Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

On the surface, the world looks very much like the one outside your bedroom window. The same people are walking the same dirty streets, the same animals rummage through the same garbage, and the same mindless drive is shown on the same television stations.

But sometimes, the world just doesn't seem right. Why do certain figures appear out of nowhere and become famous overnight? Why do so many people disappear each year? What is the government really paying for when it shells out $75 for a screwdriver? Why is it that any answer unearthed always leads to another question?

Sometimes you can't see what defines your world. This is the nature of conspiracies. This is the nature of Conspiracy X. No one tells you to not mind the man behind the curtain, because no one tells you the curtain is there.

Behind the curtain lies Aegis, a secret organization at work within the United States government. Aegis has been aware of extraterrestrial presence on Earth for more than forty years, and has had an in-depth understanding of the supernatural for the last twenty. Aegis' self-appointed duty is to monitor alien and supernatural activities and counter those it deems unacceptable.

But Aegis isn't the only shadow group in existence. The National Defense Directorate, codenamed Black Book by Aegis conspirators, is embedded within the American military-industrial complex and has extensive dealings with extraterrestrial agents. Indeed, the NDD has entered into several high-level treaties with the invaders. To Aegis agents, the NDD represents humankind at its most opportunistic and morally compromised.

Once part of the same organization, Aegis and the NDD now wage a secret war of covert operations, abductions, and human experimentation behind a façade of lies and disinformation. As part of Aegis, you are authorized to employ any means in your fight against the NDD and its inhuman allies. The Aegis arsenal combines high-tech surveillance equipment and state-of-the-art weapons with psychic warfare, supernatural rituals, and stolen alien technology. Lies, deception, cover-ups, sacrifice, and force - even terminal force - are part of the job.

The conflict has raged for nearly fifty years, and the stakes are high. Humanity's existence on earth as master or pawn - indeed, humankind's entire existence - depends on your vigilance, and your success.

Be careful who you trust.

----

You have been recruited by Aegis. Maybe you started noticing something subtly wrong with the world. Your phone makes strange clicking noises, you know what someone is going to ask you before she says anything, or perhaps you lost hours, even days, which are completely unaccountable.

Maybe it wasn’t quite so subtle. How did that guy in the suit rip that man’s arm clean off? Your little sister has been missing for years. The police just brushed the case under an already bulging carpet, but you won’t let it go. Or perhaps a routine X-ray revealed a foreign metallic object implanted in your skull.

Either way, you have been exposed to something the government has been trying to cover up for decades. Something Aegis has been trying to fight since Roswell.

So who or what is Aegis? Aegis came together in the face of a single, unprecedented threat: alien invasion. Some might argue that invasion is too strong a term. No large-scale battles have been fought, no armies flood the streets, no flying saucers hover over the White House. Clearly, there is no current invasion in conventional terms. Still, ever since we discovered the truth about aliens among us, we have known that they do not have our best interests at heart. What else could we expect? They are, after all, an entirely different sentient species, with their own morals, beliefs, and goals. They care for themselves just as we care for ourselves. We do not fault them for their ambitions or their needs, nor do we support them. We fight for ourselves, for as a species that is all that we can ever do.

Aegis stands as the United States’ first line of defense against the alien menace. Whatever else happens, whatever missions we undertake, whatever else we do, we should never forget that our primary mission is the defense of the nation against our foes, whoever they might be. When a new operative, agent, or researcher joins a cell, he swears an oath. He promises to hold his tongue, never to reveal to the public the truth about the war that threatens us all. He also swears to protect that same public from this insidious threat, no matter what the cost, personally or publicly. Make no mistake, joining Aegis is like joining an army. It means that you are willing to put your life, your livelihood, and your reputation on the line in order to save your people and your country.

----

Welcome to Conspiracy X, a game that is at its heart a fusion of the X-Files, Men in Black, and X-COM, pitting you, the agents of Aegis, against the ever approaching doom of humanity at the hands of various alien species, the supernatural, and even the greed and hubris of humankind. I'm going to let the book describe itself here:

quote:

All roleplaying games have at their hearts the “What if . . .?” question. In Conspiracy X, the question is “What if aliens really were present on our planet? What if the government knew this all along? What would they try to hide?” By taking on the roles of Conspiracy X Cast Members, players have the chance to answer these questions and more.

Conspiracy X is a game that combines elements of government intrigue (shady covert organizations, shadow governments, paranoia), science fiction (the existence of aliens, abductions, the paranormal, alien invasions, black magic), and conflict (the war to save the planet from alien invasion, fighting other shadowy organizations and the forces of darkness).

In effect, anything is possible. From investigating Lovecraftian horrors or haunted places where teens are being killed off one by one, to alien invasions, psychic experimentation, and ultraviolent suit-clad agents battling for the survival of humanity, the world of Conspiracy X should challenge, thrill, excite, and inspire players and Chroniclers alike.

Players come from a variety of professions and civilian backgrounds from across the world, including criminals, psychic homemakers, CIA and KGB agents, and even members of hidden organizations like Project Rasputin.

I am making a game for Pre-Heroic/Neo-Talented individuals, meaning you guys are fresh recruits and not fully inundated to the horrible reality of the grand conspiracy. All professions from the core book are open, and we're going to be running a mix of intrigue and action; you'll be able to go on stake out about as much as you'll storm the apartment complex with submachine guns.

If you really want any of the paranormal qualities, please clear them with me; while I want you guys to have some taste of it in this game, I don't want you to be summoning Lovecraftian horrors from word one.

All in all, I am looking for FIVE people to go down the rabbit hole, with a backstory on how you came to be involved Aegis; what lead to that one fateful phone call that changed your view of the world, and the events that occur in it, forever? I will be keeping recruit open until August 16th. If you need help making your character, you can usually find me in SynIRC in #Acolyte, or you can PM me or ask for my Steam ID.

Once picks are made, we'll go ahead and work out the hideout your particular cell has.

Current Submissions by Sphere of Influence

LEO
Nikki Goldman, FBI Field Agent - Ferrosol

Paranormal
Nikolai Stanislofsky, CAPS Psychic - Yoshimo

Intelligence
Nash Callahan, USMS Deputy Marshall - Malicious Onion
Jack Gates, CIA Field Agent - Simsense Cumshot

Military
N/A

Science and Research
Jennifer Stetson, CDC Scientist - Werix
Unnamed Ranch Scientist - Waci

Criminal
Peter Valruki, Non-violent criminal - Quorne
Martin Dash, Non-violent criminal - Crowtribe

Civilian
N/A

e:
http://www.theonion.com/articles/november-22-1963,10584/ To get everyone in the spirit of things.

John Dyne fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Aug 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sledra
Jan 24, 2005

How Thortunate!
Don't do it it's a trap to make a thread about brands of windows.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Sledra posted:

Don't do it it's a trap to make a thread about brands of windows.

Don't worry, I learned from the Scot's mistake.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
I'm so down for this. I'm thinking of a CDC scientist, but still looking into all the various options and reading the rules.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
I am so in on this. Not sure what I'll put up yet, though.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
How does this game play? Anyone tried it out before?

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

goodness posted:

How does this game play? Anyone tried it out before?

It's a bit like Paranoia, to some small extent; it's pretty player and story driven. Most tasks are resolved with a d10 roll, adding the related attribute and the skill, when applicable; rolls of 10 have you roll again and subtract five from the new result, meaning you have to roll 5 or higher to have the result added to the 10, and continues so on. Rolls of 1 do the same, but are a negative to your actual roll, so you can spectacularly fail if you are unlucky.

