Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Davin Valkri posted:

And yet the Bachelor is the one who talks about immortality, while the Devotress talks about the necessity of sacrifice in the introductory play...

Frankentein also talked about inmortality. Being a man of science doesn't mean that he isn't trying to push the boundaries of what is possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.

Fat Samurai posted:

Frankentein also talked about inmortality. Being a man of science doesn't mean that he isn't trying to push the boundaries of what is possible.

From what I've read about a lot of magical healing traditions, they very firmly understand that nature is a cruel tyrant and that often the best that can be done is temporarily appeasing her and warding off the horrors of illness and infirmity temporarily. It takes SCIENCE to think of a future where people don't have to die anymore.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Ratoslov posted:

Not just a scientist. A Man of Science. He believes in Science. But don't think that makes him a dreary rationalist with no ambitions, no. He dreams of a better world. He dreams that with the secrets this town holds, he could one day Conquer Death Itself.

He is, in other words, a educated fool, and all the more foolish for his education.

In this game, he's euphoric.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Don't you already have all the text translated in a txt file? Or was that some other guy?

But yea, setting yourself up for more work now is ehh. If, at the end of this journey you feel like revisiting the Bachelor, that would be fine for those that missed it the first time around. But it is always best to focus on the job at hand rather than possibilities, no?

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl
Chapter Three - Part 1

Artemiy woke up a little after 1 A.M. On the chest, in which Artemiy kept his stocks of Tvyr and an assortment of other various things, was a letter.

Panacea

Well, if the only way to fulfill your obligation is to save the life of the enigmatic patient, then, considering the imminent danger, you should immediately begin working on the panacea.

Do not doubt, that the Authorities will provide both you, and those who tread the same path as you do, all possible measures of help. To help you achieve this goal, it is worth it to risk it all.

With such a weapon in your hands, you will soon be the only person, on whom the salvation of the doomed will depend.

One can gain much in such a position, won't you agree?

Always at your service,

Your Well-Wishers.

These so-called Well-Wishers did not seem to have a good grasp on what sort of a person Artemiy is, or they wouldn't have proposed such things. The disconnect was clear, and Artemiy doubted that these so-called Authorities would help him in any palpable manner.

He continued his work. For several hours, he scoured his father's notes, not finding any information that wasn't known or tangential. Almost ready to leave, Artemiy stumbled on a torn page from his Father's diary.

Diaries of Isidore Burakh. A Note on the Last Obligation, pg.133

Life is nearing its end. She will be upon me, any minute now.

I have sworn, whatever the cost, to save the lives of the following:

Olgimsky's Daughter, she will inherit the earth.
Kaspar Kain – certainly...(malice.)
The girl from the wagon (does she know when?)
The sneaky kid with freckles (black.)
Leader of the Dualsouls – (l, Artist?)
Daughter of the Gravekeeper

Who else?
[U], of course, whose tauro is in the box. That is the most important thing.

That is my obligation.

I should write another letter to my son. Did none of the other three reach him?

I should also talk with Simon. He has heard it. The Long Talgur does not consist just of the Adherents.

Not a shred of concrete information. Like everybody else in this town, Isidore had a penchant for cryptic hints. At least, Artemiy knew that his Father had actual wisdom to back these hints up with.

It was a new night and that, as Artemiy knew, meant that the Masks were preparing a new pantomime.

Artemiy entered the theater. He was welcomed by two voices, who were in the midst of a discussion.

The rulers had to admit, that everything has gone awry – the horrific discoveries have convinced them. One of them has managed to put an end to these feudal feuds.

That isn't good. The Commandant will abuse his powers, and the rest won't forgive him for it. For now, everything is the same as it ever was.

A quarantine has been declared. From now on, the infected districts will be sealed off, and no one will leave the town, until the situation isn't fixed.

No, it won't be fixed – they won't figure it out...

REEL 4: Masks' Nightly Production – Night Two

There wasn't much left to do on the streets for Artemiy. He was about to head back to his safehouse, when he found a letter in his effects. It was quite early for one, too early. It wasn't quite 6 A.M. yet

Kapella's Letter

Please come to my house! I'm afraid, that something awful might happen... We aren't allowed out of the house, either, so I can't do anything to help.

V.O. jr.

Not knowing how urgent the matter was, Artemiy hurried to the Clot.

Track 5 – Knotts Night

My head was spinning again, it was a whirlpool. I felt, that Notkin was in danger. Have you met him, yet? He lives in the warehouses, they have a Castle there.

Whirlpool? What do you mean?

Well, that's what me and Maria call our vision. She calls hers “flights”, while I call mine “whirlpools”. It's odd, because mine are usually happy, while hers are malevolent. At least, that is how I see them. Are you going to check if there's anything wrong with Notkin?

Alright... I will.

Artemiy grew to trust this girl's visions, however she might have called them. Notkin has helped him before, and, besides, Artemiy has taken on his Father's obligation to protect the boy.

Kapella's Worries

The Daughter of Vlad Sr. worries about her friends. She does call them Adherents, though, which is a bit strange. Right now, her sixth sense tells her, that something bad has happened to Notkin, the leader of Dualsouls. It's worth looking into it.

It was still fairly early, and that meant, that the roads were still dangerous.

The bandit thought that he had found an easy prey, but, in the end, the poor fellow made the scoundrel pay.

On approach to Notkin's warehouse, it became clear that the Dualsouls had unwelcome guests.

The hell are you here for, you mongrel?

What are you doing here, good folk?

Oh, we are the bad folk! Right now, we're going to stab ourselves some snotty punks. They've been getting awful rowdy lately. Did Griff send you?

Oh, so you're one of Griff's folks?

You know, you better get the hell out of here before we scalp you!

Fine, fine – I'm going.

Artemiy could very well just kill these thugs right now, but it didn't look like they were going anywhere quite yet, and killing them would only remove the symptom, and not the cause. It was time to visit Griff and persuade him to lay off the Dualsouls.

He still remembered the way to Griff's warehouse, even amid these mazes.

The state of affairs inside was entirely the same as it was two days ago. Artemiy was about to start the conversation with Griff, when the clock struck 7 A.M.

Day Three, during which, Haruspex, with a great risk to his life, uncovers the mysteries of the primordial alphabet of the Steppe folk.

Knowing these things, it was all the more pressing for Artemiy to continue his work towards panacea.

My folks are all riled up... I hear the whispers... It's only a matter of time, before there is a schism.

A schism, you say? Well, I'm sure you'll figure it out. Tell me, did you order some of your thugs to gut those boys?

What am I, a monster? I don't kill children, even if they are as troublesome those scoundrels are... No, I only ordered my boys to take away the kids' dogs, the mongrels that they are... The Dualsouls are getting out of hand...

Well, maybe you aren't a monster yourself, but the thugs you've sent seem to be a little too knife-happy, if you ask me.

Maybe, they only want to scare them...

Maybe, maybe not, Griff. You know, you should just order those thugs to leave. You know, with what's happening right now, there are bigger things happening than these kids, and the rats are a bit more dangerous than dogs right now.

Okay, I can do that. I've got a favour to ask of you, though. This big-wig, Bachelor, is too proud to come visit us. Tell him to come here, I have a very lucrative offer for him.

He'll ask what you want, you know...

Just tell him it's very lucrative. No one here will lay their hands on him, don't worry. We don't poo poo where we eat. You believe me, right?

Artemiy didn't, but, if this was what it would take to sort this situation out, he would do it. He wouldn't lie to Bachelor on Griff's behalf, though.

… Alright. I'll have him come over.

Kapella's Worries

Griff has agreed to leave the Dualsouls alone if I lead the Bachelor Dankovsky to him. I wonder, will the Bachelor swallow his pride to save these kids?

Perhaps, Artemiy wasn't as charitable to Dankovsky as he could've been, but he could be forgiven, for Artemiy genuinely did not know whether Bachelor would help him or not.

Artemiy was on the same road that he has treaded many times over in the last two days, when another letter found its way into his pocket.

Vlad Olgimsky Sr.'s invitation

I have, by accident, found out about your difficulties, regarding an enigmatic subject, marked by an ancient sign. You found it in Isidore's inheritance, right? Perhaps, we have things to discuss. Come over to the Clot.

Always at your service,

Olgimsky.

The Clot was closer to where Artemiy currently was, so he decided to visit Olgimsky first.

It was always so quiet in the Clot, but, then, it was always very quiet in all of Adherents' houses. As if, the time stood still, even if it hasn't.

Vlad Sr., however, seemed particularly dour today. His fingers twitched a little bit more than usual, too.

Esteemed Master Burakh. Or, if one is to be more precise, - oinon Burakh. They will start calling you as such, soon – you are, after all, the carrier of knowledge. Servitor, menkhu, a chirurgeon, so to speak. Even more than that, perhaps. Have you been looking into your inheritance?

I have, of course. It is the most important thing right now...

There was a Tauro in there, correct? And notes, in which, a secret name is marked with this sign, right?

Yes. How do you know all this?

My daughter told me about these... doomed children, who were cared for... by the deceased. Besides, I don't see any reason to hide the truth from you. Tauro, with which this... ahem... subject was marked, is related to the secret script, used by the Steppe folk. Do you know of the “long circles of Tauro?”

No...

Well... You haven't been here in a while, indeed... You have left as a youth, though, so it all stands to reason. The long circles of Tauro are akin to an alphabet, of sorts. Signs, which were used to mark the bulls. Every single Tauro has many meanings. Every sign is a song - a whole magical history within its lines. A spell.

I think I understand...

