Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.
I like camping (usually on a fossil hunting trip ) but until recently I mostly camped & fossil hunted with my dad. I still do that, but also I've been branching out recently on my own. I'm developing my own camping kit etc and I wonder what you guys like to take with you? What sort of stove, food, etc. What do you like to do and where do you like to go? I've never gone snow camping and I wonder what that's like. I have a basic set up, tent, sleeping bag, one burner stove etc. my parents have a more elaborate setup, a tent trailer, three burner stove, large propane tanks etc. we've usually camp rough, state forests etc. campgrounds with showers & working toilets are almost unimaginable luxuries for us, so I'm not afraid of rough but I've never hiked supplies into an area, for example.

Basically I want to know how you camp, what you like to bring along, what sort of kit you keep in your car for impromptu weekend trips, and where you like to go/what you like to do. Or just fun camping stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Flamboyantly.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

House Louse posted:

Flamboyantly.

:bravo:

Traditionally, as a family, we do it the super easy way. We rent a cabin, bring our computers/phones/movies/the kitchen sink, and it's a lot less camping vs. just happening to be surrounded by trees.

I really want to get into extended hiking trips though, which would entail surviving off from only what I can carry. I'm looking into buying a hammock-tent so I can try this long trail in the Adirondacks next years that's rated to take about five-days, and brings you through the most isolated areas of New York. My biggest concern is hurting myself on such a trip, or getting eaten by a goddamn bear.

Liar fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 2, 2014

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Everybody here is just as dead as you.
Typically, any camping I do is on a rock climbing trip. I never bring tents anymore. My typical pack setup is as follows.

- Backpacking hammock
- Ultralight stove
- Sleeping bag
- Tarp
- Climbing Gear (rope, harness, quickdraws, various pieces of gear)
- Water filter + iodine tablets
- Survival knife
- Paracord
- First aid kit
- Solar panel kit
- Zippo lighter

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Drink beer, smoke hash, go fishing, grill a bunch of food.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
In a sweet hotelroom with hot people

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

El Marrow posted:

Typically, any camping I do is on a rock climbing trip. I never bring tents anymore. My typical pack setup is as follows.

- Backpacking hammock
- Ultralight stove
- Sleeping bag
- Tarp
- Climbing Gear (rope, harness, quickdraws, various pieces of gear)
- Water filter + iodine tablets
- Survival knife
- Paracord
- First aid kit
- Solar panel kit
- Zippo lighter

Pretty similar.

- Hammock
- Straps
- Tarp
- Spikes and lines
- Sleeping pad/blanket/bag depending on time of year
- Knives
- Gasifying stove
- Water container + filter + tablets
- First aid kit
- Couple of backcountry dehydrated meals
- Jerky
- Spork
- Pack
- Kayak
- Paddle
- Life vest
- Collapsable cane pole and pocket fishing kit
- Headlamp

The backcountry meals aren't that tasty, but they're great when you just need hot food in you, such as when you've fallen into a river in March.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Aug 4, 2014

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

platedlizard posted:

I've never gone snow camping and I wonder what that's like.

loving cold.

But if you like ice fishing, or cross country skiing whle dragging 80lbs it can be fun.

mincedgarlic
Jan 4, 2005

I've been blown up, take me to the hospital.

Camping for us typically means driving to a campground with a metric gently caress ton of poo poo packed, so traveling lightly is not an issue. We like to find campgrounds that have events and stuff for our kids to enjoy. Besides the normal fishing, swimming etc. etc., we follow the Eat > Digest > Prepare for Next Meal rotation.

Other posters have nailed the basics. One thing I never leave home without is Matchlight Charcoal. You can light a fire in a monsoon with that stuff. I know it's the same as reg charcoal + lighter fluid but the premixed product is perfect. Whether you're cooking on it or just need to start an inferno in the rain, it's a lifesaver. I imagine it would be very unpleasant to carry on your person however a couple handfuls in a gallon plastic zip lock could be a lifesaver.

