Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bombadilillo posted:

Hmm, im glad if they did, when I was on PSN I could not find anything that said that. It was standard edition or gold edition. No mention of an upgrade. I amazoned a copy and its already shipped so I guess thats that. Its on PSN for not having things clear sales pages I guess.

One of the panels under the pre-order section of the PS4 store mentions it, but it should have been mentioned on the pre-order listing as well.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Yechezkel posted:

One of the panels under the pre-order section of the PS4 store mentions it, but it should have been mentioned on the pre-order listing as well.

That's weird, I was looking all over and reading the fine print and I managed to miss it. Doesn't really adversely affect me. Id rather have a physical copy. Just weird I missed it.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
So, got my voucher for the $15 in store credit, and obviously it's the time of year of too many games coming out.

Considering COD:AW (haven't played one since MW2 but Destiny's multiplayer isn't doing much for me), GTA5 (never played it last gen, haven't played a GTA since Vice City, did enjoy SR3 and 4), and maybe LBP3. Any suggestions from the peanut gallery?

I do have Mordor and TLOU already. And Peggle 2 of course. Very dubious towards Dragon Age after the last several years of Bioware. The only Far Cry I've played is 2 and that didn't do much for me thanks to the respawning checkpoint bullshit.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now

Scyron posted:

Now, all I need to experience is that PS4 Journey sunset, as the player slides down the sand dunes, before entering an underground part.

One of the best shots in anything ever.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tortolia posted:

So, got my voucher for the $15 in store credit, and obviously it's the time of year of too many games coming out.

Considering COD:AW (haven't played one since MW2 but Destiny's multiplayer isn't doing much for me), GTA5 (never played it last gen, haven't played a GTA since Vice City, did enjoy SR3 and 4), and maybe LBP3. Any suggestions from the peanut gallery?

I do have Mordor and TLOU already. And Peggle 2 of course. Very dubious towards Dragon Age after the last several years of Bioware. The only Far Cry I've played is 2 and that didn't do much for me thanks to the respawning checkpoint bullshit.

I wouldn't judge FC4 based on 2. Its going to be a lot more like 3 which is much more...accessible I guess? a lor more people seems to be into 3. I liked it. GTA 5 is a must buy if you haven't played it yet. I'd go for that over FC if I hadn't played the poo poo out of the 360 version already.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Tortolia posted:

Respawning checkpoints are gone for Far Cry. You take areas forts and it eleminates patrols in that area. Frankly both FC4 and DAI look pretty good. Both have reviews out too.

And we're into the twitch age. Go find streaming play or any game you are interested in. It's all getting played by someone, early for those 2 games.

Also 90% or FC4 stuff I've seen has been run on PS4. Looks like the best platform for the game.+

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Nov 16, 2014

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Don't let Far Cry 2 stand in the way of 3 and/or 4.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Tortolia posted:

The checkpoints didnt respawn in FC3, in 4 apparently you can respawn them if you want to, but it doesnrt happen automatically if thats your only farcry objection. I love the PS2 era GTA games and the SR games but didnt particularly like the gameplay in GTA 5, traded it about half finished, but that is a minority opinion. I have no opinion on COD or LBP because I havent really played much of those franchises in general.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

Tortolia posted:

GTA is great. Far Cry 2 and Far Cry 3 were VASTLY different games. Out of those choices I would go with Far Cry because I loved 3 and played through it a couple of times. The world is huge and the writing is really funny. I think multiplayer is going to be quite a bit of fun in Far Cry 4 based on all the videos I've watched.

GTA5 is a pretty awesome story too and the world is even bigger than Far Cry's. I'm dubious on the multiplayer though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I know there have been some leaked videos etc. but has anyone reported how well GTA plays in first person? That might tip me over the edge and make it a day one purchase if it plays well. There aren't enough open world FP games.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

I have some high expectations for the graphical improvements in GTA V because I remember the PS3 version really struggling with the older hardware in getting the most of it, and even then the results were really impressive. I'm pretty sure I'm going to be satisfied with this. I doubt the racing parts will be on par with Drive Club (never played it, waited for the PS+ version) quality-wise, but I'll finally get my small racing fix. From all the vids I've seen so far it looks pretty good.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

NESguerilla posted:

I know there have been some leaked videos etc. but has anyone reported how well GTA plays in first person? That might tip me over the edge and make it a day one purchase if it plays well. There aren't enough open world FP games.
Yeah, I want to know this also. Does it actually feel snappy like a proper FPS, or does it feel like GTA but the camera is inside your character model's head? If it's the latter it wouldn't be enough of an improvement for me to consider buying it again.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, I want to know this also. Does it actually feel snappy like a proper FPS, or does it feel like GTA but the camera is inside your character model's head? If it's the latter it wouldn't be enough of an improvement for me to consider buying it again.

