Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Is it too late to suggest that we name a key terrain feature "Summary"? Summary Ridge, Mt. Summary, something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

On a sort-of related note, the japanese are the root of the modern ballistic missile submarine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5-ijBs8iJA

Fun facts from the video;
-They made these things
-These things actually got near the US and tried to start forest fires in Oregon
-They considered using them as a way to attack mainland US with biological warfare
-As per thing I said above, we grabbed them afterwards, and the earliest ballistic missile submarines were very similar in design

Kind of ahead of their time. Obviously didn't end up being particularly useful, but I tend to doubt the effort spent on them made a difference to the japanese themselves one way or another, but they ended up being perfect for a world where V2s and nuclear warheads were invented.

The Germans had also put work into figuring out how to use submarines to bring V2s close enough to the US to shoot at New York: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocket_U-boat

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Makes me glad I joined the air corps. :v:

Then again, I guess the air corps don't get command officers. Oh well!

We should handicap ourselves here by simulating inter-service rivalries in some way.

• Locked thread