Few other things I didn't see listed:

- Rubber Mallet for tent pegs etc.
- Deck of cards
- AM radio for baseball games and loony talk radio at night

Lastly, I'm not a drinker but my wife is. Get a gallon bottle of Spicy V8, dispose of a 1/4 and replace with decent Vodka & seasonings etc. Premade Bloodys ready to go with breakfast each morning.

brotato
May 14, 2013
My SO and I got a truck tent that just kinda latches onto the back of his pickup truck and it is awesome. It is a little small but putting it together takes all of five minutes. We built an elevated platform to go on the truckbed and we store poo poo under it. You can just roll up to a campsite and BAM, put the tent on the truck and you are good to go. Time to camp.

We always pack tons of beer and beer snacks. Other than that, we've got a tiny propane stove and a skillet and we usually bring stuff that is easy to cook: meat for grilling and stuff that comes in cans, sometimes a bag or two of pasta. If we had a bigger stove I'd bring a big pot for boiling and we'd do gumbo and stuff like that.

Best camping purchase of late is a little battery-powered fan that you can hang up in your tent like a tiny ceiling fan. That thing is the bomb.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Cut steak, onions and peppers into cubes, put on a stick like a marshmallow and cool over the fire for dinner and throw some tinfoil covered potatoes in the fire for the best baked potato ever.

If you want to drink but not carry a lot, I recommend 151 rum. We also always carry a deck of cards.

We usually try to do backpack camping, but I just got back from a trip that was a camp out of the car camping and it was a lot more lame. There's something a lot of fun about being out in the middle of nowhere by yourself/with friends.

grizzle
Jul 18, 2007

Winner Winner
Chicken Dinner

mincedgarlic posted:

Lastly, I'm not a drinker but my wife is. Get a gallon bottle of Spicy V8, dispose of a 1/4 and replace with decent Vodka & seasonings etc. Premade Bloodys ready to go with breakfast each morning.

That is like the greatest life tip in a while. This has non-camping potential. It might enter the regular rotation...

Mourne
Sep 1, 2004

by Athanatos
At the Hilton

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

platedlizard posted:

I've never gone snow camping and I wonder what that's like.

It owns if you have the setup for it. It's loving miserable if you don't.

Eta the hiking and backpacking thread can help with a lot of your questions

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3521471

BromanderData
Mar 20, 2013

Stroke it with me

The Chosen One
I look for campgrounds that have those toilet / shower huts.

Things I bring:

- Friends
- Bikes
- Tent
- Food / cooking stuff
- Air mattress because I can
- cloths

State parks are pretty reasonable and there is a ton of stuff to see and do in them.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

For typical car camping, this is my list:

- Standard day hiking gear
- Tent
- Sleeping bags, pads, camp pillows
- Washcloth, camp towel
- Chairs
- Lantern
- Cooler
- Utensils, plates, cutting board, foil, wash bucket
- Two-burner camp stove and fuel, small skillet and pot
- Hatchet

We usually grab firewood at the site, and get food/ice/beer en route at a supermarket. We pack relatively light because everyone who drives has a tiny little compact, so we need to fit a couple days of gear and food for 4-5 people in that. We rarely camp at sites with showers.

Food can really be almost anything that cooks fast, the two-burner stove is a workhorse, but it's smart to get stuff you can cook on a stick or over a fire. Sweet corn is awesome since you can just throw it right on a grate over the fire pit (unshucked, obviously) and let it go.

Alterian posted:

We usually try to do backpack camping, but I just got back from a trip that was a camp out of the car camping and it was a lot more lame. There's something a lot of fun about being out in the middle of nowhere by yourself/with friends.

I'm the other way around. I love to beer it up in a chair over a campfire, and none of those things are happening while backpacking. When I'm backpacking, I'm trading off the experience of chilling out at camp for being able to do a longer and more remote hike, so it has its place, but I do it far less often.

gadgethugs
Apr 15, 2007
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3609320

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
We either go backpacking or on canoeing/portage trips. Last month we went on a two week backpacking trip through Yosemite and covered about 85 miles. We usually go to the Boundary Waters Canoe Area in the summer for at least a week at a time. We each have a pack and all our food and supplies fit in there.