From what I understand from watching streams and hearing commentary is that it feels like an fps and they even have options to change the controls to be more like an fps if you like (click in the stick to run rather than tap x). It's not just plopping the camera on the models head.

snodig
Oct 5, 2014
I watched several GTA V streams on the PS4 earlier and the graphics looked really good as expected, but the thing that got me most excited was when the streamer said the framerate was rock solid and had no drops whatsoever.

The first person mode looked very responsive and fun. Things like getting drunk changed your vision, or when he got on a bike and put on a helmet the vision changed as well. The option to change the controls when you go into first person mode looked good as well, I even think the streamer mentioned you could changed the fov.

Also the loading was much better, and things like changing character was very fast.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Yeah I've been watching a bunch of GTA 5 streams too and the FPS mode looks fantastic. I don't know if I'd bother using it in combat but driving looks fantastic.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

snodig posted:

I even think the streamer mentioned you could changed the fov.
On a console game? Niceeeeeeeeee.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I have a feeling video games are gonna get fun again next week. It started snowing and it gets dark at 5 PM. I'm not even mad...

snodig
Oct 5, 2014
I can't confirm it. The stream went down shortly after he started taking requests on what to show, but he definitely mentioned something about fov and seperate controls for first person mode.

Oh and I posted in the GTA 5 thread, but I can repost it here:

Someone in the thread called wallmart and they said the game was in store. So you could probably go and buy it tonight.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Im getting made excited for GTAV. But I dont like driving in stuff and GTA missions always get boring for me after an hour or so. Does the FPS make this a game I want? Ill probably wait and game fly it or buy cheaper later. How full of macho bullshit is it?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Awesome. Calling Wal Mart to check :)

Poop. They don't have it :(

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:
You have to hurt someone very badly and they don't agree with the way you are getting the info. I already hated that section, hated there was a trophy to do every form of it too. FPS is going to be rough for that mission.

The game probably isn't particularly great at what it does, but rather it does so much and well enough that it is as a whole, pretty great, in both a polished AAA sense with good voice acting, music, graphics, standard 3 person shooting, with some decent->great driving controls, once each character gets maxed driving skill.

Tomorrow is going to be a long day.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Bombadilillo posted:

Im getting made excited for GTAV. But I dont like driving in stuff and GTA missions always get boring for me after an hour or so. Does the FPS make this a game I want? Ill probably wait and game fly it or buy cheaper later. How full of macho bullshit is it?

I remember really enjoying a number of the side missions (minus the towing ones, gently caress I only dream of them removing it in this version - obviously not though). It's still good ol' GTA. Kill some people, see how long you last before the military takes you down. There's a ton of side activities in the game, more than I can remember, as well as some random events that get triggered when you're in the area. It all depends if this is your kind of game. Hopefully they've added a few. I think I remember reading that they added more stuff to do in the ocean. I dunno if you'll like it. I think it's totally worth the risk buying though.

e: list of side missions, including minigames, gambling, racing, stadium activities, etc: http://gta.wikia.com/Category:Side_Missions

e2: oops, actually that's from all the GTA games. derp. Try this: http://gta.wikia.com/Grand_Theft_Auto_V#Hobbies_and_Pastimes

Scrotum Modem fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Nov 17, 2014

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:
The online is sort of an MMO in that there will be 29 crazy assholes driving around the map shooting up the place.

I hope there will be a full goon lobby sometime after release, for hilarious bus races or drunk lawnmower/golf cart racing.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

I know everyone is excited for the new games coming out this week, but I just fired up BF4 for the first time in a while and got sucked back in. Online is smooth as butter and I had forgotten how incredibly hectic 64 player matches can be. I know there have been quite a few sales, and it is definitely worth picking up. I had no trouble finding matches.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

the truth posted:

I know everyone is excited for the new games coming out this week, but I just fired up BF4 for the first time in a while and got sucked back in. Online is smooth as butter and I had forgotten how incredibly hectic 64 player matches can be. I know there have been quite a few sales, and it is definitely worth picking up. I had no trouble finding matches.

I know I saw it real cheep in some black friday add or another.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

the truth posted:

Yeah, it's a fun game and the last expansion is coming out on Tuesday, so I am also holding off on the new games.