How you guys operate will depend wholly on who gets in, and what influence you spend on your base. You might have a LEO who is great at stake outs and get a massive benefit to surveillance, either through spy satellites or just really good equipment, or you might have an old marine who knows the best way to get his hands on a tank, which really might change how you handle a gray causing some havoc in a grocery store. :v: You guys get FIVE resource points per level of influence with a specific organization. Getting poo poo like an NSA Magic Van is 10 resource points, and only available to an NSA agent.

John Dyne fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Aug 4, 2014

Lazer Vampire Jr.
Mar 31, 2005

Ask me about whatever fat loss diet is popular this month!
I always wanted to try this game after binging through Xfiles and Fringe.

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!
What percentage of the OP did you copy from my game

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Yoshimo posted:

What percentage of the OP did you copy from my game

First three lines, and then I embellished from there. :v:

e: I wanted to note that taking one of the professions will require you to take a full complement of drawbacks, all 10 points; some professions have drawbacks as it is built in, and those do count against your 10 points of drawbacks.

You can take, essentially, 15 points of qualities so long as you have 10 points of drawbacks. Pulling Strings DO count as qualities!

e2: SAURIAN CONSPIRACY??

John Dyne fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Aug 6, 2014

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Nash Callahan

PSYCHOLOGICAL SCREENING
INTERVIEW WITH DEPUTY MARSHAL NASH CALLAHAN
TRANSCRIPT OF VIDEO RECORDING

INTERVIEW CONDUCTED BY: DR XXXXX SXXX

-----

DR SXXX: Please state your name and rank for the record.

CALLAHAN: Nash James Callahan, Deputy Marshal. Look, is someone going to tell me why I'm here?

DR SXXX: Mr Callahan, you underwent a traumatic experience. I'm here to make sure we can get you back to duty as soon as possible.

CALLAHAN: [Indecipherable]

DR SXXX: I'm sorry, could you please repeat that?

CALLAHAN: I said this is bullshit.

DR SXXX: I'm sorry you feel that way, Mr Callahan. Now, before we discuss the incident in question, I'd like to talk about another incident, from May last year.

CALLAHAN: Wait, who told you about that?

DR SXXX: Don't worry, I'm not here in a disciplinary capacity. Everything you say to me in here is confidential and won't be used against you.

CALLAHAN: Fine. So me and my partner, [Deputy Marshal XXXX] WXXXXXXXXX are after this guy, real scumbag. Huh, can't even remember his name now. Anyway, we track him down, he's staying in a flat just outside of Buffalo. He's not considered dangerous and we don't want to spook him, so it's just the two of us. We'd been chasing this guy for a while by then. So anyway, it's me and WXXXXXXXXX, we go to this flat one night. I wait at the front while WXXXXXXXXX checks out the rear. I don't know if he saw WXXXXXXXXX or what but next thing I know, he opens the front door. I see a gun in his hand, so I fire. Pop pop pop. Guy goes down without a sound; I don't know if he even saw me. I head over to check him, WXXXXXXXXX comes back. Turns out what I thought was a gun was a flashlight. Guy must've thought WXXXXXXXXX was a raccoon or something. Anyway, we clear the place, there's no one else there. We call in the local PD and the coroner and then it's over.

DR SXXX: Over?

CALLAHAN: Well, there's paperwork and debriefs and this poo poo [CALLAHAN gestures to himself and DR SXXX] but yeah, that was it.

DR SXXX: What about Deputy WXXXXXXXXX's accusation? According to his report he heard someone knocking before the three shots were fired.

CALLAHAN: [long pause] I don't know what WXXXXXXXXX thinks he heard but I didn't hear or see anything like that.

DR SXXX: Okay. Let's move on to the more recent incident; why don't you tell me about that?

CALLAHAN: Yeah, sure. So I'm after this guy, DXXXXX something-or-other. He's only got warrants out for tax evasion but whatever. He's been dodging me for over a month, I don't know how, when I finally corner him. So I get cuffs on him and sit him on the kerb while I radio in. Next thing I know he's out of the cuffs and he's got my gun. Only thing is, he's on the other side of the car. I don't... I don't know how to explain it, it doesn't make sense...

DR SXXX: Could it be that you're misremembering, Mr Callahan? You wouldn't be the first law enforcement officer to have made a mistake.

CALLAHAN: No! No, I remember it perfectly. Look, I... I'm not crazy, okay? But I know what I saw. My gun, it flew through the air. I mean, it was in my holster while I'm on the radio, I feel it pulling at the holster, you know? I look down and I see it - I actually see it - fly out of the holster, right into this guy's hand. So what do you think? How do I explain that, huh?

DR SXXX: [checks watch] Well, Mr Callahan, that's time. Same time next week?

-----

Given Deputy Marshal Callahan's experience and expertise, and despite his obvious anger issues, I believe he would be a valuable asset to the AEGIS program. It is my recommendation that he begin indoctrination and training as soon as possible.

DR XXXXX SXXX

pre:
Name: 
Character Type: Pre-Heroic
Profession: USMS Deputy Marshal
Description/Concept: Bounty Hunter

Attributes:
Strength       2
Dexterity      3
Constitution   3
Intelligence   2
Perception     3
Willpower      2

Life Points: 50
Endurance Points: 26
Speed: 12 mph
Essence: 15

Qualities:
Influence (Intelligence) 1
Photographic Memory
Resources (Middle Class)
Status 1

Pulling Strings:
Asset Forfeiture
Back-Up
Criminal Tracking
Fingerprinting
Search & Seizure
SWAT

Drawbacks:
Addiction (Heavy Smoking)
Adversary (Pre-Heroic)
Emotional Problems (Anger)
Honorable (Mild)
Obligation (Serious)
Sleep Disorders (Recurring Nightmares)

Skills:
Brawling +3
Bureaucracy +3
Dodge +2
Driving (Car) +1
Guns (Handgun) +2
Humanities (Law) +2
Intimidation +3
Language (English) +5
Lock Picking (Mechanical) +2
Notice +2
Questioning +3
Stealth +2
Streetwise +1
Surveillance +3
Swimming +1

MaliciousOnion fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Aug 17, 2014

OzCavalier
Jun 6, 2006

SON OF BITCH!
[LEFT HOOK]
Placeholder for character....

[Edit:] Probably will be either Army Ranger or USN Seal.. making up the military quotient.

OzCavalier fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Aug 9, 2014

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Placeholder for one CAPS Psychic.

edit - well apparently I don't understand how placeholders work

Yoshimo fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Aug 4, 2014

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Should have some time tomorrow to roll up a char.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Classification: Top Secret Code word VERMILLION WOODLOUSE

Access by unauthorised personal is punishable by at minimum twenty years of jail time. If you come into contact with this document without being cleared for VERMILLION WOODLOUSE return it to your nearest security controller at once.

Transcript of Interview

Present

Agent STARBURST (Aegis)
Dr ICEFOX (Aegis)
Special Agent Goodwin (FBI)

Goodwin: You asked to see me?

ICEFOX: I'm Special Agent FXXXX* and this is my colleague Special Agent JXXXX* We're from Internal Affairs and investigating the events of XX/XX/20XX. Can you please state your name and rank for the record.

Goodwin: Special Agent Nicola Goodwin currently assigned to the Phoenix office.

STARBURST: Describe in your own words the events of XX/XX/20XX.