For two weeks our packs usually weigh about 50 pounds each without our water bottles full, most of that weight being food. We only take the essential stuff.
-sleeping bags
-tent
-water filter
-iodine tabs in case the water filter breaks
-battery powered lantern
-small butane tank with attachable burner
-lighter
-one pot, one frying pan, two cups, two forks
-Swiss army knife
-first aid kit
-water bottles
-map and compass
-camera
-one pair pants, one pair shorts, two shirts, one sweater, three pair socks, two pair underwear
-one bar of soap that can be used for dishes and shampoo as well
-two hand towels
-rain ponchos
-wide brim hat
-sunscreen
-bug spray 100% DEET

If we plan on fishing we bring our poles, tackle, extra line, and filet knives.

For food we mostly bring jerky, oatmeal, protein and cliff bars, powder Gatorade, dried fruits, and Pasta Sides which have flat noodles and powdered flavoring.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

When I go camping, it's to go looking for reptiles/amphibians. I pack my camera, my big net, a couple containers, some minnow traps, a cooler, my suitcase, some paper plates, paper towels, etc., matches, a little collapsible grill if I'm going to take the time to eat hot food, some water (both bottled for drinking and in a water cooler thingy for washing/brushing teeth, etc.), and my tent. I also bring a sleeping bag, pillow, and a blanket, which can be good for if the ground is uncomfortable or if it's extra cold. A second sleeping bag can be nice, too, depending on space. I also bring my backpack with a good flashlight or two, a roll of toilet paper in a plastic bag, a compass and GPS, spare batteries for the camera or flashlights, and a little net and a container for holding aquatic things for pictures. I also like to have my kindle with a spare external battery, and a few field guides loaded on, along with any books/audio books I'll read or listen to during the drive or at night when I'm not out herping.

I mostly eat cereal, sandwiches, and snacks, but I've cooked pork or hamburgers on the grill, and I like making pudgie pies/hobopies/whatever you call them, but most of the time I'm too exhausted when I get back to my camp, or else don't feel like stopping long enough to make a fire. I also tend to forget to eat because I don't want to stop to even pour a bowl of cereal unless I have to, and usually lose a few pounds from this and all the exercise, despite eating way more junk food than normal. Making sandwiches before going is generally a good idea, because then I can put them in my backpack and can eat when I'm walking.

I generally make my base camp by finding an old logging road or somewhere I can pull over safely where there isn't much/any traffic in a National Forest or somewhere with free legal primitive camping. I like somewhere near water so I can go out at night with my flashlight straight out from camp, but not somewhere where there's enough water that I have to worry too much about larger alligators while I'm doing that. During the day, I drive around to find neat sites, either playing by ear or from research I did at home, and then I'll wander all over to see what cool things I can find. At night, I like to road cruise to look for snakes, so I make note of good habitat during the day or else where I've seen DORs (dead on road animals).

Depending on my plans and how long I have, sometimes I'll pick a new site every day or every few days, and just pack up and set up camp somewhere else. I did this on a nine day trip to California - flew into San Francisco with as much gear as I couple fit into my bags, rented a car, and then drove up to Oregon and then back down on the other side of the Sierras - I saw hundreds of salamanders, an otter, some elk, a bear that ran straight at me (it was running from the highway and didn't see me until it was about twenty feet out and I yelled), and all sorts of other things. I also love doing Florida - tons of neat areas there! but I'll settle for coastal SC since it's closer when I can get out.

It's a blast, really. I see things most people never do and a variety of habitats and areas along the way. It's a bit exhausting, since I'm never really sitting still - I'm always hiking or driving or whatever, aside from nighttime, but if I could afford the gas and petsitter, I'd do it as often as I could. If you're just sitting at a campsite, especially if it's a pay site with water and toilets and all sorts of other people, you're not really doing anything. And if you have a camper and electricity and so on, then why the hell leave home in the first place?

