Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

They're almost definitely making their goal. Over a month left to go and they're almost halfway to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
At this point, I'm just hoping they make enough to add those two cut characters.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Accordion Man posted:

At this point, I'm just hoping they make enough to add those two cut characters.

They won't be. They responded to this request in the comments section:

Ice-Pick Lodge posted:

@magmlava: Quite long ago it was. By the time the game more or less had taken shape it was clear that Inquisitor and General do not fit. The game that can now be called "Pathologic" have never had these two additional characters, i.e. it was decided early on that there isn't really any need to have such heroes as playable characters.
I don't want to spoil too much that we haven't seen already, but suffice to say they could not be easily incorporated into the story as it stands.

I will be interested to see what sort of stretch goals are created though. I imagine they might have to bring these out sooner than expected!

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.
Wow. As of now, all the 3,000 dollar level spots have been taken. They need to commit to making a few more of those masks. Also, the concept of a Pathologic card game sounds awesome, and I wish it was less than 65 dollars to order separately.

As for the LP, I think we should tell the truth to Klara. Having one less source of supernatural weirdness around would probably be good, if the Rat Prophet is telling the truth. And in general, honesty is the best policy... Right?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Lie to her.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

Kegluneq posted:

They won't be. They responded to this request in the comments section:

I don't want to spoil too much that we haven't seen already, but suffice to say they could not be easily incorporated into the story as it stands.
I'd love to see what "The Riot", a.k.a. the original game with the Inquisitor and the General was supposed to be like. But that wasn't even intended as a computer game.

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl

woodenchicken posted:

Great stuff, looking forward to more of this.

I wanted to write some similar observations in my old thread, about real-life inspirations and whatnot, but I had my hands full with the LP, and by the time I got my poo poo together, the thread has kind of run its course. I'll try to write something down and we'll see if it's spoiler-safe to post.

That would be neat, yeah. Also, Ice-Pick clearly liked what you did.

https://twitter.com/IcePickLodge/status/507890701019803650

(Note how it's referred to it as being published by "Dendy". In case anyone is wondering, it's a bootleg knockoff of NES that mostly sold in Russia)

HellishWhiskers fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Sep 5, 2014

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Black Wombat posted:

Wow. As of now, all the 3,000 dollar level spots have been taken. They need to commit to making a few more of those masks. Also, the concept of a Pathologic card game sounds awesome, and I wish it was less than 65 dollars to order separately.

Agreed. I honestly just want the card game and a pair of creepy masks to terrify everyone I know with, but I don't have 3,000 bucks to get it. Oh well.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

HellishWhiskers posted:

Also, Ice-Pick clearly liked what you did.

https://twitter.com/IcePickLodge/status/507890701019803650

(Note how it's referred to it as being published by "Dendy". In case anyone is wondering, it's a bootleg knockoff of NES that mostly sold in Russia)
Heh. Yeah, that was a Russian in-joke. They made Genesis too :eng101: I had a Dendy Genesis. It was bizarre how the same company sold knockoff NES, knockoff and real SEGA hardware and real SNES. They ran the console war all by themselves, sometimes promoting the systems and making GBS threads on them in the same magazine or TV show.

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl
The Glossary Post

Will be updated and/or edited according to the popular demand. If folks have particular questions about specific terms, feel free to ask them and I'll add stuff here.

Glossary

Bodkho – the name the Steppe folk use for the Earth. Female in gender. An entity cherished by The Order just like its sacred bulls. Considered to be a living being and opening its lines is only allowed to the select few.

Suokh – absolute darkness, the antithesis of life. Has existed since the beginning of time, even before the Boos Turokh existed. Now, it is contained in the depths of Boos Turokh, yearning to be free.

Boos Turokh – the Great Bull That Swings His Horns. Part of Steppe Folk' belief system, the bull represents the body, within which the known Universe is contained.

Tvyr – a herb that grows exclusively in the Steppe. Has mystical properties associated with it and is said to possess will, hiding itself from the outsiders. Has known healing properties, helps combat the effects of Sand Fever.

Order – the collective name for the Steppe people who live in the Town. They live in the Apiary and toil in the Abattoir, except for those who have tasks out in the Steppe. Include Butchers, Odonkhe and Herb Brides.

Apiary – a giant housing collective where the members of the Order live in extremely crammed conditions.

Abattoir – a giant complex where the bulls are ritualistically slaughtered before being transferred to the factories for further preparation for export.

Odonkhe – otherwise called “Worms”. Members of the Order, they are short, bald strange beings who are often tasked with herding the cattle and gathering Tvyr.

Tvyr Brides – otherwise referred to as Herb Brides, Dancers. Members of the Order, they are said to have a mystical power given to them by the Earth. Their ritualistic singing and dancing are said to draw forth the Tvyr from the body of Bodkho. Infection within them spreads at a slower rate and dies outright if there is a sufficiently small amount of it.

Menkhu – a specific caste within the Order. Healers, oinons and servitors, these people are granted certain privileges and have certain duties. They are the only ones allowed to “open up the lines of a body in accordance with the will of the Earth.” Menkhu hold a certain dominion over the rest of the Order – most people of the Order obey a menkhu's will without question. Becoming a menkhu is only part-birthright – one must go through a number of trials and tasks before becoming a full-fledged menkhu. Above all, a sacrifice must be performed.

Lines – intertwining paths and fates that all of us walk upon and have. Menkhu are said to be the only ones, who have enough wisdom to divine these paths and only they have the right to interfere with them.

Oinon – a wise man.

Olghoi – a derisive expression of some sort.

Shabnak-Adyr - a monster out of a Fable, it is said that this creature came from the Steppe and is the cause of the Sand Fever that is currently plaguing this town. A female man-eater, sculpted out of clay and bones of the Earth.

Tauro - metallic signs that the Odonkhe use to mark the cattle. Each Tauro has a particular meaning, and various tauro are used for demarcation of various sorts of things. A specific Tauro was left for Artemiy in his father's legacy but the investigation in its meaning has stalled on the third day due to the absence of the Elder of the Order.

"Udurg" - not much is known about this concept yet, although "talking with udurgs" was mentioned as one of the skills available to menkhu. Artemiy seems to believe that the uknown Tauro he received from his father has something to do with an udurg.

HellishWhiskers fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Sep 10, 2014

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

That's a great explanation of key terms, thanks for that.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

HellishWhiskers posted:

The Glossary Post

That's really useful. Thanks, HellishWhiskers. There's lots I didn't understand before -- what Suok actually was, or where it was; that the Butchers are related to the Odonkhe, &c &c.

Much appreciated.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Found the thread, backed the kickstarter, caught up. Loving it so far.

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl
The tally is 4 to 3 for truth and I'll close it in about 24 hours or so.

In other news, I had a dream where some guy was trying really hard to convince me that Dankovsky is a horrible person. It was weird.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Lie then :twisted:

Gatac
Apr 22, 2008

Fifty Cent's next biopic.
You must lie.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Tell the truth.

I don't think I already voted, and waking early and feeling sick seems the right time to make decisions for this game.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
The Rat Prophet doesn't seem like the most trustworthy of people, but then again who does. It's better to lie to Klara about her powers for now, before we learn more of what's the story behind her.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Lie like a rug.

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012

HellishWhiskers posted:

The tally is 4 to 3 for truth and I'll close it in about 24 hours or so.

In other news, I had a dream where some guy was trying really hard to convince me that Dankovsky is a horrible person. It was weird.

Clearly the person in your dream was right. :smug:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

HellishWhiskers posted:

I think you've been playing the game too long. It's starting to intrude on reality.

Does this get you the secret ending?

