Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say

A Typical Goon posted:

A 24 year old, top 3 kind of guy, close to a career 30 point pace and his contract bought 4 UFA years. What's the problem?

he's no brooks orpik

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

i like how the bruins are randomly hated around the united states.

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

some of those states probably only have like 2 fans total so their powers are great at skewing polls

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

the flyers ltir is one heck of a good defense

too bad about the flyers actual defense being putrid

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

Koopa Kid posted:

Yeah weird that a team that thought trading for Mark loving Fraser was a swell idea would add an analytical mind to the organization, what with all their success in identifying talent.

andrew ference though

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

Spamtron7000 posted:

Ok that's fine. Even so I think it's fair to assume that advanced stats have at least started to affect the market for some players. Maybe it's possible Nonis wanted Clarkson for other reasons but his advanced stats increased his demand around the league which helped to drive his asking price higher? It's just a hypothesis. I think advanced stats have already driven demand, which drives prices. And in the future I'm sure that it will be the case and then people will just start calling players who shoot too much Puck Hogs again.

it hasn't happened and even if it did it would just mean that undervalued players become overvalued while a different set of players become undervalued and smart teams adjust. basically nobody who isn't an idiot doesn't think you should take a player based solely on their corsi stats without any context at all, it's why dellow spent the last year watching zone entries and writing about faceoffs.

e: my impression of pouliot with the canadiens was that he wasn't very good. he is kind of the perfect test case of fancystats versus the eye test.

e2: also how are we now re-writing history to say that clarkson was signed because of his fancystats when all the fancystats people viciously mocked the signing when it happened

Zamboni Jesus fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Aug 6, 2014

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

Spamtron7000 posted:

The teams who are hiring advanced stats experts obviously think they are important. So what is the value in bringing that type of element into your organization if it's not in trying to implement advanced stats into determining your team's composition? The more teams do this, the more Corsi and Fenwick will drive demand for certain players. Higher demand will equal higher price. I don't think that idea is anything too controversial.

nobody is saying it is, i just don't understand why this is a bad thing. if they become overvalued than smart teams will just adjust the metrics they use and find something else, which has happened in baseball after the big money teams like the yankees and red sox jumped in on on base percentage etc.

e: and shooting loads sure has helped ovechkin's corsi out, imagine how bad it would be if he didn't shoot so much?

Zamboni Jesus fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Aug 6, 2014

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

fyi if people want to watch some actual hockey here is a stream of the canada/russia u20 friendly: http://stats.hockeycanada.ca/game/show/7838018?subseason=165586&referrer=1253933&referrer=1253933

e: warning the pbp is really bad

Zamboni Jesus fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Aug 7, 2014

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

I'd say a coked up Dave Semenko threatening to jump you in the parking lot after the game and throw your corpse into Saskatchewan River if you looked at Wayner funny had a bit more more to do with it.

enforcers work

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

Wayne Gretzky posted:

They did back when hockey used to be worth watching instead of all this cry baby euro advanced stat corsi dorsi baby have a cwoncwussion poo poo we have now

the quality of play in the 80s was actually pretty lovely because nobody could skate or play defense and goalies were awful

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

shocking that fans of teams that were good in the 80s and garbage ever since would pine for the 80s. hockey has changed, but that doesn't make it worse and advanced stats have nothing to do with the removal of enforcers or the recognition that concussions are bad.

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

brawls are entertaining, but staged fights between enforcers aren't. the former were more of a thing 20-30 years ago and i feel like the staged fights are really a product of the 90s.

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

mennoknight posted:

I don't pine for my team's success I pine to be goddamned entertained

bewbies posted:

the NHL was more entertaining 20 years ago and i'm normally the guy who makes fun of people for saying X was better 20 years ago

i dunno watch the series between the hawks and kings from this past playoffs and tell me that it wasn't really entertaining

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

mennoknight posted:

Everyone please take 2 hours to watch the video http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=138830 here today and then say if you like today's hockey more than this so that if you do I can block you and know that I totally ignore your opinions for the rest of my life

what is interesting about watching games from the 80s is how much less physical it actually was compared to today with regards to things like wantonly finishing every check

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

Regardless of the quality of goaltending, the advancement of defensive systems, the intensity of the hitting, the continued health of players or anything else, I miss the high scoring and would like for it to return.

most of the "solutions" to decreased goal scoring are things like "call more penalties" or "make the nets bigger" though and i think those ideas ultimately do little to improve the quality of play. constant penalties just break the flow of the game constantly while bigger nets means the game is the same as it was but you get a few more goals.

