Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

korrandark posted:

You should've seen it before it got patched on 360. You could not play the game for a day or two, and the majority of your supplies would be gone as well as a few survivors. It was pretty frustrating coming back and a survivor you have leveled up dies due to the simulation.

That's probably where a lot of the negative buzz about the supply system came from. In it's current form on the 360, it just makes things interesting when you come back.

The deal this week on Steam is too good to pass up. 360s may come and go, but Steam is forever*. Computers are a great way to play older games when the console is no longer in production.

*Steam may not actually be forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moronic Farce
Sep 21, 2008

"Farce... You'll always be the brony of my heart"
Samahiel, August 30 2013
I've heard this game is really hard on graphics cards, mine isn't fantastic so I have reservations about going for it.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Moronic Farce posted:

I've heard this game is really hard on graphics cards, mine isn't fantastic so I have reservations about going for it.

Someone else should probably address this but my computer is like, a yearrrr? old and it's just a dell with whatever cheap noida they put in it, and it runs better on "very nice" graphics settings than it ever did on my Xbox. (There is one higher setting, 4 in total)

Next 2'updates recorded, expect one by the weekend :3:

skoolmunkee fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Aug 6, 2014

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe

Moronic Farce posted:

I ran it on medium on an 8800GTX and it was playable.

skoolmunkee posted:

Next 2'updates recorded, expect one by the weekend :3:

Yissss. Meat and potatoes time.

Hotwire fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Aug 7, 2014

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Moronic Farce posted:

It's not so much that as it has really weird issues on AMD drivers, 14.4 is what you want. Otherwise you're going to freak out when there's all kinds of graphical bugs that develop that make you think your GPU is overheating on the 14.6/7 drivers.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Oh wow, I didn't even know there was some platforms to climb up to get to the other side of the bridge. I usually just jumped the gap with the truck and sped along to the church that way.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Oh wow, I didn't even know there was some platforms to climb up to get to the other side of the bridge. I usually just jumped the gap with the truck and sped along to the church that way.

Aah I'm trying not to reply in my own thread too much, but someone else mentioned that too. Jumping the bridge is surely the cool thing to do! I found that if you don't have enough speed you just fall into the little ravine and have to take the platforms anyway. Maybe I should have done that in the video....

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

skoolmunkee posted:

Aah I'm trying not to reply in my own thread too much, but someone else mentioned that too. Jumping the bridge is surely the cool thing to do! I found that if you don't have enough speed you just fall into the little ravine and have to take the platforms anyway. Maybe I should have done that in the video....

Do that but first download this mod.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

skoolmunkee posted:

Yea, first time I drove the truck too slow and it crashed into a swarm of the fuckers. Had to leave a bunch of stuff behind in the truck, too, because for some inane reason you can't access follower inventories without switching characters.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

skoolmunkee posted:

Aah I'm trying not to reply in my own thread too much,
Wait what? Why? Is that somehow a bad thing?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Had to leave a bunch of stuff behind in the truck, too, because for some inane reason you can't access follower inventories without switching characters.

The beginning of the game is pretty interesting because it shows mechanics you don't see for the rest of the game and you can cheese some other mechanics; you can freely switch between the two main characters (Maya/Marcus) until you get over the bridge without having to go home first. No special zombies will spawn until you get to the church and get introduced, so you can use that time to get geared up (using car trunks makes this much more viable for getting shittons of supplies than it used to be). The three characters literally cannot die until you get introduced either(if you die by any means you'll spawn right next to the church and then go through the introduction).

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Aug 7, 2014

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Saint Sputnik posted:

Do that but first download this mod.

There is also a mod that repairs the bridge which makes the starting area easier to get back to if you wanted to. Not sure why you ever would though.

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal

Drakenel posted:

Wait what? Why? Is that somehow a bad thing?

They're really cracking down on artificially inflating the number of posts in threads to make the OP look more popular, it's an epidemic.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Mr. Fortitude posted:

There is also a mod that repairs the bridge which makes the starting area easier to get back to if you wanted to. Not sure why you ever would though.

