Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gingerberger
Jun 20, 2014

Gotta love my Squirtle Swag
My girlfriend and several other friends eat Gluten free because it causes them GI pain. Well turns out that's not true and the guy who first published the study saying it's a thing did a bigger, more extensive study and now says it's definitively not a thing.

http://www.gastrojournal.org/article/S0016-5085(13)00702-6/abstract

TL;DR
The test subjects all claimed to have non-celiac gluten sensitivity. Through the tests they all had the same amount of pain in the gluteny diets as the placebo diets.
People who have gluten sensitivities are either actually sensitive to something else in bread (FODMAPs) or it's totally psychological.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

gluten is very triggering to me plz close this thread tia

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...
its not the gluten its the simple carbohydrates, Jerry!

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I don't eat gluton so I can avoid the sin of gluttony though

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
I eat lotsa bacon cause it's glutten free

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

glutens been makin this body kick rear end for a long time, keep shovelin that poo poo in me

Spunky Junior Reporter!
Jul 27, 2011

Fun Shoe
GGGLLLLLLUUUUUUTTTTTEEEEEEENNNN!!!!!!!!!!!

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
without gluten your bread will be garbage hth

gingerberger
Jun 20, 2014

causticBeet posted:

I eat lotsa bacon cause it's glutten free

I sprinkle gluten on my bacon.
And MSG

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
With this information I will go to the gluten free bakery, knock down all their displays, and smash their decorative cupcakes.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

my neighbor gave me some gluten free cupcakes at christmas and they were vile so i threw them away

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Don't tell my girlfriend's friends who eat junk and fast food then claim gluten allergies.

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe
people with food allergies should just die like nature intended

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

I luv the itty bitty Phillies!
Welcome to Gluten Bullshit :getin:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:

gingerberger posted:

My girlfriend

:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:

gingerberger
Jun 20, 2014

gggiiimmmppp posted:

my neighbor gave me some gluten free cupcakes at christmas and they were vile so i threw them away

girlfriend made my try gluten free cookies that tasted like brussel sprouts. That was the end of my trying crap.

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
People with gluten sensitivity are just genetically inferior like those folks who can digest milk. Really ?! Can't digest loving milk or

eat grains - how did you ancestors survive the agricultural revolution and animal domestication ?

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

gingerberger posted:

My girlfriend

lol

e: gently caress you franco :flame:

gingerberger
Jun 20, 2014

OK fine, my japanese body pillow...

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TiTP posted:

Thin Privilege is not having your carbohydrate sensitivity discarded as not a real thing by "scientists".

#oppression #fatactivism #Fat

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I have some really nice glutens

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
we've all had some good fun, but for serious biological research in general & medical research in particular is like batting <0.5 for replicable results at the mo

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Way to read your own loving paper, OP.

It clearly says

quote:

No Effects of Gluten in Patients With Self-Reported Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity After Dietary Reduction of Fermentable, Poorly Absorbed, Short-Chain Carbohydrates

quote:

in Patients With Self-Reported Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity

quote:

Patients With Self-Reported

goes on to say that

quote:

In all participants, gastrointestinal symptoms consistently and significantly improved during reduced FODMAP intake

so fermentable, poorly absorbed, short-chain carbohydrates are what is causing a lot of GI pain for people who think it is the gluten, not actually the gluten.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Aug 4, 2014

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

gluten's not the problem, it's wifi energy waves

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

woah you're 66% on your way to a goon turkey

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat
has anyone ever even seen a gluton

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
I don't believe this scientific mumbo jumbo. Non-celiac gluten sensitivity is just as real as heavy legs or fan death.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
for every gluten you don't eat im gonna eat two :911:

Death By Yogurt
Apr 3, 2007

As long as I get to feel smug and superior about something without having to actually do anything, that's all that really matters.

Quirkk
Sep 1, 2012

Arian_Samurai posted:

I don't believe this scientific mumbo jumbo. Non-celiac gluten sensitivity is just as real as heavy legs or fan death.