Goodwin: From the beginning? It started early that morning. I was just sitting down with my morning Starbucks when my landline rang. An unidentified Mexican male on the other end of the line informed me that a "high level courier" of the Los Zetas cartel was present in Phoenix on business and that we might have some questions for him.**

Goodwin: Nine times out ten tips like this are bullshit but we like to check them out anyway.

ICEFOX: So what happened next?

Goodwin: I took it to my boss Assistant Special Agent-in-Charge Franklin and he authorised myself and my colleague Special Agent Miller to investigate.

STARBURST: Isn't that kind of legwork usually left to the local PD?

Goodwin: <subject looks embarrassed at this point> Yeah but I'd been pressing him for weeks about getting out from behind a desk and going into the field. I guess this was his way of reminding me that fieldwork wasn't everything it's cracked up to be.

Goodwin: According to our source, the courier was staying at a dingy little motel just off I-10 waiting for a meet.

Goodwin: So we drove over there and pulled up outside. I went inside to talk to the receptionist while Miller remained outside to watch for our suspect.

Goodwin: I went inside and spoke to the receptionist, had to flash the badge before she'd cooperate. Turns out she couldn't tell us much our suspect had paid cash and although he looked "mexican" he had some sort of British accent to his English,

ICEFOX: So what happened next?

Goodwin: Something about the whole thing felt wrong according to my instincts. So I did something stupid.

STARBURST: Which was?

Goodwin: I decided to try searching his room without a warrant. I mean there was always a chance that this guy would've been dumb enough to leave evidence in plain sight and I had backup from Agent Miller. Besides as a foreigner he might not have known we're not supposed to be able to do that.

Goodwin: So we went up to his room and tried knocking but got no response. So Agent Miller forced the lock and we just walked in.

ICEFOX: And the suspect?

Goodwin: He was sat there talking into some sort of earpiece thing, I don't know what langauge it was but it certainly wasn't English and it didn't sound like any Spanish I've heard of.

ICEFOX: And then?

Goodwin: The perp looked up from his conversation and froze, He reached for a gun on the table in front of him and I ordered him to stop and said we were from the FBI.

STARBURST: And did he?

Goodwin: <subject stops in thought a moment> No--No he didn't. He picked up the gun and he-he shot Frank.

ICEFOX: And you?

Goodwin: I was already reaching for my own weapon and there-there was an agent down. So I brought my pistol up and shot him two shots to the center mass and one to the head the way they trained us at the academy. There was one hell a lot of blood.

ICEFOX: Are you ok, I can get you a tissue or a drink of water or something...

Goodwin: No-- it's fine it's just.... not a good memory you know.

STARBURST: So your next action was?

Goodwin: I stepped outside and called 911*** and requested immediate backup and an ambulance for Frank.

STARBURST: And then the rest of your ridiculous story.

Goodwin: <subject displays visible anger at this point> Listen... I don't know who you punks think you are but I know what I saw...

ICEFOX: Relax please and tell us what happened.

Goodwin: The suspect stood back up.. and he said something about it stinging what sort of guy can survive a shot to the head? I-I froze.

ICEFOX: So what happened then?

Goodwin: He sprayed me with some sort of knockout gas and then the next thing I knew I was unconscious. I found out later that by the time the locals arrived the perp was long gone.

ICEFOX: How is your partner by the way?

Goodwin: The docs were saying it doesn't look good if he ever comes out of the coma he may not be fully mentally capable. He had... has a wife and kids and the bastard who did this is still walking free.

STARBURST: Thank you for your cooperation Miss Goodwin we'll be in touch if we have any further questions.

TRANSCRIPT ENDS

ANALYSIS: Subject has encountered a level 2 Atlantean Infiltrator*****who was willing for unknown reason to engage in violence. Subject responded as well as to be expected given the circumstances. It is unknown why the Infiltrator although initially willing to engage in violence proved reluctant later. Recommend subject be considered for Enhanced Recruitment and Disclosure.

Signed

Agent STARBURST

*Covers generated as part of Operation GINGERBREAD
**Subsequent ECHELON analysis found the call to have had a duration of 01:47 mins and to have been placed from an unregistered cellphone in San Bernardino CA
***Transcript of this call can be found in Appendix C****
****See Appendix D for the Phoenix PD report on the WOODLOUSE incident
*****Possibly in relation to project LOVECRAFT?

code:
Character Name: Special Agent Nicola "Nikki" Goodwin
Character Type: Pre Heroic
Profession:  FBI Field Agent
Description/Concept: Aliens Killed my Partner

Sphere of Influence: Law Enforcement 

PRIMARY ATTRIBUTES
STR 2
DEX 2
CON 2
INT 3
PER 3
WIL 3

SECONDARY ATTRIBUTES
Life Points: 26
Speed: 8
Essence Pool: 15 

CHARACTER TRAITS
Race/Species:  Human
Handedness:  Left
Height:  5’7
Weight:  118 lbs
Hair Colour:  Blonde
Eye Colour:  Green
Skin Tone:  White

QUALITIES
Influence (Law Enforcement) 1
Resources (Middle Class)
Status 1
Obligation (Extreme)
Charisma 1
Attractive 1

DRAWBACKS
Obligation (Extreme)
Phobia:heights (mild)

PULLING STRINGS:
FBI Forensic Laboratory Analysis
Fingerprinting
Quantico Training Facility

SKILLS
Acting +1
Brawling +2
Bureaucracy +2
Dodge+3
Guns (Handgun) +4
Humanities (law) +3
-Criminal Law +5
Notice +2
Questioning +2
Research/Investigation +3
Seduction +1
Smooth Talking +1
Streetwise+3
Surveillance +2

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Aug 11, 2014

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Nikolai Stanislofsky

pre:
Character Name:  Nikolai Stanislofsky
Character Type:  Neo-Talented
Profession:  CAPS Psychic
Description/Concept:  Insomniac Russian Jew

Sphere of Influence:  Paranormal

PRIMARY ATTRIBUTES
STR 2
DEX 2
CON 2
INT 3
PER 3
WIL 3

SECONDARY ATTRIBUTES
Life Points 26
Endurance Points 26
Speed 8
Essence Pool 20

CHARACTER POINTS
Spent 0
Unspent 0

CHARACTER TRAITS
Handedness:  Right
Height:  5’10”
Weight:  175lbs
Hair Colour:  Dark Brown
Eye Colour:  Green

QUALITIES
Increased Essence Pool 1
Influence (Paranormal) 1
Psychic
Resources (Middle Class)
Status 1

DRAWBACKS
Obligation (Total)
Insomnia 3

PULLING STRINGS
Corruption Treatment 
Occult Library
Pool Data

SKILLS
Hypnosis 2
Language (Russian) 2
Myth and Legend (UFOlogy) 2
Myth and Legend (Cryptozoology) 2
Occult Knowledge 2
Research/Investigation 2
Rituals (Hermetic) 2
Science (Parapsychology) 3
Trance 2
Unconventional Medicine (Russian Folk Remedies) 2

POWERS
Clairvoyance S1/A1
“Project Rasputin? Me? Because I am Russian? Please. Those uninspired drones spend all their time trying to beam secret message into people from underground cesspit of a laboratory in Omsk. I belong to CAPS. We read books, we learn, we hypothesise, and yes, occasionally we dance about Nellis Range in middle of night, covered in chicken blood, attempting to summon Baal or some poo poo. But mainly, we read. I am currently reading book about trainspotting, called “Trainspotting.” I cannot loving understand half of it.”

