Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
August NHL N/V: Ughhhhhhhhh are we there yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
August is so bad even the year-round NFL hype machine can only say "well don't worry you'll get real football next month! Get excited!"

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Chairman Wao posted:

I was driving to work the other day and the local sports radio station was on commercial break, so I turned over to ESPN radio.

The host just said "Football's back baby" for a minute and a half.

In other news hail satan and Jim Nill.

I got to explain the year round ESPN Foo-baw hype machine to some coworkers today, since Sportscenter was on in the deli we went to. ESPN has this down to a fuckin' science, including how many times you're allowed to say "baby" in a 30 minute segment

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Hand Knit posted:

And, because you will ask, that is Wyoming that apparently hates Ottawa.

I'm incredibly happy the Penguins are the most hated team in PA

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

CDX posted:

This season's playoffs and gently caress Corey Perry's spearing spree probably had something to do with that.

They were also in the same division for years, and the Ducks have definitely been the more successful team lately

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
I get the feeling we're going to start hearing about fancystats in a lot more than Buffalo's between period shows this season. The Jackets were tweeting about Corsi and Fenwick the other day and it's definitely become the new thing for beat reporters to ask GMs

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Thufir posted:

Teams are hiring them to try to get a competitive advantage, I'm sure they're not allowed to talk about whatever they're up to.

Yeah, it's kinda hard to blame the blogger when their contract was contingent on what must be a massive NDA. I mean sure they took the job but it's hard to fault someone for taking a stab at their dream

If he actually has to retroactively take down his blogposts from before he was hired that's kinda bullshit, though

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Mind_Taker posted:

So who is their #1 D now?

Braydon "Career Number 2 Defenseman On A Poor Defensive Team" Coburn

Don't ask who our number 3 is

That's not a question I want to answer

e: also please don't die Kimmo :ohdear:

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Levitate posted:

uh, wow, goddamn.

e: MacDonald

the top pairing is going to be Coburn and MacDonald lmao

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

grack posted:

Flyers' top 6 D are Streit, MacDonald, Coburn, Schenn, Grossman, Schultz

Flyers' cap hit for those D is 23M

Jesus Christ

I literally forgot we got Nick Schultz, lmao

So yeah, in terms of skill, Coburn is now our best defenseman, Streit is probably number 2, MacDonald is maybe number 3... this is painful

Who's ready to rush Gotstobehere

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Flyers Blueline, 2014-15:

Coburn-MacDonald
Grossmann-Streit
A revolving door of lovely or too young defenseman

e: lmao, just realized that Grossmann is actually in the top 4 defense for this team for basically the first time since the team started using him as one

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Mind_Taker posted:

I feel like the Flyers should be bottom-of-the-Metro bad this year, but I felt the same way last year and they made the playoffs.

The Metro has a really hot race to the bottom, pretty much any team outside of Pittsburgh and NYR could plausibly make it into the draft lottery

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Come on Islanders, trade! Tavares-Giroux down the middle!

i would become an Islanders fan

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Rotten Cookies posted:

Man, I want MDZ to do well. He was on the up for a while in NY, but he just sorta... lost it. You could see him making weird stretch passes seemingly thinking "C'mon, Mike, you can still do this... awwwww gently caress." I feel bad for the dude.

My dad has a Rangers MDZ jersey, I would need to steal it from him, lmao

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Mike_V posted:

Jordan Leopold has the experience to help replace Kimmo. C'mon, Hexy, he only makes $2.25M this season!

Sure, just take this Vinny off our hands

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Reverend Sub-Zero posted:

Holy gently caress :ohdear: Kimmo. AMac47 to the rescue!!!!

Such a great gif

Ginette Reno posted:

How the gently caress do you get blood clots in your lungs? Is Kimmo roiding?

After chemo doctors were certain I had a pulmonary embolism based on how my blood oxygen plummeted at night but when they made me breath marker gas and x-rayed my lungs for a picture there was nothing to be found

It's not really related, but hey, Kimmo sounds an awful lot like Chemo

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Fancystats like Fenwick and Corsi are great and also really easy to understand, just poorly presented because they've been almost exclusively the domain of unpaid bloggers who have no reason to make it more accessible. They are predictive to an extent, but humans can't really properly conceptualize what "predictive" actually means intuitively (when it comes down to it, something either happens or it doesn't, it's not natural to really consider the probability that that thing happened or didn't). They are also fallible, just like traditional stats. +/- is the obvious one, but even poo poo like GAA and Goals For, all of which are highly dependent on context (is a player's corsi being inflated by his teammates, is a goalie playing behind an awful, awful team, is this player being given incredibly easy minutes and does he have a crazy above average shot%?)

