Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I liked this game, but certain aspects of it drove me absolutely nuts. Kindly break it in half and dance on the ashes tia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Chance II posted:

I'm really glad that they went with this art direction for Blood Will Tell. Tezuka is great and Dororo is a great manga but I've always hated the astro boy elephant feet.

It's funny how many people go into the original manga expecting it to be Astro Boy in feudal Japan, when really, it's a spiritual forerunner to Berserk.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

After the demons are finished with him, he's little more than a lump of meat with air holes in it. Being the Chosen One sucks, but apparently it comes with some benefits.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Rangpur posted:

Blood Will Tell was a PS2 launch title, or close to it, and boy does it show. It has an intermittently garbage camera, and it can be super tedious to play at times but in spite of all that I enjoyed the game. There's just something so... fulfilling about hunting down Japan's mythological bestiary to get your Achilles tendon and sciatic nerve back. If I could afford to bankroll AAA game development, I'd get Platinum in on a remake of this in a heartbeat.

Slight correction, but it came out about 2004, fairly long into the machine's lifespan.

Derek Barona posted:

On a random sidenote, with as big as that village map was, was there anything actually worth looking around for at all?

Not in this one, but later on, it's worth your while to scout around: only a few of the fiends are actually story-based, the majority of them are hidden. One of the big complaints about the game was actually how it was so hard to find some of the secrets. I know I needed to consult a guide more often than I expected.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Hellcrusher makes me think of the Fear Factory song 'Edgecrusher', but that's just me.

Veyrall posted:

"So yeah, that Mokubei guy. His entire family was murdered by the demon"

This game, this commentary. :allears:

Like I said, the original manga was essentially a beta test for Berserk: if you're not a main character, your life expectancy can be measured in single figures. That's pages, btw, not days.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Derek Barona posted:

Sengoku era Zeta/Victory Gundam, got it.

Really more Sengoku-era Ideon.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Sure, Night Terror's got a head like a lumpy nutsack, but have you ever seen a demon with lips that kissable? I doubt it.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

When I first played this chapter, I got to the 'cold dead fingers' line and thought we'd just lop his arm off and kill the sword. I was honestly expecting Tannosuke to be a recurring nemesis a la Azel from God Hand.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Derek Barona posted:

For reference's sake, who was Hyakki's VA? I feel like I've heard him before, but the monotone hasn't helped me put a name out there.

Also, they basically took Hyakki into full Rurouni Kenshin territory there with that last conversation.

IMDB tells me it's a guy called Chris Murphy, who has this, and Murry from the Sly Cooper series under his belt, and not much else in terms of voice acting. I must've gotten him confused with Bob Buchholz, best known for playing Gene Starwind in Outlaw Star.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

True, but IMDB's usually pretty good about listing that. Bob Buchholz has a few aliases listed, but none of them link to this game. Chris Murphy, meanwhile, doesn't have any aliases at all.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

SSNeoman posted:

Mio apparently lifts. She threw Hyakki like he was nothing.

He's mostly prosthetics and a torso with a few organs thrown in. It's probably like tossing a big wad of Playdoh.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

So, hang on a second: in the intro, the narration says that the wall splitting the town sprung up overnight. Given the setting, I'm inclined to take that as literal. But those kids say they were out playing when the wall went up and couldn't go back home.

Are those kids fiends? Are you sure this isn't Drakengard?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

AccidentalHipster posted:

I think every co-comentator has brought up Dororo's gender so far and it's still funny. I hope you get more blind co-comentators in the future Friendly, because it's nice to occasionally see an outside perspective to give us an idea of how far down the rabbit hole we've followed you.

And what's up with the sound design in this stage? Between the distortion effect, terrible voice acting, and overlapping sound clips, I can't even begin to guess what the possessed townsfolk are saying.

I don't think I did, but then again, I was one of maybe three other people in the thread familiar with the game/manga. I was actually looking around for a decent LP of the game a while back, so the timing couldn't have been better.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Choco1980 posted:

Finally, to Kaboom Dragoon, is it at all possible that your monster tree memory is of the 1990 film "The Guardian", which features a monster tree which bleeds profusely when cut?

