Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl

Fat Samurai posted:

I went on a murder spree with the Bachelor, killing bandits to improve my reputation...

The cries of small cherubs still haunt my dreams :smith:

Yeah - no matter the character, you are, by the virtue of the mechanics, encouraged to spend the nights just butchering the poor gentlemen of cloak and dagger left and right. The organs are just a little bonus for Artemiy. There aren't any story quests at night and, chances are, you will not sleep through the entire night. Plus, there's also the fact that there are nightly little vignettes at the theater, and you will, essentially, have no choice but to bump into some of these folks. They drop a lot of money and barter items, as well as boosting your reputation - plus, they're one of the easiest enemies in the game to learn the pattern. You just can't go wrong in killing some of these chumps.

HellishWhiskers fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Aug 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
No, no, no... I would kill upstanding citizens, AND THEN would kill bandits to make it all good with the general populace. That was one mechanic that didn't look very well thought out.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
They are video game characters so you don't really hurt them

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
It may be just me, but man this game looks like it is a mod in one of those FPS games (AKA bad). I can't even tell the location of plot-related characters from the map screenshots (but then I am an idiot so...).

The story is intriguing thus far, however. Keep up your good work!

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
http://feverishfeeling.com/en/

e: they have laptops in pathologic now

ANIME MONSTROSITY fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Aug 8, 2014

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Bachelor LP of the game was never archived right? Just the Impostress? Speaking of which, rereading it again that intro actually gives away a good bit of the game if you know what's coming.

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

http://feverishfeeling.com/en/

e: they have laptops in pathologic now

Yessssss. There's a secret on that page too. Click the skull on the left.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Aug 8, 2014

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

RBA Starblade posted:

Yessssss. There's a secret on that page too. Click the skull on the left.

I don't know the password :saddowns:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

I don't know the password :saddowns:

You need to kill the next person you see on the street, steal their kidney, and trade it to a hunchback out on the steppe for the password after a minute-long conversation in broken English.

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl
Chapter Two - Part 1

Shortly before going to sleep for the night, Artemiy received a letter.

The partial misunderstanding has been cleared up
Bachelor Dankovsky has managed to find out the truth. The murderer of Simon Kain, and, therefore, (because the connection between their deaths is obvious) your esteemed Father Isidore Burakh, is an enigmatic disease.

Your good name will soon be slowly restored, brick by brick. Nevertheless, we are swift in warning you that some biased personages will be willfully ignorant to the well-known facts and some fools will not listen to them at all.

Be careful. Each of the three families is playing a game to suit its interests.

Always at your service,

Your Well-Wishers

How the letter appeared in his personal effects Artemiy had no idea. It just did. Not thinking too hard about such circumstances, Artemiy went to sleep in the cramped attic of Eva's house.

Day Two, the only one during which, in all outcomes, Haruspex will gain more than he will lose.

Upon waking up, Artemiy found two letters in his personal effects.

Olgimsky Sr.'s invitation

The matter of your inheritance has been sorted out. Come to me for instructions. Be careful.

Olgimsky

Short and to the point, the yesterday's more meandering tone was gone. On to the second letter...

Bachelor's Invitation

I insistently ask you to visit me today, starting from 7 AM. Because of this visit, the usefulness of that, which you may find within your inheritance, may increase exponentially.

Your friend (or, at least, I would like to think so)

Daniil Dankovsky.

P.S. If the information that I have uncovered is correct, then this disease is truly abominable. I get shivers down my spine when I think of what is to come.

The letter seemed rather redundant, since Artemiy spent the night in the same room Dankovsky had. Bachelor, it seemed, would rather write him a long-winded letter than address him directly. Strange timidness from a man, who, yesterday, has sworn to drain him of his blood, drop by drop.

Have you received your father's inheritance?

Artemiy stared at him for a moment – they have been in the same attic for the past six hours or so. To be fair, though, Dankovsky did look tired. It looks like he spent the whole night buried in books. Perhaps, he simply didn't pay any attention to the surrounding world. Artemiy decided to humor him.

Why are you so interested in it, exactly?

Why? Because there's sure to be some very important information in it. I, of course, am a skeptic when it comes to this... ancient medicine. In our situation, however, everything can be useful. There might be your father's notes in there, right?

It's possible, yeah.

Right now, I'm studying all the notes on the First Outbreak. If at least one tenth of these, then we are faced with a prospect of a catastrophe. However, it seems that Isidore Burakh has managed to defeat this monstrosity before. If there are any materials in your inheritance on this matter, then they could, very well, save us.

First Outbreak?

Stanislav Rubin – one of your father's pupils, by the way – told me that, a couple of years ago, there was an outbreak of a strange disease in this town – a disease that had a lot of similar properties with the one that killed Simon Kain.

Bachelor suddenly became lost in his thoughts.

Do continue.

Then, the disease spread in one of the poorest districts and it was only contained due to a sheer miracle. It lasted for about two or three days, but the memories that it left behind reek of such a primal horror that... Well... In any case, Isidore's inheritance can prove to be very useful.

I see...

Vlad Olgimsky, who, I believe, is very invested in your affairs, is one of the three most influential people in this town. I believe that, if he wills it, then you will receive your inheritance immediately. In this town, the law is the will of its three rulers. Ask him for it.

I was actually going to see him after you.

When you receive your inheritance, head back to me. I believe that we'll definitely have more to talk about. I think that you will find many a mystery in there and, perhaps, my knowledge can help you shine a light on them. You'll come, right?

I will...

A night of intense study seemed to have left Dankovsky with nothing but desperation. It seemed that he was inches away from full-blown panic – not a good sign for the fate of the Town. Artemiy left the house and headed to Clot, the Olgimsky family house.

The rainy weather did not make for a walk too comfortable. Besides, the feeling urgency in the air, as well as the smell of tvyr did not allow the rain to remove the air of stuffiness that permeated the town.

Vlad Sr. was dutifully waiting for Artemiy. Having seemingly not moved from the spot at which he was yesterday, he looked like an old, fleshy oak.

I have a number of news, Master Burakh. Most of them are bad, but there is one that is a good one.

Start with the good one, then.

You can officially accept your inheritance. No one will dare to bar you from it. They have no evidence against you. You can take the key from Alexander Saburov. I have no clue how or why he has them, but that is how it is... Those are the god news.

Alexander Saburov? Who is he?

Well, you see – I'm not the only one carrying the burden of leadership in our town. The power is divided between the three families – Olgimsky family, Saburov family and Kain family. The Saburovs have,within their sphere, the executive power – at least, most of the time. The mechanism of enforcement, if you will.

I see. And the bad news?

The bad news are these – I've spoken with Saburovs about your case. Well, without any exaggeration, I can that Alexander Saburov is furious. It seems, that he will make the utmost effort to completely and utterly annihilate you – regardless of my word or my protection.

How did I manage to deserve such enmity from him?

I don't think that it's his ire you've garnered but, rather, his wife's. Katherine is a Mistress, a woman with mystic gifts... However her personal qualities are, her opinion is respected. In short, she received a prophecy that you will set in motion a great bloodshed. That is the price you have to pay to ascend, or so she says.

Is that how it is? I can assure you that a mass bloodshed wasn't part of my plans.

Oh, I believe you, I do... But, what else is there to say? Alexander trusts his wife much more than me. Saburovs, whose duty is to preserve order, can't be happy with you, having made such a ...discovery about your mission in this town. Alexander, it seems, made it his sworn duty to stop you from fulfilling this...ahem... prophecy.

Is the power of your name enough to stop him?

For now, yes. However, the news of Simon Kain's death, rumours about the start of an epidemic... all of this has blown the lid off of our little town. The people are terrified. Alexander is demanding emergency powers. If he receives them, then I will be unable to help as much as I can help you now. The Clot will not protect you.

What is there to do,then?

We'll hope for the best. In case of trouble, I ordered for a safehouse to be found – someplace where you can take shelter and work, in case Saburov receives the powers he vies for and demands that you are given up. It's not the most comfortable place, sure, but it's protected. It will become your home.

What is this safehouse, exactly?

I ordered my son to sort the matter out... He'll tell you and, hopefully, lead you there.

I see. If that is all, I'll head out.

