Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

Germany has solved the OT problem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDGas4YWRHs

Bigger nets, no stick, a strange oversized puck that appears to be inflated somehow.

We did this at practice for a while until the inevitable happened and someone got kicked in the back of the leg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I don't know why but I am laughing really hard at Africa's feelings about the Jets

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

Wasn't it the Oilers who paid a bunch of people to start posting about how they liked the direction management had taken on HFBoards a couple years back?

hahaha yeah this was like 6 months ago though and it was one of the funniest things I've ever seen on the internet.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Paulocaust posted:

Also, what happened to Justin Schultz? I didn't watch as much NHL as I usually do last year becaus Carlyle and Nonis have made me hate hockey and I even missed Leafs games for the first time in like a decade. Can I laugh at him for being a bust yet

He'd be really good if he played on a better team as a 3/4 guy who runs the power play and gets ~22 minutes a night against weaker opponents (aka Kevin Shattenkirk) but he's looked pretty overwhelmed by what the Oilers want him to do so far which is to play tough defensive minutes because the rest of their defensemen are offensively bad.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Good god people, Ovechkin could have retired 2 years ago and would have been a first ballot guy.

Also he absolutely is, already, in the top 5 all time of goal scorers.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/leaders/goals_adjusted_season.html

bewbies fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Aug 7, 2014

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Brett Hull scored tons of goals on rebounds and tips and stuff and he also had the best snap shot in the history of the league and also he turned into a really good two way player later on in his career.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

DOOMocrat posted:

For who? Detroit? I didn't see a whole lot of him during the regular season there but he rarely took penalties because he rarely stick checked. Fully admitting I didn't see it, but that sounds... uncharacteristic.

Towards the tail end of his time in STL. He was solid for Dallas and was pretty excellent in Detroit. During the '02 SC run he was actually a primary penalty killer on a team that had 4 Selke winners.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
the NHL was more entertaining 20 years ago and i'm normally the guy who makes fun of people for saying X was better 20 years ago

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Zamboni Jesus posted:

the staged fights are really a product of the 90s.

True although they're really a product of the instigator rule.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Zamboni Jesus posted:

what is interesting about watching games from the 80s is how much less physical it actually was compared to today with regards to things like wantonly finishing every check

Someone posted a video that analyzed a game from back in the 70s between the Flyers and someone back in the 70s and it showed how guys didn't finish checks at all. I just googled it and it turns out it was that blogger who just got hired by the Oilers so I guess it is lost forever :(

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Starsfan posted:

a Handshake deal to sell the team for a certain price? I doubt that claim holds up in court..

I mean if Wang had advertised the team for sale for $450 mill and then backed out when somebody came up with the offer that would be one thing. Correct me if I'm wrong but there's been an endless stream of these "we had a handshake deal" lawsuits to go through courts all over the world, and don't they always get shot down as not being enforceable?

Not necessarily, if there was offer/acceptance/consideration etc then you can always make an argument that there was a contract. Damages might be kinda tough to establish though especially if the other party didn't...really suffer any that I can tell.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

ElwoodCuse posted:

Honestly I don't see how any sports league's commissioner isn't a hateable poo poo since their job is to make the owners as much money as possible

This.

I said this a couple of times during the NFL lockout re Goodell. Basically, commissioners are there to do the bidding of the owners and to be their public face and thus take the public vitriol for an assortment of their ugly policies. It works pretty well too, in every NA sports league...owners tend to be fairly popular (with some obvious exceptions) and every commissioner is BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
So our 67 year old goalie retired from beer league this week, should I talk to marty's agent about his availability?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Have we discussed the fact that the Moore Bertuzzi drama looks to be finished?

V: gently caress bertuzzi and his ugly simian face

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Jordan7hm posted:

Ah, the Philly model before Bryz.

I think it's a better model than signing Mike Smith to a 36 million dollar contract, but the goal should be to get a top tier starter. Too much depends on your goaltending.

Who are the top tier starters in the NHL?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Thufir posted:

Has any team had success doing this recently over multiple seasons? What comes to mind are teams like Tampa and Philly that have had some OK years but also a lot of goalie-related pain.

Philly, Blues, Ducks, Hawks, Sharks, Caps maybe the Bruins if you look back a few years (meaning, all have had pretty consistent success with plug in goalies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I've always REALLY wanted to see what the game looked like in the teens-20s but next to no footage exists that I've ever found at least.

• Locked thread