Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

where is that loving wall of no doubt dumb poo poo text from im not going to actually check this thread again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sluggo is mad
Jan 14, 2012

Buglord

Qadaffi Taffy
Oct 1, 2006

3.14159 26535 89793 23846 26433 83279 50288 41971 69399 37510
nice wall of text

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

op put these words in a "walking simulator" and someone will listen to them :rolleyes:

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
i can't wait till doom 4 comes out and its worse than doom one still.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Cursed Lumberjack posted:

Do you think Video Games is a singular noun phrase?

Do you think Video Games is a proper noun?

United States is I don't see why Video Games can't be.

Automatic Retard
Oct 21, 2010

PUT THIS WANKSTAIN ON IGNORE

Quickscope420dad posted:

Chain of events at my end of the screen:

1. See thread title

2. click thread

3. HOLY gently caress

4. didn't read

5. posted this

i am gay

gas thread murder you're OP

Thats the first wall o text OP that I didnt even bother reading at all. gently caress

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

not really bioware taught me everything I need to know about romance and avoiding the *shudders* friendzone

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
Hey OP, it's an Enter key and it's used to make paragraphs.

Yes, there is too much video games.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Kirk Johnson
May 25, 2014

by Ralp
I quite like highlighting and doing that right-click Google search thing on goon names whenever I read someone on here say something faggy or retarded and then I laugh because like 95% of the time the first results are for posts on Eve forums or some other video game poo poo alongside hours logged on Steam like it's a full-time job.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
video games are art

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Well, the shift in TV has gone from retard sitcoms (though they still exist) to semi-intelligent series that have consistent characters and a developing plot, so TV has gotten smarter.
We needed something to fill that void, so now videogames are our primary source of retard entertainment.

See, it fills an important niche in our lives.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
as a retard I'm pretty glad they exist

Forums Barber
Jan 5, 2011

Ahundredbux posted:

so in conclusion do you think video games are taking up too much of our societies cultural space or is it just a fad ?

you obviously don't know what the word society means, probably because you only talk to people who play video games all the times.

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013
I read every word of the OP.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Forums Barber posted:

you obviously don't know what the word society means, probably because you only talk to people who play video games all the times.

:rolleyes:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Whatever distract you from the leisurely jog to the grave and the eternity of nothingness that follows man.

Professor Cthulhu
Jul 14, 2007

I got my Associate degree at Miskatonic Community College.
So did you at least get a C on your Comp 101 paper, OP?