Wait for a bit, this is important. This Bachelor... he has all the power in the town, for now. I don't trust him, it feels as though he's plotting against us. He's a smart one, though, that is the truth... So it's best that you two become friends. Everything that needs to examined, he will do so – and offer his ideas on the matter, to boot. I, on my part, will make sure that he doesn't cause any harm.

Hmm... well, I was going to see him after I get my inheritance, anyway. Thank you, boos Vlad.

Oh, don't be too thankful... I've done too little for you. Mad, dangerous times. Talk to Alexander and, perhaps, his wife. Use this short reprieve and however little immunity you have left...

I will.

Artemiy was grateful for all the help Vlad provided, but he wished that Vlad wasn't so transparent with his schemes. However much help a person provides, it will still be irritating if the same person is trying to clumsily pull a veil over one's eyes...

The Inheritance of a Servitor

My Father's house is sealed. His property is under arrest. Right now, it is kept under a watchful eye of Alexander Saburov, he is responsible for the order in the city. He will be the one to give me the key to my father's inheritance.

Before heading into the clutches of Saburovs, Artemiy visited Kapella.

The girl was quiet - slightly lost in thoughts, it would seem.

Me and my dad – we'll defend you and give you shelter. We trust you.

Do you, now?

I've already heard that Saburov hates you. Katherine has twisted his mind with her prophecies. It seems, that he thinks that you are someone more dangerous than shabnak-adyr. If he receives absolute power, then we will have to hide you. He will demand your surrender.

His power isn't absolute now, is it?

Of course not. As always, there are three ruling families. After mom's death, however, Saburovs' position is stronger – because Katherine is the last mistress left. How much longer will I have to wait?

Wait for what?

I am the inheritor of my mother. Time will come and I will take her place in order to grow this town and take care of my people. I told you already, silly.

You'll be a Mistress, just like Katherine?

Katherine is a weak Mistress. She sees the future, yes, but she cannot change anything, or grant power to the people, like Mom. Saburov wants to augment her weakness with his power. Wants to rule alone, with an iron fist.

How is he planning to achieve that?

Under the guise of fighting the epidemic. Have you heard Bachelor's announcement?

I have, I think. About the epidemic?

Yes... If he told the truth, and this rumour will become a reality, then God help us! Then, it's best that we all unite behind someone...

How will this help Saburovs, precisely?

Saburovs, for centuries, have been responsible for handling the administration of this town. It's the traditional role of their family. When everything was going well, they weren't really needed. Now... their hour has struck. I'm sure that he's glad for this epidemic. He'll make us remember the privileges of Saburov family.

When is all this supposed to happen?

Who knows... If Bachelor's suspicions are correct, then it will happen tomorrow. I, however, hope that it won't happen at all...

Me too...

The prospects were grim, and it wasn't possible for his visit to Saburov to go over smoothly. Still, daylight was wasting, and Artemiy headed out.

The atmosphere in the town was of a decidedly trepidatory nature. Women seemed to hurry about, men were walking with nervous glances. The rumours have already spread, and everyone was bracing for the blow that was to come.

The building looked like a makeshift prison, and the poster on the wall did not serve to make it more reassuring. Artemiy hoped that he wouldn't have to pass by this place too much.

Yet more stairways to heaven... The stories about these things must be truly fascinating but, Artemiy felt, these were excesses that the town just couldn't afford at this point in juncture.

Finally, after a protracted trek, he started to discern what looked like the Saburov Family Home through the fog.

Artemiy was entirely unwelcome in this house, that much is clear. That wasn't a testament to Saburovs' perception of Artemiy, though – this house did not look like it would welcome anyone.

The interior was as homely as the interior. Artemiy imagined countless servants bumping into these strangely placed columns that reminded him, very much, of prison bars.

Approaching Saburov, Artemiy noticed that the man looked as if he was slapped across the face by his presence. Artemiy allowed himself a chuckle.

Who let you in here?

The door was open, you know.

So, you have the gall to come here yourself? I thought that you would send someone here. Or, perhaps, you don't think that I know everything about your deeds – both past and future?

Future deeds? Go ahead, this should be interesting...

Stop pretending, Burakh! You were born here. Your childhood was spent here. Sometimes, I think I even remember you. You were here even for the “Long Battle” of the Mistresses – Victoria's and Nina's. You know, that Mistresses see the future.

What have the dead Mistresses discerned in my future?

Your future has been discerned by a living Mistress. Katherine Saburov, my wife. She knows the amount of woe that you will bring in the coming days. If only you weren't under Olgimsky's protection... You'd have been in the prison cell already!

Since when is the testimony of an oracle a basis for imprisonment?

I would have imprisoned you on my own, even without the prophecy – by my own will. Perhaps, in the capital you may claim your civil freedoms - here, your rights begin and end with the will of the rulers!

Oh, I've understood that very well already...

I know that you are a murderer. Moreover, you are one of the most terrible murderers that the poor citizens of this town had the misfortune to ever encounter. You are accused of premeditated murder of, at least, four people. The death of Simon Kain and your Father's death are also currently being investigated.

You have absolutely no evidence.

I will have it, soon enough! Were it not for Simon's death, were it not for this sudden epidemic... All this chaos... If only my hands were untied... Perhaps, this evening, I will be able to free myself from these ropes, and your patron Olgimsky won't be able to veto my actions anymore.

You know, I'm starting to like Vlad more and more...

Only due to my respect for Bachelor will I be giving you your inheritance. He is, for some reason, convinced of your innocence – something that is forgivable, considering that he is a stranger in this town. I will be keeping my eye on your every move. Don't try to hide.

Keep an eye, if you must.

Regardless, you are free to take your possessions. The affairs of the deceased were conducted by some personage by the name of Ospina. She lives not too far from here, in a den at the Raw Structures. Find the road there yourself, if you must. I won't give you a guide - and don't you dare leave the town. Your guilt is almost proven.

We'll see...

Alexander's intense hostility killed any desire to crack jokes that Artemiy may have had. He never liked zealots, so he decided not to tarry long here. He already had the key, now he only had to find the box. Besides, he still had the joy of visiting Katherine ahead of him. Perhaps, she won't be as unpleasant as her husband was? Artemiy delayed the meeting by expanding out his journal entry on the matter of the inheritance.

Saburov sent me to someone named Ospina, who was conducting the affairs of my father. Perhaps, she can introduce me to his affairs. It's strange that Saburov didn't just give me the key and send me on my way...

Strange indeed, but, perhaps, he doesn't have the evidence he claims to have and is simply hoping that Artemiy will produce more. That must be it, unless there is some other angle that Artemiy is missing... No need for further delays, time to go see Katherine.

What a decidedly dour, garish and all-around unpleasant painting... Why would someone hang something like this in their house? Katherine herself had a dour expression on her face

So it was you, about whom I had that vision... The man, who will carry out a great sacrifice and will spill the great rivers of blood... I get it now...

Speak precisely, if you would.

What torment... Where is that fool, why aren't they bringing the morphine? Isn't there anyone to send for it? And you – why are you here? Don't come near me!

Why are you afraid of me?

There was a prophecy... Oh how my temples hurt.... You are destined to drown our town in blood. These are the precise words. You will carry out a great sacrifice. You will spill rivers of blood. You will return into the Earth all of the blood that was taken from it in the past ten years... Leave! Now!

Why would I carry out such a sacrifice?

In order to ascend... and take your rightful place... You will be made to carry out this bloody sacrifice, so that you can fulfill your predestination.

What a collection of empty, vain words...

Dear God, what is happening... I need an injection... Get away! Leave... I need some morphine...

Fine, fine – I'm leaving...

The conversation was haphazard, cryptic and entirely unsatisfying for both parties... Was this everything that Alexander based his zealotry on? drat these people, and drat this town for its foolish ways... Artemiy didn't have to like them, even if he had the duty to protect them.

Exiting the house, Artemiy found a new letter in his personal effects.

Rubin's Threat

Olgimsky Family is covering for you. They didn't give me the location of your hideout – they need you alive too much. I, however, don't need the recipes nor the money. You will not escape.

Great, more fury and zeal for him to deal with. No use to worry about it now, though. Time to visit this Ospina.

