Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

E: oops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

My prediction for Michigan:

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

B.F. Hoodrich posted:

That seems weird at first, but consider the following: gently caress ohio state

really makes you think
gently caress Ohio State, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul. gently caress-Ohio-State: the tip of the tongue taking a trip of three steps down the palate to tap, at three, on the teeth. gently caress. Ohio. State. She was Urban Meyer, plain Urban Meyer, in the morning, sitting mournfully eating pizza. She was gently caress Ohio in bowl games. She was gently caress the Big Ten at school. She was gently caress Columbus on the dotted line. But in my arms she was always gently caress Ohio State. Did she have a precursor? She did, indeed she did.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

DJExile posted:

I'll play a little devil's advocate here. OSU isn't going to miss Braxton's passing because it was mediocre on a good day. Dude can run like all hell and had a pretty strong arm, but not a particularly accurate one. OSU is probably always going to have a solid O-line and Urban has some very good receivers on the team now. From what I know this backup QB is much better as a thrower.

You could also ignore almost all of what I just said and they're still going to be a 10 win team because their opponents this year are awful. Braxton's a hell of an athlete and probably would have been a Heisman finalist this year just because it'd be almost impossible not to carve up those defenses (save MSU), but they shouldn't really skip a beat in terms of their W-L record.

EDIT: Yeah, GreyGhost's comments seem pretty weird at face value but a pop warner kid could quarterback OSU to 10 wins this year.

This was pretty much my point. I admit I'm a shameless homer, but that's sort of the point of the thread, and my worst case was also predicated on A. the backup QB struggling, B. the defense still being poo poo, C. The O-line never coming together, and D. the Linebackers failing to play up to expectations. Braxton went down, but we literally have guys in our third string skill players on offense that would be starting at like 10 of the 14 Big 10 schools right now.

Based on the knowledge to come out since I wrote the initial post, I feel far more confident that the failure cascade that it would take to bring us to single digit wins got way less likely.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

University of Miami Hurricanes:

Last Season: 9-4. Started off 7-0 before losing the next 3 games. Had Duke Johnson, our entire non-retarded offense, go down, and had a bunch of other injuries. Stephen Morris looked like he was on opiates all season. Had a giant wet fart of a bowl game.

Offense: Has the potential to be really, really good. We're starting a True Freshman QB that wasn't even an EE, but I'm not as worried as I probably should be. We have big playmakers at RB, TE, and WR. Duke Johnson and Stacy Coley should be dark horse Heisman candidates. Our WR corp is one of the deepest in the country, and I'm looking forward to watching them.

Defense: Some really, really good freshman came in, and we have a deep corp at DB and Safety. Linebackers are talented but thin on depth. We have really good DEs and a lovely interior defensive line. Until proven otherwise, :flaccid:

Season:

@Louisville: W Both teams are breaking in new QBs, and now UL has a defensive coach as lovely as ours. I think we're more talented, especially with the injuries. This is going to be a shootout.
vs Florida A&M: W
vs Arky State: W
@Nebraska: W I think they're kinda overrated.
vs Duke: W Too many injuries for them to do as they've done for a while and make me have a heart attack against them.
@GT: W gently caress GT
vs Cinci: W
@VT: Tossup leaning towards loss. Their defense is going to murder us. If our Defense is improved it'll be a tossup because your QB is worse than the journeyman we're not starting. That said, we've made all their QBs look like Heisman candidates recently.
vs UNC: W UNC GONNA SUCK
vs FSU: W(I'm going to be at this game so I don't want to predict a loss. WE GONNA LOSE 4 REALZ THOUGH)
@Virginia: L We're going to gently caress up one game we should win handily or by god we aren't the Al Golden Miami Hurricanes
vs Pitt: W This won't even be close.
9-2

Best Case Scenario: We run the table and Brad Kaaya looks amazing, and our defense improves, and my wife totally loves football now and will go with me to all the games because the hurricanes are awesome.

Worst Case Scenario: Kaaya gets hurt in game one, along with Denzel Perryman, Stacy Coley, and Duke. We go 0-12, and Shalallalalala gives all a 30 year extension because our players all are on track to graduate.

HooverDam
Aug 16, 2004

Will Styles already did a nice, longer ASU write up but I thought I'd add my 2 cents too:
Schedule:

Weber State: Win. ASU could break their school single game (79 points) scoring record in this one if they wanted to.

