Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Derek Barona posted:

Yeah, but I'm talking samurai era in particular. The local ruling lord or lady will always either be a demon, possessed by a demon, secretly killed and replaced by a demon, targetted by demons and requires protecting, conspiring with demons to kill the heroes, or absolutely useless and will probably be forgotten within ten minutes if they aren't killed by a demon attack first.

Much of the Sengoku Period (which is the Era people most commonly think of when they imagine Samurai) was marked by a hell of a lot of corruption amongst the upper classes along with the Emperor being a figurehead who delegated real power to the Shogun.

So yeah if you're in a typical samurai story the noble is almost definitely going to be evil, you'll probably have one or two nobles who are explicitly good men\women and are notable as such but all the rest are going to be either corrupt or incompetent (or both).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I love how Dororo's first reaction to coming across a demonic possessed sword is "Me wants it!"

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Disentangling fact from legend with regards to Musashi Miyamoto is pretty difficult; he was definitely incredibly skilled and particularly excellent at dueling and enough independant sources verify those facts but some of the tales about him are pretty unbelievable even so.

Odds are the one about beating the poo poo out of a dude with a boat oar is probably true though; while boat oars aren't exactly ideal weapons there's still nothing wrong with a good solid stick for beating someone up.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Glazius posted:

Seriously, though, that fiend needs to work on his pitch. "Give me your face and nourish us with your suffering!" Or? Or what? Death would be better than that.

That sounds vaguely familiar... :stonk:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Do not gently caress with Wendigos; Bigfoot and Sasquatch are basically just overly large gorillas but Wendigos are straight up hunger demons and you do not gently caress with demons whose entire shtick is eating everything that can be eaten.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Choco1980 posted:

Interestingly enough, speaking of Marvel's Wendigo, one of the books for Universe X, the sequel to Earth X, reconciles the myth. Some X-Men and other pre-Earth X mutants that had previously found shelter in Black Panther's nation of Wakanda are forced to make a pilgrimage to The Savage Land (in the middle of Antarctica) because reasons. Along the snowy way, they are slowly tormented and picked off by a group of Wendigo (yes, more than one). Eventually it turns out that Jamie Maddrox, the Multiple Man, was lost and starving in the snow, and resorted to auto-cannibalism. He then became possessed by the spirit of the Wendigo, due to his crime and the associated guilt, just like in the traditional myths. I think it might be the coolest thing they do in that entire property.

A man becoming a Wendigo because he cannibalized himself is pretty incredible, I'll give Marvel that.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

alcharagia posted:

Those are Whomps, not Thwomps. :colbert:

Yep, Thwomps are the block shaped ones that float, Whomps are the tile shaped ones that walk around and fall on you.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
This is an Anime universe so logically the Demons will get logarithmically more powerful as you approach the final one.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

7c Nickel posted:

She straight up has nipple legs... or leg nipples. Not really sure how to process that.

File it under 'Japan' and try to forget.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Jeez still no breathing for Hyakki.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Overly complicated clockwork devices have been a thing throughout all of antiquity until we worked out the Steam Engine and started building overly complicated steam devices instead.

It's just that being fairly delicate and made of complex parts such clockwork devices tend to not survive the ravages of time very well so barring a few instances of deliberate preservation or more recent inventions like those Karakuri Puppets all we really have are old stories and the occasional half-corroded metal lump like the Antikythera Mechanism.

Odds are pretty good that throughout the last few thousand years clever humans have discovered and refined clockwork technology to produce some really crazy devices and then failed to pass their knowledge down such that what they had learned was mostly forgotten when they died before being rediscovered by someone else at some other place. This cycle has probably repeated dozens of times throughout Eurasia, especially the areas around the Mediterranean and Iran.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The real giveaway is the bandages across the chest; if you see a girlish looking boy in anime with bandages across his chest as part of the standard outfit (and not say right after being stabbed in the chest) then at some point there is going to be a surprise reveal where that person turns out to be a girl instead.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Kurieg posted:

Even if said person is prepubescent anyway?

Yup.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Small Frozen Thing posted:

I could hook you up with some otome games that disprove your thesis. :razz:

No go away gaah :stonk:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

TCat posted:

Nah you got the right impression, but the actual thing was more along the lines of her saying "He's kind of a ladies man and he still goes out on weekends, but tends to keep women at arms length" and not literally "I haven't seen his girlfriend lately". So yeah it was a nod to women dieing around him, but more in the he's a paranoid nerd sense, than the it literally happened sense.

Getting into a romantic relationship with Otacon is one of the Guaranteed Ways To Get Yourself Killed in the Metal Gear universe.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Fiendly posted:

It's apparently a real sword that gets referenced in a lot of media even though it's obviously a ceremonial blade that would have no practical combat applications.

The fact that it is ceremonial means that it must therefore be of immeasurable power because that is how things work in Anime :v:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

DeliciousCookie posted:

Unrelated, but that cutscene had some uh.. interesting subtext going. I kind of wonder if it was intentional.

Considering how blatantly obvious the alternate subtext is I find it hard to imagine it was accidental or that nobody noticed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Well by the time Hyakki was down to just the last fiend their plan was already totally ruined so its plan was probably "Hide in Dororo to force Hyakki to kill her, hah im so evil!"

• Locked thread