The rain's wetness has only served to amplify the reek of Apiary. Still, mercifully, the rain stopped just as Artemiy approached it. Turning the corner, he soon found the house he was looking for

The house looked decidedly out of place – a strange sight in the place of identical houses placed in winding rows.

The interior of the house felt otherworldly, and Artemiy could swear that heard whispers of voices below as he passed through here.

Ospina regarded him with a facade of timeless indifference that, nevertheless, betrayed a sense of keen interest.

So that's how you look... Haruspex, oinon, inheritor of Servitor Burakh. One of the line of menkhu.

Artemiy was curious of how much Ospina knows.

Menkhu? Who are Menkhu?

Menkhu – those who know the lines of the body. Those, who have the right to make incisions. Those, who know how to sever the connections of the body in a way that won't offend the Earth.

Indeed... You know the answers to my questions.

Only through a miracle did I manage to preserve your inheritance. Now, you can accept it in full.

Through a miracle? How so?

Others almost managed to take it away from you. By the orders of those, who hold the power in this town. They managed to steal some of the notes, while I didn't pay attention. You would've received an empty box... and debts. Now, however, you'll receive a heavy one. There it is, right behind me. Do you have the key?

Yes, right here – what did these people want, though?

To check the notes, I think. Find the trail of the killer. Do you believe that your father was also killed by the disease?

Well... They said that he had a strange wound in his chest.

Ospina winced when she heard Artemiy say it.

Hmm... So, you've already heard... Yes. They presuppose that this is a wound from the claw of Shabnak-adyg. That's why this manhunt after the woman man-eater began. You've already been told? You have... In vain...

Adyg? What is Shabnak-Adyg?

A demonic being. It's sculpted out of clay, bones and blood. Looks like a human, stuffed with bones. Steppe gives birth to it when it needs a weapon to fulfill the original intention.

I see... Who are you, yourself, exactly?

I am an evil spirit. That is my origin. They call me Ospina. In comparison to Shabnak, I am a relatively harmless being... I sow distress, fear, and awaken the heavy sensation of a time slipping away. Towards you, however, I harbor nothing but sympathy.

Why is that?

I don't know, myself, yet. You shouldn't trust the Big Vlad, though. You can trust his daughter, though. She...she will be a great one. Even if she is born of a foul root, her mother was very good. I pray that the girl takes after her mother. Vlad, on the other hand, is a scoundrel.

That may be, but I am grateful to those who helped me in hard times.

You know, I am glad that you've returned to us.

You are glad?

Yes and no... I see in all this the cruel will of fate. Your father died, and, immediately, there you were. We had great hopes for old Burakh – hopes that he failed to justify. You, on the other hand, will absolutely justify them. The Earth made its will known. The Order made its will known, too.

Tell me about the Order.

The Order are your people. Children of Bodkho, the Steppe folk who are toiling here without rest. Out of their own flesh and blood, as well as the bull hides and bones, they, for many generations, have been building this town. The houses grow out of their bones, the trees are feed with their sweat.

How many of them are now?

Eighteen hundred are working in the Abattoir. Another eleven hundred are odongs, they herd the bulls out in the Steppes. Twenty four hundreds are working for Fat Vlad in the factories. A lot of those have disappeared among the folks that came after the Fire.

The one, after which the Apiary was built?

Exactly. That Apiary is closed right now. Sealed from outside, while the doors and windows are guarded by armed men, hired by Olgimsky. Now that you've arrived, however, this state of affairs won't last long.

Me? What am I to do with that?

Ospina chuckled

Oh, don't mind me – I'm just being superstitious. I can't hear the Earth the way the Brides can hear it, but I can hear the voice of the Order. I know their feelings. They wanted your Father and, now, they will want you. If they will survive until they find out about you, that is.

Why wouldn't they survive until then?

The infection spreads like wildfire, and there is no escape from it. The entire Order, except for a couple of refugees who were lucky to be outside, are sealed inside the wings of the Apiary.

Who locked them in?

Big Vlad. Said there was a mutiny of some sort. He's lying, of course.

I'll talk to him later.

Ospina grew quiet and that meant it was time for him to open the box with his Father's inheritance. He inserted the key, turned it and opened it.

Inside, he found a respectable sum of money, some notes, some tvyr herbs, two strange figurines made of herbs and a metallic symbol, the likes of which he has seen many times. A Tauro.

This was the strangest item that he had found in his inheritance. It was clearly full of meaning – meaning that he could not yet grasp. He decided to talk to Ospina about the herbs first.

Do you know where and how to collect these herbs?

If you walk around willy-nilly, then you won't gather much. One needs to know the places, though, this year, there is an exceeding amount of Tvyr and Savyur out in the Steppe. Inconceivable amounts, really. Just like it was eleven years ago, when they were building the Cold Tower. It's simpler to ask the Gatherers, really.

Gatherers? Who are they?

A caste in its own right. All of them are, usually, Worms. In truth, there aren't many of them left. Some time ago, they had a war between themselves, of a sort. Killed each other, when someone started buying secrets from them. There was this fad here – smoky Tvyr cocktail... That's when they started vying for it and... Well, you know...

Why do you call them Worms, though?

Well... Worms are the children of Bodkho, too – like humans. They're simpler, but closer to Earth. They feel the soil better, speak with the herbs kinder. Tvyr grows differently from the rest of the herbs, you know. Every blade of it has its own name and character. It needs to be known, pampered, cared for.

Where can I find them?

On the edge of the town, there are three Worms... They were waiting for someone's death, staking someone out. He was trying to escape from here yesterday, you know... I can show you where to look for them, and, after that, you're on your own... They don't usually sit in one place, except at night, when they sleep...

Thank you, Ospina.

She showed him the location of the Worm tents on the map. It became clear to Artemiy that he met one of these Worms yesterday. Good, that means he already knew one of them. This would prove useful later, or so Artemiy thought.

He was getting ready to leave when he dropped one of the herbal figurines. Upon picking it up, he noticed that its herbal components were meticulously spun strands of tvyr. The two figurines were made of different herbs, put together in different order. This was clearly important, and Artemiy consulted the notes in the inheritance. Soon enough, it became clear that these figurines were, in fact, the recipes for tvyr remedies.

My Mission

Here he is, before me – the one Sought-For. Here he is, the Fiduciary, marked by the sign of Tauro. He is sick, he is dying. He is chest-deep in the Earth.

The affairs that my father didn't have time to finish will be concluded by me. I don't know who the one Sought-For is, but I already know how to prolong his life.

They started talking about the epidemic of Sand Fever. I don't know who's dying yet, but I already know the cause. The enemy has returned – an enemy that has already been defeated by my Father once before. He didn't leave this box behind to give me his material fortunes, after all. It doesn't just contain the sign of an unfinished duty.

It contains the knowledge, the recipes of remedies, the key to creating a panacea. Panacea – that is the true cure for the one Sought-For, the Fiduciary, marked by the sign of Tauro. I do not know who is dying, yet, but I already know how to return him to life.

There are two paths before me that I must tread. To find out who is marked by the Tauro is the first. Without wasting time, to find out the recipe of the Panacea is the second.

It is time to act.

First things first, Artemiy had to find out more about these remedies.

Tell me more about these remedies, if you would...

They have many various properties. In our situation, the most precious of roles that they may play is the role of medicine that is criminally absent from the local pharmacies. Some increase your immunity, while others can dull your pain and decrease your hunger or fatigue.

Do the pharmacies really not have any medicine?

Some do, but it's usually bad or expired. Someone has, recently, bought out everything that was brought in from the Capital. I wonder who would've needed all that medicine. It could've been useful. Tvyr, after all, isn't a healing herb. Earth is not for the man, but the man is for the Earth.

I disagree with you there. However, can you tell me more about Tvyr?

It transforms anything it touches. If you want to practice the same art your Father did, then you should beef up your stocks of the herb. There are stronger herbs out there, you know. White Whip, for example.

What does the White Whip do?

White Whip is ever the enigma. It's almost impossible to find out in the Steppe on your own, by the way – it's best to ask the Gatherers. What properties does it have, though, I don't recall. One needs to know the recipes, and much depends on the Tvyr you use.

Why?

