Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

dtkozl posted:

Name every ship the Enterprise.

Yamato, disrespectful dog.

too much? I can dial it back...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Pvt.Scott posted:

I say we shoot for the heaviest tanks we can get and call them Zakus.

There are mods. You can put in the graphics pixels...

http://www.advancedtactics.org/scenario.php?nr=76&tpage=10&tplayer=0&ttag=11&tai=0&tdeleted=0&tengine=0

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Get Air Supremacy
You can use it to aid the land war, and harass navy that approaches your operations. Specifically, if they try a landing, you can sink their transports.

The first air group needs to be named Bandai Raizen Go!

edit: ...and the second group needs to be named Banzai Raiden Tai!

and the third can be Taibo Reisen Achu!

so that the 4th can be Tori-mendosu Gurabitasu!

TheCosmicMuffet fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Aug 9, 2014

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Dive Bomber II We just saw what can happen to ground forces if they get their panties in an uproar. You need to strike hard and fade away into the night, without a trace.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
I don't know if this is the right place for chatting on this, but the actual japanese armed forces's tactics were kind of interesting. Their guns, for instance, followed this kind of 'Ashigaru' concept of what a soldier was supposed to be. They had pretty accurate and fairly long range rifles that were excessive for their requirements, and only slowly adopted machine and sub machine guns--and never in the numbers that marines used them. So this was kind of weird, because much of their fighting was short or medium range in jungles or whatever.

Meanwhile, their tank doctrine more or less suited their purposes--because their invasions all happened early, and in most cases without opposing fortifications. So the ultra-light panzer-1-esque tanks they employed, which were just all terrain armored cars, in some cases, were fine.

From the naval side, they produced some of the most powerful battleships in the world, but my impression was that they wanted to hold them back. Practically, those ships (and other intermediate cruisers or whatever) could have provided artillery support that would fill the niche that tanks tended to, but in practice, they held their battleships back to avoid putting them at risk. Until, eventually, the US navy had fully recovered, and flush with aircraft carriers, could find and sink them. Which is also more or less what did in the Bismarck--sort of proving the point that it's not worth building battleships in the age of aircraft carriers.

I don't know what my point is.

Here's a youtube I found interesting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUyi6iCqIK4

(I promise not to do this again if there's a no-nerding-out about history clause added to the OP)

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
On a sort-of related note, the japanese are the root of the modern ballistic missile submarine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5-ijBs8iJA

Fun facts from the video;
-They made these things
-These things actually got near the US and tried to start forest fires in Oregon
-They considered using them as a way to attack mainland US with biological warfare
-As per thing I said above, we grabbed them afterwards, and the earliest ballistic missile submarines were very similar in design

Kind of ahead of their time. Obviously didn't end up being particularly useful, but I tend to doubt the effort spent on them made a difference to the japanese themselves one way or another, but they ended up being perfect for a world where V2s and nuclear warheads were invented.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Pimpmust posted:

I heard the allies were also developing a Death Ray.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HgejSCHRi8

Well, this does bring up something important.

Research Death Melons and destroy the Sultinate

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Heavy Artillery is fine, but I think you need Halftrack soon. I think you're going to want more mobility and cheap mechanized support once that giant front against not-china turns hot.

Which, I don't know what the criteria for the AI is, but I would assume that's going to start before you're done conquering the sultinate.

And Ratoslav is right about the Machineguns, if you end up on the back foot trying to keep them from overwhelming you.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
The famous japanese general George C Scott Patton said 'static fortifications are monuments to the stupidity of man'. But I don't think he meant it in a mean way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Leperflesh posted:

My gibs are at your disposal, oh captain my captain.

What's the research path that allows us to feed staff units directly into the breach end of an artillery battery?

• Locked thread