Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Also, haha, resting position. Maybe our friend had a life before returning to the town?

Those butchers - and many other random Male NPCs, actually - have an "idle squat animation" where they just stop what they're doing and squat down for like 20 seconds - even in the middle of the street! Add to that fact the fact that it's a Russian game, and "The Squat" joke writes itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
I'm still catching up with the LP, and holy cow, I'd forgotten all about the mandatory captivity in the Plague Cellar. This game can be so dickish, especially to Burakh, it's amazing :allears:

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl
The Reader - Daniil Dankovsky

Since in the next couple of game days The Bachelor will start acting a bit weird, I think this is a good time to link to the story, of which he is a namesake.

In 1894, a famed Russian author Maxim Gorky wrote a story "Old Woman Izergil" that consisted of three fables as they were told to the narrator by an old woman in the steppes of Bessarabia. One of those tales is called "The Flaming Heart of Danko" and it is the most famous of the three. The tale is very well known in the Russian literary culture and is frequently referenced in many other places - in fact, there is another game - Cryostasis: Sleep of Reason, another good Russian game that is hampered by various issues - that makes a wholesale reference to it and even provides an expanded - the actual story in the "Old Woman Izergil" is much shorter - voiced English reading of it, though it is a little bit hammy in my opinion.

There are obvious parallels between the fable's character and The Bachelor and then there are some not-so-obvious ones - the game does some fairly interesting things with this particular reference that will become clearer as we near the end. Keep this little tale in mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9nFz4bqUyI

HellishWhiskers fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Sep 19, 2014

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh god Cryostasis. Man, I remember that game. So beautiful, in its own way. Probably not going to end the same, though.

I like how clued-in Burakh continues to be. Let's hope he can find whoever it is the Worms summoned.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Those stretch goals are tantalizing, jeez louise just look at that stuff.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1535515364/pathologic/posts
But the price is steep.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Glazius posted:

Oh god Cryostasis. Man, I remember that game. So beautiful, in its own way. Probably not going to end the same, though.

I like how clued-in Burakh continues to be. Let's hope he can find whoever it is the Worms summoned.
Yeah, Cryostasis has a far more happy ending than any of Pathologic's endings. Cryostasis had its share of jank and bullshit but man the atmosphere was great and its ending is real good. It's a shame you can't buy it digitally anymore.

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl
A bit busy lately, sorry - the update will pop up in the next day or two. In the meantime, do read the latest Kickstarter update. The author of it knows my pain, she really does.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
That is like the exact kind of sperging as I did over names and such, including some of the same points I considered :v:
Alphyna seems cool; the amount of effort she's putting into this is reassuring.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

I've been highly impressed by all the updates so far. Just a shame it's taking forever to cross the finish line.

Do either of you want to contribute to the Wiki? :v:

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
Lilich :allears:

She's still one of my favorite characters, and gets most of her best lines in this scenario.

Great job on this so far, HellishWhiskers. I'd considered doing an LP on this scenario, myself, but I got caught up unmangling the text and burned out early. I'm glad to see someone finally doing it (and doing it well!).

EDIT: There's a lot of stuff in this I either straight-up forgot, or missed. The conversation with the dancer in the bar/lounge/whatever, for example, which obviously wasn't absolutely necessary, since I still managed to get the good ending. I think I missed Isidore's house on my first play through, too...

One thing I will say is missed in a screen shot LP, though, is how goddamn oppressive those infected houses are when you're in them. Even if you're using console commands to cheat your lame rear end all the way through (which, I'll admit, I did, at points, because I wanted to see the story and got frustrated with Constant, Nagging Failure), it's absurdly tense, especially when those infection clouds start moving through closed hallways.

Anyway, y'all should check those moments out on youtube (if they exist). They're short, but effective, and made me constantly second guess whether or not I actually wanted to go into the infected houses, like, ever.

EDIT 2: And, actually, as I recall, I killed the Bride rather than the hunters. I think there's a way to convince her that it's the right thing to do, but I could be misremembering.

EDIT 3: I also didn't get the tablets talk with Taya. What the hell. I only ever met her in the room with the torches and the makeshift 'throne.' And I still got the 'open the bull' up bit.

EDIT 4: Last one after getting caught up entirely. a) I will never get over how ridiculous Maria's nippledress looks, and b) I still can't not hear 'Meet Bob Delecroix' in a couple of the OST tracks after someone else pointed it out in one of the other LPs.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Sep 25, 2014

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl

Old Boot posted:

Lilich :allears:

She's still one of my favorite characters, and gets most of her best lines in this scenario.

Great job on this so far, HellishWhiskers. I'd considered doing an LP on this scenario, myself, but I got caught up unmangling the text and burned out early. I'm glad to see someone finally doing it (and doing it well!).

EDIT: There's a lot of stuff in this I either straight-up forgot, or missed. The conversation with the dancer in the bar/lounge/whatever, for example, which obviously wasn't absolutely necessary, since I still managed to get the good ending. I think I missed Isidore's house on my first play through, too...

One thing I will say is missed in a screen shot LP, though, is how goddamn oppressive those infected houses are when you're in them. Even if you're using console commands to cheat your lame rear end all the way through (which, I'll admit, I did, at points, because I wanted to see the story and got frustrated with Constant, Nagging Failure), it's absurdly tense, especially when those infection clouds start moving through closed hallways.

Anyway, y'all should check those moments out on youtube (if they exist). They're short, but effective, and made me constantly second guess whether or not I actually wanted to go into the infected houses, like, ever.

EDIT 2: And, actually, as I recall, I killed the Bride rather than the hunters. I think there's a way to convince her that it's the right thing to do, but I could be misremembering.

EDIT 3: I also didn't get the tablets talk with Taya. What the hell. I only ever met her in the room with the torches and the makeshift 'throne.' And I still got the 'open the bull' up bit.

EDIT 4: Last one after getting caught up entirely. a) I will never get over how ridiculous Maria's nippledress looks, and b) I still can't not hear 'Meet Bob Delecroix' in a couple of the OST tracks after someone else pointed it out in one of the other LPs.

You can totally sequence break in that section with the tablets and just go for the Rhaga's Mound, but I'm trying to have no unexplainable cutaways and having Burakh show up at the place with a bull for no reason would've been bad.

I haven't used any cheats yet - which means that I've been grinding quite a bit, as well as breaking into the houses at night, but I've been staying the gently caress away from infected houses. It's just not worth it - you won't get much and you'll almost certainly get slammed by clouds one way or another. Now, I'm already infected, but it still makes the infection worse and eventually forces you to drink the dead broths, which actually hurt you.

Aglaya is, hands down, the best character in the game, IMO - one of the big reasons I picked this scenario.

HellishWhiskers fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Sep 25, 2014

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

HellishWhiskers posted:

You can totally sequence break in that section with the tablets and just go for the Rhaga's Mound, but I'm trying to have no unexplainable cutaways and having Burakh show up at the place with a bull for no reason would've been bad.

I haven't used any cheats yet - which means that I've been grinding quite a bit, as well as breaking into the houses at night, but I've been staying the gently caress away from infected houses. It's just not worth it - you won't get much and you'll almost certainly get slammed by clouds one way or another. Now, I'm already infected, but it still makes the infection worse and eventually forces you to drink the dead broths, which actually hurt you.

I'm just kind of amazed at how much I ultimately missed, cheats or no, so this LP has been a real treat in terms of what I apparently glossed over by accident. Glad I wasn't the one to attempt an LP, at this point.

quote:

Aglaya is, hands down, the best character in the game, IMO - one of the big reasons I picked this scenario.

:allears:

I am so drat curious to see what a decent translation of her lines are. She's the one who tied the whole end-game together for me in a lot of weird ways, so seeing it written out in something other than madlibs will be, honestly, pretty awesome.

EDIT: comedy option for the elder: actually screen-cap his random expressions.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Sep 25, 2014

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl

Old Boot posted:

EDIT: comedy option for the elder: actually screen-cap his random expressions.

I haven't been showing them, but during dialogues, characters try to make various expressions - keyword here is "try", because what comes out most of the time are weird grimaces. My guess for what happened there was that the engine couldn't handle a character being that big - that dude is big, folks will see it in the next update - so his expressions are just completely broken all the time.

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl
Chapter Seven – Part 2

After a brief time-out, the wild goose chase was to continue.

It was somewhat admirable that the Inquisitor was taking such a proactive approach to fixing things in the city, but Artemiy would be damned if it wasn't bothersome. Going from one plagued district to another did not make for a pleasant stroll, after all.

It did not help that Artemiy was potentially heading straight towards his own execution, either. It may be a calming thought in its own way, sure, but it isn't one that leads to a productive ending.

Besides, how much trust the Hunchback – a man behind the massive conspiracy of insane arsonists – could really garner from an impartial out-of-towner?

The commotion on the streets of plagued districts wasn't ending, but, soon enough, Artemiy found the right house.

The interior of the house was eerily quiet, aside from hushed whispers upstairs. Artemiy ascended the stairs to check it out.

Well, this is a strange sight indeed – a pack of younger men in wealthy clothing standing amid a number of corpses of arsonists.

Artemiy turned to the closest of them to ask for explanations. This particular fellow did seem a bit confused, however.

No – I, myself, don't understand much, either. Address all question to him, right there, though I doubt that he will tell you much more... I'm here entirely out of the sense of camaraderie, if you must know...

That's somewhat admirable, at least...

Artemiy did have slight trouble telling just who is the leader of this bunch, but, soon enough, he found the right one.

Are you here for the same reason? We're waiting. I'm hoping that we'll manage to disarm her with one sudden stroke. Sever her spine with a cut of a scalpel – figuratively speaking.

It seems that this house was a haven for all sorts of crazed ideologues.

What in the world are you ranting about?

The youth was not pleased by that remark – perhaps, antagonizing them wasn't a very good idea?

What? Do you expect me to take that from you?

Be calm – I wasn't entirely serious.

A wise choice – it would behoove Artemiy to not get into a fight with them, especially since he needed information.

No matter – Victor will surely manage to dull her bite. He knows whose skeletons are lying hidden in her closet. Whatever sort of execution she'd want to subject the creator of panacea to, her intrigue will surely fail if we drag it out into the light. We did not feel sorry for Rubin before, but we are on his side now!

Hold on – are you speaking truthfully? Does she intend to get rid of the creator of the Panacea?

You need proof? Visit Victor for it. We are only here to bolster the forces of the resistance. Down with the coming tyranny! Down with the hypocritical investigation that hides the true, personal motives! Such an Inquisitor will never help our Town!

I hope that Victor is present at his house right now...

Hybrid of a Bull and a Man.

Victor Kain has some thoughts on the true goals of this... Inquisitor. I should exchange some words with him before I wander into the lair of the tigress.

If what these fledgling utopian revolutionaries were saying was true, then the Inquisitor wouldn't need any particular witnesses to condemn Artemiy to death. In times like this, her rule would be absolute.

Perhaps, it might not be a bad idea to not visit her at all? Still, Artemiy would be smart to ascertain her motives, and Victor seemed to be privy to them, if those crazed youths were to be trusted.

Artemiy was in luck – Victor was behind his desk, as usual, though he did seem gloomier and looked a bit older than he did yesterday. At the very least, he certainly seemed much less prepared than he was yesterday.

Do you see, Burakh, how unexpectedly the wheel of fate has turned? What a strange coincidence, if it is a coincidence at all! Why, against all expectations, instead of the experienced Orph and instead of the decisive Karmisnky, they saw it fit to send precisely her? Why did they send Aglaya Lilich?

Lilich? Artemiy could swear that he heard that last name somewhere before...

What is so amazing about that, exactly?

Well, first of all, because Aglaya Lilich is my deceased wife's sister. We would consider to be luck on our part, were it not for a deep-seated hatred that the two sisters shared for each other, despite the difference in their age. A horrible, irreconcilable hatred that did not abate even with the elder sister's death.

Quite the coincidence...

I'm afraid that Aglaya has too many vested interests in this situation that will surely collide with her duties, and all these vested interests don't bode well for us, I must add... I think that this expedition is perceived by Aglaya Lilich as nothing more than a means to an end - with that end being revenge, of course...

Revenge? Revenge against whom?

My deceased wife and her elder sister... Or, at least, everything that remains of her.

Who would allow an inquisitor to use her mission for personal revenge?

Indeed – it seems quite unlike the Authorities to send someone with such a conflict of interest here...

Not who, but what... Desperation. I've learned recently that Aglaya Lilich has been sentenced to death – for a certain passion for backstabbing intrigues, I might add. The only thing that can save her from the executioner's block is a miracle. When one exists in such a state, it's quite easy to let go... She might as well be hanged for a sheep as for a lamb...

How was she entrusted with this mission, then?

I have three versions of events that might explain that. First – my information is incorrect. Two – she arrived her of her own will, having usurped the position of the real inquisitor appropriated his powers along the way. That seems possible, especially since she has nothing to lose, though it is a bit too improbable, I must admit.

What is the third one, then?

