Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Bowling Green Falcons
Last Year: First MAC championship in 21 years gently caress yeah :toot:. Lost kickass coach Dave Clawson to Wake Forest :smith:. Hired video game offense minded coach Dino Babers :toot:
This year: A ton of the offense is back, specifically QB Matt Johnson, who came out of nowhere to tear poo poo up last season. Most of the MAC's best defense returns as well. Debut of a loving six foot seven punter.

2014 Schedule
@ Western Kentucky - W - Hey, it's in the other Bowling Green, neat.
vs. VMI - W - Home opener cupcake.
vs. Indiana - ? - Oh man, this could easily break 80 total points. BG laid a bad egg against them last year although they did pull off the punt block of the year in it. This will depend heavily on which IU team shows up, but odds are very good it'll turn into a shootout.
@ Wisconsin - L - Annual recruiting budget boost game. We'll probably hang around until about midway through the 3rd. If the offense is clicking, we could put a scare into them.
@ UMass - W - UMass is on the farewell tour from the MAC and nobody's beating down the door to get them to join their conference. What a mess it's been for what used to be a very solid FCS program. I hear they're finally playing games back on campus though so that has to help a bit.
vs. Buffalo - W - Buffalo has really improved from being a MAC doormat but they've got a ways to go. Great defense, even with the departure of Khalil Mack, but offense still needs development.
@ Ohio - W - This is on October 11th, right around the time Ohio starts its traditional crash.
vs. Western Mich - W - WMU is a total mess, but I am intrigued to see some of PJ Fleck's recruits in action.
HUGE rear end BYE WEEK - Seriously, BG doesn't play a game from October 18th until November 4th. I have no idea how that happened. :psyduck:
@ Akron - W - This is going to be closer than I'd like. Akron has really improved and they'll want to get in a track meet. They still don't have much defense to speak of but they're much more potent on offense.
vs. Kent State - W - Kent has a miserable opening schedule (season opener vs. Ohio, @ tOSU, @ NIU)and they'll be coming off a game against Toledo. Paul Haynes doesn't have a bare cupboard to work with, but there's a lot to be done.
@ Toledo - ? - Track meet. Toledo is brutal in this game when they're in the Glass Bowl, but they're replacing a lot of weapons.
vs. Ball State - ? - Another hard one to call. BG hasn't played Ball State in 5 years, and while it's a short week for Ball State, they'll be coming off of playing doormats UMass and EMU. I know very little about what Ball State is bringing back but Pete Lembo has done a great job there.

Best Case - Show off terrifying offense in first 3 games and get a win back over Indiana. Hang in against Wisconsin until late, then run the table the rest of the way. Matt Johnson thrives under Dino's new offense and puts up absurd numbers. Extended bye period gives plenty of time to heal up injuries and prepare for last two games. Play NIU in the MAC Championship again and smoke them again. 11-1

Worst Case - Offense looks great at times but sloppy at others as confusion reigns for both BG and opposing defenses. Drop another one to IU and get obliterated at Wisconsin. Johnson goes down somewhere along the line. Extended bye leads to rust. 7-5 with no bowl bid

Likely Case - Offense looks a little iffy at first but wakes up. Johnson looks fantastic but gets a little turnover-prone looking for deep balls all the time. Go 1-1 in last two games but take the relatively weak MAC East. Have a shootout MAC Championship with NIU, Ball State, or Toledo. 10-2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

wootmachine posted:

Special Teams:

hahahahaha

momtartin posted:

I would be more than happy with either of these results, but if we have to split the series, I'd rather lose to Ball State. gently caress Toledo. Also I didn't know our bye weeks were back to back, and that's kind hosed up, but it works to our advantage.

Yeah, splitting those games doesn't really hurt too bad because they're both in the west and the East should be locked up by then. I'm cautiously optomistic about the long bye since we're not that deep (few MAC teams ever are, to be fair) and that'll help heal some injuries. Still, it just seems like it's begging for them to get rusty and Akron is a trap game.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Grayly Squirrel posted:

Tulane Green Wave

how have i never seen this logo before? It owns

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

gently caress ohio state but i would be goddamn stunned if they won less than 11 games in the regular season. Losing Braxton Miller changes absolutely nothing when you're playing a conference schedule that awful.

E: I mean it's not osu's fault that the b1g added two dogshit teams but jesus

DJExile fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Aug 27, 2014

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Thoguh posted:

Are there any B1G teams that aren't looking at their schedule and going "No way we don't win ten games"?