Now, there are more complicated applications of fancystats, like those bubble graphs everyone loves to hate, but imo Corsi and Fenwick are at least as reasonable stats as pretty much anything nhl.com tracks in its Stats section

e:

Levitate posted:

On the other hand it leads to a bunch of people who don't watch the players then saying they're basically experts and know everything about all those players because they read some stats on extra skater

this is also completely true but that's more about personal hubris

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

ThinkTank posted:

They also act like pricks most of the time, get all whiny about "OLD GUARD" and imagine themselves on some cutting edge of sports interpretation on the verge of rising up and destroying the old NHL czarist regime. It's really annoying and many of the valid points they make get lost in the publicity generated by the twitter flame wars with Steve Simmmons they get involved with.

People (particularly sports fans where emotion gets mixed with odds) get easily suckered into gambler's fallacy, small sample size and confirmation bias. The Leafs could conceivably beat the LA Kings in a seven game hockey series, analytics simply state that if you played that same series a hundred times the Kings would win more often than they lost.

Oh yeah, there are definitely some people who basically lord the fact that they understand these stats over others, and that really just ends up giving ammunition to anti-fancystats people

And pretty much, yeah

Jordan7hm posted:

All data is a factual statement of past events.

Yes but basically the entire point of science is using the past to predict the future so I'm not sure what you're getting at there

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Stickarts posted:

The point of science is to come up with something to help my moob sweat not stink so much.

yes, and you form a hypothesis that based on honey's sweet scent, perhaps it can cancel out your awful moob stank. Then you run a trial, collect data (based on events that are now in the past), and come to the conclusion that your moobs do in fact smell sweet but that when mixed with moob stank it's more of a sickening sweet, and you totally ruined like half your shirts. And based on this you are now able to predictively say that attempts to use honey as a moob deodorizer in the future will fail

My phd was in moob sweat so it's kind of a sticking point

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Spamtron7000 posted:

The long-term problem with fancy stats based on shot attempts is that agents and players aren't loving stupid. You're already seeing bad contracts getting handed out to players based on their Corsi events. This behavior will lead to players stupidly firing pucks at the net in order to pad their fancystats and to agents encouraging them to do so (this is assuming that we're all naive and half the league doesn't already do this). Shot-based advanced stats are already approaching the end of their useful lifetime and everyone who is just jumping on the bandwagon has already missed out on the value.

You're also seeing Brooks Orpik 5.5/5 based on Grit And Intangibles. I don't think we've gone full on into the Age of Fancystats just yet, which is why I was saying it'll be interesting to see if the NHL itself starts running primers of corsi or mentioning it in broadcasts. Once that happens, that's going to be when agents start telling players to pad their fancystats

It's also worth noting that corsi itself only exists as an attempt to quantify possession, because unlike in soccer, in hockey it's much more difficult to say "this team has held the puck for this amount of time." In order to take a garbage point shot to pad your own fancystats your team still needs to have the puck in the first place

e: also, kind of just curious, but can you cite some examples of GMs saying they secured (overpaid) players because they drive possession? The only one I know for sure is Stralman, who really just played the market well as one of the few available UFA d-men who wasn't Brooks Orpik

Vicas fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Aug 6, 2014

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

This is astute. A player's value being cut in half from his last contract is just not the way things go when talking about a Cup-winning veteran with a good reputation around the league. GM's often pay for experience and intangibles and wouldn't tell a guy like Orpik, "well you're garbage now."