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

i guess i don't see how the same game as it is except with more goals is an improved game

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

alex ovechkin posted:

“I am very happy that I didn’t become the worst in the plus/minus category. I had minus-35. Steve Ott and Alex Edler jumped ahead of me. Can you imagine scoring 51 goals and getting minus-40? I would have made history!”

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

wasn't it like cold medicine?

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

i bet nobody lost their stanley cup tv while fishing

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

evenworse username posted:

Because you were wondering, Mathieu Darche says PK Subban should be the Habs' next captain.

i don't care because captain is pretty irrelevant. it won't be pk though, it'll be plekanec or markov. pk might get an A though since gorges was traded away and there isn't anyone left on the team who is obvious and likely to get significant ice time.

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

the only reason to give desharnais a letter is french

which means it is pretty much a sure thing

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

Paulocaust posted:

what about me? can I be a good poster

we're all bad posters

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

if molson was going to overrule bergevin on the subban deal, it would've been nice if he'd done so a few months ago and saved us all a lot of pain

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Yo Leafs Argument Stadium my friends ditched me so I'm stuck in Toronto with nothing to do for several hours. What should I do? I'm hanging out in a cafe on Bloor near Bathurst

go into honest ed's because you'll get lost and you'll end up wandering around for a couple hours trying to figure out how to escape

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

contemplate how the fair trade coffee shop i assume you're at (the green beanery) is owned by a guy who uses the proceeds to fund climate change denial and how weird that is

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

there are actually really logical reasons why rob ford has success despite being an awful mayor and person, but this is not the place to discuss toronto politics

in vaguely hockey related news, elmer lach has informed dave stubbes that the found supposed lost stanley cup ring isn't his

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

Ummmm. If he's able to get an extra 100 million out of somebody it's worth losing 10.

its wang though so he'll just lose the $10m and then end up having to sell the team for less than this would have been.

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

Misanthrope posted:

Apparently Rogers blew their load on the new NHL TV deal and is in cost cutting mode.

So anyone wishing for an improved Rogers broadcast should probably start at hoping the games are still in HD.

at least i don't think it is actually physically possible for their broadcasts to look any cheaper than they already do

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

i mute the game or change the channel during intermissions, problem solved

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

10 to 15 years ago when cbc still had cfl rights they had a strike and aired games without any play-by-play or studio show. just the game and the crowd noise.

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

Rule of thumb is that, for whole articles behind a paywall, excerpts and paraphrase are good but full transcription is out. I imagine that that same rule applies to for-sale copies of magazine articles.

the official legal rule is usually 30% of the total content at least with academic journals and books iirc

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

the ice bucket challenge thing might be dumb but wouldn't we all like to dump a bucket of ice water on gary bettman's head

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=49&id=629400&cmpid=nhl-twt

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

has anyone challenged that player who couldn't do a pullup at the combine yet just to see if he can lift the bucket of water over his head or not?

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

Vincent Van Goat posted:

I just started to get into NHL hockey this past year, so I was wondering what Betteman has done to make himself so reviled. I'm not defending the guy, just curious. I'm assuming the lockout last year had something to do with it.

also the lockout in 2004-5

and the lockout in 1994-5

the jets and nordiques both left under his watch while southern expansion happened also which gets him a lot of hate from canadians though the former wasn't really his fault

also look at him

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

none of the lockouts were a mess-up from the owners point-of-view

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

someone should buy stats.hockeyanalysis.com next because the current site design is possibly the least functional website ever made

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

Spamtron7000 posted:

Hopefully this means I don't have to read about advanced stats anymore.

i can see why you would hate stats that inform you that your favorite team is a poorly constructed mess run by morons and will continue to be bad for the foreseeable future

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

kevin hayes sucks do people actually want him on their team?

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Jimmy Hayes sucks. Kevin Hayes is good.

nope. maybe if he's lucky he'll find a role on someone's fourth line

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Do you think he's only a product of Gaudreau or something? Because you know they didn't play the whole season together. He had 20 points in 15ish games away from Gaudreau.

He's a good size and he can play physical if need be, but he has more of a finesse game than his brother. He has the skills to be a lot better than a fourth liner and physically hes already NHL ready.

he didn't do poo poo until his last year when he had a massive point jump. he's probably good enough to eke out a bottom six career but he's not exciting or someone i'd be rooting for my team to sign

• Locked thread