That's the one I use, and it's because in Breakdown sometimes you'll get enclaves of people up there asking for help and gently caress trying to ramp the bitch every time. Ideally you'd be able to invest time and resources to fix things like that, clear junk cars off the road, etc. I'd rather fight off encroaching zombies so someone could nail some planks to the bridge than so he can ransack a house to bring a backpack full of clocks back to his base.

bad news bareback
Jan 16, 2009

Mr. Fortitude posted:

It's a great place to find large backpacks if you're playing Breakdown.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Hello, welcome to the next episode of State of Decay: Running Errands in The Zombie Apocalypse

Skippy is going to be joining me for most of these!

I realize I breezed right over a number of game mechanics which could use more explanation, but that can get pretty boring in a video and this one was very informationy already. So if you have a question about a thing I mentioned or that you saw, please ask! Myself or someone can answer.

And here's our current survivors:

Marcus Campbell - Weak against curbs.
Leadership, Powerhouse (specced for heavy)

Ed Jones - He'll be fine, just fine.
Reflexes

Maya Torres - Colton? Strand?
Eagle-eyed (+shooting), Soldier (+shooting, +fighting) (specced for rifles)

Lily Ritter - You killed her undad. She likes to talk.
Loved movies (-cardio), Asthma attacks (-cardio)

Alan Gunderson - He's the kind of man who doesn't have a butt. Also an otaku.
Range shooting (+shooting), Eagle eyed (+shooting), Cop (+shooting)

Pastor William - As pastor of Church of the Ascension, you'd think he'd have more experience with those who are risen.
Bum knee (-crouching)

Sam Hoffman - Ask her about her big dick, I guess.
Nimble, Loved cycling (+cardio), Problem solver (+wits)

Jacob Ritter - Lily's flaky brother.
Powerhouse

Ashlyn Noland - Never left the house. Probably a cat lady.
Nimble, Fitness Guru (+cardio)

Caden O'Rourke - iunno
Mechanic, Cook, Problem Solver (+wits), Bad Back (-encumberance)

Dominga Nieminen - Shoutout to hot moms!
Fast Hands (+fighting)

OK, now we've got a load of new people we need to start prioritizing. There's a number of decisions we can make regarding who to take on missions (and level up, but put at risk in some instances) both as played character or backup, who to assist or not if they go missing or need help, etc.

Note that we can't make survivors stay home. There's a mod which lets you do this, but in the vanilla game everyone has to pitch in and will go off independently to try and do their own things.

The next episode is already recorded, but towards the end of the week I'll be doing the next one or two. I'd like to hear what you guys want me to do! Prioritize any mission types (MOST story missions will wait for you), give certain weapon types to certain characters, start using someone (or don't use someone), anyplace you think I should go or things you want me to try to find, etc. It doesn't have to be a good idea or a safe one. :3:

One more thing:

The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks posted:

Zombie Attributes

Too often, the undead have been said to possess superhuman powers: unusual strength, lightning speed, telepathy, etc. Never forget that the body of the undead is, for all practical purposes, human. What changes do occur are in the way this new, reanimated body is used by the now-infected brain. The somnambulist brain has those tools, and only those tools, at its disposal. It cannot create new ones out of thin air. But it can, as you will see, use these tools in unconventional combinations, or push their durability beyond normal human limits.

Sight
The eyes of a zombie are no different than those of a normal human. While still capable (given their rate of decomposition) of transmitting visual signals to the brain, how the brain interprets these signals is another matter. Studies are inconclusive regarding the undead’s visual abilities. They can spot prey at distances comparable to a human, but whether they can distinguish a human from one of their own is still up for debate. One theory suggests that the movements made by humans, which are quicker and smoother than those of the undead, is what causes them to stand out to the zombie eye. Experiments have been done in which humans have attempted to confuse approaching ghouls by mimicking their motions and adopting a shambling, awkward limp. To date, none of these attempts have succeeded. It has been suggested that zombies possess night vision, a fact that explains their skill at nocturnal hunting. This theory has been debunked by the fact that all zombies are expert night feeders, even those without eyes.

