Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zybl0re
Aug 10, 2002

I'M TOO OLD FOR THIS SHIT!

evenworse username posted:

Michael McCarron got cut from the US Junior camp I guess.

So that pick is going well.

If you keep picking good players, you'll just end up having to pay them 9 million dollars a year. It's all part of the plan.

Also just read about Dellow on twitter. This season is already shaping up to be entertaining.

edit for new page:

quote:

Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie
Dellow's site (http://www.mc79hockey.com ) ceased to be operational/accessible overnight. Dellow's landing spot believed to be EDM. #fancystats

(just pasting text, but it's okay to embed tweets here right? I'm sure I've seen it before. Or are people just taking screenshots of tweets?)

Zybl0re fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Aug 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I have a lot of issues with him taking down his blog if that's the reason why.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Haha as if that poo poo isn't all archived, nice try.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

In an effort to stop fancy stats from proving how loving lovely they are, the Oilers will hire on every fancy stats blogger as long as they take down their blog and don't blog more and yeah those reports just go in the bin there, Tyler, thanks for all your hard work you didn't post those anywhere online did you ok hahaha yeah our possession is really low thanks Ty have a good one

*shredder*

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

bewbies posted:

I don't know why but I am laughing really hard at Africa's feelings about the Jets

Apparently some Leafs fan just voted over and over saying he was from Nigeria and hated the Thrashers.

Poonerman posted:

Nerds are the hot commodity this offseason: Tyler Dellow going to Edmonton

Interesting career move for him. He's a practicing lawyer here in Toronto, so I guess he wants to transition into sports management. I can't imagine an NHL stats guy makes anywhere near as much as a Bay St. attorney, so he must have his sights set on bigger things. I figured he'd stay away from pursuing analytics professionally for that reason.

evenworse username posted:

Michael McCarron got cut from the US Junior camp I guess.

So that pick is going well.

He was terrible in the OHL from October to January. As in not even good enough to be a 4th liner for the Knights, and was only in the lineup because he was a 1st round picks and no one wants to piss off the Habs. He was MAYBE good enough to be a 3rd/4th line tweener from January 1st on. Anyone who says he's developing well or going to turn into a good crash and bang winger is out to lunch. He was a bust the day he was taken.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ThinkTank posted:

Interesting career move for him. He's a practicing lawyer here in Toronto, so I guess he wants to transition into sports management. I can't imagine an NHL stats guy makes anywhere near as much as a Bay St. attorney, so he must have his sights set on bigger things. I figured he'd stay away from pursuing analytics professionally for that reason.

That was my thinking as well. I can't imagine why the Oilers of all teams wanted to hire him. Other than to make him stop posting about how terribly they're run.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

That was my thinking as well. I can't imagine why the Oilers of all teams wanted to hire him. Other than to make him stop posting about how terribly they're run.

Wasn't it the Oilers who paid a bunch of people to start posting about how they liked the direction management had taken on HFBoards a couple years back?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ThinkTank posted:

Wasn't it the Oilers who paid a bunch of people to start posting about how they liked the direction management had taken on HFBoards a couple years back?

Sounds about right.

On the note of the site going down and why it bothers me - a lot of these stat guys complain loudly about the lack of access to data from the NHL and from individual NHL teams. Until they get hired. Then you never hear from them again. It seems somewhat (incredibly) hypocritical.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

On the note of the site going down and why it bothers me - a lot of these stat guys complain loudly about the lack of access to data from the NHL and from individual NHL teams. Until they get hired. Then you never hear from them again. It seems somewhat (incredibly) hypocritical.

EXTRY EXTRY READ ALL ABOUT IT

Internet blogger rants about open journalism until someone shows up with a paycheque

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ThinkTank posted:

EXTRY EXTRY READ ALL ABOUT IT

Internet blogger rants about open journalism until someone shows up with a paycheque

Fair enough. It's still allowed to bug me.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

hahaha yeah this was like 6 months ago though and it was one of the funniest things I've ever seen on the internet.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

New Buffalo thirds also leaked

edit: the head/slug/sword triumvirate should be somebody's avatar

DOOMocrat fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 5, 2014

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
I get the feeling we're going to start hearing about fancystats in a lot more than Buffalo's between period shows this season. The Jackets were tweeting about Corsi and Fenwick the other day and it's definitely become the new thing for beat reporters to ask GMs

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Jordan7hm posted:

Sounds about right.

Teams are hiring them to try to get a competitive advantage, I'm sure they're not allowed to talk about whatever they're up to.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Thufir posted:

Teams are hiring them to try to get a competitive advantage, I'm sure they're not allowed to talk about whatever they're up to.

Yeah, it's kinda hard to blame the blogger when their contract was contingent on what must be a massive NDA. I mean sure they took the job but it's hard to fault someone for taking a stab at their dream

If he actually has to retroactively take down his blogposts from before he was hired that's kinda bullshit, though

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
His contract probably entails rights to the contents of his blog.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Thufir posted:

I realize why they're not speaking. I think they're reinforcing the closed door, old boys culture that they constantly complain about, so that they can get behind the doors.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

I realize why they're not speaking. I think they're reinforcing the closed door, old boys culture that they constantly complain about, so that they can get behind the doors.

