Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

citybeatnik posted:

All that sword talk about how hitting people with the blunt end of the sword would cause it to shatter made me think of, for some odd reason, Musashi Miyamoto. You know, the guy that used bokken and who won a sword duel by using a boat oar to beat his opponent to death if you believe the myth.

Musashi's duel with Sasaki Kojiro is one of my favorite stories because Musashi does not give a fuuuuuuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Waffleman_ posted:

Musashi's duel with Sasaki Kojiro is one of my favorite stories because Musashi does not give a fuuuuuuck.

Ah, Kojirou. Agreed, favorite Musashi story. People to this day debate whether it actually happened or at least if Kojirou himself actually existed, but in the end, still one of the most hilarious stories out there about him.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

SO MAD

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Look you fire across his back so he can tell you mean loving business and surrender.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Choco1980 posted:

Finally, to Kaboom Dragoon, is it at all possible that your monster tree memory is of the 1990 film "The Guardian", which features a monster tree which bleeds profusely when cut?

I don't think so. I remember this being a tree that, when they cut the bark off, there was meaty, pulsing flesh underneath. On the other hand, this may well have been a dream I had. I have very graphic dreams. They seem to scare everyone but me.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

So many pointless explosions... Michael Bay's Blood Will Tell.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Fiendly posted:

So many pointless explosions... Michael Bay's Blood Will Tell.

Starring Shea Lebouf as Dororo. Hyakki only appears in three scenes.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Derek Barona posted:

Starring Shea Lebouf as Dororo. Hyakki only appears in three scenes.

Hyakki will only communicate via spliced together Enka Radio Hits until he gets his voicebox back.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

OneDeadman posted:

Hyakki will only communicate via spliced together Enka Radio Hits until he gets his voicebox back.

There will be a stereotypically black samurai. He'll have exactly two lines of dialogue before being killed by Daigo.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Derek Barona posted:

There will be a stereotypically black samurai. He'll have exactly two lines of dialogue before being killed by Daigo.

There will be a lady always with Hyakki.
Her job is to pout like a model at the screen and point out the obvious.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

There will be a lady always with Hyakki.
Her job is to pout like a model at the screen and point out the obvious.

There will be Linkin Park. It won't even fit the theme, but there'll be a Linkin Park song during the credits.

AccidentalHipster
Jul 5, 2013

Whadda ya MEAN ya never heard of Dan Brereton?

Derek Barona posted:

There will be Linkin Park. It won't even fit the theme, but there'll be a Linkin Park song during the credits.

And the majority of the movie will be "comedy" with bit characters.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Totally worth it for the bit where Hyakki and Dororo singlehandedly invade Communist China though. That 40 minute sequence was worth the price of admission.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Totally worth it for the bit where Hyakki and Dororo singlehandedly invade Communist China though. That 40 minute sequence was worth the price of admission.

I dunno, the part where Chairman Mao turned out to be a five thousand year old alien communist god monster stretched my suspension of disbelief pretty hard. Though the Terracotta Army fight was pretty boss.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:

Derek Barona posted:

When you think about it too much, like me, "Crawling in My Skin" actually fits pretty well for Hyakki's childhood.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Derek Barona posted:

I dunno, the part where Chairman Mao turned out to be a five thousand year old alien communist god monster stretched my suspension of disbelief pretty hard. Though the Terracotta Army fight was pretty boss.

Really? The would sequence was just a jumbled confused mishmash of explosion. You couldn't really tell what was going on. That seriously killed the tension for me.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Chapter 4: The Wall (Part 3)

Fiendly fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Sep 14, 2014

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I don't know, when he has cannons in his legs it isn't that hard for me to see him making one of his prosthetics some sort of simple bomb. But I don't remember reading that, so maybe I don't know how much of an rear end pull nosebomb really is.

But I am so glad Hyaki's super brain simply pumped his blood for him up until now and he didn't need some sort of complex surgery to remove a warring states period fake heart from his chest.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Mein gott! You mean the civilians of the chapter neither died nor cursed our very existance as we walked away? They actually thanked us? Gratitude exists in this story?!

:aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
So was there a hidden fiend or something in the lower left of the map at around 11:40, once the "I'll come back after giving up my humanity to become a real boss" fight was over? I usually identify weird collections of enemies in dead ends as a sign of something worth collecting.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

All the Daigo/Nobunaga talk in the thread made me curious: are there any alt-history stories (movies, anime/manga, whatever) where Nobunaga doesn't die at Honnouji and succeeds in conquering Japan? It seems like such an obvious jumping-off point for one, yet I can't think of any. Preferably one that actually considers the historical fallout instead of setting fluff for a story that reincarnates him in the body of a robot-piloting scantily clad high school girl.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Discendo Vox posted:

So was there a hidden fiend or something in the lower left of the map at around 11:40, once the "I'll come back after giving up my humanity to become a real boss" fight was over? I usually identify weird collections of enemies in dead ends as a sign of something worth collecting.

Nah, that part of the map is actually the first section of Southtown that we'd just looped back to, and that cluster of enemies was a group I'd run past previously. There is a hidden Fiend in that direction, but it's beyond the blocked off section and can only be found upon replay as we're going to see next video.

The Wizard of Oz
Feb 7, 2004

Crabtree posted:

I don't know, when he has cannons in his legs it isn't that hard for me to see him making one of his prosthetics some sort of simple bomb. But I don't remember reading that, so maybe I don't know how much of an rear end pull nosebomb really is.

But I am so glad Hyaki's super brain simply pumped his blood for him up until now and he didn't need some sort of complex surgery to remove a warring states period fake heart from his chest.

Hyakkimaru doesn't have anything in his legs in the manga. He uses the hollow to fill it with acid, which comes up quite a bit as an attack. No machine gun arms either, but the anachronism is very much in its spirit.

A big part of it is differences in the media. The game needed to lay out exactly what these 48 body parts are, so they came up with rather silly stuff like hemoglobin or chakras, when the only magical elements of Hyakki in the manga are his senses and speech (which are big, but very clearly set), and Hyakki starts the story having killed 16 fiends so he's not quite the bloodsack. But there's limited moments in a game for more grounded bits like Hyakkimaru talking about using his shoulder muscles to control his hand. Then there's the need to texture exactly how the connection between his arm and the prosthetic looks like and imply complex structure, when in the manga there's no detail at all. And then there's the three-act structure with the chosen one template, giving the entire story a structure that didn't exist but is necessary. There's a back-and-forth to the manga and game having more and less complexity than the other; it's not one-way.

As to the explosive nose coming out of nowhere, well yeah, but Tezuka wasn't really a very thematically deep writer. I think he was like Isaac Asimov - he just wrote, pulling in whatever he was thinking or reading about that day. Maybe he was reading the Duchess part in Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, or he saw a father steal his child's nose, and just put it in to get that issue done with and resolve a conflict he hadn't thought much about when he started months before. That's how it feels like to me, anyway.

The Wizard of Oz fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Sep 14, 2014

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
At the beginning of this video you mention that in Pokemon they called the rice balls "Doughnuts" in the English version. I remember that they did that going as far back as Alex Kidd back in the Master System days.

I'm old is what I'm trying to say.

Rangpur posted:

All the Daigo/Nobunaga talk in the thread made me curious: are there any alt-history stories (movies, anime/manga, whatever) where Nobunaga doesn't die at Honnouji and succeeds in conquering Japan? It seems like such an obvious jumping-off point for one, yet I can't think of any. Preferably one that actually considers the historical fallout instead of setting fluff for a story that reincarnates him in the body of a robot-piloting scantily clad high school girl.

I'm hardly an expert on the subject, but the closest I can think of is the Samurai Warriors series where Nobunaga is playable, and I think you can fight your way out of a burning Honnouji and fight to unify Japan. I know that the latest Dynasty Warriors had an Alternate History mode for things just like this if you succeeded at optional objectives.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

There's also Kessen 3, which, as noted specifically by its director, bucks the trend by having Nobunaga as a very heroic character. Apparently he was fed up with the constant depictions of Oda as a (usually literal) demon, so he went the opposite way and decided to portray him as a paragon of justice and humanity. I never got too far in it though, so I can't tell you too much about how it goes, but I do believe Honnouji is featured in it at some point.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I wouldn't call it traditional or historic, but if we're mentioning Samurai Warriors I feel the need to mention the Warriors Orochi games as well. It's still SW Nobunaga, but he spends basically his entire storyline in the first game quietly assisting the DW factions and orchestrating at least two or three of the better turning points in their campaigns. He's still the Demon King and all that, but it's probably his most flattering personality depiction in the whole series.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Hidden Fiends

Encyclopedia: Chapter 4 coming soon.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I like the designs of the fiends in this game. Granted we do get related fiends like the foxes and reskins but this is at least justified by the fact that there are 48 of these loving monsters.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Sep 16, 2014

Demonbait
Apr 14, 2014
I was actually able to beat the wind fiend on my first time replaying the stage, but to dodge the desperation attack I just switched between the upper and lower platforms, because they can't effect you on the opposite platform. Pretty much just switched platforms every time he started an attack, and went to where he was going to land on the platform I was on, attacked him a few times, then left when he was starting another attack.