The Stanislofskies emigrated from Vladivostok to Hell’s Kitchen shortly before the birth of their only child Nikolai. Which is just as well, as he soon became grotesquely fascinated with horror stories, aliens and other ludicrous tales of the occult and the paranormal as soon as he could read; something that would have proven difficult to study freely behind the Iron Curtain, but could be much more easily done at one of many fine liberal arts colleges in the Land of the Free.

And so, earning his virtually worthless bachelor’s degree in Parapsychology (minoring in Cryptozoology and UFOlogy - it really was a shockingly bad university) he soon found gainful employment, of a sort. He’d always had this weird thing - luck more than anything, really, he thought - to scrunch his eyes up really tight, and then sort of blink in his mind, and he’d see a brief flash of something he couldn’t possibly have seen, like the contents of a sealed envelope, the back of a playing card, or which cup the shell was under...It wasn’t always exactly crystal clear, and it failed almost as much as it worked, but it was at least enough to pay for his rent, and even food, if he wasn’t fussy and didn’t mind risking scurvy or rickets.

He even managed to write a book about Russian folklore, in his spare time; it sure as hell wasn’t going to wind up on the top of the Times’ Best Sellers List, and he was convinced the publisher was operating out of a trailer home in Pahrump, but the writing required almost no effort on his part. Hell, most of it was made up from parts of his final year’s dissertation, mixed in with some choice tidbits snared from Wikipedia. But it earned him a job interview from the Centre for Advanced Phenomenological Studies, or CAPS, as they laughingly referred to themselves.

The recruiter, a pudgy-looking man with the appearance and becoming of an elderly train conductor met him the next afternoon for coffee in a bookshop that clearly sold more hot drinks than books. They’d blagged a copy of his academic transcripts, and as it turned out, most of his essays and coursework, and they needed someone to do some research and trot out a publication about the effects of HAARP on the bumble bee population, or something equally arcane and erudite.

Whatever it was, the recruiter was awfully excited over it, and jabbered away him over his skinny latte at Nikolai, who for his part was struggling to stay awake with a week’s worth of caffeine in a single grimy mug. He’d been sleeping like poo poo recently, and wasn’t sure if it was the faulty air conditioning in his infested rathole of an apartment, or the occasional burst of gunfire and police sirens, or the spate of disturbing dreams he’d been having about being turned into a lizard by the goverment. (He blamed Coast to Coast AM for that last one.)

And so he had to ask the recruiter to repeat his last sentence, something about wanting to give a test, just a standard test, a little bit of research data, a bit of fun, really... At first he thought the recruiter was going to challenge him to a game of Pinochle when he saw the deck of cards come out of the briefcase, but then as he spied the five shapes and symbols on the faces of each card, he began to realise just what exactly he was being tested on.

The recruiter remained expressionless and quiet throughout, neither confirming nor denying Nikolai’s attempts to guess the cards, instead jotting down the results on what appeared to be....what the hell was that, parchment? At the end, all jokiness and excitement was gone from his face, and the recruiter merely mumbled a dispassionate “We’ll be in touch,” and disappeared off into the crowd of shoppers outside. Nikolai sat shocked, and it was over five minutes before he realised glumly the man had left without even paying a loving cent towards the bill. Shaking his head, he decided he had nothing else to really do for the day than head home, thumb through a copy of a Gideon’s Bible (he was checking it for loopholes, he told himself) and wait with his cat Elizabeth for the phone to ring.

Yoshimo fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Aug 4, 2014

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I'm considering making a character based on the hosts of Mysterious Universe. Would something like that work in this system?

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I'm considering making a character based on the hosts of Mysterious Universe. Would something like that work in this system?

No clue who that is. :v: The game seems to cater more towards military and government personnel, but you can certainly build your own dude outside of professions who just 'knows a guy.'

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Jennifer Stetson

"Oh, you don't like wearing a suit and tie to work? At least you can itch your nose and not have to spend 20 minutes getting out of it to pee."

Had you told Jennifer when she was a little girl that she was going to be a world renowned scientist working with infectious diseases, Young Jennifer would have likely said "gross" and went back to planning on becoming a princess. Despite her skill and her dedication to the craft, she really fell into the job. Jennifer was a mediocre student in high school, and looking at her school grades you'd never think "world class scientist". She didn't know it then, but the reason her grades were so low in high school was that was the time her life-long struggle with depression began; but to 17 year old Jennifer she just didn't want to do homework because it was boring and she didn't see the point.

She barely did well enough on her ACT to get into college, and college is where everything changed, when she was first introduced to alcohol at a party. After the first time she had a drink things finally clicked. The world didn't seem dull anymore, and as strange as it sounds, having a couple drinks helped her focus. With her new fuel her grades quickly rose, and she found chemistry interesting.

From there everything was a blur, and it wasn't just the wine and cosmos. She got various scholarships, got an internship at the Mayo Clinic in their infectious disease lab, which turned into a job at Mayo, which turned to her getting her Master's degree From Harvard and her first Doctorate from UC-Berkeley, and quickly a job at the CDC. While at the CDC she wrote a few seminal pieces on infectious disease treatment and quarantine, which changed immunization protocols around the world.

During the day she was fine at school and work, but most evenings once home from work, her two friends were her dog Patty and a bottle of wine and a few smokes. During the few times she had to go more than a couple days without a drink, not only would the depression come back, but the hangovers always seemed worse than she used to remember.

It was a short time before she was moved from lab work to traveling the world's disease hot-spots. Her time in Africa and Latin America allowed her to pick up the languages, and treat some of the deadliest diseases on earth. Aegis took an interest in Jennifer after a strange quarantine event in South Sudan. There had been a severe H1N1 outbreak there, and while trying to treat the locals she ran into a little girl who seemed incapable of being sick. A study of blood samples quickly led to Jennifer discovering antibodies and white blood cells in the girl that she'd never seen. Within hours of her reporting the incident back to Atlanta, black helicopters descended on her base camp, and soldiers without military markings stormed out, took the girl, took Jennifer's notes, and destroyed her tech.

Official explanation was Militant Islamic Rebels, no matter now much she said the attackers were speaking Korean or Chinese. Shortly after she was contacted by Ageis, having encountered something one of their rival organizations took interest in.

pre:
Character Name:  Jennifer Stetson
Character Type:  pre-heroic
Profession:  CDC scientist
Description/Concept:  scientist who saw too much

PRIMARY ATTRIBUTES
STR 2
DEX 3
CON 2
INT 3
PER 3
WIL 2

SECONDARY ATTRIBUTES
Life Points 26
Endurance Points 23
Speed 10
Essence Pool 15

CHARACTER POINTS
Spent 0
Unspent 0

CHARACTER TRAITS
Handedness:  left
Height:  5’6”
Weight:  132lbs
Hair Colour:  Blonde
Eye Colour:  Hazel

QUALITIES (15/15)
Influence (science and research) 1 (1)
Resources (middle class) (2)
status 1 (1)
Academic (1)
Charisma 2 (2)

PULLING STRINGS
CDC Labs (2)
Dangerous Toxins (2)
Dangerous Virus (2)
Hidden Cures (1)
Quarantine (1)

DRAWBACKS (10/10)
Obligation (extreme) (2)
Emotional Problems (depression) (2)
Addiction (Heavy drinking) (2)
Addiction (smoking) (1)
Notoriety (2)
Clown (1)

SKILLS (30/30)
Bureaucracy +3 (3)
First aid +3 (3)
Medicine (diseases) +3 (6)
Medicine (biohazard control) +3 (6)
Science (biochemistry) +3 (3)
Language (English) +5
Language (Spanish) +2 (2)
Language (Arabic) +2 (2)
Instruction +2 (2)
Research +2 (2)

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011

Peter Valruki

Peter rubs his wrists, still chafing from the cuffs that had been on them minutes before. The suit entering the interrogation room looked like your run of the mill government agent. What he was doing here in the police station, Peter didn't know. Sure he had a history but nothing they could connect to him would warrant a G man, though the man did lay down a thick manilla envelope as he sat down.

