Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Ahh, that new LP smell, before the terrible choices and in jokes have started. Breathe it in folks, I’m sure we’ll have some terrible innuendos fogging up the air soon enough.

Oh, sorry, I’m supposed to tell you about the game here, aren’t I! How silly of me.

Welcome to the Advanced Tactics : Gold LP.  I’m Grey Hunter, and if you’ve never heard of me, I’m the crazy guy who once did a 5 year long LP doing daily turns. Also I once blew up a planet by accident.

Shut it you rambling fool. What is Advanced Tactics Gold then?

ATG is a hex based strategy wargame using technology equivalent to WWII - the difference is that it uses random maps and sides to fight over, rather than  setting up a historical setting.

Why is this interesting? Well, I love historical wargaming, but I will be one of the first to tell you the problem with it - Hindsight is 20/20 - When you invade Russia in 1942, you know that there is going to a harsh winter in a few months, just as your enemy knows that he can trade space for time and defeat you when his troops get stronger.

In ATG, the random maps mean that you don’t have that extra knowledge, you can guess that some areas are going to freeze, or attacking through that jungle will be slow, but you don’t know that your enemy only has 18 months of oil left before their war machine collapses.

While it does not have the depth that a historical game has, it has its own interesting quirks. I’ll explain the game as we go along, but now we need to get into making a nation. While the maps are random, I can edit our country to give it a suitable goony name and we get a choice of a national group - mostly based off the different factions from WWII earth.

ATG has numerous unit types and you make units from them, it has two downfalls though, the first is that every unit has to manually resupplied. So every time you take losses, you have to transfer units from the HQ to every unit, which is time consuming.  The second is that there is no diplomatic AI beyond war or peace. Once two nations are at war, they will be at war until one or the other is destroyed. No alliances, no peace treaties. You basically all start off at peace then things go increasingly to hell.
This can mean that you get all of your neighbours attacking you in turn 1- which means you will lose - but most of the time it works out ok.

There are a large number of units, each with their own specific uses - infantry are cheap, and good on the defensive, but poor at attacking, SMG’s are the same, but have bonuses that gear them to fighting in dense jungle or cities, you can get tanks, planes, ships, artillery and all the other materials of war.  What you use in each situation is a key part of the game.

As an example, Anti-tank guns are good against armour, but get a 3x bonus on the defense, so if you’re attacking an armoured unit, you want your own, heavier tanks or lots of Bazookas, if your on the defensive, these things are the go to.

This situational need for units is what makes ATG so interesting - there is no 100% winning situation. There are a few tricks to make good units of infantry, but after that it really depends (as in real life) on the terrain and/or what your opponent is fielding, as well as if you are the attacker or on the defensive.

Picking our side

What I want from you is this tell me what our nation is called, and what national group it is based off. While this is mostly cosmetic, it does affect what our special unit is. This is a powerful or  - quirky unit that only members of that national group can get, and while it may or may not be useful, it does provide a bit of flavour to the nation.

The National groups are as follows.:

quote:

Germans
Only people that can research V-weapons and build super-heavy tanks when heavy tank research is completed.

V Weapons are long ranged single shot bombardment weapons, while super-heavy tanks are self explanatory, it also be said they are of limited use – heavier tanks are only better against lighter tanks, so only if there has been a major arms race will these really shine.

Anglo-Saxon
Only people that can build Rangers.

Rangers are the best infantry in the game, expensive but good on the attack and the defence.

Russian
Only people that can research Katushya’s. These are one shot artillery weapons that are good at pounding the enemy, but then need to be rebuilt.

French
Only people that can build cheap fortifications and super fortresses. You like being on the defensive? Then the French are for you!

Arab
Only people that can build Guerrilla’s. These are cheap units that provide good recon for your main forces.

Chinese
Only people that can build Militia. Cheap and cheerful, the Militia is a fantastic stop gap measure if you are being overwhelmed by the enemy.

Japanese
The Japanese have 60% basemorale instead of 50%. Its also the only people that can build Kamikaze’s. Kamikazes should be self explanatory, but the base morale means all of our men are harder to break in combat.