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Regarding the glossary and the way different LPs have spelled the terms differently:

Imagine you're a historian reading accounts from travelers who have all visited a certain obscure part of the world. All travelers come from different countries, and they spoke to different locals at different times. Of course they'll spell the names differently, and you're gonna have to piece it together :D That is more or less what's happening here.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Lie to Klara. Klara 2: The Revenge seems like she already knows.

Well, if possible, say "he said that you are a miracle worker and can heal disease just by believing you can" which is true, but not the complete truth.

Which I suppose is still a lie.

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl

Glazius posted:

Lie to Klara. Klara 2: The Revenge seems like she already knows.

Well, if possible, say "he said that you are a miracle worker and can heal disease just by believing you can" which is true, but not the complete truth.

Which I suppose is still a lie.

I, myself, took this little sidequest as the Haruspex being given a possibility to decide which Klara is going to be which, based on what I know from the Impostress Scenario. Do you want the Klara 2: The Klarening, who seems to be a bit more competent and brash, to be the healer or do you want her to be the disease to be chased away by the other Klara, who, at least right now, seems all the way out of sorts and desperate.

That's pretty much the reason why I wrote the Klara 2: The Impostress Boogaloo as "knowing" about what the choice entails. The whole thing is, more or less, a throwback to the stuff a player might know from Impostress playthrough - which is why I decided to make this a community choice because that is the playthrough most people reading this are probably familiar with.

Anywho, Lie won, update will be up sometime tomorrow.

HellishWhiskers fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Sep 9, 2014

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl
Chapter Six – Part 2

The decision wasn't a particularly easy one, but, on the other hand, it wasn't too momentous. Artemiy seemed to worry too much about it that's all.

Cheery sights before Artemiy's eyes didn't help matters too much, either.

Telling the little girlie the truth would, most likely destroy any hope that she has left in her little heart. Whatever powers she has must have been useful to the folk in the Town, so far. Destroying that would be at least irresponsible at this point in juncture.

Besides, something told Artemiy that lying to Klara was simply the right choice, and he felt the need to abide by that.

Soon enough, Artemiy was at the Willow, ready to deliver one of his first major lies in this Town.

Coming close to Klara seems to have induced another episode of lightheartedness that was, so far, only produced by coming in contact with the Sand Fever. Funny, that.

Oh, such misfortune...

Hush. I've spoken with the Rat.

You have? What did he say? Tell me!

You are a supernatural being, Klara. You serve the Forces of good.

Oh dear... Can it be... You didn't lie to me, have you? Is it possible that he is lying?

You asked, and I answered. What more do you want?

Oh, don't mind me! I'm quite grateful to you, Burakh

If you're grateful, then try and help more people – not everyone in this Town has the powers you do.

I'll try – I'll do it even if I have to see her over and over again!

Good – that's all I can ask of you...

The Impostress is looking for an answer

What's done is done. It's up to her to decide now – I'm not sure she fully believed me, anyway. It seems to me that, for now, our paths diverge, although this won't be the last time we exchange words.

Strange bit of business all this has been – not much to be done to help it, though, but to leave it behind and move on to the more pertinent stuff. It was time to visit the Apiary.

The “Land” seems to have been ravaged by the disease time and time again in the last couple of days. Indeed, it was the site of the first infected district. Was there something that attracted disease here?

The Land's maze-like streets seemed desolate as well – even after disease left, people were still reluctant to return here. Was this desolation the eventual fate of the Town?

Soon enough, Artemiy arrived closer to the towering structure of the Apiary. It looked as cumbersome and filthy as ever.

If the other Klara's words were true, then what awaited him inside wasn't pretty in any sense of the word. Still, he heard of terrible conditions that the Order lived in before, although he didn't know the reasons, because of which the Steppe folk agreed to live in such conditions.

The blockade still seemed to be in place, but, for some strange reason, the patrolmen did nothing to impede his entrance. It was as if he was expected.

Track 13 – The Apiary

The ambiance was quite hellish, to say the least. The space was cramped and filthy and the interior smelled of death. A very cheery place indeed – how could anyone live in these conditions was beyond Artemiy.

It took Artemiy some time to find this stairway – all other paths he tried were barricaded.

It was an exceedingly long climb up – four or five floors. It was quite tiring and the constant moans of the diseased Steppe folk living here didn't help alleviate this fatigue. Finally, Artemiy found an exit out of this stairwell.

Three butchers... There seemed to be someone hiding behind one of them, though.

Was this the Mother Superior? This little girl was four years old, at most... Yet she, apparently, wielded the most power in the Order. Curious.

It's good that you've come to us in this hour, Servitor. Did you bring the ascorbic tablets?

Ascorbic tablets? What ascorbic tablets? What are you talking about?

Yellow tablets that burn the liver but keep the infection at bay. Don't you know? What did they teach you in the big city?

I see... I think I get it...

I need fifty ascorbic tablets. Exactly fifty – five times ten. I need them so that those who go inside don't get sick. Do that for me, and I will shower you with my grace.

I need a bull, Mother.

I don't have one right now. They've deprived me of my wondrous cows – white, silvery, red-eared, black-eyed and gentle. They've deprived me of my bulls with steel horns, with brass, stone and jasper hooves. I can tell you where to find another bull, though...

I see what you're driving at... Still – what is going on here?

I, myself, live in the Long Housing section – it's on the opposite side of the Apiary. Understand? I haven't been here yet, and I absolutely need to go upstairs! I won't go alone, though – someone has to carry me there, so I don't stub my toes. My servants, the kind children of Bodkho, need protection too!

Why do you want to go up there exactly?

To lead out everyone who's healthy, understand? A lot of them aren't sick yet. They won't go anywhere without me – they're terrified.

I see. There are other tablets out there, though – better ones.

How so?

They don't burn you as much.

If they don't burn you as much, then they don't help as much either. It hurts only because the disease in you is suffering. Bring me the ascorbic tablets!

Very well...

Bull's Blood

Tychik's daughter wants me to gather 50 yellow tablets of ascorbic acid for her butchers. She doesn't want any other tablets – they only believe in the ascorbic ones.

Artemiy sighed – this meant hunting around Town for barely useful tablets when Artemiy still had some left over from two days ago – the ones that Bachelor gave him. He hasn't seen the yellow tablets for a while either, and even stopped gathering them ages ago. He decided to check his knapsack nonetheless.

It was in quite a bit of disarray – various bits of medicine, ampules all lying about in a giant blood covered mess – one of the tubes of blood must have cracked somewhere. Artemiy checked one of the smaller side pockets and, to his great surprise, he found five packs of yellow tablets neatly stashed away – ten tablets in each, of course.

Amid all disorder, there they were waiting for their hour. When did Artemiy prepare these? Prepare was the right word – they were prepared beforehand with a very clear purpose in mind... Still, this was all quite helpful – it saved him quite a bit of legwork, however strange it was.

Before Artemiy would turn these over to Taya, he would ask her some questions that she might know the answers to.

You miss the old grandpa Isidore?

Very much. Mother – do you know the meaning of the “udurg” tauro?

“Udurg” tauro... This was odd – the word flew out of Artemiy's mouth on its own, without him understanding the implication properly.

A little bit. I've seen such signs before. It must be something very-very-very-very-very big! Maybe it's a mountain?

No...

Maybe it's Earth?

I doubt that...

Odd... maybe it's the people?

Do you know or are you just guessing?

I don't know my ABCs very well. They haven't taught me yet. I do know that it's something very-very big or something very important. Don't you see this angle?

Is it something alive?

I think so – don't you see the horns?

Can someone else tell me more about this tauro?

Only a servitor can. It's sad that we don't have any menkhu left. They've all died. All the knowledgeable odonkhe left for the Steppe – they're getting ready for an important celebration...

Quite a shame that... In any case – here are the ascorbic tablets. Fifty, as ordered.