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
I'm not sure this question deserve a new thread so I'm necroing this thread. I'm searching the forums but I can't find if there is a tent buying suggestion thread. I'm about to camp near the beach with a lot of heat and rain and I wanted to know what would be the best one or what to look for in a tent.
I'm going to read threads on the subject anyway but I wanted to know if there is a comprehensive guide anywhere in the forums.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Edit: Lmao way to read the thread SHISHKABOB :cripes:

Camping is cool, but my dad has taken me on quite a few backpacking trips over the years. Basically all we bring is food, stove and "kitchen supplies", clothing items we may need, tent, and sleeping bag. Those are like the most important things. Oh and water bottles.

Then there's other stuff you probably want to bring like a map of course, a knife, flashlight, a compass if you're cool or something.

It's not very complicated if you're going backpacking, cause you wanna be light. Having your pack weigh as little as possible while having everything you need is the balancing game you need to play. And one of the only ways to do it is to go out and see what you need and what you don't need. Food is the thing that always worried me the most. On our trips that were longer than one night I was a little anxious about food.

facey fred
Sep 17, 2007
quite facey

program666 posted:

I'm not sure this question deserve a new thread so I'm necroing this thread. I'm searching the forums but I can't find if there is a tent buying suggestion thread. I'm about to camp near the beach with a lot of heat and rain and I wanted to know what would be the best one or what to look for in a tent.
I'm going to read threads on the subject anyway but I wanted to know if there is a comprehensive guide anywhere in the forums.

It's not a tent-specific thread, but the hiking and backpacking thread usually gives good gear advice.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3521471

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.
e: wrong thread

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Very carefully

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

There was a decent episode on camping on Adam Savage's podcast.

http://www.tested.com/tech/472176-camping-1292014/

It almost made me want to go camping.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

SLOSifl posted:

There was a decent episode on camping on Adam Savage's podcast.

http://www.tested.com/tech/472176-camping-1292014/

It almost made me want to go camping.

You totally should, you might end up liking it and it's a hell of a lot cheaper than most stuff you can do while on vacation.

Reset_Smith
Apr 9, 2009

It's SQUARE, motherfuck!
I've been camping every weekend for the past few months (I work online, so I need a weekly escape) and it's been getting more primitive each time I go out. You figure out pretty quick what you don't need after hiking it in. I can't stand the designated camping spots; they feel like a parking lot, and I don't like to be around other people and potential authority figures when I'm out there (I tend to be drunk and high). We find somewhere to park in a National Forest, typical the Pisgah or Smoky Mountains (I'm in NC, and the state parks don't allow camping outside the designated areas (or booze or unleashed dogs)) we hike for at least few hours, pick a spot and chill.

I try to keep the pack at or below 50lbs, with both of my dogs wearing saddlebags for the overflow.

-GPS with a waypoint set for the car
-Tarp
-Sleeping bag
-Rope
-Folding saw
-Knife (a solid, full-tang knife is pretty sweet for chopping firewood)
-Pine pitch & lighters (whittle it for a good fire starter)
-Flashlight & headlamp
-Batteries
-Small cooking pot & mug
-Small jar of instant coffee <--SUPER important in the morning
-Big water bottle, empty gallon jug & filter bottle (make camp near a lake or river, fill the jug and run it through the filter bottle)
-Food (I've used those dehydrated meals before; they're alright, but expensive. I usually just pack a can of chili or something (crack the can, sit it in the pot with boiling water to heat it up)
-Dog food, treats and collapsed bowls (in the dogs' packs)
-Dog jackets
-Bourbon
-Book
-Trash bags

I've always brought TP and a little shovel, but for some reason I'm yet to have to poop out there. "Camper's Clamp" is what they call it, I think...
I used to bring a rifle, but most woodland things that want to kill me are currently hibernating. My dogs run off everything else.
It's too cold for mosquitoes where I am, but if they're an issue, Thermacell units works really well.
If we get out there early or have an extra day, I'll also bring a small backpack to use when we go exploring from the campsite.
If you can get your hands on some silicone waterproofing spray, def spray down your boots, backpack and stuff-sacks. Also pack some ziplock bags for any electronics you bring.

