Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Thank. loving. God.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Bautista: 1 for 8, but that was one timely 1.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
22 hits and only 5 runs.

This team is sunk. Fire Ausmus into the sun.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

I don't think Rick Porcello has ever had a relief appearance where he didn't blow it. He lasted longer than usual this time though

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

alpha_destroy posted:

edit: If someone would have gotten injured in like 18th or 19th and the bench was empty, do they just have to play with 8 players? Has this happened? Is the ninth position in the lineup just an out every time? I want to see this now.

You've still got starting pitchers, presumably.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

alpha_destroy posted:

That poo poo was dumb. Haha. We need another 19 inning game tomorrow, gotta keep the streak alive.

edit: If someone would have gotten injured in like 18th or 19th and the bench was empty, do they just have to play with 8 players? Has this happened? Is the ninth position in the lineup just an out every time? I want to see this now.

Could the managers sub in? There certainly have been player managers before but I don't know if you need to designate that before the game or something.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

toe knee hand posted:

You've still got starting pitchers, presumably.

In the game I referenced a number of pages back (a 20-inning game, Mets @ Cards), we started to see position players pitching and starting pitchers playing outfield positions. Kyle Lohse making a putout in LF? Priceless.

« Edit » MLB rules:

A game shall be forfeited to the opposing team when a team is unable or refuses to place nine players on the field.

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Aug 11, 2014

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

:3:

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
This dude's windup is painful to watch.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Alan Trammell posted:

I don't think Rick Porcello has ever had a relief appearance where he didn't blow it. He lasted longer than usual this time though

No closer mentality: Frederick Alfred "Rick" Porcello III

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

This is the god damned best.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?
Justin Upton just hit a dinger for his 1000th hit and 500th RBI. Awesome.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

William T. Hornaday posted:

This dude's windup is painful to watch.

Alex Wood? Yeah it's crazy how far back he reaches w/ the ball, looks like he's going to fall over. He's good, he gets a lot of strikeouts without overpowering stuff

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Dear Pitcher. When the first baseman breaks to get the ball, you need to go to first base.

Sincerely,

A baseball fan

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro
I haven't seen every game Gio pitched but all of them I have seen for the last month or so have been painful.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

cool game to watch if you like strikeouts. alex wood was pretty great tonight

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

I think I need to hear this fake indian war chant played over the loudspeaker another 800 times before I really get sick of it

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

What did Harper do to earn the ire of Braves fans? I mean, I AM one, so I am not sure. I don't like him much but not to the degree of rampant boo'ing.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

Yay! gently caress Walgreen's!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Eltoasto posted:

What did Harper do to earn the ire of Braves fans? I mean, I AM one, so I am not sure. I don't like him much but not to the degree of rampant boo'ing.

I'm curious about this, too.

I mean, there are players Cardinals fans love to hate. Brandon Phillips comes to mind. Nyger Morgan, too, although the redbirds are hardly alone in that arena. But in both cases, those are players who went out of their way to disrespect the team or the fans, and not by smudging some dirt art stencil of an interlocking STL. They actually went on Twitter and made their feelings known. Dumb as it was, it was at least something. I consider myself a connoisseur of unwritten rules violations; rooting for a La Russa team for 16 years will do that. I get the thing about walking in front of the catcher on your way to your side of the plate, and the thing about running over the pitcher's mound... but messing up an A written in dirt? Isn't it pretty much on the spot where he has to walk? Is there video of this or something?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Eltoasto posted:

This particular time he scuffed the A behind the plate on his way to an at bat or something. It seems pretty dumb to me but baseball.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Oh my god he totally scuffed the A.

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2014/8/10/5988151/bryce-harper-braves-logo-video-lol-barves

I guess they have always boo'd him for the normal reasons, this just escalated it.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Oh, geez.

1. Yes, it's pretty clearly intentional. He manages to pick his foot up on every other step in the gif provided; he only seems to have this mini-stroke causing his foot to noticeably drag at the very moment his foot is over the A.

2. But let's keep this in perspective: it's not like it's a well-established rule, written or not, that you don't drag your feet through a dirt stencil behind home plate. Yeah, he messed it up on purpose, and yeah, he's kind-of a pussy for not just admitting it, but is this what you want to get mad at? C'mon. This isn't worth getting upset over. And when a Cardinals fan tells you it's not worth getting upset over, it's not worth getting upset over.

This is kid stuff, on both sides. Braves: you put something that's super-easy to mess up in a spot where almost any player has a chance to mess it up, someone's going to mess it up. Put the A in the grass, like we do with the arch. Let's see him mess that up.

And Bryce: seriously? Anyone who draws an A in dirt on dirt is probably going to get mad if their precious work of art gets messed up. Don't poke the bear, even if that bear is hopelessly impotent.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Bryce Harper kicked some dirt on a baseball field and is now an rear end in a top hat.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

tarlibone posted:

Oh, geez.

1. Yes, it's pretty clearly intentional. He manages to pick his foot up on every other step in the gif provided; he only seems to have this mini-stroke causing his foot to noticeably drag at the very moment his foot is over the A.

2. But let's keep this in perspective: it's not like it's a well-established rule, written or not, that you don't drag your feet through a dirt stencil behind home plate. Yeah, he messed it up on purpose, and yeah, he's kind-of a pussy for not just admitting it, but is this what you want to get mad at? C'mon. This isn't worth getting upset over. And when a Cardinals fan tells you it's not worth getting upset over, it's not worth getting upset over.

This is kid stuff, on both sides. Braves: you put something that's super-easy to mess up in a spot where almost any player has a chance to mess it up, someone's going to mess it up. Put the A in the grass, like we do with the arch. Let's see him mess that up.

And Bryce: seriously? Anyone who draws an A in dirt on dirt is probably going to get mad if their precious work of art gets messed up. Don't poke the bear, even if that bear is hopelessly impotent.

The funny thing is, nobody was really mad about it until the person that runs the Braves twitter account and the TV people said something. It blew up to be a lot more than it ever should have been.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

BasicFunk posted:

The funny thing is, nobody was really mad about it until the person that runs the Braves twitter account and the TV people said something. It blew up to be a lot more than it ever should have been.

You mean someone made a mountain out of a molehill on Twitter?

You, sir, are a liar.

You feel that burning on your legs?

That's your pants-fire.

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."
Nobody actually cares about the A. Harper was being a child but nobody really gives a poo poo. A lot of Braves fans have some innate hatred of him, so any excuse to boo him harder is a good one in their minds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
The funny thing is that he did it three times. Every time he went to bat he dragged his foot through it.

• Locked thread