Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Wamsutta posted:

Now that Subban signed what are we gonna talk about until NHL training camp

Claude Loiselle has gone from endorsing a coach that thinks helmets overheat your brain to the head of player safety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

quote:

HartnettHockey: Alabama hates the Canucks. http://t.co/VCWcTdMIar

And, because you will ask, that is Wyoming that apparently hates Ottawa.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

eXXon posted:

As happy as a team without Hand Zeus can possibly be. Speaking of which, why isn't that Hand Knit's username?

Because I more readily identify with Hekateros.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

His contract probably entails rights to the contents of his blog.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

There were Toronto fancy stat bloggers calling Clarkson a 'puck hog' and 'chucker' before he signed. I don't think there are as many of these look-at-one-number people as we appear to be afraid there are.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Hirez posted:

I'm sure in 2014, you could have some overhead camara, pinpoint the puck and just track is via CGI or some poo poo, without touching the puck, installing camaras at 50 different angles in each stadium, etc etc.

The Raptors' stats guy (Alex Rucker) commented on twitter, and said that you'd need game footage recorded at 21 frames per second to track most events, and 30 frames per second for the really hard ones.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

People getting confusingly mad for discussing something as silly and weird as the HHoF.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Please don't dogpile mook so much. It gets kinda boring and repetitive after a while, and I'd like to believe he can become a decent poster.

Hand Knit fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Aug 11, 2014

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Paulocaust posted:

what about me? can I be a good poster

You have the power.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

ThinkTank posted:

Does that mean he officially retired? He's still got three years left on his contract.

It does not. Some lawyer type on the internet (you know, the reliable kind) said that it's structurally similar to signing an endorsement deal.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Chris Hannah from Propagandhi is wearing an amazing Phil Kessel shirt, I'll be sure to get a pic of it later

Chris Hannah is a huge Leafs fan and "campaigned" against bringing the Jets back.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

a false posted:

nicholls was actually signed by the rangers after the leafs didn't sign him. he didn't do anything in his first pro season last year.

He put up decent scoring numbers in the WHL, so if the Leafs didn't sign him I'm assuming that his skating must be unsalvageably bad.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Given that there seems to be a (slight) political dimension to how receptive people are to analytics, I'm mildly curious as to what Chris Hannah thinks of the corsis.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

JawKnee posted:

gently caress yes. This is now a ska-central hockey thread

Someone convince me with some hockey-centric ska music. Not even something on par with Resisting Tyrannical Government, just any old hockey-ska.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Verviticus posted:

are people interested in doing a team/farm analysis thread again? would anyone participate? i kinda wanna spend a few hours writing a bunch of words people wont read about ben hutton and evan mceneny

While radium's coding eccentricities are pretty specatular, I don't think we're in danger of running out of threads. Go for it.

goldrush posted:

loving august

Hockey art is interesting, I think.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Mike Works posted:

Hey has anyone heard of this Steve Kariya kid

As Kariyas go, could do better, could do worse.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

I feel like I should encourage people to, generally, stay a little more on hockey-topic even if it is August.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Austrian mook posted:

Is it? I'll hold off then unless Hand Knit says its okay.

My phones camera quality is pretty bad but I'll see what I can do, provided its okay with the mods

Rule of thumb is that, for whole articles behind a paywall, excerpts and paraphrase are good but full transcription is out. I imagine that that same rule applies to for-sale copies of magazine articles.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Rotten Cookies posted:

The fact that his default tactic for CBA negotiations is to hold a lockout is sort of damning. And somehow it always gets spun that the players are to blame, but that prolly has to do with how the North American populace feels about employees in general.

Bettman comes from the law firm of Proskauer Rose (who now represent all major NA sports leagues), who are notorious for being extremely anti-labour in ideology. I can't find the exact article now, but they are very interested in professional sports negotiations because they think of it as a good way to encourage anti-union sentiment.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

ExtraSkater.com has been taken offline. Forums alum r-lam speculated that he's been picked up by the NHL to do his thing on their site, which would make a bit of sense with their new ToS.

Makes as much sense as anything, I guess.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Zamboni Jesus posted:

someone should buy stats.hockeyanalysis.com next because the current site design is possibly the least functional website ever made

It really fits Johnson's personality though.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Non-hockey clothing chat is terrible and I will punish the next person to participate in non-hockey clothing chat.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

DOOMocrat posted:

I'm not done making fun of weird Minnesota things.

