Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
But we need to form the Kidō Butai too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

And the Maru Maru.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
I say we shoot for the heaviest tanks we can get and call them Zakus.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Please rename the city of Asaka to Asuka.

Also please name a ship the Souryuu Langley.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Part of me wants to re-name Chanel Cove to something eye-rollingly nerdy like Treasure Trove Cove.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

moosecow333 posted:

Part of me wants to re-name Chanel Cove to something eye-rollingly nerdy like Treasure Trove Cove.

Like Candle Cove? :v:

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

moosecow333 posted:

Axe Body Spray Cove

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Ratoslov posted:

If there's some kind of 'ridiculous capital ship' naval design philosophy tech tree, we should go down that with all haste. Some people say that the days of massive naval artillery guns are behind us, gentlemen. They are honorless cowards and should be demoted to the rank of assistant deck-scrubber. BIG loving GUNS. :torgue:

This man knows whats up. Some people say that airplanes outrange naval guns. I say we just need to make our guns even bigger to compensate.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Pvt.Scott posted:

I say we shoot for the heaviest tanks we can get and call them Zakus.

There are mods. You can put in the graphics pixels...

http://www.advancedtactics.org/scenario.php?nr=76&tpage=10&tplayer=0&ttag=11&tai=0&tdeleted=0&tengine=0

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
One of our cities should be named Nazgulsaki.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
If there's a Chinese city called Singyang, let's not try for a land invasion.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I've got a list of around 100+ ship names I can toss out but I doubt we'll get that many.

We definitely need something like "Unsinkable III" or "Invincible IV".

The White Flag squadron/group, Zealot Squadron (Only Kamikaze pilots), The Arbitrary Squadron (Rag-tag bunch of misfits who never follow the rules).

Very Little Gravitas Indeed
    Experiencing A Significant Gravitas Shortfall
    Zero Gravitas
    Really, Where Did They Hide All The Gravitas?
    I Swear I Left My Gravitas Right Here
    Can't Get Ye Gravitas
    Microgravitas Environment
    Can't Afford Gravitas In This Economy
    What Has Gravitas Ever Done For Us Anyways?
    Still No Sign Of Gravitas
    Send Your Gravitas Out With Its Hands Up Or We Will Fire
    Hey Guys, Don't Tell Me All The Gravitas Is Gone Already...
    Don't Tell Me I Don't Have Gravitas - I Listen To Jazz
    Anti-Gravitas System

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Aug 5, 2014

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Veloxyll posted:

We can have both the Yamato AND the Gravitasless Dog

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
If there is still room I would love to be a commanding officer.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Is it too late to suggest that we name a key terrain feature "Summary"? Summary Ridge, Mt. Summary, something like that.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Frog Pond should also get renammed to Frag Pond. Mostly because we should try our hardest to get our largest battleship in there.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
One of the Soviet features should have the name Jakmeov. Like Jakmeov Bay, or Jackmeov Island.

Also, if you're still looking for generals, you can use me as one.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
I really hope the commander of Kent State is just named Kent.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
I would rather it be "University"

University's Kent State! :v:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Here are the names we have so far. We can add to them as we go.

The first thing I need to do now that I have taken control of Pacom is to sort out the production. There is no way that the 27 Garrison units are going to be able to protect the nation.
From Tokyo Bay Fortress I plot. While I have enough men to create a number of units, I only have ten people working for me. Maybe I was a little overenthusiastic with the purges. I am going to be forced to throw the officers club open to any old goon.

The nine cities of Pacom are currently producing 3,070 supplies a month, 84 political points, 348 Riflemen and 6 trains. All our cities except Tokyo have the same production capability.

I mess with the numbers, we need engineers to build up our material production, staff to command the soldiers, and we cannot drop our supply or political point production to much. That said, I am able to reduce the number of riflemen being produced and order the manufacturing of Mortars and Machine guns.

