Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
You'd think that you'd get the stomach from fighting the stomach demon. Maybe he's got, like, part of the mouth? Tongue or something?

It's a fun game to watch, but I'm in agreement about manga Hyakki - he's just so happy once he gets a new body part back and rolls around waxing eloquent about how wonderful it is to hear actual voices and feel stuff with his actual real hand. The stoic action hero doesn't work as well with the premise as it could.

Handfight was great, though. Kind of easy, but just, like, part of the whole beast and not really trying that hard either. Let's fight a mountain. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Chapter 3: In the Belly of the Mountain (Part 3)

Encyclopedia: Chapter 3

Rhiodise
Feb 22, 2013
I'm not sure about meat tree exactly, but there's always the Bloodwood :black101:

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
The first Evil Dead. The tree was in the first one. That's all I'm going to toss in on that matter.

Also, it amuses me that Dororo has basically just killed the biggest Fiend and it got Hyakki one of the arguably worst parts to have returned to you in the kind of state he's in.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Greatly enjoying this LP---getting a kick out of all the little changes versus the black and white anime rendition, which is all I know/being slowly subbed to the point where the game will almost certainly get well ahead of it of not already.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Nobunaga was a serious iconoclast and Japan would be a pretty drat different place if he'd succeeded in his ambitions.

NAME REDACTED
Dec 22, 2010

Derek Barona posted:

Also, it amuses me that Dororo has basically just killed the biggest Fiend and it got Hyakki one of the arguably worst parts to have returned to you in the kind of state he's in.

I dunno, I'm pretty sure that anyone suffering from leprosy would tell you that having a sense of pain is /really useful/.

Also, speaking of creepy-rear end trees, Junji Ito had one that was quite creepy.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

NAME REDACTED posted:

I dunno, I'm pretty sure that anyone suffering from leprosy would tell you that having a sense of pain is /really useful/.

Well, I mean in the sense that there's no specification about whether or not Hyakki can actually feel the prosthetics bouncing around inside him now.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I think it would be somewhat annoying that now the controller vibrates whenever you get hit. That seems like a downgrade.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

NAME REDACTED posted:

Also, speaking of creepy-rear end trees, Junji Ito had one that was quite creepy.

That's actually one of his sillier stories. It helps that the body-horror is pretty cartoonish. It's nowhere near some of his stuff like Hell'o Dollies or Army of One. :gonk:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
This game is cool and good, and I am enjoying watching it greatly. The mountain boss fight kicked rear end and I can't wait to see how we step it up from that.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Sense of pain is pretty important. If there's no sense of pain it's easy to get a wound you never even notice.

Not that this is necessarily a problem for Hyakki.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I'm looking forward to this- Blood Will Tell wasn't very polished in some areas, but the attention to detail in other parts made it one of my favorite games on the PS2.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Oh man, this game.
I got it after seeing my cousin playing and it's still one of the games i remember the most from my PS2 even though it feels pretty disappointing at times. We though the disk was hosed up when the game started in black and white. :allears:

The body parts you have to recover get even more completely ridiculous as the game goes on but i still think it makes for a great progression mechanic.

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Sep 9, 2014

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Frionnel posted:

The body parts you have to recover get even more completely ridiculous as the game goes on but i still think it makes for a great progression mechanic.

Does Hyakki get ALL of his body parts back? :tutbutt:

This game looks pretty fun, i'm temped to find a copy.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Golden Goat posted:

Same.

Also if He gets his arms back does he lose his arm swords?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I figure he just grows arms over them. Actually that's probably why growing back this poo poo hurts so much, he's got like cogs and gears with a stomach growing over them.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

In the manga, when he regrows parts, it's pretty much all external bits, or whole limbs. The prosthetics just sort of fall off and he buries them where they lie as a kind of memorial.

I'm imagining that all this magic poo poo is just sort of burning out the prosthetics that are inside of him, since he can't very well puke out a kidney.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Chapter 4: The Wall (Part 1)

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

So, hang on a second: in the intro, the narration says that the wall splitting the town sprung up overnight. Given the setting, I'm inclined to take that as literal. But those kids say they were out playing when the wall went up and couldn't go back home.

Are those kids fiends? Are you sure this isn't Drakengard?

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

So, hang on a second: in the intro, the narration says that the wall splitting the town sprung up overnight. Given the setting, I'm inclined to take that as literal. But those kids say they were out playing when the wall went up and couldn't go back home.

Are those kids fiends? Are you sure this isn't Drakengard?

I'm just waiting for an excuse to use The Dark Id's "Trolled by Cavia" pic at this point.

So, as mentioned in the video, kitsune are usually troublemakers or otherwise mildly mischievious fox spirits that like to show up and screw with people from time to time. Anyone who knows how they work in most popular media or has ever watched Naruto will also recognize that that three-tailed one is merely a precursor to a much bigger boss waiting up ahead. As kitsune get older and more powerful, they generally grow more tails. Once they hit the magic number nine, they become what's sometimes called a Tenko, which is more or less a fully god-like kitsune in terms of power. It's not much of a spoiler at this point after the game itself revealed there are more fox demons around to assume we're gonna see at least a nine-tailed fox as one of the bigger fiends of the chapter.

AccidentalHipster
Jul 5, 2013

Whadda ya MEAN ya never heard of Dan Brereton?

I think every co-comentator has brought up Dororo's gender so far and it's still funny. I hope you get more blind co-comentators in the future Friendly, because it's nice to occasionally see an outside perspective to give us an idea of how far down the rabbit hole we've followed you.

