Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So I'm watching Schindlers list and you know that scene at the start where Liam Nessen is at the restaurant and trying to order some super fancy wine vintage and the water doesn't have it so he keeps asking for different ones? Well I didn't understand a word of it but it sounds sooo sophisticated and I realized, I want to be that guy! Not the war profiteer turned Jew savior part but a wine snob. I want to be that smug guy at the Applebee's who gets loudly indignant we at the 19 year old waitress when she says that they don't carry my obscure 19th century Sicilian vintage only to sigh and settle for some plebeian refreshment. Surely no woman overhearing this could possibly resist my fine taste in both beverages and facial hair! (I plan to grow out a proud Hohenzollern mustache to match)

So any advice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So I'm watching Schindlers list and you know that scene at the start where Liam Nessen is at the restaurant and trying to order some super fancy wine vintage and the water doesn't have it so he keeps asking for different ones? Well I didn't understand a word of it but it sounds sooo sophisticated and I realized, I want to be that guy! Not the war profiteer turned Jew savior part but a wine snob. I want to be that smug guy at the Applebee's who gets loudly indignant we at the 19 year old waitress when she says that they don't carry my obscure 19th century Sicilian vintage only to sigh and settle for some plebeian refreshment. Surely no woman overhearing this could possibly resist my fine taste in both beverages and facial hair! (I plan to grow out a proud Hohenzollern mustache to match)

So any advice?

become a scotch snob instead it's cheaper and you get drunker.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
cool, you just watched Sideways

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
Don't do it! Wine snobs are the worst.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Xaris posted:

I don't know what the gently caress that is.

sluggo is mad
Jan 14, 2012

Buglord

Xaris posted:

would sideways really make anyone want to be a wine snob? the bit where giamatti drinks the spit bucket is pretty offputting

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
pig vomit drinks wine and it was panned by everyone when it was in theaters, the only good thing it gave us was that episode of american dad.

sluggo is mad
Jan 14, 2012

Buglord
beer snobs are the new wine snob, op, unfortunetly there even more douchy hth

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007
just make poo poo up

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

This 2013 Merlot has any oaky, rich flavor that goes well with Hamburger Helper.

bigzak
Aug 15, 2003
dont buy the kangaroo wine that poo poo sucks i can tell you that from experience

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
you have to wear sweater vests op

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
you should become a prison wine aficiando, and make your own batches to char at wine tasting parties.

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
Just make stuff up, that's actually what all the wine snobs do. No one, not even other wine snobs, can tell the difference between actually knowing something about wine and making poo poo up.

sluggo is mad
Jan 14, 2012

Buglord

dontcareaboutname posted:

you should become a prison wine aficiando, and make your own batches to char at wine tasting parties.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

Harrower posted:

Just make stuff up, that's actually what all the wine snobs do. No one, not even other wine snobs, can tell the difference between actually knowing something about wine and making poo poo up.

apply this to anything associated with intellectual hobbies that you don't know anything about

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

OMFG FURRY posted:

apply this to anything associated with intellectual hobbies that you don't know anything about

poo poo, do it at work too, it has a fairly good chance of working!

PlantRobot
Feb 13, 2010

a fine vintage jenkem

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax
Start off with franzia and arbor mist. Move on to yellowtail. Finish with Smoking Loon Pinot Noir.

Now youre drunk.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
wine is really damned good. i used to just be a beer and whiskey person, but lately i'm on a huge wine kick. i just buy whatever looks interesting at the store, i pretty much dunno what the gently caress but it usually works out okay.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
get some two litre soda bottles fill one with some fruit snacks and moldy bread and water put a cap with a hole in it on that bottle put that bottle on its side on the top of a counter top, put some plastic tubing in the lids hole then put a second lid with a hole on the empty bottle put it on ground connect tubing, wait a bit get 10% alcohol that taste like fruit punch.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

Ginette Reno posted:

wine is really damned good. i used to just be a beer and whiskey person, but lately i'm on a huge wine kick. i just buy whatever looks interesting at the store, i pretty much dunno what the gently caress but it usually works out okay.

wine is like whiskey syrup that doesnt get you drunk unless you drink gallons of the poo poo

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Daedra posted:

wine is like whiskey syrup that doesnt get you drunk unless you drink gallons of the poo poo

get a 3 gallon bag of wine for 5 bucks at walmart, chug it.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

dontcareaboutname posted:

get a 3 gallon bag of wine for 5 bucks at walmart, chug it.

they dont sell wine at walmart in tn because alcohol is the devils brew

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
real talk: find a place that knows their wine, understands your budget, and is willing to educate you as to why they're making their recommendations

let them do the work for you and reap the rewards

E: i think you're in Mass? if so i can give you a couple of recommendations on places that will cover all your bases

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Daedra posted:

they dont sell wine at walmart in tn because alcohol is the devils brew

then make your own using the recipe i listed.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

This White Wine has notes of wine, juice, and good

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
out can stretch out the amount of wine on hand if you mix it with equal parts grape juice.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
start at the very bottom and work ur way up. dont co-opt and echo other peoples opinions and feelings about wine...and dont ever spit the wine out of ur mouth ffs i dont know why you would ever do such a thing

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
i was exoecting a giant magnum of boone farms

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Walk into a liquor store, pick up their finest Pinot Noir then raise it in the air and smash it into the ground and throw yourself down on your knees and start licking that poo poo up off the ground, if they try to wrestle you out of the store fight desperately to keep them off and keep sucking that grape juice off the floor.

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

Professor Shark posted:

This White Wine has notes of wine, juice, and good

It's good to say taste combinations that in no way sound appealing

"This pinot noir tastes of currants, tobacco, strawberries, leather and forest floor"

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Daedra posted:

yeah if im looking to get trashed its still whiskey all the way but wine is p tasty and you can get a decent buzz on it

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
The finish is smooth with a playful boldness, reminiscent of my dad finishing in my mouth.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Wine shits.

Nick Rivers
Nov 23, 2004
Get a t-shirt made that says "WINE CONNOISSEUR" on it so other wine people know you mean business.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

This Red Wine has notes of fermented grapes, red berries, awesome, and cool

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
decide that you like to drink a lot and try to mask your substance abuse behind a veneer of class, exclusivity and prestige

sounds like a pretty good time if you got the money

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010
Drink my pee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlantRobot
Feb 13, 2010

Nick Rivers posted:

Get a t-shirt made that says "WINE CONNOISSEUR" on it so other wine people know you mean business.

• Locked thread