I cannot read this secret writing, myself. Only those of the Order know it. Perhaps, one of the worms-odonkhe, or one of the butchers, may help. This is a little embarrassing, for, I must admit, that I am the person who is currently stopping you from solving this mystery. I have sealed all of the Order in the Apiary.

I have heard about that – why?

Well, you must understand... An epidemic is afoot. Quarantine. No one is allowed to break it. There are almost eight thousand souls in there. What will happen, if the infection gets in?

What if it's already inside?

An expression of angry irritation flashed across Big Vlad's face.

The esteemed Bachelor Dankovsky has already managed to tire me with these incessant questions. If it's already in there, then it's even more certain that we cannot open it. Surely, you understand. Enough about this. I want to help you - you do want to find out the meaning of this tauro, right?

Yes

A number of the butchers managed to escape from the Apiary, before the blockade was up. I'm offering you a deal. I've already told you, that they may be useful to you. You will be looking for them, regardless. When you find them, tell me where they are hiding. If you agree, I'll tell you where to start. Do you agree?

I will not be a traitor to my people.

I won't kill them, believe me, but I have to be able to monitor them. Don't you understand? Can't you see what is happening? All the carriers must be isolated! Besides, remember your obligation!

Artemiy's partnership with Olgimsky, if it could ever have been called that, was growing tumultuous. Still, he didn't have any leads, so there wasn't much choice for Artemiy but to agree. Besides, it's not like he couldn't renege on the deal.

Very well, you have convinced me...

There's a den... I've already sent some people there – the reception they received was a cold one. Regardless, there's a personage who lives there. She is, usually, very well informed. She knows the dealings of the butchers, and their ways. They say, an odong left her for a Tvyr Bride... Well, start with her – she will help you.

Vlad seemed knowledgeable about the ways of the Gatherers. Artemiy decided to probe out the extent of his knowledge.

A Tvyr Bride?

That is the line of the Gatherers. They have these virgins there, the Tvyr Brides. I think, they summon the herbs out of the Earth. You should be aware this, shouldn't you? They know of you, that is for sure. They were present during your birth – as midwives.

Were they, now?

Of course... Son of Isidore Burakh - now, the eldest Burakh. It means quite a bit for them, that you are of the line of Menkhu. Menkhu aren't just butchers or chirurgeons, you know. They are healers. The role is almost sacred, religious even. In any case, that person will want to help you.

Very well... This seems enough for me to go on. Show me where she lives.

Well! This is interesting – the house that Vlad Sr. pointed out on the map belonged to Ospina. She will help him, indeed, but Artemiy did not want to betray her trust quite yet. She could be fairly useful in the future. With this in mind, he decided to postpone the conversation with her for a bit and visit the Bachelor first.

Tauro

In order to find out the truth of my inheritance, I have to visit Ospina – this time, as a traitor. However, I believe that she is wise and harbors only good will towards me. Perhaps, I should trust her?

The streets of the town have started blurring together into one big golden canvas. Artemiy was getting to know them like the back of his hand, yet staying in this town felt, more and more, like drowning in Amber.

At first, I was happy that this wasn't an actual plague...

Ah – does that mean, that you have started researching this disease?

Indeed. In fact, you can help me quite a bit with this process. Tell me – is it true, that, in this society, only certain people have the, shall I say, moral right to use medical instruments on the bodies of other people – even the dead ones?

That is correct. Menkhu – the butchers and servitors – have this right, not that it is a moral one.

If it isn't a moral right, then what sort of right is it? Besides, people aren't too shy to stab each other with knives around here, either, not to mention the fact, that, people who seem to look like educated members of the contemporary society, are barring me – a certified doctor – from dissecting corpses!

The frustration was piling for a couple of days, now, and Bachelor was letting it vent on whom he clearly perceived as the embodiment of the town's backwards ways. Artemiy wasn't bothered, the man's frustration was entirely understandable.

It is an ancient tradition, its roots found in religion. Or, to be more precise, in mythology.

Fine! Whatever! I don't practice the local religion! I'm saving this town from the epidemic! Or, I should say, I'm trying to save this town from the epidemic, while the several thousands of its denizens are actively preventing me from doing so!

You aren't being allowed to dissect the dead, yes?

Yes. I already need the dead tissue of someone, who died of the Sand Fever. I've tried to obtain it at the cemetery, but the guards there chased me away.

You want me to obtain it for you?

I won't spare any reward if you do.

You got it. I'll do what I can, even if I, myself, still don't have the full right to do it, myself.

Why? Aren't you from the family of... drat it, I forget the name. Wasn't your father a surgeon?

Not many people around here know me yet. Don't worry, though – I gave you my word. I'll do it.

Dead tissue

The Bachelor needs the tissues of an infected person. If anything else, blood will work just fine, as well.

Now, with the source of the frustration abated, Artemiy could get to the reasons why he came, in the first place.

I wanted to ask you about something, oinon. This matter is important to me – very important. I'm talking about the panacea

What, exactly, are you talking about? An antiserum?

Yes. Tell me, how does one extract the antibodies from the tissue?

First of all, they have to be there in the first place. After that, there are many methods of doing so. Antiserum, after all, is only cleansed blood. As far as I can see it, you can simply mix the material with these... natural reagents that you Burakhs have. For now, find the suitable material. After that, you can start experimenting.

Thank you. Perhaps, this way, we'll find a panacea, eventually.

I think it might work, yes. I've heard that your Father was self-taught, too. In any case, what was it that you wanted to ask me about the antiserum?

When you will be examining the dead tissue, tell me if you find any antibodies in there.

Of course, I'll tell you if I do find them. However, I must say, that I don't believe that the human body has the capacity to resist this taint – at the very least, based on what I've observed.

Well, you say that, but my father's experience would beg to differ...

That is my hope, yes. In any case, you will be the first to hear about the results of my research. I should have the first results tomorrow morning.

Thank you. Before you go, I have one more favour to ask of you. Griff wants to see you.

Griff? Who is that?

He is the leader of the thieves.

Oh, that scumbag. What does he want from me?

He said , that he has a lucrative offer for you.

No, I see no reason to see those scoundrels. It's enough, that Rubin works with them.

I'll be honest with you, oinon. In exchange for your promise to see them, they've agreed to leave a gang of children alone.

Are their lives in danger?

I believe so, yes.

Very well, I'll come.

Thank you, oinon.

For all his disdain for the local ways, the Bachelor was, very clearly, an honest and honourable man, who has, with this act, earned Artemiy's long-lasting respect.

Kapella's Worries

The visit will occur – Bachelor Dankovsky made a promise. I think, that he is one of those people, who always keep their word. I can return to Griff.

Artemiy didn't believe that he was sending the Bachelor into any serious danger. Griff might be wily, but he is still a coward, and the rest of the town's powers wouldn't forgive him an assault on Dankovsky quite yet.

There were less people in the Warehouse, than before. A bad sign?

The Bachelor will come. He gave his word.

Will he keep it?

I've seen his eyes. The like of him keep their word.

Good. I'll send a messenger to my guys, so that they don't get too naughty. Or, perhaps, you should go yourself – I don't have any free hands, right now. If they act up, just tell them the code phrase - “Khagat on Pokhodi”

What sort of gibberish is that? What does it mean?

What it means is between us, thieves. Don't think too hard about it – they'll listen.

I hope so.

Kapella's Worries

Griff will call off his thugs. I can go see Notkin and check on him, in the meantime.

Dealing with thugs wasn't pleasant, and Artemiy hoped that he will soon be done dealing with them.

Ah, here you are, you meat-sack. Griff told us that you're working with us, right?

Working with you? Pfft. Leave – Griff's orders.

Leave? The gently caress are you talking about?

“Khagat on Pokhodi”, got it? Now, get out!

We'll see you again, you punk.

Oh, I hope so.

Killing this chump would've been public service, but Artemiy didn't want to shatter the agreement that he made with Griff. Besides, the town in small enough, and Artemiy was sure that they'd see each other again, one night or another.

The kids inside looked defiant. It seems, they've taken Artemiy for one of the thugs.

How did you get through? Hold it! Are you with them?

Don't worry, I won't hurt you kids.

We aren't kids! We're Dualsouls! Here, there are more than enough of us to take you on. Besides, you take any of us and multiply it by two – we fight with our friends. We are a real power.

It doesn't look like those guys in front of the entrance were afraid of you, though.

Where are they, by the way? Why did they let you through?

It's alright, they're gone.

Gone? Well, we're going to have to thank you for that!

Well, that won't hurt.

Take this gun. It's homemade – my granddad said, that this was a hunting rifle, at some point – the trigger was also replaced. You can use buckshot or slugs for it. Do you know where to get those?

Do tell...

They're very rare around here. You can find them here, or there – not a whole lot. We told our girls to look for them, wherever they can. You can ask them, you know. They might trade you for some girly things. You know – rings, bracelets, that sort of junk.

Thank you.

Kapella's Worries

Notkin won't be have to worry about his warehouse for some time. I think I've earned the young Lady Olgimsky's thanks.

Artemiy turned to leave, but Notkin called him over.

Weird times, you know! An epidemic! I hope our scouts return soon...

Scouts? What are you plotting again, Notkin?

Plotting? Well, maybe... You want to help?

Depends on what you're plotting.

It's a good thing. My Dualsouls are always lurking around, getting everywhere they can get into. They're spying after the enemy Dogheads, catching Souls and are usually faffing around here and there. I've decided to put them to good use. Even Matchstick will be jealous.

Good use? What sort of good use?

We'll be checking which houses are infected. Every morning, we'll be making a new map. Can you imagine? If we do it well enough, then the Bachelor will pay good money for it.

Interesting... Are you going to show it to me?