Anyway, it's fuckin' cold, wet and dirty. But it's worth it.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

I prefer to camp on someone's backyard, near beaches and on some cities on the mountains there is aways people that already have some infra-structure on their backyards for multiple campers, I don't know how to call that in English exactly, but there are some that are pretty neat with a hot shower, a stove and everything. I can totally cope with cold showers and less than ideal installations but I'm not sure what would I think about actually crapping in the woods.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Crapping in the woods is honestly pretty great, dunno why people get so terrified of it at all.

Boneitis
Jul 14, 2010
I've got an old Toyota T100 pickup truck that I had nothing to do with recently and I was planning on making it into a capable camper truck. Most people decide to go offroading in theirs but I like driving down fire trails. I haven't done much, but I really want to kickstart it with the money that I am being given for Christmas. So far, I've decided to buy a camper shell and bond it watertight. Then, mount a solar panel on the roof, hook up a charge controller and a deepcycle battery with inverter in order to use power. Decided not to hook it up to the alternator as

1: It won't worsen my fuel economy (which would be almost negligible, but .1mpg is .1mpg)
2: (and more importantly) I wouldn't have to have the car on in order to charge the batteries. That way, I could go backpacking or whatever and still have a fully charged battery to come back to. Solar is producing a lot more than it used to as well, as I can pick up a 100w battery that can fully restore my battery in like seven hours of peak sun.

Then, I'll add some furniture to the bed, a raised platform with storage boxes underneath with lids that can come off easily. I;ll put backpacking and climbing gear, food, water, battery, tools, etc. in there. Then a mattress topper for added sleeping comfort, and a voltmeter for the battery state. Probably some curtains, too. I've got roofracks and I was going to make a basket out of thin piping as it'll be about half as much as a premade one and I can make it bigger. Mount some fog lights on relays on the back for illumination and maybe some marine speakers if I'm feeling ballsy for music when I camp.

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
Maintained campsites are bullshit. You get a tiny little spot crammed in with a bunch of other people many of whom feel the need to bring their own house. Also at least around Portland a campsite can cost up to 25$ a night.

I may be mistaken but you can pretty much camp anywhere within a national forest unless it specifically says otherwise.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

I get confused about whether you can camp free in state vs. national and parks vs. forests, but some of those combinations are definitely free (and legal). When I flew out to San Francisco and drove up to Oregon, I was camping out every night in the National Forests (I think those are the free ones? I always have to look it up because I can't keep them straight). The whole trip cost around $1,000 for nine days - rental car, plane tickets, food, gas, some supplies I bought beforehand (a second bag for my camping gear, etc.) I'd pass signs for campgrounds for $25-50 a night and it just blew my mind, because all my lodging except for the last day (I needed a shower so whoever sat next to me on the plane wouldn't have a horrible flight) was free. That hotel, a really lovely, run down piece of crap in a neighborhood that made me uncomfortable still cost $80, so I don't get why people don't just camp on vacations. You see so much more, too, and fewer people - it would honestly be a better deal even if you had to pay the $25 a night to use the forest and the parking lot campgrounds were free. Even if you're doing things in the cities, a lot of times you can find somewhere free or cheap to camp and get the best of both worlds, assuming you're not specifically going to exclusively look for wildlife.