@ New Mexico: Win. UNM is awful. Mustache Nation (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dpozv7UMig) has made this the ASU road game of the year, so the Devils should have a nice crowd in ABQ.

@ Colorado: Win. Though I'm nervous about this one, at some point CU is going to pop up and surprise someone, I hope its not ASU!

UCLA Win! Its in Tempe, I am not buying all the UCLA hype. Hundley is terrific, but ASU beat them last year in Pasadena and will do it again at home, on a national TV blackout night game.

@USC: Win. USC has tons of talent, but I've never been too impressed with Sark, I think ASU keeps rolling.

Stanford: Loss. ASU comes back down to earth here.

@ Washington: Loss. This is the kind of game ASU would always lose pre- Graham. They're deflated after a big loss, they go on the road and stumble again.

Utah: Win Win. Utah is getting better but won't win in Tempe.

Notre Dame: Win ASU avenges last years game.

@ Oregon St: Loss Corvallis late in the year is no fun. You always want to catch the Beavers early if possible.

Washington St: Win ASU crushed WSU on Halloween last year, look for more of the same here.

@ Arizona: Win I'll always predict a W in this game, though I know it can go either way.

Pac 12 Title game vs Oregon or Stanford: Loss If it breaks the way I have it here, ASU would likely finish above the LA schools again, and again get their heads knocked in during the P12 title game.

So 9-3 in the regular season, I could easily also see (and its probably more realistic) 8-4.
Best Case 10-2
Worst Case 7-5

Pac 12 Bowls:

College Football Playoff (Rose Bowl):
Oregon

Fiesta Bowl:
Stanford

Alamo Bowl:
ASU

Holiday Bowl:
UCLA

Fight Hunger:
Washington

Sun:
USC

Las Vegas:
Oregon St

Cactus:
Washington St

New Mexico/other bowl (P12 is no longer officially affiliated w/ NM Bowl, but Mountain West may not fill its allotment):
Arizona

Other bowl:
Utah, possibly.

ASU Award Winners:

Biletnikoff: Jalean Strong, WR

All American: Jalean Strong, WR

Freshman All Americans: DJ Calhoun, LB

Pac 12 Defensive Freshman of the Year: DJ Calhoun, LB

First Team All P-12: Jalean Strong (WR), DJ Foster (RB), Jamil Douglas (LT), Damarius Randall (S)

Second Team All P-12: Christian Westerman (LG), Salamo Fiso (LB), Zane Gonzalez (K), Lloyd Carrington (CB), DJ Calhoun (LB)

Honorable Mention All P-12: Taylor Kelly (QB), De’Marieya Nelson (TE/LB), Jaxson Hood (DT)

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

You don't play NAU? That's weird! Did they change the biennial matchups? I thought it was a state law or something that NAU had to be one team's cupcake every year...

Will Styles posted:

It is weird, NAU has been playing ASU or UofA for as long as I've watched college football. I can't seem to find anything on why we aren't playing NAU this year either.

It is a rule/agreement that UofA and ASU are supposed to switch off playing NAU (to fill NAUs coffers) unless NAU finds a better pay day elsewhere, its up to them to take that if they want. So I guess SDSU decided to pay them more and they took it.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Quandary posted:

Best Case Scenario: Oklahoma goes undefeated and wins a national championship.
Worst Case Scenario: Oklahoma goes undefeated and wins a national championship.

Boomer Sooner Y'all

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh posted:

Your 2014 Iowa State Cyclones: At least we're not Kansas.

North Dakota State: Loss
Kansas State: Loss
Iowa: Loss
Baylor: Loss, game will be delayed at the start of the 4th quarter while someone tapes up a hand written "1" in front of the Baylor score after it resets to zero
Oklahoma State: Loss
Toledo: Loss
Texas: Loss
Oklahoma: Loss
Kansas: Thrilling triple overtime victory
Texas Tech: Loss
West Virginia: Win
TCU: Loss

Well, I was close.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

MourningView posted:

You'll light up our rebuilt back 7 after losing to NDSU and Paul can be so so proud of going 2-10.

