Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Rory's gonna win hth

This year, the PGA Championship visits a majestic, enormous hall located in Asga - I mean a golf course in Louisville. Despite being less than 30-years-old, this will be its 6th major tournament. Tiger won when the PGA was last held here in 2000 in a dramatic playoff over Bob May, completing the third leg of the Tiger Slam, but he's probably not going to play this week because he tweaked his surgically repaired back in last week's tournament.

Air Times (ET)
Thu/Fri: TNT 1-7pm
Sat/Sun: TNT 11am-2pm, CBS 2-7pm

You'll be able to stream every day at http://www.pga.com/pgachampionship/ and on the PGA Championship app.

Marquee Tee Times (ET)
Bubba Watson, Martin Kaymer, Rory McIlroy: 1:45pm (1), 8:35am (10)
Jason Dufner, Y.E. Yang, Keegan Bradley: 1:55pm (1), 8:45am (10)
Jordan Spieth, Adam Scott, Lee Westwood: 8:15am (10), 1:25pm (1)
Padraig Harrington, Phil Mickelson, Tiger Woods (?): 8:35am (10), 1:45pm (1)

Odds
Rory McIlroy 5/1
Adam Scott 12/1
Sergio Garcia 16/1
Justin Rose 20/1
Phil Mickelson 25/1
Matt Kuchar 25/1
Keegan Bradley 25/1
Rickie Fowler 25/1
Tiger Woods 33/1
Henrik Stenson 33/1
Bubba Watson 33/1
Jim Furyk 33/1

My Top 5 Picks
Rory McIlroy
Sergio Garcia
Rickie Fowler
Keegan Bradley
Adam Scott

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Aug 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Gotta go with Rory on this one. I don't see Tiger playing either. I think he came back too fast, should've taken taken the rest of the year off to fully recover.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Pick The Hole Challenge is back! :toot: They all look pretty tough but I'm going with B.

Rory
Scott
Keegan
Bubba
Furyk

but really

Josh Lyman posted:

Rory's gonna win hth

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I find it hard to NOT pick the Rorinator Nikebot.V3 as it's stuck in Killdozer mode but the fact that he just won makes it harder. :psylon:

Gotta go through some research and see who owns at Valhalla.

Definitely picking Kenny Perry for sneaky old man Top 10 status.

mmmmmm, reports are saying the course has been made easier over the years for tourists and the pro's are going to smash El Tigre's 2000 -18. That means it's wide open. I'll go contrarian and not take Rory, Kameh, Scott, Rose, Phil.

Bubba
Speith
Rickie
Reed
Zach

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Aug 4, 2014

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I'm loving that this has become a thing :laugh:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Rory, Rickie, and Sergio are the obvious picks. For the other two, a lot of other potentials played well last week:

Keegan Bradley T4
Justin Rose T4
Grame McDowell T8
Adam Scott T8
Phil Mickelson T15

Phil shot a 62 on Sunday, but you can be super on for 1 round without it carrying forward. Conversely, Graeme's 66-66 on the weekend puts him slightly ahead of Adam Scott's 65-71 for me. Keegan had a solid 67-69 on the weekend, but Justin Rose has played better this season and recently.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

So I have 7-8 buddies and we all kinda did an impromptu PGA Championsip pool where we each picked one player on a group text and now I'm trying to figure out how to handicap each guy based on either their odds to win or their current OWGR standing. Any ideas on the best way to do this?

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
Like all put in $5, and payout based on odds, with the rest staying in the pot for the next tournament?

Sour Grapes
Dec 29, 2002

All you kids out there...
Bubba being his usual classy self and refusing to participate in the long-drive charity competition.

golfchannel.com posted:

AKRON, Ohio – With a helping breeze at his back and a downhill slope at the landing area, Bubba Watson busted a drive 424 yards on the 16th hole at Firestone CC on Saturday – the longest drive on the PGA Tour this season by 27 yards.

It stands to reason that the big-hitting Masters champion would be the favorite going into the return of the Long Drive Competition prior to next week’s PGA Championship.

Except for one little problem.

“I’m not going to do it,” Watson told GolfChannel.com after his round.

He currently leads the PGA Tour with an average driving distance of 313.6 yards.

“I’m there to play golf, not to hit it far,” said the namesake of BubbaGolf. “I’ve got to practice. I’ve never been to the course. I don’t need to worry about a long drive on the 10th hole.”

As for that 424-yarder on 16? It led to a bogey.

Watson tried to go for the green on the 667-yard hole – yes, 667 – and came up short with his second shot.

“I hit 5-iron downwind and I missed it. I knew when I hit it.”

I hate this guy and I hope DJ bangs his wife.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Sour Grapes posted:

Bubba being his usual classy self and refusing to participate in the long-drive charity competition.

