like he can start at C right away but Jacoby Boren is challenging. Guards are likely Antonio Underwood and Pat Elfein who got a decent amount of time last year. One of Kyle Dodson or Daryll Baldwin will be at RT. If they gel, this will be a good group. They just need reps early.

D-Line: Noah Spence is a potential first rounder at Rush End/Viper. Joey Bosa looked like a future top-10 pick as a freshman and will hold down the SSDE spot, likely mauling a lot of the Big 10 this year. Adolphus Washington moves full time to DT and is overqualified athletically for it. He's going to be a huge pain for any guard or C 1 on 1. Michael Bennett will likely be picked in the first two rounds after this year, and he's one of the best pass-rushing DTs in the nation as well. The main backups are Tyquan Lewis at DE and Tommy Schutt at DT. Lewis is a freak pass rusher, Schutt is more of a clogger in the middle. Steve Miller and Rashad Frazier also will rotate at DE, and Michael Hill will see snaps at DT as well. As a whole, there will be way more rotation, so 8-10 guys will play per game here with how Larry Johnson runs it.

LBs: The best group Urban has had depth wise. Josh Perry is the only guaranteed started. Darron Lee and Chris Worley are fighting for the new SLB spot which is actually the smaller LB meant to cover TEs rather than the past concept of sticking a big LB or MLB on one. We will see how this plays out. MLB has incumbent Curtis Grant, but he's already being pushed by 5* freshman Raekwon McMillan who drawing Katzenmoyer comparisons based on how skilled he already is. Trey Johnson will back up Perry with noted bad football player Cam Williams hopefully not playing anywhere this year so that I don't have to watch him casually lumber towards RBs anymore.

DBs: Isolating corners and safeties is difficult this year because there's going to be overlap with guys playing both. Vonn Bell, Tyvis Powell, and Cam Burrows are the candidates for starting at S with the first two having an edge. Loser gets the Nickel Corner spot likely. Starting corners are Doran Grant for sure and one of Gareon Conley or Armani Reeves. Hopefully Conley, since Reeves is famous for getting burned by Iowa's slow white TE on a vertical route last year. Eli Apple looks like a potential dime back for the year who could work up to a boundary corner by the end of the year. Erick Smith at safety looks like a potential candidate for early playing time. The cover 4 system Chris Ash is installing involves actual concepts like pressing and not giving 15 yard cushions to receivers like Sammy Watkins who will burn you with that kind of space. Looks drastically improved schematically already.

K/P Sean Nuerenberger comes in very highly rated with a cannon leg. We always have good punters. Like there's 2 guys who could punt anywhere in the nation. OSU never worries about that poo poo.

Schedule:

at Navy: W, we won't lose to a triple option team with this kind of time to prepare

VT W, this will be ugly and will make me drink. On the other hand, we're deep enough to break this open late. Unless their offense is way better than expected, we don't lose this

Cincinnati W, this is a trap game of the highest order, but I don't think their defense can hold us for long enough. Also, they have a QB controversy, which always bodes well at the start of the season.

at Maryland W, bahahahaha, welcome to the Big 10, it won't be this bad every week we promise

Rutgers W See, Maryland, University of

Illinois W, Tim Beckman can't even beat his fake rivals

at Sparty Toss up, Depends how well Sparty reloads. This is a nailbiter, but I feel like our defensive changes give us a slight edge here.

at Minnesota W, can't remember the last time we played them. Don't care. We won't lose to Jerry loving Kill.

Indiana W, trap game. We don't play teams that focus on offense and don't play defense well. This will be high scoring and nerve wracking the whole way, unless the new coverage system is as advertised.

Michigan W, We won't be losing to Hoke in the Shoe again. They don't have enough out wide to keep us honest this year.

Big 10 Championship game: No one from the west is winning this. Wisconsin is good, but I will never be afraid of Joel Stave or their slow rear end defense. Nebraska would be awesome just because I enjoy watching Bo Pelini lose his mind when his QBs throw 2-3 picks a game

Best case: We put it together in Urban year 3. Braxton is heisman-caliber and healthy. The new coverage system gives us the top 20 pass defense we're capable of. The D-line is as advertised. We make the playoff and beat the two best teams we will play all year to win Urban's first national title. 14-0

Worst case: Braxton goes down. Cardale Jones has growing pains. The O-line never gels. Coverage system stays bad. LBs look slow and confused. Still better than like 3/4 of the Big 10. Gator Bowl/Capital One bowl. 8-5/9-4

Likely Scenario; Best team Urban has had against a mediocre schedule. Pass defense improves to top 50. Pass rush remains deadly. We have Braxton for the big games but he misses 1 or 2 to an ankle or something because it's what he does. We get revenge on sparty and win the regular season, barely make it into the playoff. Lose in either round of the playoff, which still indicates significant improvement. 12-1/13-1

Might be time to update this...