I do not create any units at this time, as we do not have the ability to command them properly. I leave on garrison unit and the engineer brigades in each city, the other units fan out to the borders to give us eyes and ears out there.

Here is the turn start menu, We have no losses and have burned no supply, but it seems that the Guangzhou Fiefdom is now at war with both the Domain of Orleans and The Soviets! That means that most of the potential threats along our borders have already started a war, leaving only our target, the Sultanate, without an enemy.

The Sultanate has moved units onto the border, but we don't know how powerful they are. The number under our own units is the combat score – the higher, the better! This is an aggregate of the units contained in the container, and therefore is only useful to a point – a unit with a high combat score will still lose if its made up of tanks attacking an anti-tank division!

The Dominon to has put troops on our border, we can see ones of these, it is part of the 6th HQ unit, and is a garrison unit, the fog of war says it is less powerful than our own units, with one less MG, but in reality it is most likely to be the same composition.

The Fiefdom has also put troops on the border, but this is not to be seen as a hostile move as yet – they are doing as we are, putting men near the borders to prevent a sneak attack.

Another look at TBF shows we now have 500 companies of riflemen, but are only at 54% staffing. I tweek the numbers a little more.

I do send the engineers out to some units, as I want them working as soon as possible.

The garrison units move to their final positions, spaced out enough that we don't have any real blind spots.

Unsurprisingly, Kent state attacks the Soviets.

We now have the manpower to begin constructing units.

I begin by making five HQ units. One for the two “quiet” fronts and three for the Sultanate Front. I do this and create a leader at the same time.

General Sniper4625 is in command of 1st HQ in Kuii. He and his 25 staff members are responisble for the Guangzhou front. His units are the ones with the side bar that matches the one shown on the HQ. Sorry that these colours are not going to be super-easy to read.

Also with 25 staff members is General Lotish, of the 2nd HQ on the Dominion Front.

General Pakled's 3rd HQ controls the troops in and around Tokyo.

General HiHo ChiRho Controls the Central Sultanate front.

Finally, General Soylent Pudding controls the Western Sultinate Front. He has the least number of troops at this point, but lets do something about that!

Lets explain this a bit more, using the same button as before I create an empty unit container.

After that I use the transfer button to move troops into it. This allows me to move anything from the containter selected (TBF in this case) to another unit. If they are not in the same hex, they have to use other modes of transport – hence the fact I've been building so many trains.

I have 600 infantry and 12 MG/Mortars. So I decide to make six equal sized divisions. 100 infantry, 2 MG, 2 Mortars – this is light on the specialized equipment, but I want to put units onto the field for now!

I then use the strategic transfer button to rail the 1st Division up towards the front. This uses the same pool as the normal transfers, so you need a good number of trains if you want to rail stuff around in large numbers. As moving this unit takes up all of our cap, the other five divisions, making two each for the Sultanate commands, will have to remain in Tokyo for now.

I change production once more, less political points, staff and engineers, but more machine guns, infantry and mortars. I also start building trucks. As these will be needed to transfer supply and units over shorter distances, so while they are of no use to TBF, the sub commands will need them.

No new wars this month, fuel stockpiles are increasing.

On that front, its time to start using these engineers. Here I have to play 40 EP (engineering points), which come, surprisingly, from Engineering units, I also have to find 40 Political points and 167 supply. What his will do it boost the amount of oil this well produces from 250 to 1000! Our monthly income goes from 1250 to 2000.

I go on an upgrading spree, burning most of my political points but nearly doubling our income of supplies and oil.

I create a 7th Division and assign it to 3rd HQ. This and all the other divisions in Tokyo get more MG's and mortars.

I strategic transfer out what I can, then set the other units to marching.

I change my production orders a little, Artillery is going to be needed to break up the enemy units before we attack. I'll also want some tanks before we go, but I want to build up some more oil before then. These artillery units can be towed using the trucks we are producing.

I'm going to keep this reletivly short, but lets have a look at how those other wars are going.

