Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
Oh poo poo, barely two hours ago I was wondering if anyone was ever going to do an LA Noire LP, and here one is! I got it the last time it was on sale on Steam and I enjoyed it for a bit, but I stopped playing when I reached the end of the Homicide Division story arc. Now I have an excuse to get back into it. Can't have nickmeister ruining the plot before I get to it :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

Tiggum posted:

I still don't get how you're supposed to know whether to choose "lie" or "doubt". I failed that first interrogation about four times and still don't know why the "doubt" option is correct. As far as I can see it should be lie, because you do have evidence that Gage hated Jews - the witness statement. But for some reason you can't bring that up. :iiam:

I know I felt the same way. Eventually you start to understand which one is which, but it took me about five or six cases, and then there's still the people who are really "good" liars and don't leave you much to work with.

I think I'd almost prefer a game with fewer cases in exchange for a richer interrogation system. It'd be cool to have the option to good cop/ bad cop someone, or mislead a suspect into giving themselves up. As it is, most interrogations seem to go something like this.

Perp: I want a lawyer!
Cole: Nah.
Perp: Well, uh, you can't prove anything!
[DOUBT -> DOUBT -> LIE]
Perp: And I woulda gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for you meddling kids!
Cole: You're going to the gas chamber! *fist bumps partner*

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

Duckbehindcover posted:

You're off the force.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DF6Oz4KBww

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

nickmeister posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for "noire" films? Been wanting to watch one, lately. I'll pick one and write a review, or something. Maybe it'll be funny?

I'm by no means an expert but my favorites are Double Indemnity, and Sunset Boulevard. Touch of Evil, and The Third Man are pretty great too.
edit: You could always do a "Let's Watch" commentary track with other goons.

The Casualty fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Aug 16, 2014

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

Great Joe posted:

:geno:

No mention of the loving MALTESE FALCON!? Christ, goons.

Well thank God you came along, then!

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

My problem with "doubt" is that doubt doesn't mean doubt. It means threaten. When you realize this it makes selecting doubt a lot easier. I seem to recall something talking about how they changed the wording so it didn't seem like you were being an rear end in a top hat to the suspect. Too bad Cole still threatens them. :rolleyes:

I keep trying to play this game (even bought all the DLC, never touched them) but always quit when I get to the second disc. It's fun but I just end up opening a guide to help me complete a case.

To be fair, if the available choices were "Truth," "Lie," and "Be an rear end in a top hat," the interrogation system would become a lot more one dimensional for most players :v:

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby
I kinda wish the WWII flashback stuff was instead replaced with little bits about Cole being a total douche to his family when he's off-duty. I'm picturing something like Agent Van Alden from Boardwalk Empire, entirely cold and procedural, yet darkly flawed; prone to snapping, only without the whole insane evangelical Christian angle. Granted I only got about halfway through the game before I lost interest, so maybe the war flashbacks do get interesting eventually.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

Automatic Slim posted:

LA Noire set in the 60s/70s like Adam 12 or Starsky and Hutch.

I like Adam 12. Also that counterpart series about the firemen and paramedics, Emergency! I get that MeTV channel that has all those old shows on it.

Also lol I bet a game with the word "Whore" in the title is going to go over really well with parents and ratings boards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

SelenicMartian posted:

LA Noire traffic generator is goofy. To save memory it spawns many clones of your current car and a few other models. Driving trucks on narrow roads is a blast.

In LA Noire's defense, virtually all open-world games conserve resources by spawning cars from a limited pool of vehicles, which usually includes your own. Pretty much every GTA does this, at least.

• Locked thread