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
gaming has gone from something somewhat obscure to exploding into arcades then going into the home followed by turning into something only nerds would do (mostly
gaming has gone from something somewhat obscure to exploding into arcades then going into the home followed by turning into something only nerds would do (mostly computer games ) and now its exploded again especially because of mobile gaming such as the ipads and so on . This has made gaming something everyone knows about and participates in and it has been
popping up in situations that are unrelated to even video games, so called "gamification " in which you take ordinary activities and apply video game like rewards and progressions ( like leveling up) and apply them i.e. gain xp when you do 10 situps or whatever ., also games have penetrated the media especially coinciding with the transition from regular forms of non-interactive media like Television being shifted mroe and more into youtube where many popular "lets plays" and twitch streams have tonnes of viewers even professional gaming gets many views and has shown up on T V i think dota 2 internationalls were on ESPN or something. this means the kids today are growing up not only playing video games at their computers and consoles but also watching other people play it and playing games on their phones and whatnot in between so we have a constant stream of video games all the time. What consequences this will have for future society is obviously diffucult to figure out right away its just something we can wait and see the result of but either way do you think video games have penetrated social culture too much that it threatens to consume and replace all other forms of entertainment media or will it eventually just collapse upon itself when all the kids get tired of mine craft and call of duty. oh and another thing the deal with minecraft it seems to me that when we have these games pumping out instant gratification and the internet connecting people to easily form small-large communities of largely similar minded people they get easily bruised egos and know only to respond with anger to this, jus t have a look at the minecraft modding
gaming has gone from something somewhat obscure to exploding into arcades then going into the home followed by turning into something only nerds would do (mostly computer games ) and now its exploded again especially because of mobile gaming such as the ipads and so on . This has made gaming something everyone knows about and participates in and it has been
popping up in situations that are unrelated to even video games, so called "gamification " in which you take ordinary activities and apply video game like rewards and progressions ( like leveling up) and apply them i.e. gain xp when you do 10 situps or whatever ., also games have penetrated the media games especially coinciding with the transition from regular forms of non-interactive media like Television being shifted mroe and more into youtube where many popular "lets plays" and twitch streams have tonnes of viewers even professional gaming gets many views and has shown up on T V i think dota 2 internationalls were on ESPN or something. this means the kids today are growing up not only playing video games at their computers and consoles but also watching other people play it and playing games on their phones and whatnot in between so we have a constant stream of video games all the time. What consequences this will have for future society is obviously diffucult to figure out right away its just something we can wait and see the result of but either way do you think video games have penetrated social culture too much that it threatens to consume and replace all other forms of entertainment media or will it eventually just collapse upon itself when all the kids get tired of mine craft and call of duty. oh and another thing the deal with minecraft it seems to me that when we have these games pumping out instant gratification and the internet connecting people to easily form small-large communities of largely similar minded people they get easily bruised egos and know only to respond with anger to this, jus t have a look at the minecraft modding community where it is taboo to say the mod creator is wrong whenthey claim they own every aspect of the mod and need to monetize it even thought it's stated in the terms for the game that you forfeit the right to all your assets when you mod for the game its been like this forever and modders have accepted and respected that but now its no longer the default state of midn and they claim this superior sense of ownership as if they are not just applying a new coat of paint but rather are the ones that made the whole car if you know what i mean. now this is obviously just a small part of peopel but when they get so much exposure and you have rabid fanbases that support them ( also true for youtubers like pewdiepie ) they feel they can do no wrong and their fans feel no need to examine their behaviour and maybe for a second consider that this is not proper . if we lose or ability for critical thinking maybe this is really the final proof we need that the entertainment industry as a whole is supporting the development of video games as they send us into false worlds and teach us false morals through a constant system of skinnerboxing ( perform a simple task for immediate reward) thus placating the population creating a minimum of resistance that people feared and joked television would create but never did because in the end it was too far removed from the viewer while in video games you are a participant and percieve yourself as the master of the world even thought it is cleverly created just for this specific illusion of power and free will. in reality the designers are at all times in control of your actions and when you break off the path you'll know because the game itself will also break in undesirable ways . so in conclusion do you think video games are taking up too much of our societies cultural space or is it just a fad community where it is taboo to say qthe mod creator is wrong whenthey claim they own every aspect of the mod and need to monetize it even thought it's stated in the terms for the game that you forfeit the right to all your assets when you mod for the game its been like this forever and modders have accepted and respected that but now its no longer the default state of midn and they claim this superior sense of ownership as if they are not just applying a new coat of paint but rather are the ones that made the whole car if you know what i mean. now this is obviously just a small part of peopel but when they get so much exposure and you have rabid fanbases that support them ( also true for youtubers like pewdiepie ) they feel they can do no wrong and their fans feel no need to examine their behaviour and maybe for a second consider that this is not proper . if we lose or ability for critical thinking maybe this is really the final proof we need that the entertainment industry as a whole is supporting the development of video games as they send us into false worlds and teach us false morals through a constant system of skinnerboxing ( perform a simple task for immediate reward) thus placating the population creating a minimum of resistance that people feared and joked television would create but never did because in the end it was too far removed from the viewer while in video games you are a participant and percieve yourself as the master of the world even thought it is cleverly created just for this specific illusion of power and free will. in reality the designers are at all times in control of your actions and when you break off the path you'll know because the game itself will also break in undesirable ways .