The Orleans Dominion is not doing well against the Guangzou Fiefdom, they have units cut off and are losing ground.

On the soviet front, things are more stable.

This is probably because its the secondary front for both sides. The soviets are hammering deep into Kentian Sovietland.

Next time, I attack the Sultinate.

Commanders, if you want to rename your HQ's, go ahead!

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Grey Hunter posted:

Next time, I attack the Sultinate.

:clint:

LokAmir
Oct 9, 2012

Grey Hunter posted:

This is probably because its the secondary front for both sides. The soviets are hammering deep into Kentian Sovietland.

Correct me if I am wrong but going from the large map at the start, this looks like its the Soviets that are getting hammered.
Engels was theirs when the game started.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Grey Hunter posted:

General Pakled's 3rd HQ controls the troops in and around Tokyo.

Hell yeah, front lines. :black101:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

LokAmir posted:

Correct me if I am wrong but going from the large map at the start, this looks like its the Soviets that are getting hammered.
Engels was theirs when the game started.

~Your right, I thought that they had made a push into Kent lands, but no, Kent State has joined their two bits of land and taken a Russian city!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Can you remove me from the command waiting list? Not sure I'll have the time to participate.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Grey Hunter posted:

General HiHo ChiRho Controls the Central Sultanate front.

Hell yes I am a central front! GH please change my HQ name to the following:

That or "Mo' Sultans, Mo' Problems

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Pierzak posted:

Can you remove me from the command waiting list? Not sure I'll have the time to participate.

Commanders don't "do" anything, they are just there to have no game generated names, and so we can all blame people when things go wrong.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

You are awesome Grey Hunter! That's a huge update. Are new units always created at the capitol city?

If you pulled your units on the Dominion front back until they're just out of sight from the border, do you think the AI is smart enough to move most of those units to the fighting? Ideally our enemies would be locked in stalemate while we, hopefully, grow. Right now.it looks like the Dominion is losing.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Grey Hunter posted:

Commanders don't "do" anything, they are just there to have no game generated names, and so we can all blame people have a scapegoat for Pacom High Command when things go wrong.

That sounds more like the Grey Hunter LP's we know and love.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Just to make it clear: Captain Pacom is the officer, His Screaming Operatives are his command. If he makes it into the game.

FairweatherPaws
Jan 1, 2014

Grey Hunter posted:

Commanders don't "do" anything,

In other words, full realism! :smuggo:

Jobbo_Fett posted:

List of Gravitas names.

I Can't Believe It's Not Gravitas.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
My command, the First Imperial Shock Terror Army, and I, are ready to serve!

(FIST for short.)

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

http://lparchive.org/War-in-the-Pacific/

Finally.....

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

quote:

Began on Dec 07, 2009
Ended on Jul 17, 2013
This LP has 1320 parts.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
That's... did it actually take a year to archive it?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I'm getting a tablet next week and will celebrate by rereading this amazing LP in bed. :cheers:

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

The Mechanized Kawaii Commandotroepen awaits reinforcement on the West Sultanate Front.
Honor and glory to the Emperor! :japan:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Would it be possible for units made in/stationed in Miyazaki to be named things like The Fighting Totoros or the Catbus Brigade?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If we're wanting ship names I generally go for 'words beginning with In-', the method which has given us such proud names as Invincible, Indestructible, Insolent, Inspiration, etc.

Of course if you're fielding a lot of ships you may need to move onto Indolent, Insufferable, Incommunicado, Inexact, Insolvent, Institutionalized, Innagaddadavida and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

If we're wanting ship names I generally go for 'words beginning with In-', the method which has given us such proud names as Invincible, Indestructible, Insolent, Inspiration, etc.

Of course if you're fielding a lot of ships you may need to move onto Indolent, Insufferable, Incommunicado, Inexact, Insolvent, Institutionalized, Innagaddadavida and so on.

Indubitably! :haw:

• Locked thread