Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Could it also mean that the team in general is just trash? :q:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

oh my god my backpacking trip can't come soon enough so I can escape this bullshit for 3 weeks

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Mind_Taker posted:

So who is their #1 D now?

uh, wow, goddamn.

e: MacDonald

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

honestly it just gets boring talking about advanced stats over and over I want to watch hockey. I don't mind it mixed in but I'm just not a person who wants to try to painstakingly analyze everything with what are probably at least slightly faulty stats

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I feel like the problem with the Leafs was that their "success" was clearly unsustainable because they had pretty crap fundamentals and relied wayyyyy too much on scoring off the rush, the PP, and goalies bailing them out. Despite that, management didn't seem to see this as a problem and just figured the Leafs have turned the corner! and didn't really address the issues so the fall back to earth wasn't that surprising since they just tried to keep doing historically unsustainable things

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Mind_Taker posted:

Advanced stats should be used in conjunction with traditional scouting, the good thing about data is that you can just go to ExtraSkater and look up any player you want, whereas you can't feasibly scout every NHL player (which of course would be more valuable than a bunch of numbers).

On the other hand it leads to a bunch of people who don't watch the players then saying they're basically experts and know everything about all those players because they read some stats on extra skater

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Mind_Taker posted:

Ideally you would identify a player who has surprisingly good (or bad) stats, and then dig deeper and actually watch them play. Do you think Stralman would have generated as much UFA interest even like 5 years ago?

He wasn't even generating much interest a year ago, but that's possibly because he wasn't a pending UFA at the time.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Spamtron7000 posted:

The long-term problem with fancy stats based on shot attempts is that agents and players aren't loving stupid. You're already seeing bad contracts getting handed out to players based on their Corsi events. This behavior will lead to players stupidly firing pucks at the net in order to pad their fancystats and to agents encouraging them to do so (this is assuming that we're all naive and half the league doesn't already do this). Shot-based advanced stats are already approaching the end of their useful lifetime and everyone who is just jumping on the bandwagon has already missed out on the value.

yes but see shooting percentages will regress towards last years mean and

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I think in the case of Orpik you also get this entrenched idea that old veteran players shouldn't be taking a paycut even as their skills decline

Orpik is respected around the league for some unknown reason so of course no one's going to say "dude is probably worth $2 mill/year tops". It's really hard to shift a guys salary downwards especially if they're an UFA (unless you're Lee Stempniak)

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

Dellow himself wrote 2 articles about how good Pouliot was based on his possession across several teams, and how happy he was with the signing.

I mean...I don't really know what I'd expect out of Pouliot with the Oilers. I think he benefited a lot from playing with Brassard and Zucc, though he probably helped that somewhat by being the guy on the line who would shoot the puck for sure. Who'd he play with a lot in Boston and his other stops?

My impression from the Rangers is that he wasn't the guy making his line work but he didn't hurt it either...in the right situation he's good. He's still a 38 point player though and that's with power play time

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

yes he always falls down a lot because he can't skate for poo poo

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I remember during one Rangers game way back in the Tom Renney era they put heart rate monitors on some players and then would do replays of their shifts to show their heart rate spiking during their shifts etc. It was kinda cool, but pretty basic

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

20 years ago was the beginning of the dead puck era so I wouldn't be saying hockey was more entertaining back then...

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

ThinkTank posted:

"Call penalties as they're written" would help. Start penalizing clutch and grab, picks in the neutral zone and hooks into the hands like they did in 05/06 and you'd see offence rocket back up again. Teams learnt to adapt to the new rules a bit, but basically the playoffs rolled around the first year after the lockout and refs were told to swallow their whistles and they've started to let more and more go to the point where we're nearly back to pre-lockout levels of interference. Really cracking down for a few years would make for a couple penalty filled seasons, but teams would adapt and hopefully we'd see more skating/end to end play rather than bear hugs in the corners.

Ending the insistence that penalties should be called less frequently in the playoffs for whatever reason would go a long way to correcting the problem.

But then how would LA win any more cups?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

If a dude does a drop pass just over the offensive blueline and then skates straight at the defender therefor blocking that defender from switching coverage then the defender should be able to legally crosscheck the first player in the face in order to knock him to the ice and eliminate the pick

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Drew Doughty, fat and slow and only good because of clutch and grab

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

AngryBooch posted:

By having the puck 58% of the game.

Except they wouldn't because the onyl reason they possess the puck so much is all their interference and by my calculation strict enforcement of the rules means a 15% drop in possession for LA meaning they're one of the worst teams in the league and the Rangers are actually the 2014 cup champions

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Mook really wants to argue with someone. Ya'll should know better.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Been backpacking for 17 days anything interesting happen other than the Rangers signing Hayes?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Sports guys are creepy, got it. Glad I skipped the last three weeks and instead got to look at pretty mountains and watch some marmots steal a subway sandwich out of some dumbass' pack

The NHL needs a team called the Marmots, can we relocate some Canadian team ?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

The Whalers were a bad franchise and don't deserve the nostalgia they get

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Brian Boyle did them a solid and talked them up to Hayes. Also Calgary and Florida weren't that good last year and the Rangers went to the finals

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Rangers C depth is worse than their RW depth (Nash, St Louis, Zuccarello down the right) and they need a 3C so it'd be kinda good if he did play C. Supposedly he can play any forward position though and will probably be in the running for that LW spot vacated by Pouliot, along with Fast, Stempniak, Kristo, maybe Miller (but maybe they'll move him back to C)

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Right, some guys can make the jump to the NHL from college, but I dunno about Hayes. If he earns a spot then he's ready if he doesn't then he goes to the AHL. no big deal

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Yeh they should trade him to the Rangers for a good character guy like Tarnaski

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Furnaceface posted:

Pretty sure Hayes signed with the team that was going to give him the most NHL time since he seems to insist that he is ready. I dont think he plans on playing in the AHL, which is why he wanted out of Chicago.

No one guarantees time to an unproven player. That said the Rangers have more roster spots open than Chicago and he's still more likely to make it during the year in NY if he doesn't make it out of camp

He also says Kreider and Brian Boyle talked to him and that he likes AV's style

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

No, Brian. He's a BC alum too and Hayes said he talked to him and Brian had good things to say about the Rangers and that played a role in his decision

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Can't help but think that's just an extension of the political dick waving that's going on right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

It's political dick waving between the US and Russia, it's invasion between Russia and Ukraine, GOD if you're going to be pedantic at least get it right :rolleyes:

• Locked thread