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

DUNCAN DONUTS posted:

Might be time to update this...

Well, here's the updates I'll offer.

- QB: Obviously with Braxton out, JT Barrett is now the guy. He's a way more accurate passer who thrives from the short-intermediate passes that Urban used more for the Florida offense than now, so the passing game will likely shift more towards that. He can run too, albeit not at Braxton's caliber. Biggest concern is his arm strength on the deep ball, but we can adjust the offense for that. This isn't like 3 years ago when Braxton was a freshman. We have the best set of skill players at OSU in close to a decade, and the offense is still going to put up some absurd numbers. Also, Barrett has literally been taking first-team snaps since spring, and he's been in the program for a year now. He has over 300 snaps taken before the injury even happened. We were winning games last year with Kenny Guiton having a small fraction of that and even less physical ability than JT.

- RB: Elliot got wrist surgery, but he'll be ready for Navy as the likely starter. Rod Smith will be the power guy. Samuel and Dunn are splitting the RB3 carries. This unit probably sees more carries in general now since Barrett is a pass first dual threat..

- WR: Mike Thomas passed Evan Spencer at Split End, but both will play a lot. Devin and Dontre at flanker and pivot respectively with Corey Smith and Jalin Marshall as their backups. Realistically 10 guys could be seeing the field a game here.

- Oline: Decker, Hale/Price, Boren/Lindsay, Elfein, Baldwin. LG and C will probably rotate the most on the line, but Hale and Boren are the probably starters.

- Dline: Steve Miller and Rashad Frazier will be covering for Spence's suspension. Jalyn Holmes will likely be in on passing downs though. Tommy Schutt worked his way up to DT3 and will rotate in heavily.

- LB: Lee, Grant, Perry as expected. Worley and McMillan to play a lot though.

- CB: Grant remains bonafide CB1. Conley and Apple look like the probable guys at CB2. Armani Reeves at Nickel. Lattimore just had surgery, so no idea when he's back. Damon Webb competing for playing time in his place.

- S: Powell and Bell are starting. Burrows will be the first backup for both and probably play some nickel too. Erick Smith looked really good in run support though, so he could see a lot of time too.

Schedule:

at Navy: W, Our front 7 is too good to lose this game.

VT: Toss-up/Lean W, I'm still not conceding a win in the shoe happening here. We're way deeper, and frankly we weren't winning this game on Braxton's arm. We have too much in the front 7 for Beamer ball to work, and the press coverage should give the pass rush the time it needs to be effective. Running game wears down VT front 7. Short-Intermediate passing game prevents turnovers and keeps VT out of range.

Cincinnati: W, Still a trap game, but Gunner Kiel or not, they have 1 receiver I'm actually scared of (who I actually was juked out by repeatedly in high school weirdly enough). Again, the depth gets us a win, even though this is probably pretty ugly and hard to watch like VT.

at Maryland: W, Welcome to the Big 10 bitch.

Rutgers: W, In which JT Barrett accumulates the yardage necessary to be the Big 10 freshman of the year while the RBs have a competition over who can juke Rutgers' lovely defense the hardest.

Illinois: W, Tim Beckman is still a sad sad man.

at Sparty: Toss-up, Really, until I see MSU has in fact reloaded on defense instead of just had 1 good year, I still don't think think we lose this, but I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt for the moment since Narduzzi is a loving wizard. I do think the reps JT gets from VT help a lot here and give him some needed experience against a good secondary, but I'm mostly concerned about the O-line holding up here.

at Minnesota: W, No depth or speed on defense for Minnesota seems bad to me.

Indiana: W, I can see the offense dropping 70 here just because Urban really really did not enjoy how close this was last time.

Michigan: W, if this were in Ann Arbor, I might call it a toss-up. True frosh LT with a bunch of guys who were the world line in football last year against the best pass rush in football? Maybe they get a bit better, but that's a tall order on the road with the level of noise this game will have. Funchess and Butt aren't enough to keep us from stacking 8 guys in the box and making this a long day.

Potential Big 10 Championship: W, the west sucks this year.

Best Case: 12-1, 13-1 with Barrett living up to his ranking and stepping up as the next hot new redshirt freshmen that keep popping up (see, Winston, Mariota, Manziel, etc) and the defense stepping up only to get curbstomped by one of FSU/Whoever wins the Pac-12 or SEC in the semis or final.

