Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
First Spear
Jun 27, 2008

TKMobile posted:

Although... does Japan actually *have* arid deserts hanging around? I imagine there are *some* desolate places here and there and the Sengoku era probably left some barren patches, but honest to God deserts?

Not an honest to god desert, but it does have this region: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tottori_Sand_Dunes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
There's some subarctic rocky tundra stuff that can look like what's in-game... In the summer. During a truly horrific drought.
Otherwise, no, there's not really anywhere in Japan like that. :v:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

The answer is always "demonic influence".

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
I enjoy that most of the yokai are like just jerks for candies and poo poo like that.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.
They remind me of the Yule Lads.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
"The blade is possessed by a demon."

"I'm a go touch it!"

Dororo, do you listen to anything?

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Chapter 2: Dragon Brood (Part 2)

Encyclopedia: Chapter 2

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I give him a lot of crap for the whole "steal a demonic sword" thing, but I just want to note that I do give Dororo some credit for being the person willing to call people out on their bullshit a lot of the time. It makes me like the kid a lot more, barring his casual moments of suicidal stupidity.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

When I first played this chapter, I got to the 'cold dead fingers' line and thought we'd just lop his arm off and kill the sword. I was honestly expecting Tannosuke to be a recurring nemesis a la Azel from God Hand.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Derek Barona posted:

I give him a lot of crap for the whole "steal a demonic sword" thing, but I just want to note that I do give Dororo some credit for being the person willing to call people out on their bullshit a lot of the time.

A big part of that is do the fact that, being a child, he probably expects folks to be gracious towards those that help them thus he simply can't comprehend how the people he and Hyakki meet can be such ungrateful assholes.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Aug 31, 2014

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

When I first played this chapter, I got to the 'cold dead fingers' line and thought we'd just lop his arm off and kill the sword. I was honestly expecting Tannosuke to be a recurring nemesis a la Azel from God Hand.

I was actually expecting you to defeat Tannosuke, then Misaki to go crazy with grief and grab Dragon Brood for the second half of the boss fight.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I really like those cutscenes where he gets his body parts back. They do a good job of showing how :stonk: the process of getting them back is for Hyakki.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Well, I'm always happy to see Hyakki walk away and leave an actual living person behind. I am really curious what Hyakkimaru actually had at the start of this, as far as a body, and how it was all scraped together. I mean, he didn't have a spine. How did he function at all? He's missing major muscle groups, and portions of his brain. How do you even start to replace that with prosthetics? It's mind boggling how little sense any of this makes, and it doesn't seem to detract from the story at all.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

I am really curious what Hyakkimaru actually had at the start of this, as far as a body, and how it was all scraped together. I mean, he didn't have a spine. How did he function at all? He's missing major muscle groups, and portions of his brain. How do you even start to replace that with prosthetics?

Hyakki's ridiculous will to live combined with Dr. Honma's impossibly great skill at medicine. Dude made a prosthetic cerebellum.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
In other words, Anime.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Ratoslov posted:

Hyakki's ridiculous will to live combined with Dr. Honma's impossibly great skill at medicine. Dude made a prosthetic cerebellum.

I think part of the pain Hyakki feels when he gets a new body part is that the replacement part is still in there.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

citybeatnik posted:

I think part of the pain Hyakki feels when he gets a new body part is that the replacement part is still in there.

I was wondering about that too. The eye fell out, and the leg fell off, but the rest of this stuff is inside of him. That's got to hurt.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

I was wondering about that too. The eye fell out, and the leg fell off, but the rest of this stuff is inside of him. That's got to hurt.

In the film he just vomited out the artificial organs when he got the real ones.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

Well, I'm always happy to see Hyakki walk away and leave an actual living person behind. I am really curious what Hyakkimaru actually had at the start of this, as far as a body, and how it was all scraped together. I mean, he didn't have a spine. How did he function at all? He's missing major muscle groups, and portions of his brain. How do you even start to replace that with prosthetics? It's mind boggling how little sense any of this makes, and it doesn't seem to detract from the story at all.

Yeah, it all makes absolutely zero sense - there's a couple theories that seem at least a little plausible, but it all boils down to 'just because' in the end. If you consider the body as a vessel for the soul,(and take into account reincarnation, or a mature soul that isn't reliant on the body for simple things like having a functional brain in order to think) then an incomplete body just serves as a really, really lovely vessel for a soul. Plus, Hyakki has his whole 'third-eye' thing goin' for him, and a magical/medical dad.