Third – and the most probable one – lies in the notion that the Authorities gave Aglaya Lilich her last shot at rehabilitation, entrusting her with a hopeless task. It makes it especially probable, since the possibility of a deadly outcome for her is quite probable. Perhaps, this version is the best one for us... For you, though, it is the worst one.

How so?

Simply, my friend, because she doesn't need any competition. It is an inquisitor's task to find a daring solution for an insolvable problem that is so ingenious that it would justify the Inquisitor's immunity in full. It also must be quite effective, of course. That's why they're keeping them around. You, however, have deprived Aglaya of her chance to prove her competence, and I'm afraid that she already knows that...

This, then, must be the reason why she would try and get rid of the creator of the Panacea... This did not bode well for Artemiy at all...

I'm not her competitor, though...

What about your Panacea, though? Bachelor told me that you only have one tiny step to make in order to reach the victory. What is it, then, if not a solution for a problem? Were it not for unfortunate tribulations that Dr. Rubin suffered because of our faults, the solution would've been found already... Isn't that so?

No. It isn't.

The Bachelor was a bit too optimistic – a vital piece that was necessary was still missing, and it wasn't going to be found anytime soon...

Well then... If that is the case, then you can present yourself to the Inquisitor with a clear conscience. You won't manage to avoid doing that for long - unless you want to try to save yourself by escaping, that is.

I won't do that.

It's quite possible that she is already back at the Cathedral. The only thing left for me to do is to wish you luck. The Fate has been kind to you during these days, so, perhaps, it will keep showering you with its grace. If you enter the cathedral, I can even bet three against seven that you will exit it alive with your freedom intact.

I hope so – those aren't entirely bad odds...

Inquisitor awaits me in the Cathedral. Should I try to avoid the meeting? The consequences might be unpleasant, and if today has shown anything, it's that it's quite impossible to hide from her anywhere...

Getting to the Cathedral meant simply crossing the street, but it was one of the harder trek of all his days in the Town.

For the first time in a long while, Artemiy was entirely at mercy of an unknown element. It could, very well, prove to be his destruction – or, perhaps, his salvation?

The only thing that Artemiy could do was to be true to himself and his moral compass – like he always was. With this thought, Artemiy pushed against the Cathedral's heavy doors once more.

A strange sight – there she was, near her throne, with two tragedians swaying side to side near the steps leading to it. A Queen has to have her jesters, I suppose.

Her expression was quite tired, but she gave Artemiy a wry smile as he approached. Now, he was, irreversibly, a part of her web.

It is a great power that some wield over the others, isn't that right? Who, in our times, can remain truly free? Everyone is a pawn in someone's game! Everyone is blinded, everyone has been lied to...

Do you have an example, perhaps?

Take the proud Bachelor, who just spoke with me with thorough faith in his freedom... My worst fears have been confirmed. He has been a pawn in the hands of the Authorities. Believing someone's slander, he sent an arrow towards a worthy target and it went around and struck him squarely in the back!

I didn't think that I would catch an Inquisitor in such an uproar...

It is vile to take advantage of someone's sense of honour! Vile indeed, and I know exactly who would benefit from something like that... Those who decided my fate will decide the fate of other emissaries in a similar fashion... One has already taken to the stage, while the other is getting ready to do so. I can already hear the weapons of his battalions being prepared!

Artemiy's idea of an inquisitor was being shattered by the minute. Instead of cold, distanced personages, here was a person, who was completely emotionally invested in the matter at hand. Victor's words were proving true, it seemed... He still had doubts, though...

Is it possible that all this is just a pretense? Until now, I believed that everything that inquisitors do is done with a hidden intent behind it...

Aglaya chuckled – perhaps, she was used to scrutinizing the intents of her subjects and was surprised to see it happen the other way around.

What did the one whom they call the Haruspex, the Servitor, the Ripper come here for?

I wanted to tell you why I've done everything that I've done.

Aglaya laughed – it wasn't a cruel sort of laughter, though. It was not meant to laugh at Artemiy's expense – rather, somehow, for a second, Artemiy's words seemed to have lifted a great weight off of Aglaya's shoulders. It was strange, but Artemiy didn't begrudge her for it.

How interesting! Why, indeed? Do continue – I'm very excited to discuss the questions of self-determination nowadays! Considering how I've been treated, it seems that I've been too hasty to consider the matter resolved.

I thought that this was going to be a questioning, but it seems to be turning into a confession...

Not at all! From your father, you have received an invitation to his own funeral. Upon arrival, you've confirmed that he is dead and, afterwards, you have received an inheritance that carried within it, firstly, an obligation to preserve a certain unknown being by the means of panacea and, secondly, a warning about an inevitable sacrifice that you are preordained to carry out. Right?

How did she know all this? Nobody in the Town was privy to Artemiy's affairs to such an extent except Artemiy himself...

Well, that's not the whole truth of it...

So, they forced you to create a panacea? An unexpected play...

Forced me? I decided upon that myself!

All circumstances led you to it. You considered the creation of panacea to be your primary goal – do you honestly think that it was your idea?

There was no other way to cure the Marked one!

Where did you get that idea from? You don't even know who it is – and I think that it's not even human! This is where the figurative meanings come into play! I was preparing for this visit, you know – I've studied your rites. They're all symbolic...

However knowledgeable she was, her words were, above all, fueled by desperation. Victor's words rang truer by the minute.

You speak truthfully, though it's not like we ought to look for someone to blame for that...

Oh, it's not anyone's fault, anyway! How can you be to blame for anything? The Authorities have tricked you. Everything has been prearranged. Who has guided you along this path? Who played that evil role in your fate? You are a pawn in their ridiculous, clumsy hands. A weapon of choice for an execution of another human being.

I only do that, which I consider to be due and proper. I choose my own path. If someone chooses to use my decisions for their intrigues or to prove their points, then let it be so.

... You've got quite the nerve. Or, perhaps, I'm missing something obvious?... Listen to me! You were played! Perhaps, you simply don't believe the facts that I'm privy to by the virtue of my profession? Do you want me to prove it to you?

Would I really change my decisions to get pleasure from spoiling someone else's intrigue? My decisions are backed by familial duty and love – that is more than enough for me!

For one reason or another, Artemiy's answer stole Aglaya's breath away. All that fervour and desperation were gone like they were never there.

… That is a worthy response.

Indeed – it is worthy precisely because it is an honest one.

It's strange, but such a simple thought never came into my mind before... Is it possible that it really is that simple?

Being yourself isn't quite that simple...

... Amazing. Let me look at you closer. Perhaps, you were sent to me by fate? Wait... I need to think...

It's alright – I'm not in a hurry.

She sat down on her throne, her brow furrowing in deep thought. Whatever she was thinking, she was doing quite a lot of it, and fast. Entire scenarios seemed to play out in her head before Artemiy's eyes. After a while, she rose up and looked at him once more.

... Yes – this is my decision. The Bachelor confided in me – you need a hybrid of a bull and a man. I have a hypothesis. Go to the Abattoir. The passage should be open – due to my arrival, all entrances and exits are open.

Well now, that is interesting...

Everyone who survived the blockade of the Apiary is returning there. Use that opening. Visit Oyun, the Elder. Ask him about Auroxes. Demand that he give you the remains of the bull that, as they told me, was killed yesterday. Go. What's the matter? What's with your face? Go – before it's too late!

... Very well. I don't understand what just happened, but I'm going.

For the first time in all of his days in the Town, Artemiy suddenly felt that he was getting closer to the Truth. He did not even dare to grasp the nature of it, though, and he did not know where it would lead him, but he was getting closer to it, and Aglaya was instrumental in getting him there.

Amazing... Did I really get this lucky? Blood of a bull, blood of a man... I felt, that these two exceedingly close lines must inevitably converge! Perhaps, the Elder of the Abattoir still keeps the remains of the being that Bachelor considered to be nonexistent. I should go see him, posthaste.

Artemiy closed his diary and almost put it away when a small page fell out of it. On it was a drawing that Artemiy never made, but, somehow, he was not surprised to find it there.

Artemiy chuckled. It couldn't have been so simple, could it? Of course not – there were still many additions to be made, even if Artemiy wasn't going to be the one to make them. Still, whoever made this must have thought themselves to be quite clever...

Artemiy decided to keep it around, nonetheless. The trek to Abattoir was going to be long, but it was one that needed to be made, and Artemiy was excited for it, too. If Aglaya was correct, then he was on the brink of victory.

Something occurred to Artemiy along the way – how in the world was Aglaya as knowledgeable in the ways of the Steppe people as she was? That is the sort of knowledge that the Order routinely killed for – both the outsiders and those within the Order. Artemiy recalled the early days, when the gatherers of Tvyr told them of a wholesale slaughter among their numbers because of a perceived betrayal.

There was, quite simply, no way for her to know what she did. Such knowledge does not exist outside of Town, yet she explicitly said that she “prepared” beforehand. An exceedingly strange happenstance, but not much to be done about it. Before going to the Abattoir, Artemiy made a small detour.

If Aglaya's hypothesis was correct and the Elder would give Artemiy what he needed for panacea, then he would also need to make a number of Tvyr mixtures in order to create a suitable environment in which the material could thrive, and all the mixtures were spent on the “Dead Broths” in the recent days. Luckily for him, the Gatherer didn't haggle too much, and soon enough Artemiy had everything he needed except the blood of the Aurox, which The Elder was supposed to give him.

The Abattoir was only a short distance away from the Gatherer's yurt and, quite soon, Artemiy was there. He approached the entrance.

As before, a certain unnatural warmth emanated from the tunnel – this time, however, Artemiy had nothing to do but to go into the darkness.

Unfortunately, walking into darkness meant that one is unable to see where he is going – resulting in Artemiy slamming face first into a stone door which was, unfortunately, closed. He knocked, to no response. Ughhhh – this meant going all the way around into the Curriers and past the entrance to the Apiary. Goddammit.

Following the walls of the Apiary, Artemiy encountered a lone Worm standing near a sort of a makeshift arena. The odonkhe mumbled something about Arena fights and spilling one's blood for Suokh, of all the entities, but Artemiy was too cross to indulge him, and the rewards didn't seem too commensurate – only a vial of your opponent's blood.

Admittedly, the enemies whom Artemiy would fight in that arena were butchers, but he already knew that the blood of the Steppe folk, while stronger, was of no particular use in fighting the Sand Plague and, as such, was pretty much useless.

Finally, after another trek through a plagued district, Artemiy was finally nearing his goal. Hopefully, this tunnel will turn out to be open.

Once again, Artemiy was advancing through darkness. This time, however, he stuck out his hand before him – just in case.

Track 15 – The Abattoir

Soon enough, he was on the other side.

It struck Artemiy just how much like a cave and how unlike a built structure the Abattoir was.

But then, perhaps, it was not built, after all, but sculpted out clay – or, in this case, of granite. All the surfaces here were rocky and most of them were quite polished, aside from the occasional mossy stones.

Good – some of the bulls were still alive, and the recently blockaded residents of Apiary now seemed to be somewhat busy. The conditions here seemed to be better than in the Apiary, but they were still rather primeval in their nature. Quite reflective of the nature of the Order, that...

The ceiling in this place was unbearably large and everything seemed extremely oversized, as if it was built by giants or, perhaps, to contain giants. It took Artemiy a while and he wandered quite a bit, even finding the place where he tried to enter previously, but, eventually, he found the Elder's chamber.

The man was fiendishly giant and very imposing, his voice thundering in the stone chambers of the Abattoir. Artemiy was intimidated, and he wasn't afraid to admit it.

I know who you are, kinsman. Do you know how to properly address me?

You are Oyun, menkhu, the Elder of the Abattoir.

The Elder commanded respect and he also demanded it.

Good. Ask.

Tell me – whom do they call an Aurox?

The traders of the past hundreds of years called “Auroxes” those who are Akin to the Bull, whom we, in the memory of those who showed him to us, call Bos Primogenius.

That name is familiar to me.

He is of Mother Bodkho's flesh, his features are as large as the Universe. His lines are the lines of this world. There isn't anything in the world that couldn't be held in the body of the Higher one. His White Threads predict the flow of time, his Blue Threads control the waters and rains, his Brown Threads keep his warmth.

I know that, too, though I think that you are already missing some things. Even I know more.

I'm not entirely sure why Artemiy chose to antagonize the Elder here, but that is entirely on him.

What else do you know? That his bones are the bones of the mountain ranges? That his skull is the sky dome? That his juices are the rivers? That his hair is the grass and its roots? That his voice is Bodkho's song, that his seed is the joy of the Vein of Bodkho, that his black blood is the memory and time of our Earth? Is that what you know?

In any case, you've opened up a Higher one recently, correct?

Yes, and I was fully in my right to do so. Who else but me – a Servitor, Elder of the Abattoir – could open the lines of the Higher one?

Give me some of his blood.

You are quite cocky, son of Bodkho. Don't you think that you are presuming too much?

I act in the name of the one who sent me here. You must know about the Emissary that just arrived into Town.

Artemiy, it seemed, wasn't interested in handling this matter in a diplomatic manner.

