Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RedTeam
Feb 5, 2011

SHAZAM!
some tane is worse than etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Fetus Tree posted:

I saw the term 'gaffer tape' ITT and I don't really know much about it, somebody care to educate me?

Better more fibrous duct tape

Kidsolo
Dec 4, 2006

Give the dog a bone

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Fetus Tree posted:

I saw the term 'gaffer tape' ITT and I don't really know much about it, somebody care to educate me?

Gaffer tape is black fabric tape that is hella strong and sticky but easy to tear into whatever length you need if you know what you are doing. It tends to come off surfaces cleanly, for the most part. It is named for gaffers, or head lighting dudes in the movies. It's used to tape down cables and in applications similar to duct tape where strength is required.

The general rule is: if it moves and shouldn't, use gaff. If It doesn't move and should, use WD40.

E: other colours of gaff are also available and used as marking tape, eg yellow, white and flourescent colours. The weave of the fabric is much finer than duct tape and most gaff has a matt finish, although you can get shiny versions (but don't they are kinda lovely for stage use).

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Thanks guys. What does the increased fiber content mean? Just increased structural integrity?

Can we make a 'tape guide'? I've seen some other types of tape in here too (teflon and I think another one i wasn't familiar with) where they sound pretty cool and might be useful but I just don't know much about it.

Maybe a tape flow chart or something like

Suggested Uses
Scotch Tape: Gift Wrapping
Duct Tape: Wallets, holding together your ghetto whip

Subliminal Sauce
Apr 6, 2010

Spreading freedom and spreading it thick; that's just a thing us right-wing nutjobs do!
Protip: always sniff your tape when you plape.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:

mookface posted:

Not all tape is adhesive tape you tapists

tape yourself

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Fetus Tree posted:

Can we make a 'tape guide'? I've seen some other types of tape in here too (teflon and I think another one i wasn't familiar with) where they sound pretty cool and might be useful but I just don't know much about it.

I need to look through all the different 3M electrical tape stuff. (General Tape like super 33 or 88, packing rubber mastic, semiconducting, and foil shield)

Subliminal Sauce posted:

Some of those tapes do smell really nice and that probably kills brain cells.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Aug 3, 2014

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Subliminal Sauce posted:

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Fetus Tree posted:

Thanks guys. What does the increased fiber content mean? Just increased structural integrity?

Suggested Uses

Tuck tape is the best for when you don't mind destroying what youre adhering it to. When you care about wrecking whatever it is use gaffer or duct tape. Use masking tape for masking only. It sucks absolute balls for anything other than that. Packing tape for cardboard boxes. Scotch tape for light paper. Aliminum foil tape should be used on actual duct work because oddly enough duct tape isn't up to code.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
best tape is that military duct tape that cost like 40 dollars a roll, that they use to tape our jet fighters back together with.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

dontcareaboutname posted:

best tape is that military duct tape that cost like 40 dollars a roll, that they use to tape our jet fighters back together with.

they should make it red instead so that way there'd be real life governmental red tape

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Christmas Miracle posted:

gorilla tape is the best tape

truth, the gorilla glue company is a fine maker of adhesives

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

i have an irrational hatred for those microcassette tapes used in old answering machines and portables. no i was not raped by a tape or anything, just dont appreciate the formfactor. its like it was made needlessly small with no improvement

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

voting third party posted:

I used to work in a tape factory. Imagine the sound of a roll of tape bigger than you are rapidly unwinding into a machine that cuts it into regular sized rolls of tape.

I'm interested in this!

For me, my favorite tape is clear cellophane tape. It's not the same as Scotch "Invisible" tape, but it is like that for of packing tape…except it's thin, like Scotch tape size, tearable, and totally see-through.

I don't even know if they make it now, but that's a good tape!

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

i like the blue painting tape. its like masking tape but more durable. and blue!

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Ruby got Railed posted:

i like the blue painting tape. its like masking tape but more durable. and blue!

Yeah but frogtape is best

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

mookface posted:

Yeah but frogtape is best

beta max

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFRkhUMYiaY

Sticky tape and rust! :yayclod:

Full episode: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOULWR4h4Io

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Aug 3, 2014

Turboooooo
Mar 3, 2010
I can't believe nobody has mentioned surgical tape yet. Just as good as duct tape, but if you chop your leg off by accident you can just tape it back on.

ScratchAndSniff
Sep 28, 2008

This game stinks

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
lol I was just at the home depot and bought like 8 different types of tape.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I'm trying to beat Far Cry 1 but it's hard as poo poo, should I ignore my retard conscience and just cheat and beat it?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Basically tape owns.

Back in my high school artist days i worked with tape a lot and one time the teacher came up and held a piece over her mouth and made eye contact, do you think she was into me or what??

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Shithouse Dave posted:

Gaffer tape is legitimate tape.

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!

Three-Phase posted:

This is a cool tape trick.

Take scotch tape
Go into a really dark room with no lighting like an interior bathroom and wait a minute for your eyes to adjust
Look at tape
Pull tape

(This might not work if the humidity is really high)

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triboluminescence
That's neat. I think I might have to change my name to Sugar Nips.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
Tape is society's thinly veiled metaphor in support of crypto-fascism.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Fetus Tree posted:

Suggested Uses

if i remember right the other big thing is that gaff tape uses natural rubber in the adhesive or some such. Basically imagine something as strong or stronger than duct tape, but it comes off clean and easy when you want it to

http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Gaffers-Widths-Variable-Lengths/dp/B004PX4ZBS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1407045007&sr=8-2&keywords=pro+gaff

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Fetus Tree posted:

deadlifts of tape world

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Glue is better

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp

Ruby got Railed posted:

i have an irrational hatred for those microcassette tapes used in old answering machines and portables. no i was not raped by a tape or anything, just dont appreciate the formfactor. its like it was made needlessly small with no improvement

it was the microsd of its day. imagine being able to record your mom taking fifteen minutes to undress after leaving a small cordless phone in her room.

now imagine replaying the footage back for the very first time, barely able to contain your erection... u still have enough space on that tape to hold a linux.

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp

vyst posted:

Tape your balls to your rear end in a top hat op

This is so good.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

either gaffer tape or spike tape

all other tapes are fuckin plato's cave shadows of the above

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Spike tape is cool cause it comes in so a many colours :buddy:
I would like to add glow tape to your list tho please

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

dontcareaboutname posted:

Came here to post that:

Speed tape is an aluminized adhesive tape used to do minor repairs on aircraft, and as a temporary repair material until a more permanent repair can be carried out. It has an appearance similar to duct tape, with which it is sometimes mistaken, but its adhesive is capable of sticking on an airplane fuselage or wing at high speeds, hence the name.

Properties
It is resistant to water, solvents, and flames, and will reflect heat and UV light.[1] It is also able to expand and contract through a wide range of temperatures.[2]

Use
Speed tape is sometimes used to protect sealant whilst curing,[3] or to patch non-critical components of a plane.[2] It can also be used for patching bullet damage to combat aircraft.[4][5]

Use of speed tape should be authorized by engineering teams and comply with certain requirements. Fines can be levied against airlines that use it to make improper repairs.[6]

I'm effort posting like crazy right before bed.

I apologize for effort posting.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
gaff is undergarment for keeping your balls + dick flipped in and back. gaffer tape is the tape practitioners of this art use, hope this elucidates.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

thread title: some gape is worse than others
thread content: teh fwiggen goatman!!

• Locked thread