Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Finally caught up--just discovered this thread this week, and I'm very much enjoying it, just as I did the last Fiendly thread. I won't be as informative as I was with Splatterhouse, as while I've seen many Japanese horror and fantasy films--including the live action Dororo film, and many focusing on Yokai--I don't actually know very many details about the Yokai themselves. So this has been educational in an area my knowledge is certainly lacking in. I love how Dororo's mocap actor completely nails the exaggerated gestures stereotypical of his character type that you see in chanbara films. Also, how am I the first one here to point out how much the grave fiend looks like Roberto from Futurama?! Finally, to Kaboom Dragoon, is it at all possible that your monster tree memory is of the 1990 film "The Guardian", which features a monster tree which bleeds profusely when cut?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

drat, I was just going to post about redcaps, Chimera. See, they look like old men in uh, red caps. And if a traveler, seeking shelter, stumbles upon their homes, the dwarf then kills them, and uses their blood to coat their hats. If the hat dries up, the redcap dies. Which is a very Yokai style set of rules.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Hmm. Looking at that enemy list, I can't help but speak out for the Yeti-class of enemies. Sasquatch are of course, considered to be, like they appear here, snow-bound versions of the bigfoot myth. Wendigo, on the other hand, are something extremely different. A serious, highly feared demon of the Algonquian traditions (a rich mythology I've been slowly researching in my spare time), the Wendigo is a spirit of evil, intense hunger, capable of transforming its shape and size, usually growing to adjust to whatever it eats, so that it never can eat enough. Traditionally, it is seen as a cross between a man and a stag, often with great large antlers upon its humanoid head, and possessing of speed so great it was said to leave burning footprints in its wake. However, the Wendigo also is a spirit of possession, entering into men that have committed the taboo of cannibalism, often due to starvation conditions. These men would become ravenous, evil revenants, driven mad by their hunger for human flesh, with an emaciated, dried up appearance, denoting their supernatural cravings.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

TCat posted:

Yeah well English media has always sort of hosed up the Wendigo, for example the Marvel Comics character that fights the Hulk is basically just a yeti- although it's not like Japan is entirely free of that either with poo poo like Wendigomon from Digimon. I would probably blame choices like this because the interpretations of the Wendigo are commonly drawn from The Wendigo by Algernon Blackwood where it's a big hulking beast that looks like a big foot with antlers that got hit with every branch of the ugly tree.

Interestingly enough, speaking of Marvel's Wendigo, one of the books for Universe X, the sequel to Earth X, reconciles the myth. Some X-Men and other pre-Earth X mutants that had previously found shelter in Black Panther's nation of Wakanda are forced to make a pilgrimage to The Savage Land (in the middle of Antarctica) because reasons. Along the snowy way, they are slowly tormented and picked off by a group of Wendigo (yes, more than one). Eventually it turns out that Jamie Maddrox, the Multiple Man, was lost and starving in the snow, and resorted to auto-cannibalism. He then became possessed by the spirit of the Wendigo, due to his crime and the associated guilt, just like in the traditional myths. I think it might be the coolest thing they do in that entire property.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Where have I seen that eyeball fiend before...

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

You didn't mention that Hyakki now has three 1-up slots since picking up the new, overpowered sword.

Also, I didn't say anything before, but I like the detail that the lost woods is full of those glowing ghost-fireballs associated with yokai. A quick look at wikipedia suggests that these are Onibi, more specifically, the Inka variety.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Yeah, Siren has some of the best writing of any horror game I've ever seen, but simultaneously has some of the most frustrating game mechanics as well. It's a shame Egomaniac had to stop his LP of the HD remaster of the game for whatever personal reasons, as it was the only LP that's ever left me scared to watch. And I'm a horror junkie that doesn't normally scare. He also did LPs of the three original versions of the games, but I kinda want to hold off on watching them for spoiler's sake in case he ever resumes things.:f5:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

There's a link on the front page of the archives for contact info. Baldurk runs the whole thing single-handedly as far as I can tell, but he usually tries to make time for everything that needs to.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Right, for saying Dagon is a terrible film KD, you and I must now be sworn enemies. I'm assuming pistols at dawn will suffice?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Just caught up with the last two vids after the weekend. As others have said, in the live action movie Dororo's gender basically follows the same path as the game--that is, it's strongly suggested Dororo is a male despite being played by a female, then suddenly Hyakki just up and acknowledges it at the end for no real reason. Also in the movie, Hyakki doesn't get nearly all the fiends in just yet by the end. I don't really recall because it's been some time since I watched it, but does Dororo have a part in him in the film?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I just noticed, for those of you with Comcast here in the US, the live action film is available for free in their "streampix" On Demand service, FYI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Thanks for the LP Fiendly, I really enjoyed it. Great game of a great property.

• Locked thread