I know all too well. Well then – it will be so. I will give you as much blood as you could carry out of here in the palm of your hand. That is the price I'm ready to pay for our collective peace and for getting rid of this Emissary. You will not get more from me, since I know neither you nor your name. Now – give me your hand!

Well this is rather strange – The Elder just contradicted himself. At the start of the conversation, he said that he knows who Artemiy was, yet here he is denying him. Was it some sort of a way to express disapproval or disrespect, or was Oyun losing his nerve? Tough to tell, at this stage. In any case, even Artemiy picked up on it.

I am Artemiy Burakh, son of Isidore. You know who I am.

Artemiy gave him his hand and Oyun pulled out a vial from one of his pockets and poured it – quite carelessly – onto Artemiy's palm. It was hot – unbearably so, but Artemiy took great care to not spill even a drop as he poured it from his hand into a vial of his own. In the end, he had just enough for one dose.

Thus, I am on the precipice of the most important accomplishment of my life. Now, I should take the best of my Tvyrine mixtures and create the most perfect “Dead Broth”. I must create the Panacea – a natural anti-serum, based on the blood of an Aurox.

Afterwards, I am to present this precious medicine to Aglaya Lilich.

Without a stop, Artemiy ran to the previously sealed exit – he had quite enough of this Oyun chump and this place. He had his victory to achieve, after all.

He sprinted all the way to his hideout – the anticipation was killing him. Surely, this will be it – this will be the victory he craved for all these days. Finding the Marked One will be small matter once he has the weapon of victory in his hands. Artemiy nearly took the metal door to his hideout off its hinges as he barged inside.

He rushed to the chest where he kept most of his herbs and added the choice specimens, as well as Savyur which he procured from the Worm trader today to make the best Tvyr mixture yet. Then, he took the result to the machine that produced the “Dead Broths”.

The process was a short one, but it was, nonetheless, nerve-wracking. Once it was done, however, Artemiy took out one of the bottles he specially prepared for this occasion and poured the result into it. This was it. He finally had his victory.

A strange tidbit about there being enough for only twelve doses, yet, somehow, Artemiy knew it to be true. Yet again, however, there was no time to lose – he had to present this to the Inquisitor.

It didn't occur too much to Artemiy at the time that the limited nature of the Aurox blood supply would mean that his Panacea wasn't entirely effective. It certainly wouldn't cure too many people or stop the spread of this horrible disease.

Still – the amount projected by the message that came with the bottle meant that it would be enough to save his Adherents and, more importantly, it should be enough to cure the Marked one, whoever or whatever it was.

Quite fitting that the last barrier that Artemiy encountered on his way back to the Inquisitor were two clouds converging on him from both sides. They almost looked like gatekeepers, but Artemiy was too quick for them. It was as though he finally outpaced the disease, although that wasn't entirely true.

Not much seemed to have changed inside – the Tragedians kept the same rhythm going. They must be working in shifts, surely – this would've been too tiring otherwise. Aglaya herself regarded Artemiy quite neutrally, although a number of small things betrayed a hint of anxiety in her demeanour. Or was Artemiy imagining things?

Why are you staring at me so closely?

Aglaya was, after all, one of a small number of people, on whom Artemiy was almost entirely unable to get a reading of.

I'm always looking at folks like that. I... I made the panacea. Here. The Elder gave me a handful of steaming blood of the Aurox.

Aglaya took the vial and held up gently, with a great deal of care, even as Artemiy cautiously recalled Victor's warnings.

Oh, it's beautiful. Let me look at it closely... I've never thought that it would look like this... I mean, I imagined that it would come in the form of a vial many times, but I never thought that it would be a vial of medicine instead of a vial of poison...

What are you talking about?

Oh, nothing – about death...

Artemiy knew that she was talking about what Victor told him – about her being doomed if she weren't the one to discover the panacea. This confirmed Victor's theory – the third one, to be exact. Nonetheless, even with the option to twist the knife being present, I chose to not take it.

It brings life, not death, and you are the one I should thank for it.

There is nothing to thank me for... Besides, this material is far too rare – before they manage to reproduce it in the Capital, the Town will disappear from the face of the earth three times over... That's not the worst ending, mind you...

Hold on. Were it not for you, then I wouldn't fulfill the obligation before my father! You don't know how... important that was for me.

Oh, I do. Don't be in too much of a hurry, though. Perhaps, the panacea has no relation to your udurg after all.

Udurg? You know about it? Do you believe in it?

I believe in you.

Strangely sentimental, but Artemiy had no time to dwell on it right now. This was important – they were both onto something here.

That's not an answer. Do you believe that the Marked One, the One Sought For is an udurg? Do you take the Steppe folk' superstitions seriously?

Absolutely. Everything on this earth has a hidden meaning. It is impossible to lie. It is impossible to make up a fantasy. Myths are always truthful – the real question lies in interpreting them properly. Your panacea, on the other hand, will still prove useful... For all of us...

I know what this step meant for you, and I won't forget it.

I've managed to create an antiserum out of the blood of an Aurox. The weapon of victory has been forged – too bad that it turned out to be of the double-edged sort... Inquisitor Aglaya Lilich has signed her death warrant by letting me ahead. Why, then, has she doomed herself to death so willingly? Something remains hidden here...

Once again, when Artemiy was putting the diary away, a drawing fell out of it. It seemed the same, except for a minor detail.

Good – more details, though still not enough. A number of crucial details is still missing – it only covers the fundamentals, and it doesn't do that quite well, either. Once Artemiy put it away, it was clear that Aglaya wasn't quite done with him yet.

There is one last task left and it needs to be completed before the end of the day. I've heard that you're quite brave, right?

Why do you ask?

In order to announce it to the Authorities that a cure from the disease has be found – that is, that you've found it – it needs to be tested. I have to find an executor whom I could trust. I would test it myself, but they wouldn't believe me... Are you ready to test your creation?

Once again, I had the choice to test her motives with a rather cruelly worded question and, once again, I've decided against that.

I am.

Then, you'll have to get infected and wait until you reach a critical stage. With witnesses present, of course. Drink it only when you'll start losing consciousness. Only then will the Executors admit that it works.

How are we going to carry this out, then?

I sent a messenger to the Executors that are on duty at the hospital. What was it before? Ah, yes – the Theatre. They know everything. They will bear witnesses to you reaching the critical stage of the disease and your recovery. Executors are those who walk around in the bird masks.

I know.

Testing the Panacea.

The antiserum needs to be tested. An Executor is waiting for me at the Theatre. These fellows are practically drenched in the dirt of their work – getting infected from their touch should not be too difficult.

To be honest, this is a slight waste of the Panacea – there are certainly others that could use it, and Artemiy had very little trouble keeping his infection in check.

It was clear, however, that the goal of this exercise was to prove a point and, more disturbingly, to further shield Artemiy from the Authorities at the cost of Aglaya's life. What did she know that let her be so... collected about this? Something must be hiding behind all this talk about foreordained things...

What was ahead of Artemiy was a bit difficult and he should not waste time worrying too much about things he is yet to have control over.

The fellow on the stage was Mark The Immortal – the proprietor of the Theatre. Not an important figure in our story, though Artemiy has seen him many times already during his treks to the Theatre at night. Now, the Executor was the one whom we wanted to see here...

Please welcome the Haruspex Artemiy Burakh, the ripper of our fate! So, it seems that you've managed to pull it off, right?

I have, yes.

I didn't expect such self-sacrifice from Aglaya... It's rather strange – it's very unlike her, I must say!

Quit it with the smarminess, would you?

Now, the panacea must be tested, right? That is when we can report to the Authorities about a working recipe?

I don't care about the Authorities and my conscience is quite clear, too...

Now, now – don't be in such a hurry. Don't count your chickens before they hatch! Theory is one thing, but putting it into practice is another. What is good under the microscope will turn to nil in the open air – to zero, one could even say. Well, in any case – I will infect you, now. Are you ready?

Ready.

The touch of the Executor bore with it some of the worst pain Artemiy experienced yet. It's quite strange how Artemiy didn't collapse right then and there, although his head was spinning quite awfully.

Testing the Panacea.

The fact of the infection is clear. Now, all that is left is to cure myself and to head back to the Cathedral. I can wait a little bit, though – to try to strengthen the effect and scare Aglaya with a live demonstration of the terrible effects of Sand Fever.

A strangely trickster-like thought for Artemiy, considering how unwell he was. Still, it would behoove him to reach the Cathedral in this state before drinking the Panacea – he could, very well, get infected along the way, and then it would be all for naught. With his business done, Artemiy staggered toward the exit.

The fresh, rainy air did its part to abate Artemiy's awful condition – the miasma of all the dead bodies in the Theatre must have surely contributed to Artemiy's symptoms in there.

This was a hard road, once again – not just because of Artemiy's bad health, but also because of the implications that today's actions of his would have for Aglaya.

Still, if Artemiy can save the Udurg – something that he absolutely must do – then he can save Aglaya in the process, as well. What's fated cannot be evaded.

Well, this is funny! The disease is escalating its efforts at gate-keeping, it seems! Artemiy would've been quite sorry if he drank the cure back at the Hospital, but, as it stands, the Angel can't hurt Artemiy at all. Chuckling, Artemiy heaved open the Cathedral doors once more.

Admittedly, the Angel's touch had a slight effect on Artemiy, but the lightheadedness abated soon. Once it did, Artemiy pulled out the little bottle, pulled out the cork and drank the substance in one gulp. It didn't taste like his usual Dead Broths. It wasn't foul at all – it tasted like clear water, drawn from a spring that has been heated by the rays of the sun. Not cool, but still refreshing. His pain was gone. He was cured. It worked.

I'm back. The Panacea works. It seems that there is absolutely no trace left of the disease.

Well... That means that I can finally go into retirement. I will, however, try to fight it, still... How much tissue did you manage to procure?

Painfully little. The Elder gave me a handful.

They've told me a lot about these slaughterhouses... You know, the more I study the materials about this Town, the more I pay attentions to the beliefs of the Steppe folk. With every source one has to speak in their own tongue and every source has to be asked only those questions which it can actually answer...

Techniques of the Inquisitors, huh?

Well then, Artemiy Burakh. Come back here after some time. It's best that you do so tomorrow. Perhaps, I'll tell you something interesting... If we manage this without their help, then it will be a real miracle. If that is the case, then I will be able to return with my head held high! Now, go – I need time to think.

Very well. I will come back later.

Testing the Panacea.

The Panacea works! If it is possible to get enough of this precious blood, then the entire Town can be saved... It's not too late yet!

Thus, this fateful day was done. Artemiy accomplished much today, though there were still many questions left unanswered and he managed to find more goals for his victory along the way. Still, today was a day that, for the first time in many days, has filled Artemiy with an undeniable sense of optimism. With it, Artemiy heaved open the Cathedral's heavy doors for the last time today and went on his way to pursue his own day-to-day affairs.

HellishWhiskers fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Sep 29, 2014

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, that's a lot clearer than the dialogue in-game, even if it has its weird charm every once in a while. Other times, it's total nonsense.

For the curious, a snip the conversation in the English version of the game runs like this:

quote:

ARTEMIY: "There wouldn't be another way to cure the branded one."

AGLAYA: "Who told you that? You don't even know who that is, and I presume it isn't a human being at all! Here is where the metaphorical meanings come in. I have been preparing for my visit and studied these rituals. They are all symbols."

ARTEMIY: "That looks true, but why should you look for the guilty?"

Big difference.

EDIT: I can post the whole, ridiculous thing if people are interested/HellishWhiskers doesn't mind.

Great update, by the way. It's nice to see Lilich in the proper context, since a lot of the first conversation in the official translation only ever gives you the impression (via extremely weird lines) that she's loving with you. Then it boomerangs around to seeming like even your nice answers are you loving with her.

Totally stoked to see the rest.

One other thing, though. One thing that struck me pretty consistently (even in this update) is the repeated use of the word 'intrigue.' I get what it's going for, but I'm curious what sort of nuance/abstraction goes into the Russian word.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Sep 26, 2014

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl

Old Boot posted:

EDIT: I can post the whole, ridiculous thing if people are interested/HellishWhiskers doesn't mind.

Great update, by the way. It's nice to see Lilich in the proper context, since a lot of the first conversation in the official translation only ever gives you the impression (via extremely weird lines) that she's loving with you. Then it boomerangs around to seeming like even your nice answers are you loving with her.

Totally stoked to see the rest.

One other thing, though. One thing that struck me pretty consistently (even in this update) is the repeated use of the word 'intrigue.' I get what it's going for, but I'm curious what sort of nuance/abstraction goes into the Russian word.

I wouldn't mind, mostly because I haven't been much "in contact" with the bad english translation. Woodenchicken gave me a copy of the script he used, but I only used it early on if I had word choice troubles and then I stopped altogether.

About weird tonal shift, it does make a bit of sense because there are a lot of options you can pick that are totally devoted to you loving with her in a rather uncharacteristically cruel and mean fashion. I pointed that out in my side-narration but I didn't take them, both because Artemiy doesn't seem to me like a fellow who would go for it - at least, the PC Artemiy, and also because I don't really like them that much.