:smith:

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Let's see how mine stacked up.

quote:

Aug 29 - UNLV - W: This should be a gimme. It's UNLV, come the gently caress on.
Sept 4 - @UTSA - W: There's nothing about this that makes sense. Whatever, UTSA's new to the FBS. Enjoy your stay?
Sept 13 - Nevada - ?: I don't know anything about the post-Ault Nevada teams. Good? Bad? But Arizona will be more talented. Kaepernick ain't walking through that door, guys.
Sept 20 - Cal - W: Cal was horrible last year. Like, garbage. Shouldn't improve that much, and the secondary should be able to slow down that bear raid enough.
Oct 2 - @Oregon - L: No loving way, not after last year's 42-16 massacre. They're gonna be out for loving blood.
Oct 11 - USC - L: No idea how they'll do. We've done well against Sark's teams, but USC has a lot of talent, so they'll probably win.
Oct 25 - @Wazzu - ?: Last year was weird. Let us hope it is a win, but whatever, Wazzu's cool.
Nov 1 - @UCLA - L: gently caress UCLA.
Nov 8 - Colorado - W: If you need a sure-fire win or some weed, Colorado's exactly what the doctor ordered.
Nov 15 - Washington - ?: I'm terrified of Chris Petersen. But not this season.
Nov 22 - @Utah - W: Sorry Whittingham.
Nov 28 - ASU - ?: I'd be a bad fan if I said we'd lose this game, and a dumb fan if I said we'd win it.
I predicted both losses so far.

I also flubbed on the Oregon (because apparently that's a thing now) and we've won all the tossups so far for an 8-2 record. So we beat my predicted 7-5 record and obliterated the worst-case 5-7 record. Utah and ASU remain, and both are winnable. I did get the Cal thing COMPLETELY wrong, but if we had a competent field goal kicker we'd have won against USC, so there's that. There's been one game on the schedule that we clearly should have lost, and that's against UCLA. So kudos, guys!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Spiritus Nox posted:

for now just know that Baylor Football is absolutely bitchin' and I really like our team this year and gently caress the haters 'cause we're going to beat OU in Norman.

:smug:

I didn't predict any losses (I called @OU a tossup), whiffed on a much improved WVU squad and nearly whiffed on a very much improved TCU, but otherwise things are looking nice.

Our offense has taken a bit of a step back as Petty hasn't really improved, Goodley's regressed and we miss Lache's ability to blow people away in the run game, but the defense has actually made a larger step forward to mostly make up for it. The defensive line has been among the nation's best and flattened everyone they faced week after week, Bryce Hager has been his usual beastly self at MLB, Aivion Edwards and Taylor young have both played well at OLB while Brence has basically been Sam Holl MK II at NB, our safeties look like they did last year plus a year's experience (and Orion Stewart is less likely to murder someone on the field than Ahmad Dixon was), Xavien Howard has been something of a revelation at CB and Ryan Reid hasn't been bad either. Been lots of fun to watch this unit. Best part is that the vast majority of this unit is coming back next year.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Nov 17, 2014

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Probably Magic posted:

THE UNIVERSITY OF KANSAS JAYHAWKS

ANALYSIS: They suck.
PREDICTION: Like, one win. Maybe.

I was wrong! Well, on the prediction part.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

Groucho Marxist posted:

Mizzou is markedly worse this year but can probably pull out 8 wins because of the schedule

hey there

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

West Virginia Mountaineers

Alabama (Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game) L
I don't think there's any one who expects us to win this game, which likely plays in our favor but that's not really saying much.

Towson W
Hopefully we're not too banged up from the trashing and don't over look a very good FCS team before Maryland.

at Maryland W
I can't overstate how absolutely pivotal this game is to our season. If we lose, there's virtually zero chance of salvaging the season. Holgo's prolly not gone if they lose close. Another blowout likely signals it though.

Oklahoma* L
We've played Oklahoma tremendously well and should be 2-0 vs them in the Big XII. If we're 2-1 coming into this game, I'd like our chances a lot better. If we're 1-3 not so much.

Kansas* W
Kansas single-handily ended our season last year, boatracing us in Lawerence in a laugher. Anything less than a demolition of this team should get Holgo's rear end fired.

at Texas Tech* W
I think the Kliffy Magic was a fluke and Tech is going to take a step back.

Baylor* L
Next.

at Oklahoma State* L
REVENGENCE

TCU* W
TCU is a mess and Gary prolly aught to be polishin' that resume.

at Texas* L
I think Texas is going to take a while to mesh, but Charlie Strong will out coach Dana again.

Kansas State* (Thursday)W
WVU's record in Thursday Night Homegames is nearly perfect (the last loss being a 13-3 defeat at the hands of mighty William and Jefferson in 1926). Bill Snyder is a wizard though.

at Iowa State* W
One of the two coaches likely won't survive this.