I hate this guy and I hope DJ bangs his wife.

I don't get the hate for Bubba, he's one of my favorite players. I love that he just goes out and mashes the poo poo outta the ball. Where does all the hate for him come from?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

perhaps he doesn't want to gently caress himself up right before a major by trying to bomb drives. I don't think it's any different than guys not wanting to participate in the Home Run Derby

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

sportsgenius86 posted:

perhaps he doesn't want to gently caress himself up right before a major by trying to bomb drives. I don't think it's any different than guys not wanting to participate in the Home Run Derby

Agreed, or the slam dunk contest.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Bubba is sort of an aspie and according to some reports (even here) he is sort of a dick to fans/tournament organizers/volunteers, etc.

I recall an interview after this years Master's where one reporter asked him if he was suprised to play so well after not really playing well at all during the run up...Bubba's response was snarky as gently caress and basically "OH YEAH, I HAVE TWO GREEN JACKETS NOW HOW MANY DO YOU HAVE? I MUST BE PLAYING OK, Next question" just took the question as an insult or something.

I think we all love watching him carve balls all over the place along with his freebird spirit, home brewed swing, give zero fucks attitude, crazy videos and online "persona" though...and of course the General Lee.

Sour Grapes
Dec 29, 2002

mattfl posted:

I don't get the hate for Bubba, he's one of my favorite players. I love that he just goes out and mashes the poo poo outta the ball. Where does all the hate for him come from?

I generally dislike athletes that have zero respect for the fans that make playing a game for a living possible. For a guy whose marketing image is down-home good ol' boy he sure acts like a bitchy, spoiled prima-donna with fans, course conditions, course layouts, his caddy, reporters, other players, etc.

Bubba being bubba;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUA9g9HfRPg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eDTLapiIoc
http://www.weiunderpar.com/post/shocker-bubba-acts-bubba-like-in-france
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LRInLFd4YY&t=21s
http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/bubba-loses-focus-opens-76-hoylake/
http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golftalkcentral/watson-adamant-pga-tour-pace-play-needs-improve/

Seriously, gently caress that guy.

Sour Grapes fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Aug 6, 2014

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.
I seriously think fans like him mainly because his name is Bubba.

But yeah, guy is a colossal rear end in a top hat

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

ColdBlooded posted:

100% this.

Sour Grapes
Dec 29, 2002

ColdBlooded posted:

But yeah, guy is a colossal rear end in a top hat

His name is Gerry, but I think the nickname lends credence to the marketing construct; self taught, down to earth southern boy who loves jesus and his momma.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
Being one of the longest drivers, if not the longest, in the game, if he is outdriven or misses the fairway and loses, then it tarnishes his image. I hate the guy, too, but I'm not surprised that he didn't participate.

Sour Grapes
Dec 29, 2002

I don't know about the general viewing public, but I think less of him for refusing to participate than if he had just said gently caress it and put a dinger out there. Have fun with it and hit a happy gilmore shot then drop another, but don't turn your nose up and talk about how you're 'here to golf and not hit long drives'.

Bubba just seems to have a chip on his shoulder about everything.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
Why the gently caress should he let people take advantage of him?

Maybe (definitely) you should try less hard to find made-up reasons to hate people.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I like Bubba specifically because he has not a gently caress to give.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

sportsgenius86 posted:

I like Bubba specifically because he has not a gently caress to give.

Agreed.

Sour Grapes
Dec 29, 2002

shrughes posted:

Why the gently caress should he let people take advantage of him?

Maybe (definitely) you should try less hard to find made-up reasons to hate people.

How are they taking advantage of him by letting him hit a golf ball and giving the charity of his choice money if his goes furthest. You and bubba need to get some perspective.

What he did is the exact opposite of giving no fucks. Instead of just having fun and being a real person like everyone else and 'REJOICING' (we are still in the "year of rejoicing" aren't we?) he bitches about it all week and hits an iron off the tee and stalks away like a sulking baby.

vv Replaced it with a less sensational article that covered his on-course bitching and ownership of poor play.vv

Sour Grapes fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Aug 6, 2014

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I think Bubba is a product of a lot of things.
I think he's done dickish things, but a lot of the time it just seems like it gets blown out of proportion.

Here's a prime example of it from the linked article above about the British Open, here's the exact quote in the article:

quote:

It makes it tough for me, because I lose focus real fast for me," said Watson, as divisive a personality as you'll find in sports and who’s no stranger to blowing up and blaming others for his woes. "But there was no phone problem, there was no fan problem. It was just all on me. I didn't stay focused, didn't stay committed to what I was doing and it cost me dearly."

The gently caress is the guy supposed to say about something that bothered him? He flat out said it was his own fault. Out loud. At a press conference. And was still cast as the bad guy.

