Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Congrats to the nerd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I wish Boston had a cool bad rear end coach who made the team eat spinach wraps all the time or whatever instead of the Bill Dauterive lookin motherfucker we have now

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I think some of the advanced stats are interesting but I've given up on going out of my way to learn them. Its great that different teams are embracing them and trying to use them to ice a more competitive team, but I dont think its particularly important for me to know or care about.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
They should just do the world cup thing and give the refs watches that vibrate when the puck crosses the goal line. I think that was hooked up to HD cameras too.

And give them the cans of dissolving foam just for fun too.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Yes, sensors in everything please

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Patrice Bergeron has a cup, two selkes, is a member of the triple gold club (including two Olympic golds), and is a virtual lock to be the Bruins next captain after Chara retires. He's 29 too and I think he could conceivably hit 750-800 points before his career is done (he's at 495 now). I dont know if he's 100% for sure in, but he's a likely candidate especially if he racks up some more tropies. To be honest of the current Bruins I think he's more likely than Chara to be a HOFer.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Lehtinen wasnt as good as Bergeron is, and he also didn't win virtually every major competition in hockey.

Like I'm not saying he's a lock but he's 29 and has:
WJC Gold
WC Gold
Spengler Cup (lol) Gold
Stanley Cup
2x Olympic Gold
2x Selke

Its not inconceivable that he wins another Selke or two, probably at least one more Olympic Gold if he makes the team again, possibly another Stanley Cup, and if he remains a productive player he should end up with a decent career point total. I dont think you rack up that much hardware and not make it to the HHOF, although I dont think he's gonna be a first ballot guy either.

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Aug 7, 2014

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

DOOMocrat posted:

Bergie is better for sure but Jere would have won more Selkies than he did if he wasn't a winger.

Yeah probably. Jere was a great two way guy.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Jordan7hm posted:

Kane is a guy who I would put on the same level as Perry. He's got the team stuff and he's got the Conn Smythe.

I think Kane is probably more of a lock than Perry if only because he's an American. By the time he retires he's going to be arguably the best/most successful American-born player and that type of thing would probably give him a boost towards getting into the Hall.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

mennoknight posted:

I get you're arguing for argument's sake and using HHOF rules, but Jarome is my boo and he is probably the most locky of the locks who's still playing.

Nah that's Jagr for sure. Then Iggy, who rules and is awesome.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I still maintain that Bergeron has an okay shot based on hardware alone because the Hall cares about that stuff a lot, which is an actual valid point that Paulocast made

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
So far all I want this season is for Lucic to hit someone through the glass again

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

eXXon posted:

Preferably himself.

That's still bad rear end as hell, so I would accept it even if its not as cool as injuring some weakling Maple Leaf or Canadiens player

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Mook made a deece post

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

a false posted:

i make really good posts all the time. check them out some time. this is one of them btw

I enjoy your posts

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I enjoy haggerty's articles. They are delightfully stupid.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Lots of people dont like bettman but I think overall hes done pretty good. Expansion and outdoor games have significantly increased hockeys popularity in non traditional areas (just look at all the American prospects coming from Texas and California for example) and the league is more profitable than ever. On the other hand, he looks and sounds like a weasel.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Yeah its like New York is a gigantic market or something

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Jimmy Hayes sucks. Kevin Hayes is good.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Zamboni Jesus posted:

nope. maybe if he's lucky he'll find a role on someone's fourth line

Do you think he's only a product of Gaudreau or something? Because you know they didn't play the whole season together. He had 20 points in 15ish games away from Gaudreau.

He's a good size and he can play physical if need be, but he has more of a finesse game than his brother. He has the skills to be a lot better than a fourth liner and physically hes already NHL ready.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Zamboni Jesus posted:

he didn't do poo poo until his last year when he had a massive point jump. he's probably good enough to eke out a bottom six career but he's not exciting or someone i'd be rooting for my team to sign

He had 25 points in 27 games as a junior before suffering serious injuries he rebounded from. Before that he was an underclassman with older and more experienced players like Kreider and Atkinson on the roster and he still had 42 points in 75 games his freshman/sophomore years. Also, due to injuries, he had to play defense for BC for a while.

I'm not saying the guys a star and he's going to dominate or anything, but he's a lot better than you give him credit for.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

ThinkTank posted:

Hayes is closer to Shawn Matthias than JVR. Then again he's not chopped liver. He's an ungainly skater (weirdly upright - it's odd to watch) and a fairly slow deker but not slow and seems to have decent hockey IQ from what I've seen/read. His bread and butter if skating straight up the middle and sorta stickhandling around guys. It was effective in college, but JG was the real star on that line and noone questions it. I can't really think of an NHL player he reminds me of, Taylor Pyatt maybe but a bit more physical.

He needs some coaching defensively, but he could maybe be a 2nd line winger. More likely he's an okay checker on a middle of the road team.