So swap for TCU for Baylor and I think I was mostly right?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Sash! posted:

Penn State will definitely lose to Ohio State and Michigan State. Probably lose to Michigan. Might lose to Northwestern and Illinois. So 10-2 best case, 9-3 most likely, 7-5 possible.

Basically same as it always is.

Swap Illinois with Maryland and I might have been spot on!

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
I guess in the end I will have missed on TCU/Baylor and likely KState/OK Light.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Real Name Grover posted:

Seriously though (well, as serious as one can get about this sort of thing)

FAU - W (RIP Carl Pelini)
McNeese St. - W (RIP FCS opponents)
Fresno St. - W (Won't be easy but Carr is gone and they're unsettled at QB)
Miami - W (If we can contain Duke Johnson well enough. Don't like their chances with a true frosh QB)
Illinois - W (lol)
Michigan State - L (And we worked so hard to almost break into the top 10, too...)
Northwestern - Tossup, as every game against them has been thus far
Rutgers - W (oh boy)
Purdue - W (Armstrong threw three boneheaded picks in West Lafayette last year and we still won 44-7)
Wisconsin - L (Wisconsin is Nebraska's new Texas)
Minnesota - W (RIP Jerry Kill)
Iowa - L (Unless we're really playing for something; otherwise, last year's game doesn't give me much hope. Here's hoping the weather is loving abysmal like the last time we played in Iowa City)

Same song, different dance, etc.

:smug: (except winning at Fresno was the easiest thing this team has accomplished all season)

Still predicting a loss in Iowa City. Kill surviving the season? Tossup.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

DJExile posted:

Bowling Green Falcons

@ Western Kentucky - W - Hey, it's in the other Bowling Green, neat.
vs. VMI - W - Home opener cupcake.
vs. Indiana - ? - Oh man, this could easily break 80 total points. BG laid a bad egg against them last year although they did pull off the punt block of the year in it. This will depend heavily on which IU team shows up, but odds are very good it'll turn into a shootout.
@ Wisconsin - L - Annual recruiting budget boost game. We'll probably hang around until about midway through the 3rd. If the offense is clicking, we could put a scare into them.
@ UMass - W - UMass is on the farewell tour from the MAC and nobody's beating down the door to get them to join their conference. What a mess it's been for what used to be a very solid FCS program. I hear they're finally playing games back on campus though so that has to help a bit.
vs. Buffalo - W - Buffalo has really improved from being a MAC doormat but they've got a ways to go. Great defense, even with the departure of Khalil Mack, but offense still needs development.
@ Ohio - W - This is on October 11th, right around the time Ohio starts its traditional crash.
vs. Western Mich - W - WMU is a total mess, but I am intrigued to see some of PJ Fleck's recruits in action.
HUGE rear end BYE WEEK - Seriously, BG doesn't play a game from October 18th until November 4th. I have no idea how that happened. :psyduck:
@ Akron - W - This is going to be closer than I'd like. Akron has really improved and they'll want to get in a track meet. They still don't have much defense to speak of but they're much more potent on offense.
vs. Kent State - W - Kent has a miserable opening schedule (season opener vs. Ohio, @ tOSU, @ NIU)and they'll be coming off a game against Toledo. Paul Haynes doesn't have a bare cupboard to work with, but there's a lot to be done.
@ Toledo - ? - Track meet. Toledo is brutal in this game when they're in the Glass Bowl, but they're replacing a lot of weapons.
vs. Ball State - ? - Another hard one to call. BG hasn't played Ball State in 5 years, and while it's a short week for Ball State, they'll be coming off of playing doormats UMass and EMU. I know very little about what Ball State is bringing back but Pete Lembo has done a great job there.