If you want, we'll even make a copy for you. You'll have to do us a favour, though.

What favour?

Your father knew the recipes of some great tvyr mixtures. When the First Outbreak happened, he even wrote some of the down. I've heard, that they can protect you from the Sand Fever. Will you make us some?

How many do you need?

I think that ten mixtures should be enough. If you make them, then the map is yours. Don't think, that I am greedy, or anything – I'll give the mixtures to our scouts.

Sounds good, I'll do it.

Famous Burakh recipes

It seems, that Notkin is planning a dangerous scouting mission. He agreed to share the results for ten immunoboosting mixtures. I need to gather enough herbs and make the mixtures in the distiller. The faith in the Burakh knowledge seems to be strong around here...

Making this amount of mixtures would require going back to the hideout and stocking up on Tvyr. Artemiy would return later with the requested mixtures. For now, Artemiy will go to Kapella and inform her that she can stop worrying, for now.

Once again, Kapella's visions have proven true. She was proving to be a reliable ally in Artemiy's struggle. From this day, he will listen to everything she has to say, without exception.

You are having a hard time, right?

I am... Still, your friend is safe.

What trouble did he get himself into?

He got into a bit of a fight with the bandits.

Because of the Souls, right? I think I've heard of that. Griff was demanding that they get rid of the dogs. Were they protecting their pets?

Yes, I believe so.

Good on them! Don't think, that Notkin would be feuding with the thieves for no reason...

How come they've settled on the thieves' turf, anyway?

He got into a fight with another boy. With Khan. He is a brave one, too – and a true leader. They were best friends, before all this. Nowadays, Khan rules in the Polyhedron and the proud Notkin rules in his hideout, surviving among the bandits... It's a long story. How can I thank you?

I'm alright, thanks. I'm happy to be of help to you.

Kapella's Worries

Kapella was grateful, yes... However, her gratefulness was strange, as if she cared about him not out of friendship, but out of some sort of obligation. I wonder – what games are these kids playing at?

This matter took a while to settle, but it was finally over. Soon, Artemiy will head to Ospina to finally ask for her help with figuring out the meaning behind Tauro.

HellishWhiskers fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jun 6, 2015

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
More than anything else, it seems that Artemiy wants to be a useful man. The Bachelor is searching around for knowledge but Artemiy is just getting it given to him. At least, the knowledge he can use.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

So I noticed that you translated the shotgun as "hunting rifle." I saw this happen in the original translation of STALKER, and it threw some players off. Does the Russian language actually refer to hunting shotguns as rifles, rather than a specific term to differentiate them? Or is a word used for hunting longarms of any kind that just gets translated as "rifle"?

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl

chitoryu12 posted:

So I noticed that you translated the shotgun as "hunting rifle." I saw this happen in the original translation of STALKER, and it threw some players off. Does the Russian language actually refer to hunting shotguns as rifles, rather than a specific term to differentiate them? Or is a word used for hunting longarms of any kind that just gets translated as "rifle"?

The russian term for a very generic Russian double-barreled shotgun is "Охотничье Ружье", i.e. "Rifle for Hunting". There is a russian term for a "shotgun" - "дробовик", based on the word "дробь", which means "buckshot". Nobody calls that particular gun that, though, and if you tell, pretty much, any Russian the russian phrase for the "Hunting Rifle", they'll immediately know that you're refering to a double-barreled shotgun with a wooden stock.

HellishWhiskers fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Aug 13, 2014

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Interesting. I don't remember the Haruspex being so co-operative in the Bachelor scenario but it has been a long time.

also small input error, Oglimsky says 'you obligation' instead of 'your'

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

HellishWhiskers posted:

The russian term for a very generic Russian double-barreled shotgun is "Охотничье Ружье", i.e. "Rifle for Hunting". There is a russian term for a "shotgun" - "дробовик", based on the word "дробь", which means "buckshot". Nobody calls that particular gun that, though, and if you tell, pretty much, any Russian the russian phrase for the "Hunting Rifle", they'll immediately know that you're refering to a double-barreled shotgun with a wooden stock.

The mystery (well, for STALKER players) has finally been solved!

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Interesting. I don't remember the Haruspex being so co-operative in the Bachelor scenario but it has been a long time.

also small input error, Oglimsky says 'you obligation' instead of 'your'

Thank you. Also, yeah - I think I've said it before, but you do have the option of talking to Bachelor in a very begrudging manner and you can try to be as much of a jerk as possible, but you'll be railroaded into mostly working together. Besides, my interpretation of Haruspex is such, that I honestly think, that he is the sort of person who would like Bachelor for the person that he is, whatever disagreements they might eventually have.

Plus, NPC Haruspex actively dicks Bachelor over a bunch of times, or acts like a jerk to him in a very petty manner for no reason, other than to be a petty jerk.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

All of the characters act differently when you're not in control of them. The one that you control is always the one destined to save the town while the others neglect their adherents and occasionally do the right thing. Some significant events trough the 3 play-troughs do overlap though.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

HellishWhiskers posted:

Thank you. Also, yeah - I think I've said it before, but you do have the option of talking to Bachelor in a very begrudging manner and you can try to be as much of a jerk as possible, but you'll be railroaded into mostly working together. Besides, my interpretation of Haruspex is such, that I honestly think, that he is the sort of person who would like Bachelor for the person that he is, whatever disagreements they might eventually have.

Plus, NPC Haruspex actively dicks Bachelor over a bunch of times, or acts like a jerk to him in a very petty manner for no reason, other than to be a petty jerk.
Ain't no thang. And yea, you did, but it's just that fatigue combined with my bad memory make for very lacklustre recollections; I basically only barely remember him being cornered in his hideout. And the Bachelor being very malevolent in the Impostress scenario whereas here he is quick to anger but quick to chill as well.

Xoidanor posted:

All of the characters act differently when you're not in control of them. The one that you control is always the one destined to save the town while the others neglect their adherents and occasionally do the right thing. Some significant events trough the 3 play-troughs do overlap though.
Hmm. Yea, and I wonder if all three are done certain truths may emerge. Still, That makes me wonder about the re-make of the game, wasn't there some hints they might add the, two that didn't make the cut?

I guess it's way too early to talk about that though.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Still, That makes me wonder about the re-make of the game, wasn't there some hints they might add the, two that didn't make the cut?
Yeah, if all goes well with the Kickstarter they are going to make those two characters playable.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Accordion Man posted:

Yeah, if all goes well with the Kickstarter they are going to make those two characters playable.

What are you talking about? :confused:

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Everyone's sitting on their asses the whole time, who could possibly that be

...Blok? :haw:

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl

Accordion Man posted:

I've seen no word on that, at all, so saying that is a bit premature.

As far as I know, the extra two scenarios never got farther than the drawing board, too, so I'm really doubtful, that it's going to be in the scope of the remake - unless they get buried in money at the kickstarter stage, which is very unlikely.

HellishWhiskers fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Aug 13, 2014

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I know after seeing this LP I'll certainly be backing it, at least. I love these kinds of incredibly weird, surreal games.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Xoidanor posted:

What are you talking about? :confused:
There are two later characters that were initially intended to be player characters. It will become more obvious who they are as time passes.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

I gotta say, your translation is vastly better than the game's one.

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl

Ratoslov posted:

I gotta say, your translation is vastly better than the game's one.

Thank you - I do suck at proofreading, though. That usually happens, because, by the time I'm done putting stuff together, I get a bit tired, so the stuff slips through the cracks. Again, I really appreciate it when folks yell at me about the especially egregious stuff they notice.

I will get into a habit of doing passes a couple of hours after I throw an update up soon, though.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
New mail from Voronika! Anyone living in Petersburg here? :v:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Can't access the secret page right now, but the Russian Accademy of Sciences is in Vasilievsky Island. A fine place of residence for our Bachelor.

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl
The address in the letter points to the building in which this fellow's pharmacy was located in 19th-20th century. From the Post-script, though, I don't think that we are supposed to glean a second password from just this e-mail.

http://www.saint-petersburg.com/german/alexander-poehl/

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl
Chapter Three - Part 2

The way from the "Clot" to Ospina's house wasn't a particularly far one.

By this point, Artemiy was in a habit of bartering with kids, so, when he noticed a busy-minded girl on the street, he approached her.

Something was a bit off about her, though...

We've heard about you...

Have you, now? Hmm... You seem a bit pale...

I'd do anything for some milk right now... They don't allows to milk cows, though... You don't have any milk, do you?

Not right now... Why don't they allow you to milk cows?

They say, that, lately, cows don't give milk, but some sort of reddish ichor. My aunt said that, and my mom also said that Aglaya, a cook for one of the big families, said the same thing. She's one of the steppe folk, she knows about cows – she even said, that, out in the Steppe, the cows' milk has turned black!

Well, now – these tales would kill any desire for milk I'd ever have!

Tales like this, however fueled by fear they might be, usually carried in them a grain of truth. Artemiy carried on.

Track 6 – The Land

The streets of the Raw Structures were almost entirely empty – much emptier than the rest of the districts. A bad sign.

Despite what Vlad told Artemiy about the owner of the house harbouring escapees, Ospina's house was just as quiet as before.

Ospina was humming a local song when Artemiy approached her. She clearly expected him.

Do you know why I've come here?

I believe I do. You're after an escapee. How unfortunate, that Big Vlad had already managed to sink his claws in you. This friendship will not bring you good things, mark my word. In any case, you're late. An out-of-towner was here, already – a bachelor, clad in snake skin. I've led the escaped butchers out into the steppe – he would've shot them all, otherwise.