It's hard to blame them. If someone offered me an in into the NHL old boy's club I'd turn my back on everything I've ever said or believed in before. DRAFT FOR SIZE! IT'S BEST TO INTIMIDATE YOUR OPPONENTS THROUGH HITTING! SHOT QUALITY IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN SHOT QUALITY! IT'S ABOUT PLAYING THE GAME THE RIGHT WAY AND WANTING IT MORE!

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Jordan7hm posted:

I think that's just how lots of businesses work though. If he had come up with some unique way of doing legal data analysis while working as a lawyer he wouldn't have been blogging about that either.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ThinkTank posted:

It's hard to blame them. If someone offered me an in into the NHL old boy's club I'd turn my back on everything I've ever said or believed in before. DRAFT FOR SIZE! IT'S BEST TO INTIMIDATE YOUR OPPONENTS THROUGH HITTING! SHOT QUALITY IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN SHOT QUALITY! IT'S ABOUT PLAYING THE GAME THE RIGHT WAY AND WANTING IT MORE!

Given what sports management pays, there is zero chance I would do this.

e: There are totally people who blog about their work.

Opening up the analytics to the public is a net positive for organizations because the public will work on the information for free, validate your findings (or invalidate them), and improve on them. You don't have to give them everything, but pulling everything back is just stupid. And that's also what these guys all say until they get hired.

Analysis has limited value in and of itself. Identifying what analysis is good and then implementing the results of that analysis has absurd value. That's where you get your competitive edge.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Aug 5, 2014

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

oilers are back baby

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

Wayne Gretzky posted:

oilers are back baby

...and badder than ever?

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I can also imagine that taking down the blog is a concession to the fact that more than half the articles, the site header, the logo, and all of the comments were devoted to making GBS threads all over members of the organization and team past/present. A lot of people are going to be looking Dellow up for the first time and I don't think anybody wants the attention drawn towards the caustic side of that blog over the good work he did.

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

Dellow is going to tell Eakins to reintroduce the swarm defence

Yes! Yes!

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

.Spec posted:

...and badder than ever?

Oilers don't finish bottom 5 in years with strong draft classes.

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

The neat thing about this is that Dellow's clearly been avoiding making GBS threads on certain members of the staff for the past year. On a certain level, especially because he's such an abrasive dick to talk to, it appears that his criticism has been blanket-style, but for most of the past season he's been weirdly positive about Eakins. Wonder why ha ha

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Wayne Gretzky posted:

The neat thing about this is that Dellow's clearly been avoiding making GBS threads on certain members of the staff for the past year. On a certain level, especially because he's such an abrasive dick to talk to, it appears that his criticism has been blanket-style, but for most of the past season he's been weirdly positive about Eakins. Wonder why ha ha

its because dallas eakins is Very Good

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Congrats to the nerd

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

a false posted:

its because dallas eakins is Very Good

Yeah he's insanely Bad rear end

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

quote:

Stephen Whyno ‏@SWhyno 2m

#Flyers D Kimmo Timonen diagnosed with blood clots in right leg and both lungs, team says return to play TBD.

So who is their #1 D now?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I wish Boston had a cool bad rear end coach who made the team eat spinach wraps all the time or whatever instead of the Bill Dauterive lookin motherfucker we have now

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Mind_Taker posted:

Braydon "Career Number 2 Defenseman On A Poor Defensive Team" Coburn

Don't ask who our number 3 is

That's not a question I want to answer

e: also please don't die Kimmo :ohdear:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Mind_Taker posted:

uh, wow, goddamn.

e: MacDonald

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Mind_Taker posted:

Jesus what's that gonna be, like $10m+ on LTIR with him and Pronger?

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say
the flyers ltir is one heck of a good defense

too bad about the flyers actual defense being putrid

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Levitate posted:

uh, wow, goddamn.

e: MacDonald

the top pairing is going to be Coburn and MacDonald lmao

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Flyers' top 6 D are Streit, MacDonald, Coburn, Schenn, Grossman, Schultz

Flyers' cap hit for those D is 23M

Jesus Christ

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

So which of Diaz/Del Zotto/McBain does Philly try to get?

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

grack posted:

Flyers' top 6 D are Streit, MacDonald, Coburn, Schenn, Grossman, Schultz

Flyers' cap hit for those D is 23M

Jesus Christ

I literally forgot we got Nick Schultz, lmao

So yeah, in terms of skill, Coburn is now our best defenseman, Streit is probably number 2, MacDonald is maybe number 3... this is painful

Who's ready to rush Gotstobehere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Flyers Blueline, 2014-15:

Coburn-MacDonald
Grossmann-Streit
A revolving door of lovely or too young defenseman

e: lmao, just realized that Grossmann is actually in the top 4 defense for this team for basically the first time since the team started using him as one

• Locked thread