o in conclusion do you think video games are taking up too much of our societies cultural space or is it just a fad omputer games ) and now its exploded again especially because of mobile gaming such as the ipads and so on . This has made gaming something everyone knows about and participates in and it has been
popping up in situations that are unrelated to even video games, so called "gamification " in which you take ordinary activities and apply video game like rewards and progressions ( like leveling up) and apply them i.e. gain xp when you do 10 situps or whatever ., also games have penetrated the media especially coinciding with the transition from regular forms of non-interactive media like Television being shifted mroe and more into youtube where many popular "lets plays" and twitch streams have tonnes of viewers even professional gaming gets many views and has shown up on T V i think dota 2 internationalls were on ESPN or something. this means the kids today are growing up not only playing video games at their computers and consoles but also watching other people play it and playing games on their phones and whatnot in between so we have a constant stream of video games all the time. What consequences this will have for future society is obviously diffucult to figure out right away its just something we can wait and see the result of but either way do you think video games have penetrated social culture too much that it threatens to consume and replace all other forms of entertainment media or will it eventually just collapse upon itself when all the kids get tired of mine craft and call of duty. oh and another thing the deal with minecraft it seems to me that when we have these games pumping out instant gratification and the internet connecting people to easily form small-large communities of largely similar minded people they get easily bruised egos and know only to respond with anger to this, jus t have a look at the minecraft modding
popping up in situations that are unrelated to even video games, so called "gamification " in which you take ordinary activities and apply video game like rewards and progressions ( like leveling up) and apply them i.e. gain xp when you do 10 situps or whatever ., also games have penetrated the media games especially coinciding with the transition from regular forms of non-interactive media like Television being shifted mroe and more into youtube where many popular "lets plays" and twitch streams have tonnes of viewers even professional gaming gets many views and has shown up on T V i think dota 2 internationalls were on ESPN or something. this means the kids today are growing up not only playing video games at their computers and consoles but also watching other people play it and playing games on their phones and whatnot in between so we have a constant stream of video games all the time. What consequences this will have for future society is obviously diffucult to figure out right away its just something we can wait and see the result of but either way do you think video games have penetrated social culture too much that it threatens to consume and replace all other forms of entertainment media or will it eventually just collapse upon itself when all the kids get tired of mine craft and call of duty. oh and another thing the deal with minecraft it seems to me that when we have these games pumping out instant gratification and the internet connecting people to easily form small-large communities of largely similar minded people they get easily bruised egos and know only to respond with anger to this, jus t have a look at the minecraft modding community where it is taboo to say the mod creator is wrong whenthey claim they own every aspect of the mod and need to monetize it even thought it's stated in the terms for the game that you forfeit the right to all your assets when you mod for the game its been like this forever and modders have accepted and respected that but now its no longer the default state of midn and they claim this superior sense of ownership as if they are not just applying a new coat of paint but rather are the ones that made the whole car if you know what i mean. now this is obviously just a small part of peopel but when they get so much exposure and you have rabid fanbases that support them ( also true for youtubers like pewdiepie ) they feel they can do no wrong and their fans feel no need to examine their behaviour and maybe for a second consider that this is not proper . if we lose or ability for critical thinking maybe this is really the final proof we need that the entertainment industry as a whole is supporting the development of video games as they send us into false worlds and teach us false morals through a constant system of skinnerboxing ( perform a simple task for immediate reward) thus placating the population creating a minimum of resistance that people feared and joked television would create but never did because in the end it was too far removed from the viewer while in video games you are a participant and percieve yourself as the master of the world even thought it is cleverly created just for this specific illusion of power and free will. in reality the designers are at all times in control of your actions and when you break off the path you'll know because the game itself will also break in undesirable ways .o in conclusion do you think video games are taking up too much of our societies cultural space or is it just a fad mmunity where it is taboo to say the mod creator is wrong whenthey claim they own every aspect of the mod and need to monetize it even thought it's stated in the terms for the game that you forfeit the right to all your assets when you mod for the game its been like this forever and modders have accepted and respected that but now its no longer the default state of midn and they claim this superior sense of ownership as if they are not just applying a new coat of paint but rather are the ones that made the whole car if you know what i mean. now this is obviously just a small part of peopel but when they get so much exposure and you have rabid fanbases that support them ( also true for youtubers like pewdiepie ) they feel they can do no wrong and their fans feel no need to examine their behaviour and maybe for a second consider that this is not proper . if we lose or ability for critical thinking maybe this is really the final proof we need that the entertainment industry as a whole is supporting the development of video games as they send us into false worlds and teach us false morals through a constant system of skinnerboxing ( perform a simple task for immediate reward) thus placating the population creating a minimum of resistance that people feared and joked television would create but never did because in the end it was too far removed from the viewer while in video games you are a participant and percieve yourself as the master of the world even thought it is cleverly created just for this specific illusion of power and free will. in reality the designers are at all times in control of your actions and when you break off the path you'll know because the game itself will also break in undesirable ways . aming has gone from something somewhat obscure to exploding into arcades then going into the home followed by turning into something only nerds would do (mostly computer games ) and now its exploded again especially because of mobile gaming such as the ipads and so on . This has made gaming something everyone knows about and participates in and it has been