So far, Artemiy only had the perception of the Bachelor as a fellow, who was stuck in his laboratory. Curious, though not unlike him to treat the unknown with scorn.

Have they all left?

No... Some are still hiding out in the town. I'll be looking out for them, gathering them together. I've already found one of them, I'll find the rest. I only need time. The Children of Suokh don't need to die in this death chamber. You can count on me, oinon. I won't let your people die.

Where is this butcher hiding?

You aren't going to give him up to Big Vlad, are you? Promise?

Artemiy didn't give this particular promise with the intention of going back on it.

I promise. I'm not going to betray him.

Very well, I'll tell you. He's hiding in a place, from which everyone, who can run is running from today. Look for him there. Be careful, though – there are people hunting for him.

You don't have to worry about me.

Tauro

It would seem, that the calling of my lineage gives me the right to lord over the children of Bodkho in the interest of common good... Ospina has given me the life of the escaped butcher, even if she had done so a bit unwillingly... Still, I only have to find this refugee to be certain about this “right” of mine.

Ospina pointed out the house with the fugitive in it on the map. It wasn't that far a trek, so Artemiy headed out.

First, Artemiy saw the strange edifice break the fog. Then, he saw a guard mercilessly pummeling a very slowly moving figure. Then, Artemiy heard the moans.

Track 7 – The Land (Disease)

Of course... That was what Ospina mean by “the place everyone was running from”. Artemiy could be forgiven for missing this detail – having heavy-handed metaphors and oblique hints thrown at you for three straight days does quite a bit to discourage attention to finer details. The guards didn't try to stop him, but they did warn him that, should he get infected, he would not be let out of the district.

Wrapping his face in a rag, Artemiy began his first foray into the infected district.

In the district, the usual orange hue of the town was replaced by a green, miasmic fog. The only presence on the streets consisted of guards and some very slowly shuffling individuals, covered in filthy rags. Occasionally, these individuals attempted to approach the guards, only for them to either be chased away or beaten to death.

Once gain, Artemiy was in front of his Father's house. There was nothing for him inside, though, so he didn't tarry. Coming out of the little alcove, where his Father's house was located, Artemiy was hit with a gust of wind.

The cloud was hurling towards with a strange agility – Artemiy barely manage to duck out of the way. He could've sworn that he saw faces in the clouds, but when he turned, the faces were gone, and the cloud itself dissipated soon afterwards.

There were faces in those clouds, that much was certain. The moans, the grinning clouds, the ragged men approaching him with outstretched hands – this was the face of the enemy, that Artemiy was preparing to fight, and this was the first bout in a long struggle.

After more searching, Artemiy was sure that this was the right house.

Track 8 – Indoor Horror

The interior was dark, and the walls were smeared with dust and something viscous, the nature of which Artemiy couldn't glean in these circumstances.

Filthy rags covered almost every doorway, and Artemiy had to make a lot of effort to not get tangled up in them. Finally, on the second floor, Artemiy found whom he was looking for.

In that moment, the expression on Artemiy's face has, very likely, mirrored the expression of horror on the butcher's face.

What are you doing here, child of Bodkho?

Artemiy decided to not beat around the bush – a wise choice, considering the predicament.

I've come to ask you about the long circles of Tauro.

The long circles of Tauro are unknown to me. I am not an oinon, not a menkhu, not a keeper of rites.

Artemiy wasn't about to walk away empty-handed. He produced the Tauro out of his pocket and practically shoved it into butcher's hands.

Tell me about the meaning of this Tauro!

You are an oinon, of the line of menkhu, aren't you? I have seen this Tauro before. I don't know its lines. I've seen it in a horrible place. In the depths of Abattoir, there is a corridor. Through it, they bring in the Supreme ones from the Steppes for the celebrations. Oyun, the Elder of the Abattoir, can explain it all to you.

Supreme ones? What Supreme ones?

You don't know, whom we call the Supreme ones? You're joking...

Tell me about them.

You must be mocking me... We call them the Supreme ones, and not by their names, because we cannot talk about them. Perhaps, you don't even know about the one, who is called the Boos Turokh?

Boos... boos... The word was vaguely familiar. In Artemiy's mind, the word associated with Vlad Oglimsky, the person in control of the town's chief export – bulls... Bulls! Of course!

Are you talking about the bulls?

Butcher's expression, which was teetering on the edge between bewilderment and fury, softened.

Yes. Bulls, too. Don't joke with me like that, oinon. Don't mock my simplicity.

It seems, that he took it as some sort of a joke on Artemiy's part, though, these would be strange circumstances for a joke indeed.

What else do you know about this sign?

If something is marked by it, then it won't be a human, a child of Bodkho or a child of Suokh. It would be a Supreme one. Don't look for a human being, oinon. It terrifies me, that your Father got tangled up with Those, who walk the corridors, marked by this sign. The signs aren't there for no reason, after all. It isn't human. I know nothing else.

Thank you. Be careful.

Tauro

The picture is starting to come together. It's clear, that an Elder of Abattoir – most certainly, a menkhu, the knower of lines – is the one, who makes sure that the sacrifice adheres to the ritual. He is the most sacred authority in the matter. That is why he rules the Order. Big Vlad will tell me who is the one, who carries this duty in these hard times.

Even if Artemiy didn't get a concrete answer, the conversation was bound to leave much to ponder. Now, however, Artemiy didn't have time to ponder things. He still had to escape from the plagued district with his life intact.

The cloud was blocking the door outside, which meant that Artemiy had to look for a different exit. Thankfully, it was stationary for the moment, but not for long - before Artemiy found another exit from the house, it lifted up and began slowly advancing towards him. There was no wind here to blow it towards him – it clearly had a malevolent will of its own.

Only after exiting the house did Artemiy realize just how stifling the air inside has been. His entire stay in the plagued district was fueled by sheer, animal terror and adrenaline. He was done here – it was time to leave. Artemiy did not tarry.

His journey out was decidedly not as tumultuous as the rest of his stay – as if, the monster had its fun and was releasing him into the wild to toy with him later.

The guards kept beating down the people in rags, but they let him pass. Before they moved the corpses, however, Artemiy took samples of the diseased tissue and extracted some of the organs from the infected dead. The guards didn't protest. In their eyes, everything was as it should have been.

With these samples, Artemiy could go straight to the Bachelor. Artemiy did, however, recall, that Dankovsky mentioned a certain infected corpse at the graveyard. It wouldn't hurt to take a look ,and, besides, Artemiy still had to visit his safehouse to make the batches of Tvyr mixture for Notkin.

Artemiy didn't notice it at the time, but the orange hue of the town did not reappear after he left the plagued district. Instead, a veil of gray descended upon everything he laid his eyes on. Was it just the local climate, or did Artemiy's first encounter with the Sand Fever coloured his perception so? He did not know the answer to that question.

Artemiy saw a fire burning in the distance, and a guard standing beside it. When he tried to approach the fire, however, the guard began to barrel after Artemiy, fueled by a strange fury that Artemiy did not know the source of.

There was nothing left but to put the strangely rabid guard down.

Artemiy did not know the identity of the deceased, but, if the Bachelor was correct, its blood could be valuable. With it in tow, Artemiy would make a stop at his hideout.

The gray fog made the already poor visibility of the town even worse.

Inside, everything was safe and just how he left it. Locking the entrance, Artemiy began his work.

During the somewhat lengthy distillation process, Artemiy recalled his conversations with Bachelor – about the further experimentation he could run- and Vlad jr. - about the second device and the use for it. Artemiy did have extra infected material and some time on his hand, so he decided to give it a shot.

The noises and the stench produced by the device were quite appalling. The product of the process was a grayish viscous liquid that Artemiy bottled and put into his bag, next to the ten small bottles of Tvyr mixture.

With this cargo in tow, Artemiy headed to the Warehouses.

Just a little bit earlier in the day, Artemiy was begrudging the town's Amber hues. Now, he wished he never had. Artemiy was thinking about this, when a letter found its way into his hand. Did someone hand it to him? He could not remember...

Rubin's continuing threats

They're trying to convince me of your innocence.

I want to believe them, but I don't. There are lies and avarice in your defenders' words. They make for poor consolers.

The more they try to exculpate you, the worse it gets. Where are you hiding?

Artemiy didn't begrudge Rubin his impotent flailing. His emotions were perfectly understandable – after all, Rubin, perhaps, was one of a very small number of people, who bore more grief for his Father's passing than Artemiy did.

He went on.

Inside, everything was quiet – the kids were much more relaxed, than they were under the bandits' blockade. Understandably so, of course.

Can you believe it? A real epidemic! I hope out scouts return soon...

Here are your promised mixtures. Made by Burakh hands, too – based on an old recipe.

This is clearly worth a lot! After tonight, you can start coming here for the map.

Oh, believe me – I will.

The agreement was secured – the information about the infection's spread would, undoubtedly, prove extremely valuable in the coming days. It is certain, that there would be many things one could glean from observing the infection's patterns of spreading.

Famous Burakh recipes

It seems, that the infection spreads in spots across the infected districts. Notkin's Dualsouls are going to scout out the especially dangerous pockets of infection. They will map out the infected districts every day, starting from tomorrow. This is good news.

With this obligation settled, Artemiy went to the Stone Yards.

For once, Artemiy had quite a lot to show Daniil. With any hope, this will speed up the process of combating the infection that was starting to consume the town.

Artemiy, it seemed, has caught Bachelor just as he came in – Dankovsky looked tired and out of breath.

Were you out having a jog? Don't scowl at me like that, I was joking! Anyway, I've processed some infected organs with the tvyr mixture, like we discussed. Take a look at the result.