Word "Intrigue" mostly just refers to various bits of scheming that Inquisitors apparently love to engage in - especially Aglaya, who was, apparently, sentenced to death because of her excessive passion for such flamboyant scheming. It does make sense that it crops up a lot in this simply because every goddamn character is pushing their goddamn angle, and you can choose to try and pursue these angles or not i.e. being an rear end in a top hat to the Inquisitor at every turn possible at Victor's behest or being an rear end in a top hat to the Bachelor in the early days at Olgimsky's behest or killing Vera Willow because Anna Angel told you a lovely, obviously false story.

It's very Telltale-like in this regard, because acting on these choices you're presented with or not won't change much, but it will add flavour to your further interactions that is, sometimes, even acknowledged by the characters themselves, although, more often than not, it isn't.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
Pathologic successfully funded, woo~ :toot:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

quote:

Down with the hypocritical investigation that hides the true, personal motives!

This needs to be on a protest sign.

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:
I've noticed a lot of the dialogue in this game has this vague, kind of circuitous quality to it. You really have to stare at a sentence for a couple seconds to get the meaning. Is that a function of your translation or is that how the original Russian is written?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Dang, Burakh. You did it, man. You found a cure.

A terribly expensive cure, but you did it.

Now... now what?

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl

A Curvy Goonette posted:

I've noticed a lot of the dialogue in this game has this vague, kind of circuitous quality to it. You really have to stare at a sentence for a couple seconds to get the meaning. Is that a function of your translation or is that how the original Russian is written?

Most of the NPC dialogue is written in about the most unhelpful and obtuse manner imaginable with a ton of old phraseology injected into the writing. It's granted that I could be doing a poor job at coherently translating meaning, but most of it really is that bad. The game is an intentional jerk to the player on all fronts - dialogue included.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Some would say that only a jerk could play a game for jerks. Just my two cents.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1535515364/pathologic/posts/1004952
Another update has been posted, and it seems that we're not getting Andriesh on the beats this time.

Personally I don't think the original OST's ghetto sound detracted from the experience in any way. I honestly cannot remember a single piece that was out of place or sounded unfinished. If what they say is true about how haphazardly it was made, then it's just a great example of the way many masterpieces get built under great constraints, out of crap, held together by paperclips and chewing gum.

Mushroomer has my sympathies - having to mess around with a widely beloved work made by someone else sounds like a nightmare job. Shame they didn't get the old guy on board; they said they wanted to.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

If you listen to the original soundtrack out of context, it does sound a little disjointed (especially the Night Wandering track). I think that just added to the atmosphere though - it's distinctive and highly oppressive.

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl
It's an enjoyable soundtrack, but then there are just some exceedingly silly pieces - like the Apiary, for example. I can swear that I can hear a Wilhelm scream in there somewhere. Personally, I'd love to see a soundtrack that remixes the best bits of the old one while bringing something new to the table.

New update coming in two days' time, I was planning on working on it earlier, but annoying crap like having your wallet blatantly stolen by some rear end in a top hat keeps cropping up.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Well that sucks. When you find the scoundrel, I suggest... surgery.

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl
Chapter Eight – Part 1

Artemiy woke up closer to the morning. Yesterday was a momentous day – he finally managed to produce the panacea. Today was going to be the day of finer details - how would he get more blood for the panacea and, more importantly, how would he find the Marked one?

Before attending to these matters, Artemiy would read the letters that he usually received overnight.

Letter from Aglaya Lilich

I have drawn an interesting conclusion from your visit to the Elder. The blood was warm, right? It is as much alive as it would be if it were just drawn from a living body.

This, however, cannot be the blood of the bull that was killed yesterday. Elder Oyun did not conduct the rite properly. If you go to him tomorrow, then ask him about the source of this blood.

P.S. Listen to the Bachelor's words. He has earned my trust and is now acting according to my instructions. He can help you reach your goals – provided that you need that help, of course.

P.P.S. I've heard today that you are fated to take leadership of the Order and usher in the rule of a new Power in this Town. That would be a sharp and reasonable solution. The time of the three families is passing. I must consider the future, too. Do you understand me?

A. L.

Artemiy didn't understand her yet, although, in time and with luck, he would. Not entirely sure what to make of it all, he picked up the next letter.

Diaries of Isidore Burakh: Excerpt on challenging Elder Oyun [pg. 131]

The Order is dangerously close to rioting. The animals are feeling the evil in the air. Yesterday, they had to pacify fifty eight brown bulls because of this...

I am challenging the Elder. Changing the order of the present rule is criminal, but trying to dodge my line any more is doubly so. Oyun is incapable of ruling the Order. This helmsman could not steer the vessel in the calm seas – he will surely sink us all during the storm.

I will announce my will to him and then I'm going to head out into the Steppe, to hear what Savyur has to say. I hope that, while I'm speaking with Bodkho, Oyun will understand the truth of my words and will come to an agreement with boos Vlad about the changing of the rule. If that doesn't happen, then the Order will riot. He will have to free up the Stones for me when I return.

My son isn't here yet... My boy – where are you? Who am I to rely upon in these awful times?

This was one of the pages that was harder for Artemiy to read. If he arrived earlier, it is very likely that his father would not have died of this damned disease – together, they would have surely coaxed the blood for the panacea out of the Elder... Why were the letters unable to reach him in time?

Still – it's no use to start one's day with such a crestfallen attitude – with luck, the Elder will provide more blood today and, with further luck, there just might be enough to save this forsaken Town. First things first, it was time to get the map from Notkin – as usual.

Unfortunately for Artemiy, the Elder has proven to be most uncooperative so far. If the threat of the Inquisitor did not make him more pliable, then Artemiy wasn't sure what would. Perhaps, challenging Oyun's rule would work? It seems that that was the route Isidore was going to take before he died...

Unlike in the previous two days, the Warehouse district was peaceful and quiet. Occasional hushed voices and rough-looking men aside, this place was downright homely compared to the rest of the Town.

The kids inside, however, looked tired and hungry – it seems that the gang was working fairly hard to make ends meet and a lot of them have, probably, died of the disease while trying to make themselves useful. Today, Notkin hiked up the price to two thousand coins, but Artemiy didn't begrudge him.

Artemiy produced the money and, in return, Notkin gave him a folder with the map of the Town. There were some surprises when Artemiy opened it, however.

This was the same image from yesterday – in fact, Artemiy probably had another copy of it lying in his backpack. It seems that someone was rather persistent in trying to force their interpretation of the nature of the Town on Artemiy.

Upon removing this drawing, Artemiy found something else on the top of the map that he purchased.

Artemiy raised the diagram, looked at the map and back at the diagram once more.

This wasn't necessarily some sort of a big revelation, but it still bore interesting implications. This was the truth of the nature of the Town if the Order's tales of Bos Turokh were to be taken literally. Even figuratively, interpreting the Town as a giant bull would have interesting implications – both for the Town and for Artemiy and his search for the marked one...

Nevertheless, this was nothing concrete and thought exercises were not something Artemiy had plenty of time for. The morning was almost here, and that meant that he could still be in time for the nightly performance. These things were useful, if not amusing, so Artemiy did not want to miss them if he could help it.

Artemiy was getting used to magically materializing letters and strange drawings finding their way into his pack, but it was still rather annoying to be toyed with in such a manner. He would much prefer a straighter answer than some halfhearted implications that are surely meant to try and steer him in some direction or another.

Even the theater itself was, most assuredly, nothing but a ploy of some sort – a source of amusement at best and a poisonous tongue at worst. Artemiy could do nothing but try to make his own road. That is all that he could do and all that he could do well.

The Theatre welcomed him with a familiar, stern voice that he had grown to respect and, perhaps, appreciate.

I understand the paths of the heavenly bodies. The logic of the numbers is known to me.

Oh yes indeed, Mistress!

The harsher fellow from before was trying his best at voicing supplication.

Heavy objects sink in water. That is the Law. Life decomposes into particles and is born again. That is the Law.

Do you see now how many mysteries the Earth is hiding within itself? The more awful the mystery, the more awful are its roots and less is the number of the wells that can reach it!

You can try to fool anyone, but not me – the emissary of the all-powerful Authorities. I know how this world was built. I know how life is structured within it. I know the laws, according to which it is organized. Everything has been conceived with simplicity, strictness and order.

Truly, Mistress – that is how everything was conceived...

Indeed, Mistress – that is how everything was conceived...

It shall be so – this is not the end of the world. This is, simply, an epidemic. The proportions have been violated. The Law, however, will prevail. I will restore the balance. I know where to look for the root of this evil.

Hmm...

REEL 9: Masks' Nightly Attraction – Night Seven

Empty hints, as usual, although it did provide interesting hints as to the knowledge that the Inquisitor possesses.

It was still early but Artemiy decided to start his morning by paying a visit to Aglaya. She will surely have a plan of attack on Oyun's lack of cooperativeness.

Artemiy was rapidly growing to rely upon the Inquisitor. She was a wise and powerful ally that was exceptionally useful in these times.

Strangely enough, Artemiy also felt himself becoming strangely... protective of Aglaya. The nature of her predicament and her actions while being in such a position struck a chord in Artemiy's soul. For all the talk of Inquisitors' treachery, Aglaya seemed very open, honest and straightforward to Artemiy.

Of course, this could have been a part of the lie for all he knew, but there was no use being paranoid and Artemiy felt an unusual inclination to trust her. She was very important – both for the future of the Town and for him.

Aglaya wasn't quite busy yet, and she was also expecting him.

Today, I will tell you about my goals and will reveal my plan to you. It's quite strange how that happened, but it seems that you – a person of a very different... environment – understand me better than anyone else might. For this, I will give you my honesty.

I, in turn, will give you my trust.

Above all else, I want to preserve this Town. I'll tell you the truth – I have no love for it. I'm guessing that this hopeless task is my last chance. It isn't even a matter of self-preservation, though, but simply a matter of professional pride.

Hopeless? How so?

For me it isn't, but it is so for them. A grave, into which they can shove anything they dislike without any repercussions because it will always rot. I'm guessing, though, that this Town is quite precious to them... They wouldn't have sent an artillery division here if it weren't, although they do have other Towns beside this one...

It is unfortunate that Aglaya had a bit of a tendency to ramble in response to what seemed like her own thoughts, but then so did almost everyone in this Town. Besides, it seemed that, behind her ramblings there was a wealth of information and horrible secrets, so she could be forgiven.

What are you planning to do?

We will find the source of the disease and destroy it. That is a question of two – maximum three – days, at most. Those who are sick we will cure with your Panacea. The plan would've been foolproof, were it not for a gaping hole in it. There is preciously little of this Panacea to go around. Its main ingredient is a relic. If I understand it correctly, then there are less auroxes on this Earth than there are leviathans...

Indeed...

They say that on the day before yesterday, the brought an aurox from the Steppes and sacrificed him in the Abattoir. The Odonkhe say that this was the last one, and that he was sacrificed to rid the people of this plague.

Indeed.

Something makes me wonder, though – they say that an aurox allows itself to be commanded only by a true Servitor. This is why Olgimsky rules the Order on his own, but can only lord over the Abattoir by the means of an intermediary. Isn't that so?

It is. Father said the same thing, actually...

The Elder watches over the rituals and, from time to time, performs the Rite – cuts open a Bull according to the ways in which it was done from the times of creation of the world in order to preserve the world. This Bull that he routinely cuts open must be an aurox. Within it are all the elements, all the lines, all the languages, all the connections – everything. Did they inform me properly?

Yes. It does sound like the truth – the nature of Boos Turokh.

However, the ritual did not seem to work. The Order is in turmoil. They are displeased with the Elder. That means that he must have done something wrong. If the Order was locked in the Apiary then, I imagine, the ritual happened with almost no witnesses. Perhaps, the aurox did not submit to the Elder's will? Perhaps, there wasn't even a ritual?

If that is the case, then where did the blood come from?

Well – that is the question, isn't it? The ritual happened on the day before yesterday. Many hours have passed since its completion. The Elder, however, gave you blood that was steaming. It was scalding and full of oxygen. It was alive – as if it were just extracted from a living body.

Indeed – quite puzzling, that...

You ought to ask the Elder about its source... I'm guessing that the Abattoir hides many a mystery... You are the only one who is fated to pierce its depths... The more I think about it the more it is I'm sure that we are on the right track. Even in our enlightened age, we will be saved by the ancient tales of the herdsmen.

I will follow your rather daring advice...

Good luck to you, Artemiy Burakh. Beware the Elder. He is afraid of you, but he is also one of those, who are more dangerous in fear than in calm.

What should I do if the Abattoir is closed?

Go through the Apiary. I've spoken with that girl yesterday – Taya Tychik. She commands a great deal of influence. For a second there, I even doubted whether I could bend her to my will or not. She can open the passage to the Abattoir for you...

Wait for me – I will be back soon.

Whose blood is it?