Every blade of Tvyr has its own personality, that is known. All of them are different, unique. All types of it, however, have the same commonalities. Thus, even if you don't know the life of each and every herb, you can try to make a remedy out of them – at your own peril, of course. There will be an effect, one way or another.

I will take this advice, and many others you've given me. Thank you very much, Ospina.

She closed her eyes and nodded. It was difficult, but Artemiy had finally done it. He has come into the power, vested into him by his Father. Still, there were many blanks left to fill.

Yes, there are a lot of confusing things here. Not so much in terms of chirurgy, but in terms of chemistry... It would be wise to ask the Bachelor's opinion on this, I think. Let him speak his mind.

Sound advice, especially for one given to himself. Artemiy headed out.

These were the factories where his people toiled... Why would Olgimsky seal the Apiary, Artemiy wondered. He decided not to press the issue quite yet, seeing as he was the only powerful patron that Artemiy had, but it was something that he would have to get to the bottom of eventually.

After an hour of walking, Artemiy finally arrived to the Stone Yards.

Bachelor was silent and looked like he was about to drop from exhaustion. Still, he noticeably perked up when he saw Artemiy.

Well? Were there any notes in the inheritance?

There were.

Can I see them?

I can tell you myself. They were recipes of tvyr mixtures. I don't think he gave them to the sick folks, not in this form. I think he used them as ingredients in preparing the remedies.

Dankovsky fell silent – first, in disappointment, but, as he thought more, new plans formed in his head. His expression said it all.

Well?

Curious. Does that mean, that Isidore Burakh was creating these natural... well... reagents? Did he distill them, or did he extract the chemicals from them in some other way? Did he use them to cleanse the blood to create a vaccine? Hmm... drat it - who knows what it was exactly...

A lot of people would kill for the secrets of these mixtures, oinon.

Yes, well – I was expecting more... But, no matter. Let's sort these notes out – maybe, we can use these recipes to our advantage. We'll do more together than apart, you know. On to the next matter – I've heard that you have been enjoying the patronage of the Olgimsky family?

That is correct, yes.

The Elder Vlad seems a tad too busy right now, but the Younger Vlad seems to be a decidedly reasonable and useful fellow. Ask him if there is equipment in this town, by the means of which you can create one of these mixtures. I'm sure that he knows of some sort of a distiller that you can use.

I'm sure he does...

If you figure out how to synthesize these reagents or, at least, make something to work with, bring it to me. I'll run some tests and we'll figure out how we can use them.

Alright, that settles it. I'll be back when I have something.

The storm was coming, but Artemiy was getting closer and closer to the tools that would let him brave it. Before going to Vlad Jr. in order to ask him about the hideout and the distilling apparatus, Artemiy would rest. For now, he still had time to do so.

HellishWhiskers fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Aug 10, 2014

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl

Fat Samurai posted:

No, no, no... I would kill upstanding citizens, AND THEN would kill bandits to make it all good with the general populace. That was one mechanic that didn't look very well thought out.

Ah, apologies for misunderstanding. Nevertheless, you've joined a good club! :unsmigghh:

Jeek posted:

It may be just me, but man this game looks like it is a mod in one of those FPS games (AKA bad). I can't even tell the location of plot-related characters from the map screenshots (but then I am an idiot so...).

The story is intriguing thus far, however. Keep up your good work!

The game didn't age well, that would be correct, but it keeps the atmosphere it's going for well enough, I think. About the map, you aren't the first one in this thread, so it's probably my fault, and I'll try to take better map screenshots - it's a bit hard, the game closes the map whenever I take screenshots, which sucks. However, I think looking at the map screens in the updates in conjunction with the whole map provided in the post below the OP would help a bit.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Were the Bachelor and Haruspex this friendly toward each other in the Bachelor run of this? I don't remember it much but it seemed more hostile, though that could also just have been the translation problems.

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl

RBA Starblade posted:

Were the Bachelor and Haruspex this friendly toward each other in the Bachelor run of this? I don't remember it much but it seemed more hostile, though that could also just have been the translation problems.
NPC Haruspex is a very difficult jerk, both to Klara and, to a slightly lesser degree, to Bachelor. Player kind of has the option to be a jerk, as well, but you'll be railroaded into cooperation anyway, so I decided to play nice, because, otherwise, Haruspex looks like a spiteful bratty kid who won't share his toys because everyone else is mean to him.

HellishWhiskers fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Aug 9, 2014

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl
After I sent some of my translation work to one of my friends, he asked if “Shabnak-Adyg” was a creature from a real myth. I didn't know the answer to this question, but it interested me greatly. Since the game also uses a number of strange terms that are decidedly alien to an English, I decided to look into some of the supposed origins of the terms that the developers at Ice-Pick Lodge might have been inspired by when creating. This is all original research, so prepare for lots of possibly erroneous speculation.

Steppe Town's Mythology, as a whole

The Town's state of affairs borrows fairly heavily and obviously – upon research, that is – from Nart Saga, creation myths of various tribes that lived in the Ossetian Region in VI-IV centuries BCE. According to one version, which is interesting for our purposes, the word “Nart” comes from Ossetian «нζ арт», which roughly translates as “Our Fire.” Another version states that the word comes from Mongolian “Nara”, which means “The Sun”.

There is an uncertainty as to what the Narts are supposed to represent – Russian articles on the matter state that “Narts” are the heroes of the multiple tales, of which the Saga consists. Other sources state that Narts are the families, from which these heroes came. Finally, the Narts can be simply described as general people who are the participants in the Saga, in the same vein as the game refers to the steppe people of the town as the Order.

There were three families prominently featured in the Ossetian version of the Nart Saga – Akhsartagkahta, Alagahta and Borakhta. Akhsartagkahta were a family of warriors, featured most prominently in the Saga. Alagahta were a family, mostly responsible for brokering peace and tending to all matters philosophical and spiritual. Borakhta were a family that were the merchants, traders and workers of these people. They were the richest, they had the most livestock and they were constantly feuding with Akhsartagkahta family, often resorting to plotting and intrigue in order to contend with the military power of the family. All three families lived in a single, tiered settlement, situated on a mountain range.

There are very clear parallels to be drawn between the saga and the state of affairs in our little Steppe town that is the subject of the game. In particular, the way that the Borakhta family mirrors the Olgimsky family that clearly supports the Burakhs is especially interesting. In researching the Nart Saga, I've also saw a couple of things, which haven't yet surfaced in the game that I could link to this particular mythos.

Individual terms and their possible Origins

Certain terms used in the speech of the steppe folk are a clear send-up to various tribes that inhabited. For example,in the aforementioned “Shabnak-Adyg”, the second part of the word is a clear reference to the Adyghe people, who inhabited the Ossetian region and who have their own version of Nart Saga.

The first part of the word, Shabnak, is something the origin of which I'm unsure of. My best guess, right now, is that it links to “Shatana” - no connection to Satan at all, mind you - a female nart who is the subject of many tales. Described as a benevolent mistress, who had many great powers and skills, she could also be an inspiration for the concept of great Mistresses with special powers, in general. I won't speculate about this too much, for now, for fear of spoilers.

Having looked into it, the term “Menkhu”, which is used frequently in the game to denote the bloodline of healers that Artemiy belongs to, stems from Ossetian word “Менхуζрифурт” or “Menkhuaerifurt”, which is a term that describes the blood ties that bind the members of a single family.

Having searched, I've also found the references to the word “Oinon” in the Nart Saga. In the game, Artemiy is called “Oinon” by many of the steppe folk, and he calls Dankovsky an “Oinon” as well. From the context, I'd venture to say that the term is used to denote a learned man, a wise man or a healer. Now, in the Nart Saga, there is a reference to a certain Wheel of Oinon, a fiery wheel sent by the Khur, an embodiment of the Sun in the mythos, to kill a man for refusing the advances of his daughter. The connection might seem flimsy, but, a fiery wheel, – I.E., the Sun – being used to represent brightness and wisdom is a common thread in many myths – something that makes me secure in making a presupposition as to why this specific word was chosen by the game's creators to represent wisdom.

One of the herbs represented in the game is called Savyur. The name most likely references the tribe of Savirs, an ancient tribe of people that lived in the the same area in early 500 CE.