Well... This was to be expected, I'd say... This is something akin to an antibiotic. If you get infected, you can try to use it... It might help, too – won't cure you, but it should stave off the infection for a time. Did you think that this process would produce a panacea?

I've realized that this wouldn't produce a panacea quite yet!

The abrasive dismissal of his work did not please Artemiy at all – something that his expression seemed to indicate, because Dankovsky did seem to make an effort to soothe himself a bit.

Well... I think that, for a panacea we would need a particular sort of material. A particular environment, where a unique strain, with needed antibodies might be produced... No – simple organs won't work here.

Where could we get such material?

I'm actually working on that. I promise – the second I have any news, you'll hear of it. For now, however, this can also help us. At least, this could allow us to survive long enough, in case we get infected – that is starting to seem more and more likely.

Knock on wood, and cheer up, oinon! I recall, that you were on the hunt for some dead tissue?

I was! In fact, I sorely require it for my research!

Here – put it to good use.

I hope, that I'll be able to make my experiments work... For now, though – I want to thank you. I don't have money, but I have something better. I've got some medicine, that isn't available in the stores yet – can't give you all I've got, though, so you'll have to choose. Pick one – immunoboosters, antibiotics or analgesics?

After his run-in with the infection today, Artemiy figured that he wouldn't be able to get by just on his family recipes.

Immunoboosters.

Bachelor handed him three packs, with pills of different colours in each. Once that was done, he anxiously got to work on the tissue that Artemiy brought him. Haruspex did not interrupt him when he left.

Dead tissue

The tissue is under the microscope. I wonder, what conclusions will Bachelor draw from all this.

All that was left, for now, was to go Big Vlad.

It felt as if, with the coming of the plague, the Nature was pushing down on this town as hard as it could – harder than it could possibly have the right to. Or, perhaps, it did, didn't it?

Vlad was, as usual, ever the picture of enthusiasm and friendliness – something that was rapidly running out between Vlad and Artemiy. Indeed, this very conversation could be the last conversation the two would have on good terms?

Ah – I'm glad, that you are safe and sound.

I want to speak to the Elder Oyun. Can you arrange that?

Artemiy's request caused a very bizarre sort of combination between surprise and exasperation in Vlad Sr.

What? With what Oyun? What... what for? With an Elder? What Elder? With the current one?

Yes, with the current one. An Oyun.

It took him a second, but Big Vlad did compose himself.

Have the Mistresses blabbed? You know, I've already lost a friend, who was a Burakh. Elder Oyun knows why, and he is going to to answer for that too. Still, I do not want to lose a second one.

He knows who killed my Father?

Knows? Oh yes, he knows. I'd say, that he is glad for his death... He would be glad for yours, too. No... For now, you really should not meet the Elder quite yet.

What does he know?

I haven't spoken with him yet. When he returns, I will question him – with prejudice.

Returns? Where is he now?

He left for the Steppe – he's not in the town right now. I think, he should return in three days, give or take.

When did he leave?

Three days ago – or, perhaps four? Right on the eve of your arrival, Master Burakh.

So, are you going to arrange a meeting or not?

You know, they're plotting against me. Bachelor is sniffing about – what's going on in the Apiary, what's going on in the Abattoir... If I meet with the Elder, then I'll only give him more ammunition against me... Everything will come together with time, don't you worry. If I were in your place, I wouldn't be in a hurry to meet him, anyway.

I'll decide that for myself, if you don't mind.

Vlad Sr. apologetically nodded. The conversation was over. This was a dead end, but, at least, Artemiy's relationship with the Olgimsky family was not in tatters. Artemiy's request allowed him to go on the offensive, which resulted in Vlad being too befuddled to ask Artemiy to deliver on their previous agreement.

Tauro

Who is he, the one Sought-For, hidden beneath the sign of Tauro? Does he even have a name? Is this why he was marked by this sign? Or, perhaps, he is so terrifying, that to call his name is a taboo? Perhaps, it is sacred knowledge? Whatever the case, this means that he can't be saved by the usual means... If he is so complicated, then the measures to heal him will have to be commensurate. The meeting with the Elder is delayed. The enigma of the one Sought-For is not yet solved. I will keep working in the same direction, however – I still need a panacea.

The rest of the day was at Artemiy's disposal. The clock struck 4 PM, and Artemiy found himself outside the Clot with a letter in his hand. It looked mass-produced.

EPIDEMIC

An address to the Town's denizens.

Citizens! The Town's administration is declaring a state of emergency in connection with the epidemic of a deadly disease, otherwise known as “Earth Plague”, “Sand Fever” and “Sand Dirt”.

The disease is highly infectious. Not enough is known about its routes of transmission. Based on preliminary data, the disease spreads through contact and respiratory routes. An antiserum and other medicine will arrive shortly on the trains. For the moment, there is no vaccine in the town. Be careful!

Citizens are forbidden from leaving their homes, until told otherwise. Remember, that the chances of infection are drastically lowered by staying indoors. Carefully wash your kitchen utensils. Boil your linens. Eradicate any rodents you come across.

Do not panic! Mail, as well as rations of water, food and medicine, will be distributed to your homes by doctors, executors and mailmen. Any questions that you might have can be left, in written form, under your doors for the mailmen to pick up.

This address is compiled by the order of bachelor Dankovsky and approved by the commandant of the town Alexander Saburov, appointed as such due to the emergency. Any further orders issued by bachelor Dankovsky are mandatory.

The nature and scope of the danger were finally clear to everyone. With a heavy heart, Artemiy headed to his hideout.

HellishWhiskers fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Aug 15, 2014

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Those clouds are ridiculously creepy. I never encountered them in my abortive attempts at playing. How fast do they move? Do they make a sound?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Another question, and forgive me if this was already answered and I missed it, but what does oinon mean? Another term for a wise or learned person?

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl

chitoryu12 posted:

Those clouds are ridiculously creepy. I never encountered them in my abortive attempts at playing. How fast do they move? Do they make a sound?

There are a couple of types of these. One type is stationary and you can see it from pretty far away - that's the easy one. There's a slightly different type of stationary clouds, in that you don't see these until you've almost slammed into them - they pop up when you're about a second away from hitting them, so if you don't watch where you go, you'll have a bad time.

The second type are the mobile ones. These can spawn anyone around you, at varied distances - not too close, though - and they will start floating towards you at a speed of about twice your walking speed. They don't home in too much, so you can sidestep - their man threat is from the fact that you can be hit from the back or from the side. These make a slight sloshing/whooshing noise when they're close, so if one's coming from the back or the side, you have about two seconds to dodge it. These are the clouds that have the faces in them, and this is, probably, the one place where the SSLP format fails me, because the faces are much creepier in motion, since you don't really blatantly see the faces in them, but the uncanny valley still hits you like a truck.

Night10194 posted:

Another question, and forgive me if this was already answered and I missed it, but what does oinon mean? Another term for a wise or learned person?

Yeah, that's what it means. It isn't a real Russian term, mind you, but one made up by the game, although I talk about where it possibly came from on page 2.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I suppose that's one reason to gather organs - the diseased ones.

I guess Burakh has a separate compartment of his trenchcoat for them?

Brass Monkey
Sep 27, 2005

This Compsognathus model at the Oxford University Museum of Natural History shows the animal's narrow skull and long, tapered snout.
No, I think he just shoves them into his pockets just as he does with food and rifles and stuff. As far as I remember they just go into your usual inventory.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

While it would ruin the mood of the game entirely I think it's kind of a shame that he can't throw the organs at people. :haw:

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Has the reason for the organ-hoarding come up yet? I remember that being called out early on.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

I am heartened to see Burakh call Dankovsky 'oinon'. There's a remarkable respect between the two men.

Of course, it is still only 4 pm on the second day, isn't it?

If I may ask some questions about mechanics, what kind of weapons does Burakh use?

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl

CirclMastr posted:

Has the reason for the organ-hoarding come up yet? I remember that being called out early on.

Story reasons amount to, pretty much, because he can, since he's a menkhu and that's what menkhu do, apparently. Now, I'm not sure if all menkhu indiscriminately cut up every corpse they come across for that sweet, sweet liver, but that's what the game allows you to do, and you have very little reason not to. Gameplay-wise, you can trade organs to Worms for Tvyr herbs and to that hunchback guy from the Chapter 1, Part 2 for medical supplies, although that hasn't come up much and probably won't. Trading organs for herbs beats actually gathering herbs because they're a bit tough to find and you won't get much for your time investment, so cutting people up it is.

Ratoslov posted:

I am heartened to see Burakh call Dankovsky 'oinon'. There's a remarkable respect between the two men.

Of course, it is still only 4 pm on the second day, isn't it?

If I may ask some questions about mechanics, what kind of weapons does Burakh use?

It's the third day, actually - apologies for any confusion. Whatever chapter number it is, that's the day I'm on.

There aren't a lot of weapons in the game - there's a scalpel, a knife, a revolver, a sawn-off shotgun and a bolt-action carbine. There's also a miniature double-barreled revolver that only the Impostress can use. Right now, I have a knife and a sawn-off.

I'm not showing much combat right now, because, for now, all combat you can get into is limited to running into bandits at night, which I've already shown off and it doesn't change for the duration of the game. There is a new enemy type in the next update, though.

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl
Chapter Four

The rest of the day was spent in toils. Going out into the steppes, gathering the herbs – it was entirely uneventful, except for a letter that was handed to Artemiy at some point during the harvest.

A confidential note

An address to all the patrolmen, doctors, mailmen and executors.

The information presented in this note is to be kept confidential. Do not spread this information among the general population in lieu of panic.