She turned to her butchers in giddy excitement

Then, let's go! Let's go! Quickly! We've lost a lot of time! And you, Servitor – listen to me. When you exit here, go past the Long Section and go straight towards the Abattoir. Exit out into the Steppe and keep going past the Abattoir. Do you know where Ragha's Mound is?

No...

Go past the Maw – those are the big gates through which the bulls exit into the Steppe. Go a bit further and you'll see a tall mound.

I see – what will I find there?

Odonkhe will bring out a bull. I'll tell the worms to listen to you. Prove to them that you are you and then do what you want with the bull.

How am I supposed to prove that I am me?

They'll ask you some simple questions. Who knows, maybe you don't know what to do with bulls after all? Maybe you'll offend him or taint him... No – a proof is necessary...

What questions will they ask me?

Something about bulls, I think... What else would they care about, anyway?

Very well – I'll figure something out. Thanks, Mother.

Bull's Blood

Worms are preparing a bull for a sacrifice at Ragha's Mound, between the Abattoir and the cemetery.

It wasn't too far from the Apiary and, for once, Artemiy didn't have to wade through infected districts to get there – a rare gift nowadays.

In all the commotion about the tablets and the Tauro, Artemiy forgot to ask Taya about the reasons behind the Order's living conditions. He doubted that she would be able to answer them, either – someone like Vlad Olgimsky Sr. would likely know more - not that he would tell, of course.

Like Taya said that must be the entrance into the Long Housing section of the Apiary. Artemiy secretly hoped that he wouldn't have to go in there any time soon – the conditions there probably aren't pretty, either.

For the first time in many days, the realities of the Town began to get to him. It became increasingly clear to him that the Town had a number of things wrong with it prior to the Disease's rampage. It was rotten to the core, with the treatment of the Order being only one of the things to showcase that fact.

This was the Maw that Taya mentioned – Artemiy has only been here a couple of times during the last six days. This place didn't quite sit right with Artemiy – the unnatural warmth coming from the Maw was very strong and rather disturbing, considering what was going on inside.

It took Artemiy a bit more walking, but, soon enough, he saw the fog break by a large mound of Earth with makeshift stairs leading to its top.

It suddenly occurred to Artemiy that he didn't know who or what was the namesake of this mound. Ragha? He has never heard of such an entity. Must be one of the minor gods of the Order or something – he'd have to look into it while he's learning the meaning of the Tauro.

The Worms stared at him expectantly – Artemiy was in the right place.

We called for a Burakh and a Burakh came. Open this bull up for us.

Nobody called for me – I came of my own volition.

The Worms, admittedly, didn't seem to be interested in finer details.

Do you want to open this bull up for us or no?

Fine. Yes. I will.

Have you brought us the broth, the seed of Suokh, so that you can feed him before the rite?

The seed of Suokh? What do you mean?

Are you asking us? Do you not know, where the Fear, Iron and the Wheel came from?

I do.

Then tell us.

Boos Turokh expunged the Fear out of himself in order to vomit out his pain. Boos Turokh made the Iron out of his horns in order to form the Law and bind Suokh forever in his belly. Boos Turokh, with his thought, created the Wheel so that everything will always return to its source.

Artemiy knew a lot more about the ways of the Order than he was, sometimes, willing to tell. This knowledge extended far beyond any help that Klara provided with her tale.

You told it well. You are a true oinon. Feed him the broth, give him the seed of Suokh and open him up. Free him along the lines of Rhaga.

Perhaps, Artemiy knew who Rhaga was after all – he simply wasn't interested in informing the others about it.

Artemiy shuffled about in his knapsack before pulling out a kidney sealed in a polyethylene bag – a fresh infected specimen he thoughtfully picked up from one of the corpses in the “Heart” district. He handed it to the Worms, who began their rite immediately.

After the Worms made an incision, a strange thing occurred – Artemiy heard his father's whispers once more. They were very quiet and far-away, but they seemed to say the same thing they did in the Rat Prophet's tunnels. Quite a strange occurrence and not an easily explainable one.

Throughout this process, Artemiy didn't question why exactly the bull was being sacrificed – he did need the blood, of course, but it could've been procured without killing the bull. The Worms clearly pursued a goal of their own – something akin to what butchers were trying to do yesterday?

Still, it seemed like quite a waste, with bulls being rare nowadays. Regardless, Artemiy had what he came here for.

Since the trek back to Dankovsky wasn't exceedingly long, Artemiy elected to not muck about with silly things such as journals. He headed straight towards his goal.

The Worms were still on the mound, chanting something unintelligible in the Order's tongue. Was their rite going to be effective? Only tomorrow would tell...

The same notion applied to Artemiy and Daniil's experiments, as well. The unfortunate truth of it was that Dankovsky was quite skeptical of this undertaking.

If one were to throw in the other Klara's musings into the mix, one would get a rather gloomy result. Still, Artemiy had to try – there was nothing else to be done but this.

As always, the Sand Fever was quite unhappy to let Artemiy just sit in the neat little bastion of his thoughts – it was intent on letting its presence and dominion be known. This time, Artemiy did manage to evade the “Angel”, though it took quite a bit of sprinting to outpace it.

Artemiy's thoughts turned, once more, to this inquisitor that was arriving tomorrow. The Government of this country wasn't know for its kindness and he is bound to wield a terrible power indeed.

Someone was bound to pay for the disarray, in which this Town currently was. One of the ruling families, most likely – the Saburovs, perhaps? They were at the forefront of combating this epidemic and they've clearly failed miserably.

The more concerning prospects, however, were the ones regarding himself. Even if Artemiy cleared his name, he was still known as the Ripper. This inquisitor would surely be swift to dole out justice, and Artemiy could be one of the first people to taste it if he'd make a wrong move. Tomorrow was going to be a hard day.

Artemiy needed to stop this habit of letting gloomy thoughts be his roadside companions. At the very least, it made for a depressing read.

What sort of damned creature is transmitting this disease everywhere – that is what I'm interested in the most...

I've brought you Bull's blood.

Well then – let's see...

Once again, Bachelor took to the microscope

Well?

Ah... I see now why the bulls don't get sick. Their antibodies don't destroy the bacteria, but they block it and don't let it spread. It seems that after a certain amount of time, it dies. Hell – even if it doesn't die it still fails to kill the bull... Perhaps, it assimilates...

What sort of conclusion can we draw from all this?

In an ideal world, you'd need a hybrid of a man and a bull. Human antibodies can destroy this abomination, while the bull ones will keep it from spreading.

Such a creature doesn't exist...

That is, indeed, where the problem lies, unfortunately... You're quite unlucky – just as I am...

Perhaps, it can be synthesized in laboratory conditions? Take some tissue from a bull, some tissue from a human and combine it?

We could try it, yes, but Rubin has gone off somewhere again... I'd need him to get the samples. If he shows up, I'll give it a try. I'll let you know about the result.

Thanks... I'll be waiting...

Bull's Blood

It seems that trying to make a panacea out of an animal has proven unsuccessful. Tomorrow will be the decisive day that will put everything in its place... Still, I have a bad feeling. It seems that Bachelor is sure that his attempts at synthesis will fail...

Consumed by gloomy notions, what Artemiy sorely needed was a nap – a nap that he got right then and there. Bachelor was leaving – going out on his own business, no doubt – so the bed was free and Artemiy had time to kill.

When Artemiy woke up three hours later, Bachelor was back and busy at his table. Not much changed, except Artemiy seemed to have a new letter waiting for him.

Victor Kain's Invitation

The true thief of Simon's body has been found. He arrived here – to the “Horns” - today with a confession. Our family wants to make amends with You. I hope that You will understand our feelings if You'll try and recall Your own emotions when You have found out about the patriarch of Your family's death.

From now on, we will turn against anyone who dares to call You a Ripper.

Come – don't hold a grudge against us. It's best that we get to know each other better.