So, it's true – the sacrifice has failed. Can it mean that there was no sacrifice to being with? If that is the case, then whose blood was it? Why was it smoking, as if it were extracted from a body right then and there, and not two days ago?

This needs to be checked out. The path into the Abattoir goes through the Apiary.

Artemiy began heading in the direction of the Apiary when he received his first letter of the day.

Bachelor's Invitation

I have figured out that the nutrient-rich environment, in which this disease might have been born, is located underground. The answer to this riddle might be found in the Abattoir, because there is something strange happening in its depths, according to the local rumous.

The Inquisitor insists that you are the only one who can get in there without any repercussions. If that is the truth, then I'm asking you to meet with me. That is important.

Bachelor Dankovsky

P.S. Aglaya Lilich is acting quite strange. She was asking me about you. She wants to talk to you, but does not want to try and get you to come by her order. That is quite suspicious, if you ask me, but I can't explain her behaviour. In any case, be careful.

The letter was a bit odd, but it could also be chalked up to Dankovsky being a bit protective of his ally? If that was the case, then Artemiy felt touched by such a concern. He went to see Daniil immediately. It was 7 A.M.

Daniil, it seemed, was in low spirits.

On the other hand there was a strange, crooked smile on Daniil's face when the conversation began.

You've made the strongest of impression on the emissary of the Authorities. I should congratulate you. If this state of affairs persists, then, soon, we won't have a terrifying in Inquisitor – only timid and obedient Aglaya Lilich.

Well – this was a turn quite unlike of what Artemiy grew to expect of Dankovsky. He was angry, sarcastic and... jealous? Artemiy respected the man and, because of that respect, he did not say anything rash to a phrase full of strangely snide insinuations.

You are learned, Oinon and I grant you the respect that you deserve, but you should not judge things of which you know preciously little.

Daniil sighed and looked away apologetically. Good – perhaps that will be the end of that.

Very well. I'm asking for your help, Burakh. You, of course, know that my affairs here are far from over. Now, at Inquisitor's behest, I am working on finding the source. Just like you were, she has sent me in the right direction. Unfortunately, I have hit a dead end while following this path.

Go on.

I am conducting analysis of the soil and... Well, to sum it up, the results aren't very fruitful, but I have found something. It seems that the tectonic plates underneath the Town are structured in a manner that is entirely paradoxical. I need to find out what is hiding in the depths. I've heard that the Abattoir has its roots buried deep beneath the Earth. Tell me – do they know what lies in the depths of the Earth?

I'm quite curious, myself. Today, I'll find it out, if there's enough time.

You'll share the result with me, won't you? We work for the same case.

Do we, now? In any case, that depends on the result, oinon...

Artemiy didn't want to make promises he couldn't keep, and he was still a bit sour about the welcome he received. He left Daniil to his devices and continued on to the Apiary.

There was a strange bitterness growing in the Bachelor. Was it present in the past couple of days and Artemiy simply did not notice, or were it a product of yesterday? Artemiy wasn't sure but he was troubled by this development either way.

The Bachelor was an ally and, in some respects, even a friend – it would be a shame for this relationship to crash and burn just because of Bachelor's paranoid emotions, fueled by God knows what sort of uncouth thoughts.

Now, this is an interesting thing! What was an executor doing by Alexander Saburov's door? Was he sick? Artemiy decided to investigate.

This man is sick. No – do not blame yourself. It's obvious that one of your colleagues-competitors didn't preserve him... Perhaps, they even set his demise up. In any case, you cannot enter. Quarantine. A sorrowful watch.

Isn't there anything I can do to help him?

Whatever Alexander Saburov may have done, Artemiy wanted to protect as many people form the plague as he could.

He is a simple human being, even if he is an Adherent. You can cure him just as you can cure anyone else. You are the doctor here – it's your call.

Very well – I'll try and think of something.

There was no Panacea left, but Artemiy may have had something else. Artemiy rummaged about in his pack and produced a box with some white powder in it. He confiscated a number of these little boxes from the kids over the days – four in total.

On the first day, a Doghead told Artemiy that these powders supposedly cured the Sand Plague at the cost of great harm to one's health. It seemed like hogwash at the time – how can a random collection of antibiotics cure the plague? The reality of the situation was that Alexander Saburov was dead within six hours without a cure and there wasn't any to be found but this. Besides, this would make a good test case for these powders, however grizzly it might be.

Behind this door is a victim of your inattention. A victim of your neglect for your duty as a doctor!

The fellow was laying it on a bit too thick...

I have a box of children' powder right here. It may help.

This? You must be joking! This will make this man a lifelong invalid! It will burn out his innards along with the disease! Are you sure that you want to rid him of the Sand Fever for this price?

Yes. Feed the powder to him.

The Executor shrugged and went inside. After five minutes, he still did not come out, and Artemiy decided to go on his way. If Alexander Saburov was still alive tomorrow, Artemiy would know that this unorthodox cure worked.

Dire times call for dire measures and Artemiy was sure that no one could entirely blame him for this decision. If it worked, then Artemiy would have another cure option on his hands. Alexander was doing a public service – something he always strived to do.

In any case, this was an interesting and, perhaps, useful detour. Thoughts on it have certainly killed the time it took to get to the Apiary!

The men at the door were a tad more disagreeable today, but they did let him in in the end.

The situation in the Apiary seemed slightly better now that there wasn't an active blockade going on. Nonetheless, there were still many infected here much to Artemiy's dismay.

The door to Mother Superiour's abode was open and unguarded – quite strange, but then nobody of the Order would dare to think to go against her will.

Her chambers were still guarded, as well.

It's good that you're still alive!

Mother – I need to get into the Abattoir. They say that you can open the passage.

They are right to say so!

So, open it up.

If you reveal something for me, then I will! Let's trade?

Depends on what you want in return.

This Klara is very tricky! She began telling me a tale about a crystal flower. It was so interesting! She didn't finish her tale, though – she wants to get something from me in return.

What is it?

Well, that's the thing! You should've heard the tales that she weaves. I can feel that I'm under her spell and must obey her whims! I don't get it, at all, but I feel as if I'll have to give up my life for her...

This extremery powerful girl was quite terrified of this prospect – to the point of tears, it seemed.

How so? Here, here – don't cry.

Yeah... Or, it's like she will ask me to give up something that I shouldn't give up... She'll come soon and will start riddling her riddles... What am I to do? Perhaps, Kapella can help? Maybe she can, maybe she can't...

It's only a tale... Still – you want me to find it out for you?

Reveal the end of Klara's tale for me! It's a tale about an ice prince and a crystal flower. How did it end? She will come here, and I'll already know everything! She will fail and won't be able to make me do anything – she won't have any power left over me!

Very well – I will.

Whose blood is it?

Tychik's daughter isn't fussing – it seems that the Impostress really charmed her with her witchcraft. The girl won't calm down until she finds out the end of her tale – there is something important waiting for her at its end. Children's magic, though it clearly works. We'll have a talk with Klara... and with Kapella.

Taya mentioned that Kapella might know something about Klara's powers, and so the Olgimsky house became Artemiy's next stop.

The extent of Klara's powers was shaping up to be quite disturbing. Taya seemed entirely aware that she was under influence, but, nonetheless, was powerless to do anything about it. What sort of things could Klara force people to do? What has she been up to all these days?

With the girl's malevolent nature and her awareness of her powers, she could cause a whole lot of trouble. Luckily, there were two of them and each was working towards an opposing goal, which could mean that the two of them counterbalanced each other.

Kapella, being powerful in her own right, would know more.

Not much changed in the girl's house in the past couple of days. She still carried the same look of weariness on her face, though.

You came! I always knew that you were my friend, Artemiy! You are a friend, right? Listen to me, then! You know that I'm not just a daughter of a ruler. I carry a heavy burden of sacred power – a burden that you want to accept too, I know. I am the duchess and the sacred Servitor of the children!

The girl was serious and sincere, but Artemiy couldn't help but chuckle a bit at the zealousness of it all.

I know.

I want to solemnly ask you for your help. I beg of you – help me in a very important task. It's not only a good deed, but it is also important for the entire Town. Save the lives of a couple of children.

Are they in danger?

Yes! Horrible Klara is planning to use their lives and their childlike generosity to profit from them. I, on the other hand, can't do anything about it! She even has them feuding with me! I will help you with anything if you help me save their lives!

What is so horrible about her?

She is very powerful and dangerous. She is even more powerful than me, you know. It's because I create, while she destroys. Yes, indeed – that is her nature! She does not heal – while she kills the disease, you should also see those, whom she heals... She is stronger because she is a liar through and through, while I am the White Mistress - honest to the fault.

What does she need the children for, then?

She has special plans for them. Both me and her are looking for the same things in them... Self-reliance. Importance. Authority. I, however, am also interested in their human qualities, while she is looking for... something else... Somehow, she is planning to sacrifice them for her own gain!

You want me to watch after them?

Yes! Help them, Artemiy, and I will help you. I ask you as a child, and I will thank as a Ruler and a Mistress. Soon – it will all happen soon. You know, after all – the future is open to me. Help me gain power and I will help you keep it.

I don't need power.

But you need victory. Isn't that so? Can't you feel these bonds, these obligations, this trap that you were led into by the inevitability? Oh yes – you need victory! Otherwise, you won't become yourself! Let's help each other. Let's be grateful and generous to each other.

“Won't become yourself?” What does she mean by that? She is stranger than she ever were today... Still, Artemiy made a promise to this girl on the first day and he will keep it.

I won't do it for power – I'll do it because I'm your friend. I'll do it for you.

Don't let us down. You'll see – together we'll win.

You don't happen to know where Klara is, do you?

Lately, she had some dealings with Notkin. She was mucking about there, but I think she left without gaining anything. That's when she started showing her teeth. Long, crooked, sharp teeth... She could also be at Mishka's – she was asking Riddle about her...

Thank you, Victoria.

It was a short trek to Notkin's and it was supposed to be uneventful, but that was when Artemiy received a letter that would sour his mood considerably.

Bachelor's choice

Tomorrow, the military will be here. They came here to burn and crush. One can't sit idly on the fence – it depends on us as to whether something can be preserved out of all of this. I've made my choice.

I've come under the banner of a dream that has lost its battle with history. From now on, I will put all my strength towards saving those, who are doomed and their causes – causes that, just like them, were sentenced to death by the logic of evolution. I'm speaking about the so-called “utopians”. The four Kains, the architect brothers, my kind Eva and, as I'm hoping, Vlad Jr .

If these people survive then, perhaps, I'll manage to preserve one of the most wondrous monuments of this world. I don't hope that you will help me, but, at least, don't interfere with my affairs! Woe to you if it will be your fault that one of my “utopians” perishes! I will fight for my doomed banner until the end!

Bachelor Dankovsky

What sort of inane, hysterical drivel was this? What the hell was Bachelor thinking? Where was the man who earned Artemiy's respect through calmness, diligence and wisdom? What the gently caress was this and what was Artemiy supposed to do with this?

First, the man acts in a bizarre, emotional manner and he then proceeds to completely fly off the handle, lashing out at Artemiy in a perceived defiance of... of what, exactly? This also came mere hours after he asked Artemiy for help with a delicate matter that would mean Artemiy betraying the confidence of the Order, too! If he thinks that Artemiy will help him now, then he can bugger off with his bizarre, scattershot, self-righteous bullshit!

Artemiy was done, pure and simple. This was a first for him, too, for he wasn't used to acting in a vindictive or angry manner, but this was a betrayal of trust and respect! Daniil could have come to him with this matter as a friend, but, instead, he chose to approach this in a manner that was, frankly, insane. The consequences of this were his to bear. Artemiy wasn't going to lash out against the Bachelor's “cause”, whatever the hell it was, but he was not going to provide any assistance to him anymore.

Artemiy usually kept the letters he received, but this one found its way into a trash bin awfully fast. Artemiy still had many matters to attend to and there was no use dwelling on this any longer - that was the end of that.

The kids of the warehouse, who were usually cocksure and quite rowdy, quieted down upon seeing him. Artemiy's dour mood was palpable, or so it seemed. He did not dally and headed straight to Notkin.

Well, aren't you angry-looking...

Have you seen Klara around?

I have – I'll even show you where! Quite the coincidence – she's looking for you! Quite forcefully, too – even I got scared. She's planning something, that Klara... I think that she'll trick us all.

Why do you think that she is up to some sort of trickery?

It's all gotten very lively around Klara in the past couple of days... Everything's about mysteries and all of them aren't looking too good. There's a bad air around her... She's so business-like lately, too – always demanding something and baring her teeth... She won't answer any questions, too – like she's hiding something. I'm creeped out by all of this, truth be told...

You aren't easily scared, too...

Yeah – that's why I'm telling you that you should be careful around her... She's planning something... It doesn't look good, mark my words. We should be careful so that she doesn't include us in the chain of her plans, although, by the look of it, she already has... It won't be enough that we'll lose out, but we'll also end up looking like it's our fault...