There is no cure for the disease. There is no antiserum. No cure will be sent from the Capital. There are a couple of good news, though.

The probability of infection is lowered considerably upon taking immunoboosting medicine. For now, it is known that A-Tablets and B-Tablets (yellow and blue, respectively) help stave off the infection. Remember, that large doses of these medicines can cause considerable harm to your health.

Clothes, made from synthetic materials, can also help you repel the infection. Do no, under any circumstances, wear any clothes made of wool (parasites). Clothes are to be changed regularly.

The disease progresses unevenly. During the early stages, the disease's progress will be almost negligible if stymied by antibiotics. However, with repeated exposure to the sources of infection, the disease will begin progressing exponentially.

This is not an airborne disease. The modes of transmission are currently unknown. Based on the preliminary data, in its early stages, the disease is not infectious at all. In these cases, the contact between the infected and uninfected is not prohibited.

The Executors

Additional note for You: considering Your exceptional mission, it is very unlikely that you will be able to avoid the infection. However, even if you do get infected, do not despair. It will happen sooner or later, anyway. Keep the disease confined to its early stages, take antibiotics. Sooner or later, a panacea will be made. Keep in mind the children' powders. They will certainly burn out your innards, but the disease will be eliminated as well.

Be strong.

Perhaps, a bit of useful information for the future, but Artemiy hoped to avoid this state of affairs, if it could be helped.

Artemiy worked until the end of the day, with no further disturbance. The work yielded a new stock of mixtures, as well as a new set of possibly useful notes from his Father's diary.

Diary of Isidore Burakh: Excerpt on the First Outbreak (pg. 29)

Raw structures, notes on houses number 2,3,5,7 – 11, 13.

State of affairs on 4 PM – 118 infected, 3 dead.

State of affairs on 7 PM – 281 infected, 99 dead(!)

Houses 1, 6 – everyone dead, except cows. Children – unknown, quarantine.

Houses 12, 14 – all boarded up.

Conclusions : The spread is exponential. Mortality is almost at one hundred percent. Surviving this is a miracle. Isolation at all costs is necessary. “Black Quarantine”.

Curriers, houses 2, 7 (bordering with Raw Structures) – strange signs, boarded up.

Raw Structures, sate of affairs on 2 AM – 51 infected, 217 dead. None healthy.

Uninfected after taking the “Sparrow's mixture”: myself, Uprin, Rubin.

Infected after taking the “swift concoction”: Obodn., Nurkh, Bode.

Healed by the “dead broth”: Nurkh.

All these are the sign of her approach, Suokh. A time will come, when the Ancient Mother, in her hunger, will deem it fit to consume her offspring. The depth of her maw is immeasurable and the heat of her dark depths will not be quenched. Soil, dirt. Complete darkness. Horror.

These could be useful, though not directly for Artemiy. He did not command the influence and power his father did, after all – both Rubin and Saburov were still hunting for him, and Alexander Saburov just obtained the powers he was vying for.

The work continued deep into the evening, until Artemiy took a couple of hours of well-deserved rest. When he woke up, it was 1 AM, and that, of course, meant, that a new production was on at the theater.

Artemiy heard the two voices from the previous night, carrying on their debate, it would seem...

Well?

She is afraid of nonliving matter – she immediately disappears from the dead. They have concluded if you act properly and carefully hide, then you can wait it all out. The glass will preserve all the best things, as it has been foretold.

This particular voice was speaking with great exaggeration and incredibly uneven pauses – like a very poor theatrical actor. He wasn't selling his lines very well at all...

What does that mean?

It occurred to Artemiy, for a second, that this particular voice was very akin to his own – something he didn't think of during the first night. He didn't get the chance to ponder this for long, though, because he heard another familiar voice right afterwards.

This means that we can still fight it. The pathogen survives only in live cells and is repelled by dead matter. The ones who hide in their homes have more chances to survive. Hustling and bustling is a road straight into an early grave. All in all, we can still fight.

Well, aren't you something... You have your own vested interest here, too. You're always happy to be fighting something – you just have to find a suitable force. What about the people, though?

Shhh! Stop bothering him! It looks, like he has already thought of something...

Everything is bad... Everything is very, very bad.

The last line belonged to Dankovsky as well, but, this time, it was a slurring voice of a clearly drunken version of himself.

REEL 5: Masks' Nightly Production – Night Three

Artemiy was a bit confused by all this, but he chalked it up to the theater having a good cast of voice imitators and left it at that. He had more important things to consider, anyway.

It was 3 AM, and Artemiy, for the first time in a couple of days, didn't have much to do. With nary a lead, he decided, first things first, to visit Notkin and see just how expediently his maps of the infected districts are produced.

Coming out of the theater, however, he stumbled on the first infected district on his own. A portion of the Knots was clearly demarcated as infected. Were the Olgimsky safe? He could only hope that the walls of the “Clot” would protect them.

The clang of the rain droplets on the shanty warehouse roofs produced a rather sonorous sound. Artemiy did not imagine anyone spending their nights here having a good night's sleep.

Indeed, most of the children weren't asleep.

Neither was Notkin.

Can you believe it? The Curriers are completely empty! The disease is gone, too – as if nothing happened. Something weird is afoot... Matchstick is, probably, feeling pretty happy right about now! I worry about him, though...

Curious indeed... What is happening over there right now?

Marauders are having a free reign there now. The houses are open – just like yesterday. They're taking everything that isn't nailed down. They'll probably organize soon, too. They killed one good fellow I knew, and they also have killed Hernia's elder brother. We gotta teach those jerks a lesson.

Notkin, it seemed, always wanted to teach someone a lesson – the town had plenty of folks who could stand to learn some lessons, it's true, but Artemiy had to protect the boy, even if he seemed insistent on getting himself into all sorts of trouble.

Why are you always so bloodthirsty, Notkin?

I'm not thirsty for blood – I'm thirsty for justice! They're killing folk – we have to pay evil unto evil. We would go there ourselves, but we have a bit of... business we have to attend to fairly soon. I worry about Matchstick, though – he'll certainly try to fight them himself. Do you want to kick their asses or no?

They could, very well, kick my rear end too, you know...

They say, that the marauders are walking around with these crowbars – stole them from the factories, apparently. Hey, everyone! I'm ready to give a reward for every dead marauder. Whoever brings me four of marauders' crowbars will get... well, trust me, - the reward will be commensurate.

Artemiy didn't feel like getting into another scuffle, but that could mean indirectly protecting two of the boys that he had an obligation to protect. With this in mind, he took on the task.

An interesting offer – consider it accepted. By the way, have your scouts put together the map?

Yup, got it right here. We did quite a bit of work – quite fast, too. Five hundred coins. That's the price.

It wasn't much, especially considering the price hike that occurred in the recent days, but, still, this was not part of the original deal.

Why does it cost that much, anyway?

Oh... you know – equipment, odds and ends. I'm not lying!

Fine. Whatever. Here you go.

It seems that the Folds and The Womb were the two districts afflicted by the disease today. The Curriers were also marked with the black colour. Burned out, perhaps? In any case, that's where Artemiy's path would take him next.

Marauders

Desperate Notkin wants to, in a way, protect his comrades – those who are scouting out the infected districts. He promises a reward for gathering four “crowbars” that marauders carry around and use to get inside the boarded houses.

The rough men let him pass without any trouble, just like the last time. Today, however, something was different in the air.

Just as Notkin reported, the disease seemed to be gone. There were no more clouds, no more wailing.. No people, too – unless, you count the patrolmen and the occasional bandit, who were being conspicuously ignored by the patrolmen. An odd state of affairs. Artemiy checked one of the houses to see if the stories about marauders were true.

Upon entering the house, Artemiy was charged at by a very skinny, very agile man. He moved quite fast, but charging a man with a shotgun head-on isn't the most wise of decisions.

The man did have one of the bizarre, self-made crowbars on him that Notkin was vying for. Examining the house further, Artemiy bumped into another of these marauders. He employed the same tactics and met the same end.

The house was already cleaned out, aside from a few odds and ends. With two of the four crowbars, Artemiy decided to check another house for the marauders.

Disturbingly enough, the second house was completely identical to the first one in every way – almost every way, that is. The second marauder was hiding in a different spot.

If there were marauders in every house, and Matchstick lived here, then that meant that the kid could, very well, be in danger. Artemiy decided to try and find one of the Adherents that he has sworn to protect. This did, unfortunately, meant going from house to house.

All the houses were completely identical to each other, until, finally, one of the houses was different.

The interior was dilapidated, as if it was in the middle of being repaired before it was abandoned. It wasn't a maze, but it was, still, a bit hard to navigate. Soon enough, however, Artemiy found whom he was looking for.

The boy was unusually relaxed, for someone hiding out in an abandoned house in a district full of marauders.

What a bunch of rascals... Can you imagine? The Dualsouls are saying, that I am spying for Khan! Calling me a traitor, too... They're not taking me with them to rob the thieves! Bunch of jerks...

Are their suspicions correct?

Suspicions? Is that what you call it? Notkin is simply getting back at me for not joining his gang back in the day! Khan is the same way, too! The things I've done for both of 'em... These jerks think they're royalty or something... Well, they better watch out!

So, you're saying that the Dualsouls want to rob the robbers?

Yeah, that's right. They won't manage to pull it off, though. They're planning to arm themselves, and they've gathered their weapons in one place. I think I'll mess with them a bit, though. Let's steal their weapons? That way, we'll keep these dummies away from thieves' knives too!

Keeping Notkin out of trouble did seem like a good idea.

Well, alright. Where are they keeping the weapons?