"You do know why I'm here, don't you?."

"I was framed. Obviously. And you're here to let me go." Peter says sarcastically.

Impossible to tell with the mans sunglasses on, but despite them he can feel a hard stare.

"Let's not insult each others intelligence here. You've got quite a history." The G man opens up the folder and consults the papers. "Peter Valruki, known in the underworld as 'Mr. Purple'. Mother dead for 7 years...Father unknown. Started out as a second story man, quickly moved on to bigger crimes. Became a safe cracker, diamond theif, etc etc the list goes on." The man flips to another page.

"Made your mark when, on a drunken bet, managed to steal every piece of clothing your hometown mayor owned. Gained a reputation for competence and as a heist planner. Earned your moniker for your fondness of purple shirts, which you'd wear at meetings. In good standing with most major crime groups, affiliated with none. Quite a few people owe you favors, others willing to work with you based on your reputation. You've led quite a busy life and yet, even found time for a child. Melissa, age 5, who with you in jail is in custody of Child Protection right now."

Smoldering at the mention of Melissa, Peter starts to stand up but feels hands on his shoulder push him back down. He hasn't the faintest clue how someone got behind him, but he subsides as the G man goes on.

"Yesterday however you came onto our radar. We had been watching the man who's house you robbed for quite some time. But your intrusion ended that, sent him into hiding. And you were found unconsious inside, with nothing to show for your attempt. Except a tatoo, one that bears a remarkable resemblance to a playing card the house used to hold. And it left you, shall we say changed?"

Peter feels cold at the mention of yesterday. He shivers unconsiously, remembering. It was supposed to be an easy job, in and out with the card, drop it off with the buyer and pick up a nice finders fee. But he had ignored the instruction not to touch it directly, wondering what the fuss was. But the card was cold, so cold, and only darkness met him. When he woke in jail, nothing felt the same. He was more intune with the world, could feel strange eddies around him. They frightened him in was he could barely understand.

The G man smiles at Peter, the first sign of emotion he's shown this whole time.

"Yes, you know what I'm talking about. Criminals are a dime a dozen, but after what happened, you acquired a different value . Which is why you're getting an offer. My organisation wishes to recruit you. You'll have Melissa back and cared for. You'll be out of jail, though your criminal record will remain and be a fugitive. But its the only choice you've really got."

He pauses a moment, letting it sink in.

"Tomorrow night, your cell door will open. No one will impede your way. A black van will be waiting outside. Enter it, and you'll be reunited with your daughter."

Peter sits there stunned, dazed as the G man leaves. A cop comes and hustles him back to his cell a minute later. When he looks back in the room he doesn't see anyone else there. The next night, he enters the van.

pre:
Character Type: Pre Heroic

Profession: Non Violent Criminal

Attributes:
Strength       2
Dexterity      3
Constitution   2
Intelligence   3
Perception     2
Willpower      3

Qualities: 11
 Good Luck 2
 Influence (Criminal) 1
 Psychic
 Resources (Middle Class)
 Status 1

Drawbacks: 10
 Adversary (Law Enforcement)
 Covetus (Mild, Money)
 Dependent (Young Daughter)
 Honorable (Serious)
 Minority (Romani)
 Secret (Criminal)

Skills: 30
 Brawling +2
 Dodge +2
 Escape +2
 Guns (Submachineguns) +3
 Lockpicking (Mechanical) +3
 Lockpicking (Electronic) +3
 Pickpocketing +3
 Research/Investigation +1
 Smooth Talking +3
 Stealth +5
 Streetwise +3

Pulling Strings 4
 Accomplices
 Criminal Resources
 Press Credentials
 Safe House

Possessions:

Quornes fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Sep 15, 2014

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Here's an update on where we are with apps. We're short on a few SoIs, so we can definitely use some filler! Don't worry TOO much about civilian, but I have it there just in case someone wants to be a civvie.

Current Submissions by Sphere of Influence

LEO
Nikki Goldman, FBI Field Agent - Ferrosol

Paranormal
Nikolai Stanislofsky, CAPS Psychic - Yoshimo

Intelligence
Nash Callahan, USMS Deputy Marshall - Malicious Onion
Jack Gates, CIA Field Agent - Simsense Cumshot

Military
N/A

Science and Research
Jennifer Stetson, CDC Scientist - Werix
Unnamed Ranch Scientist - Waci

Criminal
Peter Valruki, Non-violent criminal - Quorne
Martin Dash, Non-violent criminal - Crowtribe

Civilian
N/A

John Dyne fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Aug 13, 2014

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Alexandra Miller

Before she knew aliens or grand government conspiracies were anything other than the ramblings of madmen, Alex was a grad student. She has the beginnings of a promising scientist, but her life was in no way unusual. She was no secret agent or mafia boss. The unusual things started when one of the older researchers at the lab Alex was working at called her, late in the evening, and asked for a couch to crash on for the night. This in itself wasn't that unusual, but when Matthew explained that he needed a place to stay where the Black Book, whatever that was, couldn't find him, Alex got worried. Clearly her colleague was drunk and delirious. Expecting it to pass with a bit of sleep and time to sober up, she welcomed him in.

It turned out Matthew wasn't drunk at all. On on the way to Alex's place, the thing about some shadowy group hunting him turned out to be real too. Armed men in black stopped them. As a cherry on top of the confusion cake, Matthew pulled out a strange weapon that looked like something out Star Trek. Even more surprising was that the old, jolly scientist evidently knew what to do in a firefight. They fled from the men in black, eventually ending up running on foot through a forest in rural Massachusetts. Eventually, they lost their pursuers, only to find themselves lost in the woods in a blizzard.

A January blizzard is not a pleasant thing, especially when dressed for a short car trip rather than a long hike and when making a fire carries a not insignificant risk of being shot. After a lengthy explanation but surprisingly little convincing, Matthew injected her with Atlantean nanitomachines, used by the Atlanteans to produce energy, but which in humans had the side effect of increasing body temperature. Though during their little adventure and in the following days Alex bombarded Matthew with questions as fast as she could, Matthew remained tight-lipped, explaining that knowing more would put Alex at risk of becoming a target for the likes of the NDD. Remembering being chased by armed conspirators, Alex did her best to resist the urge to ask every question that crossed her mind. Within a couple of days, Matthew had made himself disappear.