Reset_Smith
Apr 9, 2009

It's SQUARE, motherfuck!
I just got back from a 3-day camping trip in the Appalachians. It was fun, but now the dynamic is weird between me and my dogs. I took a crap in the woods, and my spade broke (the ground was too hard for the plastic trowel - def should've bought a metal one) so I dug a shallow pit with my boot and covered the poo poo with leaves. This was about 50 yards from the camp. 10 minutes later, I was sitting by the campfire and the dogs walked up, smelling terrible. They had found my forest dump and eaten it. Now everything's awkward.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

I only camp at LARP events, so I use a full-on 4 metre canvas bell-tent. Unbelievably comfortable, can be put up in less than 15 minutes by one person, keeps warm at night and cool in the day, shitloads of room for gear and also to just chill out in.. Throw in an air-mattress and 'bed lasagne' (air-mattress, duvet, sleeping bag, second duvet, blanket, cloak over the top if necessary) and you're good for pretty much any UK weather.

Plus, bell-tents make absolutely amazing hotboxes.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Camrath posted:

'bed lasagne' (air-mattress, duvet, sleeping bag, second duvet, blanket, cloak over the top if necessary) and you're good for pretty much any UK weather.

This was a hilarious amount of sleeping poo poo and then I realized there was a sleeping bag in the middle of that mess too. Just get a real sleeping bag. :wtc:

I never really got why people bring air mattresses camping. Most are way too soft and they're so bulk. Give me a simple Thermarest or one of the self inflating 1-2" air pads any day. It's firm but not hard, and packs up and carries easy.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

I really wanted a thermarest, they seem just about perfect for me, specially the light one that only weights 700 grams , but the price after money conversion and taxes and all that poo poo to bring it to my country amount to something like what 720 dollars would be to an american.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

LogisticEarth posted:

This was a hilarious amount of sleeping poo poo and then I realized there was a sleeping bag in the middle of that mess too. Just get a real sleeping bag. :wtc:

I never really got why people bring air mattresses camping. Most are way too soft and they're so bulk. Give me a simple Thermarest or one of the self inflating 1-2" air pads any day. It's firm but not hard, and packs up and carries easy.

Different needs, different desires. When I camp it's generally in one place over a long weekend; I'm out and about running around and fighting from about 10am to 2am, with probably some heavy drinking thrown in towards the end- also frankly I'm not as young and supple as I used to be. I used to use a pop-up tent with a foam sleeping mat and just a sleeping bag, but frankly if I can afford to be as/more warm and comfortable than in my own bed at home, why the hell wouldn't I? With that setup I'm good for anything down to -5 or so, and can just discard layers if necessary if it's a warmer night.

Also, my girlfriend refuses to camp unless we have sufficient warmth, so there's that too.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Camrath posted:

Different needs, different desires. When I camp it's generally in one place over a long weekend; I'm out and about running around and fighting from about 10am to 2am, with probably some heavy drinking thrown in towards the end- also frankly I'm not as young and supple as I used to be.

Pretty much the same here (nearly 30 and mostly car-camping) with the exception of the heavy drinking and 2AM bedtime bit. It still seems like way too much. Although instead of "fighting" I'm usually hiking or other vigorous activity. Primarily I just absolutely hate hauling that much crap around just for bedding when you can get similar warmth from a good pad and bag, with maybe a single quilt to supplement.

I'm kind of crotchety when it comes to camping though. Part of the allure of it is the simplicity. I abhor gimmicky camping gadgets and try to keep the number of things I bring down. Although I splurge on some stuff like a good stove and camp chairs if car camping.

LogisticEarth fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jan 14, 2015

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

LogisticEarth posted:

Pretty much the same here (nearly 30 and mostly car-camping) with the exception of the heavy drinking and 2AM bedtime bit. It still seems like way too much. Although instead of "fighting" I'm usually hiking or other vigorous activity. Primarily I just absolutely hate hauling that much crap around just for bedding when you can get similar warmth from a good pad and bag, with maybe a single quilt to supplement.

I'm kind of crotchety when it comes to camping though. Part of the allure of it is the simplicity. I abhor gimmicky camping gadgets and try to keep the number of things I bring down. Although I splurge on some stuff like a good stove and camp chairs if car camping.