Worst Case: 10-3 with Barrett and Jones battling over QB all year and a surprise loss somewhere on top of losing both toss ups. Still good enough for like the Capital One or Alamo Bowl where we beat the living hell out of someone and create mass hype for next year.

Likely Case: 11-1 beating VT and losing to Sparty and falling short of the Big 10 championship game. This gets us into one of the BCS bowls under the purview of the committee but not the playoffs where we probably play like Clemson and try for revenge in a game where literally all of the points will be scored.

Really, I don't see why the sky is suddenly following because Braxton went down though. Barrett will never be the runner he is, but he doesn't have to be with the talent on offense, and his passing in all likelihood will be the same or potentially even better than Braxton by virtue of his accuracy. We were winning games with Kenny Guiton last year on a team that was inferior to this one by a good margin, and the offense still ran really loving well, and that's with a dude who didn't even have Barrett's tools.

TheGreyGhost fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Aug 27, 2014

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Michigan will win 11-12 games in the regular season, with Sparty being a toss-up, win the Big Ten East, win the Rose Bowl, then maybe win the national championship or so

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

gently caress ohio state but i would be goddamn stunned if they won less than 11 games in the regular season. Losing Braxton Miller changes absolutely nothing when you're playing a conference schedule that awful.

E: I mean it's not osu's fault that the b1g added two dogshit teams but jesus

DJExile fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Aug 27, 2014

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Are there any B1G teams that aren't looking at their schedule and going "No way we don't win ten games"?

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Mizzou is markedly worse this year but can probably pull out 8 wins because of the schedule

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

DJExile posted:

gently caress ohio state but i would be goddamn stunned if they won less than 11 games in the regular season. Losing Braxton Miller changes absolutely nothing when you're playing a conference schedule that awful.

E: I mean it's not osu's fault that the b1g added two dogshit teams but jesus

Right now besides Michigan State nothing else in the Big Ten is concerning me, of course that could change once we see the teams play. I'm more concerned with Navy, VT and Cincy.

E: Actually we play at Penn State so that's up there also.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Thoguh posted:

Are there any B1G teams that aren't looking at their schedule and going "No way we don't win ten games"?

Everyone who isn't OSU or Sparty.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DJExile posted:

Everyone who isn't OSU or Sparty.

I'd give Iowa better odds of it than MSU, but it's more or less entirely because of the schedule. The West is really bad, we play horrible East teams, and the non-con is pretty much a joke. It wouldn't be shocking or anything if they didn't, but they're likely going to be favored in every game until Wisconsin.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Your 2014 Marshall Thundering Herd

Coming off of a 10-4 season, CUSA East Champs (gently caress you Rice) and a Military Bowl win over Maryland- Marshall is poised to run the table, sneak a dark horse QB in for the Heisman, and make up for the last 10 years of agony here in Huntington.

Last year in review: Opened the season with scoring 110-14 against the first two teams. Then, heartbreaker loss at OhioU, and the next week - triple OT loss at VT in a monsoon. Won some more games and then a coach gently caress up at MTSU lost us the game. Ran the rest to finish at 9-3 and then got cheated out of hosting CUSA title game where we promptly fell apart in protest. Beat Maryland in the Military Bowl to finish the season that could have been, at 10-4.

Best case scenario: run the table 12-0. We've got the 3rd best chance to do so, after FSU and someone else. Rakeem Cato sneaks out of nowhere, finishes obliterating Chad Pennington's QB records and pulls in an Heisman after throwing for 4000+ yds and 30 TDs. Marshall fans state wide rejoice and tell WVU fans to gently caress off and burn down Morgantown. Every team that beat us last year (minus VT), we play at home- and we have a 10+ winning streak at home. I will burn every couch in town and dump the ashes on the porches of all WVU fans around me. WVU goes 0-12.

Worst case scenario: 8-4. Read too much into pre-season hype. Fall apart at home AGAIN against OhioU, fall asleep against MiamiOH or Rhode Island, blow a game against FIU or FAU, fail again with MTSU or Rice, and go to some tiny lovely bowl. WVU fans laugh at us, as they try to win 4 games again.

Expected scenario:
Hell we really could run the table. Cato is a beast, and Tommy Shuler (#1 WR and his boyhood best friend) could set some serious records this year. There's an outside chance Cato gets an invite to NYC in December. Should be a good season to live around here. Marshall and WVU fans will just politely ignore each other as always.