The kid was right to be paranoid, but he seemed to be overly so. Everyone around Artemiy was in a strange, exaggerated state today – except for Aglaya, that is...

We'll figure it out, don't worry...

Notkin pointed Artemiy to Mishka's wagon – just like Kapella did. It was located right next to the station, so Artemiy headed right there.

A week later and there were still no trains from the Capital. That will likely change tomorrow, but one would be hard-pressed to hope that the military will bring anything but more destruction with it.

There didn't seem too much hope for the Town except for the work of the healers. One of them, however, is a strange girl with mystical powers who also has a clone that is an avatar of the disease that everyone was trying to cure, while the other one just went batshit insane with bitterness and despair. It seemed that everything depended entirely on Artemiy.

There were hushed whispers coming from the wagon – since Mishka was usually alone, that must have meant that Artemiy was on the right track. He knocked on the door and opened it without waiting for an answer.

Klara smirked upon seeing Artemiy, but Mishka remained her usual detached self. He decided to talk to the “owner of the house” first.

Quite the tale they've told me... How could she say those things?

What sort of tale?

About an orphan and the underground denizens. About the gehkens, the falselegs who live in the Earth and dig tunnels under the houses... Also, about the water from Sugag Hadug...

What is so scary about it, then?

A lot. I've asked Klara if she can talk to my Mom and Dad and ask them how to not get sick... Instead, she told me that she'll tell me such a tale that both of them will come alive and I'll be able to talk to them myself... That's when she started telling the tale...

Come alive? How so?

I don't know. I've listened to most of the tale but I still didn't get it. She didn't finish it, either! I'll be worrying now because of it!

Why?

Because she summoned Mom and Dad! That's how it was in the tale. What if they come back and I don't know where they are? That part must be at the end of her story!

Klara was clearly pulling the same trick she did with Taya.

Don't think about it like that, Mishka.

No! What if I'll know how to meet them by the end? What if they come back?

The little girl was in tears and Artemiy had nothing to do but to leave her alone for now – there wasn't much he could do to help her right now. He turned to Klara, although he wasn't quite sure which one of them it was.

What do you need, Ripper?

Artemiy decided to not reveal his hand too early, considering Klara's treachery and all that.

Some Dualsouls told me a funny story lately – something about crystal flowers...

Where did they know this little tale from?

Well, they don't rightly know. They said that it had a funny ending, though...

There's nothing funny about it - it's quite scary, actually! I can't believe that they laughed...

One of them was laughing so hard that he got a bad case of hiccups. Especially during the part about the prince, or so they told me...

They couldn't have laughed, surely! Which part were they laughing about? The part where the prince despaired and decided that such a flower would never bloom in his garden? Or was it when all the other flowers started dying out because the crystal flower was taking everything – water, air and even light – from them? Was that it?

No, I think it was some other part...

Was it the part where the gardener came out with the scissors, but the prince tricked him so that, instead of the crystal flower, the gardener began cutting all the other live flowers? Or was it when the horrible flower grew seeds and a garden grew out of it that was a thousand times more beautiful than the old one, while the regular flowers never grew there again?

There was more to it, I'm sure of it – they said so themselves.

That's the ending. There can't be any more. They're lying!

That must be the case, then... They can't seem to trick you – good on ya, Klara.

Artemiy got what he wanted, even if he couldn't quite help Mishka right then and there. For now, he could only hope that Klara would finish her treacherous tale and leave the little girl alone.

Still, Artemiy could not say he wasn't proud of his own little bit of trickery that he pulled on Klara. Of course, it was also very likely that she was aware of what was going on and decided to go with it anyway. Still, that wasn't probable, since she must have known then just what Artemiy would use the ending of this tale for. There was, however, another consideration here.

Whose blood is it?

Now, I can come back to Tychik's daughter and finish the tale. It's not known, however, what sort of reaction she will have to it... I dearly hope that Klara won't manage to pull a trick on us all...

There was a sort of danger to it, but there was nothing to be done about it, since Taya was the only ticket into the Abattoir for Artemiy. With this in mind, Artemiy began heading in the direction of the Apiary, although, before doing so, he took a little break.

HellishWhiskers fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Oct 8, 2014

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl
Updated the character bios a bit and will work on updating other side sections over the week as well.

The reaction to the Bachelor's letter may be a bit exaggerated, but that's pretty much how I felt about it the first time I played through the game - it annoyed the hell out to the point of IRL profanity.

Also, a bit of apologies for being four days overdue for the date I said I would produce the update, but that was, again, due to the aforementioned troubles. Schedule should even back out now and, maybe, I'll try and get updates out with more frequency so that we can get to the juicier end bits faster.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
That story is weird.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
Glad to have ya back, no matter the pacing!

The fact that characters go from helpful to bitter rival in this game is annoying, but also helps set the mood that everyone is desperate and grasping at straws for an answer.

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl

RedMagus posted:

The fact that characters go from helpful to bitter rival in this game is annoying, but also helps set the mood that everyone is desperate and grasping at straws for an answer.

It would be okay if it occurred in an organic manner, but it really doesn't - at least, not in the way I played it. I think the reason for that is the fact that the guys at Ice-Pick sort of screwed up the writing of that part.

The way that choice functions in most dialogues in this game is pretty straightforward. During the conversations, you usually have the "main" branch that you will go through no matter what, and then there are options that will take you out on the side branches of conversation that will then get folded back into the main branch. Not much reactivity there.

Most of the dialogue you can have with Bachelor, however, functions a bit differently in that your available dialogue choices usually change depending on what sort of choices you initially pick. If you start the conversation by being rude or smarmy with him, his lines will stay mostly the same without much reactivity - some options may be cut off, but nothing exceedingly major - but the lines that you can pick will change into ruder, smarmier and generally more negative versions of them. That means that if you're an rear end in a top hat, you'll essentially keep being an rear end in a top hat and if you're nice and respectful, you'll keep being nice and respectful. This approach isn't necessarily unique to Bachelor, but his dialogue is where I've seen this happen the most.

Now, this is a nice way to let the player have more control of defining the relationship between Artemiy and Daniil and it would've worked pretty well were it not for the fact that the relationship hits a scripted brick wall on Day 8. If your Haruspex was rear end in a top hat to the Bachelor, then the letter makes sense and it works, but if you played nice at every turn possible then it just looks like the Bachelor is flipping his poo poo for no reason. That's just feels like an annoying case of bad railroading.

I think a good comparison to this is the Mass Effect 3 ending, where, up until that point, you were given a way to make things your own, only to have that taken away from you at the whim of the writer.

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl
The Reader - Victoria Olgimsky, the White Mistress

[taur.4.1]

“...The Town has been torn into two by the confrontation of their [Olgimsky and Kain – Ed.] fearsome wives. On certain days, everything was imbued by a terrible sort of tension – that meant that the Mistresses are “spinning their yarn”. The streets were empty. People were sitting tightly in their homes and wouldn't dare come outside, as if a hurricane was rampaging outside. It seemed as though anyone who would come outside and cross the street would be inevitably drawn into a maelstrom of powers, over which no living man had any power. Such days, however, always passed and people, with a sigh of relief, opened their doors, while the Mistresses, in their new attires, went from house to house and gave gifts, smiles and their grace. Their confrontation never stopped, but the people would occasionally stop feeling its true depth. That was entirely of Victoria's doing.”

[taur.12.2]

“While the heads of the Houses were mostly involved the matters of the executive power, defense and laws, their women, who were, by their nature, more in touch with the Earth and with the Steppe, took upon themselves the burden of power of a more sacred sort. In the Town, the wives of the three rulers garnered a reputation of powerful telepaths who knew their way around the higher supernatural powers. The first and the most powerful of the Mistresses was Victoria Olgimsky – something that is rather strange, considering her alien origin. [Remainder redacted – Ed.]

We've seen the mark that was left by this Victoria Olgimsky. It seems that, during her life, she was an extraordinary sort of woman who, after her death, became a sort of a local divine protector. People put flowers, baked goods, embroidered things, fruit, bowls with salt – all sorts of things, really – on her grave day after day. We've asked – what are these gifts for? They told us that these are their thanks for her protection from Nina Kain, who, after her death, still persists in haunting people and miring their minds in fog...”

[from a letter concerning the Olgimsky children]

“If the main characteristic of Vlad [Olgimsky – Ed.] was his heaviness, the Victoria's was her softness that was accentuated in all her actions – her movements, her intonation and the manner in which she conducted her affairs. Nonetheless, she was a strong and willful woman. She knew how to stand her ground or how to arrange things in such a way that the situation would resolve itself in a way, in which she wanted it to. In the end, she was a wife that was worthy of her authoritative husband.

The entire population of our Town always called her its benefactor, even if she was never involved in any sort of charity, whether it be giving away money, creating orphanages or caring for those who couldn't take care of themselves. She has done very little in terms of actual good deeds, but she has always “spun her yarn”. In the way that I understood it, this meant that, by the virtue of her existence, she didn't allow the ill omens or destructive events to even occur. The people felt and that is why they loved her.

This indescribable sort of art – the ability to grant people joy and to turn them towards love by simply being yourself – she passed on to her daughter, Victoria Jr. Everything that is good in Kapella was passed on to her from her mother – something you should take care to keep in mind.”

[An excerpt from private correspondence]

“Victoria left shortly after Nina's death and without any obvious reasons for doing so. It is considered that she has done so on purpose – in order to preserve her ability to contain her rival who seemed to have obtained a mystical sort of power over the Town after her death. It would, indeed, seem that, after Victoria rejoined Nina, the Town took a sigh of relief as the people felt a touch of familiar hands which have always tucked them in at night and the flutter of wings that enveloped them, all the while keeping the recently-opened abyss at bay. Victoria who, during her life, has taught us to love a human being simply because it was a human being, now became a keeper of the familial hearth and the defender of the weak and the poor...”

[Libr.XIX]

“Vainly do they believe that Victoria was locked in combat against Nina... Foolish are those who are trying to establish Victoria's greatness by cladding her in the clothes of a white sorceress who defeated an evil witch. That is certainly not where Victoria's true greatness was hidden. Naive are those who imagine her to be a kind mother who protected her children from a night's nightmare. Warmth and cold, a house and a road, darkness and a star – all of them embody the marginal extremes that are, nonetheless, extremely close to one another. Only with each other could the Mistresses share their cosmic loneliness.

Victoria's true greatness was in the fact that she loved her rival much more than her rival loved her. Being stronger than Nina, Victoria, the people's protector, showed Nina the True paths and allowed her merciless Truth to triumph.”

HellishWhiskers fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Oct 12, 2014

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

HellishWhiskers posted:

Updated the character bios a bit and will work on updating other side sections over the week as well.

The reaction to the Bachelor's letter may be a bit exaggerated, but that's pretty much how I felt about it the first time I played through the game - it annoyed the hell out to the point of IRL profanity.

Also, a bit of apologies for being four days overdue for the date I said I would produce the update, but that was, again, due to the aforementioned troubles. Schedule should even back out now and, maybe, I'll try and get updates out with more frequency so that we can get to the juicier end bits faster.

I forget what it is in the Bachelor's quest line that makes him get all !!! at you. I'll have to look it up again.

I didn't think it was too over the top, either way. Lilich is in a relatively same position Burakh was put in when he showed up. She's a part of the town's lineage, hated by powerful locals, and arbitrarily condemned to death, since we have no idea what the hell she did to earn that kind of ire from the authorities, so the narrative worked on that end.

Anything more than that might be pushing it, but, yeah, it worked. That, and the sense of 'well gently caress you, too, buddy t:mad:"

Totally stoked for the next update.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

curiousCat posted:

That story is weird.

I... actually get what that story's about, though it's more to do with the Bachelor's path.

We did have a Bachelor LP on the forums, didn't we?

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Glazius posted:

I... actually get what that story's about, though it's more to do with the Bachelor's path.

We did have a Bachelor LP on the forums, didn't we?

I remember reading it, and I remember the broad strokes of what the Bachelor is on about in his letter to Haruspex. I don't know if discussing it is spoilery, though, because it's something this thread has only barely mentioned.

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl

CirclMastr posted:

I remember reading it, and I remember the broad strokes of what the Bachelor is on about in his letter to Haruspex. I don't know if discussing it is spoilery, though, because it's something this thread has only barely mentioned.

Nah, go right ahead. I very much doubt that I'll manage to get to Bachelor's scenario so it's all good. Hell, one doesn't even need to know the Bachelor's path to guess what the story is referring to - the imagery is pretty on-the-nose.

(It probably isn't though and me thinking that way is simply a product of me spending way too much time around this game.)

HellishWhiskers fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Oct 15, 2014

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl
Chapter Eight – Part 2

Considering the fact that the adherents were starting to get ill, it was now Artemiy's lot to check up on the most important personages of the Town. One of such personages, Vlad Jr., lived quite near to the train station, and Artemiy decided to pay him a visit. Something told him that it was quite important to do so.

It was a fair bit after the noon, and the Steppe fog was making its way onto the Town's streets. The fog behaved in this manner as far back as Artemiy remembered, but it still felt much more oppressive and choking than it ever did.