Eventually her curiosity won over the self-preservation instinct, and she started looking further into alien activity and the whole alien-hunting conspiracy thing. There was a lot to look at, and it didn't take long for her looking to get noticed. Not long after finishing her thesis, she was hired by AEGIS to study biological samples from aliens and the effects of alien technology on human bodies.
Though she couldn't publish most of the research she did at the Ranch, what little she could was generally nearly as well received by the wider scientific community as the majority of her work was by AEGIS, and after some time she was offered a chance to join a field cell as a researcher and medic. Despite the obvious risk and hindrance to long-term research projects, Alex jumped on the opportunity to get her hands on things when they were fresh and more or less out in the wild. Sure, she'd seen some of the bodies that got shipped back to the Ranch after an alien encounter went sub-optimally, but how hard could it be?

pre:
Character Name: Alexandra Miller
Profession: Ranch Scientist
Description/Concept: Nerd

Sphere of Influence: Science & Research

PRIMARY ATTRIBUTES 15
STR 1
DEX 2
CON 1
INT 5
PER 3
WIL 3

SECONDARY ATTRIBUTES
Life Points: 18
Endurance Points: 20 
Speed: 6
Essence Pool: 15 

CHARACTER POINTS
Spent 0
Unspent 0

CHARACTER TRAITS
Race/Species: Human
Handedness: Right  
Height: 170
Weight: 50
Hair Colour: Blonde  
Eye Colour: Brown
Skin Tone: Ghost-ish

QUALITIES (15 points)
Influence (Science & Research 1)
Resources (Middle Class)
Status 1
Atlantean Nanotech (Bio-Battery Energy System) (1)
Academic (1)
Pulling Strings (Library, Medical Support) (2)

DRAWBACKS (10 points)
Obligation (Total) (3)
Minority (1)
Addiction (Habitual Drinking) (1)
Impaired Senses (Vision, Correctable) (1)
Covetous (Knowledge, Serious) (2)
Honourable (1)
Emotional Problems (Fear of Rejection) (1)

PULLING STRINGS
Alien Technology
Lab/Workshop
Mobility
No Trace
Ranch Analysis
Specialized Aircraft (Aurora)
Library
Medical Support

SKILLS (30 points)
Computers 2 
Electronics 2 
Science (Biomedical) 4 
Science (Physics) 1
-Nanotechnology specialization 3 
Writing (Academic) 2
Bureaucracy 3
Medicine 2
-Pathology Specialization 4
-Medical Technology Specialization 4
Engineer (Biological) 2
Research/Investigation 4
First Aid 3
Dodge 1
Guns (Hand Gun) 1

Waci fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Aug 16, 2014

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
nonviolent "criminal" wheelman incoming.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Federal Air Marshal

[landing zone]

Lazer Vampire Jr.
Mar 31, 2005

Ask me about whatever fat loss diet is popular this month!
Throwing in a Army helicopter pilot who is a weirdness magnet.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

And Starring Jack Gates as himself!
Char Sheet

Recruited out of Princeton directly into the Agency, Jack Gates scored high marks at The Farm that ensured he would be fast tracked for field duty. Spending a few years in Kabul supporting CIA efforts in Afghanistan, his next assignment was to Colombia where he would be involved in espionage and covert action against the cartels. During a raid on a drug lab in the rain forest, Jack and a team of mercenaries ran into something that was decidely strange; a white person who couldn't loving die. As they were sweeping the lab, they ran into someone who shouldn't have been there, namely an anglo american woman, looked to be from sweden or finland that sort of place. Also look kinda hosed up from a mercenary unloading an MP5 into her chest. Strange but not particularly noteworthy, people die when you shoot them with bullets. What was interesting was when she got back up after 5 minutes and killed half his team.

Jack got out of their alive with a few other mercenaries. After being debriefed, he kept tabs on the mercenaries who survived that mission and noted that one by one they were disappearing. And not all of it was his doing. As he looked into things a bit deeper, he got in touch with someone who had the information he wanted. They arranged to meet and the contact arranged to have him killed in the streets of Bogota. Shooting it out with men in black suits, down to his last clip, Jack figured he was done. Then help arrived, a few more shooters joining the fray and helping him clear out.

He hopped in the back of a black mercedes and after a bit of reverse interrogation (read: him paying attention to all the grilling these new guys were giving him), it became clear they mighta knew about the thing that happened in the rain forest. Within a week he was vetted by them, handed a custom made iPhone, and was reassigned back to the states after his Bogota tour. Who were these guys? They called themselves Aegis. And now Jack was part of a cell of the first and last line of defense against aliens and poo poo.

crowtribe
Apr 2, 2013

I'm noice, therefore I am.
Grimey Drawer

Martin Dash
pre:
    Name: Martin Dash
    Profession: Non-violent criminal
    Description/Concept: Retired soldier turned criminal

ATTRIBUTES:
    Strength       2
    Dexterity      4
    Constitution   2
    Intelligence   2
    Perception     3
    Willpower      2

Endurance Points: 23

QUALITIES (8):
    Influence (Criminal) 1 (2)
    Resources (Middle Class) (2)
    Status 1 (2)
    Acute Senses (vision) (2)

PULLING STRINGS (7):
    Chop Shops (1)
    Criminal Resources (1)
    Funding 1 (1)
    Safe House (1)
    Vehicle Check (1)
    Accomplices (1)
    Chemical stores (1)

DRAWBACKS (10):
    Adversary (Law Enforcement) 1 (-2)
    Secret (Criminal) 1 (-2)
    Impaired Senses (hearing - wears a hearing aid) (-1)
    Disloyal (Severed Ties - military) (-2)
    Flashbacks (Triggered by flashes, explosions - PTSD) (-1)
    Emotional Problems (Fear of Commitment - death of squadmembers) (-1)
    Honourable (Mild - Aegis and team) (1)

SKILLS (30 pts):
    Acrobatics +1
    Bureaucracy +2
    Brawling +1
    Driving (Car) +4
    Driving (Truck) +3
    Driving (Tracked) +1
    Gun (handgun) +2
    Language (English) +5 (free)
    Lockpicking (Mechanical) +2
    Lockpicking (electrical) +2
    Mechanic +2
    Notice +2
    Pick Pocket +2
    Smooth Talking +1
    Streetwise +3
    Surveillance +2

AEGIS PROFILE:

US Army Specialist (E-4) Martin Dash, retired.

Military Occupational Speciality: MOSC-1, 19D Cavalry Scout, D3, R4

Date of birth: 11/12/1979
Handedness: Right
Height: 5’11”
Weight: 175lbs
Build: Athletic
Hair Colour: Dark Brown
Eye Colour: Blue
Skin Tone: Caucasian

Military records of the target advise he is a decorated and retired US Army Specialist, certified in HMMWV, M3 Bradley and M1127 (Stryker) operations. Deployed to Iraq in 2003 in the initial US military invasion dubbed Operation Iraqi Freedom, he would go on to serve another 3 tours. On his third and final tour in 2007, the HMMWV he was operating struck a UVIED (Under-Vehicle IED) as he sought cover as they came under fire, severely wounding him and killing all other occupants of the vehicle. Extensive rehabilitation returned his ability to walk, but he has permanent and serious degenerated hearing from the blast, somewhat mitigated by hearing aids. On completion of physical rehabilitation and the diagnosis of PTSD, Martin retired from service and attempted to return to civilian life.

Here, civilian law enforcement records we have gathered become disjointed, with little information as to living addresses over the next few years, however there are several minor charges for car theft resulting in no jail time due to his exemplary service record. At this point we switched to FBI database information which strongly suggests he was a target of numerous investigations regarding art, cargo, bank and jewellery robberies as well as supply of stolen vehicles to organised crime rings. At no point during this time was Dash on an Aegis watch-list as his did not intersect in our sphere of influence until recent events.