With penitence and respect,

Victor Kain

A strange, bombastic letter that seemed to try to apologize and seduce at once. Still, Artemiy didn't have much else to do and the “Horns” were quite close, so why not go and see what they have to say for themselves?

His destination was right there, to the right, but Artemiy decided to go on a bit further...

Over the last six days, Artemiy heard much about this monument to defiance. People were afraid of it, worshiped it and heaped all their hopes and dreams onto its nonexistent foundation. The Polyhedron.

Artemiy wanted to ascend its stairs and see what was at the top, but something told him that this was neither the time nor the place for it. He'd see the full glory and folly of this structure - in due time, of course.

There was some sort of a commotion down the street – a commotion Artemiy wanted nothing to do with.

From the outside, the house looked quite spartan. Knowing Kains, however, the same couldn't be expected of the interior.

The house seemed to be about as richly decorated as the Olgimsky residence, but there was a palpably darker ambiance to it. It seems that Kains wanted to live up to their reputation.

Victor didn't seem to notice Artemiy yet – he was a bit lost in thought.

He did, however, get up when Artemiy approached him.

We have been alarmed by the rumours of a provocation that is being prepared. Is this why you've come?

No. You've sent me a letter, remember?

Victor seemed rather focused on this one particular issue – it's clear that he wrote the letter only in order to get Artemiy's help in the matter.

A procession made up of the diseased folk was supposed to come to the graveyard in order to perform the rites before the sacred gravestones. Now, we have received the news that those murderous arsonists are planning to attack the pilgrims. Have you heard anything about that?

No – I haven't.

I do hope that those are just rumours...

Victor was trying a bit too hard to evoke concern in Artemiy – something that caused Artemiy to say his next line in a very wooden, sarcastic voice.

I hope so, indeed...

Victor, however, seemed too lost in his prepared speech to notice.

My daughter also wanted to ask for your forgiveness for all the troubles our family has caused you. I think that you should talk to her. Lately, she has been the person to decide all the important matters in the family. She's becoming more and more like her mother.

Who was her mother, again?

Oh, of course – you are a recent arrival. If you haven't heard anything about my wife, the godlike Nina, then I won't be able to describe just how important she was to us in a single conversation... How much it means to us...

Victor's thoughts trailed off and the silence lasted for quite a while before Artemiy broke it...

How much what means to you?

Oh... Why, the fact that my daughter is becoming more and more like her, of course. It means that soon, a real, powerful Mistress will appear in this Town – one that will stop this pestilence with her primeval, primordial power that comes from the darkest depths of the Earth and will revive this Town for the sake of its future glory.

Well – aren't you a poet... Fine – I'll go and meet your daughter, if that is the case.

All this felt like a bad setup to use Artemiy as some sort of an errand boy. Just like on the second day, in fact...

Maria's house was located in the same housing complex, to the North of Victor's house. A short walk later, Artemiy went inside.

The house was quite a bit more lavish than Victor's – in fact, the place was the most lavishly decorated house Artemiy has seen so far.

Almost all of the paintings shared the same subject – it was unbearably narcissistic for a person such as Artemiy.

Further inside, Artemiy finally found Maria.

I'm sorry that we have been enemies for so long, Burakh. Our familial temper has caused you a great deal of discomfort.

The girl had quite the nerve...

Discomfort? Is that what you'd call it?

I'm terribly, terribly sorry. I'd like to have peace between us now. I've heard that you've performed a number of good deeds – deeds worthy of great warriors of antiquity, in fact. It is true what they've been saying about your exploits, right?

Is this some sort of joke to you? What are you implying?

Maria smiled wryly – it was, in fact, a joke.

Calm, Artemiy – calm. Our meeting has occurred at the most opportune of moments. Would you be so kind as to help me with a small matter?

A small matter? Do tell...

I've heard that a mob of angry peasants is preparing to desecrate the tombs of the Mistresses. You see – recently, I have broken Mr. Dankovskiy's moratorium and went outside to talk to my mother. Her tomb is closer to the cape – you have seen it, I presume?

What cape? What are you talking about?

I brought her a gift that time. It was a diary – a simple collection of sentimental memories. However, it is precious to me. When I was a little girl, my mother used to write letters in it for me in secret – they appeared as if out of nowhere. I thought that the little book was speaking to me...

The notion seemed insane, but it was pretty clear what Maria was trying to achieve by taking the diary to her mother's grave. Still, it wouldn't hurt to probe a bit...

Hmm... Why did you take the diary to her grave, then?

The question brought a disproportionate amount of satisfaction to Maria – she became positively giddy.

Oh, how your brow has furrowed, Burakh! Yes – you are shrewd indeed! Precisely for that purpose, yes! Let that not trouble your pretty little head, though – us Kains have a longstanding tradition of conversing with our dead. To be honest, they are quite a bit closer to the world of the living than most people think.

So that's how it is...

This diary doesn't just have a sentimental value to me, if you get my meaning... Will you bring it to me?

Artemiy had to admit that his curiosity was piqued. It was a short walk, too – it wouldn't hurt at all.

I will. For a payment.

Oh my... I didn't expect you to be quite so straightforward about it - our relationship seemed to be so chivalrous, too... Of course, I won't be left in debt. Let us also pretend that you didn't say that last remark – it's much more interesting that way.

The girl was clearly used to getting away with everything with just a wink and a smile. Damned aristocracy...

Do not toy with me, Maria.

In any case... bring me that diary, Burakh. I'm afraid that it's about to be desecrated. I don't want the diary to be damaged or, even worse, to fall into the wrong hands.

Don't trouble yourself – you'll have your diary soon enough.

Track 14 – The Bridge (Stone Yard)

Knocking at the Mistresses' doors

The young Kain is asking me to bring her her mother's diary. Mad, insane people want to burn down the Mistresses' tombs. Why? Because the Matriarch aren't taking care of the Town like they used to? I remember them – Nina and Victoria. They were simple women, not goddesses. The deceased Matriarchs won't hear them. They aren't there – they are not under the Earth.

Perhaps, it was presumptuous of Artemiy to dismiss the Mistresses' powers so handily – especially, considering the fact that Kapella – a daughter of a Mistress herself – clearly had some prophetic powers of her own.

The little that Artemiy remembered of the Triumvirate of Mistresses' rule didn't present a compelling evidence for the Mistresses' mystical nature. Everything that was ascribed to them could, just as easily, be ascribed to the mass hysteria that occurred so frequently in this Town – especially back in those days.

A short hop, skip and a jump later, and Artemiy found the crypt he was looking for. Dark Marble – quite fitting indeed.

The interior was dark, cramped and disturbingly void-like – for all its small space, it felt expansive, as if it threatened to consume whoever was inside. Artemiy decided not to dawdle here.

Artemiy didn't venture to read beyond the first couple of pages, although what he did read was quite disturbing – disturbing enough that Artemiy threw it out of his mind upon reading it posthaste.

I can return to Maria now. She is the one who knows everything about where the mysterious powers of the Town, to which the mad arsonists are calling, are located. That is the truth of it.

Upon exiting, Artemiy stumbled into a pair of arsonists flinging petrol bombs at a trio of infected persons.

Since Artemiy had the drop on them, the fight was a short one – Artemiy was glad to perform a public service, for once.

The sick folks were quite grateful and orderly, having, seemingly, completed their pilgrimages. There was still a matter of getting back to the infected districts without being hassled by the patrolmen, but Artemiy left that to them.

Artemiy didn't run into any more trouble on the way back.

For all her flamboyant scheming, Maria was still a dangerous player in the games of intrigue. Artemiy, for all his annoyance with the girl, made sure not to underestimate her. Because of this, Artemiy didn't hold any illusions about this peace offering of Kains.

A halfhearted peace is better than a hearty quarrel. Isn't that right, Burakh?