popping up in situations that are unrelated to even video games, so called "gamification " in which you take ordinary activities and apply video game like rewards and progressions ( like leveling up) and apply them i.e. gain xp when you do 10 situps or whatever ., also games have penetrated the media games especially coinciding with the transition from regular forms of non-interactive media like Television being shifted mroe and more into youtube where many popular "lets plays" and twitch streams have tonnes of viewers even professional gaming gets many views and has shown up on T V i think dota 2 internationalls were on ESPN or something. this means the kids today are growing up not only playing video games at their computers and consoles but also watching other people play it and playing games on their phones and whatnot in between so we have a constant stream of video games all the time. What consequences this will have for future society is obviously diffucult to figure out right away its just something we can wait and see the result of but either way do you think video games have penetrated social culture too much that it threatens to consume and replace all other forms of entertainment media or will it eventually just collapse upon itself when all the kids get tired of mine craft and call of duty. oh and another thing the deal with minecraft it seems to me that when we have these games pumping out instant gratification and the internet connecting people to easily form small-large communities of largely similar minded people they get easily bruised egos and know only to respond with anger to this, jus t have a look at the minecraft modding community where it is taboo to say the mod creator is wrong whenthey claim they own every aspect of the mod and need to monetize it even thought it's stated in the terms for the game that you forfeit the right to all your assets when you mod for the game its been like this forever and modders have accepted and respected that but now its no longer the default state of midn and they claim this superior sense of ownership as if they are not just applying a new coat of paint but rather are the ones that made the whole car if you know what i mean. now this is obviously just a small part of peopel but when they get so much exposure and you have rabid fanbases that support them ( also true for youtubers like pewdiepie ) they feel they can do no wrong and their fans feel no need to examine their behaviour and maybe for a second consider that this is not proper . if we lose or ability for critical thinking maybe this is really the final proof we need that the entertainment industry as a whole is supporting the development of video games as they send us into false worlds and teach us false morals through a constant system of skinnerboxing ( perform a simple task for immediate reward) thus placating the population creating a minimum of resistance that people feared and joked television would create but never did because in the end it was too far removed from the viewer while in video games you are a participant and percieve yourself as the master of the world even thought it is cleverly created just for this specific illusion of power and free will. in reality the designers are at all times in control of your actions and when you break off the path you'll know because the game itself will also break in undesirable ways .
so in conclusion do you think video games are taking up too much of our societies cultural space or is it juscommunity where it is taboo to say the mod creator is wrong whenthey claim they own every aspect of the mod and need to monetize it even thought it's stated in the terms for the game that you forfeit the right to all your assets when you mod for the game its been like this forever and modders have accepted and respected that but now its no longer the default state of midn and they claim this superior sense of ownership as if they are not just applying a new coat of paint but rather are the ones that made the whole car if you know what i mean. now this is obviously just a small part of peopel but when they get so much exposure and you have rabid fanbases that support them ( also true for youtubers like pewdiepie ) they feel they can do no wrong and their fans feel no need to examine their behaviour and maybe for a second consider that this is not proper . if we lose or ability for critical thinking maybe this is really the final proof we need that the entertainment industry as a whole is supporting the development of video games as they send us into false worlds and teach us false morals through a constant system of skinnerboxing ( perform a simple task for immediate reward) thus placating the population creating a minimum of resistance that people feared and joked television would create but never did because in the end it was too far removed from the viewer while in video games you are a participant and percieve yourself as the master of the world even thought it is cleverly created just for this specific illusion of power and free will. in reality the designers are at all times in control of your actions and when you break off the path you'll know because the game itself will also break in undesirable ways .

so in conclusion do you think video games are taking up too much of our societies cultural space or is it just a fad ?

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

video games are just a fag

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
im gay

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

games are fun. i'll play you 1v1 anytime

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008
has anyone made a lana del rey joke yet

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

gigawhite posted:

games are fun. i'll play you 1v1 anytime

¿ what is your game spy handle ?

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp
you think games are a large part of society because you're a loving goon and its all you do

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Parallax Scroll posted:

video games are just a fag

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Bejeweled is the only game that matters cause it reduces everything to its purest form. Numbers, flashing colors, and loud noises,

Unless you gotta crush a bro in smash 64, then that's the ultimate game.

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS
Bungie's new video game Destiny, due to be released on 9/11/14, will reportedly end the current conflict in Gaza. When pressed for comments, the somethingawful echo chamber in the games subforum was quick to defend its beloved saviour of triple A gaming. "You're a gay jew if you think Destiny will be a mediocre game" one poster suggested, while another said that "The beta was so good I put 400hrs into it and it cured my islam".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dec 26, 2012

• Locked thread