Go to the cemetery. My buddy, Stump, is there. Tell him that you're helping me out. He'll show you where it is. The password is “tattletale”. But watch it – you better share what you find. If you take it all for yourself, you'll pay. Trust me.

“Tattletale”, you say... Very well. You've got yourself a deal.

Arms stash

Near the cemetery, a kid is waiting for someone, who'll be brave enough to raid an arms stash.

Artemiy already had the crowbars he needed, so he was free to pursue this task at his leisure.

It was only early morning, and the bandits were still preying on the passersby.

Any one of them that crossed Artemiy's path were dispatched accordingly.

Soon enough, Artemiy was at the cemetery. The teenage kid stuck out like a sore thumb or, perhaps, like a big stump in a clearing.

The hell did you come here for? Did you come for your own funeral?

Easy there, kid. Are you Stump? “Tattletale”. I'm coming with you, in Matchstick's stead.

Ah, I see... Good on Matchstick – who knows what's in there... They've all gone mad, like rabid dogs! I would stick one to them, too, if I could... Okay, come after me.

Hey, wait a bit...

We're going without any stops, time is money here... I hope we don't bump into them on the way... Well – if that happens, you'll fight them off, I bet.

Alright, let's go.

The kid was quite fast, and made it tough for Artemiy to keep up.

Strangely enough, a bandit was in their path. Quite possibly, the Dualsouls' dumb idea became public knowledge, and the bandits were planning to ambush the kids, who'd come here to get their weapons. They launched themselves at Artemiy, ignoring the kid for now.

Soon enough, they were all handily dispatched.

Phew... we're here! Weird – it's locked. They either haven't come here yet, or they've already left... Do you have a lockpick?

Artemiy wasn't in the manner of keeping such things, he was an honest man and had no use for them – none that he could recall.

No, I don't.

Dammit! We should've gotten one from Matchstick – I thought, that the stash was wide open! When did the Dualsouls close it, I wonder?

Don't worry – I'll sort it out – thanks for bringing me here.

Hey! How about some tips for your guide?

Alright, now – don't get too greedy. If I come back alive, you'll get something.

The kid began walking away, his loud curses being carried in the night steppe wind. One place where Artemiy could reliably get a lockpick was Griff's place. It was easy, really – he could visit Notkin, get his reward and then go straight to Griff.

The dawn was slowly creeping up on the night.

Some of the kids were gone, with new ones taking their place. Everyone had a mission, it seemed – the Dualsouls functioned like a well-oiled mechanism. Good on Notkin, indeed.

Notkin seemed lost in thought - savouring his cunning plan coming into fruition, no doubt. He was giddy with excitement to the point, where he opened his conversation with Artemiy with a complete non-sequitur.

Are you stocking up on arms too?

Artemiy obviously knew what he was talking about, but letting Notkin know would complicate things.

No. Why do you ask? Whatever, I don't care. Are these the crowbars you wanted?

Yup – that's them. I'll keep my word. Here, “from our house to yours,” so to speak.

Notkin handed Artemiy a strange hodgepodge of various ammunition in one big pile. There was rifle ammo, revolver ammo and some slugs – about 15 of them in total.

Thanks. Mount these crowbars on the wall, if you want.

Marauders

We've taught a lesson to Marauders. Hopefully, this'll make them think twice before robbing folk again.

Artemiy went out and began heading in the direction of Griff's warehouse when he spotted a “hapless passerby.

He didn't notice Artemiy, giving him the chance to sneak up on the guy.

Inside one of the bandit's pockets was, funnily enough, a lockpick.

Quite a bit of luck, that – it also meant that Artemiy wouldn't have to see Griff's scowling mug today. Neat.

While Artemiy was walking on the rails, the clock struck 7 AM

Day Four, by the end of which, Haruspex will be able obtain a friend and find a half-living enemy.

The disease seemed to progress in much the same way that Isidore described in his diaries. Almost everyone who got infected died within 24 hours. For now, there was no escape.

The trek was largely uneventful, and there were no more bandits at the house. Artemiy fiddled with the lock for a bit and opened the door.

This was a right surprise, indeed. The house was infected. Perhaps, that is the reason why it was locked? Still, Artemiy had to scour the house for weapons.

Unfortunately, with filthy rags hanging everywhere and the clouds of infection chasing him, it was like looking for a needle in a haystack that was trying to actively murder you. An unfortunate situation. Finally, on the second floor, Artemiy managed to find a single sawn-off shotgun on the bed with some ammo for it. Was this it? Did someone get to the stash before him and infect the house? If so, why? It wasn't the right time for such deliberations, though.

Artemiy was in and out in less than a minute. Only swiftness and luck could save him from infection, after all.

Arms stash

The stash has been emptied. Now, it's unlikely that the kids will try to fight the bandits. Hopefully, this will save a couple of lives.

The process of writing the journal entry has been rudely interrupted by someone shoving a letter into Artemiy's hands.

Bachelor's Invitation: What is Rubin hiding?

It seems, that I am unable to trust our common acquaintance. He has hidden from me something very important! Please come – it is urgent. I think, that the material, with which he is working, could be useful both to me and you. I'll tell you more when we meet.

D.D.

It seems, that Bachelor didn't quite grasp the current relationship between Stakh and Artemiy. Still, he would see him after talking to Matchstick about what he found in the house.

This trek was also largely uneventful until Artemiy reached the curriers.

The fight was a protracted one, and it seemed, as if the patrolmen' hearts were not in it. Curious.

Artemiy had to step in to help finish this scuffle.

In the morning, the sandy orange hue was much stronger. Where did this colour come from? Perhaps, Bachelor knew? It was entirely strange and unexplainable, but it did fill Artemiy with a feeling of emptiness and dread.

Don't look so gloomy, Burakh. Everything will work out.

Maybe, if we survive that long... I've found the stash, kid. Thanks for the tip. Did you know, that the house it was in was infected?

Really? You aren't kidding?

Kidding? Why would I be? Ask your friend, if you want.

Huh... You know what, you keep the stuff you got out of there... I don't quite need it, either.

Wise choice, kid.

Unfortunately, Matchstick didn't provide any useful information about the possible source of the infection, but, at least, the kid was safe and the Dualsouls were kept out of trouble. This would be enough to keep Artemiy content for now. Time to visit Dankovsky.

The shortest path lay through the Womb – a quarantined district. Traversing it carried a certain amount of danger, though nothing Artemiy couldn't handle.

Track 9 – Knots (Disease)

One cloud almost got Artemiy by blindsiding him, but he managed to dodge out of the way in time. Onward.

Well, this was rather curious. The cloud of infection was hanging outside the actual quarantined zone. A bit unusual, since, until now, Artemiy noted that the disease kept itself strictly confined to certain district, yet here it was, breaking its own bounds.

Artemiy decided not to ponder the situation too long and ducked in the “Whirpool” - the folk' name for Eva Yan's house, where Dankovsky has been taking residence for the past four days.

Daniil was expecting him, as usual.

Yesterday's experiments have ended up in a complete and utter failure. I couldn't extract the microbial strain from the dead tissue. Not to worry, though – there is hope yet!

Complete and utter failure? Aren't you exaggerating?

Oh, not at all. I couldn't procure any live bacteria and one can't do anything with this, pardon my language, poo poo that is left in the tissue after the disease is done with it. I won't even mention antibodies at this point. I'm not despairing, though – not yet.

Why not?

Master Rubin, who doesn't quite trust me and is concealing something important from me, has a strange source. Based on this source, he is already making the first prototypes. It isn't a vaccine yet, but it's a start. I imagine, that you are just as interested in this source as I am.

Indeed, I am. Do tell.

It looks, like Rubin is working with a carrier – someone who has, in his blood, a weakened strain of the microbe. I don't imagine, that we can make a vaccine out of something like that. It seems, that your mixtures deal with this version of the disease in a very short order. The main question is, what could weaken the infection like that?

Do you know who this carrier is?

No, and I'm quite curious to find out. Rubin won't tell me anything, though. The two of you, on the other hand, have a much closer relationship. Perhaps, he'll open up to you.

I doubt that – Rubin hates me.

Nonsense. Last time I've talked to him, he couldn't stop espousing your good name and your innocence. Now, he sees in you a hero and regrets his zealous rage completely.

Does he, now... Where can I find him?

Now that... That, I cannot tell you. I gave my word.

“I should've expected this,” thought Artemiy. Still, that didn't stop him from thinking Dankovsky to be quite dumb at that moment.

What? Are you kidding me right now?

I hold Rubin's trust very dearly. It's fragile. If he finds out, that I gave up his secret hideout – which is, by the way, being sought for by armed patrolmen – I would lose a very valuable ally. No – you need to find Rubin yourself.

Artemiy adored having his time wasted in a wanton manner. Luckly for Bachelor, today was the day when Artemiy had a lot of it on his hands.

How in the hell am I supposed to look for him, then?

I was introduced to him by a very sweet personage, by the name of Lara Ravel. She is a very kind and soft creature. I don't imagine that you will be able to get in her good graces without a good, clean reputation.

Artemiy has been working on keeping his good name out of trouble, it's true. Anyone who isn't a zealous fanatic – like, say, Alexander Saburov – would've been convinced of his innocence right now.

Very well, I'll go have a chat with her.

Mysterious Blood

The Bachelor sure has his principles. Not wanting to take responsibility for my upcoming encounter with Rubin, he sent me to talk to Lara Ravel, who should tell me where he is to be found. Apparently, she is also a principled personage – I'm not even sure if she'll talk to a Ripper such as myself.

Getting to Lara Ravel's house would mean, once more, braving an infected district.