I've found a number of other things, some of which having more to do with overarching themes of the game and, therefore, discussing them would be a bit spoilery at this juncture. Still, if there is further interest, I'd be very happy to dig further to try and speculate more on the origins of things.

HellishWhiskers fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Aug 9, 2014

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Aw hell yiss. Been looking forward to this for years, ever since that first post about it I saw in the Sandcastle. Looking forward to seeing the Butcher as not, as of course the one not chosen descends into caricature and you are an able translator, as the poetry of the writing shines through. And that is some interesting research indeed.

And man oh man I missed that rape-grinned fucker. :allears:

And on a helpful note I noted the input errors I saw: in the first update where the three players discuss, a "Will Will" instead of "We Will", Vlad Seniors line "by the visions of an influential lady" is missing a full stop in the second, when the Haruspex writes in 'my mission': "He didn't live this box" instead of leave.

And a request, if you would. Do the Kains say anything to the Servitor these first two days? Is there anything of interest gained from poking ones nose into things unrelated?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

That "fiery wheel" of Oinon reminds me a lot of the mythological depiction of a Christian angel as a many-eyed flaming wheel within a wheel. I wondee if there's a parallel.

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Aw hell yiss. Been looking forward to this for years, ever since that first post about it I saw in the Sandcastle. Looking forward to seeing the Butcher as not, as of course the one not chosen descends into caricature and you are an able translator, as the poetry of the writing shines through. And that is some interesting research indeed.

And man oh man I missed that rape-grinned fucker. :allears:

And on a helpful note I noted the input errors I saw: in the first update where the three players discuss, a "Will Will" instead of "We Will", Vlad Seniors line "by the visions of an influential lady" is missing a full stop in the second, when the Haruspex writes in 'my mission': "He didn't live this box" instead of leave.

And a request, if you would. Do the Kains say anything to the Servitor these first two days? Is there anything of interest gained from poking ones nose into things unrelated?

I fixed the two of the typos mentioned, thank you - I try to proofread stuff as much as I can, but I'm still awful and stuff slips. "Will will", though, isn't one - that's the actual translation a bit of a wordplay on my part - I changed it to "The will will", that's probably more correct.

About Kains, they largely have nothing to say, except for George making a small note about you being very much like your Father. You can't talk to Maria at all, and you obviously can't talk to Khan quite yet. We will have a run-in with a Kain in the next update, though.

chitoryu12 posted:

That "fiery wheel" of Oinon reminds me a lot of the mythological depiction of a Christian angel as a many-eyed flaming wheel within a wheel. I wondee if there's a parallel.

Some Russian Orthodox scholars choose to interpret some of the stories in the Nart Saga as metaphors for Christianity defeating the Pagan beliefs, with the Wheel of Oinon being interpreted as "Wheel of St. Johann", but all the stuff that I've encountered that stated that felt very, very biased and forced. It's not impossible, since the first written mentions of Nart Sagas surface around XII-XIII centuries, but, with the liberties that a lot of Russian Christian scholars take when bending things to fit their narrative, I wouldn't put stock into them.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
"All the blood that has been taken from the earth over the last ten years"?

Is that saying all the children will die? Or is the prophecy more literal than that and somebody's actually been strip-mining the metaphysics? Burakh is a very different figure depending on which holds true.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Glazius posted:

Is that saying all the children will die? Or is the prophecy more literal than that and somebody's actually been strip-mining the metaphysics? Burakh is a very different figure depending on which holds true.

Life on the steppes is complex. Would you care for a glass of Twyrine?

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl

Glazius posted:

"All the blood that has been taken from the earth over the last ten years"?

That woman is very crazy and mean, you should obviously not listen to her at all. Nope.

Also, I've just found that, in addition to that promotional website for the remake Kickstarter, Ice-Pick Lodge put out a delightfully cheesy Live Action Trailer. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7ikBnFfGYU

This trailer, by the way, is essentially a result of guys from Ice-Pick Lodge asking for volunteers, props and advice on locations on Vkontakte, the biggest Russian version of Facebook, so it's, pretty much, a crowdsourced trailer in on itself, which is pretty cool.

From what I found out, there will also be another one coming out soon that will involve various folks reading recorded "testimonials", if you will, about what they liked the most about Pathologic.

HellishWhiskers fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Aug 10, 2014

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.
I am delighted to see this - you are very right, HellishWhiskers, that Pathologic is a game that's more fun to read about than play. It's a stressful, confusing game, and I got to about day five of the Bachelor play through before I dropped it.

I'll be watching with interest, and would love to hear some more theories about where the mythology of the town comes from. "Is the Shabnak-Adyg a real myth?" is absolutely something I thought of, too, when I was playing the game.

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl
Chapter Two – Part 2

Bachelor has expressed interest in the family's recipes. I shouldn't disappoint him. Even if I scarcely remember how to prepare the mixtures, the hands will show the right way. I only need a distiller, and, of course, some tvyr.

It was time to visit Vlad Jr.'s place to see what sort of hideout the Olgimsky family had prepared for him.

Vlad Jr's place stood in the shadow of the station – everything about the place was inconspicuous and felt like a hideout more than a living space. Was Vlad Jr. meeting him here in order to protect himself from Artemiy's reputation, or was he hiding from something himself?

Master Burakh! We've prepared a hideout for you.

That's some good timing on your part...

Whatever you may think, please don't take this gesture as us denying you a place in our house. We will always be happy to have you as a lodger. Both me and my sister have spent a while convincing our father that the Clot should be your one true fortress. Our enemies, however, are powerful. Your best form of protection from them is concealment.

What is the nature of this hideout, exactly?

It is a secret laboratory of your father. Inconspicuous place, but, at least, it's well-hidden from the prying eyes. I don't exactly know what sort of...hmm... activity you're planning to pursue in there, but, if Katherine's prophecy, the contents of which have already become the town's public domain, will come true, even to the slightest degree, then you will require a well-hidden safehouse.

That is exactly the sort of place I need, yes.

Also, Bachelor Dankovsky spoke with me. He seems to be pretty heavily invested in your affairs, nowadays... Regardless, he hinted that you might require an apparatus for preparing herbal mixtures which was used previously by your father. There is one to be found in the safehouse.

That is exactly the same apparatus that was used by my father? Are you sure?

Yes. You, perhaps, recall the miraculous properties that the herb by the name of Tvyr has, don't you? Do you feel the rich smell in the air? That's Tvyr. The herb is entirely rare in on itself, and, with the right touch, you can make some incredible things in that apparatus... Well, you'll figure it all out, I'm sure.

If this is my father's laboratory, then, surely, some people know about this place, right?

I won't hazard a guess, as to whether Isidore brought any of his pupils – or, even, strangers – there or not, but, knowing his personality, I wouldn't worry about it too much. If I had to guess, though, I'd say no – I, myself, have only found out about due to a sheer coincidence. It's very well-hidden.

Very well, show me where it is.

The hideout was located in the southern part of the Factories. Artemiy walked through there yesterday – the place was fairly empty and the only noise in the area came from the factory itself. It wasn't a pleasant spot, and that, perhaps, meant that not too many people would be there. Good.

Artemiy got slightly turned around, having ventured out into the steppe to gather some Tvyr, but, having not found any, he soon returned on track towards the hideout.

This looked like the correct building. Artemiy stepped inside.

Track 3- Burakh's Hideout

Vlad Jr. was already waiting for him inside.

The place is at your disposal. Settle in.

Are you sure that this is the place where my father worked?

Yes. I was only here once, myself. There was nothing here back then, except for the table with all those devices. I can see, that Isidore has spent a lot of time here... Maybe, even some nights.

If it was actually him...

It can't be anybody else.

I hope so. What is that bulky structure, there in the corner?

Actually, that is the distiller that we've talked about. It seems, that, originally, the intended use of this device was different, but your Father has adapted it for something else... That's where the herb turns into an extract.

It doesn't quite look like a laboratory instrument, to me...

He said, and I quote, that Tvyr isn't capricious. A strange statement, in my opinion – I'd say otherwise, myself. I think you'll figure it out – how to mix the juices with ether, how to extract the oil, how take care of this beastly construction. You'll find it all in his diaries.