It suddenly occurred to the Haruspex that the feeling of terrible predestination and dread has always hung in the Town's air and it all may have been in preparation for the plague.

Now this is new – Vlad Jr. was quite fond of his well, so one has to wonder as to what caused this? At the very least, Artemiy won't have to go down to that hellhole again.

Hang on a second.

This was the same picture that Artemiy found attached to his map today. It looked mass-produced, so Artemiy didn't have any suspicions about Vlad Jr. being responsible for all the odd pictures he has been getting in the past two days, but it was still interesting to find this image out in the wild.

By this point, Artemiy was sure that the situation – Artemiy wandering about Vlad Jr.'s hideout and pointedly disregarding him – was getting awkward and decided to turn his attention to Vlad Jr.

Do you see what happened?

I do, but I don't quite get it. Why did you clog up the well?

That is a story that is quite unfortunate. A gang of marauders that was escaping from a blockaded district with their loot was accosted by some brave citizenry. The patrolmen also pitched in, of course. In any case, that's not the meat of this story.

Yeah – I don't quite see the connection, either.

Artemiy could suddenly see why the Bachelor considered Vlad Jr. to be “his” Adherent – just like Kains and the two brothers-architects, Vlad Jr. had a penchant for meandering nonsense.

The bandits turned out to be far from pushovers. They began retreating, started taking potshots – two of their pursuers got killed. In any case, someway and somehow – across the rooftops, yards and such - they made their way here. That's when one of them remembered my well...

My guess would be that at least one of these bandits worked on digging this well a couple of days ago.

Yes – that is my thought exactly! The clumsy citizenry lost them along the way and that gave these marauders time to break in here, throw their loot down the well and even jump down there as well. That was when their pursuers caught up to them.

This was an awfully prolonged story that bored the hell out of Artemiy.

How do you know all this, exactly?

Some of their pursuers told me about it – I would've been much happier to have them lose track of these marauders, truth be told.

Why?

When the citizenry broke their way in and saw the last marauder making his way down the well they tried to go after them, but the marauders started shooting back and killed another one of the pursuers. It was clear that they were planning to ambush their pursuers down there. That's when one of the pursuers got a brilliant idea.

To block the well?

Exactly. Without a second thought, the brave and fair-minded citizenry decided to bury the marauders alive. As you can see, they seem to have succeeded. I'm not too worried about losing the well – I've already managed to confirm its uselessness. I'm saddened by a rather tragic loss.

What loss?

There were some very valuable notes of mine lying on the edge of this well. You know that I've been quite curious about the Steppe folk's traditions. I've been collecting information about them for many years. Before me, there was another exceedingly... worthy man who has been doing so, as well. There is some truly priceless knowledge down there – quite rare, too. You have to get that book back for me!

Vlad Jr.'s last sentence was quite forceful – uncharacteristically so for a rather soft-spoken, meandering fellow.

Do you actually want me to go down there after them?

Yes! There is another entrance into this tunnel by the Theater, after all. All the loot that you'll find on the marauders is yours, and I will be certain to reward you with everything I have! These notes are absolutely priceless for me – just the fifty two recipes of Tvyrine or the description of the Rite of the Heads are worth a fortune...

Very well... I'll try.

Under the Earth

It would seem that Vlad Jr. holds his book quite dear... By the breadcrumbs did he assemble the notes on Steppe traditions and wrote down the knowledge that I sorely need nowadays... In order to get this book back, I'd need to find another entrance down to the tunnels. Perhaps, the Rat Prophet can be of help in this matter?

The last time Artemiy went down into those tunnels was quite peaceful, but having to navigate the maze once more with bloodthirsty bandits in it was not an enticing prospect by any stretch of imagination.

Artemiy had only a vague recollection of the path he took from the well to the Theatre exit a couple of days ago, so it seemed that he was, once again, in for a fun ride.

Artemiy, truth be told, had other matters to attend to as well, and some of them were much more interesting and urgent. The Theatre, on the other hand, wasn't too much of a detour on the path back to the Apiary and he could, just as well, perform Vlad Jr.'s task simply because he was asked to.

Despite that, Artemiy still questioned just why was he helping Vlad Jr. - a fellow, of whom the Haruspex wasn't of the best opinion. Besides, he was also quite annoyed by the fact that he was, once again, running poorly conceived errands for the sake of who knows what. If the Olgimsky family was so influential, then why not simply hire more qualified roughnecks and send them down into that tunnel? It would, at least, save time...

These fussy thoughts, however, allowed Artemiy to pass the time he spent walking to the hatch that led down to the Rat Prophet's lair. Secretly, Artemiy hoped that the smarmy thing would be gone. That would be quite likely, too – I don't imagine that the bandits had a lot of patience for that thing's tone.

The lid was heavy but it wasn't blocked. Once more, Artemiy began his descent under the earth.

Once Artemiy jumped down on the stone floor of Rat Prophet's lair, events began unfolding quite fast. Firstly, Artemiy heard a click coming from the hatch through which he came, followed by a metallic thud – from the object that someone used to block the hatch, or so Artemiy wagered. Secondly, a rather large, angry-looking fellow brandishing a knife began barreling towards Artemiy.

Artemiy was caught off-guard, but he still had his sawn-off handy.

Strangely enough, no more men came out – odd, considering that this seemed to be an ambush of some sort and that they seemed to have an associate on the surface who was waiting for someone to come down there. The logical thing to do would be to try and overwhelm anyone who came down here, yet the ambush, so far, consisted of a single fellow with a knife. How strange.

One, however, can't be too surprised about the fact that local bandits weren't particularly intelligent folk. Still, having to face a number of them within these confined tunnels could be troublesome – especially if one of them gets a jump on you.

With all this fighting excitement, Artemiy failed to make note of the fact that the tunnels were completely quiet. Either the presence of Isidore's voice was tied to the Rat Prophet or it wasn't willing to show itself in the presence of ruffians.

Still, this wasn't at all on Artemiy's mind as he was trying hard to spot threats before they spotted him.

The fellow had his back turned to Artemiy – something that allowed our hero to sneak up to the bandit and bring the guy down with a shot to the back of the head.

Another strangeness of these tunnels revealed itself while sailing past Artemiy's head. If one were to discharge firearms in a tightly confined space – like, say, a tunnel – then one would readily report the deafening consequences of such an action. This was, however, not the case here – the walls seemed to soften the sound, absorbing at least some part of it through some unknown means. This was highly unnatural and yet another example of the Earth, on which the Town was built, harbouring many secrets.

Artemiy didn't have a chance to make a note of this because of yet another knife-brandishing thug closing in on him.

He was dispatched, though not as easily as the first two and Artemiy decided to try and move faster, since the frequency of attacks seemed to be increasing. He wanted to be out of here as fast as possible.

With nothing to really go on, Artemiy decided to go with the right-hand rule. In the end, it paid off.

Artemiy tried to call for Vlad Jr. to let him now that he found the book, but Vlad seemed to be out for the moment. In any case, it's not like he would be of much help from the other side. Artemiy decided to take a look at the little book.

This was rather interesting, but nothing immediately useful to Artemiy's efforts. At best, it could contain some information regarding the Udurgs and what exactly they are, but Artemiy didn't quite have the time to painstakingly go through these notes right now.

Under the Earth

I can return now. I've found it. Quite an interesting collection of notes, this little book... Especially so since it's handwritten, and all... One has to note, however, that this is merely a collection of dead tales, rumours and descriptions of useless rites – only a tine piece of the true wisdom of the Ancient Steppe. A layer of thin film on the surface of a deep swamp.

Finding his way back was less tricky that getting to the Well.

The corpses of the bandits served as breadcrumbs and there didn't seem to be any further resistance – there probably were more bandits in the tunnels, as they were quite expansive, but Artemiy was happy to avoid them.

Nearing the exit, Artemiy wondered just how he would get the hatch to open now that it was blocked. Still, he decided to give it a push.

To his surprise, the hatch opened with rather little difficulty – somebody must have removed the blockage and opened it back up. Rather strange, but stranger things have happened in the recent days.

Since Vlad Jr. didn't seem to be at his hideout yet, this was a good time to go back to the Apiary and bring Taya the end of the tale that she seemed to vie for. At the very least, it should provide Artemiy with an entrance to the Abattoir and an audience with the Elder.

Getting closer and closer to the end, it seemed that the Town was getting a fair bit more violent. There seemed to be more bandits on the streets, more sick people in the blockaded districts – everything was truly falling apart.

More and more, the matter of finding the Udurg and upholding his father's legacy was becoming a matter of professional pride for Artemiy rather than a matter of survival. They were getting more and more alike in that regard, him and Aglaya.

Besides – why would his quest being hopeless stop Artemiy? It's not like it was quite hopeful to begin with, and he was making quite a bit of progress yesterday? There is no reason to stop now, however much the rest of the Town might be degrading. As long as there are still townsfolk to save, there is no reason for stopping.

The three patrolmen were already treating Artemiy as a regular, not inhibiting his entrance into the Apiary at all.

The mood in the Apiary was slightly worried as the rumours of Taya's strange behaviour must have spread. It was good that Artemiy was about to put an end to this issue.

It's good that you're still alive!

Taya was repeating herself.

Want to hear the end of the tale about the cold prince?

Oh – tell me! Tell me now!

The crystal flower became the greediest of all the flowers in the garden. It drank everything it could from the soil. Most of all, he took in all the light from the sun – even the air became cold because of it!

I see... What did the prince do when it was time to finally rip it out of the Earth?

The prince arranged it so that the gardener would rip out another flower instead of the crystal one.

Hmm – so it would seem... That's what the story was leading up to, after all... So what – was the flower the only one left in the garden.

It was. It grew large and gave seeds, though, and from them a beautiful garden did grow – a hundred times more beautiful than the previous one.

So that's how it was... Yeah – that's probably true... What an evil prince! Why did he let all those simple flowers perish?

The little tale was clearly an analogy of some sort like most of them are, but Artemiy didn't quite have all the details to piece it together, and neither did he have the time to try and do so.

Open the way to the Abattoir for me, Mother.

Go right ahead. I'll fall asleep now and, in my dreams, I'll open the Big Maw for you. You know where it is, right? Go through the corridor between the two sections and you'll get right up to the Maw!

Thank you, Mother.

Whose blood is it?

The path into the Abattoir is open. It seems that Taya Tychik wields a great deal of power indeed... It's quite well that she's yet to realize the nature of her true power... While she is still little, the Order will keep and protect her like it would a sacred child, all the while catering to her every whim. That's how it was with her grandmother too, or, at least, that's what Father told me...

Artemiy still didn't quite know what to make of the little tale that the Impostress told him, but, at least, its effect on Taya seemed to have evaporated for now.

While approaching the Big Maw, Artemiy realized that there was a letter in his pocket. He proceeded to open it up.

Kapella is begging for her comrades' lives

A lot of things have changed. Now, the danger to us is emanating from an entirely new side. The stage is occupied by a number of new heroes and they are quick to insinuate that it is time for the old ones to disappear. I don't want my friends to fall into oblivion!

Aglaya is saying that the three families don't have any power left – that is not true! I'm guessing that you too would like to think so, yes? It is the time of the Order. We are all returning back to Earth, right?

However far-reaching your plans may be, you will still need a Mistress. There is another Town here besides the Order. Only in the name of a ruling family could one lord over the civilized folk.

Don't be so hasty to deny us!

Help me, and who knows? Maybe, there will come a day when I'll be able to help you fulfill your predestination in a better way...

This was the second letter today that obviously treated Artemiy as if he knew something he most assuredly did not. It was getting quite annoying, actually – being shouted at for very little discernible reason often is.

This also made the second time when a person whom Artemiy considered to be both intelligent and trustworthy turned into people, whose sanity and intelligence is questionable at best. This was quite unfortunate – especially since Artemiy felt a sense of respect and loyalty for young Kapella. He wasn't going to stop helping her, but this proved that she was becoming unreliable at best.

Unfortunately for Artemiy, the coming conversation is most likely not going to be particularly jovial, either.

You seem to be coming here quite often, kinsman. Perhaps, you're looking to do some work for boos Vlad? The plague might be ravaging our Town, but the work must go on. Perhaps, you are an odonkhe? If so, then you should bring us a bull. Perhaps, you are a butcher? If so, then you should kill a bull for us and prepare him for transportation.

Oyun decided to take the “snide rear end in a top hat” approach to his conversation with Artemiy – most uncouth, that.

I want to ask you a question about the origins of blood that you gave me yesterday night.

You may, but you won't receive an answer from me. Why should I share such knowledge with you? You won't be able to accept it properly – it will surely tear you apart.

I am the son of Isidore Burakh. It is not your place to judge my knowledge, Oyun.

The Elder was taken aback, but only for a second. The look of surprise was soon replaced by a crooked smile.

I see before me a man who claims to be the son of Burakh. You have not accepted his inheritance and that is why you are not worthy to be called the son of your Father.

That is a lie – I have fully accepted my Father's inheritance!

