Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Posting so I'll find this thread later. I don't know what this game's about but I'm looking forward to watching Fiendly trash the poo poo out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Finally got a chance to watch it. Considering how simple 'Maru's backstory is, I'm glad they went ahead and got it all out now instead of, oh, piecing it out across the game despite it being totally obvious what happened within the first ten minutes.

Also, this is why you don't make deals with demons, folks. They offer ultimate power, sure, but they charge you an arm, a leg...

*Puts on shades*

...And 46 other body parts.

YEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
At no point did I say it had to be his, though.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
My guess is, any time he gets something that would remove a weapon (Say, the knee cannon) they probably give him another attack in its place to make up for it. In general though, yeah, he does seem like he'll get stronger statwise as he gets parts back because he's the Chosen One and all that, but eventually those arm swords and the versatility that comes with them are gonna go.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
It's one of the things I really appreciate about Tezuka even though Astro Boy IS the only thing I can remember off the top of my head that I've ever sat down and read any of. The man went all over the map with his stuff and not only proved that it could be done with that kind of art style, but he proved that it could be made in the first place. People call him the father or godfather of manga because the media really didn't exist in Japan until he came along, or if it did wasn't nearly as prevalent/considered mainstream.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I refuse to believe Dororo isn't a girl until we get clear through this game and no reverse trap revelations occur. Seriously, kid's clearly designed as girly as possible.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

George posted:

I think your fancy new poison sword actually does less damage.

Yeah, his Atk dropped 17 > 16 after he grabbed it, but the Poison Sword is Lv4 instead of Lv3, so... I think that matters? Also, judging from that description, it had better grant resistance against Hyakki himself getting poisoned, since it doesn't work the other way around.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Zain posted:

Since nobody has done it yet... I'll be the shitlord coming to the rescue! Those umbrella yokai are called karakasa- generally hyphenated with something. Karakasa itself it referring to the fact that it's a paper umbrella. :goonsay:

Pretty much. You see them once in awhile in the more nippon-centric settings where they tend to be a common idea for a youkai. I always just go the Touhou route and think of Kogasa whenever I see one.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
On a random sidenote, with as big as that village map was, was there anything actually worth looking around for at all?

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Not in this one, but later on, it's worth your while to scout around: only a few of the fiends are actually story-based, the majority of them are hidden. One of the big complaints about the game was actually how it was so hard to find some of the secrets. I know I needed to consult a guide more often than I expected.

Your other option would be to constantly have Dororo in search mode and just take it slowly through the levels, I guess. Goddess knows I wouldn't have thought to knock down a tree at the waterfall if Fiendly hadn't shown it.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Really, at what point is anyone not expecting the mysteriously sinister looking nobleman/woman to be the evil monster in question? It's basically a test of whether you're a protagonist to try and spot them.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Ramos posted:

Really now, when have nobles ever been up to any good in anything ever? If they're not monsters in disguise, they're lazy and useless, plotting things, or getting kidnapped.

Yeah, but I'm talking samurai era in particular. The local ruling lord or lady will always either be a demon, possessed by a demon, secretly killed and replaced by a demon, targetted by demons and requires protecting, conspiring with demons to kill the heroes, or absolutely useless and will probably be forgotten within ten minutes if they aren't killed by a demon attack first.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Crabtree posted:

If you thought manga doctor was heartless for just tossing the kid out after the first set of demons show up, wait till you learn what he actually used to rebuild Hyakkimaru with. It's probably part of the real reason why he abandoned Dororo, MW is less bleak than this what if scenario where Yoshiyuki Tomino dreamed up a Sengoku era Berserk in his Kill em All days.

Sengoku era Zeta/Victory Gundam, got it.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Fiendly posted:

Are you guys talking about my favorite kind of theatre?

The best kind.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Really more Sengoku-era Ideon.

At least it's not one of the later Getter Robos. Then we'd have Dororo dying every episode just because the creator admits he really just likes killing him.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Ah, the old bloodthirsty cursed sword angle. This one's a pretty common tale in Japanese media, since samurai in general are considered really good at killing to begin with, so of course one who exists for nothing but killing would have to be either awesome or crazy or possessed by demons. IIRC, it's the standard equivalent of a Berserker in their lore, a warrior who has sacrificed his humanity and sanity for raw strength and killing power. Good times.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Neruz posted:

I love how Dororo's first reaction to coming across a demonic possessed sword is "Me wants it!"

Dororo himself is actually a statement on how natural selection doesn't work in the realm of sengoku manga. His survival despite such bouts of gross stupidity is proof.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I give him a lot of crap for the whole "steal a demonic sword" thing, but I just want to note that I do give Dororo some credit for being the person willing to call people out on their bullshit a lot of the time. It makes me like the kid a lot more, barring his casual moments of suicidal stupidity.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

McKilligan posted:

The strangest thing to me are the scenes of incredibly brutal, sadistic violence, contrasted with a style that reminds me of Popeye.

Tezuka in a nutshell. The man wrote everything from kid's stories to stuff like Dororo, and he did it all with that style.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
For reference's sake, who was Hyakki's VA? I feel like I've heard him before, but the monotone hasn't helped me put a name out there.

Also, they basically took Hyakki into full Rurouni Kenshin territory there with that last conversation.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

True, but IMDB's usually pretty good about listing that. Bob Buchholz has a few aliases listed, but none of them link to this game. Chris Murphy, meanwhile, doesn't have any aliases at all.