Also, I burned through the entire manga thanks to this thread. It's bizarre - the art is phenomenal, and it's actually really refreshing to see arcs within the story that are resolved quickly and cleanly - modern manga stories tend to stretch things out to a frustrating degree. The strangest thing to me are the scenes of incredibly brutal, sadistic violence, contrasted with a style that reminds me of Popeye.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

McKilligan posted:

The strangest thing to me are the scenes of incredibly brutal, sadistic violence, contrasted with a style that reminds me of Popeye.

Tezuka in a nutshell. The man wrote everything from kid's stories to stuff like Dororo, and he did it all with that style.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

Keep in mind while he has a lot of prosthesis, he also has ungodly-powerful psychic and spiritual powers and as a result he's about as useful as a particularly badass child in combat because most of that power is going towards keeping him functioning in any capacity at all.

Even with sword-arms and cannon-knees.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
I think the movie does the best job of explaining how the doctor's work made Hyakki into a fully functional human being, describing a process the doctor invented that basically turns corpses into stem cells that can then be made into any organ a person might need (still leaves the matter of how Hyakki survived in the period of time between birth and getting fixed up by the doctor, but at least they're close to a full explanation). I personally like to fill in any and all blanks with Hyakki's ill-defined psionic omnipotence since we're rarely provided with a better explanation.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Chapter 3: In the Belly of the Mountain (part 1)

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Daigo is basically Nobunaga, right?

Demonbait
Apr 14, 2014
I don't know if you know or not, but in the first chapter you can go to the spot where the troll leads you and get a sword that's ludicrously powerful for early game, called the sword of luck or something.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Holy gently caress. You weren't kidding about "The Misery Chronicles"

"Eat the yummy gruel, Dororo." :smithicide: :smithicide: :smithicide:

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
For reference's sake, who was Hyakki's VA? I feel like I've heard him before, but the monotone hasn't helped me put a name out there.

Also, they basically took Hyakki into full Rurouni Kenshin territory there with that last conversation.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

SSNeoman posted:

Holy gently caress. You weren't kidding about "The Misery Chronicles"

"Eat the yummy gruel, Dororo." :smithicide: :smithicide: :smithicide:
It's pretty brutal, but it also explains why Dororo is so drat tough. Turns out his parents were the two of the hardest motherfuckers in Japan.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Derek Barona posted:

For reference's sake, who was Hyakki's VA? I feel like I've heard him before, but the monotone hasn't helped me put a name out there.

Also, they basically took Hyakki into full Rurouni Kenshin territory there with that last conversation.

IMDB tells me it's a guy called Chris Murphy, who has this, and Murry from the Sly Cooper series under his belt, and not much else in terms of voice acting. I must've gotten him confused with Bob Buchholz, best known for playing Gene Starwind in Outlaw Star.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

It may be the same person. VAs do occasionally use pseudonyms to do non-union work.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

True, but IMDB's usually pretty good about listing that. Bob Buchholz has a few aliases listed, but none of them link to this game. Chris Murphy, meanwhile, doesn't have any aliases at all.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
So Dororo was moving boxes that weighted twice as much as him?

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

Fat Samurai posted:

So Dororo was moving boxes that weighted twice as much as him?

To be fair, Dororo also punches harder than the psionic robot man can swing his sword in one blow.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

True, but IMDB's usually pretty good about listing that. Bob Buchholz has a few aliases listed, but none of them link to this game. Chris Murphy, meanwhile, doesn't have any aliases at all.

Being a pretty decent Outlaw Star fan (Or at least having the series on DVD and rewatching it once a year or so) I can pretty much always recognize Buchholz when I hear him, at least when he's doing something fairly close to his Gene voice. Hyakki definitely isn't him.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Chapter 3: In the Belly of the Mountain (Part 2)

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Mio apparently lifts. She threw Hyakki like he was nothing.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
I know what to expect but god drat! Swear there's a lot of Yokai about never ending hunger but I can't think of any outside of the Kowai, but it doesn't look like that at all.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

SSNeoman posted:

Mio apparently lifts. She threw Hyakki like he was nothing.

He's mostly prosthetics and a torso with a few organs thrown in. It's probably like tossing a big wad of Playdoh.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I've played Siren as well, so I know exactly what you guys mean. Great atmosphere, surprisingly interesting story, and the single most frustratingly unintuitive game I've ever played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

quote:

How are we supposed to fight an entire mountain?
Well, you just murdered the poo poo out of its right arm. Presumably just keep doing that till it runs out of bits?

But seriously, this was an excellent update. I wonder if Daigo knows what he's gotten himself into? I thought the demon in the stomach was a super-gross and appropriate touch, even if it did have bullshit getting away powers.

• Locked thread