Best Case - Show off terrifying offense in first 3 games and get a win back over Indiana. Hang in against Wisconsin until late, then run the table the rest of the way. Matt Johnson thrives under Dino's new offense and puts up absurd numbers. Extended bye period gives plenty of time to heal up injuries and prepare for last two games. Play NIU in the MAC Championship again and smoke them again. 11-1

Worst Case - Offense looks great at times but sloppy at others as confusion reigns for both BG and opposing defenses. Drop another one to IU and get obliterated at Wisconsin. Johnson goes down somewhere along the line. Extended bye leads to rust. 7-5 with no bowl bid

Likely Case - Offense looks a little iffy at first but wakes up. Johnson looks fantastic but gets a little turnover-prone looking for deep balls all the time. Go 1-1 in last two games but take the relatively weak MAC East. Have a shootout MAC Championship with NIU, Ball State, or Toledo. 10-2

Wrong on WKU (oh god that game :gonk:) and Western Mich. Johnson did indeed go down as listed in my worst case scenario, but I really can't complain because Kanapke has stepped in admirably. Toledo game should be a track meet as predicted, and Ball State is a mess this year so they'll finish 8-4 at worst. Indiana game was indeed a shootout (holy poo poo 1153 yards between them), and we're headed back to the MAC championship against either Toledo or NIU.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Haha I forgot about that.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

LeeMajors posted:

2015 Florida Gators

We are either going to win 15 games, or 5.

There is no middle ground with this team.

Best case: Run the table. I stop wearing clothes forever.

Worst case: We lose 7-8 games and I start mixing windex with my Evan Williams on gamedays.

We are going to finish 6-5, so I was wrong.

The Kurt Roper experience did not go well. Not sure if Muschamp exerted influence on offensive playcalling, or what went all went wrong. Defense, special teams and recruiting all suffered this year as well.

Suffice to say, "wait til next year" is becoming a common and tiresome phrase in Gainesville. So ends our Ray Goff experience. Muschamp will probably DC one of our rivals and cause us pain for years to come.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!

Dr. Pangloss posted:

MY PREDICTION:
11-1, losing to OU in Norman, still Big XII Champs, first team left out of the playoffs

So, swap WVU for OU and I'm still in the hunt for everything else, including being the first team left out of the playoffs.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

Jesus this is depressing to look at now. I was so hopeful before this season. Seriously? Losing to Kentucky and Tennessee, but beating Georgia and Florida? Who the gently caress would've predicted that?

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

Jeremor posted:

Jesus this is depressing to look at now. I was so hopeful before this season. Seriously? Losing to Kentucky and Tennessee, but beating Georgia and Florida? Who the gently caress would've predicted that?

Lots of people would've predicted yall beating Florida.

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

Basil Hayden posted:

Kentucky is probably still going to be bad. I'm just hoping not quite as bad as last year.

UT-Martin - W 59-14, Kentucky doesn't lose to FCS teams at least - Still haven't!
Ohio - W 20-3 I hope, except Ohio is kind of halfway decent if I remember correctly - Not so much this year
@ Florida - L 30-36 3OT :negative:
Vanderbilt - L? W 17-7 I don't know if Vandy is still going to be any good post-Franklin - They are not
South Carolina - L W 45-38 I think Kentucky has beaten a Spurrier-coached team, like, once, ever? - Make that 2-20 against Spurrier all time
UL-Monroe - W 48-14 please let us beat all our mid-major opponents this year at least
@ LSU - L 3-41 haha no
Mississippi State - L 31-45 UK hasn't beaten MSU since '08 which is kind of sad since historically the programs are on a similar level :( - This year not so much
@ Missouri - L 10-20 I really, really doubt it - Closer than expected
Georgia - L 31-63 as was pointed out, a Georgia team with nothing to play for laid like sixty on UK last year - Welp
Tennessee - L 16-50 Tennessee is probably not going to be good either, but maybe it could happen again? - That would be no
Louisville - L UofL is really solid right now so I just don't see it

I have to hope like hell UK doesn't do any worse than 2-10, but I have trouble seeing even five wins on this schedule. - Hey look we got to five
Louisville game pending, obviously.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Deteriorata posted:

My prediction for Michigan:

Nailed it. :smug:

:eng99: I so wanted to be wrong. :smith:

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

quote:

QB: Obviously with Braxton out, JT Barrett is now the guy. He's a way more accurate passer who thrives from the short-intermediate passes that Urban used more for the Florida offense than now, so the passing game will likely shift more towards that. He can run too, albeit not at Braxton's caliber. Biggest concern is his arm strength on the deep ball, but we can adjust the offense for that. This isn't like 3 years ago when Braxton was a freshman. We have the best set of skill players at OSU in close to a decade, and the offense is still going to put up some absurd numbers. Also, Barrett has literally been taking first-team snaps since spring, and he's been in the program for a year now. He has over 300 snaps taken before the injury even happened. We were winning games last year with Kenny Guiton having a small fraction of that and even less physical ability than JT.