Yeah, and in a league with 30 teams all it takes is 1 GM willing to pay it. If you're lucky enough to get 2 you can spin up a bidding war. But the point is I don't think we're at the point where fancystats have an undue pull on players and the contracts that they're earning

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
I think using the Devils as an example of fancystats not being totally accurate sort of misses the point. They aren't totally predictive, just like every single other stat in the NHL is not totally predictive. But they are still pretty good at predicting regular season standings, given the fact that the Devils seem to be the only major aberration people point out

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

ThinkTank posted:

This increases the cost of a puck from a few bucks to (probably) hundreds of dollars each. I'm sure the NHL isn't keen to spend $3000 a game on pucks fired into the crowd when a few HD cameras at each arena usually does the trick.

Well they could have a special bucket of Game Pucks but that would probably still be pretty expensive over the course of a season

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Forget it, Jakes, it's Paulocaust

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Paulocaust posted:

You're right, I'm dumb for arguing that the idiot selection committee that wouldn't let Pat Burns in until he died and has a storied history of voting players in based on individual awards and team success would see Corey Perry as more deserving than similar players who haven't won as much as him in half the time.

Mmm, yes, I see, that's exactly what you've been arguing this whole time

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

a false posted:

to be fair there really aren't a lot of other contenders for that honor in nhl history. we've only had russians for 25 years and even from the beginning they've disproportionately been forwards

as is their cultural wont :ussr:

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

DOOMocrat posted:

You know that gene study they did on Ozzy Osbourne to figure out how the gently caress he survived? I wanna know how the hell he managed a pack and a half a day along with close to 30 minutes a night some nights. He's got alveoli as big as grapefruits or something.

Is this a real study? I hope they did Lemmy from Motörhead too

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

xzzy posted:

It's the busiest the thread has been in weeks, when I got up this morning I figured some big contract or trade had been made and everyone was blowing up about it.

But nope, it's just more "who's the best" chat, things sports fans love to waste oxygen and electrons debating.

It's August, this is the best you're gonna get

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

ElwoodCuse posted:

everything in sports that is voted on is stupid

democracy is a flawed idea at best

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

DOOMocrat posted:

As a fan of a team that saw success in the hook and hold/dead puck era I say it was swell and fun and entertaining and basically the best.

well if we're going by that metric 1974 and 75 are the only years entertaining hockey was ever played

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

DOOMocrat posted:

I don't know dude if I have to hear about how good/bad Ontarian town of 50,000 is one more time I'm going to ventilate my skull. HHoF it is, then.

Never fear, your skull already comes with plenty of ventilation!

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Spamtron7000 posted:

One effort post every 9129 posts really isn't all that great.

To be fair I've made like 5 in 17228

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

eXXon posted:

Thanks buddy, I won't even ask if you found it funny or not.

it was pretty funny, def A-tier joke

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Hi guys how about some realignment chat http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2014/8/7/5976075/ahl-west-echl-chl-realignment-minor-league-hockey

Well okay, more of a theorycrafting "what if you gave me total control over the AHL/ECHL/CHL and let me completely change league and affiliation all willy nilly" but it's an interesting enough read for August

I especially like his proposal because it screws Edmonton

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

quote:

"I saw something shiny, and that was the bottom of the ring," he said in French.

This is some professional writing right here

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Yeah tbh the relationship was never gonna last if he couldn't get past that, better to sever

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Zamboni Jesus posted:

there are actually really logical reasons why rob ford has success despite being an awful mayor and person, but this is not the place to discuss toronto politics

in vaguely hockey related news, elmer lach has informed dave stubbes that the found supposed lost stanley cup ring isn't his

The plot thickens

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Pleads posted:

Biznasty just went nuclear on the ALS ice bucket challenge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XOgsIAUpxI

This is really dumb and wonderful, no one is gonna top this

and he actually provided a link and an explanation of what the gently caress he was doing, bravo

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Kyrosiris posted:

It's funny, because some guy started giving him poo poo about "so how many cases of ALS did this cure?" on Twitter and someone immediately chimed in that donations to ALS research are up over eight thousand percent compared to the same timeframe last year, which is absolutely mental.

Also that video is loving ridiculous. Is he even real? :allears:

Oh yeah, for all the cynicism something like this can easily stir up (and it's always worth being skeptical), the ALS association made over $168,000 last week

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2014/08/08/ice-bucket-challenge-leads-to-major-surge-in-donations-to-als-association/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah but Mook has the best PPGD.

i feel like while my production is lower it's still quite impressive, and my shot quality is far higher

• Locked thread