Being a pretty decent Outlaw Star fan (Or at least having the series on DVD and rewatching it once a year or so) I can pretty much always recognize Buchholz when I hear him, at least when he's doing something fairly close to his Gene voice. Hyakki definitely isn't him.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I've played Siren as well, so I know exactly what you guys mean. Great atmosphere, surprisingly interesting story, and the single most frustratingly unintuitive game I've ever played.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
The first Evil Dead. The tree was in the first one. That's all I'm going to toss in on that matter.

Also, it amuses me that Dororo has basically just killed the biggest Fiend and it got Hyakki one of the arguably worst parts to have returned to you in the kind of state he's in.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

NAME REDACTED posted:

I dunno, I'm pretty sure that anyone suffering from leprosy would tell you that having a sense of pain is /really useful/.

Well, I mean in the sense that there's no specification about whether or not Hyakki can actually feel the prosthetics bouncing around inside him now.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

So, hang on a second: in the intro, the narration says that the wall splitting the town sprung up overnight. Given the setting, I'm inclined to take that as literal. But those kids say they were out playing when the wall went up and couldn't go back home.

Are those kids fiends? Are you sure this isn't Drakengard?

I'm just waiting for an excuse to use The Dark Id's "Trolled by Cavia" pic at this point.

So, as mentioned in the video, kitsune are usually troublemakers or otherwise mildly mischievious fox spirits that like to show up and screw with people from time to time. Anyone who knows how they work in most popular media or has ever watched Naruto will also recognize that that three-tailed one is merely a precursor to a much bigger boss waiting up ahead. As kitsune get older and more powerful, they generally grow more tails. Once they hit the magic number nine, they become what's sometimes called a Tenko, which is more or less a fully god-like kitsune in terms of power. It's not much of a spoiler at this point after the game itself revealed there are more fox demons around to assume we're gonna see at least a nine-tailed fox as one of the bigger fiends of the chapter.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I like how Daigo's basically realized that Hyakki's his long lost son and become completely willing to take his poo poo, but will conveniently refuse to inform the two most important people who need to know about this fact until some time later after we've no doubt had to stab Tahoumaru in the face a few times.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Waffleman_ posted:

Musashi's duel with Sasaki Kojiro is one of my favorite stories because Musashi does not give a fuuuuuuck.

Ah, Kojirou. Agreed, favorite Musashi story. People to this day debate whether it actually happened or at least if Kojirou himself actually existed, but in the end, still one of the most hilarious stories out there about him.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Fiendly posted:

So many pointless explosions... Michael Bay's Blood Will Tell.

Starring Shea Lebouf as Dororo. Hyakki only appears in three scenes.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

OneDeadman posted:

Hyakki will only communicate via spliced together Enka Radio Hits until he gets his voicebox back.

There will be a stereotypically black samurai. He'll have exactly two lines of dialogue before being killed by Daigo.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

There will be a lady always with Hyakki.
Her job is to pout like a model at the screen and point out the obvious.

There will be Linkin Park. It won't even fit the theme, but there'll be a Linkin Park song during the credits.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Totally worth it for the bit where Hyakki and Dororo singlehandedly invade Communist China though. That 40 minute sequence was worth the price of admission.

I dunno, the part where Chairman Mao turned out to be a five thousand year old alien communist god monster stretched my suspension of disbelief pretty hard. Though the Terracotta Army fight was pretty boss.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Mein gott! You mean the civilians of the chapter neither died nor cursed our very existance as we walked away? They actually thanked us? Gratitude exists in this story?!

:aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa:

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I wouldn't call it traditional or historic, but if we're mentioning Samurai Warriors I feel the need to mention the Warriors Orochi games as well. It's still SW Nobunaga, but he spends basically his entire storyline in the first game quietly assisting the DW factions and orchestrating at least two or three of the better turning points in their campaigns. He's still the Demon King and all that, but it's probably his most flattering personality depiction in the whole series.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Wow, that's actually really neat that she came back. I mean, she had to have been following us for god knows how long, but still, callbacks.

Did she actually show up again in the manga?

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I will applaude her. The game will probably decide to kill her.

There's an odd balance here.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Honestly, if Tezuka only went darker on from Dororo, that's not quite awesome so much as it is Tomino levels of horrifying.

No, seriously. I've watched Victory Gundam. That is some depressing poo poo.

As for the Minotaur, I would actually agree it looks like it just came out of Nocturne or maybe Digital Devil Saga. That thing looked pretty boss.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Rangpur posted:

It's okay, sometime around the late 2000s I think someone started slipping antidepressants into his food. Or slipping him something, anyway. Tomino, that is, not Tezuka.

Between that and Turn A, I'd say it worked.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
The Kamen Rider series Zain was talking about in this one is Kamen Rider W, and the kaijin in that one are based off concepts of the world, some of them easier to pick up on than others (Magma, Money) and some which are a lot more abstract (Violence, Zone). Clay Doll was the form of one of the enemy commanders, along with Taboo, Similodon, Nazca, and Terror. It's a good show.

I'm also a huge Kamen Rider fan and W is probably my second favorite series, so yeah.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Zain posted:

Gaim has replaced W in the best Kamen Rider series to me.

It's definitely up there, especially how it looked at the start.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Minor bit of personal correction, I mentioned ActRaiser early on in the video. The spell I was thinking of is called Magical Stardust, and it's actually good against most bosses EXCEPT the one I specifically mentioned. Oops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

SSNeoman posted:

I mean we have 33/48 Fiends in the ground now. These guys couldn't do much when there were 48 of them, what can they do when just 15 of them remain?

Because, uh... reasons? It's probably something vaguely villainous.

• Locked thread