Wait. I know fan death. Please tell me more about heavy legs.

Also, I used to do testing for coeliac disease. loving hundreds of them a day. People were obsessed.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

This is a really cool study actually. Obviously Celiac disease is a real thing (despite the thread title) and those with it have a reaction to gluten. The rise of the "gluten free" diets came about because many who do not have Celiac Disease do actually feel a bit better when eating gluten free. But as this study is suggesting, that may be because they are intolerant of certain FODMAPs, likely fructans. Fructans include not only gluten, but all kinds of other things like garlic, cocoa powder, nuts, coffee, broccoli and onions.

So with Celiac disease you are allergic to 1 specific fructan, but a lot of people may be allergic to all fructans (as well as other types of FODMAPs).

edit: yes, I understand Celiac Disease isn't an allergy, my bad on that one.

Sophy Wackles fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Aug 13, 2014

Spider Helidon
Nov 4, 2010

by XyloJW
No we don't have gluten free beer we have real beer

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
You're just American and eat too much poo poo so whenever you eat something healthy and normal like bread, your stomach is all fuuuuuuuuuuck.

Quirkk
Sep 1, 2012

Pawn 17 posted:

This is a really cool study actually. Obviously Celiac disease is a real thing (despite the thread title) and those with it have a reaction to gluten. The rise of the "gluten free" diets came about because many who do not have Celiac Disease do actually feel a bit better when eating gluten free. But as this study is suggesting, that may be because they are intolerant of certain FODMAPs, likely fructans. Fructans include not only gluten, but all kinds of other things like garlic, cocoa powder, nuts, coffee, broccoli and onions.

So with Celiac disease you are allergic to 1 specific fructan, but a lot of people may be allergic to all fructans (as well as other types of FODMAPs).

It's not an allergy, it's an autoimmune disease.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
also lol if you stop eating gluten, there's a higher chance that your test for celiac's will show a false positive, so it's a positive feedback loop created by a bunch of worried white people

kill whitey, tia

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Pawn 17 posted:

Great now I can release my line of fructan free food and make millions off dumb white girls

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Quirkk posted:

Wait. I know fan death. Please tell me more about heavy legs.

Also, I used to do testing for coeliac disease. loving hundreds of them a day. People were obsessed.

Heavy legs is a illness that only French people get. Described as a "unpleasant sensation of pain and heaviness" in the lower limbs. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/from_our_own_correspondent/7779126.stm

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

gingerberger posted:

My girlfriend and several other friends eat Gluten free because it causes them GI pain. Well turns out that's not true and the guy who first published the study saying it's a thing did a bigger, more extensive study and now says it's definitively not a thing.

http://www.gastrojournal.org/article/S0016-5085(13)00702-6/abstract

TL;DR
The test subjects all claimed to have non-celiac gluten sensitivity. Through the tests they all had the same amount of pain in the gluteny diets as the placebo diets.
People who have gluten sensitivities are either actually sensitive to something else in bread (FODMAPs) or it's totally psychological.

WOAH who would of guessed hippy new age gluten free diets as suggested by the "gluten causes autism" crowd are not only totally loving useless and also terrible.

Celiac disease is a thing though and it loving sucks.

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...

Pawn 17 posted:

is this from warhammer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

pathetic little tramp posted:

also lol if you stop eating gluten, there's a higher chance that your test for celiac's will show a false positive, so it's a positive feedback loop created by a bunch of worried white people

kill whitey, tia

This is the opposite of the truth. You need to eat a gluten filled diet (at least two pieces of wheat bread daily) for two weeks prior to your test date. Not eating gluten prior to that date results in a false negative.

I'm interested to see them do more research on this. I've tested negative for celiacs twice but I definitely have trouble with lactose and gluten products so maybe this is why. Then again, oats are supposed to be low FODMAP and they lay me out unless they're gluten free oats.

JibbaJabberwocky fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 4, 2014

• Locked thread