That's a really talented dog.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

ThinkTank posted:

When your motto is SPEND BIG on the three major sports teams you own and you end up with the Leafs missing the playoffs again, the Raptors getting 3 playoff wins and TFC being so-so, I'm not surprised he's on his way out. Probably been told to find new employment or get canned. Clarkson, Phaneuf, Bradley, Defoe, Lowry and DeRozan are big money signing that have shown relatively little success on the ice/field/court in comparison to their cost.

"Having reached the playoffs once with three teams in one year and having won no championships, I feel I've accomplished all I can with Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment. I am seeking a new challenge, and this decision has nothing to do with that huge stack of money I set fire to at Yonge and Dundas hoping it would lead to instant success."

Given that the Leafs seemed to show a marked shift in direction a couple weeks into free agency, I imagine that Shanahan made a move similar to one that Ujiri made shortly after being hired. Something to the effect of "you hired me to do this job now gently caress off and let me do it."

(And the extension/acquisition of both DeRozan and Lowry predates Leiweke.)

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

JoelJoel posted:

Nooonis/Carlyle still at the helm? In that case this org can continue self-immolating and I'll just enjoy the warmth.

Nonis seems to have been Shermanned, and I imagine that Carlyle is gone pretty quickly (maybe even before the start of the year now that Leiweke is gone).

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

JoelJoel posted:

I guess so, but still, a pretty hosed up turn of events. Why extend the now-worst-coach-in-the-NHL for two years if you're just going to shuffle the boys at the top? MLSE is so hosed up.

The implication being that Carlyle's extension was a political move to help Leiweke save face after he'd declared Nonis/Carlyle the faces and saviours of the franchise.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Koopa Kid posted:

Report out of Dreger when the meetings were going on was that it was Nonis who was going to bat for Carlyle the most, iirc. I can't imagine Randy going first with that in mind.

I also don't think that either will get canned before the start of the season. I can't imagine a coach getting extended and fired in a single offseason, and the AGM situation is too problematic. Unless Shanahan's quest for another assistant is just a cover for finding Nonis' replacement, which would be outlandish.

Were such an occasion to arise, Nonis and Carlyle would likely officially go together. And again, I think that Nonis doesn't really make decisions anymore.

eXXon posted:

The Leafs finally realized that most NHL management is so incompetent that they can't compete with amateur bloggers using publicly available data and with a limited understanding of statistics.

Metcalf isn't an analyst, but buying out his site so other teams can't use it is the sort of evil machination that a megarich team like the Leafs can use.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

the talent deficit posted:

did extraskater have any original research? it's kind of hilarious the leafs just bought out a website that just aggregates the nhls own stats

Metcalf didn't do anything himself but his site was the only one that tracked a few things (for example, although I forget whether or not it ever went public, @SteveBurtch's delta-corsi).

JoelJoel posted:

They have a highly potent offense and (if last year can be counted on again) a really good keeper. Plus they managed to keep themselves in a playoff spot most of last year despite... well, we all know. I think this team is a playoff team without the present group of fuckwits running the show.

They were a rocking 14th in the league last year in goals scored, and replicating that success this year would require a couple of the reclamation projects having pretty big years. Like, their 2nd line right now is probably Lupul-Kadri-Clarkson and that is... not really inspiring.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Wasn't Kovalev known for being incredibly lazy?

He didn't really get North American hockey conventions. One time Keenan tried to punish Kovalev for taking an overlong shift by keeping him on the ice, and he thought he was being rewarded.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Koopa Kid posted:

Is Dreger acting more like a giant tool lately or am I just noticing it more?

"The Leafs have always been at war with Eastasia tracked possession metrics"

Noticing it more. "We internally track 'quality possession'" was first put out there by Poulin/Loiselle way back in spring 2013.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Wonderllama posted:

is it illegal in the SA hockey threads to state that perhaps getting gamecenter cheaper through means of untruthful IP locating? because if so, just know that i just paid significantly less for gamecenter due to my low moral compass

The specific rule is that talking about streams for free/cable stuff is fine but PPV stuff is out. A good general guideline is "could this cause some legal type people to harass Lowtax," and I think we're mostly in the clear here but maybe don't overdo it?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

I will deal with food and drink talk capriciously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Here is the dedicated thread that this likely deserves: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3660723

• Locked thread