This is a pretty fair assessment I think. In college he was very good at just physically forcing his way through defenses through a mixture of size and finesse, which obviously isn't going to fly in the NHL. With some coaching on most teams he could maybe be a 2nd liner or a reliable 3rd. Just out of curiosity, what did you guys think of Wheeler before he signed with Boston?

Or he could just sign with Calgary and then they'd have the whole line. There's no way they'd be as dominant as they were in college, but it'd still be fun to see if they could replicate their success on some level.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
well I disagree with you guys re: Kevin Hayes. Personally I think he will sign with Calgary to play with Gaudreau and Arnold, there's likely a lot of interest from both parties in reuniting that trio. If it happens I think he will be relatively successful, but probably nothing super special. Plus Calgary's RW depth chart has David Jones and Brian McGrattan taking up the top spots so he would get playing time there regardless.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

ThinkTank posted:

I'm not disagreeing with you I like Hayes as a prospect, but I wouldn't call him a sure fire top-6 guy or anything. Then again I would never have predicted Wheeler would touch 60pts, so shows what I know.

Hayes is likely going to sign with whoever offers him the most NHL ice time too I guess, so you're probably not far off.

Yeah. It's really hard to predict how good a lot of NCAA players who end up becoming free agents will be, to be honest. Wheeler is a great example of that. Most people don't get a whole lot of exposure to them just because college hockey isn't really televised outside of local markets so I think sometimes it's easy for people to make assumptions, for better or worse, based on the stat line and the two or three articles they've read about them.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Aphrodite posted:

Blake Wheeler is only good because he's a player Boston didn't keep.

That's the secret to success generally: Leave Boston. Especially if you're a first round pick.

Not so fast, Zach Hamill.

Joe Colborne, Matt Lashoff, Mark Stuart, Hannu Toivonen...etc

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Zamboni Jesus posted:

signing a whole line to play together because they were successful in college is an extreme version of the kind of thinking that leads to things like tyler bozak's contract or chris kunitz on the canadian olympic team

yeah that's true but Calgary can't be much worse and "successful in college" is actually really underselling how good they were. Individually you have to go back to Kariya to find a player as dominant as Gaudreau was this past season, and the entire line finished top 5 in the nation in scoring (technically Arnold tied for 5th but whatever). As a line they played together for exactly 26 games, and in those 26 games they combined for 54 goals and 70 assists. It's not like they were playing slouches either, Hockey East is a very very good conference. I agree that signing an entire line that did well together at a lower level is probably a dumb move, but the chemistry they had and the results are so extreme that in this case it's not as bad of an idea as it might usually be.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Jordan7hm posted:

Hey, I think Hayes is worth a flyer (he's as close to a free prospect as you can find and would be an RFA after the contract, so why the hell not?). But that's true for most teams, not just Calgary. I just can't see Hartley buying into the idea of playing three rookies together because of their college success unless they had immediate NHL success.

It's still a good idea for Calgary to sign him, but who he went to school with is a pretty small part of that. (The fact he's a 1st round NHL pick who put up big college numbers - regardless of the factors - is a big part of that.)

Yeah I'm not suggesting he would or should throw them together right away, but I could see them eventually trying it out at some point if they got all three, hell maybe even in preseason.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

JawKnee posted:

wouldn't you say this is (somewhat) related to hockey becoming more 'safety' focused? Less fights, higher glass, no head shots etc. or do you think they're unrelated?

also 7. Dollar. Seats. :suicide:

Considering how much the American south loves football, NASCAR, and combat sports, I don't think safety is a huge concern in the sports they play/watch. Increased exposure around the country isn't likely to change those attitudes either. I'm not sure if this post directly relates to what you're getting at though.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
The Caps will be better, it would be hard not to be, but they're still pretty average at best overall. They didn't do anything to address their problems at forward and I guess the defense is better but its overpaid. Trotz is good.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
getting a sports themed tattoo is insanely stupid, why would you get a corporation tattooed on your body? dumb.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
its basically the same thing as getting a tattoo of the mcdonalds arches because of how much you love their mcnuggets

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Every major (1mil+ population) metro in Canada already has a team. Why would the NHL give a team to Hamilton, a metro area of 750k, when a place like the Seattle metro area has 3.6 million and allegedly wants a team?

Anyway congrats to the Islanders and Toronto fans on having good things happen today.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

eXXon posted:

It's not just 750k Canadians anyways, there are probably as many willing commuters within an hour's drive/transit of Hamilton as there are in the Seattle metropolitan area.

Well sure but then you'd have to also count the 7 million people in the state of Washington, and I bet a lot of them would travel to support their team too.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Jordan7hm posted:

If you can't tell the difference Southern Ontario and the state of Washington when it comes to willingness to spend money on hockey, I think there's something wrong with you man.

I'm mostly playing devils advocate here.

Anyway, Seattle averages over 40k fans a game for MLS soccer and they arent even that good. The area is hungry for sports teams in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Those videos are bad rear end

• Locked thread