Former Everything
Nov 28, 2007

Is this right?
In your initial post, Braxton Miller going down was part of your worst case scenario:

TheGreyGhost posted:

Worst case: Braxton goes down. Cardale Jones has growing pains. The O-line never gels. Coverage system stays bad. LBs look slow and confused. Still better than like 3/4 of the Big 10. Gator Bowl/Capital One bowl. 8-5/9-4

Braxton Miller actually goes down and Ohio State's worst case scenario improves by two games?

TheGreyGhost posted:

Worst Case: 10-3 with Barrett and Jones battling over QB all year and a surprise loss somewhere on top of losing both toss ups. Still good enough for like the Capital One or Alamo Bowl where we beat the living hell out of someone and create mass hype for next year.

I'm as a big a homer for my team as anyone, but this takes the cake. I don't know enough about OSU to say you're right or wrong about your predictions, but I don't understand how losing the starting QB, who you held out to be a Heisman candidate, improves your team.

A couple more season-ending injuries to starters and Ohio State's worst case scenario is losing the NC on a last-second field goal.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Thoguh posted:

Can I count the inevitable second-tier bowl game against an unmotivated SEC team?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Real Name Grover posted:

Can I count the inevitable second-tier bowl game against an unmotivated SEC team?

Don't see why not.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Seriously though (well, as serious as one can get about this sort of thing)

FAU - W (RIP Carl Pelini)
McNeese St. - W (RIP FCS opponents)
Fresno St. - W (Won't be easy but Carr is gone and they're unsettled at QB)
Miami - W (If we can contain Duke Johnson well enough. Don't like their chances with a true frosh QB)
Illinois - W (lol)
Michigan State - L (And we worked so hard to almost break into the top 10, too...)
Northwestern - Tossup, as every game against them has been thus far
Rutgers - W (oh boy)
Purdue - W (Armstrong threw three boneheaded picks in West Lafayette last year and we still won 44-7)
Wisconsin - L (Wisconsin is Nebraska's new Texas)
Minnesota - W (RIP Jerry Kill)
Iowa - L (Unless we're really playing for something; otherwise, last year's game doesn't give me much hope. Here's hoping the weather is loving abysmal like the last time we played in Iowa City)

Same song, different dance, etc.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Former Everything posted:

I'm as a big a homer for my team as anyone, but this takes the cake. I don't know enough about OSU to say you're right or wrong about your predictions, but I don't understand how losing the starting QB, who you held out to be a Heisman candidate, improves your team.

A couple more season-ending injuries to starters and Ohio State's worst case scenario is losing the NC on a last-second field goal.

I'll play a little devil's advocate here. OSU isn't going to miss Braxton's passing because it was mediocre on a good day. Dude can run like all hell and had a pretty strong arm, but not a particularly accurate one. OSU is probably always going to have a solid O-line and Urban has some very good receivers on the team now. From what I know this backup QB is much better as a thrower.

You could also ignore almost all of what I just said and they're still going to be a 10 win team because their opponents this year are awful. Braxton's a hell of an athlete and probably would have been a Heisman finalist this year just because it'd be almost impossible not to carve up those defenses (save MSU), but they shouldn't really skip a beat in terms of their W-L record.

EDIT: Yeah, GreyGhost's comments seem pretty weird at face value but a pop warner kid could quarterback OSU to 10 wins this year.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Aug 27, 2014

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Former Everything posted:

In your initial post, Braxton Miller going down was part of your worst case scenario:

Braxton Miller actually goes down and Ohio State's worst case scenario improves by two games?

Or you could read the part where 4 other terrible things happen in the worst case scenario. Braxton going down was first on the list but our defense being bad again or the new starters on the oline being bad is much worse.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Anya posted:

Ran the rest to finish at 9-3 and then got cheated out of hosting CUSA title game where we promptly fell apart in protest.
It still baffles me that the tiebreaker for hosting the C-USA championship game was apparently just BCS ranking. What sort of drugs were they on when they adopted that one?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Miller is one of the best runners in the country and probably the best runner in the conference not named Melvin Gordon, but OSU is still loaded with skill talent on offense, and it's a really well designed and coached offense. They kept right on rolling over everyone last year when Miller got hurt. I think they're still heavy favorites to win the conference.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Anya posted:

Marshall fans state wide rejoice and tell WVU fans to gently caress off and burn down Morgantown. Every team that beat us last year (minus VT), we play at home- and we have a 10+ winning streak at home. I will burn every couch in town and dump the ashes on the porches of all WVU fans around me. WVU goes 0-12.

Worst case scenario: 8-4. Read too much into pre-season hype. Fall apart at home AGAIN against OhioU, fall asleep against MiamiOH or Rhode Island, blow a game against FIU or FAU, fail again with MTSU or Rice, and go to some tiny lovely bowl. WVU fans laugh at us, as they try to win 4 games again.