Martin Dash has since confessed under reliable interrogation techniques to being a member of the team of criminals involved in the interception of an Aegis courier convoy and acquisition of a classified artifact Item #34242F. The "heist" team performed a swift intercept and extraction of the item with Dash providing transportation, managing to evade both the initial convoy forces and a secondary fast response unit dispatched to assist and breaching an Aegis cordon of the area. On attempted delivery of the item to the fence contact, 2 of the members of this team were shot and killed, with Dash and another man, Randall Simpson, managing to escape, evading unknown pursuers. Both remaining members went to ground, however Simpson has since turned up deceased. Utilising his criminal contacts, Dash stayed under the radar from both Aegis and his unknown pursuers for 3 months before Aegis surveillance teams picked him up and an armed extraction was affected.

Dash has been a ghost detainee of Aegis for a further 2 month period undergoing evaluation, indoctrination, interrogation and precautionary deprogramming.

Further investigation into the evidence surrounding the crime suggests clandestine NDD financial and logistical support, indicating a possible "false flag" operation using expendable resources with an NDD operative posing as their employer. Character vetting was performed during detention to ensure there are no NDD ties, and all information currently indicates that Dash was an unwitting pawn. As evidenced by his driving and evasion abilities in combination with his previous military experience, Martin Dash represents a valuable and skilled asset that Aegis has made offer to acquire and which has been accepted on condition of amnesty from past crimes he has been implicated in but thus far not been charged for. He has since received Aegis training and been approved for active field agent status.

crowtribe fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Aug 15, 2014

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Crowtribe, you don't have enough Status, Resources, or Military Rank to have two influence; your influence level can only be half your combine level in those three qualities.

You have Status 1 and Resources 1, so you can only have one influence level; this can be either Criminal or Military, but not both.

On that note, Quornes, you're in the same boat; you have Status 1 and Resources 1, but Criminal Influence 2. You need to lower your influence.

John Dyne fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Aug 11, 2014

crowtribe
Apr 2, 2013

Grimey Drawer

John Dyne posted:

Crowtribe, you don't have enough Status, Resources, or Military Rank to have two influence; your influence level can only be half your combine level in those three qualities.

You have Status 1 and Resources 1, so you can only have one influence level; this can be either Criminal or Military, but not both.

Removed the offending line. Given I have Disloyal (severed ties) with the military, should I or should I not buy the Specialist rank still, which would use those 2 points I've now freed up? Otherwise I'll find a useful quality instead.

Updated.

crowtribe fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Aug 12, 2014

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:

NAME: Lt. Hiller, Steven

MILITARY SERVICE: USAF, Pilot
SQUADRON: 57th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron, The Black Knights of Keflavik.

REASON FOR RECRUITMENT: CONTACT WITH EXTRATERRESTRIAL DURING REGULAR INTERCEPT & IDENTIFY FLIGHT, DATE XX-XX-XXXX LOCATION XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX, XXXXXXX.

pre:
Character Name: Steven Hiller
Profession: USAF PILOT
Description/Concept: High-speed low-drag zero-g inverted thrust-vectoring maverick, all the way to the danger zone

Sphere of Influence: MILITARY

PRIMARY ATTRIBUTES 15
Strength      	 3
Dexterity     	 3
Constitution 	 2
Intelligence  	 2
Perception    	 3
Willpower     	 2

SECONDARY ATTRIBUTES
Life Points		30
Endurance		26
Speed			10
Essence			15

CHARACTER TRAITS
Race/Species: 		Human
Handedness: 		Right  
Height: 		190
Weight: 		82
Hair Colour: 		Black  
Eye Colour: 		Brown
Skin Tone: 		Captivatingly Kenyan

QUALITIES (12/5 points)		Cost
Influence (Military) 		1
Military Rank 			3	
Resources (Middle Class)	2

DRAWBACKS (7/10 points)		Cost
Obligation (Extreme) 		2
Animal Animosity 		2
Addiction (Heavy drinking) 	2
Humorless 			1

PULLING STRINGS
Base Clearance, 			2
Cheaper Vehicles (Military Aircraft), 	1
Military Training Facilities,		2
Mobility,				1
Specialized Aircraft			2

SKILLS (30/30 points)
Computers 		+1, 
Pilot (Jet plane) 	+5
Brawling 		+2
Bureaucracy 		+2 
Guns (Handgun) 		+5
Intimidation 		+5
Sciences (Physics) 	+5
Systems Operations (Electronic warfare) +5

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE

Picks will be made tomorrow; I already have an idea on preliminary picks, but I'll cement them tomorrow and have an OP up in the afternoon. Barring any sudden upsets or new submissions, I think I know who I'm taking.

Synoria Dyne
Nov 1, 2010

Tami Lea Kayla

Tami's been a part of the NSA almost as long as she's been able to legally serve her country, and has always been out in the field, doing the cloak and dagger sort of thing Hollywood loved to romanticize. But what Hollywood never told her was that the little grey men were real. They'd been here on earth for the longest time, and sometimes, the NSA picked up their broadcasts. They were usually shoved to the side and ignored, but you get enough of them and you start to get curious. Something was behind the new number stations, something was behind the deep, unnatural 'bloop' that they heard from the ocean.

And Agent Kayla had run into that something. She'd tracked it down, she'd hunted it through an office building that wasn't as abandoned as she thought, she'd dealt with the odd militia grunt who apparently wanted to protect the drat thing, and then she cornered it. But she didn't know what 'it' was at the time, and she didn't know what 'it' could do when its back was to the wall. It lashed out with its mind; she felt its very thoughts dig deep into hers, and she did the only thing she knew to do.

She fought back. She pushed back, willing herself towards the thing even as fears bubbled up from its mind into hers, pleading and begging and screaming. After a minute, it all stopped. She didn't know then that it had burned her out, but when she shot it, she knew the world seemed that much quieter. Not fifteen minutes later, Agent Kayla got to know the good folks of Aegis, and her life at the NSA got just that much more complicated...

pre:
Character Name: Tami Lea Kayla
Profession: NSA Intelligence Analyst
Description/Concept: Humorless NSA agent that has been around the block a few times when it comes to dealing with the greys

Sphere of Influence: Intelligence

PRIMARY ATTRIBUTES 15
Strength      	 2
Dexterity     	 2
Constitution 	 2
Intelligence  	 3
Perception    	 3
Willpower     	 3

SECONDARY ATTRIBUTES
Life Points		26
Endurance		26
Speed			8
Essence			15

CHARACTER TRAITS
Height: 		5’6”
Weight: 		145
Hair Colour: 		Red/White  
Eye Colour: 		Green
Skin Tone: 		Pale

QUALITIES 				Cost 8
Influence (Intelligence) 2		2
Resources (Middle Class)		2
Status 1				2
Adrenaline Surge			2

DRAWBACKS				Cost 10
Obligation (Total) 			3
Humorless				1
Honorable (Serious)			2
Notoriety				2
Psychic Burnout				2

PULLING STRINGS				Cost 7
“Blanket” Wiretaps			2
Computer Security Database		1
NIMA Support				1
“No Questions Asked”			2
Satellite Surveillance (Intelligence)	3

SKILLS (30/30 points)
Computer Hacking			3
Computers				2
Electronic Surveillance			3
Research/Investigation			3
Bureaucracy				3
Dodge					3
Guns (Submachine Guns)			2
Guns (Handguns)				2
Brawling				3
Martial Arts				4
Questioning				2