Sound
There is no question that zombies have excellent hearing. Not only can they detect sound-they can determine its direction. The basic range appears to be the same as that for humans. Experiments with extreme high and low frequencies have yielded negative results. Tests have also shown that zombies are attracted by any sounds, not just those made by living creatures. It has been recorded that ghouls will notice sounds ignored by living humans. The most likely, if unproven, explanation is that zombies depend on all their senses equally. Humans are sightoriented from birth, depending on other senses only if the primary one is lost. Perhaps this is not a handicap shared by the walking dead. If so, it would explain their ability to hunt, fight, and feed in total darkness.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
I reckon you should go out for a rip, blaring through a residential area with your highbeams on and leaning on the horn. Bonus points if you can yell anti-undead slurs out the window.

Edit: Also is there a hospital, graveyard, morgue, or Municipal Corpse Pile you can go rooting around in? We need to prove Max Brooks and conventional horror movie wisdom wrong.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
With as many hordes walking around, no wonder another infestation popped up.

Fast motion horde killing is always a delight, incidentally

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
This LP is off to a great start, the only complaint I might have is that it's not updated fast enough for me. Good job as usual, Skoolmunkee (and Skippy).

Also, there was a Steam sale for this and I managed to miss it? Goddamnit..

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
If we are really voting for the skill, I'll vote that we give Marcus The Shove: being able to have a guaranteed knockdown is always handy, and it's a faster move than the (awesome) jump-kick.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Any real reason why you didnt pick this up for PC instead?

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

FrickenMoron posted:

Any real reason why you didnt pick this up for PC instead?

Who are you asking? I'm playing on PC. (Though originally I played on Xbox)

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Weird, the video quality sure doesnt look like the PC version though. Maybe its just the resolution then.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

FrickenMoron posted:

Weird, the video quality sure doesnt look like the PC version though. Maybe its just the resolution then.

Ah I see. I'm happy to admit that I don't know a lot about video, I will have a look at my files and see where it may have degraded. Is it just that it doesn't look very sharp? I'm recording at 720p but perhaps my bitrate (3000) is too low or something.

Edit: OK it's encoding to mp4 where things drop, I'm going to try re-encoding it at a higher bitrate and see how much it improves. I don't think I'll bother re-uploading the first 2 though. Thank you for letting me know!

skoolmunkee fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Aug 9, 2014

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

radintorov posted:

If we are really voting for the skill, I'll vote that we give Marcus The Shove: being able to have a guaranteed knockdown is always handy, and it's a faster move than the (awesome) jump-kick.

Easily the best melee skill is the trip, you end up knocking down every zombie around you for an easy coup de grace.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Party Plane Jones posted:

Easily the best melee skill is the trip, you end up knocking down every zombie around you for an easy coup de grace.

I agree, but that's a skill for Nimble characters.

please keep suggesting/voting!

countzio
Jan 30, 2014

Voting for Kick because kicking zombies is always a fun time. It's how I manage to suffer through the Dead Island series.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Killing zombies with car doors is fun. It's less fun if you have to do it 400 times though. (Breakdown DLC :argh:)

EDIT:

Party Plane Jones posted:

I like the spin kick better for nimble characters. Zombies that hit a wall after you spin kick them will instantly die so you can easily take out groups of zombies if you position yourself right.

Wiseblood fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Aug 9, 2014

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Despite being on CryEngine 3 the game doesn't look too great no matter the platform I've noticed. But if she were playing the 360 version you'd notice a lot more pop in with zombies and buildings.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Getting shove to work is a pain. It's anyway an unimportant step towards the REAL skill of the powerhouse. (If you aren't going heavy machinegun/shotgun with them)

So I guess I say Kick it rather than shove.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Ignore them all and get leapfrog. Or get leapfrog in addition to some form of kicking skill, I forget which category its in.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Saint Sputnik posted:

Ignore them all and get leapfrog. Or get leapfrog in addition to some form of kicking skill, I forget which category its in.
Leapfrog is a Reflex/Nimble skill, while Marcus is a Powerhouse. :ssh:
Although we really should give Leapfrog to at least one of our Nimble survivors.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Kick all the zombies. Marcus must kick his way to victory.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Ice Phisherman posted:

Kick all the zombies. Marcus must kick his way to victory.