RB: Ezekiel Elliot is the likely starter. He's a home run threat every carry inside or out and a great receiver--not the best blocker though. Brionte Dunn or Rod Smith will be the likely power back, with Dunn having the edge since Rod Smith is a factory of disappointment. Curtis Samuel had Urban gushing, and he's a hybrid scatback, similar to Dontre Wilson last year. Warren Ball is likely the odd man out. Really good depth, but not as absurd as last year.

WR: The best unit since the Holmes/Ginn/Gonzo/Robiskie/Hartline crew. Devin Smith is an incumbent starter, and he's a scary deep threat who can burn teams over the top consistently--needs work on shorter routes. Dontre Wilson will start as well, after spending last year at RB. He's according to the coaches, the best receiver on the roster at present, and having other threats on the team should let him breakout this season. The third receiver is likely either Corey Smith or Evan Spencer, with Smith taking the lead in spring. Past the top 4, Jalin Marshall has looked great but is injury prone, and Mike Thomas keeps running for the "Taurian Washington" award for guy who looks great every spring then never does anything. Top to bottom, the depth here is the best on the offense.

TE: Jeff Heurman looked like and Urban Meyer TE last year and should be a consistent, if undersized, threat across the middle. Nick Vannett apparently looked like the 1b to his 1a in the spring. Marcus Baugh is perpetually in the doghouse for dumb poo poo, and JT Moore converted for depth. Noah Brown and Jeff Greene are flex receivers who will line up between here and WR, with Greene likely playing and Brown a potential redshirt.

O-Line: Last year's best unit in OSU history is gone. Taylor Decker returns, likely at LT this year. Chad Lindsey transferred in from Alabama and looks like he can start at C right away but Jacoby Boren is challenging. Guards are likely Antonio Underwood and Pat Elfein who got a decent amount of time last year. One of Kyle Dodson or Daryll Baldwin will be at RT. If they gel, this will be a good group. They just need reps early.

D-Line: Noah Spence is a potential first rounder at Rush End/Viper. Joey Bosa looked like a future top-10 pick as a freshman and will hold down the SSDE spot, likely mauling a lot of the Big 10 this year. Adolphus Washington moves full time to DT and is overqualified athletically for it. He's going to be a huge pain for any guard or C 1 on 1. Michael Bennett will likely be picked in the first two rounds after this year, and he's one of the best pass-rushing DTs in the nation as well. The main backups are Tyquan Lewis at DE and Tommy Schutt at DT. Lewis is a freak pass rusher, Schutt is more of a clogger in the middle. Steve Miller and Rashad Frazier also will rotate at DE, and Michael Hill will see snaps at DT as well. As a whole, there will be way more rotation, so 8-10 guys will play per game here with how Larry Johnson runs it.

LBs: The best group Urban has had depth wise. Josh Perry is the only guaranteed started. Darron Lee and Chris Worley are fighting for the new SLB spot which is actually the smaller LB meant to cover TEs rather than the past concept of sticking a big LB or MLB on one. We will see how this plays out. MLB has incumbent Curtis Grant, but he's already being pushed by 5* freshman Raekwon McMillan who drawing Katzenmoyer comparisons based on how skilled he already is. Trey Johnson will back up Perry with noted bad football player Cam Williams hopefully not playing anywhere this year so that I don't have to watch him casually lumber towards RBs anymore.

DBs: Isolating corners and safeties is difficult this year because there's going to be overlap with guys playing both. Vonn Bell, Tyvis Powell, and Cam Burrows are the candidates for starting at S with the first two having an edge. Loser gets the Nickel Corner spot likely. Starting corners are Doran Grant for sure and one of Gareon Conley or Armani Reeves. Hopefully Conley, since Reeves is famous for getting burned by Iowa's slow white TE on a vertical route last year. Eli Apple looks like a potential dime back for the year who could work up to a boundary corner by the end of the year. Erick Smith at safety looks like a potential candidate for early playing time. The cover 4 system Chris Ash is installing involves actual concepts like pressing and not giving 15 yard cushions to receivers like Sammy Watkins who will burn you with that kind of space. Looks drastically improved schematically already.

K/P Sean Nuerenberger comes in very highly rated with a cannon leg. We always have good punters. Like there's 2 guys who could punt anywhere in the nation. OSU never worries about that poo poo.