Indeed, I'll probably figure it out.

Artemiy looked around – there was a rather strange device on the table that he couldn't, quite, make heads or tails of.

What is that device on the table?

I'm not sure, but, I think, that Isidore used it to work with organic materials – with the tissues of animals, for one. He extract the required reagents from them using it, I believe.

How does one use it?

I don't know for sure. Rubin said that an organ, containing the cultures of a microbe, is placed in one slot, while one of the Tvyr mixtures is poured into the other. As a result, you get something that he endearingly called a “bouillon”. There were other devices here – a microscope among them, for one...

Where are they now?

Perhaps, they were taken by his pupils. I've no clue, myself.

Great, now I feel like a rich heir.

There wasn't much to be done about the missing instruments. Artemiy looked around the place and found a couple of blades of Tvyr – luckily, just enough to make his first extract.

The process was not at all difficult, nor time-consuming. Soon enough, he had a working extract.

This was all he needed – time to head back to the Bachelor to show him Artemiy's work.

To get to the Stone Yards, Artemiy cut through the steppe – to meet one of the worms in the swamp and beef up his stock of Tvyr and, perhaps, trade with one of the Worms. Something told Artemiy that he will make a lot of extracts in the coming days. On the way, when the clock struck 3 PM, Artemiy found a new letter in his possessions.

Andrey's Invitation

I was told that you are one of the only odonkhe that were left alive after the day-before-yesterday's slaughter. Come to the den on the embankment. We'll have a chat.

A. St.

Enigmatic, unhelpful and thoroughly unrevealing - what an entirely unusual style for the town's inhabitants.

Artemiy would visit the den, out of simple interest and because he still had some time to kill, but not right now.

This was the path, by which Artemiy came into the town. He wasn't tempted to leave, not quite yet, but the town starting to bear down on him.

This was unusual – Ospina told Artemiy that there were three Worms out in the Steppe in total, one per tent. One of the worms looked relaxed, but the other one was positively brimming with worry. Artemiy approached him.

Ah... Here comes the Servitor, here comes the knower of lines. Do a favour for me, if you would, and I won't be left in debt.

What do you need done?

I am a gatherer and an oinon. My wisdom is known, I know the combinations of herbs. My daughter is a Bride and knows how to summon the herb from the Earth. She does it well – look at the Summer we had! I sold my daughter for a good price, sold her to this Gatherer here.

Having spent quite a bit of time outside of the Steppe, Artemiy wasn't used to the customs of the bride price. He didn't look too kindly upon the custom, either.

What sort of price did you put on your daughter?

He is a hero. He killed the apostates, killed the traitors. Returned to Earth those, who sold my secrets to the outsiders. You see? My daughter didn't return to his house as a wife. She doesn't want to bring him wealth, summon the herb for him.

So? What do you want from me?

There are three young Gatherers left around here. She is with one of them. One is to the right from here, near the Vein. The other one is to the left – near the Throat. If you find her, convince her to submit – I'll be grateful. Will tell you a secret of the herb. If you want, I'll tell you two of them.

What, so she won't listen to you, but she'll listen to me?

You are a Servitor. You know the lines. Tell her, that the line of her fate runs here. Then, she'll listen.

Well... Maybe, I will talk to her...

The Bride of the Gatherers

I recall, that these Tvyr sisters take care of the herbs and, perhaps, help bring a good harvest. They are frequently sold and loaned out – that is considered normal around here. They bring in the profit to their odonkhe. The Swamp Worm asks me to return his Bride to him – it isn't a personal matter, but, purely, a matter of business.

Artemiy would check the tent of the Worm that lives near the graveyard first, but not before giving Dankovsky a sample of the Tvyr mixture.

Artemiy, not without a hint of vanity, was keenly interested in showing the Bachelor that his bloodline's healing ways work. Still, knowing the scientific basis behind their healing properties wouldn't hurt at all.

I've managed to create a sample of one of the mixtures. Take a look. What can we do with this?

Dankovsky's tired eyes lit up and he took the sample to the microscope, not without excited anticipation.

Dankovsky didn't take too long examining the sample. A bad sign, perhaps?

Well?

Just as I thought... A natural reagent. Tomorrow, I'll try to obtain a specimen of the microbe from some dead tissue. When I find it, I'll treat it with this mixture. It's not unlikely that we can use this to cleanse the blood of the infection. If that works, then we should be able to cure even the ones who are gravely ill.

I'll get to making more of these, then.

If only we had a distiller and something to cleanse the dead tissues, then we could try creating various reagents... Sooner or later, we'd find the cure.

Well, that isn't as hard as it looks. Consider that I have all those things already.

For the first time in two days, Artemiy saw Dankovsky brighten up. Not too much, mind you, but just enough.

Do you, now? Well, then get to experimenting, then, Burakh. Research the recipes, create the extracts, treat infected organs with them. You should create something not unlike an antibiotic. Bring the results to me, we'll see what effect they have. Come to me when you have the first result. I, on my part, will look for the dead tissue.

So, these antibiotics will be a sort of a prototype of the panacea? Very well... If I get any good mixes, I'll bring them to you for testing.

So, I have finally came into my father's inheritance. As expected, in it I have found an obligation and the key to fulfilling that obligation. Recipes of the Tvyr mixtures. It seems, that I will have to scour the notes in my inheritance many times over, in the coming days...

While the initial the initial mixtures that Artemiy created were effective in on themselves, he would need help if he were to create the Panacea. Since Bachelor was in charge of looking for the tissue, Artemiy decided to give him a nudge in the right direction.

If you're looking for the dead infected tissue, I can give you a lead. Go to my Father's House. It's located in the Curriers.

Oh? Why there?

I was there before. It's infected.

I'm sorry to hear that... Still, if what you're saying is true, then you have helped me immensely!

I'm glad to be of help, oinon. You're doing good work.

Two minds are better the one, and it looks like these two minds were entirely capable of stopping the infection even before it has started its dire work.

Until Dankovsky obtained the samples of dead tissues that he was looking for, there'd be no new breakthroughs on that front, which meant that Artemiy was free to attend to the less-serious matters. First, he decided to humour this enigmatic “A. St.” figure.

The “Den”, according to the map, was located near the Saburov house, which meant that the route took Artemiy through, largely, the same scenery as earlier in the day.

The front door to the house was barred and only the basement door was open. Artemiy opened the door and stepped inside.

Track 4 – Andrey's Pub

Not quite as seedy as the warehouses, but fairly seedy, all the same. Artemiy sought out the seeming owners of the establishment – a task, that wasn't particularly hard to accomplish.

Ah... I see a formidable fighter before me...

What, are you a soldier or an inquisitor, or something?

No, I'm an architect. At the same time, I'm one of the most dangerous people in this town.

Well now... Here I thought that I the most dangerous fellow in this town was myself.

Want to dispute my supremacy, do you ? Let's start the competition, then.

I can say, without any divination, that you will outdrink me. No need for a competition.

Ha! You're a joker, too. No, these sort of disputes don't get sorted out by vodka. Instead, let's see who can kill the most people in a short period of time. In, let's say, ten days?

Now, in that category, I will outpace you. No need for divination there, either.

I'll bet my ring finger against your eye. Deal?

I'll think about it...

Artemiy couldn't take the man seriously – the fellow looked like an absolute bookworm. He also described himself as an architect, too – a profession that doesn't lend to ferocity. Was it all an elaborate act, and, if so, why?

Well, actually – forget about it. Me and my brother – we're leaving this damned place behind us. All the property will be given away, drat it all to hell! Hell, I can give it all to you right now – the moment is fitting, after all. Have you noticed how all the prices have skyrocketed? A ripe time for profiteering if there ever was... If you have the starting capital, you can be a millionaire by the evening.

If the plan is so foolproof, you could execute yourself, you know...

Oh, I don't need it. I am a rolling stone. I only have to grab my brother, and the Devil can sort out the rest. We'll be alright, that's for sure.

So – the property... Are you really going to give it away?

Well, I have money. A lot of money. Four thousand, to be precise. I only want a trifle for the. I need some brown Tvyr. Ten bushels of it, nothing less. Straight, clean ones. No rot, no colour. If you can, get me the named ones, but that isn't necessary. The Brown one will come straight to you, anyway. You're a menkhu, after all. Deal?