Kicktory?

Moronic Farce
Sep 21, 2008

"Farce... You'll always be the brony of my heart"
Samahiel, August 30 2013
Marcus already has more kick than any zombie can handle so that upgrade can shove right off.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
It's expanded more in Lifeline, but when it comes to bites in State of Decay bites are survivalble with antibotics - the idea of ampuatation doesn't come up. Aside from that change, it's Romeo/Kirkman rules, aside from the special infected.

Shame you didn't show off the rescue Jacob mission - it's a nice character bit. There's a lot of replayabilty, even in story - there are a few variable dialogue exchanges, depending on who you're playing as, and what happens.

Are you going to do the DLCs? Breakdown is just a challenge mode, but Lifeline is pretty story based, with a lot of variables.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
I love this game - I brought it ages ago thinking it was "dead state" and was disappointed and surprised all at once. surpointed. Anyway, I played it for a while but it didn't grab me for some reason which is weird as it has all the elements I love in games - open world, whacky physics, zombies, shooting and melle. I think its that the game doesn't ensure that you have a character that is you - I was bummed when I lost Maya and Marcus on my first (and only) playthrough. So, I stopped.

But when I saw this LP I decided gently caress it I'll give it another go and I am really enjoying it! I think it looks great as well....

Also, I found Maya! I did a jump and my car did this:

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

OldMemes posted:

It's expanded more in Lifeline, but when it comes to bites in State of Decay bites are survivalble with antibotics - the idea of ampuatation doesn't come up. Aside from that change, it's Romeo/Kirkman rules, aside from the special infected.

Shame you didn't show off the rescue Jacob mission - it's a nice character bit. There's a lot of replayabilty, even in story - there are a few variable dialogue exchanges, depending on who you're playing as, and what happens.

Are you going to do the DLCs? Breakdown is just a challenge mode, but Lifeline is pretty story based, with a lot of variables.

I haven't done the Jacob mission because we're not there yet. :] The storyline will give it to us soon.

I probably will show Breakdown in some capacity, maybe bonus videos or a stream? Not for a while yet though, since it's essentially "utilize everything you learned in story mode." Lifeline I haven't actually played yet! I have a feeling it'll spoil the main story though, so I figured it won't come til the end.

Cerebulon
Mar 29, 2010

Destroyer of Worlds*
(*No worlds were harmed in the making of this title.)

Lifeline is very much its own thing, it even plays pretty differently in terms of long-term goals and general gameplay 'flow' (Compared to the scout/scavenge cycle in the last video).
But it definitely works best played after the base game in terms of story stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I love this game; it was game of the year 2013, for me. So when I saw this:

skoolmunkee posted:

The developer, Undead Labs, impressed a lot of people with this game. Microsoft Studios is the game's publisher (and now partner), and has given Undead Labs a lot of support for developing DLC and their next game (working title: Class 4) which aims to offer the same sort of thing...

I was like "Ooh!" :swoon:

skoolmunkee posted:

... but as a larger MMO experience on XBox One.

... But then immediately like "Oh." :smith:

I perked up and then slumped in disappointment so fast it was like a whole-body shrug.

Anyway though; only just discovered this thread so I've only watched the first video. (I'm enjoying it so far.)

Guns are good for getting your character out of trouble (say if you run out of stamina and there's a horde on top of you), but yeah, that's about the only situation when you'd want to use them rather than a melee weapon.

I'd actually never thought of using the taunts to draw zombies out of a building... I'll have to remember that. The moment where you go through the door into a zombie-filled building is... fraught. Usually it's the third-person camera that's my worst enemy in that situation, actually. Also that the building interiors are often really dark and your character's torch points in the direction they're facing, rather than the direction you're pointing the camera.

• Locked thread