Player-wise, I was pretty accurate. Mike Thomas actually finally broke out at receiver, so that was a slight miss. The O-line has gotten good, and the D-line doesn't really miss Spence all that much. LBs are great, especially when Curtis isn't on the field, and this is the best secondary we've had in years.

quote:

at Navy: W, Our front 7 is too good to lose this game.

VT: Toss-up/Lean W, I'm still not conceding a win in the shoe happening here. We're way deeper, and frankly we weren't winning this game on Braxton's arm. We have too much in the front 7 for Beamer ball to work, and the press coverage should give the pass rush the time it needs to be effective. Running game wears down VT front 7. Short-Intermediate passing game prevents turnovers and keeps VT out of range.

Cincinnati: W, Still a trap game, but Gunner Kiel or not, they have 1 receiver I'm actually scared of (who I actually was juked out by repeatedly in high school weirdly enough). Again, the depth gets us a win, even though this is probably pretty ugly and hard to watch like VT.

at Maryland: W, Welcome to the Big 10 bitch.

Rutgers: W, In which JT Barrett accumulates the yardage necessary to be the Big 10 freshman of the year while the RBs have a competition over who can juke Rutgers' lovely defense the hardest.

Illinois: W, Tim Beckman is still a sad sad man.

at Sparty: Toss-up, Really, until I see MSU has in fact reloaded on defense instead of just had 1 good year, I still don't think think we lose this, but I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt for the moment since Narduzzi is a loving wizard. I do think the reps JT gets from VT help a lot here and give him some needed experience against a good secondary, but I'm mostly concerned about the O-line holding up here.

at Minnesota: W, No depth or speed on defense for Minnesota seems bad to me.

Indiana: W, I can see the offense dropping 70 here just because Urban really really did not enjoy how close this was last time.

Michigan: W, if this were in Ann Arbor, I might call it a toss-up. True frosh LT with a bunch of guys who were the world line in football last year against the best pass rush in football? Maybe they get a bit better, but that's a tall order on the road with the level of noise this game will have. Funchess and Butt aren't enough to keep us from stacking 8 guys in the box and making this a long day.

Potential Big 10 Championship: W, the west sucks this year.

Best Case: 12-1, 13-1 with Barrett living up to his ranking and stepping up as the next hot new redshirt freshmen that keep popping up (see, Winston, Mariota, Manziel, etc) and the defense stepping up only to get curbstomped by one of FSU/Whoever wins the Pac-12 or SEC in the semis or final.

Worst Case: 10-3 with Barrett and Jones battling over QB all year and a surprise loss somewhere on top of losing both toss ups. Still good enough for like the Capital One or Alamo Bowl where we beat the living hell out of someone and create mass hype for next year.

Likely Case: 11-1 beating VT and losing to Sparty and falling short of the Big 10 championship game. This gets us into one of the BCS bowls under the purview of the committee but not the playoffs where we probably play like Clemson and try for revenge in a game where literally all of the points will be scored.

Record was fairly accurate so far. Serious botch calling VT a lean W in retrospect, but I think we're somewhere between the best case and the likely case right now. Barrett has absolutely been the best redshirt freshman QB in America this year, and that's meant a great deal. Still aren't out of the playoff hunt.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Virginia Tech Hokies

Worst Possible Results | 7-5, 5-3 ACC: Let's say the offense isn't any better (entirely possible), and the defense takes time to find it's groove with lots of new starters in the front 7, we could easily lost to OSU, ECU, UNC, Pitt, Duke or Miami. There is the potential for a downward spiral fast if things go wrong early in conference play. We could be better in some spots (WR, TE), but still not have the QB or Oline to make much use of it. A third year without being in contention for the ACC Title, and stuck in some poo poo mid tier bowl unranked is absolutely on the table. I'm just hoping we can start to get consistent on offense and see more of the Miami game last season and less of the Duke or Maryland games.

Tennessee Volunteers

Expected Results | 6-6, 3-5 SEC: I think that the Vols will be capable of at least 1 upset along their schedule which means they should have a chance to finish at .500 and make a bowl game. Where that comes is up for debate but I think it would likely come among Florida, South Carolina, Ole Miss or Mizzou. Assuming they win their OOC games within reach it will only take 3 wins in conference and Kentucky and Vandy should be automatic given the history between them. I think a bowl eligible record would be a huge accomplishment for Jones with the schedule and the continued talent gap that the Vols have against the top SEC programs. He's a drat good coach and I expect him to build on what they did last year staying largely competitive and not quitting like they had under Dooley.