What's true is true... I've found this in the Tomb.

Oh, thank you! Burakh – you have done a great service for me! Let me reward you for your troubles and for the danger that you've went through for, obviously, my sake!

She winked slyly, as if chuckling at her own “wit”. Artemiy had nothing to do but to take his reward – a small, by today's margin, amount of coins – and leave.

A curious woman, this Maria... Formidable, but charming at the same time... For someone like her, ruling is a birthright. One look from her, and one could willingly walk to his death or to the ends of the earth... Something about her reminded me of the little Kapella...

It seemed that meddling in the affairs of the Mistresses was an occupation reserved only for the most foolhardy people in this Town, and Artemiy was the foolhardiest of them all. With this little episode, his day was done – the rest of it would be devoted to his less extravagant activities.

Today, he would sift his Father's notes in search of any mentions of a mythical creature that would resemble a hybrid of a human and a bull. Would he find such a mention? No – of course not. It wasn't the time for it – not quite yet.

HellishWhiskers fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Sep 10, 2014

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl
Threw in a bit of a note on Tauro in the glossary since it has been pretty prominent this update and will likely be important in the future.

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:
I have to say I was a little leery about your added flavor text. I was worried they would override the actual game text, but I find myself really enjoying the LP. So keep on trucking.

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl

A Curvy Goonette posted:

I have to say I was a little leery about your added flavor text. I was worried they would override the actual game text, but I find myself really enjoying the LP. So keep on trucking.

I'd love folks to tell me if it gets too dumb and/or overbearing, especially since I'm planning to ramp up the forth-wall-breakey aspects of it in the coming days due to the fact that the game's proclivity for doing so will be ramping up as well fairly soon.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

I like Maria. Such a hateable scumbag.

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.

HellishWhiskers posted:

I'd love folks to tell me if it gets too dumb and/or overbearing, especially since I'm planning to ramp up the forth-wall-breakey aspects of it in the coming days due to the fact that the game's proclivity for doing so will be ramping up as well fairly soon.

You've been doing really well, by and large! I couldn't personally stand to read the Impostress LP, since it felt too much like someone was writing their own story there and completely overrunning the story that was already present. Your stuff is linking the events together that we see without just totally taking over- I feel like I am reading about Pathologic, instead of a story someone based around some screenshots of it. Keep it up!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Is there anything like an inventory limit in this game? Or can you just stuff your pockets full of medicine and never worry?

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl
The Reader - Nina Kain, the Dark Mistress

In that time when the Town was ruled by Nina Kain, those who have grown unaccustomed to monarchy and, more importantly, to the primeval magic, saw, both with jubilation and horror, how a demonic queen can truly rule. It seemed as though a figure of a goddess with a crown of smooth dark hair was floating over the Town, enveloping herself in clouds, like a colossal statue of an ancient mistress. They said that she can do anything and everything. They said that at night, clad in her true guise – tall as the sky, thin as the branch of a willow and terrible as the lightning – she walked the streets of the Town and, with a shrug of her majestic white shoulders, she took that which belonged to her by right and gave, with a godlike generosity, that which could not, under any imaginable circumstance, belong to a human being.

They used to say that and they say that still. Now, even when fifteen years have passed and her biography is the domain of history and folk's tale, it is time to take a sober look at Nina's image and separate fact from fiction. Where is the truth here?

The truth, most likely, lies in the fact that Nina, in the shortest amount of time, has shaken to the core both minds and souls of people, who are, by nature, not prone to unfounded exaltation. The truth lies in the fact that she was strikingly beautiful – even the most picky of judges would admit her appearance to be both absolutely exquisite and demonic at once. Powerful angles of her graceful hands, milky skin, eyes that were darker than Darkness itself, a queenly stature, the perverse shape of her pale, ever bitten lips – the truth lies in the fact that the people's memory has empowered her personage with the traits that would be sought for by the most exquisite of tyrants and the most enlightened of emperors.

What is curious, however, is the following – everyone called her a witch, despite the fact that Nina has never produced and example of an unusual or a supernatural deed. In essence, she was not able to perform anything “special” or “magical”. She didn't throw bolts of lightning, didn't perform any parlour tricks, was unable to stop enemy legions with a wave of a hand and neither did she turn iron into gold. However, surely there was something there, right? People's memory, after all, is the most sober of historians. You can't bribe it or trick it with premeditated falsehoods. It begs the question, then - what was it?

This woman exuded a very particular sort of energy – energy that allowed her to create that, which, well, was impossible to create. When one was near her, that which seemed impossible under any circumstances seemed – and was – possible! In addition, this energy was very strong within her indeed – it was as if it was shooting out of her, akin to a pillar of flame that rose out of her darkest depths into the sky, pressured by an exceedingly strong force. This pillar was so strong that it was almost palpable. Unable to properly capture this feeling, the people created a legend of a Mistress of a giant stature that was toying with the Town as if it was a set of tesserae. That is precisely how the Mistress Nina is encapsulated in the children' drawings of that time. Exaltation, inspiration, a fierce joy and passion – these feelings would always occupy the space where Nina was present. That is where her bewitching power would lie.

It's not accidental that she fit into the family of Kains so easily. Kains, with their inclination towards daring, brave and dangerous experimentation and an unwillingness to accept any laws, including the laws of physics and history, became a true family for her. Their prowess in ruling as an unseen Force and regulating the flow, waves and storms of public opinion, had presented her with a great amount of opportunities. Nina took the Town into her warm hands, warmed it, compressed it into a lump of obedient clay, mashed it and began sculpting out of it a duchy of her dreams.

Of course, amid all of this, she evoked a great outpouring of love! Her passion was, indeed, very infectious – her stern eyes were secretly aflame with a manic joy that, however, was not reflected in neither her mimic nor her actions. Nina, with her personality, presented an archetype that is, nowadays, very much presented in Maria – she produced an impression of absolute composure, self-control and complete sanity while, admittedly, committing insane actions.

From another source

“... During all that time when Nina was the Mistress of the House of Kains, she gripped the Town in fear. Paradoxically, that is where lies the reason for an unexplainable outbreak of love towards Kains that took place in the recent fears – when compared to Nina, all other members of the Kain family looked like entirely normal human beings. Nina maimed and destroyed hundreds of lives – families fell apart and houses were destroyed all because of her. Those, whom she did not consider to be her equals were akin to ants to her. When Nina was bored – something that occurred quite frequently – she conducted herself not unlike Dracula in Valakhia – that is, she took a walk around the Town and, if she saw any situation that might pique her interest then she would solve it in accordance with her own perception of justice. She would easily take away a beautiful child from a stupid mother and give him to the Elder of the Abbatoir so that he could raise him as an odonkhe or a scout of the Steppe. She could wander into the house and order the most precious of things to be shown to her – if the owners of the house would try to hide something from her, she would immediately execute the liars. The people, surprisingly enough, tolerated this state of affairs. Nina was accepted as a beautiful and terrible guardian of the Town that was to be sated by the means of blood sacrifices. When Nina finally died everyone took a sigh of relief, even if they continued to treat her with a now greater sort of piety – perhaps, because now, in addition to all her aforementioned qualities, she was also quite dead."

HellishWhiskers fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Oct 12, 2014

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl
I've added yet another appendix section that will be updated irregularly - The Reader

These are little world-building articles that were present on Pathologic's old russian website that has now been usurped by the website for the remake. There were six or seven of them and they weren't particularly long, but they provided an interesting sort of flavour and I hope I'll manage to find all of them before they are gone completely off the face of the internet.

I've also updated the list of characters to include the new folks we've met on the sixth day.

Glazius posted:

Is there anything like an inventory limit in this game? Or can you just stuff your pockets full of medicine and never worry?