I don't even LIKE Bubba, but come on.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Bubba is a polarizing guy. I don't really care for him one way or another because I'm too busy writing Jordan Spieth's name on my trapper keeper.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
So is Tiger playing or what

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
He asked for an extension on his decision to play deadline, which is apparently common. He now has until his tee time on Thursday to pull out (or not).

So still probably not, but maybe?!

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I just want Tiger to win again :(

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!

Sour Grapes posted:

I generally dislike athletes that have zero respect for the fans that make playing a game for a living possible. For a guy whose marketing image is down-home good ol' boy he sure acts like a bitchy, spoiled prima-donna with fans, course conditions, course layouts, his caddy, reporters, other players, etc.

Bubba being bubba;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUA9g9HfRPg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eDTLapiIoc
http://www.weiunderpar.com/post/shocker-bubba-acts-bubba-like-in-france
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LRInLFd4YY&t=21s
http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/bubba-loses-focus-opens-76-hoylake/
http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golftalkcentral/watson-adamant-pga-tour-pace-play-needs-improve/

Seriously, gently caress that guy.

I'm really not fussed on Bubba either way but I also don't get the big deal out of, like, any of the above ^^

Oh and as far as the Elkington one goes, Elkington is a jackass and anyone who tells him to shove it wins points.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

ironlung posted:

Bubba is a polarizing guy. I don't really care for him one way or another because I'm too busy writing Jordan Spieth's name on my trapper keeper.

RIP TwentyYearOldJordanSpieth. I hope he wins just so we can start calling him MajorWinnerJordanSpieth. Plain old "Jordan Spieth" just doesn't sound right any more.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ironlung posted:

I don't really care for him one way or another because I'm too busy writing Jordan Spieth's name on my trapper keeper.

I just learned that these are still a thing

memories :unsmith:

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

BCRock posted:

He now has until his tee time on Thursday to pull out (or not).

You really teed this one up, didn't ya

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Golf Channel and stream.golfchannel.com are trained on Tiger on the driving range. :getin:

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Looks like Tiger has officially registered and is about to start his practice round.

Nothing like hitting a few balls on the range and doing zero putting/chipping before your only practice round prior to a major. He's either going to miss the cut or win by 8 strokes.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

BCRock posted:

Looks like Tiger has officially registered and is about to start his practice round.

Nothing like hitting a few balls on the range and doing zero putting/chipping before your only practice round prior to a major. He's either going to miss the cut or win by 8 strokes.
He's not winning, but he could scrape through the cut.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
I'm working the fairway laser on Friday and green laser on Saturday for my club's hole, and just got back from doing training on it since I missed the weekend one. I wandered around some afterwards and played Valhalla about a month ago. The course is in great shape, the heavy rough is short (as opposed to when I played it just before Derby and it was a couple feet high), so it's been defanged from that standpoint, and is set up for bombers off the tee with only a few exceptions (6, 13).

Working the shotlink laser is cool! The greenside distances, if you've ever wondered, are actually taken from a tower near / next to the camera tower, and you hit the ball with a very precise survey style laser. There's also a second person marking on a map of teh hole with 3'x3' grids. Fairway is similar, but the laser is closer to the normal laser you use, although you're still hitting the ball from a fixed location and there's a second guy doing the grid.

Should be a good weekend - it's in phenomenal shape.

Sour Grapes
Dec 29, 2002

jackyl posted:

The course is in great shape, the heavy rough is short (as opposed to when I played it just before Derby and it was a couple feet high), so it's been defanged from that standpoint, and is set up for bombers off the tee with only a few exceptions (6, 13).

Every PGA/LPGA event I've been to has been like this, two years in a row they had an LPGA event here on a links style course and the fescue had been trimmed to ankle height and de-thatched. They had the Canadian open at St. George's a few years ago and the rough had been rolled so it was all lying down towards the greens.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Keyser S0ze posted:

reports are saying the course has been made easier over the years for tourists

You need to be or know a member to get a tee time. Even most club pros, with the exception of the clubs that gave them reciprocals after they burnt out their greens post 2008 Ryder Cup, need to go that route to get their members tee times. They never give reciprocals for clubs redoing fairways or greens so they had a hard time getting that after the Ryder Cup.

Having said that, yes and no. The greens are less undulating than they used to be, but the major changes didn't exactly simplify it - look at 2:

http://www.pga.com/pgachampionship/news/jack-nicklaus-describes-changes-made-valhalla-pga-championship

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ESPN confirms Tiger will play in the tournament

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Livestream starts at 8:30am: http://www.pga.com/pgachampionship/multimedia/video/2014-pga-championship-live-video/

Morning group is Tiger, Phil, and Padraig. Afternoon group will be Rory, Bubba, and Kaymer.

Get. The gently caress. In. :getin:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Aug 7, 2014

• Locked thread