Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
VT 2014:

Bill & Mary: W
@OSU: Toss-Up. I think our D will make their O look silly in many ways, and it's likely their D will do the same to our O, though I'm not sure they'll be able to run with our TEs in the secondary. Feel like people are over-rating OSU really hard, but we'll probably still lose.
ECU: W
GT: W
WMU: W
@UNC: W
@Pitt: W
Miami: W
BC: W
@Duke: W
@Wake Forest: W
UVA: W

Realistically, I think we finish something like 10-2, losing to OSU and a toss-up of one more between UNC/Miami/Pitt, but if we show improvement at OL and mild competence at QB, I have no problem at all guessing 12-0 regular season with a loss to FSU in the ACCCG and a possible Peach-level bowl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

Frinkahedron posted:

I think this is dead on. Experienced Bud Foster defense complete with the best secondary in the country vs a pretty brand new Ohio State offensive line? That'd make me drink too.

It's a fantastic game for a neutral observer.

e: Shane Beamer more or less said Virginia Tech is already prepping for this game too. They aren't going to have open scrimmages this fall either :(

Yeah, my understanding is that the offense will look absolutely nothing like it did last year, what with rather heavily upgrading the TEs/WRs/RBs/OL, so they're not showing anything. Here's hoping Brewer's a good QB1.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

TheGreyGhost posted:

Eh, brand new is a bit of a stretch. They've all had plenty of snaps in game-time. The problem is they rarely had to play together. From a talent standpoint, it's fine. They just need to be cohesive, and if they're not then this becomes a long night. That said, y'all won't be doing poo poo passing with a new quarterback in a hostile shoe against a press secondary and the best group pass rush in the nation. Your running game against ours for the game, so it'll go fast.

The homer in me says it's going to come down to depth for the most part. We have 4-5 Running backs and Braxton to run at a front 7, and we're 5-6 deep at receiver. I see it close for 3 quarters and then a quick 10-14 points in the 4th when fatigue starts to set in. But it's still going to be so ugly for the first 3 quarters that I'll be hate-watching it.

Should be interesting for sure, but our QB isn't exactly a freshman, he's a redshirt junior with game experience. Your secondary's also almost as good as Ohio's, Noah Spence is out, and we go from having 1 TE with 10 games of total career experience to 4 guys that'll actually play and be legitimate receiving threats.

Against a VT front seven that specializes in running an exotic defense with lots of stunting around gap control concepts, I can't see how 4/5 OL being new starters in their first major game isn't a near-automatic hindrance against a ridiculously fast d with a top-two in the country secondary. I still think we lose, but don't think it'll be by multiple scores.

• Locked thread