Have you accepted the duties of your father and the obligation to save the lives of those whom he deemed to put under his protection?

I have.

Have you accepted his possessions? His house, his flesh, his food, his signs?

This was not entirely true, but what the hell? In for a penny, in for a pound, and all that.

I have!

Then show me the tool, with which he drew the line on the Earth and with which he opened the lines during the rituals? Where is the Uday that should be hanging around your neck like a proud challenge so that everyone can see who is the one who cherishes and protects the lines in the Burakh taglur?

I don't know what you are talking about, but I will fix this.

I will only speak to you when you will have your father's Uday on your breast. It seems that the one who passed your Father's inheritance on to you has hidden something from you...

The Elder clearly was all too happy to find an excuse to get rid of Artemiy.

Wait for me, Elder – I will be back.

Whose blood is it?

It would seem that I did not fully accept my Father's inheritance after all! It's always these bloody symbols, figures, metaphors that always have to deciphered... What a nuisance... Does this mean that Ospina lied to me? I can scarcely believe that... Why does it seem that all of them are averting their eyes whenever the topic of conversation turns to my inheritance?

This was quite annoying, of course, but Artemiy felt the need to stay his anger. Surely there was a reason behind Ospina's actions, and Artemiy wanted to know it before flying off the handle about this.

Up until this point, Ospina struck Artemiy as someone very loyal to him – if she truly hid a part of Artemiy's inheritance from him, then she must have done so out of a kinder desire. A desire to protect, perhaps? If so, then from what?

Ospina's house was in the same old spot. Artemiy hadn't been here for a couple of days, but not much seems to have changed.

The interior was its own old gloomy self...

...just like Ospina herself.

I press the palms of my hands onto your footprints, Oinon...

There was an unsettling sort of supplication in Ospina's voice. It wasn't quite there in the first days – did something change? Artemiy decided to ask her some side questions before moving on to the main topic at hand.

Ospina, tell me – where do the Long Taglurs get their power from?

Them? They know the lines, of course. That is quite obvious. They know how to open the secret lines of a body, a word, the sky, earth and even water. At least, that's how it was in the days of yore.

The Long Taglurs were the long family lines that permeated the positions of authority and had power over traditions in the Steppe Folk's culture. The Burakh Taglur was one of them.

That is not what I am talking about. Why is their rule so powerful?

Hmm? What is it that surprises you?

How can the Elder rule without an armed force to support his position? Why does the Order tolerate him? Why does the leader of the ruling family tolerate him?

... That is the power of Authority. Reputation. Everyone rules over his own. Your kind had power in places where the rulers didn't. The news that reached the rulers only did so after you have resolved everything yourselves. The Olgimsky family bent the Order to its will only recently. The Odonkhe are still more powerful...

If that is the case, then how should one explain the riots in the Apiary?

Not everything works smoothly... Sometimes, the Elders grow old, sometimes the Order sets itself ablaze in response to Suokh's fever and worrying... Sometimes, they simply disagree with the Apiary's commandants, while other times, the Order drew the ire of a Mistress. In any case, the Order obeys and abides. Always.

Does that mean that the authority of Burakhs still holds sway?

The power of Long Taglurs is strong. Always keep that in mind, oinon. Negotiations, Polyhedrons, politics and intrigues are the lot of the rulers. Earth, primal power, whirlpools and the sluggish ways of life are ours. Eternal battle for harvest. Yearly births. Gathering and hunting.

This was an interesting tidbit that explained quite a bit about the Order's mentality and its relationship with the rest of the Town. Now, however, was the time for the main question.

I'll keep that in mind. Now, Ospina – look me in the eyes. Tell me – did you give me everything from my Father's inheritance?

I confess – I haven't.

Explain yourself.

I have come to love you, Oinon. I want you to survive just too drat much. You were raised far from here. You have forgotten our ways. You needed someone here to be your friend and mentor. It was simply easier to hide it rather than explain why it is dangerous to keep this thing and why it is dangerous to use it...

You said that you grew to love me? How so?

Ospina's smile was sheepish and deeply sorrowful.

Only how a slave can love its master. How a thing can love its owner. Only how a dog can love. I know that an Odonkhe is forbidden to love a woman of the Order. I'm only loyal to you, Oinon – that is all.

Very well... What did you hide from me?

It is a bone. Boos Primogenius' Horn. Look. It confirms that you are the Elder in the line of Burakhs, that you are the one performing the rites and that you are the keeper of the knowledge of the Long Taglur.

Why have you hidden it from me?

I had a...feeling. A premonition, if you will... Besides, I had a feeling that this horn was precisely the thing that was used to pierce your Father's chest. I've managed to hide it from Saburov's ruffians when they were scouring the scene of the crime. If I had given it to you, then you would've been carrying the murder weapon around with you.

Murder? What is she talking about? Artemiy's father was killed by the disease? Did she have some other theory about Isidore's death? Matchstick did mention that Isidore was visited by someone large with a booming voice just before he died, but not much came of it... In any case, Ospina's reasoning was quite sound.

You did the right thing. Thank you.

Still – the Burakhs are a Long Taglur. You know the lines, you know how to open the bodies. You have the right of the Ritual. There are few of such lineages left. I didn't have the right to decide for you...

Tell me about the other lineages.

In this part of the Steppe the right of the Ritual is carried only by a few Taglurs. Mangyz, Beshech, Burakh, Oyun and Krukov – that's all. The last Mangyz has perished – well, he was killed by Black Nina, truth be told. Beshech family knew the lines almost as well as the Mangyz one, but, nowadays, Tvyrin has destroyed them.

These were the best of the Taglurs?

Yes... Well, yes and no. Everyone was the best along their own lines. Burakh were always adept at medicine and chirurgy. Mangyz were always the most cruel. Beschech were always the most numerous. Oyun and Krukov Taglurs, on the other hand, weren't even taken seriously... They were merely apprentices, not masters.

Interesting... Give me the horn.

It rightfully belongs to you. Take it and forgive me. I've only had good will towards you. You wouldn't be alive now, were it not for my decision. Now, be prepared that a lot of people will try and blame you for your father's death once more, and the same thing that happened a week ago may repeat itself...

Thank you Ospina. Now, everything will be different – I will protect myself on my own terms.

Whose blood is it?

I am closer and closer to the solution of this riddle. Ospina seems to be trying to take care of me. The Elder, on the other hand, is behaving as if I'm about to try and strangle him with my own two hands... I can return to him with this horn in tow.

Conversations with Ospina have always made Artemiy feel eerie, but this conversation left him feeling quite awkward. Ospina's tongue was poisonous and she was a caustic person through and through, but there was a very deep, sorrowful devotion and loyalty in her words and Artemiy didn't feel comfortable leaving it completely unrequited, however strange and downright creepy it may be. If there was a way to protect Ospina in the coming days, then he will surely try. That was Artemiy's vow.

It was time to re-enter Abattoir and to get some concrete answers from Oyun for once...

Artemiy began heading into the darkness. He was hoping that the stone door was open, but he did put out his outstretched hand just in case.

He was right to do so because the loving door was closed yet again! That meant, once more, that Artemiy had to go all the way around back to the Apiary. These people...

Oh hey - it's the same worm with the same spiel about some inane Arena fistfights! Just like before, he can bugger right off!

Artemiy was almost sprinting down the Town's alleys – this was a pointless and annoying delay and whoever closed that door deserved everything bad coming their way.

The patrolmen in the alley between the two Apiary section were a bit surprised by Artemiy's behaviour, but they've seen stranger behaviour in these days and Artemiy must have looked like one angry bloke so they paid him no heed.

Thankfuly enough, this door wasn't closed as well – otherwise, Artemiy would've had to go back to Taya to get the passage opened again. Nonetheless, Artemiy couldn't help but feel that someone was messing with him? Could it be just Oyun being a dick? That seems way too petty – even for him...

Whatever the case may be, Artemiy would have the chance to ask the man himself soon enough.

Speak.

I've accepted my Father's inheritance in full. Now – talk!

I see... A worthy action. I can see that you didn't have the horn not out of cowardice, but out of ignorance. From now on, keep it with you... What do you wish to know?

Where did the blood that you gave me yesterday come from?

This is the blood of Boos Primogenius, the likeness of Boos Turokh and the one who was named an aurox – an ancient Steppe taurus, whose lines are akin to the lines of the Universal Bull. It was a leftover from the sacrifice.

The sacrifice did not go the way you wanted it to. You could not have received the living blood from the animal that was killed yesterday!

That is true, yes, but I can always draw more blood from the Earth. It is the blood that feeds the body of Suokh – blood that flows in the veins under the Earth. It is the blood that we have, from time immemorial, drained down into the Earth, feeding the body of Boos Turokh, so that it would feed us in return.

Does that mean that you've gotten this blood from under the Earth? How old is it?

Under the Earth, warmed by Suokh's heat and given life by Suokh's breath, there is a mixture that is made up of thousands upon thousands upon thousands of bulls' blood. You shouldn't be too concerned about its age – now that it has been poured into Boos Turokh's veins, it is the living blood of Suokh.

This was a truly awful discovery. The Town was built on literal rivers of blood that festered underneath it for thousands of years. It is a small wonder that the Town hasn't perished from one horrible disease or another until now. There still was a chance, however...

How do you drain this blood down into the Earth?

I'll tell you about this little detail, too. Here, in the Abattoir – the heart of the House of Suokh – is a well that is connected to the veins that feed the Earth.

Can you get some of it back out?

Only an Odonkhe who is an Elder of the Abattoir and who belongs to a Long Taglur that knows the rite can summon the blood. It rises up from under the Earth and answers his call. I will not call it for you until you are my equal.

Being within reach of something that would finally help him save the Town from the accursed disease, Artemiy had, once again, slammed into a wall. This time, it was made of vanity and cowardice.

Why?

Why? Because I don't want you to have it and that is all the reason I need. You aren't worthy of even thinking about it. The sample that I gave you yesterday wasn't given for you, but for Boos Vlad. I did so by his order and to save him from hounding.

Fine. What do you want for it? What can I do to receive it?

Fulfill your sacrifice and fulfill your Father's obligation. When you will pass all the tests and complete all the goals and prove that you are worthy of performing this sacrifice is when you will be worthy. Not a second earlier. Come to me tomorrow – we'll talk.

Very well...

All this was very disheartening – a revelation about the true nature of things followed by an inability to do anything about it that stems from a single man's vanity and pettiness. This Town isn't cursed – it deserves everything that it has gotten and then some. The Town being built on rivers of blood was a metaphor that was only the cherry on the top of a horrible cake that was made up of all sorts of unseemly carnage.

Whose blood is it?

The Town is literally fed by blood... Its bosom is filled with capillaries that are, in turn, filled with sacred blood. Even if it has been poured down there after rites for thousands of years, one must still ask just how does it remain alive and warm? What is feeding this blood? Could it be...? No... I should talk about this with Aglaya...

This discovery, however, changed too much for just this footnote to suffice...

Who will the One Sought For be? Who will be the Healed One? That, in many ways, depends on the choice of the Sacrifice. That is quite true... I've heard this even when I was a child... A Sacrifice is inevitable... It's not a matter of superstition or even fear before the Mistresses' prophecies.

A Sacrifice is a prerequisite of an Udurg's continuing livelihood. It's not a matter of rites, but a matter of the Law of the higher order of things. The Sacrifice that is fated for me is singular and my lines will lead to Her and only to Her. That is inevitable. Her death will let me save the life of the One Sought for. It must be so.

…However, from the tales of old, I seem to remember that a Servitor can pick a Sacrifice. There is a certain freedom afforded here if one follows the rules.

A Sacrifice must be relevant. A Sacrifice must be equal. A Sacrifice must be inextricably connected to the one who is carrying it out. Without that, there will be no self-sacrifice in it and it will lose its power.

It must be so... isn't it?

Artemiy's faith in his worldview was wavering and, in this moment of weakness, Artemiy found another drawing in his pack. On it was the Truth – or, at least, an expanded fraction of it. These weren't simple drawings. These were the illustrations and encapsulations of the true state of affairs in this accursed Town and in this accursed World.

Even so, Artemiy still didn't quite know what to do with them or what to do about them... Perhaps, he didn't need to do anything just yet, but, when the time comes, Artemiy will be sure to keep this and other many truths of this Town in his mind.

HellishWhiskers fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Oct 30, 2014

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
:stare:

Oh my gods how must those tunnels smell if they're made up from blood and mud?

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.
Well, that would explain why Vlad Jr. had commissioned the digging of a second well in a town that already has a freshwater river flowing through it. But I guess the blood just didn't like him very much.

You're now well beyond where I've played through, HellishWhiskers, and this is amazing. The game just keeps getting more surreal, while doing it in small enough steps that you never quite call bullshit about the whole thing. I'm anxious to see how bizarre it all gets for our poor Haruspex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
This LP is loving awesome and since the only archived run of the Bachlor's playthrough is full of broken images you should do that run too.

This and the Devotress playthrough on the archive almost do the game better justice than the game itself.

• Locked thread