Well I was basically able to peg both of my team's seasons almost to a T, although the Hokies are going 7-5 4-4 in conference. Called the potential downward spiral early in the conference schedule, but misplaced faith in UNC over GT. Unfortunate that I hit the worst possible results for the Hokies, but hey at least I saw it coming with all the correct reasons documented. Vols are headed in the right direction, but again I think I was spot on with how their season would play out.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Pook Good Mook posted:

University of Iowa Hawkeyes

August
30 Northern Iowa W
September
6 Ball State W
13 Iowa State W Hopefully, but this could be iffy.
20 at Pittsburgh W Another probable
27 at Purdue W
October
11 Indiana (Homecoming) W Indiana sucks
18 at Maryland Tossup Honestly I think they're going to lose a trash game in the first half of the season and I think this one will be it.
November
1 Northwestern W Should be a win but they've lost to Northwestern recently
8 at Minnesota W
15 at Illinois W
22 Wisconsin See below
28 Nebraska Tossup They're going to win one of these games and lose the other. My guess would be that they lose to Wisconsin and beat Nebraska but who knows.

Best Case
11-1 With only a loss to Wisconsin or Nebraska that still gets Iowa to the Big 10 championship where they promptly lose to Michigan State.

Worst Case
5-7 This is Iowa so they always should be better than their results based on their talent and size. Don't be surprised to see them lose to Ball State, Pitt, ISU, Maryland, Wisconsin, Nebraska, poo poo probably Northwestern.

Realistically
9-3? Like I said I expect them to lose to a garbage team in the first half of the season and split the last two games with another flukey loss thrown in for good measure. Their schedule is laughably easy this year, especially since all their tough games aside from Maryland and Pitt are at home. Depending on how the rest of the dumpster fire that is the B1G West fares there is still a decent shot they play for the conference title with this record, before losing gloriously to the team from the B1G East.

I was right on with Maryland and I'll claim credit for ISU as well. Mea culpa on being way too confident regarding Minnesota.

My realistic prediction might turn out to be correct but realistically Iowa is losing one of the next two games, if they win even one of them it will be a miracle.

To be far they should have won against ISU barring a horseshit unnecessary roughness call on the final drive and Ferentz not understanding how icing the kicker is supposed to work.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Iowa State got blown out by loving Kansas and North Dakota St, don't try to excuse that bullshit. If you are to the point where that game comes down to 1 or 2 plays then you already lost

B.F. Hoodrich
May 16, 2006
welp

MourningView posted:

Iowa State got blown out by loving Kansas and North Dakota St, don't try to excuse that bullshit. If you are to the point where that game comes down to 1 or 2 plays then you already lost

They are so awful and I would like to stop losing to them every other year. It is bad, and not good

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

LeeMajors posted:

We are going to finish 6-5, so I was wrong.

The Kurt Roper experience did not go well. Not sure if Muschamp exerted influence on offensive playcalling, or what went all went wrong. Defense, special teams and recruiting all suffered this year as well.

Suffice to say, "wait til next year" is becoming a common and tiresome phrase in Gainesville. So ends our Ray Goff experience. Muschamp will probably DC one of our rivals and cause us pain for years to come.

Roper did a fine job with the worst quarterback imaginable behind center for half the season. If he had been allowed to develop Harris who the gently caress knows

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

CaptainYesterday posted:

Texas State Bobcats schedule
August 30 - Arkansas-Pine Bluff W
September 13 - Navy L
September 20 - at Illinois L
September 27 - at Tulsa W
October 4 - Idaho W
October 14 - Louisiana L
October 25 - Louisiana-Monroe L
November 1 - at New Mexico State W
November 8 - Georgia Southern W
November 15 - at South Alabama W
November 20 - Arkansas State L
November 29 - at Georgia State W

Best Possible result: 9-3, and a trip to the New Orleans Bowl
Worst Possible result: 0-12, and a pink slip for Dennis "Fran Marcos" Franchione
Most Probable result: 7-5, and a trip to the Camellia Bowl by default

7 picks right so far, 3 picks wrong so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!

Dr. Pangloss posted:

MY PREDICTION:
11-1, losing to OU in Norman, still Big XII Champs, first team left out of the playoffs

Man, for someone that was so close to hitting my prediction, this still hurts a lot...

• Locked thread