Expected scenario:
Hell we really could run the table. Cato is a beast, and Tommy Shuler (#1 WR and his boyhood best friend) could set some serious records this year. There's an outside chance Cato gets an invite to NYC in December. Should be a good season to live around here. Marshall and WVU fans will just politely ignore each other as always.

You do realize you'd literally go 1-11, maybe 2-10 against our schedule, right?

Good god you people.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Best Case Scenario: Oklahoma goes undefeated and wins a national championship.
Worst Case Scenario: Oklahoma goes undefeated and wins a national championship.

Boomer Sooner Y'all

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

2015 Florida Gators

We are either going to win 15 games, or 5.

There is no middle ground with this team.

Best case: Run the table. I stop wearing clothes forever.

Worst case: We lose 7-8 games and I start mixing windex with my Evan Williams on gamedays.

DUNCAN DONUTS
Mar 27, 2010

by XyloJW

MourningView posted:

Miller is one of the best runners in the country and probably the best runner in the conference not named Melvin Gordon, but OSU is still loaded with skill talent on offense, and it's a really well designed and coached offense. They kept right on rolling over everyone last year when Miller got hurt. I think they're still heavy favorites to win the conference.

LOL at Desomnd Howard

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

hahahaha that rules

Former Everything
Nov 28, 2007

Is this right?

Rad Valtar posted:

Or you could read the part where 4 other terrible things happen in the worst case scenario. Braxton going down was first on the list but our defense being bad again or the new starters on the oline being bad is much worse.

Ahh, I didn't realize that with the Miller injury, the other worst-case scenario terrible happenings became impossible. I understand the B10 is weak, I guess, but OSU is replacing 4/5 of its OL, Urban Meyer's only 1,000 yard RB ever and now will be starting a QB that has never taken a snap in a college game.

The backup, Guiton, looked decent, from what I can tell from cfbstats, but only played more than 30 plays against Cal, SDSU and FAMU.

It's not so much that I think (or even care) that OSU won't win 10 games this year, it's that seeing a worst-case scenario of 8-4 get amended to 10-3 after losing a three-year starting QB struck me as odd. You don't have to convince me that OSU can win 10 games, but if it was never going to be an issue, why was the initial "worst-case" prediction 8-4?

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

God Bless Lee Corso And Desmond Howrad

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Not a single person is picking Ohio State to win the Big Ten.

It is beautiful.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."

Incoherence posted:

It still baffles me that the tiebreaker for hosting the C-USA championship game was apparently just BCS ranking. What sort of drugs were they on when they adopted that one?

Cat drugs. Problem was - we actually got a BCS vote and Rice didn't. So then they changed the rank system that week and announced it would be hosted at Rice, in front of 5000 people. We would have given at least 25K. Players then promptly poo poo the bed in a most embarrassing fashion. Good times.

As for Marshall v WVU scheduling - whatever.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Rutgers Scarlet Knights

@Washington State - Loss, although it'll be entertaining like the Fresno game.
Howard - Win.
Penn State - Win. This team has a horrible offensive line and is paper thin defensively. If it wasn't for their name, everyone would be pegging them at 6-6. We also want to win this game more than life itself.
@Navy - Win. I could go either way, but Rutgers usually plays well against them, this is a time an undersized defense helps against.
Tulane - Win.
Michigan - Loss, but this is not impossible given their OL issues.
@Ohio State - Loss.
@Nebraska - Loss, but they looked pretty sketchy last year before getting bailed out by the rest of the Big Ten being horrible.
Wisconsin - Loss.
Indiana - Win. No defense, beat up on a horrible schedule last year.
@MSU - Loss, but they're going to fall off a bit from last year.
@Maryland - Win. I am incredulous that people are picking Rutgers behind them and Indiana, much less PSU.

6-6, a second half swoon, and hopefully Kyle Flood is finally fired. I think this team will be competitive, but that Michigan-Wisconsin stretch just kills them. RU will be very strong offensively, Friedgen has been incredible in camp. The secondary looks very green again, but that's actually less of an issue in the Big Ten due to all of their stone age offenses. Rutgers actually did and does have a decent amount of talent in the front seven, but it didn't matter at all when getting shredded by spreads.

B.F. Hoodrich
May 16, 2006
welp

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Not a single person is picking Ohio State to win the Big Ten.

That seems weird at first, but consider the following: gently caress ohio state

really makes you think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I will make the bold prediction that, contrary to the thread title, Oklahoma will not go 15-0 this season.

• Locked thread