If you're so rich, why can't you buy it from someone else?

Well, I had a bit of a tiff with the Worms recently. All my plotting got uncovered and... well, in the end, they started butchering each other for selling the tribal secrets. Now, they don't trust me.

At first, the fellow amused him. Now, Artemiy really wanted to take him up on his bet – and start with him.

Why should I care, exactly?

What, you didn't get me? With my capital, you can buy a lot of goods and sell them for three times the price... in one of the stores. One of my contacts tipped me off.

Which one?

Like I'm going to tell you that easily... Don't worry, my source is a reliable one. Besides, Victor won't let me down. Everything is straightened out with Kains... not that they would care about speculative trading right now.

The man, rather unceremoniously, shoved a shot glass of liquid in Artemiy's hand. It looked smokey, unclear – something not unlike absinthe, but with a brown texture. It smelled vaguely like the mixture that was the result of distillation of the Tvyr herbs. Was this the reason why the man wanted the secrets of the Tvyr so desperately?

Do you agree? Come on, raise your glass! Well?

Artemiy's dislike for the man was intense, but, times being what they are, he could really use the money.

So, you want ten bushels of brown Tvyr? Very well. I'll come back later, in the evening.

Artemiy downed the glass. The drink tasted like a mixture of bitter spice and ash. It was, without question, not Artemiy's cup of tea. Still, it could be useful for the creation of the Panacea. Artemiy raised the bottle and looked at the clearly bootlegged labeling.

Interesting, very interesting. Artemiy put the now empty bottle in his pocket. Before leaving, Artemiy spoke with the quieter man, who seemed to be the belligerent fellow's brother.

Me and my brother, we don't see each other too often in the last couple of weeks... We live right next to each other, too – it seems, I can outstretch my hand, and there he is, right next to me... I think, he's right – it's time to leave...

The two of you – are you from the capital?

Yeah... You know, when they invited us here – about ten years ago, it was – nobody in the capital knew about tvyrin. I came here for tvyrin, you know. Gather as much as you can for us, herbalist!

Why don't the two of you gather it yourselves?

You're joking, right? The herb won't surrender itself to us. That's a fact, proven many times over. It hides from strangers. Myself, I thought that was a myth, at first, but, nope... Well, why am I explaining it to you, anyway?

Well, you're right, there.

Talking with the Architect's brother had a soothing effect on Artemiy. He was sure that, together, the two of them have a balancing effect on each other. Knowing that, he didn't feel as bad working for the Architect, as he previously did.

The Brown Tvyr

The Architect from the den wants to receive ten bushels of brown tvyr.

Succinct, and to the point. Artemiy headed to the Worm, whom he has visited yesterday, to trade for the tvyr that he would give to the Architect.

It seems, that the Worm wasn't alone.

I know your smell. You smell like the autumn soil, and like the smell of the burning leaves.

And you smell like milk. I've come to speak with you, Bride.

My father sent you! I know, he is the one who sent you. Don't separate me from my beloved – tell him that you haven't found me. I'll enrich you with many herbs for his, lots of different ones. I can summon them, you know.

Do you know how to make the mixtures, though?

No... Father knows, but he doesn't know much, and only the simplest of mixtures. He won't reveal them to you, anyway. Don't wait on him to share his knowledge.

Serving The Order didn't mean going along mindlessly with its ways... Perhaps, in challenging the path of the Order, he would serve them better, than upholding them. Artemiy has seen much slaughter done by the members of the Order in the name of jealously protecting the gifts the Earth has bestowed upon them. It was time to start breaking the tradition, and Artemiy was about to dislodge the first brick.

Very well, you can stay.

She grinned at him and left. While Artemiy was working out the arrangements of the trade with the Worm, she came back with a lot of valuable, rare herbs.

The Bride of the Gatherers

They say, that the Odonkhe take part in the maelstrom of blood and juices between the Earth and its children. They don't belong to themselves, just like their brides. However, the Earth is wiser than the people, and the Brides hear Its will better than the odongs. If she left, that means that the Earth wills it.

With the herbs in tow, Artemiy headed back to the den.

The day was coming to a close - it was going to get dark soon.

Artemiy descended the stairs once more, and entered.

It seems, that someone was expecting him.

Ah, it seems that you are not from here, man of the Order. I haven't seen you in these parts before...

I think you have. Perhaps, you don't remember me?

No matter. I see that you're going to the architects. Are you the fellow, whom they asked to gather herbs for the road?

Indeed, I am.

Are you an odong? How did you escape the carnage? All of you, it seems, have been killed off three days ago, and the rest were sealed in the Apiary.

I'm not an odong, I'm a menkhu.

Shhh! Be quiet... Listen to me, olghoi! Architects are preparing to leave our city. I want them to stay. Tell Andrey, that you've managed to uncover the secrets recipes of the deceased Isidore... Right now, everyone is hunting after those secrets – they say, that Saburov has confiscated his inheritance.

You know, that they can see us whispering, right?

The woman was too consumed, by what she clearly believed to be a masterful scheme, to pay attention to Artemiy's comment.

If Andrey demands proof, then I'll give you one of the recipes. It costs a fortune, but I'm ready to make that sacrifice for this scheme. And, of course, any profit that you stood to make, I will compensate. I come from a rich family – you ought to know. Well, do you agree?

The recipe was a bit more important to Artemiy than money, for it could mean being one step closer to the Panacea. With this in mind, Artemiy decided to play along with the woman's flamboyant scheming.

Very well, I'll try.

Plain as the nose on one's face

Is it possible that they won't leave this town just because of a herb? Unlikely, but I can try...

Well, Steppe fellow, shall we flex our proverbial muscles?

Why are you so sure of yourself, Architect?

Why? Because I have the will to kill in me. It is easy for me to deprive a living being of its life. Living beings can feel that, and the fear paralyzes them, allowing me to make the first strike.

It isn't enough to have the will – one has to know how to do it, too.

If one has the will, then it won't take them too long to find the fork in their hand. Besides, I know where to stab with it. That's a skill I have – an artistic one, you might say...

Really now? You won't kill a bull with a fork.

Well, that depends on the bull. I might not kill him, but I will make him serve me, that's for true.

You don't seem to know a whole lot about bulls...

I'm telling you all this, Steppe-fellow, so that you know what you can expect of me. Some day, this might be useful to you.

We'll see. By the way, builder - I have some news for you, regarding the recipes.

I'm not a builder, I'm an architect. Old recipes or new recipes?

New recipes. I found some in the father's inheritance.

And? You mean to tell me that you'll be making new batches of tvyrin?

Very likely, yes.

Well, now – one can stay a bit more for news like these. For now, let's see what you manage to make.

Oh, I'll manage something. Will you like it? Now, that is an entirely different matter.

The Brown Tvyr

The offer of the Noblewoman was more attractive. Perhaps, that means that I will talk with these two more in the future?

Well, it seems that Andrey is staying. Still, this entire affair is as plain as the nose on one's face...

It was time to grace the noblewoman with pleasure of a scheme well executed, however silly and transparent it may have actually been.

The Architects are staying.

You are wise, olghoi. Here is the money that was promised to you, and the recipe that Isidore Burakh prepared for Simon. That was before he left for the Steppe. Why are you looking at me like that? Do you even know who Isidore Burakh was? This recipe is worth five years of your life, olghoi!

Artemiy did not have any desire to explain who he was, or just why did he look as angry as he did, when he took the payment, the recipe and left this godforsaken den behind him. At least, the Tvyr he procured could be put to better use in the mixtures.

Why did she need an intermediary, anyway? Perhaps, the entire trick rested on the fact that it was me, a menkhu, one of the Order?

This was an episode full of vanity, powerless anger and stupidity. It was also an episode that Artemiy couldn't wait to put behind him. With the toils of the day done, it was time to head to the safehouse.

With the dusk of the day, the rain started, once more.

Safe and warm inside, Artemy suddenly felt the fatigue inflicted upon by this day's work. Before the would continue his experiments with the Tvyr mixtures, he would rest. He has earned it.