And what's up with the sound design in this stage? Between the distortion effect, terrible voice acting, and overlapping sound clips, I can't even begin to guess what the possessed townsfolk are saying.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
In Chrono Cross if you do the Dario side quest. The Masamune fuses with your starting weapon into the Mastermune, which is slightly weaker than the Prisma Swallow but has a 100% crit rate.

That may be what you were thinking of.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Vicissitude should be careful throwing all those stones in his glass house. :colbert:

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

AccidentalHipster posted:

I think every co-comentator has brought up Dororo's gender so far and it's still funny. I hope you get more blind co-comentators in the future Friendly, because it's nice to occasionally see an outside perspective to give us an idea of how far down the rabbit hole we've followed you.

And what's up with the sound design in this stage? Between the distortion effect, terrible voice acting, and overlapping sound clips, I can't even begin to guess what the possessed townsfolk are saying.

I don't think I did, but then again, I was one of maybe three other people in the thread familiar with the game/manga. I was actually looking around for a decent LP of the game a while back, so the timing couldn't have been better.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

AccidentalHipster posted:

I think they are saying "die spy!"

And I agree on the voice acting. It seems like every new npc's voice is worse than the ones before it.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
For some reason it sounds like the possessed people are saying "Gatch-By" but I couldn't imagine what that's even supposed to mean.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Small Frozen Thing posted:

Vicissitude should be careful throwing all those stones in his glass house. :colbert:

I have no idea what this means, but okay.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Vicissitude posted:

Hey, I thought your commentary was funny, and you should definitely watch the rest of the videos if only to see Hyakkimaru engage in deadly combat with an entire mountain.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Vicissitude posted:

That's okay, in retrospect I don't really know either.
Thank you anyway, for being so agreeable. :tipshat:

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Small Frozen Thing posted:

That's okay, in retrospect I don't really know either.
Thank you anyway, for being so agreeable. :tipshat:

Oh, I'm a jolly fellow. I get along with everyone. But we'll see how long that lasts with this chapter :v:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Finally caught up--just discovered this thread this week, and I'm very much enjoying it, just as I did the last Fiendly thread. I won't be as informative as I was with Splatterhouse, as while I've seen many Japanese horror and fantasy films--including the live action Dororo film, and many focusing on Yokai--I don't actually know very many details about the Yokai themselves. So this has been educational in an area my knowledge is certainly lacking in. I love how Dororo's mocap actor completely nails the exaggerated gestures stereotypical of his character type that you see in chanbara films. Also, how am I the first one here to point out how much the grave fiend looks like Roberto from Futurama?! Finally, to Kaboom Dragoon, is it at all possible that your monster tree memory is of the 1990 film "The Guardian", which features a monster tree which bleeds profusely when cut?

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Arggh, I realize these guys don't have a clue when it comes to biology going by how hilarious some of the missing parts are, but lymph nodes do NOT work with the pancreas; they mixed up the pancreas with the spleen. Wonder if when Hyakki gets THAT back if they claim the spleen secretes insulin... :rolleyes:

Also, does Dororo EVER get genre aware enough to work out things like "the parents are possessed too!" before having it smashed in his face in this game? Starting to wonder if the inevitable twist in this game is we kill a Fiend and Dororo falls over clutching his head as the part of the brain responsible for common sense and/or logical thinking is regrown. At least he didn't get captured this time for a change.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

MadDogMike posted:

Also, does Dororo EVER get genre aware enough to work out things like "the parents are possessed too!" before having it smashed in his face in this game?

That isn't genre awareness. That's plain old normal kind of awareness, which Dororo lacks completely. Remember the time Hyakki warned him not to steal the cursed sword because it'll make you go on a killing spree, then he stole the sword and was completely surprised that he then was forced to go on a killing spree? Simple cause-and-effect relationships constantly evade Dororo. He's just lucky he's the second most badass living being alive who's capable of keeping up with a psychic cyborg samurai using such high-tech weaponry as his bare fists and rocks.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Honestly I think that kind of does fit with my earlier joke theory about Dororo being the human the Fiends made out of Hyakki's body parts, because Hyakki got his hippocampic synapse earlier. Dororo obviously can't generate short-term memory. His apparent lack of awareness is actually because he's physically incapable of it.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Golden Goat posted:

Gotta catch 'em all :dong:

IMO we won't seeing the best ones for a while since one is in chapter 7 and the other 2 are found on optional bosses.

Also, who did they hire to build that wall? I wouldn't be surprised if it simply fell on it's own any day now.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Chapter 4: The Wall (Part 2)

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

All that sword talk about how hitting people with the blunt end of the sword would cause it to shatter made me think of, for some odd reason, Musashi Miyamoto. You know, the guy that used bokken and who won a sword duel by using a boat oar to beat his opponent to death if you believe the myth.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Disentangling fact from legend with regards to Musashi Miyamoto is pretty difficult; he was definitely incredibly skilled and particularly excellent at dueling and enough independant sources verify those facts but some of the tales about him are pretty unbelievable even so.

Odds are the one about beating the poo poo out of a dude with a boat oar is probably true though; while boat oars aren't exactly ideal weapons there's still nothing wrong with a good solid stick for beating someone up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I like how Daigo's basically realized that Hyakki's his long lost son and become completely willing to take his poo poo, but will conveniently refuse to inform the two most important people who need to know about this fact until some time later after we've no doubt had to stab Tahoumaru in the face a few times.

• Locked thread