Worldbuilding

Now we should generate a world. We have a few options, I’m going to used a looped map, so we can backstab our enemies, and it will be a large map with six nations and normal tech start.
Here are the other options we can select.

Once people have voted on their favorite settings we will generate the map.  I will then make a good sized version of it for people to look at. At that point we will begin to name parts of the map for reference - the seas,  islands continents ect - mainly so we all know what we are talking about rather than “That little bit of water there”.

Player input.

While I will be running the game, there will be something for you lot to do beyond telling me how rubbish I am.
The first way is the game uses characters to represent Generals, these gain experience and skills, and can be renamed. These are high level commanders taking over a Corps equivalent HQ unit at the lowest level, then going up to the Supreme Commander. Who will be me.

If you want a commander, please post so, and I’ll compile a list.

The second way will be in tactical advice. While this won’t be a full politics LP, I’ll probably ask questions at the end of each update along the lines of “should we declare war on X” or “Should I call a general assault”

The last way will be in spending political points. These are generated by cities and are used for both the hiring of Generals and the creation of new units and buying new units from the research tree.  I’ll use any points I need for the day to day running of the war, and then let you know what excess we have to spend on new kit.

So, that should be if for now. I’ll do a rundown of the game proper once we have our map and nation.

TL:DR Version

Vote on or suggest the name and national group of our nation.
Apply for an officer position.
Bicker amongst each other.

Pacom

Pre-war status
Preperations for War
The War begins
Closing the pocket

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Aug 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
I would like an high command officer position! Im confident in the fanciness of my uniform.

The People's Republic of Grayvorgoon takes its lead from the Russians!

No Oceans, Arctic Temperature, Normal(?), Normal, Normal. Let General Winter be our ally!

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Aug 2, 2014

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Man, games like this make my eyes roll back and my brain bleed just from looking at them.

If there's an officer position for someone that has no idea what he's doing, I'd volunteer for that. I'm clearly incompetent and was promoted by nepotism!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Well, officers need no skill, as its just for fun.

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Aug 2, 2014

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
The glorious Chinese Empire, the Iron Qin Dynasty is ascendant!

Normal World, Normal Continents, Normal Humidity, Full Range, and Normal Age.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

sniper4625 posted:

I would like an officer position! Still reading through the options.

The People's Republic of Grognardia takes its lead from the Russians!

No Oceans, Arctic Temperature, Normal(?), Normal, Normal. Let General Winter be our ally!

Grognardia is too Anglo-Saxon. How about Grayvorgoon?

Sign me up as an high-level officer for the obvious GH buttkissing with the country name :v:

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Grognardia is too Anglo-Saxon. How about Grayvorgoon?

Sign me up as an high-level officer for the obvious GH buttkissing with the country name :v:

Suggestion adopted.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Volunteering to lead our glorious nation (whatever she may be) as a commander!

e: I will suggest the Empire of Grognardia. Naturally we are French as goons never leave the basement.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

The Glorious Kingdom of Kekeke, who hail from China, land of the zerg rush!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Soylent Pudding posted:

e: I will suggest the Empire of Grognardia. Naturally we are French as goons never leave the basement.

Voting for this! The enemy will break on our glorious breastworks!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Goontopia, a Germanic land. Our tank was, is and will be fight!

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

AJ_Impy posted:

Goontopia, a Germanic land. Our tank was, is and will be fight!

seconding this

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The proud nation of Pacom will never be defeated, due to its unbeatable high morale! (Japanese).

Normal world, normal continents, normal humidity, full range climate, normal geological age.

General Leperfish will not let his people down.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Soylent Pudding posted:

This is a nice suggestion, I agree. I'd like a command post as well.

I vote for Normal Oceans, Full Range climate, Small Continents, Normal Age and Normal Humidity.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Volunteering to be a General, holding off on name until I know what language to translate 'underscore' into.

BwenGun
Dec 1, 2013

I vote for Goonenwealth (Anglo-Saxons), because Democracy is coming whether people like it or not.

Alternative nation names:

The United Goons of Goonlandia.
The United Kingdom of Great Goonland.

And the amalgam name: The Empire and Commonwealth of the United Goons of Goonlandia and Great Goonland.