Everyone who isn't OSU or Sparty.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Former Everything posted:

I'm as a big a homer for my team as anyone, but this takes the cake. I don't know enough about OSU to say you're right or wrong about your predictions, but I don't understand how losing the starting QB, who you held out to be a Heisman candidate, improves your team.

A couple more season-ending injuries to starters and Ohio State's worst case scenario is losing the NC on a last-second field goal.

I'll play a little devil's advocate here. OSU isn't going to miss Braxton's passing because it was mediocre on a good day. Dude can run like all hell and had a pretty strong arm, but not a particularly accurate one. OSU is probably always going to have a solid O-line and Urban has some very good receivers on the team now. From what I know this backup QB is much better as a thrower.

You could also ignore almost all of what I just said and they're still going to be a 10 win team because their opponents this year are awful. Braxton's a hell of an athlete and probably would have been a Heisman finalist this year just because it'd be almost impossible not to carve up those defenses (save MSU), but they shouldn't really skip a beat in terms of their W-L record.

EDIT: Yeah, GreyGhost's comments seem pretty weird at face value but a pop warner kid could quarterback OSU to 10 wins this year.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Aug 27, 2014

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

hahahaha that rules

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

E: oops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

DJExile posted:

Bowling Green Falcons

@ Western Kentucky - W - Hey, it's in the other Bowling Green, neat.
vs. VMI - W - Home opener cupcake.
vs. Indiana - ? - Oh man, this could easily break 80 total points. BG laid a bad egg against them last year although they did pull off the punt block of the year in it. This will depend heavily on which IU team shows up, but odds are very good it'll turn into a shootout.
@ Wisconsin - L - Annual recruiting budget boost game. We'll probably hang around until about midway through the 3rd. If the offense is clicking, we could put a scare into them.
@ UMass - W - UMass is on the farewell tour from the MAC and nobody's beating down the door to get them to join their conference. What a mess it's been for what used to be a very solid FCS program. I hear they're finally playing games back on campus though so that has to help a bit.
vs. Buffalo - W - Buffalo has really improved from being a MAC doormat but they've got a ways to go. Great defense, even with the departure of Khalil Mack, but offense still needs development.
@ Ohio - W - This is on October 11th, right around the time Ohio starts its traditional crash.
vs. Western Mich - W - WMU is a total mess, but I am intrigued to see some of PJ Fleck's recruits in action.
HUGE rear end BYE WEEK - Seriously, BG doesn't play a game from October 18th until November 4th. I have no idea how that happened. :psyduck:
@ Akron - W - This is going to be closer than I'd like. Akron has really improved and they'll want to get in a track meet. They still don't have much defense to speak of but they're much more potent on offense.
vs. Kent State - W - Kent has a miserable opening schedule (season opener vs. Ohio, @ tOSU, @ NIU)and they'll be coming off a game against Toledo. Paul Haynes doesn't have a bare cupboard to work with, but there's a lot to be done.
@ Toledo - ? - Track meet. Toledo is brutal in this game when they're in the Glass Bowl, but they're replacing a lot of weapons.
vs. Ball State - ? - Another hard one to call. BG hasn't played Ball State in 5 years, and while it's a short week for Ball State, they'll be coming off of playing doormats UMass and EMU. I know very little about what Ball State is bringing back but Pete Lembo has done a great job there.

Best Case - Show off terrifying offense in first 3 games and get a win back over Indiana. Hang in against Wisconsin until late, then run the table the rest of the way. Matt Johnson thrives under Dino's new offense and puts up absurd numbers. Extended bye period gives plenty of time to heal up injuries and prepare for last two games. Play NIU in the MAC Championship again and smoke them again. 11-1

Worst Case - Offense looks great at times but sloppy at others as confusion reigns for both BG and opposing defenses. Drop another one to IU and get obliterated at Wisconsin. Johnson goes down somewhere along the line. Extended bye leads to rust. 7-5 with no bowl bid

Likely Case - Offense looks a little iffy at first but wakes up. Johnson looks fantastic but gets a little turnover-prone looking for deep balls all the time. Go 1-1 in last two games but take the relatively weak MAC East. Have a shootout MAC Championship with NIU, Ball State, or Toledo. 10-2

Wrong on WKU (oh god that game :gonk:) and Western Mich. Johnson did indeed go down as listed in my worst case scenario, but I really can't complain because Kanapke has stepped in admirably. Toledo game should be a track meet as predicted, and Ball State is a mess this year so they'll finish 8-4 at worst. Indiana game was indeed a shootout (holy poo poo 1153 yards between them), and we're headed back to the MAC championship against either Toledo or NIU.

• Locked thread