There is an inventory limit - 12 slots for five categories - "Weapons", "Clothes", "Food", "Drugs" and "Other" each. You usually have enough slots to not worry about it most of the time, unless you are Haruspex - mostly because the "Other" section gets a bit cluttered with all the cuttings. Almost makes one wish that you could put all that stuff into the "Food" category.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
And whenever an NPC gives you an item you don't have the space for, it's plopped on the ground in a form of a sack. It's below your field of view of course, so you WILL run off, probably leaving a key item behind. This caused so many livestreamer tears.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
That scene with Artemiy walking up to the bull on the mound is great. The imagery is primeval and the whole situation is pregnant with feelings of dread and destiny.

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl
Chapter Seven – Part 1

Various bits of research that Artemiy undertook bore no fruit, and, closer to the evening, Artemiy called his sixth day in the Town a day and went to rest.

REEL 7: Insquisitor's Arrival

There were, as usual, letters waiting for Artemiy when he awoke. He grabbed the first one that was written in Daniil's characteristic handwriting.

Results of the Analysis and the synthesis of bull's and human blood.

The bulls are able to get sick. The antibodies in bulls' blood block the Sand Fever microbes and stop them from multiplying. Human antibodies are able to destroy these microbes, but can't do so in time to stop the disease from reaching the critical stage.

I will attempt to combine them – doing so will take all night. Perhaps, there'll be a result, but I don't have a very good feeling about this.

Not much new information here, aside from the fact that the bulls can actually get sick. Is it possible for them to be carriers for the disease? That seems probable and can have dangerous consequences, if true. He grabbed the next letter – a slightly torn page, sealed in an official-looking envelope.

Diaries of Isidore Burakh. Excerpt on predetermination.[pg.29]

“She hurries towards me, overtaking the wind, and, on the way, she gathers the fragile fingers, weaves the thin bones and stretches out the flexible joints. Her black face has no eye sockets, her white face has no nostrils. Both of her heads will never agree on anything.”

Thus speaks “The Saga”.

I think that I will manage to do enough before her shabnak rises out of the earth at least up to its ankles.

[V] – the only one who must survive no matter the cost. I dearly hope that I can manage to make enough broth to feed its giant carcass in time!

The [V] rears its head once more. If this was truly the udurg, like Artemiy thought it was, then this letter only gave rise to more questions. Just how large was it, and how exactly would the “Dead Broth” that never managed to completely heal someone of the infection would save it?

More questions and no answers – business as usual. It was past midnight, and that meant that it was time to get more answerless question at the Theater.

The page from his father's diary gave rise to another curious possibility – it seemed to confirm the Rat Prophet's words about Klara in an indirect way.

Two faces of the disease that never agree with each other? Sounds like a pair of disease-carrying doppelgangers to me... It was also curious how Isidore referred to the coming of the disease as the arrival of “her shabnak”. Was Shabnak-Adyr supposed to be the avatar of the disease of some sort? If so, then Klara fit the bill completely. Not a great prospect – someone is ought to do something about the girl...

Seeking out the girl again was not something in Artemiy's plans, though – he had quite enough on his plate as it was. He did, however, have time for a little sideshow. The Theatre was getting a bit cramped, considering that it has been re-purposed as a morgue in the recent days, but there was still room for a performance.

Today, a certain someone got almost tied to a post! I have managed to avoid an execution only through a miracle! I have been valiantly saved by the Bachelor.

The voice was a little girl's – it was fairly clear whom this Tragedian was playing...

Unbelievable – the Sand Fever isn't a human, that much has been proven. One has to ask, though – what is the source? It's clear that it is all connected to this girl somehow...

You can run from anyone, even from the Inquisitor's ire, but you won't escape yourself. The Earth Sister is breathing down your neck...

Two old voices from before – one calm and the other harsh. Artemiy couldn't see them, but they sounded like Executors would...

What is there to do, then?

It seems, as though the entire world is against me! There is no escaping from this noose! Is there no way to escape the execution?

Ah, the shrill fellow is back, too... Artemiy was starting to come to the conclusion that this was the Masks' exaggerated interpretation of the Bachelor... Still, if that was Daniil, then who was supposed to be Artemiy?

Calm...

No moaning, now!

One can remain a weapon or he can become a rebel.

It's simply a matter of free choice... Marionettes are free to roam around calmly – it is a real man's lot to convulse in a noose.

It seems that the harsher fellow was not above a cruel joke at the Bachelor's expense.

REEL 8: Masks' Nightly Attraction – Night Six

Big on style, but lacking in substance – quite as usual. It was time to grab today's map from Notkin.

A hop, skip and a jump and Artemiy was there. Nothing new for Notkin yet again, although the kid raised the price of the map up to 2000 coins, the scoundrel.

That was somewhat understandable, though, considering that the disease was spreading exponentially and must have been taking its tolls on the scouts.

It was fairly close to morning by now, and Artemiy decided that he might as well begin heading to Dankovsky to ask him about the results of his night's work.

Even if there was only disappointment to be found, Artemiy was sure that, between them, the two wise healers will figure something out.

Artemiy was also curious to hear what Daniil had to say about this Inquisitor. His arrival was bound to cause a great deal of upheaval in the Town and will surely influence the healers' work greatly.

A nice little aphorism Daniil had there - belonging to Francois de La Rochefoucauld, to be exact. Artemiy wasn't sure whether Bachelor wanted to pass off these words as his own or simply couldn't be bothered to source his words. Still, men in positions similar to Bachelor's look quite silly when they spout deeply meaningful expressions with a raised brow.

Well – it's time to say farewell. I don't know if we'll see each other again, Burakh. It seems that we both have suffered a defeat. You weren't able to make a panacea, and I have nothing to soothe the inquisitor. For me, that is akin to suicide. I'm walking to the Cathedral not unlike how one walks up to a guillotine.

The Bachelor was gloomier than Artemiy expected him to be.

On what basis would the Inquisitor deprive you of your life?

The Inquisitor has no power over me, although, technically, the Inquisitors have power over everyone. This Authority needs no lawful precision – if an Inquisitor wants to kill, then he will kill. If he wants to remove you from the face of this Earth, then he will. They know how, after all... That's not what I meant, though....

What did you mean, then?

I have decided that if I am unable to return with a victory, then I will put a bullet in my head with this revolver right then and there. I've been chased into a corner. I can't look in the eyes of those, whom I've failed to protect. For my allies, there is only prison or exile and for my research – only fire.

The Bachelor was, indeed, becoming more and more akin to the likeness assigned to him by the Theater.

What is keeping you from the victory, then?

I still haven't managed to find the source of the disease. The infection resurfaces over and over and over again. This must be someone's will. I was unable to find the carrier – moreover, it doesn't even seem to be a question of time. I don't think that this is even a person's doing.

Quite strange indeed – the things that I've encountered have also led me to believe something similar...

That's the truth, isn't it? How many beings that aren't human still play a human role in our lives! We've haven't managed to find this creature, too – a hybrid of a bull and a man... Mythology seems to have preserved such a being for us, but not nature. It doesn't exist in our reality.

You said that you could try your hand at synthesis?

No... It's hopeless – I wouldn't manage to try without Rubin, anyway...

Daniil didn't even try? His fatalism was clearly getting the better of him...

What happened to Rubin, anyway?

Yesterday, he gave himself to the Kains' mercy. I don't know, whether he was relying on Victor's generosity or Georgiy's sobriety, but it was Maria who was sitting on the throne. I don't know the details of theirs meeting, but I haven't seen or heard of Rubin ever since.

It seems that, now, my last duty is the duty of my Father. Whom did he swear to save upon the honor of his lineage? I still don't know...

Artemiy was thinking out loud, not that the Bachelor would care too much right now...

My... have you actually grown desperate? Whoever this mysterious patient is, he can only be saved with a panacea – if it's not too late, that is... So many people have died these days...