HellishWhiskers fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Aug 30, 2014

Brass Monkey
Sep 27, 2005

This Compsognathus model at the Oxford University Museum of Natural History shows the animal's narrow skull and long, tapered snout.
Oh, really nice choice of character. This was the first scenario I played through back when I first picked up Pathologic and I was confused as hell for most of it. The in-game english translation didn't help either. You've done a very good job with your translation. The tone is just right, but it's a lot more readable and fluid this way.

RBA Starblade posted:

The Bachelor LP of the game was never archived right? Just the Impostress? Speaking of which, rereading it again that intro actually gives away a good bit of the game if you know what's coming.

Unfortunately, while doing the Bachelor LP I had problems with both my hard drive and my image host so pretty much all the important parts were lost completely. I've been asked a few times since then to put up the Bachelor scenario on the LP archive site but I would have to replay the whole scenario from scratch and I don't personally have the energy for that. Sorry!

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl
http://www.feverishfeeling.com/en/ has sent out a new e-mail today, and, with it, one can figure out the password for the secret section. There isn't much there, but it's still neat. Also, I believe that a thing in the email implies that the character, who's writing these emails, is Bachelor's daughter, because Bachelor is the only guy in the game who just won't stop haphazardly inserting Latin phrases into his speech like it's going out of style. Also, I can swear that I remember Bachelor saying the phrase, mentioned in the e-mail, but I don't recall where. Freaky.

HellishWhiskers fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Aug 11, 2014

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

HellishWhiskers posted:

http://www.feverishfeeling.com/en/ has sent out a new e-mail today, and, with it, one can figure out the password for the secret section. There isn't much there, but it's still neat. Also, I believe that a thing in the email implies that the character, who's writing these emails, is Bachelor's daughter, because Bachelor is the only guy in the game who just won't stop haphazardly inserting Latin phrases into his speech like it's going out of style. Also, I can swear that I remember Bachelor saying the phrase, mentioned in the e-mail, but I don't recall where. Freaky.

What's the password? The stuff I'd assume isn't working.

e: Nevermind I got it. The source says that's the "first" secret photo.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Aug 11, 2014

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Is the hint in the first email she sends, or there are more following? I've only received the one and you seem to be talking about a second one.

VVVV

Thanks, it worked. It's also a hint about how to reach the secret. Nice.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Aug 11, 2014

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl

Fat Samurai posted:

Is the hint in the first email she sends, or there are more following? I've only received the one and you seem to be talking about a second one.

In case it won't send you the second one, I've put it up on pastebin.

http://pastebin.com/RMcLFv37

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl
I've had a thought, but I'm wondering if I should go with it. I've been thinking about occasionally - about once a week, maybe - putting out an update from Bachelor's scenario. Would that be an okay idea, or is that dumb and I should just finish Haruspex's scenario and go from there? I'm not sure myself, this is my first LP ever, I'm still getting the hang of the process. It's not that I wouldn't be able to handle the amount of work, but, it's more that it could be more chaotic than would preferred otherwise

Also, the description of the bottle of Tvyrinum is the only place in the game that I've seen, where you are given Tvyr's scientific name. It's slightly important.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

By the way, considering they refer to Bachelor as his title, I assume it means the Bachelor is an educated man, not just that he's unmarried?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Night10194 posted:

By the way, considering they refer to Bachelor as his title, I assume it means the Bachelor is an educated man, not just that he's unmarried?

He is a doctor and scientist from the big city, yes.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Archenteron posted:

He is a doctor and scientist from the big city, yes.

Not just a scientist. A Man of Science. He believes in Science. But don't think that makes him a dreary rationalist with no ambitions, no. He dreams of a better world. He dreams that with the secrets this town holds, he could one day Conquer Death Itself.

He is, in other words, a educated fool, and all the more foolish for his education.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ratoslov posted:

Not just a scientist. A Man of Science. He believes in Science. But don't think that makes him a dreary rationalist with no ambitions, no. He dreams of a better world. He dreams that with the secrets this town holds, he could one day Conquer Death Itself.

He is, in other words, a educated fool, and all the more foolish for his education.

Yeah, he was the first guy I played as. I don't know enough about the story to even try and spoil anything, but the basic plot of the Bachelor's story is that he was asked to come to the town by Isidore to research Simon Kain, an unusually long-lived man who may have held the key to immortality. He thinks science can cure all of humanity's ills and lead them to near-godhood.

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.

Night10194 posted:

In most places that are not North America, the degree 'Bachelor of medicine' is the degree you get in order to be qualified to take the exam that lets you be a doctor, kind of like how you have to get a law degree and then take a bar exam.

It is worth mentioning that it is the lowest of such degrees (Being followed by 'Master of medicine' and 'Doctor of medicine'). I recall he actually came to this town in a 'I'll show that stupid Master's committee, my theories are so right, humans can live to be 300 years old' kind of way. He does want to improve the world, but he's also kind of painted as being a little petty.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Black Wombat posted:

In most places that are not North America, the degree 'Bachelor of medicine' is the degree you get in order to be qualified to take the exam that lets you be a doctor, kind of like how you have to get a law degree and then take a bar exam.

It is worth mentioning that it is the lowest of such degrees (Being followed by 'Master of medicine' and 'Doctor of medicine'). I recall he actually came to this town in a 'I'll show that stupid Master's committee, my theories are so right, humans can live to be 300 years old' kind of way. He does want to improve the world, but he's also kind of painted as being a little petty.

Ah, the good old tradition of Fools, I'll Show Them All! Universal in academia.

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl

Night10194 posted:

Ah, the good old tradition of Fools, I'll Show Them All! Universal in academia.

Not only that, but he is also working on his own field - Thanatica, as he calls it - in an attempt to figure out the ways to fight death! The fellow has ambition, but, as the Bachelor's intro tells the player, he's on his last leg because everybody else is laughing at him and wants to kick him out and Simon is his last hope.

HellishWhiskers fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Aug 12, 2014

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

HellishWhiskers posted:

I've had a thought, but I'm wondering if I should go with it. I've been thinking about occasionally - about once a week, maybe - putting out an update from Bachelor's scenario. Would that be an okay idea, or is that dumb and I should just finish Haruspex's scenario and go from there? I'm not sure myself, this is my first LP ever, I'm still getting the hang of the process. It's not that I wouldn't be able to handle the amount of work, but, it's more that it could be more chaotic than would preferred otherwise

That's a terrible idea. There's a reason Phoenix Wright and Pathologic LPs usually don't finish and it's because they're a lot of work due to the absolutely massive amounts of text. No need to make it harder on yourself. :v:

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Your talk about the Bachelor just made me realize: The Bachelor isn't merely a doctor. He's the Capital M.D. Doctor. The Devotress/Impostress is also a sort of doctor, the faith healer. And the Haruspex is the surgeon. And historically speaking, surgeons did double duty as barbers and have been less respected than straight-up Capital-D Doctors. No wonder the Haruspex seems so rough and tumble compared to the Bachelor.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Davin Valkri posted:

Your talk about the Bachelor just made me realize: The Bachelor isn't merely a doctor. He's the Capital M.D. Doctor. The Devotress/Impostress is also a sort of doctor, the faith healer. And the Haruspex is the surgeon. And historically speaking, surgeons did double duty as barbers and have been less respected than straight-up Capital-D Doctors. No wonder the Haruspex seems so rough and tumble compared to the Bachelor.
It's a game about a plague-ridden city and its ill residents. It's only fitting that the three protagonists are all seekers of the cure.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
They also each represent a scale between science and magic; Dankovsky is all about the sceince, Burakh is a mix of science and magic, while Klara is straight up supernatural.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Accordion Man posted:

They also each represent a scale between science and magic; Dankovsky is all about the sceince, Burakh is a mix of science and magic, while Klara is straight up supernatural.

And yet the Bachelor is the one who talks about immortality, while the Devotress talks about the necessity of sacrifice in the introductory play...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brass Monkey
Sep 27, 2005

This Compsognathus model at the Oxford University Museum of Natural History shows the animal's narrow skull and long, tapered snout.

HellishWhiskers posted:

My suggestion is that you focus on the Haruspex first. When you are done with this, you can consider if you want to do another run afterward.

• Locked thread