AccidentalHipster
Jul 5, 2013

Fiendly posted:

Hidden Fiends

Encyclopedia: Chapter 4 coming soon.

Oh god Fujin. After so much work and so many cock blocks to just be able to fight him and after such a ball busting fight, what do we get? A small boost to 3 stats. Blood Will Tell really does hate us.

Oh, and spoilers for Naruto and Bleach. They've both jumped the shark long ago. Watch/read Jojo instead.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

AccidentalHipster posted:

Oh god Fujin. After so much work and so many cock blocks to just be able to fight him and after such a ball busting fight, what do we get? A small boost to 3 stats. Blood Will Tell really does hate us.

Oh, and spoilers for Naruto and Bleach. They've both jumped the shark long ago. Watch/read Jojo instead.

Been reading it since 2000. What now?

AccidentalHipster
Jul 5, 2013

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Been reading it since 2000. What now?

Now, I rejoice knowing that someone is reading GREAT (da ze) shonen. Even AccidentalHipster is crying.

To avoid derailing the thread too much, Fiendly, without spoiling too much, could you tell us if there are any other super dickish Fiends in the game? Or is it all uphill from here for Fiend fights?

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I can think of one in particular that made me quit the game for a month. We haven't seen it yet and won't for quite some time, so I'll leave the question of whether it's difficult or I am merely dumb for later. Never had trouble with Fujin but that's because I didn't go back to this stage until much later in the game when you're actually more flesh than machine. Helps a lot, that.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Chapter 5: Legion (Part 1)

Encyclopedia: Chapter 4

AccidentalHipster posted:

To avoid derailing the thread too much, Fiendly, without spoiling too much, could you tell us if there are any other super dickish Fiends in the game? Or is it all uphill from here for Fiend fights?

Rangpur posted:

I can think of one in particular that made me quit the game for a month. We haven't seen it yet and won't for quite some time, so I'll leave the question of whether it's difficult or I am merely dumb for later.

I know who you mean and it is indeed quite terrible. For the most part, though, Fiend battles will be either pleasant diversions or satisfying challenges for the rest of the game, this very chapter boasting some especially great ones including what might be my single favorite hidden Fiend.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Wow, that's actually really neat that she came back. I mean, she had to have been following us for god knows how long, but still, callbacks.

Did she actually show up again in the manga?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Derek Barona posted:

Wow, that's actually really neat that she came back. I mean, she had to have been following us for god knows how long, but still, callbacks.

Did she actually show up again in the manga?

Nope. This is a new thing created by the game. It's pretty cool!

Drakli
Jan 28, 2004
Goblin-Friend
Do you suppose the specters are based on Gaki, AKA Hungry Ghosts? The distended bellies and obsession with constantly eating matches up. I've also seen Gaki portrayed as physical entities despite being called ghosts, similar to these specters.

The Shadow Beasts and their statue-dog kin remind me a little of Foo-Dog or Foo Lion statues too; except for the evilness and the lack of a mane, but that might be a stretch.

Drakli fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Sep 18, 2014

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Misaki, you idiot. You're someone who's met Hyakkimaru whose name isn't on the cover, and you survived. With all your limbs and major organs and everything! So what if you lost your heroin-addict brother, you've got your life and your youth and a cool sword. Maybe you can go to China or Korea or anywhere that doesn't have fiends all over the place. :ohdear:

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

On the other hand, she's an untrained, unpowered human who not only managed to track Hyakki down, she did so without a mark on her pretty kimono. All armed with only a kitchen knife! Considering you can't walk more than three feet without being accosted by a dozen yokai in this place, I'd say she deserves a round of applause.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I will applaude her. The game will probably decide to kill her.

There's an odd balance here.

• Locked thread