And I'd vote for:

Big Oceans
Normal Continent Size
Wet World
Full Range (Climate)
Young (Geological Age)

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Voting:
Big Oceans
Normal Continents
Wet World
Full Range Climate
Young Geological Age

Japan National Group

Goonada

The victor will have to prove themselves on land, air and sea.

Applying for an airforce officer.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Aug 2, 2014

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Hailing from the fabled lands of Mecca, the Arab nation of MechaGreyistan will crush all before it.

And sign me up, I will lead our glorious navy to its fated victory

Providing there's some oceans, I have no other preference on terrain.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Sure, sign me up. I'll probably die in some god-forsaken pit. :v:

I feel compelled to vote for becoming the Goonenwealth, an Anglo-Saxon nation. (:australia:)

Normal World
Normal Continents
Normal Humidity
Full Range Climate
Young Geological Age

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Sign me up to general! But only if you find a particularly incompetent or doomed general. I want to die horribly for the honor of insert nation name here!

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Eh, sure, why not, make me an officer.

Preid
May 22, 2014

Leperflesh posted:

The proud nation of Pacom will never be defeated, due to its unbeatable high morale! (Japanese).

Normal world, normal continents, normal humidity, full range climate, normal geological age.

I'll back this. I'm sure you could easily dominate the world through perseverance and accidentally/purposefully crashing plains into people for spectacular results, which the Japanese group seem to excel at.

I would also like to volunteer my service as an officer if you find the room for me.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
The Empire and Commonwealth of the United Goons of Goonlandia and Great Goonland. Otherwise known as the ECUGGGG.

Anglo-Saxon
Big Oceans
Normal
Normal
Full Climate

I wish to be a Commander in the mighty army of Democracy. Though being the Empire of the CUGGGG, we also get cooler uniforms and Star Destroyers.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Leperflesh posted:

This.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Everybody not voting for Germans is doing it wrong. Grey Hunter and one shot super heavy weapons are the best combination(see: Distant Worlds)

Also, I'd like to be a commander, preferably related to said super weapons.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Sign me up as a commander. Also, I vote for Chinese national group.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Right a quick tally to here.

PACOM - 3,
Empire of Grognardia - 3
The People's Republic of Grayvorgoon - 2
Goonenwealth - 2

Everything else 1.

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010

Soylent Pudding posted:

I will suggest the Empire of Grognardia. Naturally we are French as goons never leave the basement.

Seconded!

I would love to lead my little band of mischievous ala Hogan's Heroes. They can be Rivensteel's Rogues!

Lastly, for the world gen I vote land world, Pangeaic, wet world, full seasonal range, young world.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

My name in the game, please!

Voting Grognardia and Japanese

simplefish fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Aug 13, 2014

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

sniper4625 posted:

This. I'll also take the officer position, I guess :v:.

As for the world, Normal Type, Normal Size, Arid, Full Range, Ancient.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Grey Hunter posted:

Right a quick tally to here.

You missed Goontopia getting seconded.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Veloxyll posted:

Hailing from the fabled lands of Mecca, the Arab nation of MechaGreyistan will crush all before it.

Grey Hunter Akbar!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Ground floor :getin:

Seconding the vote for Pacom, and seconding Bwengun and Jobbo Fett for the map (Big Oceans, Normal Continent Size, Wet World, Full Range, Young).

Also volunteering to be a general :patriot:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
If we're still voting I'd say Full climate range, Set all the other options to Normal. Command the Germanic land of Goontopia.

And give me a panzer division :gifttank:

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

This is the best option.
I'd also like to be Admiral-ised, please.

LokAmir
Oct 9, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

I vote for this.
Also volunteering to fight for our nation. Preferably in a tank.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

sniper4625 posted:

This sounds good.

I also vote Land World, Normal humidity, Full Climate range.

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar
paccom

crocopus or bust

also sign me up to be a general !

Das_Ubermike
Sep 2, 2011

www.oldmanmurray.com
Goontopia and normal for all the settings, save for climate which is full.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

The Glorious Grey Hunter Gooniphate (Arab).

Sign me up as a low-level leader of some kind, let's see what trouble I can get into.

• Locked thread