MARTIAL ARTS MOVES (12/12)
Roundhouse (CORE)			4
Spin Kick (CORE)			4
Roll with Blow (CORE)			4
Pistol Whip				3
Draw Pistol				3
Grab					3
Knee Strike				3

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
-----------------RECORDING BEGINS--------------------------------------

G.C.: So, I heard you wanted to ask me some questions about Harrison. He's not in trouble, is he?
Agent Baker: No, sir. This is just a routine investigation.
G.C.: He didn't deserve what happened to him, you know. Both the internal investigation and the Commission agreed that it wasn't his fault, but the press crucified him anyway.
Baker: Yes, sir. The press pointed out the over reliance on Afghan security.
G.C.: All of those men had been vetted, carefully. Sarbanri particularly had no known ties to the Taliban or jihadist groups. He was under such deep cover that God himself couldn't have known. How did people expect Harrison to? Look, I understand it. The vice-president is killed, and they want to blame somebody, so why not the head of his detail?
Baker: Do you know why Baker didn't defend himself more strongly from the accusations of incompetence? He was awfully passive in the whole aftermath, wasn't he?
G.C.: You've never been in the Protective Service. To lose somebody under your protection is the worst thing that could happen to you. I don't doubt that Harrison still blames himself. But he shouldn't. Nobody should.
Baker: Could you tell us more about Harrison's back <high pitched hum>
------------RECORDING CUTS OFF-------------------

pre:
Character Name: Jack Harrison
Profession: USSS Security Specialist
Description/Concept: Disgraced Secret Service Agent

Sphere of Influence: Law Enforcement

PRIMARY ATTRIBUTES 15
Strength      	 2
Dexterity     	 2
Constitution 	 2
Intelligence  	 3
Perception    	 3
Willpower     	 3

SECONDARY ATTRIBUTES
Life Points		26
Endurance		26
Speed			8
Essence			15

CHARACTER TRAITS
Height: 		6’2”
Weight: 		210
Hair Colour: 		Brown  
Eye Colour: 		Brown
Skin Tone: 		Tan

QUALITIES 			Cost - 6
Influence (Law Enforcement) 2	2
Resources (Middle Class)	2
Status 2			2

DRAWBACKS			Cost - 10
Obligation (Total)		3
Honorable (Serious)		2
Humorless			1
Disgraced        		2
Notoriety			2

PULLING STRINGS			Cost – 9
CEASEFIRE			1
Counterintelligence Files	1
Criminal Tracking		1
Governmental Access		1
Intel Files			1
Official Agendas		1
Personnel Tracking		1
Sending Presidential Orders	1
Stop Investigation		1

SKILLS (30/30 points)
Driving (Cars) 			2
First Aid 			1
Guns (Handgun) 			4
Notice				4
Surveillance 			4
Bureaucracy                     2
Questioning                     2
Tracking                        3
Computers                       1
Martial Arts                    3
Electronic Surveillance         3
Brawling                        1

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Aug 17, 2014

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Alright, I've gone and made my decisions. I was originally going to take five people, but nepotism is alive and well and I didn't want to unfairly cut someone just for my wife; so instead, I took six people total to give us a good coverage, and have been notified by a player they are changing their character and reflected it in my picks.

Synoria Dyne: Tami Kayla, NSA Field Analyst
MaliciousOnion: Nash Callahan, US Deputy Marshall
Simsense Cumshot: Jack Gates, US Army Ranger
Epicurius: Jack Harrison, USSS Security Specialist
Werix: Jennifer Stetson, CDC Scientist
Crowtribe: Martin Dash, Non-violent criminal

Before we can throw up an OP, you guys need to decide to how to spend your resource points. I've made a list of your collective points below; feel free to discuss it at length here or in #acolyte. Once we get a consensus, I can get the thread going. I'm looking to have the OP up later in the week, and I know Werix is gone to Gen Con so he might not weigh in.

How I've seen it work in the past is to throw up comparative wish lists using up the RP and agree on what you need. You'll need weapons and body armor and you've got a good diversity in weapons between you.

15 Intel RP
10 Military RP
10 LEO RP
5 S&R RP
5 Criminal RP

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
I've noticed that weapons and equipment have both an RP cost and monetary cost. How does that work? What's the difference between paying with RP and cash? Is it just tracibility of the item, in that, if you buy something with RP, it's invisible, whereas if you use cash, there's a record somewhere?

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Exactly. RP stuff leaves no trail; everything else does, and is usually for emergency purposes or FOR leaving a trail.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
So, some suggested equipment:

Weapons and Armor:

Handguns w/ammo (1 RP, Everyone but S&R)
-Silencers (1 RP, Crim, Int, Mil)
-Laser Sights (1 RP, Everyone but S&R)

Body Armor (1 RP, LEO, Mil)

Equipment

Audio Bugs (1 RP, Everyone but S&R)
Audio/Video Bugs (1 RP, Everyone but S&R)
Audio Recorder (1 RP, Everyone)
DSM (1 RP, Everyone)
Laser Eavesdropper (1 RP, Everyone but S&R)
Wiretap (1r RP, Everyone but S&R)
Radio, Personal (1 RP, Everyone)
-Scrambler (1 RP, Everyone)
Laptop (1 RP, Everyone)
-Image Processing Software (1 RP, Crim, Intel, S&R)
First Aid Kit (1 RP, Everyone)

Vehicle

Van (3 RP, Everyone)
-Autonav Computer (1 RP, Everyone)

We're still going to need an actual base and such, so that'll take up a bunch of our points.

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Aug 17, 2014

crowtribe
Apr 2, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The entire "Guns" skill held by the team is 100% handguns, bar Mrs. Dyne's additional submachine gun skill, so bearing that in mind:

Handgun (1 RP, 5 handguns, 5,000 rounds) - just about anyone can buy them with points.

In addition to Epicurius' list:
Bug detector (1RP, 3 units) - let's know if we're ever under outside surveillance.
Electronic lockpick (1RP, 2 units)
Lockpick gun (1 RP, 4 units)
Uniform (1RP, 24 sets) - no one ever takes notice of workmen.

Location and fitout:

Estate (5RP) Space 20 (Civilian, Criminal, Intel, Paranormal)
Automatically comes with 6 car spaces, a pool, a gym and 6 dorm bedrooms - not to mention privacy.
As to remaining fit outs, I'm not sure, but at least 3 workspaces (medical, engineering, electrical). (3 pts, 3 space)
Workstation (1 pt, 1 space)
Communication links ( 2pts, 1 space)

Vehicle:

Someone mentioned SWAT Vans are the best bang for your buck as they also provide you with "six submachine guns with flashlight mounts, 50 clips ammo, six helmets, six body armor, six gas masks, six headset microphones, 20 each stun and smoke grenades, vehicle comm link and scrambler, sledgehammer, and medical kit", saving you points spent elsewhere on those items.
A secondary civilian vehicle of some description would also be useful.

That's my input for now.

crowtribe fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Aug 17, 2014

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

crowtribe posted:

The entire "Guns" skill held by the team is 100% handguns, bar Mrs. Dyne's additional submachine gun skill, so bearing that in mind:

Simsense also has Shotguns and Assault Rifles from the sheet I saw. He still needs to update it, but I think he's out of town.
Also, do like Crowtribe does: post the RP costs with your suggestions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crowtribe
Apr 2, 2013

Grimey Drawer
My mistake, forgot simsense linked out to an actual sheet.

• Locked thread