I don't think so. I remember this being a tree that, when they cut the bark off, there was meaty, pulsing flesh underneath. On the other hand, this may well have been a dream I had. I have very graphic dreams. They seem to scare everyone but me.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Totally worth it for the bit where Hyakki and Dororo singlehandedly invade Communist China though. That 40 minute sequence was worth the price of admission.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

There's also Kessen 3, which, as noted specifically by its director, bucks the trend by having Nobunaga as a very heroic character. Apparently he was fed up with the constant depictions of Oda as a (usually literal) demon, so he went the opposite way and decided to portray him as a paragon of justice and humanity. I never got too far in it though, so I can't tell you too much about how it goes, but I do believe Honnouji is featured in it at some point.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

AccidentalHipster posted:

Oh god Fujin. After so much work and so many cock blocks to just be able to fight him and after such a ball busting fight, what do we get? A small boost to 3 stats. Blood Will Tell really does hate us.

Oh, and spoilers for Naruto and Bleach. They've both jumped the shark long ago. Watch/read Jojo instead.

Been reading it since 2000. What now?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

On the other hand, she's an untrained, unpowered human who not only managed to track Hyakki down, she did so without a mark on her pretty kimono. All armed with only a kitchen knife! Considering you can't walk more than three feet without being accosted by a dozen yokai in this place, I'd say she deserves a round of applause.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Flapjack. That is all.

Fiendly posted:

Oh yeah, I'll fully admit that a few kid shows have come full circle and are as eager to do and say disturbing things as my old favorites. I especially love this Adventure Time clip, which made my skin crawl immediately the first time I saw it because I recognized the angel's voice actor and knew it was going to go somewhere seriously wrong.

I've seen everything up to the start of S5 or so and I seriously don't remember that episode. I remember the Fruit Witches though. Definitely remember the Fruit Witches.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Derek Barona posted:

Between that and Turn A, I'd say it worked.

Hell, what about Overman King Gainer? Legend states that when he spoke about how the opening would go at the pitch meeting, he started demonstrating the dances in it to a bewildered group of executives.

And yes, there is in fact footage out there somewhere of 'Kill 'Em All' Tomino doing The Monkey.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Small Frozen Thing posted:

They're responding to a link to the Gainer opening, you goof. :v:

Did I mention I can't read? Pretty sure that was a thing I mentioned.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

"Wow," Hyakki's brother says, "it sure is great that you've got three eyes when I've only got one. rear end in a top hat."

I think with the Saburota thing, yeah, he should be losing his/Hyakki's body parts, but that just means there's more space to fill in with demonic goodness!

And that horse fiend totally looked like a He-Man action figure.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Funny you mentioning Deadly Premonition there, Misaki's voice actress actually played a few characters in that.

Kinda disappointed with how that plotline ended, actually. I was really hoping she'd wind up being the only unpowered human to give us a challenge, becoming a master swords/knifewoman, rather than getting possessed by a fiend. Would've been a really cool idea. Also disappointed that we didn't get to use our leg itself as the launcher, I was thinking exactly the same thing would happen myself. Looks more like we hacked off one of the Minotaur's armourbits and used that as the frame.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Siren was a badly designed game: Let's Play Blood Will Tell

Can this LP can go more than 2-3 episodes without someone mentioning Siren? Recent studies suggest no, no we can't.

Incidentally, the Shibito fortress that was mentioned reminded me of a very similar thing in the Junji Ito series Uzumaki. If you haven't read it, do so immediately, it's fantastic stuff.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Just the wazoo? That's pretty tame for either source.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

McKilligan posted:

The luck blade reminds me a lot of Mugatsu's sword from Blade of the Immortal - another manga about a samurai with rather unique health issues.

I knew I recognised that sword somewhere! It was bugging me the entire chapter.

Choco1980 posted:

There's a link on the front page of the archives for contact info. Baldurk runs the whole thing single-handedly as far as I can tell, but he usually tries to make time for everything that needs to.

There's also sometimes a red banner near the top of the page saying that the vids are available on the Internet Archive. People tend not to notice that, because we've all been trained to ignore banners on webpages.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

chiasaur11 posted:

Nowhere close. Everyone in the thread's first response to Dororo being called a boy was "bullshit."

I lied about it deliberately, but that's simply because being coy about it would've tipped people off immediately. Really hate it when people do that, y'know?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

chiasaur11 posted:

The Otacon joke in Revengeance is a little different than you remembered.

I think I probably remembered it right, but got the wrong impression from it.

PRL412 posted:

While surprisingly competent for a sidekick, it's most likely the repetitive VO that gets to people.

Personally, the VA and the fact that any Dororo section is going to be the worst part of a given level. I'm pretty sure having timed jumping puzzle collect-a-thons like, say, all of Dororo mode, is a violation of the Geneva Convention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Disappointed that, in all the enemy-killing swords, there wasn't one strong against the weed-type enemies called Grasscutter. It's cool that the rank 3 elemental swords have ice and fire coming off the blade though. Kinda reminds me of Onimusha.

• Locked thread