I have to go to the Abattoir, to meet the Elder.

Abattoir is a forbidden territory. You won't get there unless you get the Inquisitor's permission. Nowadays, all the matters relating to fighting the epidemic – and even all other important matters, to be honest – are curated by the Inquisitor.

I'll find some way around that...

Even without that, you'd still need to get a permission to perform any further activities – it's best that you try to do so as early as possible, too. If the word of your “fame” comes sooner than you do, then...Well, it's best that you come there of your own volition. Preempt the deceitful rumours and let it be know that you are opening up the dead for a good cause.

Are you coming too?

Yes, but not with you. You should go – I still have to gather my thoughts. By the way, Burakh – I'm really glad that we did not have time to become enemies! Good luck to you.

Good luck to you too, Oinon.

However cheerful Dankovsky tried to make his last phrase sound, there was a strange note of bitterness to it. This whole conversation was quite unsettling, too – something was about to change, irrevocably so - I'm sure of it...

Hybrid of a Bull and a Man.

It's worth it to explain my intentions to the Inquisitor before malicious witnesses do that for me. I should get an audience with her as fast as possible.

It was a very short walk away from Dankovsky's residence, so Artemiy wasted no time. When he left Eva Yan's house, however, the clock tolled 7 AM.

Day 7, which, for Haruspex, a fatal – that is, fateful and decisive – day.

Somehow, it felt like a fateful day, too. A lot of things seemed like they were about to change.

The Cathedral's doors were quite heavy – it took Artemiy some effort to open them.

Well, this is a strange sight.

Why would the inquisitor dress up as an Executor? Artemiy wanted to ask the fellow on the sideline before addressing the main personage.

Kindly address all your questions to the elders, good sir. I hold no office here. I'm merely, if one could say so, an ornamental element.

Are you an extra or something?

Yes. I'm simply luckier than you, that's all...

Yeah, well – I have more chances to survive than you do...

Perhaps that is where this extra was luckier than Artemiy... He turned to the main Executor on the throne.

Oh my! Take a look at who graced us with his presence! Could it be Haruspex, the premiere comedian of the Town?

Oh? What have I done to deserve such a welcome?

You would say that you don't deserve it? Look, at least, at how you walk and remember the deeds that you've done!

As if you've seen the things I've done...

Who knows, who knows...

Well, - at least, if I'm the premiere comedian, then you are a reserve one.

Artemiy didn't come here to entertain individuals with highly punchable masks, however.

Who knows about that one, too... Why have you come?

I need the Inquisitor.

You are hereby informed that her grace has personally embarked on a scouting mission in the Apiary, preferring not to trust the emissaries and their exaggerated reports and wanting to see the site of the tragedy herself. She also wanted to meet the little personage who calls herself the Mother Superior, of course.

That sure was comprehensive there, buddy.

Inquisitor is investigating the crimes of the rulers in the Apiary. I wonder what did the Order tell her about me? I should ask Tychik's daughter about it.

The trek wasn't the easiest one, but it's one that Artemiy made before.

If this whole situation meant that he would have to go on a wild goose chase after the Inquisitor all over the Town, Artemiy was going to be pissed.

The smarmy Executors didn't help the matters too much, either – who did they think they were? A bunch of louts playing dress-up on a suicide mission. Granted, a situation like that might make one irreverent of pleasantries, but, surely, some tact surely must be maintained, still!

Of course, Artemiy shouldn't be too surprised – getting snarked at by the Executors was how this whole thing began.

They are a small fish, anyway, so there isn't much use getting mad at them. Still, seething is pretty much the most of what Artemiy did on the way to the Apiary – at least, it would have been if Artemiy hadn't gotten a letter on his way there.

Kapella's letter

Maria has shared her experience – Georgiy and Victor have returned from their questioning. Kains say that you won't survive your meeting with the Inquisitor. She turned out to be too smart to believe the tales of the Ripper and shrewd enough to understand the discovery, on the verge of which you are standing.

In any case, the Kains say that she will order your death if you won't confirm that you know how to make a panacea. I didn't quite understand why, though – it was all very strange.

By the way – is it possible that you actually know and will make it? That would be wonderful! Be careful with the Inquisitor. The patrolmen follow only her orders, nowadays.

V. O. jr.

P.S. Mother Superiour wants to see you. If she is in danger then be sure to protect her! She is a very, very miserable little being and she has a very kind heart. She must stay alive. I think that they'll open up the Apiary today, by the Inquisitor's order.

The guards were a bit reluctant to open up at first, but this explained why, soon enough, they relented. The letter gave him some food for thought, but nothing immediately actionable. He stayed the course and entered the Apiary.

If the short housing section of the Apiary was hellish, then the epithet for this was quite a bit more categorical. The moans of the sick were very much the same as they were in the Short Housing section, but there was much more death here.

Piles of corpses stacked up and covered by filthy rags and propped up by rusted metallic pipes. The Inquisitor must have seen this – someone will surely be responsible for this.

It was time to relinquish the anger and try to find the chamber where Taya was located. Considering her stature, it must be somewhere up high and regal.

The only place in the Long Housing section marked by the torches? That must be it – Artemiy tried the first door on the right.

This seems to be it.

These were the various letters of Order's alphabet – the Tauro were made mostly out of these. There was a wealth of knowledge hidden in these, but there was no one to reveal it to Artemiy there. He turned to Taya.

Look! Here he comes, the Servitor! Here, I'll put you to a test – are you going to answer?

I'll try to not look silly while doing so.

Tell me, how do they summon the menkhu, those of the lineage of servants? Well?

By their hands they know them, the butchers. By their eyes they distinguish them, the surgeons...

I see – you know. Now, I'm ready to speak with you. But look here – don't talk back to me, or else! I'm quick to anger!

She put her little hands to her side and scowled - a foolish man would've thought her to be a petulant little girl, but Artemiy knew better than that.

Please – stay your wrath, Mother.

Taya playfully giggled at Artemiy – it seemed to be a joke on her part, even if he still didn't want to take any chances.

We had a very curious guest today!

Is she still here?

No. She went to the Town prison from here. Oh, she was so angry! Can you imagine – she ordered the Long Housing section be opened, because no one can escape from here now. That's what she said.

What else did she say?

She said that she will make an example of those, who are at fault for what happened her. I told her that it wouldn't be so easy to find the ones at fault. Our guest will solve this puzzle, though – I think...

Doesn't the Order know who gave the order to seal the Apiary?

Me? No, I don't know. My guest promised me that she'll find out, though. She is very-very-very terrifying! Even I wanted to clump up into a ball from fear – and I'm not used to fear!

It's strange that she let you be...

Indeed – a distant emissary of the Authorities being completely fine with a four year-old girl being in charge of a big group of people during a deadly epidemic? That was quite strange, indeed.

The Inquisitor is investigating the crimes of the rulers in the Town prison. I have nothing to fear, however – my conscience is clear. I'm sure that today's visit to the prison will be the last one I'll undertake in this Town.

Taya wasn't quite done with him, though.

The Order has been quite worried – a riot is stirring...

What is bothering the Order, exactly?

They performed a sacrifice yesterday. A Higher one laid his head on a plate – one by the name of Boos Primogenius. Everything was supposed to change, but nothing happened. That means that the Servitor is a false one.

Yesterday's sacrifice was having unexpected consequences today, it would seem.

Servitor? Which Servitor?

Elder Oyun. He was the one to open up the Higher one. Nothing happened! The pestilence didn't end! Perhaps, he is a bad servitor? The lines would have continued, otherwise. The sacred blood of the Higher one would have cured the world, but it didn't work out that way.

Ah, it seems that she was talking about a different sacrifice than the one Artemiy witnessed. Still, there was a bit of important news here that Artemiy did not overlook.