Track 10 – Stone Yard (Disease)

No incidents, no clouds – nothing. Artemiy was completely ignored, for now. A free pass, one could've said.

The trek wasn't a long one and, soon enough, he was at his destination.

The interior was lavish, even by the Adherents' standards. Truly, a feast in time of plague. Artemiy couldn't entirely tell if this was excess or necessity, though – there were quite a lot of people here.

Perhaps, this wasn't a feast, after all. Did the owner of the home turn it into a boarding home of some sort? Artemiy wasn't sure if there was a logic to such a plan, but he wouldn't question it. That wasn't what he was here for, after all.

Who are you? Did the Harpist send you? What are these red stains on your clothes?

I am the son of Isidore Burakh. My name is Artemiy.

Her expression told him, that she knew who he was. Despite this, she didn't chase him out of her home right there and then. His good deeds must have worked their magic in this town.

Can I help you?

I'm looking for Stakh Rubin. Do you know where he could be?

I do – due to a lucky coincidence, but still. Why do you want to know? Do you want to take your revenge?

Revenge? For what?

He was threatening to kill you. He believes, that you've killed Isidore. That isn't true, though... Is it?

What is your opinion on that matter, I wonder...

Oh, I don't know what to think anymore...

It doesn't really matter – whatever happens, Rubin can hold his own ground. Where is he?

First, you'll tell me why you need to see him!

She was soft-spoken, but there was a strong determination behind her words. Fighting her on this would be to no avail.

I'm making a panacea – just like he is. I want to know if he had any progress.

Can you give me your word that you won't reveal his location to anyone else? Can you swear on your Father's memory?

Lara was going straight for jugular here. Still, Artemiy liked her enough, that he was ready to give such a promise. Besides, he wasn't going to do anything to endanger Rubin anyway.

I swear.

There was a big fight at the abandoned warehouses, near the Factories. The townsfolk found a lair that belonged to Bragha's gang – the gang that was the first to start cutting... oh God... cutting people up. Rubin snuck in there – he was called to help treat the wounded. Look there.

Thank you, Lara

Mysterious Blood

Rubin has left his hideout and is, now, paying his debts after the slaughter in Bragha's den, at the abandoned warehouses near the Factories.

This particular trek was a long one – especially if Artemiy was to go around the infected Womb district. Still, he had time to spare, and he had no wish to go through navigating clouds of infection again. He went the long way around.

Near the theater, Artemiy stumbled upon a bit of a scene.

The poor fellow was making a break for it, while the patrolman had clear trouble catching up to him. Artemiy didn't want to step in – it wasn't his job to put down the sick ones, after all. People wouldn't understand. He let the scene play out.

Finally, the patrolman threw a knife at the escapee, catching him straight in the back of the neck. The matter was over, and the corpse was swiftly dragged away from the street by two burly patrolmen. Artemiy went on.

Being within a spitting distance from the warehouse where Rubin was supposed to be, Artemiy realized that he is quite tired. He did not sleep since 1 AM, after all, and it was 11 AM now. He could use a nap, and, besides, Rubin was not going anywhere. If what Lara said was true, then he would be at the warehouse for a while. With his hideout being very close, Artemiy decided to have a good, old-fashioned nap.

When Artemiy emerged three hours later, the sky was entirely gray – just like yesterday. Perhaps, this was the effect of the green miasma of infection rising up in the noon heat? He was not sure.

A brief jog later, Artemiy was at the doors of the marked warehouse.

Just as Lara said, wounded men littered the floor of the warehouse. Stakh Rubin was there, as well, his work clearly a grisly one.

Despite what happened in the past days, Stakh waited for Artemiy to address him.

I have to ask for your forgiveness, Artemiy.

Artemiy wasn't about to hold grudges against his childhood friend – especially, not in these times.

Everything is forgotten and forgiven, Stakh. I know how much you loved my father.

They told me, that you've taken on his obligations. That you've started making a panacea. That you are toiling, risking life and limb every hour of every day. You are being chased, too – just like me.

I am, am I? I wonder why...

Everything has gotten mixed up... They've just told me a strange tale. I think, that you are being chased after for my crimes. For Simon Kain.

I've heard that Simon Kain has been killed, yes.

Remember, when you were attacked? At the station? Well, they were trying to ambush Simon's killer. They thought, that he would try to hide in one of the wagons, when the train was going to come.

This wasn't anything new – Artemiy has known this information for a while

What are we to do with that, exactly? I think, that oinon Dankovsky has already managed to find out the truth of the matter. Simon's killer is among us, and we cannot bring it to justice quite yet.

No, you don't understand. We are being chased by zealots, for desecrating Simon's corpse. If you have to know, they are correct to chase after me for this crime. After I realized what is hiding in the blood of that “superhuman”, I made a desperate decision. I decided to make a cure for the Sand Fever out of Simon Kain.

Why didn't you explain everything? They would understand...

Would they? It's useless to try to explain anything to Kains. Simon was a fetish for them. A totem! They would rather rely on his “sacred” powers, on the magic that his name carried – or God knows what else. It is a family of powerful mystics – cultists, even. They believe in no science, other than their magic.

I see... What are you going to do with Simon?

I've already done it. I've performed a terrible sacrilege. I've opened his body along all of the lines and drained him to the last drop. I've procured a strain of bacteria from him and made a number of samples of a protective vaccine. Old Simon has fed the humanity with himself once more.

Have you checked his blood for antibodies?

That was the first thing I've done – there was nothing of the sort in his blood. You know me, I am a skeptic, but every time I encounter the Kains' magic, I am gripped by fear. The disease, for some reason, was slowly waning in him on its own. Not dying, mind you.

On its own? How so?

His blood is absolutely different from everything I've seen, on the base level. I have to go so far as to say, that it's not entirely human blood. That is, it is blood of something more than human, understand? Whatever the case, the blood is gone. All of it was spent on the vaccines. Don't feel too bad, though – I don't think it would've helped you in making the panacea.

This was disappointing, but Artemiy knew that he could trust Rubin to pursue this avenue of research thoroughly. If he turned up without a cure, Artemiy wouldn't have either. This saved him his time and efforts and, therefore, was nothing to begrudge Stakh for.

I see... Thanks for the news.

I'm sorry, that the news weren't more useful. Don't hold it against me, please.

I won't. Good luck to you, Stakh.

Rubin nodded. It was time for the two friends to part ways, once more. Rubin had his work to do, and Artemiy had his.

Mysterious Blood

So, this is the end that was met by the Overhuman Simon... I have to give it to him – he did, in the end, prove that a human can defeat the Sand Fever. His blood is the proof of that fact. I do have to wonder, though – could it have been possible to make a panacea out of his blood?

Artemiy's day was done, it seemed. He would go back to his hideout and continue with the same activities, slowly but surely approaching the coming of the panacea.

That is what Artemiy thought was going to happen, at least.

“Only three men?” thought Artemiy. There weren't three of them, though – there were four. A heavy blow to the back of the head was the last thing Artemiy felt before blacking out.

Artemiy woke up in a cell, located somewhere that looked like a factory. Two guards were patrolling outside of it. A cloud of disease hung near it, as well. The strangest thing was in the fact, that the two seemed to be completely unaware of it, though they seemed to instinctively walk around it.

There was a corpse near the cell's bars and, when the two patrolmen went away, Artemiy bolted to quickly search the corpse. He found a revolver with three bullets in the drum.

Armed with this, he could surely escape his predicament – possibly, even unharmed. Unfortunately for Artemiy, this is when the cloud began to advance towards him – slowly, but methodically and with obvious intent.

Soon, it was joined by a second one and, together, they formed a wall that was slowly pressing Artemiy against the back wall of the cell.

Artemiy tried to hold his breath, but the clouds were patient. They had a role to fulfill and they were not going to go off script just for him. After a minute or so, Artemiy finally breathed in a lungful of miasmatic air. It was like breathing in a handful of very old dust, causing Artemiy to break into a savage coughing fit.

This was, of course, quite enough, but the clouds stuck around until the job was finally, completely done and Artemiy blacked out once more.

HellishWhiskers fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Aug 19, 2014

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Track 10 – Stone Yard (Disease)

This links to a very mood-killing track. :v:

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl

RBA Starblade posted:

This links to a very mood-killing track. :v:

That is the true sound of a deadly plague.

(I'm great at LPs! :v: It's fixed, thanks for pointing it out)

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
It's odd, but I never expected them to take power out of the hands of the player so directly. I certainly don't remember it from the other sides, but maybe I've just forgotten.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Oh hells yes, Pathologic. The best game I never played. It's the most pure form of misery and I love it, despite the horrid translation issues and the combat----

Accordion Man posted:

Also as a heads up because it will probably happen during the duration of this LP but Ice Pick is planning a Kickstarter for a remake of Pathologic with improved gameplay and English translation next month so make sure to check it out when it goes live.

HNNGH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl

It's odd, but I never expected them to take power out of the hands of the player so directly. I certainly don't remember it from the other sides, but maybe I've just forgotten.

There is a way to avoid the cell segment, but it's basicaly not intended, because it involves sitting in Rubin's warehouse until the next day comes. That way, the patrolmen never show up. Beyond that, though, you will always end up in that cell. You can't fight the patrolmen - you always black out.

The clouds in the cell are total bullshit, because they will relentlessly home in on you until they hit you. If you know that this segment is coming, you can, theoretically stock up on immunoboosters and eat enough of them to the point of slight immunity to infection, which means that you might not get infected - I never managed to pull that off, myself.

Also, when you end up in the cell, the game takes away all you weapons and ammo and never gives them back. Yay...

HellishWhiskers fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Aug 20, 2014

• Locked thread