Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rodatose posted:

one time, a foo fighters cover band listened to fleet foxes and said "let's try to be folk like them but make all the songs an expression of the crushing darkness i'm feeling as a result of my recent breakup"

and that band was Albert Einstein

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadMattH
Sep 8, 2011

ArbitraryC posted:

That's pretty wrong, Pink Floyd is a thing pretty much every new generation of stoners gets into. It'd be a shame to never have listened through dark side when stoned.

Just wait for your next trip (get it trip hahaha) to the dentist's office. Listen to it then if ever because otherwise it's just not worth the effort.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

my dad likes pink floyd

they've always bored me tia

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

turdriver posted:

pink floyd is unironically boring music for pretentious faggots

you're thinking of steely dan

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
I saw them at Pinewood Bowl they play some pretty decent bro jams.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Quickscope420dad posted:

Well to be fair, the rest kinda cut off; they're meant to be played sequentially. Like, you can't play Breathe on its own without having a really jolted ending. But also Money was the single for the album and time is the big rocky anthemic track

On the local old dadrock station where I live, every track from Dark Side had been played at one point or another. For a few years the station had a thing called the 'Friday Night Floyd Fix', it was pretty eclectic. You'd hear the played-out-as-hell tracks like Money and Run Like Hell, but then there'd be some deep cuts from the Barrett era or weird poo poo like "Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave Grooving with a Pict" or "Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun", sometimes they'd play the full studio version of "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" or even "Echoes".

I haven't listened to Pink Floyd in forever, save for the occasional listen to The Final Cut. I just really like that bleak poo poo and allusions to the early '80s Cold War. I should give some of the other albums a shot again, I dunno.

FunFact*: the only drugs I have ever done are prescribed antidepressants.

*this fact is not actually fun and i am sorry

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

PureEvil6_13 posted:

I am retarded for Pink Floyd but hate Roger Waters. I don't like The Wall much and The Final Cut is the only album I don't own. Wait a minute, I know that Roger is the lyrical force behind the Floyd, I know that poo poo but Godammit dude let go of The Wall LET IT GO HE'S DEAD.

It's true, The Wall is a massively overrated, self-indulgent, and overall pretty mediocre with all the filler.

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012
Counterpoint to all y'all haters, couple of amazing tunes that are not on either of their albums.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8P6U_80r7Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZi8J-N5hZ8

old fat bird
Oct 27, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
One of them was in that stupid Bluegrass movie the Cohen bro's made that no one saw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQyPVBtLXk0

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Gypsum Fantastic posted:

Counterpoint to all y'all haters, couple of amazing tunes that are not on either of their albums.

sounds like the same white people with humanities degrees bullshit as the rest of their dumb songs

mountain goats with 2000mg of seroquel

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere
Mumford & Sons are great at what they do. Their songs produce an emotional response, and evoke an interesting combination of hopefulness and melancholy. Most of the people who slag them have only heard the few songs on the radio, and they hate those songs because they've heard them a lot, not because they are bad songs.

Goons get mad about the dumbest loving things, so it's nothing to worry about, OP.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
mumford & sons sounds like a brand of baking powder or maybe shaving cream, well that's all I have to say

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Mumford & Sons are a bunch of rich guys doing music that is traditionally the domain of poor or at most middle class people. They are literally wearing poor-face.

Also their music sounds like The Dubliners but if the Dubliners were a bunch of limp wristed rich boy faggots.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

Loden Taylor posted:

Mumford & Sons are ok i guess

trampled by Turtles are better

lol

Cucking Mama
Sep 27, 2013

Gold Medalist, 2014 shit post olympics
the best music is made by rich people

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I loved Mumford and Sons' "I'm Gonna Be."

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Cucking Mama posted:

the best music is made by rich people

I would entertain an argument that the people who make the best music often times get rich.

I would not entertain an argument that says people who are rich because their daddy gave them a trust fund make the best music. Especially when that music is all supposed to be sad and about how much life sucks and they are lonely or whatever. I just don't buy that from a man who probably grew up sleeping on a bed made of solid gold while his prostitute nannies took turns sucking him off.

Mumford & Sons are fake folk music Robin Thicke.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
which one of them is the dad which one of them is mumford?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Copley Depot posted:

which one of them is the dad
Mumford.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mumford is the dad.

Cucking Mama
Sep 27, 2013

TheJoker138 posted:

I would entertain an argument that the people who make the best music often times get rich.