Does it mean that the Elder has returned?

He has – this very night, too. That's when they brought the Higher one from the Steppe. They brought him in through the Gate of Maw. You know, he was so so so so very big! Wow! That was the first time in my life that I saw his shadow! My odonkhe tell me that I will never see one like that ever again...

How can I reach the Elder, Mother?

I don't know.

What am I to do, then?

You know, the Worms opened up a bull, too! They say that, because of their sacrifice, something changed in the world! Would they be capable, though? Their talk is for naught – they are only hurting themselves... Perhaps, you could ask her about what exactly did they do? They're in the Short Housing section, right at the top – hiding from the angered Order.

The two daring Worms had a part to play, after all.

The Order is angry with them?

The Elder says that they've spoiled his sacrifice. Oyun said that while he was opening up the Higher one, they were mocking the Rites – opened up a bull on Rhaga's Mound and that is why the lines have crossed. You can ask them whether it's true or not – it's all very curious...

I'll give it a try.

Artemiy already knew what happened – after all, he was present when it did. However, he was still interested in what the Worms had to say for themselves.

The Sacrifice

In the neighbouring housing section of the Apiary, a pair of terrified odonkhe are hiding out. If I can get to them, they will tell me just what exactly was achieved with yesterday's haphazard rite.

So, the sacrifice that the worms performed wasn't quite sanctioned, after all... Why did they do it, then? To achieve the same ends that the Elder was trying to achieve? Strange...

As before, the patrolmen did not bar his way.

Not much seemed different in the Short Housing section of the Apiary, except for a little detail.

This was rather inconvenient – the clouds were wedged in at the most inopportune of places. drat this disease and its will trying hard to be inconvenient.

It took a set of careful gymnastics, but, soon enough, Artemiy was at the top.

The Worms looked quite scared and looked at him with expectation of salvation that Artemiy wasn't able to bring them even if he wanted. He was only here to hear them explain themselves.

You have come?

Yes. Tell me why you have opened up the bull yesterday.

Why? In order to perform the foreordained. You can't fault one for that. Even the children are allowed to sculpt out of clay. Fill the belly of Boos Turokh with Suokh's broth, and the evil will diseappear.

They weren't going to be too explanatory in that avenue of questioning, so Artemiy turned to a detail that Taya mentioned.

What has changed in the world after the bull was opened?

We summoned an emissary from the other side. A giant one – not like us. He isn't human.

Isn't human? How so?

A lot of beings in this Town made a claim to a status of non-human, including the immortal Simon, who seems to have found his mortality relatively quickly

The one whom we've summoned is destined to restore the justice. Destined to fight Suokh. Destined to fall by the hand of a Servitor. The one, whom we've summoned, is destined to become the real Sacrifice.

Wait! Why are you talking like this?

That is how it was scribed in the “Fable of the Sons”. His death will make that, which yesterday's death did not. We've summoned the one who was needed and he came. We did a good deed.

Who is it? Is it the Inquisitor?

We do not know.

So, does it mean that you weren't mocking the Rites?

We wouldn't have dared, oinon. We don't know how. We've done a good deed.

Good. I believe you.

The Sacrifice

Now, I can find out what Tychik's self-reliant daughter thinks about all this.

All this talk about predestination, on the other hand, concerned me. It seemed like peeking too far ahead, even if it remained oblique. At the very least, it was some exceedingly heavy-handed foreshadowing. Is watching this little prophecy unfold really all that was left to us?

In any case, this train of thought was interrupted when Artemiy exited the Short Housing section.

It seems that some foolhardy soul was trying to exact the Order's ire on Artemiy. For associating with the exiled Worms, perhaps? In any case, the six patrolmen that were present did not take kindly to this and Artemiy went on after it was all over.

Artemiy decided to scout out the side corridors, in case he was missing something interesting or unusual. There was, however, nothing to be found but more death and misery, so he went on to Taya.

Artemiy still could not come to terms with just how disagreeable the Order's living conditions were. Any respect that he may had for Vlad Sr. disappeared that day.

Not much seemed to change in here since Artemiy was gone, although one of the butchers seemed to have gotten tired of standing and assumed a comfortable, resting position that is easy on the legs.

Everything was done correctly, and nobody was trying to perform the Rites, either.

Ah – so, that means that it's the Elder's fault. We should gather the Council and tell everyone who's still left in the Apiary. That's where the problem is – our Elder isn't worthy... He is not real – the real one would be able to chase the death away.

Who knows...

The Sacrifice

Yesterday's sacrifice wasn't a parody of the Rites, performed in the Abattoir. Rather, it's the other way around. The profaning Odonkhe on Rhaga's mound achieved more than the terrifying Elder Oyun. There's a conclusion to be drawn from all of this...

Drawing that conclusion and acting on it would be two entirely separate matters. For now, Artemiy was done in the Apiary – it was time to visit the Town prison.

All this talk of predestination only brought Artemiy back to the first day, when the Executor first mocked him.

”It is much more interesting to be a fatalist if one has an actual choice to make, wouldn't you agree?” However snarky, it still rang quite true.

It felt as if, in the past seven days, Artemiy has done nothing but go along with the current that dragged him ever closer to the center of Maelstrom that threatened to consume him. Was there nothing to be done?

If only he could make the panacea and perform the duty entrusted to him, then, perhaps, it will all be worth it.

The Town Hall was a sizable building that stood out in its surroundings, but Artemiy didn't manage to capture it's glory quite completely since he was being chased by an unpleasant Angelic cloud and two rats.

Instead of taking in the glory, he chose to duck inside as quickly as possible.

Inside, the patrolmen seemed to be processing a couple of criminals. There was no sight of Inquisitor. Ugh...

Justice and impartiality – those are the rules followed by the lawful emissary of the Authorities!

Are you so sure about that?

The Governmental Inquisitor will perform a swift investigation and will carry out an exemplary punishment of all those involved in the crimes– just as she should.

What crimes are you talking about, in particular? There were hundreds of them committed around here.

Oh, I'm merely talking about this prison. A mass incarceration of innocents took place here. Unwarranted executions were carried out using unlawful methods. Criminal negligence that led to the introduction of the infection in the cells and caused mass deaths has also occurred. Someone must be held accountable.

Aren't your sort the ones who should be held accountable for all the executions?

That wasn't our will. We carry out the orders without thinking about them.

Marionettes were abound in this place, and, according to the Executors, he was the premiere one. Or was it a comedian? It was probably both...

Anyway, where is the Inquisitor?

Her grace left to investigate the residence of the blood trader. He caused the uprising of the arsonists and was at the core of their entire conspiracy. He is sure to get his, now – should've thought twice about burning things!

Inquisitor departed into the lair of the hunchback trader in order to put an end to the Arsonists' riot. That is one dangerous witness, right there... He is sure to blame me for many things, and he's bound to sound truthful while doing so, too... I should hurry there.

He should have, but, truth be told, between the gloomy thoughts and this wild goose chase that he predicted, Artemiy was very tired and could have used a break. So, he took one – just like that.

HellishWhiskers fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Sep 25, 2014

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl
Also, the Kickstarter has passed 200k and has a ton of neat little updates that you should read if you haven't been doing so.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
drat, I really need to pledge already. It seems like the initial wave of supporters has ended and the dreaded mid-month drought has set in.

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl

woodenchicken posted:

drat, I really need to pledge already. It seems like the initial wave of supporters has ended and the dreaded mid-month drought has set in.

It will reach its goal and probably another 50k on top of it, give or take, so it's mostly good at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
"He did, however, had time for a little sideshow", has a wrong tense in 'had' should be have. "It's strange that she let you be" is missing a full stop. I think I saw a spellin error but I forgot.

Also, haha, resting position. Maybe our friend had a life before returning to the town?

• Locked thread