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity
Too many good games coming out this month. Fortunately Christmas is around the corner and I already persuaded my girlfriend to get me LBP3 as a present ( she will surely love it, too ). GTAV and DA:I I have already paid for, but I'll save Far Cry 4 for later.

It's a great time to be a gamer, folks!

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

Bombadilillo posted:

That's weird, I was looking all over and reading the fine print and I managed to miss it. Doesn't really adversely affect me. Id rather have a physical copy. Just weird I missed it.

I know it's a moot point now, but I went through the same thing. That specific FC4 pre-order panel only shows up on one page of the PSN store. I think it was the "New" section. All the other pages / sections with a FC4 panel don't have that info splash on it. It was weird. I pre-ordered on PSN and have 4 add-ons with it so I'm assuming I got the LE stuff.

FC4 and DA:I and all their items are downloading now for me. No multiplayer in anything for me tonight, but it'll be worth it tomorrow at midnight. :dance:

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

My console I bought at launch finally has games that I

1. dont have to talk myself into buying
2. are more plentiful then I can reasonably buy all at their release

Let the slight backlog begin!

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

Tortolia posted:

I'll throw a vote in for AW. It's one of the most fun multis I've played in a while. The Exo stuff gives it a kind of Unreal Tournament feel with the dodging, and boost jumping then slamming down on someone is one of the most satisfying ways to kill another player in any game. There are some issues with the online though. Mainly, there are times when the connections suck for everyone and it's just horrible to try and play. YMMV though because there have been times when people were bitching in the CoD thread about lag all night and I was fine. There are also glitchy wallhack places on a few of the maps but their effectiveness varies depending on what gametype your playing. The developer is supposedly aware of them already and working on a patch so hopefully they'll be gone soonish.

I feel like LBP3 will go cheap really quick, or end up as a PS+ freebie down the road like 1, 2, and Karting so I'd just wait on that unless you really love LBP.

Undead Muppet
Apr 29, 2007

Static Rook posted:

FC4 and DA:I and all their items are downloading now for me. No multiplayer in anything for me tonight, but it'll be worth it tomorrow at midnight. :dance:

How big is the FC4 download? I'm trying to decide between buying it off PSN to get the pre-order stuff but then having to d/l it over very slow rural internet, or just picking up a physical copy at Walmart Tuesday after work. Although not having to switch the disc out would be a nice bonus, since I have a physical copy of CoD:AW and it's MP is really good and very addictive this year.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Undead Muppet posted:

How big is the FC4 download? I'm trying to decide between buying it off PSN to get the pre-order stuff but then having to d/l it over very slow rural internet, or just picking up a physical copy at Walmart Tuesday after work. Although not having to switch the disc out would be a nice bonus, since I have a physical copy of CoD:AW and it's MP is really good and very addictive this year.

You can preorder online and they will ship it to you, or site to store, so you still get the preorder stuff. The limited edition is anywhere you preorder it. And I want to say it was 39 gigs? Not sure though.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

Undead Muppet posted:

Pre-load is between 23 to 24 GB.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Undead Muppet posted:

This is something i'm always curious about too. I don't have the fastest internet, so getting the game on disc and installing to the hard drive that way is in some cases faster. Games like GTAV are 42GB so in that case i'm glad i'm taking advantage of that Target deal.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

First Person GTAV makes the game so much better.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007
Hm, curious about something that I noticed with Destiny I think as well... Dragon Age is downloading, and says it's 5.2GB, something like that. Destiny was similarly much smaller than its final size during the initial preload. Is it just downloading enough to make it playable, or does it do it in parts or something?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Flumpus posted:

Hm, curious about something that I noticed with Destiny I think as well... Dragon Age is downloading, and says it's 5.2GB, something like that. Destiny was similarly much smaller than its final size during the initial preload. Is it just downloading enough to make it playable, or does it do it in parts or something?

the D/l menu shows the minimum to launch and the rest comes in the background after that.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

the D/l menu shows the minimum to launch and the rest comes in the background after that.

Ah, ok, thanks. Is there any way to view the full size/progress? I feel kinda dumb not being able to find it, but surely it's somewhere, right?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Flumpus posted:

Ah, ok, thanks. Is there any way to view the full size/progress? I feel kinda dumb not being able to find it, but surely it's somewhere, right?

can you find the game's entry in the storage settings menu? probably says more there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Flumpus posted:

Hit the Options button on the game's icon then go to information. You'll see the Download Status there.

• Locked thread