I would not entertain an argument that says people who are rich because their daddy gave them a trust fund make the best music.

entertain my dick with your mouth you jealous bitch

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

TheJoker138 posted:

I would not entertain an argument that says people who are rich because their daddy gave them a trust fund make the best music. Especially when that music is all supposed to be sad and about how much life sucks and they are lonely or whatever. I just don't buy that from a man who probably grew up sleeping on a bed made of solid gold while his prostitute nannies took turns sucking him off.

When you wrote this, how much of it did you base on Emilie Autumn?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Cucking Mama posted:

entertain my dick with your mouth you jealous bitch

"Boo hoo hoo I'm so sad and heartbroken, my daddy only bought me one new porsche"

Cucking Mama
Sep 27, 2013

dynastic wealth makes this guy almost as mad as music made by posers does

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
this band loving sucks hth

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

TheJoker138 posted:

Can you shut up? You're such an insufferable human being and you poo poo up every thread you post in.

turdriver
May 31, 2014

by XyloJW

Costello Jello posted:

Mumford & Sons are great at what they do. Their songs produce an emotional response, and evoke an interesting combination of hopefulness and melancholy. Most of the people who slag them have only heard the few songs on the radio, and they hate those songs because they've heard them a lot, not because they are bad songs.

Goons get mad about the dumbest loving things, so it's nothing to worry about, OP.
congratulations on having lovely taste in music

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Jose Oquendo posted:

Can you shut up? You're such an insufferable human being and you poo poo up every thread you post in.

I'm sorry I insulted your rich boy fake folk band.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

turdriver posted:

congratulations on having lovely taste in music

goonsgettingmadaboutthedumbestthings

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Costello Jello posted:

goonsgettingmadaboutthedumbestthings

only posters on something awful dot com have strong opinions about music

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

TheJoker138 posted:

Mumford & Sons are a bunch of rich guys doing music that is traditionally the domain of poor or at most middle class people. They are literally wearing poor-face.
Rich people are better at poor people things than poor people.

e: No poor has ever produced a song this awesome.

Saint Drogo fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Aug 6, 2014

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

rich people get music lessons, quality instruments to learn on, and get to go to high schools and universities that are dedicated to being music programs, where they are surrounded by industry people.

you know, instead of having to work a lovely minumum wage job while in public school so you can buy a used squier guitar and being forced strongly encouraged to take out crippling loans to attend generic business school, and ultimately end your life as that weirdo bass player in a cover band who wears novelty hats and cant keep a rhythm because he's too busy trying to be the next les claypool in his own mind

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Aug 6, 2014

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!
Mumford & Sons are DMB lite.

MadMattH
Sep 8, 2011

Saint Drogo posted:

Rich people are better at poor people things than poor people.

e: No poor has ever produced a song this awesome.

Pretty much every bluegrass or whatever folk musician you have that has ever existed would disagree.

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009
Well Mumford aint a great band but I do wonder if all those people who hate Mumford for being "inauthentic" because they play folk music despite being rich hate Lana Del Rey as much?

Yeah you're totally a self-styled gangsta Nancy Sinatra :rolleyes:

d3c0y2 fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Aug 9, 2014

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

i hate lana del rey because she was hyped up to the point that there was no way she could be anything other disappointing and then she turned out to be even worse than that

hope this helps?

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009

Pseudonym posted:

i hate lana del rey because she was hyped up to the point that there was no way she could be anything other disappointing and then she turned out to be even worse than that

hope this helps?

That's cool. I actually think she's kinda alright I just think it's weird how she can say she's a gangsta and everyone in the music journalism industry nods their head like that's not a stupid rich person thing to say and yet they rabidly snarl about Mumford's authenticity because they play folk music but are some kinda rich white dudes.

Like, either we hate all rich people who make "poor people" or pretend to be music/pretend to be "just like you poors" or we don't, can't have your cake and eat it right?

d3c0y2 fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Aug 9, 2014

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Ratios and Tendency posted:

The Decemberists were genuinely quite good from Castaways... though The Tain.

I totally forgot about The Tain. I think it got deleted off my computer somehow?

Part II fuckin' owns:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOYZuaLg0J0&t=138s

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

d3c0y2 posted:

That's cool. I actually think she's kinda alright I just think it's weird how she can say she's a gangsta and everyone in the music journalism industry nods their head like that's not a stupid rich person thing to say and yet they rabidly snarl about Mumford's authenticity because they play folk music but are some kinda rich white dudes.

Like, either we hate all rich people who make "poor people" or pretend to be music/pretend to be "just like you poors" or we don't, can't have your cake and eat it right?

honestly, whatever happened to disliking a band because they suck? or h*ck, at least because opinions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The only authentic bands died in obscurity, but Mumford and Sons are still terrible.

• Locked thread