I dig what you're saying about simplicity- certainly, if I was going for a hiking trip or what have you I'd pack a lot lighter. But given that the context I camp in involves unloading the car at my pitch, then parking it up elsewhere and using the same site all weekend, I run with comfort over transportability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

candywife
Mar 3, 2011
I keep all my camping gear in the back of my SUV in a couple of those rubbermaid storage bins.
It's partially because I feel safer having a bunch of gear in case of an emergency situation, and partially because I randomly decide to go camping every other week or so.
I took all the seats out of my SUV (other than driver's and shotgun) since I rarely travel with more than one other person and it makes it so there's enough room in the back to sleep if the weather is too rough for tent camping.
Currently, in my car I have:
-The cooking box
It's comprised of a mix of expensive ultralight backpacking stuff and old thrift store metal crap I can put directly in the fire. I have pots, pans, silverware, some cheap plastic bowls and cafeteria style trays, the traditional tin mugs, and two Speyburn whiskey glasses for when I'm feeling fancy. There's also a roll of tinfoil, a bag full of random MREs, canned foods and condiments, a tin of tea, cooking oil, and a mini bottle of Dr. Bronners soap. For the actual cooking, I prefer to cook over the fire so I keep matches and general purpose camping fuel, but I also have a backpacking mini stove that runs on cute lil butane tanks.
-The bedding box
Has two HUGE heavy cold weather sleeping bags, several smaller thin summer sleeping bags, a few of those microfleece blankets since they're warm and lightweight, two fold up backpacking eggcrate style mats, and two yoga mats to throw down for extra cushion. I usually don't bring a pillow and instead just roll up a spare blanket or stuff some clean clothes into one of my cloth bags. I think there's also a box of hand warmers in there, since I like to open a few packs and toss them in the sleeping bag so it's nice and toasty when I'm ready to go to bed.
-The random stuff box
This usually has activities and stuff in it. Off the top of my head, I think I have battleship, a deck of zombie themed cards, dice and a pad of paper, an old portable tape player with a bunch of old timey radio program tapes, a harmonica, and cotton yarn and knitting needles (for making dish rags for camping use)
- 4 person coleman tent
Self explanatory
-Easy-up
Great for making shade or keeping an area dry when it rains.
-a box of tarps and old tent parts
I usually use these for when I sleep in my car. I'll toss a few tarps over the car windows for privacy and hook them down with bungee cords and stakes, but I have used them instead of the easy-up before.
- Other random poo poo stashed all over my car
Several LED lanterns, one propane lantern, a headlamp, mini-mag light, spare batteries of all sizes, first aid kit, misc. medicines (allergy pills, oregel, aspirin, lidocaine, poison oak soap, sunscreen, anti-nausea/motion sickness, caffeine pills, eye drops, chapstick, lotion, tums and pepcid), beach towels and a bathing suit, four different types of bug spray and citronella candles, duct tape, nylon rope, plastic bags full of more plastic bags, a roll of toilet paper, a three gallon jug full of 'nondrinking' water (but could drink it in emergency, it's just gross sink water), an extra set of clothes including boots and a heavy jacket, leather gloves and rubber coated gloves, a gas can and a few tools for the car, several swiss army knives and multitools.

I think that's about everything, but I'm probably forgetting something...

Before I go camping, I usually pick up a few bundles of wood and some food that I actually like/ is perishable (because MREs are poo poo)

I want to get a solar charger, some kind of weapon besides a knife, and an air mattress, but those are kinda luxury items IMO.
I need to get a new cooler, since my boyfriend forgot a package of hot dogs or sausage or something in there for a week and now there's no way I'm cleaning it, but I'll probably pick one up at the thrift store. It's been cold enough that I can keep my food in tuperware in the car, and some of it will be frozen when I wake up so it's not an immediate need.

Edit:
My Adventure Pass!!! It's like $35 for the WHOLE year and you basically get free camping in all the national forests around here. It's pretty rad.
I also have a poo poo-ton of maps of the area and booklets from campgrounds I've been to.

candywife fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 14, 2015

• Locked thread